Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

god please help me posted:

I happen to be in the market for something like a flash drive-sized PC just to stream videos on, but alas, the Compute Stick seems to have died a couple of years ago.

The real solution is a Chromecast with google tv running VLC streaming from your Synology NAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mantle posted:

The real solution is a Chromecast with google tv running VLC streaming from your Synology NAS.

Yes, this is pretty close.

Come on over to the Plex thread in HCH IYG, OP. We'll help you out.

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 1, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The form factor is a huge benefit, though. Most people don't want to Velcro poo poo to their television.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
ppl who don't want to Velcro poo poo to the back of their tv prob just pay for netflix

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People who don't Velcro poo poo to their TV make me sick.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Some of my stuff is VHB taped to it

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I tell you, I was honestly thinking about if I would just purchase a Raspberry keyboard with the embedded Raspberry Pi in it and use it that way for my Home Theatre experience, but I decided that I had no idea what I was doing, and decided to purchase a small Beelink PC for $50 instead. Thanks for the heads up for the Plex thread, I'll give that a look through.

I do plan eventually to purchase a plain Raspberry Pi keyboard though because the color scheme is charming and I like light scissor switches.

P.S. In regards to velcroing stuff to my TV, I've only velcroed a remote control before and stuck a sticker in the shape of a fried egg with a smiley face. Does that count?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Velcroing stuff to your television is a weird Shibboleth, but if that's what it takes to stay in this thread, I'll do it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cruft posted:

Velcroing stuff to your television is a weird Shibboleth, but if that's what it takes to stay in this thread, I'll do it.

Personally I wouldn't velcro anything to my TV, I'd just run a cable. But I couldn't imagine any other reason besides hiding cables that someone would be insistent on having a stick that plugged directly into the TV.

If the truth was that the reviews of the Intel Compute Stick in 2016 was their most recent exposure to a device that can stream video to the TV, my bad.

god please help me posted:

I tell you, I was honestly thinking about if I would just purchase a Raspberry keyboard with the embedded Raspberry Pi in it and use it that way for my Home Theatre experience

Do you have a smartphone? Because the state of the art in convenience is that the Pi or Chromecast or whatever has no keyboard or mouse plugged into it at all, and you use your phone as the controller.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I plug a stick into the back of the TV so that the rest of my family stands a chance of keeping the damned thing working if I'm ever hit by a bus.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I will admit to having a NUC velcroed to the back of my bedroom TV because the TV is on a wall mount and I don't want a cable swinging back and forth when I adjust it. An N100 on a stick would be an easier way of achieving the same thing.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
So basically nobody uses the VESA mount holes ever?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Alucard posted:

So basically nobody uses the VESA mount holes ever?

thats where the mount goes

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
My last like 2 months has been consumed with the task of just putting words on a e-paper display for less than the $35 pimoroni badger.
I've learned a lot about python, Linux, and electronics. Mostly learned that when they charge $35 it is not because they're greedy lol

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Same here, expect i'd been using the Waveshare 2.7 Inch Epaper Hat, for a few years now. Primarily chosen because it has four buttons I can use for Up, Down, Select and Cancel. Learned a heck of a lot about python down that road, and a bit about Linux. Grabbing some pictures I had lying around and slamming them into an online photo collager:

Runs a speedtest every four hours, posts the results to a google sheet, as well as storing them in a mysql database. Can display daily, weekly, monthly, yearly and all time summaries.

Has an analog clock, a flip clock, and a month calendar.

Current Weather and forecasts for the next seven days, thanks to the NOAA json APIs.

Tracks Sunrise, Sunset, Moonrise, Moonset, Solar Noon, Solar Midnight, Earth's Apsides, Solstices, and Equinoxes, Moon Phase, positions of the Sun and Moon on my local sky, Subpoints of the Sun, Moon, and the International Space Station, Day length and Twilight times using the skyfield package.

And can also shut down or reboot the Raspberry Pi.

It's also running as a FreshRSS server, and until earlier this afternoon, was my PiHole.

It takes about four seconds to refresh, so most of that stuff only refreshes on a 5 minute or longer timescale, with the flip clock (which, admittedly, doesn't actually flip, just changes once a minute) as the main exception. That said, the whole thing's a mess of horrible code and getting some of the libraries I chose to use on the thing was a nightmare, so even though I have the code in my bitbucket, I'm probably in for a couple weeks of looking things up again if the SD card dies and I have to redo this on another Pi.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I managed to let the smoke out of a waveshare hat by accidentally hooking it up backwards on a ribbon cable and burn myself, otherwise yeah all the code is awful.
I'm settling on epdlib for direct pi stuff and probably going with adafruit's libraries for pico stuff, but sometimes I get "e-paper busy" for no reason I can figure out and I have to sort of wiggle the e-paper ribbon connector to blip whatever high signal it's waiting on to go low.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

E paper chat has reminded me that I have a Pwnagachi project to finish.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Cojawfee posted:

Also, while it does seem like a lot of my posts in here are steering people away from the RPi, this is going to be another one of them. In addition to the CPU of your mini PC appearing to perform better than the RPi4, it's also x86. I'm sure it's getting better all the time for ARM stuff, but there's an x86 build for almost any software you'll need. if you ever need help troubleshooting something, chances are all the reddit and forum posts you find will have people who are running the x86 build of it. 99% of my time running linux on an x86 CPU I can just use the package manager to install the latest version of software with no issues. Whereas with the RPi, I was having to spend a bunch of time googling for a specific version of python modules that are already pre-compiled because just trying to install them with pip meant waiting hours for the pi to try to compile them itself, complaining about this other module being the wrong version (using some weird terminology for what version it wanted) and then failing. You never know when something is just going to be really frustrating for no reason and then there isn't any documentation of the exact issue you're having. I spent multiple days trying to figure out how to install the modules I needed to get my teammate's software to run on the raspberry pi for our senior design project. After finally getting the right words into google, I found someone with the issue that listed the commands to install the exact version of things I needed. Very frustrating.

As the owner of an IBM Power9 I'm using to type this right now, I have become familiar with the struggle to find precompiled packages. Fedora makes it easier to wrangle things than other options, Electron and Chromium notwithstanding, but "sorry, we didn't even know ppc64le was a thing, I dunno" is a pretty common response to asking project maintainers about official support. The situation is at least a bit better on the Pi due to the fact that millions of people are actually milling around and active in the ecosystem, but in sheer numbers x86 users simply outnumber everybody else by an order of magnitude. This GPIO to USB converter in combination with some 3D printed mounting brackets will hopefully simplify making my Picade's guts work with The Excavator SoC Time Forgot. But what I'm looking forward to most is not running into the limits of the Pi 3's GPU.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Probably a real simple question but I’m having trouble googling it, probably because I’m doing this from my phone. Anyhow:

I’m planning to use an optisolator to control a 10V DC signal. The way I have it drawn up is Pi 3v3 -> opto -> resistor -> Pi GPIO

That is, always-on 3v3 to the isolator, and sinking after a resistor with the GPIO pin. What I’m not clear on is how I should be configuring that GPIO pin, like input vs output, internal pull-up vs pull-down, etc. Not sure why this has me so confounded but it does.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Do you have a schematic?

Describing circuits is like describing code (without posting the code)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ha, yeah, sorry. Should have posted one when I was back at a computer that could pull up the schematic.

This is what I understand I ought to be doing. Driving the LEDs from a supply and sinking to the GPIO pins, as opposed to driving them from the GPIO pins as the current supply. Happy to be corrected.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For that setup, to control the 3v3 LEDs, you would set your GPIO to outputs and drive them high to turn off the LED. Both ends of the circuit will be 3v3, so no current will flow and the LEDs will turn off. To turn the LEDs on, you would drive the GPIO pins low to set them to 0v, will allows current to flow through the LEDs, into the resistors and drain into the GPIO pins. This is assuming that each pin can handle the current being drained into them and that the pi can handle the overall current.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thanks. Do I not need to explicitly mess with the internal pull-up/pull-down resistors, or is that implied to be taken care of by setting it to output and high/low as needed?

I wish I had the dang part in hand to tinker with, this is the slowest DigiKey order I've ever had. And it all started off with a multi-day "processing issue", followed by a really laggy handoff to UPS. :/

As for current, forward current is going to be like 3mA when running at 3.3V, I think. I'm bad at datasheets and it's been a not ideal weekend for this project. Here's the datasheet if anyone wants to have a gander: https://mm.digikey.com/Volume0/opasdata/d220001/medias/docus/967/LTV-816_826_846.pdf, expecting the next reply to be "that part won't work for what you have going on here" 😅

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 11, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Pull up and pull down resistors are for inputs, so you just have to set it to be an output pin. My only other concern is that the usual limits for raspberry pis are for source currents. The values being 16mA per pin and 50mA total. That's all fine and dandy, but chips often have different max values for source and drain currents. In this case, you are using the pins as a drain, and I don't know what the drain limits are for the pi.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

With the isolator in hand, I was able to actually try it out. Works great! Here I am using it just as a mild logic level converter from 3v3 to 5V, but close enough for round one. Next I'll be trying out controlling the 10V signal. If that works, this thing'll be fully proven and ready to go. Thanks!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wooo!

https://i.imgur.com/zhZ5QZo.gifv

Ignore the righteous mess on the desk, I was working on this while trapped in a late meeting, just crammed all the needed poo poo in

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Has anyone tried ip streaming a cam feed on a Pi zero W using an OV5647 sensor?

Any good low latency packages? Tried Libcamera and the latency was abysmal even at 480p 5fps. 5 seconds for 480p and like 10 for 720p.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Bad Munki posted:

Wooo!

Ignore the righteous mess on the desk, I was working on this while trapped in a late meeting, just crammed all the needed poo poo in

Genuinely curious, what’s this for again?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

eightysixed posted:

Genuinely curious, what’s this for again?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734807&pagenumber=127#post533717530

I kind of had it in my mind all along that I could control this thing from a Pi or similar. Wary of fizzling out from scope creep, though, I just set the sliders and put it on an outlet timer. Which works great! But what we're finding as fall comes along and the days get shorter is that it's incredibly aggressive to have the thing going full bore into the evening. Since I actually have two of these builds going in tandem, where I can have one functional and leap frog the other a step, and then vice versa, I decided to go ahead and see what I could make happen.

So, the goal here is to have the light in the thing dim down in the evening, and up in the morning as well, instead of just running at whatever I had it set to until it slams off. In other words, I want it to run a gentle sunset/sunrise.

I'm doing it via a Pi so I can trivially run a little python-based web server to let me manage the configuration. Maybe monitor some telemetry like humidity/temperature while I'm at it. I even have a notion of giving it a location on the earth (or just a latitude) and it'll determine the sunrise/sunset at that location and simulate the daylight cycle (adjusted for local time zone).

It's a vastly over-engineered thing and I'm having a blast.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Are you using Flask?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So far, yeah. It’ll just be me accessing the interface so the requirements are low.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Bad Munki posted:

Wooo!

holy moly this is cool

I was watching it for a minute before noticing it was on a 2 second loop

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

sb hermit posted:

holy moly this is cool

I was watching it for a minute before noticing it was on a 2 second loop

Well I watched it for like 30 minutes irl so don’t feel bad

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Intel bought a substantial stake in ARM immediately before the IPO was announced

https://news.yahoo.com/intel-announces-arm-investment-talks-120117456.html

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hadlock posted:

Intel bought a substantial stake in ARM immediately before the IPO was announced

https://news.yahoo.com/intel-announces-arm-investment-talks-120117456.html

lmao nothing says self-confidence as a business like investing in your biggest competition

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

well, they probably have self confidence in their foundry business, which will produce chips designed by other companies, given that TSMC is having a heck of a time with building their Arizona plant

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I still remember that Intel used to have StrongARM/XScale before selling that off. I guess they still won’t be designing ARM chips for their own products but will still help other people bring their ideas to market.

They also still have a RISC-V board coming out “real soon”, despite killing their Pathfinder initiative earlier this year.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Blogs/Tech-Innovation/open-intel/What-s-in-store-for-the-latest-RISC-V-development-board/post/1448348

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Didn't Intel do ARM a while back with their XScale stuff?

E:f,b

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

yes

they bought it from DEC if I remember correctly, in the late 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bad Munki posted:

So far, yeah. It’ll just be me accessing the interface so the requirements are low.

Have it speak MQTT and then you can type raw MQTT into the broker to feel like a hacker.

Amazing build, BTW. All that care about routing and hiding stuff tickled my brain in exactly the right way.