Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Xykon also knows exactly where to teleport to

edit: actually the timeline is ambiguous. It depends on whether or not some time passed between R&X heading off to the Astral Plane and the Order arriving at the Canyon.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Did anyone else think of the Creeping Doom spell? Then again that's centipedes and normal bugs would be attracted to a pile of corpses too, but just at first glance that's what I thought of.

Although yeah my money's on this all being a complex illusion - he's an epic-level illusion, what illusion is more epic in scope than crafting what appears to be an epic illusion maze that has been destroyed from within?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Maybe the bodies didn't smell like rotting corpses to Belkar because they're not rotting so much as mummifying?

People seem to be forgetting that this is set in a major desert. Mummified remains probably smell weird, compared to a rotting corpse. And belkar has probably never smelled a mummy before.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Johnny Aztec posted:

People seem to be forgetting that this is set in a major desert. Mummified remains probably smell weird, compared to a rotting corpse. And belkar has probably never smelled a mummy before.

Mummified corpses don't smell nearly as bad. Still not great, but nowhere near as bad.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cuchulain posted:

Mummified corpses don't smell nearly as bad. Still not great, but nowhere near as bad.

Also mummified corpses are, well, mummified.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!

Dolash posted:

Did anyone else think of the Creeping Doom spell? Then again that's centipedes and normal bugs would be attracted to a pile of corpses too, but just at first glance that's what I thought of.

Although yeah my money's on this all being a complex illusion - he's an epic-level illusion, what illusion is more epic in scope than crafting what appears to be an epic illusion maze that has been destroyed from within?

Creeping Doom would be insanely more creepers than that, even as it now exists in 3.5 (I laugh to think of how it was in 2e).

...hey! OotS hasn't made a single joke about the swarm rules, have they? Think of the potential.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
New comic! It's uhhhhh...

Well it's certainly a thing alright.

I'm far from being an expert on DnD rules but that looks like Creeping Doom to me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

You bastard.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'm liking the Familicide option. The description of the spell is that "Every living creature that shares your bloodline is dead. Every living creature that is directly related to any of those those creatures is also dead."

So let's say that Girard's big secret was that he was a Black Dragon who shapeshifted into human form for the duration of the Order of the Scribble quest, and then found that he liked it and stayed that way. Or, alternatively, that he was half dragon in the first place.

That means that when the Familicide went off, it killed him and all his descendants in one go. It also killed everyone related to those descendants, and since Penelope was the mother of one of Girard's descendants, it took her out too. Since neither Nale nor Tarquin killed Penelope, and no one else had reason to, I'm guessing that V did it, because Rich loves to play the unintended consequences card. And since we all thought that the only downside to casting Familicide was the stain on V's soul, to have it come back to bite the team in the rear end is just how he likes to run things.

Seriously. Elan blows up the castle, which sics Miko on the Order. Celia gives Roy the Summoning Charm, but since she doesn't realize he can't shoot lightning, it contributes to Roy's death and helps Haley get her rear end moving when she needed to. Nale infiltrates the Order to get revenge on Elan by killing his friends and ends up putting the IFCC onto the whole Gate situation through Sabine. And so on and so forth. Dude loves writing his twists and turns, and having V's rage induced Familicide end up slaughtering the defenders of the very Gate he/she's out to protect is exactly the kind of thing Rich would do.

My money's on V's Familicide, both because it's the most dramatic possibility, but also because it's the kind of twist our favorite millionaire enjoys writing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jng2058 posted:

So let's say that Girard's big secret was that he was a Black Dragon who shapeshifted into human form for the duration of the Order of the Scribble quest, and then found that he liked it and stayed that way. Or, alternatively, that he was half dragon in the first place.

Hell, he could be one one hundredth or so dragon, with the dragon blood being nothing more than an old family story and his surname at this point. That dragon V killed was an oldie.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Five bucks says the statue of Girard is actually Girard petrified. So he could be unfrozen one day to fight once more!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I find the Familicide thing unlikely because I really doubt that we're not going to get a reveal of Haley/her dad being related to Draketooth in some fashion and she's pretty noticeably not dead.

Speedball posted:

Five bucks says the statue of Girard is actually Girard petrified.

Also this.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

ImpAtom posted:

I find the Familicide thing unlikely because I really doubt that we're not going to get a reveal of Haley/her dad being related to Draketooth in some fashion and she's pretty noticeably not dead.

Them being just distant enough to escape the spell would not be out of sorts.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

For Those wondering how they could get just the digital stuff and not the magnet for the kickstarter drive, I just got a survey from kickstarter asking for my shipping address and if I wanted a magnet or just the digital stuff. So there's your answer.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ImpAtom posted:

I think the Western Continent plot arc has had enough unexpected family reunions as it is :sax:

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

I think the Western Continent plot arc has had enough unexpected family reunions as it is :sax:

They called Haley's dad Red. He had a place in the desert to run to. He is totally a Draketooth.

Think of symmetry, both Elan and Haley going through this.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I'm far from being an expert on DnD rules but that looks like Creeping Doom to me.

Welcome to two pages ago. :v:

Galahad
Oct 13, 2004
My money is that it is all an illusion, you notice that Durkon hasn't gone into the room yet and he still has True Seeing running. Either way I suspect we will find out when he enters the room.

Is there any way an illusionist can overcome true seeing? That would sort of be the ultimate illusion. Of course if something is that real, perhaps it really is real, as opposed to just an illusion. So it would be an illusion so real it IS real. Wheels within wheels man.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

The spell Major Image actually creates smells, by the way. So an epic level Illusionist could have made a fake version of this scene fairly easily. Though jng2058 made a compelling argument, I think I'm tossing my vote in with his.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Galahad posted:

My money is that it is all an illusion, you notice that Durkon hasn't gone into the room yet and he still has True Seeing running. Either way I suspect we will find out when he enters the room.

Is there any way an illusionist can overcome true seeing? That would sort of be the ultimate illusion. Of course if something is that real, perhaps it really is real, as opposed to just an illusion. So it would be an illusion so real it IS real. Wheels within wheels man.

Well, we are dealing with epic level magic. It's possible to overcome non-epic magic just by using epic magic. An epic level illusion could definitely beat true seeing, especially since an illusionist would know that true seeing exists and could work to create an illusion spell that would defeat it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Galahad posted:

He could always bake Seed: Ward into his epic illusion.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Maybe the big reveal is that Draketooth isn't a magical illusionist at all and is in fact just really really good at doing mundane special effects.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Please cast Raise Dead and ask what the hell's going on. :ohdear:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tinyn posted:

They called Haley's dad Red.

So? Haley was referred to as "Red" long before.

Dedhed
Feb 27, 2005
I strongly doubt we'll see Draketooth alive. I'll bet he died of natural causes like Dorukan and Soon did. I mean, their adventure happened a really long time ago.

I mean, Lord Shojo wasn't the ruler of city after Soon, Shojo's father was. And Shojo himself was a small child when Soon retired. Even if Draketooth is younger then Soon, he would still be long dead of old age.

If I had to wager what happened to the people, I'll bet that somebody poisoned everyone to keep them from revealing the secret. I'll bet it was Draketooth :D.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Javid posted:

Them being just distant enough to escape the spell would not be out of sorts.

Yeah but then more of the family members at the pyramid would have survived.

Dedhed posted:

Dorukan
You think disappearing 6 months prior to the first book is natural causes? SoD spoiler Xykon killed him and soul trapped him in a gem with Lirian

Edit:
Also if girard was part dragon like people are suggesting he would have a longer lifespan so could still be alive, even without epic level magic, whichis likely to have kept Dorukan alive.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 25, 2012

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Honestly, I'm also liking the "Girard is the statue" version. Given that he was paranoid about Soon and the Sapphire Guard coming for his Gate, I don't think he'd let something as paltry as death slow him down. No, I can see him having himself petrified with some kind of Contingency spell set to cast Stone to Flesh as soon as the Gate's threatened or one of his descendants calls out the command word or something.

And, since he wasn't alive when it was cast, being a statue protected him from the Familicide...and means that we've got a paranoid and likely vengeance crazed Epic Ranger(?)Rogue(?)/Illusionist ready to make this a four way battle between the Order, the Guild, Team Evil, and the crazy Illusionist.

Should be epic, and not just because there'll be at least two Epic Level characters involved.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Dramatically, it makes the most sense if Serini is the only Scribble member that the Order of the Stick actually gets to meet. Anyone who was there is gong to be able to answer a lot of questions, and that'll probably get held off until the finale.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

CapnAndy posted:

Dramatically, it makes the most sense if Serini is the only Scribble member that the Order of the Stick actually gets to meet. Anyone who was there is gong to be able to answer a lot of questions, and that'll probably get held off until the finale.

Yeah but even if the party meets Girard then its incredibly unlikely even if they get in his good books that he will answer their questions.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rumda posted:

Yeah but even if the party meets Girard then its incredibly unlikely even if they get in his good books that he will answer their questions.
Or, alternatively, Girard could give them his own personal, highly biased version of events, and Serini could provide a different point of view.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
In the podcast interview Burlew gave recently, he hinted that we would get to hear some more details about the history of the Order of the Scribble, and why Girard distrusted Soon in this arc.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 25, 2012

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
Ho-lee poo poo. Wild rear end speculation ahoy:

- If Girard was in some way part dragon, AND
- If he's related to Haley's dad, and thus Haley, AND
- If Haley knows about the first two, THEN

It could explain Haley's deep secret. The one that was never revealed back when she lost the ability to speak. The one that was phrased to sound like she was about to confess to being "not exactly what you would call” human.

Waaaaaaay back here.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The flaw in your theory is that she's not dead.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Geshtal posted:

Ho-lee poo poo. Wild rear end speculation ahoy:

- If Girard was in some way part dragon, AND
- If he's related to Haley's dad, and thus Haley, AND
- If Haley knows about the first two, THEN

It could explain Haley's deep secret. The one that was never revealed back when she lost the ability to speak. The one that was phrased to sound like she was about to confess to being "not exactly what you would call” human.

Waaaaaaay back here.

Haley did claim to be half-dragon once, even if it was in jest

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Bobulus posted:

The flaw in your theory is that she's not dead.

There could be a relation-distance thing. The core Draketooths were a little inbreed so they stayed a high-fraction of dragon, while Haley's Dad left, and maybe his Dad left too, so they fell below the familicide cutoff.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What would happen if you tried to Speak With Dead on an epic illusion strong enough to defeat True Seeing?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tinyn posted:

There could be a relation-distance thing. The core Draketooths were a little inbreed so they stayed a high-fraction of dragon, while Haley's Dad left, and maybe his Dad left too, so they fell below the familicide cutoff.

I would point out that according to this strip, the modus operandi of the Draketooth clan seems to be to breed with outsiders, probably to directly avoid inbreeding, and then run away with the kids before they're old enough to remember their original life.

Assuming Haley IS part Draketooth AND the Draketooths are part Black Dragon, she should be dead.

So one of those two assumptions is probably wrong.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0838.html Roy asks Belkar if the smell is rotting corpses, and Belkar says no...so whats the deal with that exactly?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
That the corpses are not rotting, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
I get that... hence the question, whats the deal?