Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

lord_daeloth posted:

This really has been an inspiring contest. Now, I don't have anything to compare it to since this is my first, but the concept for this month was pure awesome and I think the entries really show that.

Anyhow, reason I came in tonight was to ask this question: For our revisions before the final, are we allowed to make rules changes or modifications and such (as long as they are playtested of course) or are we limited to formatting and minor word changes? I haven't done my playtest yet (hope to get some people together this weekend), but while doing some mock encounters I noticed my math was WAY off for encounters and decided that needed some changing up. I also realized I didn't really include anything for non-combat encounters like I wanted. Probably no space for the latter, but the former is easy enough. So, again, is a change like that allowed?

Revisions after your playtest are kosher, as playtesting will expose flaws in the best though thought out systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Minutia posted:

(Oh hey. One question - in my playtest, they succeeded at their Escape roll, but tried to go out a door that was an Obstacle, and kept failing at that. Would the monster have caught up with them, or should I have herded them through the nearest non-Obstacle door? I let them frantically bash at the door for a bit as the monster slowly approached, and eventually they got through.)

I wanted to have better interactions between those rules, but space and excuses excuses. Ultimately I would give them one or two shots at it, and after that they'd have to escape out the exit they came (with the penalty) or settle in for a fite.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Hey, if one was interested, are there any websites that let you sell PDFs for donation? Like Bandcamp (where you pay what you feel the music is worth), but for books?

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Okay the playtest is finally all transcribed. All that remains is for me to go through and change text colour to show who said what. gently caress me, that took ages.

I'll post it tomorrow, but even though it was over a week ago I'm still smiling about it. Everyone had a good time, and everything apart from PVP got showcased so it serves well as an indicator. Even more than that, two of the three players have interdependently bugged me about a follow up game so it may become a regular thing for a while.

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008
So, my playtesters fell through for this weekend -- anyone have any interest in joining the fast paced world of Dungeon Delving and testing Dungeons, INC tomorrow night on Roll20? If so, drop me an email at adamrappold at the address of gmail.com. I was thinking around 7 pm EST but I am pretty flexible. Even with rules explanations I hope that it won't take more than 2 hours -- probably less.

Also, does anyone have any better ideas for a way to run game via the internet(it has to support playing cards) or for a way to scare up 4 players or so pretty quickly?

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Playtest Transcript Here!

Sorry it took so long to get written up, it's now over a week old! It's also 82 pages long and that's after me cutting as much as possible whilst retaining all the details of the playtest. Sorry! There's also a chance that some bits might not make sense with things removed, but I couldn't find any. I think all the colours are right, but it was exhausting to go through and highlight so I may have made mistakes.

On the more positive side, K,R,S and I will be playing another session this evening and I won't be typing it up but I might write a brief report on it.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Sorry for the double post, but whilst I'm riding high on finishing the transcript I've decided to host a game of Saffron on the Pbp forum. Come by and play. Will be fun.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3535663

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Hey, most of my playtest group dropped out on me! Anyone down for helping me out? I'm going to be setting up a Roll20.net game in about 30 minutes. I'm on irc.synirc.net #CnW right now if anyone is interested.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

I have a ton of issues with IRC so I'll ask my questions here?

I've never used roll20.net before, how easy is it to set up and play with because I would like to help out. Also, my partner's asleep so I can't use mic, is it text based or is a microphone/webcam a necessity?

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

If your browser supports flash, you should be good. And yeah, you can use text or mic. I'll be using text to make the whole chat-log thing easier. I've got all the setup done except for picking tokens for the players, heh.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Okay, you need another guy? Send me a link or the name or whatever and I'll come play :)

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Awesome. Yeah, I would like to have one more (I have one IRL friend on at the moment). But if you're cool with doing a 2 man run: https://app.roll20.net/join/88033/QhSw3g

All full, thanks everyone!

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Well, roll20 apparently crashed! Anyhow, thanks for all that helped, I'll be putting up the chat log as soon as roll20 lets me back on.

What the hell, servers say they are up, but I can't get back in :/

Edit: Ok, I give up... I can't load the room and opening the chat log brings up nothing. I hope these are related and whenever the connection is restored I get all of my chat logs... How frustrating.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

lord_daeloth posted:

Well, roll20 apparently crashed! Anyhow, thanks for all that helped, I'll be putting up the chat log as soon as roll20 lets me back on.

What the hell, servers say they are up, but I can't get back in :/

Edit: Ok, I give up... I can't load the room and opening the chat log brings up nothing. I hope these are related and whenever the connection is restored I get all of my chat logs... How frustrating.

I had a similar issue at one time too. Make a good effort, but if your chatlog is gone forever, a good description will suffice

Also, We have about 36 hours remains!

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Okay, due to needing to head to Colorado, here's...
:siren:My Final Submission to This Most Righteous Contest!:siren:

I helped playtest Caverns and Wyrms, and I really hope those chatlogs survive because it was a lot of fun - I can't wait to see the finished product with lord_daeloth's final tweaks.

Here's the final rulebook (Click on The Resistance's Symbol to go to it):

Word Count Here

Playtest Summary Here

And In Case of Sleep-Deprevation Related Stupidity, the whole drat Google Drive folder is here.

Since it was asked, here's what the final Sigil of Loyalty looks like:

Alright, I'm hitting the road. Best of luck to those of you who are still slavin' away at your computers and gaming tables!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
TELLURIAN PLAYTEST EXTRAVAGANZA!
Final Rules Document
First playtest via IRC, got two goons. started going through character creation, one dude had to bail, and shortly after that I had to bail because <personal stuff>. it wasn't until later that I found out that what I thought would keep a log did not, in fact, keep a log. MIBBIT!:argh:

Final Summation: My game needs quite a bit more work, Shout out to Ted_Haggard for poking holes in my poo poo and generally being awesome. I'd love to get more feedback from you as I revise and polish this turd in the future.

2nd playtest was attempted for some G+ cats, it went pretty well, we got through character creation, and about a scene and a half before folks had to start leaving. I did not keep a log because I wasn't expecting this to be my best/most complete playtest. I am an idiot. :smithicide:

Final Summation: Game needs work/clarification, but it's fun and a couple folks were impressed by some of the mechanics/design.

3rd playtest was for my wife and roommate, wife has played some D&D in the past, and roomie never has. both were confused as to what the actual gently caress was supposed to be going on at any given point (:smith:) but after a couple scenes, including one combat. they were comfortable with the basic mechanics, but stuff like declarations were still kind of fuzzy. no log because this was IRL, and none of us feel too comfortable being recorded. :unsmith:

Final Summation: Will have to tweak Abilities/Feats, and will probably overhaul the Declaration idea, if not scrap it all and start over. :eng99:

FINAL THOUGHTS: This has been an awesome contest and I think I have the beginnings of a good modular universal system here. I will be continuing to work on it after the contest. I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing and would love to bug some of the Legit-Professional-Game-Design goons about what steps I should take if I ever got this thing working well enough to consider publishing.

Playtest of Sawn-Off Shadowrun by Captain Hats
This was also run for my wife and roommate, they had never heard of Shadowrun (GASP!) so I explained it briefly and then they made characters.
Leonard
Troll Street Samurai (played by the wife)
full on combat character, took 2 weapons templates, and standard equipment bonus.

Anton
Elf Decker/Street Sam (played by roommate)
She wanted a hacker that could also fight, used starting weapon template, and then two skillwires (both Hacking)

I basically improvised their session off the top of my head. Meet johnson, got mission, they got chased by gangers after they tried to recon their target. First combat went mostly OK, I might have made the mooks too good, the players killed all but one fairly quickly, and the last one almost killed both players before they took him down.

I then decided to make a GMPC mage to help round out the party and also test the magic rules.
the rest of the run went as expected, they/we got the mcguffin, but alerted security while trying to escape. cue the tense car chase through Seattle. and eventual victory.

Final Summation: I really love what you did here, it's quick and zippy. you managed to cover pretty much all the bases in as few rules as possible. Here's a few notes I made during play:
  • There weren't prices listed for cyberware, so I made all warez and spells cost $1000.
  • You're probably going to want to add some way to stat out/deal with vehicles.
  • I think the current format for weapons and abilities is pretty good, if you do end up expanding them, I'd suggest going with more variety, rather than making anything more powerful.
  • I would change the magic spells to be once per encounter per slot. Once per encounter is fine as-is, but I could see a dedicated mage wanting/willing to put the same spell in more than one slot ("sacrificing" that slot) in order to cast it more often.
  • I would add spells that heal and/or increase defense or something, expand cyberware to include stuff that increases defense, health, or Physical/Social/Mental directly as well as what is listed.
  • As noted above with vehicles, I'd include some cool stuff for riggers. I like what you did with summoning spirits (treat them like another player in combat, etc.) and so I'd suggest doing something like that for Riggers/Vehicles.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
FINAL ENTRY REGARDING ROBOSAUR: THE TIME WAR

The PDF of the ruleset / release candidate used for the playtest is located here. You will need to download the file, as Google Docs does not handle images and PDFs very well and the result is a rather blurry preview (at least from my end). Format is one-fourth (portraitwise) of an A0.

Art was sort of impromptu (I wanted them to have feathers). A tip of the hat to Tim Bekaert, Charles R. Knight, Mariana Ruiz, "ДиБгд", "FunkMonk", "Dinoguy2", "Ricce", and "myfavoritedinosaur.com". The tyrannosaurus illustration was slightly modified, and is under the CC-BY-3.0 license.

===

As for the playtest itself, I had two separate live players attempt a match versus each other in a public area. They were given a $400 (SpaceBucks) budget and given the simple scenario objective of destroying the other side. The entire match was not able to be finished due to unforeseen external circumstances, but it was pretty clear that one of the players had won.

The following issues were identified:

• A proposal was made regarding the choice of discrete hexes in the game as opposed to a continuous field. This was not implemented during the playtest due to lack of materials, but may simplify any questions about line of sight (as seen below).
  • No default objective for a scenario is provided in the ruleset.
  • Dinosaur prices do not indicate the price of sale for players.
  • Questions were raised as to the status of dinosaurs lost when a DinoEmpathy unit is destroyed. (Is it permanent or just for the battle?)
  • It is not clear if a component is lost or not when an attempted RoboSaur dies of implant rejection.
  • There is no indication as to whether melee attacks could be targeted attacks.
  • Dinosaurs are supposed to use the "standard" base of 4, but this is not explicit.
  • It is unclear if multiple roar effects "stack" and if so, how.
  • It is not explicit that you can only move up to your movement points. There is no "minimum 1 hex step".
  • Line of sight and "hexes crossed" are unclear about travelling over hexagon edges ("diagonally").
  • Dinosaurs are quite significantly underpriced.

A revised document will be submitted after the contest if there is enough interest.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Less than 24 hours remain!!

These are the games I currently see as having been playtested
TheSoundNinja's Virtuemancy
Captain_Indigo'sSaffron
Minutia's Dungeons & Dragons: Core
Alien Rope Burn's Houses and Haunting (by Minutia)
mepstein73's Kobolds: Super Short
Error 404's Tellurian
Cardinal Ximenez's RoboSaur: The Time War

Also lord_daeloth did a playtest and it might have disappeared into the aether, but I await summary/comments

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Ulta posted:

Less than 24 hours remain!!

These are the games I currently see as having been playtested
TheSoundNinja's Virtuemancy
Captain_Indigo'sSaffron
Minutia's Dungeons & Dragons: Core
Alien Rope Burn's Houses and Haunting (by Minutia)
mepstein73's Kobolds: Super Short
Error 404's Tellurian
Cardinal Ximenez's RoboSaur: The Time War

Also lord_daeloth did a playtest and it might have disappeared into the aether, but I await summary/comments

Hey, if I helped to playtest as a player but didn't actually run the game, do I count as having playtested someone else's game?

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

TheSoundNinja posted:

Hey, if I helped to playtest as a player but didn't actually run the game, do I count as having playtested someone else's game?

Yes.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
If anybody needs assistance with last minute playtesting, speak now, and I might be able to arrange something.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

If anybody needs assistance with last minute playtesting, speak now, and I might be able to arrange something.
My weird game, Abomination, still needs playtesting. Here are the rules for playtest and a copy of the formatted rules.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
If you don't need me there, it'd be cool if you could run Microfantasia.

Someone should probably run Mikan's thing.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Ulta posted:

Good news! Whatever oddness was effecting roll20 seems to have resolved itself and the chatlog is up, minus like the last two things I typed. So... yay! I'll post it up after my little guy goes to bed.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
D&D: Greatest Hits

Here's the final version. Text length doc.

I playtested with my regular game group. I've sent an audio recording to Ulta for full review, but to summarize, I think it went pretty well. Damage and HP seemed to be balanced about right, the players had significant tactical choices to make during combat, but combats were still quite fast, ability checks worked well enough for non-combat stuff, and everyone had fun with it. I think it definitely played like a boiled down 4E, which is mainly what I was going for.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Ok, final version!

(Click for PDF)

>>Proof of Length<<

>>Roll20.net Chatlog of Playtest<< (37 pages... I do not envy you Ulta)

The playtest went fairly well despite being slapped together quickly. Definitely learned some things didn't work. Mainly that a d20 was way too random. I originally wanted it because, hey a d20 is part of DnD to me. It did lead to a couple of funny moments, but I can't imagine that sort of thing would stay funny for an entire full adventure or campaign. Sooooo... for my final version I switched to a 2d6 rolling system. Some dry runs with it turned out well I think. I also decided that magic needed a boost to make sure it worked more often then not, otherwise I get the feeling magic would mostly be ignored. So, magic skills are still only usable once per encounter, but they give double the bonus of a standard skill. Anyhow, thanks to the awesome folks that helped me with the playtest on such short notice and thank you Ulta for the awesome contest.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Final draft of Swordsmen and Sorcerers.

Playtest log!

Length doc.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
^^^

Art by me. :allears:

I loved drawing it - I want to do more drawings for traditional games goons in the future. Whether they be contest stuff like this, or fun drawings of their characters for their RPG game sessions or whatever.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

I helped playtest Caverns & Wyrms and it was good fun. Combat is, at the same time, both far simpler than most dice games, whilst also allowing a whole lot of customisation. The Ability/Skill system leaves itself open to a lot of fun, meaning you can create a custom guy that covers different bases without overpowering anyone or being a bad hybrid. I made a monk who could summon elementals and also heal people whilst kicking kobolds to death. Good times.

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008
Final Playtest Summary for Dungeons, INC

Unfortunately, I recorded all of this on my iDevice... thinking that it would be stored no problem. Unfortunately, somewhere around the 15 minute mark, the file becomes corrupted (and was too large to email out anyway). So, I am going to type a short really long summary of the game session followed by some thoughts and suggestions.

(sorry in advance for the long post)

I had 4 players who created the following characters --
Nanco the barbarian (who had the power 'Berzerker Rage' which allowed him to attack twice in a round at increased damage... but his targets are chosen randomly)
Pallinor the Priest... renamed 'Clumsor the Clumsy' (who had the powers 'Cure light wounds' which allowed a player to draw a card (HP) and 'Turn Undead' which stopped all the undead in a zone from attacking)
Axestab the Ranger (who had the powers 'Longshot' which allowed him to shoot at a target in any zone at increased damage... but forces him to discard a card to use which he conveniently 'forgot' to do and 'Detect Traps' which gave him 'Advantage' (+5 to roll and +1 'damage') against any trap challenges)
and Olivero the Magnificent (who had the powers 'Lightning Bolt' which hits 2 targets at increased damage and 'Teleport' which moves the whole zone to another target zone... but both powers had the disadvantage that they could only be used once per encounter)

Character creation was super quick and really fun... although it really required my guidance. After reading the rules as written, only one of the players was able to create their own ability. This is mostly because until you have played a few rounds of conflict, it is pretty hard to get your head around the system (although after that things seemed to flow really easily). Aside from the length required by the contest, my game really screams out for an Example of Play.

The experienced players basically said 'I want to do X thing that my D&D class does' and we were able to easily work from there -- which may have actually created some less than useful abilities. At any rate, I got lots of comments on how fun it was to come up with powers. The big complaint was that they wanted more than 2 per character! The two players who were not experienced RP'ers did have quite a bit of difficulty coming up with the specifics of what they wanted their characters to do (the priest and the ranger) and so basically chose the starting abilities with a few tweaks, which might indicate that I am presuming too much familiarity with the D&D rules.

After running a short tutorial combat to show them how things worked, a couple of things became apparent and required quick rules patches:
1. 'Return' is the heart of the game system and didn't make much sense at first... so we had to go over why you would only want to play the favored actions of a suite or try to collect your classes' signature suite (which 'Returns' with any action). Because if you didn't then you would run out of cards from your deck very quickly.
2. It really sucked if you didn't have decent cards... so I made the Regroup action automatic to make it easier to draw(with a bonus if you played it as a favored action).
3. As another poster mentioned above, the d20 is REALLY swingy... I chose it because it seemed linked to D&D but bad luck resulted in some players failing time and time again. This was compounded by the critical failure rule (1-5 is a critical failure and leads to accidentally hitting a teamate) which happened so often and so frustratingly that I changed it to only occur on a 1-2 on non attack actions (keeping it the same for attacks)
4. Ranged heroes (Axestab and Olivero) wanted to be able to attack every round at range... and the current system really didn't allow that. This compounded with...
5. For 'non-combat' challenges using clubs as the basis of the Attack action seemed counter intuitive and hampered their narrative descriptions (why does everything default to being solved by direct, aggressive force?). So, I ruled that Attacks could only be 'Returned' by playing your classes' signature suite. This required creating a new maneuver for Clubs though... which I named 'Power up/Hindrance': on success it allows the next person to play named [suite] to increase damage or range by one/Target can no longer play named [suite] unless he spends a round taking no action other than Regrouping. This worked pretty well and 'Returns' seemed a bit more natural after this, although the newly created maneuver was not widely utilized, so I may need to reconfigure it.
6. For the non-experienced players, it was very hard to come up with descriptions of their actions -- especially for the Priest (who was trying to 'Create Advantage' a lot to gain power). Unless I really encouraged (mandated) him to do so, he tended to just play the card, declare the action, and not elaborate. This is completely expected but I really wish there was a way that I could encourage new players to be a bit more involved in the 'narrative' reality of the game -- something like Exalted's stunt mechanic.
7. Related to that, the 'suites' suggesting the descriptions for your actions didn't really have much weight. This wasn't a large problem. In practice, it sort of fell by the wayside (for reasons that I will discuss later) because, at heart, there were very few chances or reasons to describe use a suite in a creative way. Sticking to favored actions was always the way to go.

I had the players wake up in gooey resurrection pods, completely stripped of their memories. As they cleaned themselves of gunk, they were met by a pink suited functionary who described the ressurection process and explained the Dungeons Corporation to them, their job (to get treasure) and dropped some cryptic 1984 style hints about the war 'with the Elves'. I had a lot of fun introducing conspiracy-esque elements here (journals written in the player's handwriting but in a language none of them spoke, a training room covered in blood with 'Trust no one' scratched into the wall, all of the windows being completely sealed off, no doors in their 'apartment', etc) while throwing in bits of dark humor (no one got any armor, their weapons were all substandard, but they all got Dungeons Corporation hats!). Everyone seemed to really enjoy the actions here and the general mood... but expressed that they felt slightly let down that the rest of the 'mission' didn't really follow through with the premise. I am not sure whether or not that is a fault of a disconnect between the rules and the fiction or if I am just bad at writing dungeons.

Their first mission was to go to Kobold Hollow ("Don't be silly, there is no such thing as a kobold... it is just a name"), get the current tenants to sign their eviction notices, collect any treasure, and bring back any evidence of Elf Sympathizers -- all within two hours. So, the players suited up and were teleported to their location.

Here is a map of the hollow which I appropriated from the really awesome mini-dungeon site Microdungeons Site created by Tony Dowler. I hope that he doesn't mind.

Outside of what looked like a massive mound of dirt (Kobold Hollow) was a mass of protesters. A small group, led by a long haired pungent hippy, had chained themselves to the front door, while the rest carried various signs ('Hell no, ko-bolds won't go!' and 'Kobolds are people too'). Immediately upon seeing the heroes, they mobbed them -- at first wanting them to join their protest but then becaming convinced (because of the Dungeons Corporation hats!) that they were the enemy. The ranger tried to talk his way out of the situation but things quickly came to blows...

The barbarian quickly became mobbed by protesters (despite being a whirling blur of death) and was pushed very close to death -- until he gained enough power to activate his Berzerker Rage and finish off the sign-carrying protesters. The wizard was the real MVP, starting the battle by sending a lighting bolt against the mobile protesters and destroying one token right off the bat. The ranger mostly suppressed the DM, using move actions to place bad cards in the DM's hand and to gain power to use his 'Longshot' ability. The priest... well... he mostly critically failed and drew bad cards.

1. The system doesn't handle social conflict very well. We tried to put everything in combat zones while the ranger tried to sweet talk the head hippy and do it as a conflict... but the descriptions became awkward very quickly (what does 'Move' mean in a social conversation? Can the other protesters partipate and attack the party on the side?). In the end, I decided that it was better to do it is a simple challenge where the ranger simply had to perform a successful attack action at a disadvantage (which the Ranger failed).
2.One player asked whether they would have gotten full xp and card rewards for beating the protesters without going to combat grid (whether in social or physical combat). I decided that they would get the card rewards and the xp -- but the tokens spent on the encounter are saved and used as reserve tokens for another conflict. So, avoiding conflict saves resources but makes things harder later on.
3. The combat went on for much longer than I anticipated -- but it is probably due mostly to unfamiliarity with the system, given that we breezed through the next combat in half the time. It was also not quite as deadly as I had anticipated... in early tests one party member pretty much always died per combat but in this session it never happened (although the barbarian only survived through some very lucky rolls). Possibly if we had played longer then it would have.
4. Failing is just no fun. In addition to having difficulty describing his actions, the priest really just seemed to have a miserable time. His turn was over quickly, he had difficulty choosing what to do with his cards, and he seemed to critically fail at whatever he did. I realize that it is just luck... but I wonder whether there is something that can be used to rectify bad streaks. His healing ability was quite useful though.
5. Given the amount of 'stuff' that is going on every round, the temptation to play mostly as a board game and cut descriptions short and not engage the narrative was very strong. Even I succumbed to it quite frequently so that things would move along.
6... With that being said, everyone was really excited about how tactical and crunchy the combat felt without requiring very many rules. The general consensus was that it felt like a board game... but a good board game (the barbarian's player said 'way more like a better version of Descent than like D&D... in a good way?)
7. Some maneuvers (I am looking at you 'Create Disadvantage' and 'Analyze') don't get much use... after interviewing the players they mostly seemed to have forgotten that they existed and thought that they would probably get more use in a future game once they are more used to the system. With that being said... I am pretty sure that Block needs a bit of a buff too.
8. Defense is absolutely worthless against non 'boss' attacks under the current rules (because, even if successful the Defense card was frequently discarded... meaning that it worked almost exactly like getting hit). I ended up creating a hotfix that allowed a defense card to be placed in front of each player as an action. This card only goes away after a successful defense and does not count against the hand limit. In addition, if a player would have 'returned' their defense card they get to draw a new card instead.
9. There was a lot of confusion with how the +1 damage (discard one extra card) interacted with the multiple target rule. The consensus was that the rules are not clear on this at all. I eventually clarified that the +1 damage and the +1 target are completely separate but their interaction is still a bit murky and it shows one of the many places where it might be problematic for someone to try and run the rules as written without access to my intentions and clarifications (much of this is a symptom of the length limitations, especially given how much I tried to cram in).

After defeating the protesters, the players hacked the chains from the doors, not noticing that, in the process, they had set off a poison gas trap. No one had successfully searched for the trap (they certainly learned this lesson quickly) or was able to defend against the damage, so they all took a hit.

As they advanced into the dark, earthen tunnels of Kobold Hollow, they noticed a series of medium sized holes in the wall which increased in frequency until reaching a massive steel plate at the end of the tunnel. As they were searching for traps (having learned to do so), a small group of kobolds sprang out in ambush. The kobolds would dart out of the holes, attack, sometimes stealing weapons or loose gold and then retreat, before the players could respond (although this required the DM to spend a lot of his cards). Eventually, the barbarian was able to Block the movement of one of the kobold groups... tipping the balance enough so that the group was able to scatter the rest. As the ranger, remembering his actual objective, began forging signatures on eviction notices...

The door at the end of the hallway swung open, revealing a massive ballista crewed by kobold engineers! Before anyone could react, it sent a massive bolt straight into the heart of the party, setting the whole zone on fire and knocking the wizard and ranger to dangerously low levels. As the barbarian, on the verge of death again, joined battle with a group of kobold warriors defending the ballista. The other players, flailing and on fire, critically failed everything that they did (seriously, like 5 times in a row). It looked like it was over for the party as the kobold engineers finally managed to reload the ballista (they needed a specific suite to activate that power) but the wizard remembered his teleport ability and teleported everyone into the same zone as the ballista (its attack ability hit the entire zone that it targets, including itself). Meanwhile, the barbarian was cornered by the group of kobold warriors... with no cards to defend himself, any attack was death. As the priest and the wizard locked weapons with the crew, the ranger managed to use his longshot to kill the kobold warriors (a mere turn before they would have killed the barbarian). Sensing their imment doom, the kobolds fired on everyone in their zone with one explosive attack.... killing themselves but knocking everyone in the party into critically low levels (all but one party member had drawn all of their cards and most only had one card left in their hand). Searching the ballista room, the wizard came out with a potion of Gigantism and the ranger round the mysterious Crown of Attacking Bees... and the priest found a hidden door that led deeper into the Hollow.

Due to time, that is where we stopped for the night...

1. In the course of this battle, it became apparent that most of the party was going to have run through their allotted 10 card draw deck (which is supposed to be the measure of dwindling resources). This had happened a little earlier than expected... so I had to create some quick rules for what happened when you ran out of cards (max hand of one, draw one a round). In addition, I decided to up the XP rewards for most encounters and allow the players to spend XP to refresh their decks.
2. This led to the idea that finishing with the most XP at the end of a mission made one player the 'winner' (he even gets a reward for this)... and we all had a good laugh about how I had created an RPG that specifically refuted all of those RPG introduction chapters that say 'although this is a game, there are no winners and losers..."
3. Also, in a fuller version of the rules, I really need to clarify the process of searching for traps and treasure and possibly give some classes an advantage in this. Essentially traps are meant to be a constant drain on card resources (either checking for them or because the check was failed). Further, searching for treasure is a way to exchange excess hand resources for more xp (or possibly one use abilities).
4. I had a lot of fun using random charts to generate magical items (potion of gigantism and the crown of attacking bees) when the players searched and was really dissappointed that we didn't actually get to use the item.
5. I really had fun creating interesting effects for the zones. Specifically, the ambushing kobolds ability to hide at the end of their turn (in exchange for a DM card) worked out really well, as did the ability of the ballista to hit an entire zone and set it on fire. To make combat enjoyable Dungeons INC really needs zany zone effects and special powers (because the straight up brawl combat of the previous encounter didn't seem to be as engaging). I am not sure that the DM 'chapter' as written stresses this enough... because it really did make all the difference in the world.
5. The initiative system really did its job here since the kobold's constant disappearing act meant that the players had to carefully consider how best to deal with them and played around with a lot of turn orders. It also became apparent that they really needed a way to interrupt turn order (either as a delayed action or as a special power).

In the end, everyone including me (with the possible exception of the Priest's player) had a huge amount of fun and hoped to for us to play more in the future. With that being said, there were a lot of rough spots in the rules and the general consensus was that it felt more like a dungeon board game than it did like a full RPG. Although I intended the game to be fast and deadly, it was a bit slower and less deadly than intended although not in a way that impacted the fun of it ( I think if we had played any longer, we would have had our first casualty). Finally, everyone raved about the tactical crunch of the rules and really liked all of the options and how different and exciting combat was -- one player did express (and I agree with this) how dissapointed he was that the rules and missions didn't really seem to take enough advantage of the Paraonia/Portal vibe that he got in the beginning. Anyway, I am super pleased at how well this went and I am very thankful to have had the chance to participate in this awesome idea for a competitions.

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008

Spacedad posted:

^^^

Art by me. :allears:

I loved drawing it - I want to do more drawings for traditional games goons in the future. Whether they be contest stuff like this, or fun drawings of their characters for their RPG game sessions or whatever.

By the way, I really love your cover art (I think that it communicates perfectly what neongrey was going for in his rules)! Now I wish I had commissioned you to do some of the art for my game rather than doing it all myself.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I'd be happy to do more art in the future. Hell, if some of you guys are trying to put together an experimental game system you need art in addition stuff for future contests here, I can do fun stuff on the cheap. I love doing it, and it helps me build experience towards eventually doing actual professional work.

Also I'm capable of drawing cartoony or more realistic, depending on what's needed. If I do more, I hope I get to try a variety of genres - fantasy, cyberpunk, space opera, etc etc etc.

Anyway, yeah - give me a buzz from the contact info my SA mart thread if you're interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531080

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Spacedad posted:

Also I'm capable of drawing cartoony or more realistic, depending on what's needed. If I do more, I hope I get to try a variety of genres - fantasy, cyberpunk, space opera, etc etc etc.

Anyway, yeah - give me a buzz from the contact info my SA mart thread if you're interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531080

I would definitely get some of your work, I just have $0. If my game ends up going anywhere from here, I'll definitely be budgeting for you though! :eng101:

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

So I've got a long weekend ahead of me. I may or may not notice if someone posts something by March 3

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Anyone free to playtest something tonight? Maybe 3-4 players to give Die Underground a spin. Enter the HEARTH OF THE DREAD KING ! Driven underground by supreme wealth and even more supreme agoraphobia, nobody's seen this guy for 30 years.

Which means his loot is fit for the taking.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

Anyone free to playtest something tonight? Maybe 3-4 players to give Die Underground a spin. Enter the HEARTH OF THE DREAD KING ! Driven underground by supreme wealth and even more supreme agoraphobia, nobody's seen this guy for 30 years.

Which means his loot is fit for the taking.

Are you still available?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Ulta posted:

So I've got a long weekend ahead of me. I may or may not notice if someone posts something by March 3

So the deadline is extended to march 3? That's good.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
So I'm going to hang out in #playtest on synirc with a dicebot if anyone with a couple hours wants to show up either today or tomorrow for some SWORDSMEN AND SORCERERS that would be cool.

e: come play now we have an elfbot!!!

ee: and done! Thanks, ridley, unzealous, and ximenez!

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

Since the deadline has been sort of moved:

If anyone wants to play RoboSaur: the time war (revised), I will be arranging something, somehow, between 5:00 PM EST and up to past Midnight on March 1st. Probably via MapTools, unless Roll20 supports hex grids. #robosaur will be open in the mean time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Okay, so here's the deal: I'm currently a guest at a con in Denver, CO; and I'm willing to playtest your game!

I'm talking to you, contestant who hasn't had their game playtested yet! You have until 12 AM (Central) Saturday morning to tell me, and I only have time to playtest one system so it's reserved for those who haven't found any other way to get it tested.

I'll be running it on Saturday during the day, so I can have the report posted in time for the new deadline. Hit me up and let me know either by PM or by email at kubukunthesoundninja@ some sort of Mail-based Google and let me know!