Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

WolfensteinBag posted:

I mean, hell, people tend to get ANY Primitive Breed without knowing what they're getting in to
I've only ever had Primitive Breeds and my parents had Finnish Spitzes when I was growing up (don't know if they count as Primitive or not). The funny thing is, right now I'm itching to get a Belgian Shepherd or Border Collie, just to see if it would be different (I'm guessing it would :3: )

Also, I have a surplus of pics of Primitive Breeds doing Agility. To alleviate this, have an Agility Malamute:

and a Lapponian Herder

and a Finnish Lapphund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Rixatrix posted:

and a Finnish Lapphund

D'aww, he looks so proud of himself :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Rixatrix posted:

Also, I have a surplus of pics of Primitive Breeds doing Agility. To alleviate this, have an Agility Malamute:

"I'm the prettiest agility dog" :3:

Edit: To contribute, some agility Vlcaks

rivals fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 16, 2010

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Not agility (these guys in particular would never DREAM of listening to do something like that...), but last night we had a meetup at the dog park! No one came except the usuals (my friends and I) though other people RSVP'd yes. :argh: But we did have 5 Shibas there, and by chance, a Basenji!

Blurry because it was dark and those suckers move fast. :<

Koji says "Who dat is?"

Bailey and Yuki

Koji wants to call it a night...

The others don't

Okay, maybe Yuki...

Bailey standing pretty. :3:

EVERYONEBUMRUSHTHEGATE!NEWDOGS! (actually, two dogs they all knew)

Those agility dogs all look like they're having a GREAT time. :3:

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Hahahaha, I love how at the dog park when a person walks up with their dog ALLLL the dogs rush the gate to see who it is. Cosmo's first time they all rushed up to see him and he had this 'WTF is going on here...I dont think I like this...' Look/vibe about him. Until he realized everybody wanted to be friends :)

Umilele
Aug 12, 2007
This thread makes me happy. I worked at two dog daycares over the span of 3ish years and every single husky I dealt with was a complete and utter rear end in a top hat. I'm sure this was a result of them being owned by people who probably shouldn't have any dog, let alone a goddamn husky, but it ended up leaving a bad taste in my mouth for the breed. I would looove to meet primitive dogs with competent owners. They seem so fascinating. I could never own one - I like clingy, biddable dogs (which is why I got my loveable dumbass Brittany :downs:) but I'm sure I could still like them.

Plus, they're so drat pretty :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Totally geeking out here. :3:

First off, hubby said we could get an Akita after we get a house, which by the time we're settled and all probably won't be for about a year or more, but still. So I've just recently gotten in contact with an awesome breeder out in Cali to pick his brain and get familiar, and turns out he was the President of the LA branch of the Akita Inu Hozonkai for 6 years, and he's going to Japan for his 7th visit this December to visit breeders and attend the big show in Nagano.

AAH. :keke:

(ohgodIwantanAkitapuppywtfisWRONGwithme?!)

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
You better not be leaving DFW <:mad:>

(I wouldn't blame you if you did though)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Hahah, nah. We'll be staying in the area (hopefully just moving down the street from where we already live, nice affordable houses there and we love where we are right now), it's just there are only a small handfull of AI breeders in the US and one of them that I like is not only in California but less than an hour from my sister! So when I go home to visit family (I grew up in LA), we can just trek over to their place and geek out over their dogs (they said they had someone over recently and they just hung out with the dogs and talked for five hours! :swoon:)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

:neckbeard: AKITA PUP. Would you mind posting the breeder's page or even just where in CA he is? I need to know where in CA there are cute, well bred Akitas, you know, for science.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Haha, sure! Their page is actually prety bad, but it's here:

Kobun Kennels

There's some pictures of a few of their puppies on this page, though (a GREAT resource I've been using for the writeup).

I LOVE all the colors, I don't know if I'll be able to choose. The red brindles are a favorite, then I see the reds, then the regular brindle...aaah. I'll probably just have to have Ben choose for me.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Holy poo poo they're beautiful. I've never seen most of those colors before. Also that first image on the breeder's site is awesome.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

:goonsay:

That's because these are Japanese Akitas, and Akitas that most people have seen are the American type, where they are broader, stockier, have a more bear-like face and the pinto markings is not only more common but accepted, where in JAs, it's a serious fault (lots of huffy reasons for this I'll cover in my post.)

Personally, I prefer JAs to AAs, but they're both awesome dogs. There are only slight temperament differences between the two, though looks are the huge difference, which is why many other places consider them two breeds (except Canada and USA, because we're apparently retarded...) If one of these dogs were to be shown in the opposite show (JA in AKC or AA in NIPPO) they'd so lose.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

paisleyfox posted:

That's because these are Japanese Akitas, and Akitas that most people have seen are the American type, where they are broader, stockier, have a more bear-like face and the pinto markings is not only more common but accepted, where in JAs, it's a serious fault (lots of huffy reasons for this I'll cover in my post.)

Yeah I had never known that until you mentioned it earlier in the thread. Of the Japanese ones I had only seen the red color before. After looking at this though I'll agree I prefer them over the American ones.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Akitas are awesome, and when my situation is right in a few years I'll look into getting one. Can't wait for an Akita post. :D

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Paisley I now hate you for that. You have rekindled my girlfriend's love for Akitas.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Are any of you guys going to go into detail on some of the rarer primitives like Tosa Inus? I don't know much about them but they seem interesting and I would love to read more!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:3: Akitas are so freakin' cute. I love that Japanese Akitas are like giant shibas. I don't quite get why the Americans changed them so much when they brought them over, but why do we do that to any breed I suppose. :rolleyes: I can't wait for your post!

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

I love that Japanese Akitas are like giant shibas.

This. They look like Shibas on steroids, I love it. I am now obsessed with the brindle varieties as well :swoon: I'm very much looking forward to the post!

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Pardalis posted:

Are any of you guys going to go into detail on some of the rarer primitives like Tosa Inus? I don't know much about them but they seem interesting and I would love to read more!

I wasn't planning on writing about Tosa (since they're pretty much Japanese Mastiffs) but I do have a bit of information on them in one of my books I'd be more than happy to share! They actually kind of tie into Akita history a little bit as well.

And WB, don't worry, I've written on why there is such a difference. (spoiler: it wasn't entirely our fault!)

I keep trying to finish this up at work, but weekend shifts are hard since I'm the only one working during the day. :P

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
No talk about primitive breeds could be completed without "Dogs in Elk"

http://www.jerrypournelle.com/reports/jerryp/dogsinelk.html

Short synopsis. Owner has two dogs (one is a Basenji, the other I can't remember), dogs get a hold of an elk carcass, dogs get *inside* the elk carcass and begin eating and won't leave. The ending of the tale is hilarious primitive doggy behaviour.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

”Is That a Wolf?”
New Wolflike Dog Breeds

”So I can’t own a wolf, and I shouldn’t own a hybrid… what the hell CAN I own?”

There’s no denying that wolfy looking dogs are freakin’ adorable. Naturally, there is an appeal to these dogs so people are constantly looking for dogs that are more and more wolfy. While getting a hybrid is risky, there have actually been a number of breeds developed in recent generations that are very wolfy-looking, but actually are registered dog breeds or at least have their own breed registration/tracking. Even though these are all breeds that have their own standards and breed clubs, some are better than others in terms of suitability for homes, the breed actually breeding true, and reputable breeders. All of these breeds differ for various reasons, so like anything else, you should do a lot of research before diving in and buying one.

Czechoslovakian Vlcaks

This is by far my favorite breed, so I’m going to be very bias and write an awful lot about them. :colbert: The Czechoslovakian Vlcak (pronounced almost like “veelchuck”), or Czechoslovakian Wolfdog, was developed in the late 1950s as a genetic experiment to see the results of breeding wolves to dogs, specifically with German Shepherds. Once it was determined that wolves and dogs can interbreed and produce fertile offspring, it became obvious that further developing these dogs could have its advantages. Breeding then became regulated and the Czechoslovakian Vlcak was born. The idea behind breeding these dogs was to create an ideal border patrol dog for former Czechoslovakia (hence why the name is still in play). These dogs had the working drive of the GSDs used to create them, but had more stamina for hours of outdoor work, had a more wolf-like, weatherproof coat, and were bred mainly for trailing (although there were dogs that were used to actually apprehend border crossers). Unlike GSDs, CsVs were intended to work more independently in terms of problem solving. Where GSDs worked closely with a handler taking strict instruction, CsVs were expected to locate individuals without instruction, although they were also expected to take instruction when necessary, and to still work well with a handler.

Nowadays, these same ideals are in place with CsV breeding. The breed is recognized by the FCI along with various other registries (including full registration in the UKC in the US, along with AKC Foundation Stock registration). One of the most amazing things about the breed is that every dog’s pedigree has been tracked back to the foundation stock of 2 wolves and about 20-30 GSDs. This amazing database has allowed for careful tracking of breeding to ensure genetic diversity and careful tracking of health issues (taking particular note of issues that commonly face GSDs). This allows breeders to develop particularly healthy lines and also to find suitable matches from all over the world. It also (as of the last update) flags you as to whether dogs are unregisterable with the FCI and whether they actually come from mixed origin so it’s much easier to see where the particularly bad breeders are.

Although the CsV does indeed have wolf content, these days it’s considered a dog breed “with recent wolf addition” as opposed to an actual hybrid, and are completely legal to own. They are indeed mainly dog-like aside from the typical characteristics you would find in any Primitive Breed dog, but they still aren’t an “easy” breed to own by any means. They are working dogs and need to be treated as such. A good description of what they’re like would be a high drive, working GSD, with a husky’s thought process when following commands. This actually lends itself well to Search and Rescue work, especially since it is so similar to the CsV’s original function of trailing. Other CsVs are also working in Schutzhund, police/military work, rescue work, and even mushing. Most CsV owners will just do whatever job their particular dog prefers to do, without focusing specifically on one task and breeding for that.

Here is an excerpt from the Proposed Breed Standard for the AKC regarding temperament:

Standard Temperament posted:

Temperament. The Czechoslovakian Vlcak is confident, lively, active, tough, obedient with quick reactions, suspicious, fearless and courageous. The Czechoslovakian Vlcak shows tremendous loyalty towards his master. The Czechoslovakian Vlcak is resistant to weather conditions, and possesses the capability of great endurance. An aggressive or overly shy dog must be disqualified. A dog with faults in demeanor and temperament must be disqualified.

Right now, the breed is extremely young in the US. As of right now, the only active breeder (who has produced the first and only litter in the US) is Marcy Goldstone of Galomy Oak in Virginia. There is at least one other person looking to start a kennel down the line that’s actually close (Jason Young, Americani Kennels) and the owner of the only female from Galomy Oak’s first litter is planning on breeding down the line as well. With such a young breed, it is important to import as many dogs as possible so a broad genetic base can be established, avoiding bottle necking that has happened with so many breeds (including GSDs) in the past.

For more info on CsVs, the best place to look would be the Wolfdog.org Forums. With forums including a whopping ten different languages, it is a worldwide group of breeders and breed fanciers that I’ve not seen anywhere else. For more contacts in the US, you can also visit the Czechoslovakian Vlcak Club of America (CsVCA). If you’re more interested in the breed standard, someone linked to this Power Point that goes through aspects of the breed standard pictorially. An awesome way to become familiar with the breed, and also super cute. :3: (I used the link that’s posted in the other thread, that starts the download from wolfdog.org. I can’t find how to actually find it on the website, so if there’s some rule against this, let me know and I’ll take this down.)

Saarloos Wolfhounds

Oddly enough, the Saarloos is the result of a very similar experiment, only in a different area. Wolves were crossed with GSDs as a genetic experiment (in this case, trying to create an immunity to Distemper). The dogs were kept on and developed into a breed. However, the difference here is that where CsVs were employed straight off as working dogs, where Saarloos were ONLY bred with medical concerns in mind. Because of a difference in selection, Saarloos are much more wolf-like than dog-like, and owning one is much more like owning a hybrid. Where CsVs are difficult dogs because of their high working drive and independence, Saarloos are difficult because they are shy, suspicious, and have the flight response that wolves do. They require much more intense socialization and can be difficult or impossible to keep indoors. Here’s a blurb about their history via the very official, unquestionable knowledge of Wikipedia:

Saarloos Wolfhound on Wikipedia posted:

In 1921, Dutch breeder Leendert Saarloos started crossbreeding a German Shepherd Dog male to a female Eurasian Wolf (Canis lupus lupus). He aimed for an improved version of the German Shepherd Dog which would be immune to distemper, and succeeded insofar that the Saarlooswolfdog we know is a strong imposing dog, but it kept its wolflike characteristics; it is cautious, reserved and lacks the ferocity to attack; it is not the dog that Leendert Saarloos hoped to get. His theory was also proven wrong, as nearly all the first generation hybrids succumbed to distemper. Until Leendert Saarloos died in 1969, he was in full control over the breeding of his "European wolfdog". The Dutch Kennel Club recognized the breed in 1975. To honor its creator they changed the name to "Saarlooswolfdog". In 1981 the breed was recognized by the Fédération Cynologique Internationale (FCI).

Like hybrids, people have tried to find work that Saarloos can do, but it’s difficult considering their shy temperaments. They just don’t have the lackadaisical nature needed when it comes to new situations, so even jobs that require a calmer dog, like guide work, are too over-stimulating for a Saarloos.

Also, it’s important to note that while the wolf crossing in CsVs were in the initial start of the breed and only dogs were used after that, Saarloos has a history of being back-crossed to the wolf to maintain the “wild” nature of the breed. Where the two are both considered dog breeds by the FCI, Saarloos really are much more wild in nature and should be considered a hybrid with a well documented background rather than a breed of dog if one is to own one successfully (or decide NOT to own one based on that information).

If you’d like more information on Saarloos history, temperament, and standard, you can check out the Google translated version of The Dutch Association of Saarloos Wolfdog, but be warned, the translation is pretty awful.

Northern/British Inuit

The Northern Inuit is the first attempt at creating a “wolflike” dog breed sans wolf content. They have a sorted history with so much squabbling that a whole host of “breeds” were established on their coat tails, but honestly none aside from the Tamaskan have gone anywhere away from constantly breeding mutts in a futile attempt to create a standard that never seems to breed true (it’s a long shot, here, but it might have something to do with the fact that new dogs outside of the “breed” are still being added).

The NI got its start by mixing of huskies, malamutes, and GSDs to get a wolfy look, but ideally, to create a more trainable temperament. The breed has been handled so haphazardly, however, that there is no uniformity even after 20 years, there are still more dogs being crossed into the population, and the breed’s health is questionable because good records were never kept. To keep things even more confusing, the breed split into the Northern Inuit and British Inuit because of politics, but both “breeds” are equally in the crapper.

Of course, if you visit the Northern Inuit Society Website you’ll get a whole lot of propaganda about breed standards, dog shows, and how the dogs were bred from “*~*actual Inuit dogs!!!*~*" but any amount of actual research into these dogs and the people who breed them will tell you otherwise, especially considering there isn’t a single kennel club that admits them as a breed.

Long story short, I’m going against my own attempt at being unbiased and flat out telling you NOT to buy one of these dogs. They are pretty much a glorified designer dog and there are much better options for “wolfy” looking dogs (like adopting a rescue husky or malamute, for example!)

Tamaskan Dogs

After various failures with NI dogs, the one branch that managed to successfully create the ideal “wolfy dog without wolf content” is the Tamaskan. The people involved with this off shoot understood that health, lineage, and breeding to standard without addition of outside breeds was necessary to create an actual breed. Although the Tamaskan isn’t currently accepted in any registry, there is a registry in place similar to the one created for CsVs where pedigrees are tracked help further the lines.

Here’s a big, long explanation of how the breed developed from the Tamaskan Dog Register that also goes into NI dogs and the failures with that breed and other off-shoots:

Tamaskan Dog Register posted:

The first dogs to start the ball rolling, leading to the Tamaskan Dogs of today, came over from America in the 80’s. These 5 dogs were imported into UK and described as husky type dogs – origins unknown.
These dogs were then bred to Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky and German Shepherd crosses – origins unknown - with the idea in mind of creating a dog that resembled the wolf but with a good temperament, thus being suitable as a family dog, foremost with working ability.

In the early days, through selective breeding by a couple of people, these dogs were mated to perhaps pure Siberian Huskies or first generation crossbreeds. A couple of German Shepherds were also used and Alaskan Malamute. But after that, they were selectively bred to each other over a few years trying to create this wolf look-a-like. (Up until this time, no one is 100% certain of the breeding programmes, as no records were made available) . Eventually given the name wolf-dog, in approximately 1988 the name changed to Northern Inuit (NI) as there was no wolf content, and the wolf-dog name was misleading. As a result, a Northern Inuit Society was formed. However, differences in opinions subsequently arose on how the breed was developing, leading to a split and a new Society being started. With two NI Societies, and the breed going in two directions, one Society decided to change the name of the breed to the Utonagan to disassociate itself with the NI, thereby forming The Utonagan Society. The new Utonagan was now starting to look quite different from the NI, but was still not looking wolf-like enough, although temperaments of all of these dogs were exemplary. After a short while, there was yet again another split due to differences of opinions, and, the subsequent formation of a new Society known as The British & International Utonagan Society, headed by the then-President of the original Utonagan Society along with some of their members. The original Utonagan Society then ceased to exist until some time much later when it was resurrected by a new committee.

Meanwhile The British & International Utonagan Society continued to selectively breed and improve type, keeping all records of matings, health issues, etc., starting a hip scoring and eye testing scheme, setting rules and regulations, a code of ethics and providing breeder’s contracts. Eventually these dogs started to look different than the dogs being bred by The (original) Utonagan Society.

Sadly, the original breeders kept inaccurate records in the breed’s beginnings, and matings had taken place between closely related dogs, resulting in some health issues creeping into the breed which were not discovered until much later. What was now needed was a new injection of healthy, unrelated bloodlines, which led to a search for new dogs with the look and working ability necessary, but not losing the temperament of the dog.

The search for other wolfy looking dogs with similar ancestry led to Lapland where dogs of a very similar appearance were being bred for sled pulling in extreme temperatures. These dogs’ close ancestors were also some of the best sled racing dogs in the world and would enhance the breed’s future working ability. After some negotiations with kennel owners, a female was purchased and imported into the UK, with an additional six dogs booked for import from the same kennels.

With a collection of new bloodlines now organized, it was time to think about the future. So, it was decided after much debate by the committee members of the British & International Society to close down the Society, as the old (original) Utonagan Society had just been resurrected with a new committee who did not wish to follow the standards of The British and International Utonagan Society or include new bloodlines in their breeding program. Therefore, it seemed obvious that the present Utonagan would soon not resemble the ‘new’ dogs whatsoever and they would need a new name.

The foundation stock consisted of the original female imported from Finland which was taken back to Finland along with 7 selected dogs from the Blustag Kennels of UK (and also 4 selected dogs from UK and 2 in USA, all from the Blustag Kennel). The reserved six dogs were then collected from Lapland. Out of these, two were exported to UK an adult male and female from different litters. Two other foundation dogs were added in 2006, a male was added in 2008 (a black grey) and two more (wolf greys) were added in 2009 to bring in fresh bloodlines and add in desirable traits to the breed.

It was February 2006 that The Tamaskan Dog Register was formed. Tamaska means ‘Mighty Wolf’ in North American Indian language.
The Tamaskan Dog Register, formed by the original committee members of the The British and International Utonagan Society (and two members from as far back as the Northern Inuit Society), is now the Governing Body for all Tamaskan dogs throughout the world. Since forming in early 2006, the Tamaskan Dog Society of Great Britain and the National Tamaskan Club of America have also been created, Euro Tamaskan was formed in 2009.

Tamaskans are strikingly similar to CsVs, but their temperament is MUCH more docile and easy to train, and to keep as a family pet (although one should not forget the dogs used to form the breed, and while they are “easy” by Primitive Breed/spitz standards, they will still retain some of the intelligence and stubbornness of their ancestors). These dogs are pretty much bred to be easier wolfy dogs, with temperaments more akin to American Show GSDs or labs and goldens than a high drive working dog. They appeal to people who love the look of huskies and other sledding dogs, but who wouldn’t be able to handle all that energy.

Of course, Tamaskans aren’t without their own level of drama. There is ANOTHER off shoot of the breed, the “Tamaskan Wolfdog” is being bred by people going back and mixing in other breeds like CsVs and Saarloos that actually have wolf content, and actual, high content wolfdogs in some cases. These dogs are NOT endorsed at all by true lovers of the breed since the whole goal is a wolfy breed with zero wolf, and every effort is being made to push bad breeders away from the dogs that are actually breeding true:

The National Tamaskan Club of America[/url posted:

There are those claiming to have Tamaskan dogs and misleading the public by selling cross-breeds or dogs unrecognized/unregistered by the TDR. These breeders are calling their dogs Tamaskan Wolfdogs. You will find advertisements throughout the Internet listing their dogs as Wolf Hybrids, Tamaskan Wolfdogs and High Content Wolf Hybrids. Do not be misled by these advertizments. Web sites such as, Nextdaypets, Pet4You, AAApets and AnyPetlist their puppies for sale. Use caution when searching for a Tamaskan Dog and check the Tamaskan Dog Register (TDR) https://www.tamaskan-dog.com for a list of Registered breeders.
The prefix of Blustag, which has been registered with the British Kennel Club for several decades and is also registered with FCI Europe has been stolen by a Tamaskan Club of America breeder, Jonathan and Glenda Ratliff. Attempts to contact them have revealed that Johnathan does not intend to breed under this name but to own the domain name in hopes to sell it in the future for a profit. The Tamaskan Club of America refuses to remove the name Blustag Kennels from their listing of Tamaskan Wolfdog Breeders despite Johnathan Ratliff advising the NTCA he will not use the Blustag Kennel name.
If you’re considering a Tamaskan, it is vital to do your research into various kennels to find a breeder who is actually working towards the breed standard as opposed to breeding wolfy mutts. However, despite the fact that the dogs are bred for a somewhat generic temperament as opposed to an actual job, these dogs have a standard, breed registry, and health history that could make them a great pet for someone looking to get a wolfy/spitzy dog with less of the difficult temperament.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Excellent post :golfclap: It's very interesting the way Vlcaks coats work when they get wet; no horrible 'wet dog' smell, and they're dry again within minutes! (That is, if you can get them to actually go outside in the rain. Slight drizzle outside? You will have to push our CsV bum first out the back door.)

An additional interesting note about the Northern Inuits; 'Utonagans' are yet another offshoot from the N.I! They just allow a patchy coat and fluffy fur.

Oh! I got some photos back from a recent Viking show we did (reenactment yay) and found this one of Hrafn with his skyscraper legs. :)

That 'authentic' lead is no more, of course. Shakes fist.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Just a few additional points about Vlcaks (quickly becoming my favorite breed, there is a large chance that my next dog will be one and in the near future). They are incredibly versatile dogs. They obviously excel in trailing work, as they were bred for border patrol, and I believe Italy uses them commonly for SAR tasks. I think I've read about a few people getting obedience and rally titles on them, and I know many people do agility with theirs, though I'm not sure how they fare in competition when it comes to titling, etc. From what I've read, they don't have much of the herding instinct, I could be wrong on this though but I want to say I've seen people mention that it's not really worth it to even go for with them.

Many of them are also good Schutzhund candidates though as I understand there is a slight rift in the community as to whether or not people should continue working their CsV's in SchH. As I understand it, when it comes to this breed you need the exact right temperament for it because if they are a little too "wolfy" in temperament (shy, standoffish, nervous or possibly too independent) and you work on bitework with them, you could have a very bad outcome. WolfBag please correct me or add to this if I'm off base anywhere :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

rivals posted:

Many of them are also good Schutzhund candidates though as I understand there is a slight rift in the community as to whether or not people should continue working their CsV's in SchH. As I understand it, when it comes to this breed you need the exact right temperament for it because if they are a little too "wolfy" in temperament (shy, standoffish, nervous or possibly too independent) and you work on bitework with them, you could have a very bad outcome. WolfBag please correct me or add to this if I'm off base anywhere :)

You're right about the rift, but a little off on the reason. It's not really because they're shy since it actively says in the standard that shyness is a fault (although obviously a shy dog should NOT be trained in bite work). It's more to do with the independent temperament. CsVs, along with other primitive breeds, can get bored with sports because they learn fast and dislike competition. It's said CsVs are great for actual work and know to apply themselves in real situations, but do poorly when it's just a game to earn points.

The problem comes in when the dogs start thinking for themselves. You teach a dog to bite, what happens when they decide the best instance to bite, without direction from you? While some dogs have a more biddable personality and do well with the sport, a lot of dogs do not. This is where the rift comes in. Most people are fine with not doing bite work, but others feel it should be a goal in breeding. Personally, I feel this would change their temperament just into a GSD clone, but that's just me. :)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Okay thanks. I thought the independent part was right and the shyness sounded about right but I guess I was off on that. :downs:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
:sigh: This thread is making me consider giving in my boyfriend's desire for a shiba. Maybe I'll adopt one from the rescue you work for when I* think we're up for it pasiley. :3:

*yes me not him he doesn't know anything about dogs

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

:3: I would LOVE to help you out with Shibas, Kerfuffle. And, any time I have a foster (or even just Koji) you can come and hang out with their crazy, even if you're so not ready for one.

AND I have the next four days off so I'll be busting my rear end to get those articles out. I won't let Wolf put me to shame! :argh:!

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Take all the time you need. The last thing I need right now is more reason to want to go adopt that Akita girl :smith:

Eggsucker
May 27, 2005
The Vlacks have amazing snarling faces when they growl. This owner trained his dog to look mean on command, but it's completely non-aggressive. If I saw this pup snarling at me, I would be pretty worried.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5OkEr2DVvo&feature=related

They seem like amazing dogs. Someday, when I have the time and money, I'll probably try to find a breeder.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Eggsucker posted:

The Vlacks have amazing snarling faces when they growl. This owner trained his dog to look mean on command, but it's completely non-aggressive. If I saw this pup snarling at me, I would be pretty worried.

They seem like amazing dogs. Someday, when I have the time and money, I'll probably try to find a breeder.

I'm not sure how I feel about that video. It seems obvious that it's a behaviour that's been put to a cue and isn't aggressive but Facial Feedback Theory suggests that by going through the motions the animal is likely causing itself agitation if not something more serious.

Regardless, I'm trying to capture a lip lift on my dog, 'cause I think it's funny.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Eggsucker posted:

That doesn't look at all like a CsV to me... :confused: Hard to tell with just the head, though.

It's funny, though, I was JUST wondering this morning how they teach dogs to growl on command for things like movies. Obviously there has to be a safe way to do it. :iiam:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

That doesn't look at all like a CsV to me... :confused: Hard to tell with just the head, though.

It's funny, though, I was JUST wondering this morning how they teach dogs to growl on command for things like movies. Obviously there has to be a safe way to do it. :iiam:

The mask looks off for sure, I really don't think it is. I do agree with a life less, though. The overall behavior worries me. A lift lip would be pretty adorable but I'd have no clue where to start. Then I could make Kaidan show off his giant, enamel-less teeth :haw:/:smith:

Eggsucker
May 27, 2005

WolfensteinBag posted:

Oh whoops you're right. I retraced my steps back to where I was linked from to that video, and it just calls it a wolf hybrid. Here's the first video I watched:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUbmt-ze_os&feature=related

edit: Here's a good video about New Guinea Singing Dogs, probably the rarest dog in the world, and more primitive than the dingo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUYn1dJsYOY

Eggsucker fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 22, 2010

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Eggsucker posted:

edit: Here's a good video about New Guinea Singing Dogs, probably the rarest dog in the world, and more primitive than the dingo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUYn1dJsYOY

I like how they summed it up in the end: this dog should live in the wild you don't have to groom it it's wild it will eat children it's wild don't get this loving dog.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Kaidan is so wise as he looks out over his land (the yard) from his throne (the porch) each night.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

:3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

hahaha Buddy does that, too! Pretty much every time he goes in the yard, he does a perimeter sweep, does his business, then just sits on the patio looking around. :3:

You know, I was thinking about different Primitive dogs and how dogs like Shibas, Akitas, Basenjis, etc. are different from sledding/spitzy dogs, and I think I figured out how you can pin it down. Obviously each breed is going to be different based on what exactly they were bred for, but I think where sledding/spitz breeds tend to keep a lot of wolfy behaviors in the way they interact with eachother and with humans, more Japanese/feral type dogs are more like Village Dogs, or the predecessors of the domestic dog. They seem to have more of the "gently caress you" attitude than other breeds in that they are SO instinctively out for themselves, because wild dogs would have to be to survive. Just a thought, I figured I'd see what the rest of you (especially Pfox) think, since I have less experience with those types of breeds. :)

Also, Buddy's getting a bath today. :3: Poor bastard...

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Hi everybody. I own a black Labrador.

Before you kick me out of the thread, I read the first post and I think my dog acts more like a primitive breed than like a Labrador. He never does the attention seeking most labs do. He only comes when I call him if he doesn't have something he'd rather be doing. He adores being outdoors and going on runs, he needs a lot of exercise and he could run all day if I wanted to. You literally can't keep him away from the front door if someone is going in or out. He likes new people but is really only interested in smelling them. He plays very rough and his favorite game is the neck biting game. I got him at a shelter and while he looks like a lab he doesn't act like one at all. His coat is a big too shaggy and thick for a lab anyway.

I wouldn't have it any other way. My neighbor's attention whore lab mix can kiss my rear end, I picked this one when he was 2 months old specifically because in the visiting room he didn't seem to give a poo poo about me. That's my kinda dog, for some reason. I've been training hi myself and he's now fully socialized for other people and dogs, and has no aggression problems. He's still only 8 months so were working on pulling during runs and respecting new people's space, but he gets better every day.

Long story short I'm going to hang out more in this thread because I think my dog fits better there than in whatever labrador thread I'm sure is out there.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Vino posted:

Hi everybody. I own a black Labrador.

Before you kick me out of the thread, I read the first post and I think my dog acts more like a primitive breed than like a Labrador. He never does the attention seeking most labs do. He only comes when I call him if he doesn't have something he'd rather be doing. He adores being outdoors and going on runs, he needs a lot of exercise and he could run all day if I wanted to. You literally can't keep him away from the front door if someone is going in or out. He likes new people but is really only interested in smelling them. He plays very rough and his favorite game is the neck biting game. I got him at a shelter and while he looks like a lab he doesn't act like one at all. His coat is a big too shaggy and thick for a lab anyway.

I wouldn't have it any other way. My neighbor's attention whore lab mix can kiss my rear end, I picked this one when he was 2 months old specifically because in the visiting room he didn't seem to give a poo poo about me. That's my kinda dog, for some reason. I've been training hi myself and he's now fully socialized for other people and dogs, and has no aggression problems. He's still only 8 months so were working on pulling during runs and respecting new people's space, but he gets better every day.

Long story short I'm going to hang out more in this thread because I think my dog fits better there than in whatever labrador thread I'm sure is out there.

Requesting pics of this mythical not-giving-a-poo poo lab. If he's actually a mix, people here could probably help identify what he is and which part made him such a lovable aloof rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

Here's him as a puppy OMG SO CUTE

Don't be fooled by the wetness. He actually doesn't like water all that much. This was his first day at the lake and the only reason he went in was because he was chasing me and I ran in. Instant he hit the water you could tell he regretted it, and we couldn't get him to go in at all after that. This weekend we took him to the lake again and he ended up going in while chasing another dog, but never just because he wanted it, like I've seen other labradors do.

This is what he looks like when he's gotten outside and doesn't want to come back. I whistle for him and he looks at me pensively for a moment, decides "Nuts to you!" and then just completely ignores me until I chase him down.

In any case he has a big of scruff that most other labs I've seen don't have. His hair is about a 1/2 inch to an inch long and somewhat thick. He has the white fingertips and "soul patch" on his chin, I don't know how common that is in labs. He has very thick hackles that are a different kind of fur from the rest of his body, they almost look like a 5 inch wide stripe going down his back.

I'm not really a dog breed expert by far but I've seen other dogs that look exactly like labradors but different sizes. One owner at the park told me her dog was a great dane when it looked just like an oversized labrador to my amateur eye. Plus this is a shelter dog so he's surely a mix of something.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of posting pictures of my dog online but you guys probably already have so I'll stop now.

• Locked thread