Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

a life less posted:

Now I really want one. Is it bad that I prefer the heavier appearance of the American Akitas?

Yes :colbert:

Okay, no they are still adorable :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

paisleyfox posted:

I do have more pictures! They're all from Dog Man, so when I get home from activities tonight, I'll be sure to scan them. :3: (The middle Keller one is from that book)

Heey I have that book! I knew I knew the name Morie Sawataishi from somewhere. It's a really great read, if anyone's interested and it's incredibly moving to hear about this man's devotion to this breed and their devotion to him. Also has some good stuff in there about Hachiko and Helen Keller, obviously.

I'm with you pfox, I like the look of the JAs more than the heavyset AAs, but hell, I wouldn't turn down either if I found a well-socialized one in rescue!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

EdsTeioh posted:

EDIT: Somehow I've been on this site for 6 years and never bought an avatar. Anyone in this thread any good at making them?

They're pretty easy, but I can make pretty much whatever you want, animated, photoshopped whatever.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Sadly there have been updates to that JA girl I found on petfinder and now she's listed as not good with other dogs either :sigh: I hope she finds a good home.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Here's my rescued Alaskan Mal, Niko. I got him a few years ago via a rescue website, he was already an adult and pretty much neglected his whole life. When he was found he had broken glass in his paws and had escaped from wherever he had been several times. He wasn't house trained (I don't think he'd ever even been inside a house before) and didn't know any commands but was eager to learn and has become a fully functional domesticated dog. He still has a bit of a prey drive in him and is quite the alpha male due to his lack of socializing as a pup but has been getting progressively better almost every day as we meet more random dogs, though he still hates aggressive breeds (pit bulls, rotties, etc -- even boxers for some reason) at mere sight even if he spots them a few hundred feet away. Other than that, he's a perfect 135 lb gentleman.

First day at the ocean

Splashin' in the Pacific

:iamafag:

Spazzing out

Guarding the firewood. Guarding, yeah, that's the ticket

After I snagged this fish, he went out in the river and grabbed it

:3:

:what:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

He's so handsome!!! He looks like the giant mal version of Buddy. :3: I remember seeing that picture where he's burried in the snow before, you don't post him nearly enough. :colbert: Do you think you'd be willing to dig up some info and do a mal breed post?

Same goes for you, Pretty Cool Name, would you want to do a detailed post about sammies? :3:

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

He does get quite a lot of attention, even from those who aren't dog people. I think most of it has to do with our local university's mascot being a Mal, (they used Siberians up until the 60's) even though they're the University of Washington Huskies -- Mals are just way bigger and more intimidating. Little kids always ask if he's a wolf or exclaim "Snow Dog!" (from the Disney movie). I've been meaning to take more pics, but I've been rock climbing all summer and have been leaving him at home under the air conditioner so he wouldn't be miserable. Looking forward to a La Nina winter this year and lots of snow pics!

I'm not a breed expert, but I can put up some info later tonight.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Gonktastic posted:

I posted on the front page and am not an expert, but I've read a lot about them. They really don't have that aloof attitude other primitive breeds are. I don't know if any others were bred for this, but Samoyeds were bred as companion dogs and notes about them always mention that they would watch children.

In my experience, they are very sweet and friendly. Our two males have very different temperaments though. One is the most affectionate loving friendly dog ever. He is always next to you waiting for you to rub his head. He follows my dad everywhere, loyally. The other is just as friendly, but is more removed. He is usually in the same room as you, but will lie 10 ft away. He also will go elsewhere if bored. However, they are both extremely attention loving dogs. I'm led to believe this is pretty standard.

They are very playful and always look friendly due to the "Sammy smile". Their mood pretty much always matches that happy, friendly look! Children always throw themselves at these dogs because they look like a crossbreed of a polar bear and a marshmallow.

Historically, they were used as sled dogs, reindeer herders, and family companions. They are a working breed. Expect a LOT of energy which can turn destructive if unaddressed. They will both pull you and herd you, depending on temperament or mood. However, they do make great family dogs and in my highly biased opinion are pretty much the best dogs you could ever ask for. :3:

oh, I must have glossed over those posts, sorry. But thanks for this and those posts. They really seem like great dogs.

Paisley, great post on Akitas! I've been waiting for it and it didn't let me down. :)

WolfensteinBag: I could probably whip something up in a few days. But I'd prefer if some one who actually had some real life experience with them would do it, but on the other hand I'd love to contribute to this awesome thread. Time to start digging for info I guess. Also, prepare for some horrible grammar as English is not my first language. :)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Philip J Fry posted:

He does get quite a lot of attention, even from those who aren't dog people.

He's a very handsome boy. It's really funny, prior to adopting Kaidan even after doing a ton of research on the differences between Huskies and Mals, I really couldn't tell quickly based on pictures or anything if a given dog was a Husky or Malamute (unless their size was very obviously one way or the other). For whatever reason, maybe more research or actually having a Husky, it's way more obvious to me now.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Pretty Cool Name posted:

WolfensteinBag: I could probably whip something up in a few days. But I'd prefer if some one who actually had some real life experience with them would do it, but on the other hand I'd love to contribute to this awesome thread. Time to start digging for info I guess. Also, prepare for some horrible grammar as English is not my first language. :)

Well, I'm just an idiot and looked at the wrong post. :downs: I meant to say Gonktastic since he (she? :shobon: I don't know) has owned sammies. But if you have some good info since you've been researching for a dog of your own, that would be great, too! I mean, hell, look at all the breeds I wrote about without owning them. :)

Also, what IS your first language, then?? You English has been fantastic, so far!

Philip J Fry posted:

He does get quite a lot of attention, even from those who aren't dog people... Little kids always ask if he's a wolf or exclaim "Snow Dog!" (from the Disney movie).

hahaha We get the same thing with Buddy. :3: We also get "Snow Buddy!" which is hilarious to me, considering his name. They get SUCH a kick out of it when I tell them.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Philip J Fry posted:

He does get quite a lot of attention, even from those who aren't dog people. I think most of it has to do with our local university's mascot being a Mal, (they used Siberians up until the 60's) even though they're the University of Washington Huskies -- Mals are just way bigger and more intimidating. Little kids always ask if he's a wolf or exclaim "Snow Dog!" (from the Disney movie). I've been meaning to take more pics, but I've been rock climbing all summer and have been leaving him at home under the air conditioner so he wouldn't be miserable. Looking forward to a La Nina winter this year and lots of snow pics!

Heyo fellow Seattlite! You're making me so torn... Awesome mal in snow pics or driving in this city in some godawful weather. :/

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Alaskan Malamutes

History

The Malamute is a descendant of dogs of the Mahlemuts tribe of upper western Alaska. These dogs had a prominent role with their human companions – working, hunting, and living alongside them. The interdependent relationship between the Mahlemut and their dogs fostered prosperity among both and enabled them to flourish in the inhospitable land above the Arctic Circle. For a brief period during the Klondike Gold Rush of 1896, the Malamute and other sled dogs became extremely valuable to recently landed prospectors and settlers, and were frequently crossbred with imported breeds. This was often an attempt to improve the type, or to make up for how few true Malamutes were up for sale. This seems to have had no long standing effect on the modern Malamute, and recent DNA analysis shows that Malamutes are one of the oldest breeds of dog, genetically distinct from other dog breeds.

"In shape, the Paleolithic dogs most resemble the Siberian husky, but in size, however, they were somewhat larger, probably comparable to large shepherd dogs," stated Germonpré, a paleontologist at the Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences. This description of recently-found dog remains (30,000 years old) fits the Alaskan Malamute very closely. Though not scientifically confirmed, the Alaskan Malamute may be the closest living relative to the "First Dog".

The Malamute dog has had a distinguished history; aiding Rear Admiral Richard Byrd to the South Pole, and the miners who came to Alaska during the Gold Rush of 1896, as well as serving in World War II primarily as search and rescue dogs in Greenland, although also used as freighting and packing dogs in Europe. This dog was never destined to be a racing sled dog; instead, it was used for heavy freighting, pulling hundreds and upwards of thousands of pounds of supplies to villages and camps in groups of at least four dogs for heavy loads.

The word 'Malamute" comes from the inuit words 'Mahlemute' or 'Mahlemuit' - native Inuit peoples from Alaska. The people that created the breed - the Kuuvangmiut or Kobuk people, had a good standard of life, working hard and developing their dogs to a high level of strength, intelligence and reliability. As "eskimos" went, they were the rich ones. People of the Malamute region fed their dogs as often as they themselves ate. They were quite humane compared to other peoples which may account for the better temperament of the Alaskan Malamute. Many other working dogs were badly mistreated, underfed and over-used. Kindness in treatment is why the Malamute has a better disposition towards people than some other arctic breeds and was allowed indoors with the family, to watch and play with children.

Four thousand years ago, and possibly earlier, the Inuit crossed the Bering Straits when the tribes migrated East from the cold barren lands of Siberia. Arctic anthropology indicates the presence of Inuit civilization at Cape Krusenstern as early as 1850 B.C. The Mahlemuit people created the Alaskan Malamute Breed for their own purposes over 10,000 years ago. This dog was used for sled pulling, back-pack carrying and hunting purposes. The Alaskan Malamute is put into the Spitz Breed family because of their small erected pointing ears, curled tail carried over the back, longer hair around the neck and thick isolating hair among the toes. Most people are familiar with "sled dogs" because of the Iditarod dog race in Alaska, however though Malamutes were the main dogs used in the serum run that the Iditarod was born from, they have not been used much in the actual race in recent years. Because it is a "race", the tendency is to use faster mixed dogs - some with Malamute in them, but generally they are mixes. Only one purebred team has run the race; Nancy Russell's dogs in the 90's. Her driver Jamie Nelson said it was the most gratifying thing to go from town to town and have the elders come out of their homes to see the dogs and tell their grandchildren "THESE are the kind of dogs we used to have", not what is running the race now. Though her team was incredibly slow compared to the hyper Alaskan huskies that did win, they did prove they could do what they were bred for without coats, booties and other paraphernalia that many of the hound mixes need to compete in the race nowadays.

From the 1890's to 1963, Alaskan Malamutes were important to the mail service in Alaska and remote regions of Canada as the only reliable transportation. They were so important that a federal law required all other sled dog drivers to yield right-of-way to any mail-carrying team encountered. The peak of mail service dog teams was from around 1910 into the late 1930's. As the postal service began replacing dog teams with airlines, sled dog carriers were phased out. In 1963, the last U.S. Postal Service mail driver retired with his dog team.

Lines

Three lines of dogs were the start of reviving the breed brought out of Alaska:

Kotzebue
Short Seeley was instrumental in creating an interest in this new and interesting breed. In 1923 she was a young teacher in Massachusetts. Eva Seeley, nicknamed "Short" because of her height, fell in love with those dogs and become instrumental in reviving the breed. With her husband Milton, she became the most famous American breeder of Alaskan Malamutes. Because of her hard work, the AKC recognized the Alaskan Malamute in 1935 and registered Gripp of Yukon. Eva Seeley's Malamutes met honor and glory during Byrd's first expedition to Antarctica, they served proudly for the army in World War II. Unfortunately, their loyalty was not met in kind. After the war many of these same dogs were used on an expedition to Antarctica. They served admirably and then, due to some idiot bureaucrats decision, were chained to an ice floe and destroyed by an explosive charge. The navy men were quite irate about this order. No dogs survived and it almost wiped the breed out.

Another important figure in Malamute history is Arthur Walden, who had dogs resembling the Malamute type. Alexander met Eve Seeley and showed her one of his dogs. This dog became Rowdy of Nome. They continued to make trips to Alaska to acquire dogs of the Malamute type that resembled Rowdy - A bitch Bessie and male Yukon Jad. Four puppies were born in 1929. Tugg, Gripp, Finn and Kersage of Yukon. Seeley's Chinook kennels bred from these dogs, establishing the Kotzebue line. Kotzebue dogs are always gray and white, stocky and sometimes short legged; they are less irritable and get along with other Malamutes quite well. They tend to have great heads, bad rears and nice coats. Kotzebue gets its name from the Kotzebue Sound, which was named after Otto von Kotzebue, who explored the sound while searching for the Northwest Passage in the service of Russia in 1818.

M'Loot
Then along came the M'Loots. This line was established by Paul Voelker and it's still found in many kennels. M'Loots and Kotzebue's were quite different. Pure Kotzebues had a beautiful head, but were short in height and were a single color, wolf gray. M'Loots were taller but had narrower chests, big ears and longer noses. Their rears were better and had a wide variety of colors, including red. Finally, M'Loots' tended to be a little aggressive, while Kotzebues' temperament was sweeter. Then along came Robert Zoller, the owner of Husky-Pak Kennels, who decided to try crossing the two lines - he liked traits of both and thought there might be some merit to combining them. Most Malamutes today are descended from a combination of both lines. There are very few pure Kotzebues or pure M'loots left today.

Hinman strain
After World War II the breed was pretty much destroyed. With so few dogs to work with (having been blown up by the government in Antarctica) there was a need to open the stud books to increase genetic diversity. Few dogs came from this line, but it still has a big impact on the quality of the breed. The breed had been created by mating the M'Loot dogs with the Kotzebue lines. This was the breeding basis of "Husky-Pak Kennel" owned by the Zollers, which played the biggest role in this line's breeding program. Their best dog, Ch. Cliquot of Husky-Pak became the official symbol of the Alaskan Malamute Club of America. This line is very rare today as well. The registry was opened again by the AKC, although under strict conditions. During this period, the dogs of the M'Loot and Hinman lines were also registered along with the Kotzebue. Regrettably it was a very short period that was suddenly stopped by the AKC, and protested by the AMCA. The Hinman strain only encompassed a few Greenland Eskimo type Dogs. Every "purebred" Malamute of today is originated from Kotzebue, M'loot or "open period" Hinman strain dogs. Occasionally you will see a throwback to coats of this third strain - extremely dense, oily with a characteristic waviness to the guard hair.

Today, the Alaskan Malamute is one of the most popular Nordic breeds. It is a combination of all three strains and it is difficult if not impossible to find "pure" anything. All are a mixture of all three. There are a few breeders that are trying to keep the Kotzebue strain pure as well as one breeding pure M'Loots. Everything else has been tossed like salad into the mix and has created the Malamute we see today. The breed has spread from North America to almost all countries of the world. There are Alaskan Malamutes in Europe, Australia and Africa. Fortunately, though the hard work of a few people, the Alaskan Malamute was saved from disappearing altogether and through the careful breeding has been improved into the dog it is today - a great family pet with most of the survival characteristics it would still need to survive in the Alaska wilderness.

Appearance

quote:

* Size: male: 25 inches (at the shoulders) and 85 pounds; female: 23 inches, 75 pounds
* Coat: According to the American Kennel Club's published breed standard, the outer coat is "thick and coarse," while the undercoat is "dense, oily and wooly."
* Color: shades of gray from light to darker to to black, sable; also shadings of sable and red.
* Eyes: brown, medium-sized and almond-shaped.
* Ears: triangular.
* Skull: broad and moderately rounded between the ears, gradually narrowing and flattening on top as it approaches the eyes.
* Muzzle: large.
* Nose: black.
* Tail: furry and carried over the dog's back.

Because of their diverse heritage and common lineage with Siberian huskies, many people mistake the two breeds. They are generally larger in size and weight (75 lb average for females; 85 lb for males) due to their compact but heavy bone structure and always have almond-shaped brown eyes. Any blue whatsoever is a sign of a mixed breed or a Siberian. Weights upwards of 120 pounds are occasionally seen, but this is uncommon and such dogs are produced primarily by breeders who market a 'giant Malamute.' These large sizes are not in accordance with the breed's history or show standards. The primary criterion for judging the Malamute in a show is its function to pull heavy freight as a sled dog; everything else is secondary. A buddy of mine in Alaska has a good adage for differentiating the breeds: "If you want to pull a sled, get a husky. If you want to pull a refrigerator, get a Malamute."

Some of the physical characteristics that make the Malamute the beautiful animal it is were not consciously chosen to suit man, but are traits that helped it survive arctic winters. Small ears are more energy efficient, losing less body heat. A thick, heavy, but not short muzzle warmed the arctic air. Tight lips, little stop (the slope between muzzle and forehead), and a wedge-shaped head prevented the face from icing up. The heavy double coat protected from wet snow (guard hairs), and the wooly and oily undercoat protected from cold. Compact feet kept ice from forming between the toes. A slow metabolism allowed the Malamute to live on less food. Dark eyes were protection from the bright sunlight reflected off ice and snow. Dewlap (the loose skin beneath the neck) warmed the forelegs and provided protection from predators that may bite the throat (all they'd get would be some skin and fur - not muscle or artery). A tail of good length and well furred protected the Malamute's nose and face when it curled into a ball to sleep outdoors.

Temperament

A few Malamutes are still in use as sled dogs for personal travel, hauling freight, or helping move heavy objects, some however are used for the recreational pursuit of sledding also known as mushing, also skijoring, bikejoring, and canicross. However, most Malamutes today are kept as family pets or show dogs or performance dogs in weight pulling, dog agility or packing. They can also help move heavy objects over shorter distances.

The Malamute retains more of its original form and function than many other modern breeds. If a dog owner cannot cope with a dog that will not comply with the owner's every command, a more compliant breed should be selected. This dog has a long genetic foundation of living in the harshest environment imaginable, and many of its behaviors are evolved to conform with "survival of the fittest." Independence, resourcefulness and primitive behaviors are common in the breed. While intelligent, they are widely believed to be one of the most difficult dogs to train. However, if the training is kept fun for the dog and not repetitively boring, success is within reach.

There is reason to believe that Alaskan Malamutes sometimes cope greatly with smaller animals, including other canines; however, this has been difficult to document in detail beyond observational data. It is difficult to pinpoint why many Malamute owners have observed this behavior with smaller animals, though some might speculate this is due to the Malamute's uniquely divergent ancestry, at one point cross-breeding with wolves. Due to their naturally evolved beginnings, the Malamute tends to have a heightened prey drive when compared to some other breeds of dog. So while Malamutes are, as a general rule, particularly amiable around people and can be taught to tolerate other pets, it is necessary to be mindful of them around smaller animals and children (primarily because they aren't aware of their own size and strength). Malamutes are quite fond of people, a trait that makes them particularly sought-after family dogs. Malamutes are nimble around furniture and smaller items, making them ideal house dogs, provided they get plenty of time outdoors meeting their considerable exercise requirements.

Trivia

George Lucas drew inspiration for the vocalization of Chewbacca from a Malamute he owned, named 'Indiana' - which also inspired Dr. Henry Jones Jr's trademark nickname.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELMU5l3DmbY

Phishi posted:

Heyo fellow Seattlite! You're making me so torn... Awesome mal in snow pics or driving in this city in some godawful weather. :/

Heyo! While it's not for certain we'll get any snow in the lowlands this year like we did in '08, (even then it was very dry compared to the wet crap we usually get) there will definitely be snow/Mal pics as I finally got some snowshoes and have a few hikes planned this season.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Great post!

Paisley I have a question that you might be able to answer. How exactly did hunting work with dogs like Shibas and Akitas? Were they just expected to stay at the bear/board/what have you and bay until the hunter caught up every single time? Considering their recall isn't exactly what primitive breeds are known for I've always found it fascinating that they were used as hunting dogs.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

From what I've read you pretty much nailed it. They'll keep the prey in place while barking for the lazy rear end hunter to get there.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

rivals posted:

Great post!

Paisley I have a question that you might be able to answer. How exactly did hunting work with dogs like Shibas and Akitas? Were they just expected to stay at the bear/board/what have you and bay until the hunter caught up every single time? Considering their recall isn't exactly what primitive breeds are known for I've always found it fascinating that they were used as hunting dogs.

Yep! PCN basically said it. They would basically stick around and antagonize whatever it was they were supposed to hunt until the the hunter got there. Recall isn't great, but back when some of these breeds were used for that sort of thing (Akitas and Shibas aren't anymore, being more companions today) it wasn't a big concern of them wandering off before finding their way back like it is today, what with roads and cars and whatnot (and sometimes hunters shared a bit of the kill with the dogs, which would keep them there, thank you.)

Some of the breeds I'll get into later are still used for hunting, and recall is REALLY trained into these dogs, but many of them also wear GPS collars in case they go too far in the trail of a boar or pheasant or whatever. Recall isn't IMPOSSIBLE, per se, just very highly unlikely for these dogs.

There's some really cool videos about this guy who hunts with his Kai and Kishu, here's one of him training his 10 month old Kishu (boar in a box, dog needs to learn to bay) Go Baron, Go!

I've got some awesome hunting articles in my Japanese Breeds book that I'll totally get into. (I've just got to finish making costumes and cleaning the apartment this weekend.)

Edit:

quote:

Trivia

George Lucas drew inspiration for the vocalization of Chewbacca from a Malamute he owned, named 'Indiana' - which also inspired Dr. Henry Jones Jr's trademark nickname.

We named the DOG Indiana. We named YOU Henry Jones Jr.

Great post, Fry!

Edit x2: Ugh, I'm so sorry Wolf, I completely forgot about scanning those pictures for you. (You should totally get that book though, it's awesome. :colbert:) I'll be sure to do it within the next day or so.

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 29, 2010

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

What a great post, Philip J Fry! I especially loved the pulling a refrigerator comment. :3: It's kinda funny to think that Siberian Huskies are to Malamutes what Alaskan Huskies are to Siberians.

paisleyfox posted:

Ugh, I'm so sorry Wolf, I completely forgot about scanning those pictures for you. (You should totally get that book though, it's awesome. :colbert:) I'll be sure to do it within the next day or so.

Don't worry about it, I wasn't in a huge rush for them or anything! I've been laying around sick for the last few days, anyway ( :argh: ) so I haven't really felt like being on the computer much. No rush!!

aurasuvi
May 14, 2009
A friend of mine has two Akitas, Haru (4-year-old brindle female) and Fubu (a 3-year-old "holy poo poo that dog is gargantuan"-size white male). I haven't seen them in AGES, but I'm hoping to go visit in a few weeks and take some pictures because I kinda miss those guys. I was around Haru quite a lot when she was a puppy and she seems quite fond of me still.

I don't have pictures now, so to appease I have to tell a story about these dogs. My friend and I have...let's just say, very different opinions on dogs playing rough with people, especially mouthing. (What can I say? He's a big guy and it doesn't bother him that much; I, on the other hand have grown up with dogs-and-children combinations - our family's current dog came along when my littlest brother was two. No room for any kind of mouthing, there. I've tried to tell him lots of times that having a huge white dog rush up to you and grab your arm in his mouth is going to scare the poo poo out of a lot of people because they don't know it's his way of greeting...but I digress.) As a result, I've never allowed Haru and Fubu to mouth me or roughhouse me to get attention. I'm pretty sure they do it to everyone else, but meh, I don't like it, I won't let them do it.

So I was visiting my friend a few years back and it had been a while since I'd seen the dogs. I walked in through the door and the dogs, of course, went apeshit so I ignored them completely. They kept coming at me for quite some time (especially Fubu, the big idiot) and trying to grab my hands and arms (and, in Fubu's case, careening directly into me time after time while yelling his drat fool head off and wagging his tail) but eventually calmed down when they realized I wasn't going to start playing with them.

15 minutes later, I'm sitting on the couch when I see this brown shape in my peripheral vision that's slowly inching closer every time I look. Finally, I feel this wet nose on the back of my hand and look over and there's Haru giving me sideways-ears and the tiniest little tailwag before reaching over and ever so gently taking the pinky finger of my right hand into her mouth.

I mean, I should have said no, but goddamn it if it wasn't one of the most adorable things I'd seen in a long time. She sat there for maybe five minutes with my finger in her mouth, wagging her tail, and then left.

Yeah, so I caved in once. I'm pretty much doomed to another 10 years of pinky-drool now, huh?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Another Kaidan picture dump because he's goofy as poo poo. He doesn't really like toys much, he'll show interest for a few minutes and that's about it. During that time we also have to make sure that we keep Eris away because she'll steal whatever he has and destroy it in a few seconds. He graduated his second nosework class this week and they give us a certificate and a toy. I picked out a little green stuffed turtle for him :3:

At first he is unamused

Click here for the full 1028x768 image.

Then he was curious

Do I eat it?

Is it a hat?

Neither, I suppose

Bonus picture. He was sitting like this for a good minute or two. I think he was stuck.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

rivals posted:

Bonus picture. He was sitting like this for a good minute or two. I think he was stuck.

frog was good hat but leg will be better hat :downs:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Oh man, Kaiden is awesome!

demozthenes posted:

My pug used to howl along to doom metal, so bust out the Pentagram and see if Thor does, too. :black101:

Got him jamming to Sleep's Holy Mountain!

new photobomb!

We took him to Barktoberfest yesterday, some big dog convention thingy.

I can haz snocone?

Yes I can.

also i can has a cherry coke zero

Very first pic I took of him, the minute he got in my car.

yay!

day 1, drinkin' water!

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

EdsTeioh posted:

Yes I can.

You could totally trick people into thinking you have some awesome, new blue-tongued breed of dog.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Shebrew posted:

You could totally trick people into thinking you have some awesome, new blue-tongued breed of dog.

RARE PUREBREAD BLU TONG HUSKY PUP! $2,000 OBO (WILLING TO TRADE FOR ATV OR X BOX)

More pictures of Thor please. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

rivals posted:

Do I eat it?

Yay Kaiden!! :neckbeard: He's so cute! I love this picture in particular, for some reason it's SO cute when huskies hold things, since they have such small mouths. :3: Also, congrats on Kaiden's graduation!! I can't believe that second course is over already, it feels like you just started.

Zeus is super cute, too! :3: I LOVE that blue tongue picture, it looks like it's photoshopped or something since his mouth is still super white. Seeing pictures of him makes me wish I could have seen Buddy as a puppy, I bet he was ridiculously cute, too. :3: How are things going with him so far?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

WolfensteinBag posted:

Zeus is super cute, too! :3: I LOVE that blue tongue picture, it looks like it's photoshopped or something since his mouth is still super white. Seeing pictures of him makes me wish I could have seen Buddy as a puppy, I bet he was ridiculously cute, too. :3: How are things going with him so far?

Thor? He's doing pretty well! The potty thing is getting a lot better, but lately he's still doing this deal where he gets a bit excited and leaks when he comes to tell us it's time to go out. Then I get little trails of pee on the hardwood.

He's also getting some pretty bad food aggression. I've started holding his bowl while he eats so he doesn't get all growly, but he's doing this thing now where he really doesn't even chew and tries to get his whole bowl of food down in one go.

Other than all that, he's really well behaved, and his puppy nipping is waning (thank god).

How old is Buddy?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

hahaha Yeah, I totally wasn't thinking when I wrote that (Zeus), I think I had last week's Venture Brothers on the brain or something. :rolleyes:

He's pretty young still, right? I'm guessing the excited peeing (or submissive urination) is something he'll likely grow out of since he's young, so long as you completely ignore it when it happens. It's SUPER common to think the dog's actually having accidents, and to try and "correct" the dog while you bring them outside, but really, that just makes the situation worse. Don't even acknowledge your dog when you're cleaning it up, let alone when he's doing it, and it should fix itself over time, especially if he's not showing many submissive behaviors in conjunction with it. He could just really have to go and he doesn't quite have the control yet. (Not saying you ARE correcting him or anything, just that it's all something we went through, two, and it's good to know if you didn't already!)

As far as the food aggression goes, is he just grumbling at you (TOTAL husky trait, get used to it) or is he actually showing aggression like showing you his teeth or, god forbid, snapping at you? If he's just grumbling, it's a LOT easier to deal with. Either way, you might want to start working on a "Leave It" command, where you give your pup something he really loves, like his food, then offer him something he'd love even MORE, like a really great treat. As you offer it, say "Leave it!" as he backs off from his food, then give him the treat. You can do this with any two things your dog values, so long as he's willing to give up whatever he has. Then you work towards taking the first thing he had away, so he gets comfortable with a trade off. You'll want to give back his food, obviously, but the key to REALLY getting this command down is to making it completely random as to whether you'll give him back whatever he had, so it keeps him guessing. That way, your dog 1) gets to equating person by food=yummy treat and 2) you have a good command to get your dog to drop things he's not supposed to have.

As far as we know, Buddy's about 8 or 9. We adopted him in November '06, and the paperwork we got from his vet visits in February '06 said he was about 4, but we have no way of knowing for sure since most of his past is a mystery.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Does anyone know anything about Kai Ken and/or Jindos? I just spent a lovely evening with a friend's Jindo (Kaia, pictured earlier in the thread) and finally got her to take food from me instead of just staring distrustfully at it. She also let me get in a few good ear scratches and then she sort of smashed her head into my lap for a few seconds before quickly darting away. :3:

The Akita and the Husky mix were totally un-primitive and acted like doofy Lab idiots tonight, which was hilarious.

WolfensteinBag posted:

hahaha Yeah, I totally wasn't thinking when I wrote that (Zeus), I think I had last week's Venture Brothers on the brain or something. :rolleyes:

"STOP ARGUING AND FIGHT!" God, I love that show.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Captain Foxy posted:

Does anyone know anything about Kai Ken and/or Jindos? I just spent a lovely evening with a friend's Jindo (Kaia, pictured earlier in the thread) and finally got her to take food from me instead of just staring distrustfully at it. She also let me get in a few good ear scratches and then she sort of smashed her head into my lap for a few seconds before quickly darting away. :3:

Me! I swear I'll have all the Asian-spitz breeds done eventually.

But, hey, at least we only have 1 more thing to do on the 501(c)3 for our rescue before we pony up $400 to submit it!

a pie mom made
May 26, 2007

im bad
I'm surprised there has been no mention of the canaan dog yet. When I was young my family inherited a basenji/canaan mix from the neighbors, and she was the nicest dog I've ever met to the point of being a pushover; the cat would scratch her and eat her food and she just backed off. Maybe she was just an anomaly though, I haven't met any other basenjis.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
Oh dear, this dog is ridiculous and I wish I had not seen him. I should not even be on petfinder. I can't have another dog!

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17577611

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Oh my god, that dog is ridiculous!! :3: They're spot on, that definitely HAS to be a husky/corgi, it's like a perfect blending of their confirmation. :3: :laugh:

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Shiba photobomb!

It was raining like crazy all day today so I took some time to play with the camera I got in the beginning of the summer.

Or maybe it's a worm?

Click here for the full 1024x452 image.

Nope, dog for sure.

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

Does humiliating things for pay (:argh: focus)

:glomp:

"gently caress toys, it's raining and I'm sad."

Click here for the full 683x1024 image.

Pretty Cool Name fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 7, 2010

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Shiba photobomb!

:3:!!

Sooo cute, love the sesame color! How old is your dog? Koji sulks on rainy days too, he's such a babby. He also steals my Ikea mice (damnit dog, these are MY stuffed toys!) Do you have a name for the standing trick? For Koji it's "Meerkat".

Man, I look at most other Shibas and wonder why Koji has to be the dog equivalent of that skinny awkward guy in class that can't ever seem to bulk up. He has such a skinny chest, and I'm not sure if it was from his "breeder" stock or the fact he was neutered REALLY early. I mean, nothing against actual breeders in Oklahoma (and maybe it's just because we're here in Texas) but we get a LOT of funny looking dogs from OK.

But he's STARTING to tolerate snuggles.

(Also, that shirt was SO not black anymore when he finally got up... :smith:)

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 7, 2010

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

She's a month or so past 2. And yeah, dark clothing and shibas with light coloring don't go well together. :D

fakeedit: I forgot, the name for the standing up trick is... "up". Yay for lack of imagination. :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:neckbeard: Yay!! Thanks for the shiba pics!! :3:

Jubbie
Apr 5, 2009
I love all the cute dog pictures!
This here is my little monster (his name is monster and it fits him).

Happy puppy!

Click here for the full 612x459 image.

Slightly less happy puppy.

Click here for the full 612x459 image.

No, I don't feed him spunges but it made for cute picture.

Click here for the full 648x486 image.

His mother is a Swedish elkhound and we think his father was a Finnish lapphund

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Jubbie posted:

His mother is a Swedish elkhound and we think his father was a Finnish lapphund

What a gorgeous dog. Where are you located? I wish there were more Northern European breeds where I live.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Based on the looks of his house (Falu red with white corners) I'd say Sweden. It's a color scheme very typical for Sweden.

Also, Jubbie: Your monster is gorgeous. :)

Jubbie
Apr 5, 2009

a life less posted:

What a gorgeous dog. Where are you located? I wish there were more Northern European breeds where I live.

I live in the northern parts of sweden. It's kind of funny that you'd say that since most of the dogs in my city are northern spitz type dogs. I didn't even know that primitive breeds were any different (temperament wise) from other dogs before i found this thread. I always just figured they were a bit less "clingy" since where i live alot of people only use them for hunting and leave them outside by themselves most of time.

I wish I had some more recent pictures of Monster. He's nine months old and that last picture is probably seven or either weeks old. He's growing up so quickly... :3:

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
Moxie was in extreme danger of exploding. Hopefully this will help.

She has learned to use the laptop! (I got up for a second and she stole my spot. Dog loves her some pillows)

She got adopted as the slightly unofficial mascot of The Wildlife Society here so I made her a bandanna for the meeting

This is her "play dead" trick. She was being wiggly though.

Sometimes she will cuddle faces

Finally found a few stuffed toys she loves. She cuddles them too. Actually she cuddles everything.

She is a happy dog

Her favorite place is outside

Especially if we are at the dog park

Nose!

My best guess is some kind of shiba-y husky mix. She's 42 lbs and comes up to my knee...which is a very accurate measurement of height, I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I love Moxie! :3: She has the sweetest face. Is she getting any better with crating?

• Locked thread