Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Pellogres

Pellogres whips his horse around and grabs for his sword as the Heorthgeneats prepare for their assault. He takes one more look at Uther's banner to inspire himself as he rears the horse back and thrusts his sword forward into the fray.

Sword swinging: 1d20+5 16. Damage: 5d6 13. Yet another crappy damage roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

Bledri draws his sword as the enemy falls upon them. These are not the untrained peasants of before, but skilled and practiced warriors. He has the advantage of height over them, but the effort of drawing his sword makes him vulnerable. Still, he chops at them, hoping to take them down.

The switching weapons penalty and the horseman benefit cancel each other out.
Attack (Sword) Base 15: 1d20 14
Damage: 4d6 14

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Sir Briant

(Okay, uh, I had been working with sword previously but since it looks like I did a spear charge I figure I'll switch in this post and not worry about it.)

Pleased with the successful charge, Briant replaces his spear with his faithful blade and turns on the brutes' crass mockery of England's knights. "Back to the mud with ye, o savage beast." His voice was full of cold disdain, and he swung his sword almost perfunctorily, as though he regarded his foes as little more than particularly aggressive stalks of grain to be cut down with little trouble.

(That's a 14 for Swording a dude, thanks to having temporary 25 Sword. If he takes the hit, he'll suffer 14 damage.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Summer 485 - Engaging the Heorthgeneats

The Cymric knights charge the Saxon axemen. After a frantic seconds of wild cries, flashing steel, and sprays of blood, the Salisbury warriors find themselves untouched by the heathen blades. The heorthgeneats cannot say the same: four suffer long, shallow cuts, and Sir Derek manages to stab one in the side, though the Saxon's leather prevents the point from sliding too deep.

Sir Rhun acquits himself with particular savagery, cleaving his foe from crown to groin in one Herculean blow.

Then Sir Amig sounds his horn and signals you and your fellow knights to pull back. He picks an opportune time, allowing your unit to defensively disengage without giving the heorthgeneats any advantage. The decision is a puzzling one at first, but quickly it becomes apparent another unit of heorthgeneats is rapidly approaching from your flank.

Sir Amig shouts a plan of re-engagement over the din of the heorthgeneats clanging axe against spear and shouting taunts in their barbaric tongue at you. Their fever to spill Cymric blood makes you wonder if Amig will have time to direct your charge before they come charging in themselves.

And then cheer, stepping back and lowering their weapons. You soon see why. Lumbering at you are men in coarse and heavy bear skins, mad grins on their faces and foam flecking their braided beards, waving greataxes about as if they were but bodkins. These are the fabled Saxon berserkers! Even Sir Amig's face pales at the sight. Nonetheless, he raises his sword and gives the order to fight in a manner befitting a knight of Salisbury and follower of Pendragon's banner.

OOC:You lot get to contend with three berserkers. But first, breakdown of the combat rolls against the heorthgeneats:
  • Enemy (Bledri) Axe 16: 1d20 19 14 damage - 6 armor = 8 damage to the Heorthgeneat. No Major Wound or Knockdown.
  • Enemy (Briant) Axe 11: 1d20 14 14 damage - 6 armor = 8 damage to the Heorthgeneat. No Major Wound or Knockdown.
  • Enemy (Derek) Axe 16: 1d20 4 19 damage - 6 armor = 13 damage to the Heorthgeneat. No Major Wound or Knockdown (though you came close).
  • Enemy (Pellogres) Axe 16: 1d20 4 13 damage - 6 armor = 7 damage to the Heorthgeneat. No Major Wound or Knockdown.
  • Enemy (Rhun) Axe 16: 1d20 5 37 damage - 6 armor = 31 damage, i.e., fine red mist indeed! One less heorthgeneat to trouble Britain's finest ever again.

Right, Follower's Fate roll! Melee Events and Battle roll while we're at it.

Followers' Fate (19): 1d20 16 Success! Only one wounded NPC knight in your unit this round.
Melee Events: 3d6 4 Sir Amig signals a retreat! Not good: this is a -10 penalty to his upcoming Battle Roll, and even worse, also a -10 to your weapon rolls this round... if you guys can't disengage successfully.
Battle Roll (effective 9): 1d20 8 Amig's a pro, though, and he pulls it together. You guys have another chance to get stuck in safely. (For a given value of "safely.")

And finally, Who are you fighting?: 1d20 20 Berserkers

Oh, man. This was basically the worst possible version of the worst possible Saxon unit you could roll (Well, there are giants, but that requires a modifiers on top of an already lovely roll!) Berserkers have Greataxe 35, 7d6 damage, Armor 10.

I strongly advise ganging up two on one here (I'll roll for Sir Owain). Don't forget you have a Coin to spend. Also, I rolled a crit on my Merciful trait and will, this one time, allow you switch to spears without penalty. Remember, you don't have to necessarily kill them... just get your licks in and see what the next round holds.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Sir Rhun

"Goddess," Rhun breathes, watching the berserkers form up; this is, quite bluntly, the nightmare scenario. It is tempting - so very tempting - to run like hell at this point.

Instead he whips his head around, finding the nearest of his companions. "Sir Derek! With me!" And then, without stopping to check whether or not anyone actually follows him... Rhun spurs his mount and charges, bellowing a wordless war cry, his bloodstained sword raised above his head.

These bastards want to act like savages? Rhun will show them savagery.

Okay. Here is my plan. I'm going to stick with my Passion-boosted Sword roll. As a mounted warrior fighting an unmounted opponent, I get a +5 to my weapon skill while my opponent gets a -5 to theirs (I got this last round, too, but as I mentioned then, that bonus was canceled out by the weapon-switching penalty). This makes my Sword, which was already at 25, an effective 30.

Sword!: 1d20 14

The plan worked. A roll of 14 plus 10 for my high Sword skill gives me an effective roll of 24, which is a critical success. This means that even if the Berserker attacks Rhun and gets a crit, we'll bounce off of one another without doing (or taking!) damage. Just in case, though:

Crit Sword Damage: 10d6 27

drat; 17 post-armor damage probably won't be enough for a Major Wound on these dudes... I highly recommend that someone - Rhun ICly invited Derek to come along but if someone else does it instead I will be okay with that - come along to also attack this guy, so that hopefully we can do enough damage to kill him.

The reason I recommend this is that I am betting that the berserkers will - appropriately - be using the berserk attack tactic. What this means, mechanically, is that they give us free shots at them and then, if they survive, they take shots at us - which will be unopposed, meaning that it's very likely that they will crit us all to death. It is to our benefit to drop them before they can make that happen.

(The other possibility is that the berserker will attack me, probably crit, and we'll bounce off of one another - so whoever follows me in can attack and hit them without fear... or, I suppose, they might split their skills and make multiple attacks. But I know if I was running this combat I'd be having them use berserk tactics, so that's what I'm going to assume.)

Basically if we can survive this round we'll be in good shape. Hopefully.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Derek

Just like DCB I’m keeping my sword for the double bonus +10 on passion and +5/-5 for mounted VS foot

“At your side Sir Rhun!” Derek screamed while riding next to him “If you’re fighting like a beast we’ll put you down like one” he said before throwing a cut at the same Berserker Rhun was attacking

Sword skill it's a +10 so don't miss please: 1d20+10 22
Damage roll: 8d6 24

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres fights to keep his horse steady as the berserkers lumber forward, the sight of the beastly Saxons nearly sending his steed into a mad run. As he steadies his mount, though, he spins the sword in his hand and kicks at his horse. This is the moment that he has been preparing for his whole life, ever since his father was lost in battle. This is the moment where he will live or die and prove his mettle to king and countrymen alike. He charges forward at the berserker's lines, stabbing down with his sword, hoping to make a deep wound into the shoulder of the nearest Saxon brute.

Sword Swinging: 1d20+10 24 Between the various bonuses, it looks like I'm getting to crit also. Crit!: 10d6 25 Seriously?! Welp, another middling damage roll. Hey, I still got to crit though, and hopefully another knight will come up and save my rear end like Derek did for Rhun.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Sir Briant

Seeing the berserkers gave Briant pause. He'd love to fell one of the great savages by himself, but knew that if he tried, he'd most likely end up just like his father. Instead, he saw Pellogres attacking one of the brutes by himself, and rode up alongside him to add his own blade to the attack. Discretion is the better part of valor, and Briant had no intention of getting himself killed with a foolish attack.

(26 to critically Sword the guy, thanks to the modifiers. Unfortunately, Orokos has the worst random seed ever so yet again we have a subpar damage roll, 33 this time.)

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

Seeing most of his companions engaged, he calls out to the one he sees holding back. "Owain! We have to cooperate if we're going to beat them. Mark my man!", he says, as he sees the berserker ahead of him working himself into a frenzy. Lowering his spear, Bledri spurs his horse to charge the third berserker.

I'm mounted and charging, so I add +10 to my lance skill, making it an effective 25
Charging the Berserker (Against effective Lance 25): 1d20+5 13

Using my coin to make it a critical success.

Damage: 6d6 14 Not that great! But, with the critical success, a damage roll of 28, which is better

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Summer 485 - The Final Round

The charge is desperate, for well the knights of Britain know the unbridled savagery of the berserker's attack. They are maulers and brutes all... even a giant might take pause at coming within axe's reach. Roderick's knights wisely double up against each one, hopefully to trounce them all before they unleash their fury.

Sir Rhun's strike and followthrough knocks one towering axeman onto his rump, perfectly positioning it for Sir Derek's swing a second later. The Saxon's head flies from his neck with a scarlet spray of arterial blood.

A second berserker grins and shouts at the charging Sir Pellogres and Sir Briant. Pellogres lands a terrible blow, cutting deep... yet the wheat-haired barbarian's grin only grows larger as he begins to spin his axe menacingly. But the axe drops and his body grows slack, for Briant's blade enters a lung and exits through his spine. The berserker's last expression shall ever be the disconcerting expression of glee.

Meanwhile, Sir Bledri charges the final berserker while calling to Sir Owain to join him. Bledri's spear is couched well and his aim true. His point hits a shoulder and shears through bone. And the fell Saxon's response is a hearty laugh as he spins about, readying his huge axe even as his knees buckle slightly. Then Owain's sword flashes, cleaving further into the shoulder wound Bledri created. A look of anguish fills the Saxon's suddenly pallid face. He grunts and sinks to his knees, then keels over onto his face.

Your foes gone, you have a chance to see the rest of the battlefield. The heorthgeneats you were expecting to charge in after the berserkers fell are now small figures disappearing into the distance. You hear the sound of horns. They are Prince Madoc's horns: the battle is done! As the knights look about, the victor is quite clear. King Ælle's army is in full retreat!

Looking at your own unit, you see one more knight is wounded, but no more dead at least. Sir Amig beams with pride as he canters to you. "Well done!" he cries heartily. "Your first battle and not a scratch upon you!" He glances at the severed Saxon's head and his smile broadens. "And 'gainst berserkers to boot! Well pleased the Earl shall be when he hears of this."

OOC: As DBC mentioned, berserks tend to favor the uncontrolled attack maneuver... AKA berserk maneuver. Not only do they get an unopposed attack if you don't drop them with your unopposed attack, they get a +10 to their weapon skill. Note that a successful knockdown will completely shut down the berserker's round, by the way: it doesn't have to be an unconscious-rendering or mortal wound.

They each had 35 hit points with a Major Wound of 18 and a Knockdown of 17. Let's look at the results:
  • Rhun: 27-10 armor=17 damage, enough to earn a Knockdown roll. Roll v. Knockdown (13): 1d20 16 He failed and falls down! Normally that would give a +5/-5 to the attacker/defender respectively, but given the berserker has absolutely no defense against Derek's roll, it's moot.
  • Derek: 24-10 armor=14 damage. Not enough for a Major Wound, but the berserker is down to 4 hit points, i.e., below his Unconscious threshold. He's out for the count.
  • Pellogres: 25-10 armor=15 damage. Painful to most warriors, but still merely a light wound for the likes of a berserker!
  • Briant: 33-10 armor=23 damage. No point rolling for anything: that's enough to kill him outright. (Unless someone wants to waste first aid on him, I guess. Not that a Saxon chieftain is likely to pay ransom for a broken berserker.)
  • Bledri: 28-10 armor=18 damage. Major Wound and Knockdown checks apply. Roll v. Knockdown (13): 1d20 11, so doesn't tumble to the ground from sheer force of impact. Major Wound (17): 1d20 5, made it in spades. To keep fighting, he needs to succeed at a Valorous roll (which berserkers almost never fail): Valorous (22): 1d20 8
  • Owain: Rolling for him as an NPC. Sword 20: 1d20 12 and Damage: 5d6 20 So that's a total of 20-10 armor=10 damage. That takes the berserker down to 7 hit points, so he falls unconscious (though honestly, just barely!).

Bledri would have been in big trouble if Owain hadn't come through (and two less hit points of damage, that would have been the case). Orokos does not like delivering the pain when it comes to damage rolls, it seems. But you all survived, so it's up to me to tally Glory and up to you guys to make sure to remind me of any skills, passions, or traits for which you earned an experience check.

Morale is at its height as the afternoon sun surrenders to evening's moon. While there is no food worthy of a feast, at the very least there is plenty of wine, ale, and company, both knightly and common hangers-on, at the camps this night. Fellow knights of Salisbury share tales of today's battle, as well as past exploits, and the Earl himself briefly wanders around to speak with the various units.

OOC: Enjoy the quiet for now. The Winter Phase will start up soon and after that, the training wheels are off in a sense. The next adventure is going to be one of pivotal importance not only to your characters, but the fate of Britain. No pressure or anything, though.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres smiles wide as he sees the enemy flee, raising his sword and whooping loudly, charging his horse after them just long enough to make sure they hear his cries of victory. Then he turns back and dismounts, striding to Sir Briant. He places a hand over his heart in salute, extending the other in friendship. "Sir Briant, you have my utmost gratitude for your assistance in defeating that brute. If ever you should require a boon, know that I will assist wherever I may." He smiles warmly.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

"Thus always to the enemies of Britain!" Rhun bellows as he watches King Ælle's army retreat, holding his blade aloft, exultation burning in his eyes. "Thus always to the foes of Salisbury!"

At the camp, as the knights have the closest thing to a feast they can manage in the field, Rhun is more than willing to eat, drink, and be merry; now that the adrenaline rush of battle has worn off he knows precisely how lucky he and his companions are to be alive after facing a unit of berserkers, and damned if he won't enjoy it. He is among the first to swap tales of the battle with other knights, striving to make certain that his deeds - and the deeds of his fellow knights - are known.

Orate: 1d20 8

OOC: Alas, with an Orate of 7 that's a failure... unless I get any sort of skill bonus (if I get a +1 bonus for Glory it's a crit.... but since technically the Glory earned from our knighting isn't applied until this Winter Phase, I don't think I can get away with that one. Still, there's always a chance I'll pick up some sort of bonus for whatever reason the GM sees fit, so who knows? It was worth a shot, regardless.

You know what? If it turns out it's not a success... I still have a Coin. I'll use it. Gimme that Orate success. If it turns out it IS successful due to bonuses, I'll still use the Coin to make it a critical; I'll only hold on to the Coin if I somehow got a crit without it.

P.S. Derek you're the man. :D

On the topic of Experience Checks, I'll make a post in the OOC thread.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 7, 2014

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Derek

Derek cheered with Rhun and gave him a smile "We've done our country a great service brother" He the nodded before adding "We've brought honor to our families this day"

Once they were on the camp Derek checked on Oliver to make sure he was OK after the battle before rejoining the rest of the knights "Let this day be remembered in the history of our great kingdom my friends" Derek said with a great smile

OOC: If DCB doesn't get any bonus and thus his coin would turn his orate skill into a simple success I'll use mine to turn it into a critical success

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

"I could only ask that you do that same for me when the time comes," Briant jests as he sheathes his blade. "We are comrades-in-arms and fellow men of Britain, any harm that comes to one of us affects all of us, in its way. Were you to have fallen, Sir Pellogres, why, that's one fewer knight to come to mine own defense!" He gives a hearty, booming laugh. "Nay, I shall not leave a brother knight to his fate, my honor and pragmatism both demand that I sally forth!"

Hearing the praise from the more seasoned knight, Briant smiles. "Your kind words are appreciated. I credit our success to an abundance of teamwork. By striking at the berserkers together instead of individually, we were able to fell the beasts before they could bring their axes down upon us. I'd dare say we'd look quite a bit worse for the wear, had we attempted to engage them in single combat." He was acting slightly humble, but in such a way as to create a good impression. The last thing he wanted was to be seen as a vainglorious braggart.

Following the battle, he took time to socialize with the other older knights. Now that he had been in a real battle, he had a feeling he might be more readily accepted by his senior knights. He took the tack of relating his part of the battle matter-of-factly, as though it were no great accomplishment. In that way, he felt he would be noticed not only for prowess, but for decorum, as well. Most pressingly, he kept an eye out for Sir Hywel, he of unmarried daughter. Should the opportunity arise, he hopes to advance his designs on the young lady's hand.

(Rolling Courtesy to Schmooze with the other knights, particularly Sir Hywel if he is available. 6 under 10, so I succeed. If Hywel is there, I spend a coin to make it Critical. If not, I'll stick with the regular success.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 485 - The Celebratory Knights

The other knights, both old and young, are more than happy to speak with all of you and bask together in the glory of today's triumph. Sir Briant manages to capture the attention of Sir Hywel, who invites the young knight to a cup or two of wine and tells him of his own battle against a berserker a few years ago. He passes on the helpful tip that a swift decapitation solves most battlefield problems a knight has to face before inviting Briant to visit his manor when they are back in Salisbury.

Summer 485 - Sir Morris 'Gainst the Saxon Horde

His knighting hadn't been what he had expected. No but with Uther's call to arms against the Saxon invasions, Earl Roderick had asked Sir Amig if any squires were ready to take up their spurs as proper knights. Morris had been one of the first names Amig dropped in Roderick's ear.

So it was the evening before Prince Madoc led them to the field of battle that Morris found himself with several other youths before their Earl and his council. This is how it went:

Earl Roderick tersely bade Morris approach and spoke thus, "Kneel before me, Morris. Do you acknowledge me as your true and rightful liege?"

At Morris's affirmation, he continued, "Do you pledge fealty to me, and swear your sword to me, to be forever at my service?"

Nodding at Morris's response of "I so swear," he instructed him, "Repeat after me: 'I, Morris, do solemnly swear and pledge my sword to Earl Roderick, my liege, to defend and obey him until he depart his demesnes or death shall take me, and to uphold the honor of knighthood.'”

Upon Morris's repeating of the words, Sir Amig handed him a sword, the sword Amig had asked Morris to give him but an hour beforehand. The Earl tapped Morris gently on each shoulder and said, "Then I dub thee Sir Morris, knight of Salisbury, and return this, my sword, to you to be wielded in my name. Arise, Sir Knight."

And so Sir Morris, knight for not even a day, rode with the men of Salisbury to do battle at Mearcred Creek that summer.

How it happened, Sir Morris could not say, but in the thick of battle, he and his horse had strayed from their unit and faced the enemy alone. Spying his predicament, the leader of a Saxon band flashed a toothy grin and, with axe raised, advanced toward the lone knight.

OOC: You are fighting a single heorthgeneat. He has Axe 14. Spear 12, 6d6 damage, 6 pts armor, no shield, 30 hit points. I'm treating this as a regular combat rather than battle to simplify things. You have three rounds to take this guy out; if you succeed before the third round, then you'll get another opponent.[

Go ahead and make your roll. You have the choice between a mounted charge using your spear as a lance or switching to a sword.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Morris

"I, Morris, do solemnly swear and pledge my sword to Earl Roderick, my liege, to defend and obey him until he depart his demesnes or death shall take me, and to uphold the honor of knighthood."

It was done. He was a knight, the first step on the road to power.

Tomorrow's battle was sure to be an opportunity for glory, and as long as he stood firm with the more experienced soldiers, he would be fine.

Morris cursed bitterly.
For all his father's warnings about the fog of war, he had already managed to get lost. The din of battle was overwhelming, the crash of arms and screams of the wounded drowning out all attempts to think.
He touched his armband for reassurance, as he searched for an opening in the battle.

It found him first.
Well, at least it's a duel of 'champions', not a mob, he thought as the grinning heorthgeneat advanced on him. Good lord, he's huge!
He drew his sword, gave a perfunctory salute, and...opened the duel with a clumsy swing.

I am going to switch to my sword and attack him!
20(15 Sword + 5 Mounted); Damage: 1d20 16 4d6 10
...not the greatest of rolls, but maybe he's just warming up.

Morris of Cholderton
Glory: 1134

Blurb
Morris grew up hungry and scared in an age of constant war. His grandfather died young, in a skirmish with the Picts, and his father turned to raiding to stem the decline in the family fortunes.
Now, with a trio of raw knights and a ragged band of soldiers following his banner, Morris dreams of grand conquest, assuming he can survive his first real battle.

Family Characteristic
Distinguishing Features & Family Characteristic: 1d6 3 1d6 3 1d20 20
Clever (Gaming +10)

British Christian

Chaste/Lustful 13/7
*Energetic/Lazy 16/4
Forgiving/Vengeful 10/10
*Generous/Selfish 13/7
Honest/Deceitful 10/10
*Modest/Proud 13/7
*Just/Arbitrary 10/10
*Merciful/Cruel 10/10
Pious/Worldly 10/10
Prudent/Reckless 10/10
Temperate/Indulgent 10/10
Trusting/Suspicious 10/10
*Valorous/Cowardly 15/5

Loyalty (Lord) 15
Love (Family) 15
Hospitality 15
Honor 15

Size 13
Dexterity 15
Strength 13
Constitution 10+3
Appearance 13

Damage 4
Healing 3
Movement Rate 3
Total Hit Points 26
Unconscious 7

Distinctive Features
Distinguishing Features & Family Characteristic: 1d6 3 1d6 3 1d20 20
Bright eyes and piercing glance

Skills
Awareness 5
Boating 1
Compose 1
Courtesy 10
Dancing 2
Faerie Lore 1
Falconry 3
First Aid 10
Flirting 3
Folk Lore 2
Gaming 13
Heraldry 3
Hunting 10
Intrigue 15
Orate 3
Play [harp] 3
Read [Latin] 0
Recognize 3
Religion [British Christian] 2
Romance 2
Singing 2
Stewardship 2
Swimming 2
Tourney 2

Battle 15
Horsemanship 10
Sword 15
Lance 10
Spear 6
Dagger 5

Army
3 Young Knights
14 Other Lineage Men
34 Levy

Family
Great-Grandfather Miles (d)
Grandfather Morians (d)
Father Morganor (d)
Great Grandmother Melior
Grandmother Malvis
Mother Morchades

Paternal Uncle (Married)
Paternal Aunt (Unmarried)

Maternal Aunt (dead, illness, married)
Maternal Uncle (Married)
Maternal Uncle (Married)

Siblings and Cousins
Half-brother Sir Jordans (married), half-brother Sir Lardans (married), [Morris], Sister Iblis (missing, married), Half-Brother Bliant (married), Half-Brother Briant (killed in battle with neighboring lands, unmarried)
Cousin Sir Guy

Gear
Additional Belongings: 1d20 13
Heirloom Arm Band: 1d6 4
Heirloom Silver Arm Band

Young Knights ReRoll (15,16&17,18=1d4): 1d4 3 1d4 4 1d4 4
Maternal First Cousin and Two Illegitimate Older Brothers

Siblings FatherMotherMorris: 1d6 2 1d6 3 1d6 5
2 Paternal Uncles, 3 Maternal Uncles, 5 siblings

Army OldMiddleYoungOtherLevy: 1d6-5 0 1d6-2 -1 1d6 3 2d6+5 14 5d20 34
Siblings Gender: 1d6 3 1d6 6 1d6 4 1d6 5 1d6 5 1d6 1...
Family Status MotherFamily: 1d20-3 5 1d20 7 1d20 12 1d20 17 1d20 1 1d20 11...
Paternal
Male (Alive, Married), Female (Alive, Unmarried)

Maternal (Alive, Remairred)
Female (Dead, Illness, Married), Male (Alive, Married), Male (Alive, Unmarried)

Siblings
Male (Alive, Married), Male (Alive, Married), Female (Dead, Disappeared, Married), Male (Alive, Married), Male (Dead, Battle-Neighboring Lands, Unmarried)

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 22, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 485 - Sir Morris On His Own

OOC: Let's see how the brave new knight does against his liege's enemies!

Heorthgeneat Axe 14: 1d20 14

...Ow. That is not good. He just rolled a critical. That means he will do a hell of a lot of damage:
Heorthgeneat Damage: 12d6 44 - 10 armor - 6 shield = 28 damage

Ordinarily, this would be a terrible thing... but[i] you have a Coin. You can bump your ordinary success into a critical, too. That will turn this into a tie. That gives you two awesome results: first and most important, a tie means neither of you deals any damage this turn; second, when both opponents tie on successful rolls, swords break non-swords. So you'd not only live, but the Saxon would lose his axe and have to switch to the spear at a penalty next round.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Winter Phase 485 - A Time of Quiet and Reflection

Right, brave PC knights, let us get winter underway! I will be editing this post as you make rolls and I deliver results. I will bold the active round as we go along.

1. Solo Scenario - Will run for Rockopolis after the battle scene's over. You guys can still make plans to do things, like visit notables and make plans, but no actual adventuring or particularly significant scenarios will take place this winter.

2. Roll for Experience: Simple enough. Everything that you received an experience check for, now is the time to see if you actually gain a point. Roll 1d20 for each checked item. If you roll above the current value, you gain a point.

3. Check for Aging: You're all young knights now, so all you need to do is note that you and your squire are both one year older.

4. Check Economic Circumstances: Did you have a hostage from the spring skirmish? Good news: your ransom payment came in! edit: Values are in the OOC thread.

5. Stable Rolls: You don't need to roll this.

6. Childbirth and Family Events: Roll two separate 1d20s per the OOC post. I'm guessing none of you are petitioning to marry this year because surely none of your knights are that foolish.

7. Training and Practice: Buff up those stats and/or skills! Check the OOC post for details.

8. Compute Glory: Already done in the OOC thread.

9. Glory Bonuses: You all are over 1,000 Glory, so spend that point! Again, details in the OOC post.

I'll move onto the next phase when everyone's done.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 6, 2014

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Morris

Morris desperately parried the Saxon's mighty blow. His sword bit deep intp the haft of the axe, stopping the blade inches from his face.
He struggled to free his sword from the Saxon's axe, the blade trapped in the axe's beard. With a crunch, the haft parted as Morris wrestled his sword free. Off balance, he hacked wildly at the Saxon, trying to follow up before his opponent could unsheathe his spear.

COIN!

20(15 Sword + 5 Mounted); Damage: 1d20 1 4d6 18
I can't seem to catch a break. Unless the Saxon misses.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 485 - Morris Stands Against the Heorthgeneat

The tall, light-haired barbarian curses Sir Morris as he throws the now-useless rod of wood to the ground. With great haste, he kneels and takes up his spear, then thrusts at the mounted knight.

It is a well-aimed strike, but Sir Morris's blade is no less accurate, and the sword cuts the spear in twain. For a second time, the heorthgeneat stands with naught but a broken piece of ash to defend himself. Horrow dawns in his eyes as he frantically scrabbles at his belt in search of his dagger.

OOC: Your effective skill is actually 25 this round since the Saxon's re-arming, and his a 7 since there's a +5/-5 bonus/penalty... but it shouldn't make much difference since you rolled a 1. Let's see how our Saxon friend does.

Spear 7: 1d20 1

Ha! Another tie. You just broke his weapon again. Things are not looking good for him: his Dagger skill is 0, so he can only succeed on a 1 (though it'll be a critical if he does!).

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Morris

Morris grinned madly as he gained the upper hand, and he sundered his opponent's weapon and continued his assault. The familiar rhythms of fencing were coming back to him, and he launched another flurry of blows at the Saxon.

He's tenacious.
20(15 Sword + 5 Mounted); Damage: 1d20 7 4d6 14

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 485 - If It Weren't For Bad Luck, This Saxon Would Have No Luck At All

The heorthgeneat's clumsy grab for his dagger is for naught. Sir Morris's sword deftly stabs into the man's shoulder and elicits a scream equal parts pain and frustration. The Saxon stumbles back, large knife held high in nervous anticipation of the Cymric knight's next swing. But then the enemy's horns sound and his fellow invaders call and shout in their barbaric tongue. The Saxon army is in retreat!

And so Sir Morris, newly knight and lost from his unit, has become a veteran of war. Even if he mostly broke wood rather than Saxons, he survived. And in any case, Sir Amig praises his skill at arms (if not command of tactics and directions) that evening over wine and roast pork. Sensing Morris may not be entirely in his element with the truly hardened and experienced veterans, he introduces to several younger knights, each newly entered into Earl Roderick's service in the spring.

So it was that Sir Amig commended Sir Morris to the company of Bledri, Briant, Derek, Pellogres, and Rhun.

OOC: So he has nothing but a dagger that he's only ever used for skinning small game and eating... let's see how he does!
Dagger 0: 1d20 6

Morris handily wins this one. 14 is enough to be a Major Wound: Major Wound (current hit points 16): 1d20 6

So he passes, but let's see if he has fight left in him. Valorous 12: 1d20 5 Incredibly, the Saxon was willing to stand his ground until the retreat was sounded.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring 486 - Reporting For Duty

The winter was as cold as any other, but somehow it seemed warmer and more hospitable for all of you, lords in your own manors (and some with quite large treasure chests for so early in your knightly career). But eventually the snows thawed, the skies lightened, and spring arrived. As verdure returned to the county, so, too, did your yearly duty to your Earl... and so you find yourselves summoned early in March to Sarum again.

The mood is somber among the folk at the castle. Understandably so: Uther's defeat at Colchester last year, plus the Saxon raids plaguing Sussex, have left their toll on the people's spirits. But some dig even deeper to find sad tidings: there are a few who bemoan the depradations of the Franks across the waters. Rumor is they have sacked the last Roman outpost in Gaul, snuffing the last light of true civilization on the continent.

No one seriously considers the Gauls a threat to Britain, of course. Not yet. And especially not since Merlin is reported to be at Uther's court again, lending counsel and (one supposes) sorcerous aid to keep such foreign evils at bay.

But this is all gossip and peasant suppositions. The actual word among knights and notables is more to the point: Prince Madoc is sore grieved at the Saxon's affrontery and plans to gather knights all over the realm to harry the raiders in Colchester. That is, in fact, most likely what Earl Roderick has in mind for all the vassal knights summoned to Sarum with yourselves. Far more exciting than simple border patrol duty: charging down bands of Saxon bandits is true knightly work!

So it is you wait outside the Earl's hall with your fellow knights, perhaps three hours before noon. All of the other knights have already received orders, including Sir Owain---as you expected, assignments to various Saxon hunting units---and have rode away to make preparations. The Earl will surely send for you soon with your specific unit assignment....

OOC: Till then, feel free to talk with one another and describe what you did during Winter (or whatever else you like). As with last summer, you all should make Intrigue rolls to see if you hear anything of special interest.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Sir Derek

Super Intrigue roll go!: 1d20 6 Intrigue 5 so it is a fail and so close

Sir Derek looks worried. The news of his missing cousin has him preocupied about her fate. Hopefully Roderick would give him duties inside of Salisbury so he could both search for her while serving him

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Sir Pellogres greets his comrades with a friendly smile and a jaunty wave, "Well met once more, friends! I hope the winter months have found you hale and high-spirited?" He looks around at the other knights, "It is a pity Sir Owain has already departed, as he was a strong and noble knight, but it does my heart well to see you all, regardless."

On his way to Sir Roderick's halls, Sir Pellogres had made modest attempts at gathering information from other nobles and citizenry that he encountered, but it was to no avail at all, and so Sir Pellogres sadly knows very little about what dangers await them. As is his nature, of course, that troubles him little and he is perfectly willing to simply follow orders and do his duty for his lord.

Intrigue is at 3, so this is a Hail Mary for him. Intrigue? Hahaha...: 1d20 20. Hahahaha, ended just about how I expected it to.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Sir Derek

"Even if Sir Owain was sent with another group it was due to Roderick feeling he needs him somewere else. I'm sure he shall bring honor to his name and family my good friend" Derek answers he then sighed "I'm sorry even if the winter did not treat me particulary bad my young cousin Lorelei has gone missing and I worry about her wereabouts"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

"My friends!" Rhun looks absolutely delighted to see his compatriots, despite Owain's absence; clasps and embraces are exchanged with all and sundry.

The winter has obviously treated Rhun well; he is wearing fine clothes, and has obviously been at pains to spend lavishly over the winter... money is for spending, he clearly believes. He has not heard much in the way of gossip (Intrigue: 1d20 10), though perhaps that's because he's been part of some...

News of Derek's cousin makes him frown, however. "Missing? Are you certain she did not just run off to be with a man? It happens, sometimes... I'll keep an ear to the ground, so to speak, and if I learn of anything you'll be the first to know, friend."

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Sir Derek

Derek crossed his arms in frontof his chest before closing his eyes and sighing heavily "I don't think so. She never seemed to be the like to do that" He opened them and smiled at Rhum if there was anyone he could count on was the pagan "But I'd be grateful if you hear anything about her. You are truly a friend."

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

"Well, let's hope your cousin's disappearance is nothing like my own family news. I'm certain you've heard already. Everybody else has." Despite his annoyed grumbling in regards to his younger siblings' recent impropriety, caught fighting over the affections of a peasant girl, Briant appears quite cheerful. He is not dressed any differently, but he appears well-fed. He had made a point of having food brought to his larder as soon as he returned home, so that his hostage could leave while passing by carts filled with the most delectable cuisine, all bought with his ransom. Clapping his hands together eagerly, Briant smiles at his comrades, surprising himself with how genuinely glad he is to see them. "So, lads, looking forward to civilizing some barbarians? My father, for all his other mediocrity, still managed to do quite well for himself on a similar expedition, and I aim to surpass him. It's a shame that Owain will not be joining us, but perhaps we'll meet a new comrade to keep our numbers up. A new friendship for a new year, it would be almost poetic!" Briant laughs jovially as he checks his equipment again, making sure his squire didn't muck anything up.

(Right, Briant did not make his Intrigue roll. He was too busy with his less intrigue-y plots and schemes, one assumes.)

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 19, 2014

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sir Bledri

Bledri approaches the rest of the group, looking wan and tired. "Hello, friends." Addressing Sir Derek, he continues, "My condolences on your missing cousin. My brother has also gone missing. I don't worry so much, for he's a brave lad, and well able to take care of himself, and no doubt he'll come back scratched up, smiling, with stories to tell. And he's always been inconsiderate. It's just like the little poo poo to run off without letting people know. But still. . .it can be so dangerous out there for someone so young. But, we'll see."

He considers saying something else, but then checks himself, and just ends with an ambiguous, "We all should talk later, privilly. After we get our orders. I've a proposal to put to you all, one that might be to all our benefits."

Intrigue (Against 4): 1d20 2 I passed, amazingly

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Sir Morris dearly wished to spend his winter brooding over his defeat, but he forced himself into his work, trading gossip and favours and cajoling informants of all kinds. Though he needed to focus on the intrigues of court, and the Saxon menace, one thing burned at him; his sister, Iblis, missing for many years.

Morris' armor was hanging a bit more loosely than usual as he reported for duty. He coughed, and introduced himself. "Well met. I am Sir Morris of Cholderton."

Intrigue (15): 1d20 9 Made it, woo.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

"Well met, Sir Morris!" Rhun is welcoming enough; the group is still new enough not to be overly insular. "I heard tell of your exploits; bravely fought and well done, Sirrah."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring 486 - An Ignominious Task

While Sir Derek knows naught of his sister's whereabouts, nor Sir Morris of his cousin's, their investigation did at least lead to learning other news of interest. Both have heard from sources at the royal court that a Praetor Syagrius is Uther's guest, and that he has offered Uther full half the Frankish treasury if only Uther will help him retake Paris. Morris learns this from the squire of a knight held in some esteem by Prince Madoc.

Derek's source is the sister of that knight's mistress, who claims Uther balks at that challenge. He worries the campaign would be drawn out and distrusts the loyalty of several vassals. She also mentioned Merlin not only is at court again, but even more tightly wound and secretive than usual. He seemed... anxious? Troubled? Disturbing anyway when you think that he can see what is to pass.

OOC: You two can share what you like of this news with the others.

The knights have a fair amount more time to banter. Finally a page comes out, yawning and rubbing his stomach. "Time to get some bread in me at last," he mumbles, then starts at the sight of the knights. "What---thought you was all accounted for and sent in."

With wide eyes, he rushes back inside the hall. A few moments later, a red hand-shaped mark on his brow, he says crossly, "The Earl will see you now, noble knights." He shuffles off, wincing and grumbling, as soon as the last of you enters.

Earl Roderick seems to be in an impatient mood as he waves you forward. He accepts whatever greetings you make with a perfunctory grunt and nod, then speaks.

"Your service to myself is service to Salisbury itself," he says, plainly distracted by other thoughts. "While we are away assisting Prince Madoc in raiding the Saxon beasts, you will undertake a circuit around the county borders and ensure our land's safety."

Patrol duty... much like last year, save you are now blooded knights, tested in war. Not an ignoble task, of course, but you're not likely to perform deeds of renown to be told through the generations fording the Bourne or riding through the Harewood. Still, maybe there'll be a bit of time to hunt, and anyway, who's to say you can't do a bit of exploration of your neighbor's defenses? Riding into enemy territory (or at least, not your Earl's) can be a fun, albeit dangerous, method of testing borders and enlivening an otherwise dull patrol. (Or so your knights have heard.)

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Derek

Derek made a bow "We will do our duty to you and Salisbury" he said trying to hide his excitement. Making the rounds might help him find about his cousin location. Even if there may not be any glory from battle family always goes first

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Pellogres holds back a frown, but lowers his head a bit as they are given their mission. A moment passes and he considers to himself. He had been looking forward to more glorious battles, but he inwardly chided himself and bit his lower lip enough to draw a small amount of blood as a form of penance for his vanity. Then he smiles again and nods to their lord, reverencing to the Earl and agreeing with Sir Derek. "We are in your service, your lordship, in all things." He rises then, and awaits further instruction.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

"Of course, my liege." Rhun does not hesitate, nor does he seem at all disappointed; while patrol duty is hardly the most glorious of tasks, he knows full well how important it is... and how likely it is that the Steward of Levcomagus will attempt to take advantage of the absence of so many of Salisbury's defenders. Inwardly, he is already composing suggestions for a series of patrol routes.

Once the knights are dismissed, Sir Rhun relays these fears to his companions; then he cannot help but note, "It will be good to be working together once more. The Young Knights of Salisbury ride again, eh?" The name needs work, of course, but fate does seem to be throwing them together as a team on a regular basis - with the new addition, of course, of Sir Morris. This seems to please Rhun quite a bit, as it happens.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Derek

"We can come with a name for us later" He smiles at sir Morris "I think that we have to give our new companion a good welcome before we start our rounds" Derek says before putting his hand forward with a closed fist "But for now... For the young knights of Salisbury"

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Briant accepted the orders silently, but sighed quite loudly once the group had made their way back outside and safely out of earshot. "I should have expected this. Somebody has to patrol, and we're the newest knights in the county until my idiot brothers take the rites. Apparently Owain's powerful charges earned him enough favor that he was allowed to join the others campaigning. Well, we'll just have to bring enough brigands and outlaws to justice to shame the lot of them, won't we?" His voice carries a tone of playful competitiveness, a jest to offset his palpable disappointment. "Mayhap we'll run into another band of curs attempting to sneak past us, and achieve a second windfall. 'Tis good fortune that we are not so foolish as to attempt a raid on neighboring lands." Remembering Sir Morris, he explains the previous year's patrol to their new companion, particularly the enemy knights justly defeated and ransomed.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sir Bledri

"Indeed, we shall never be so foolish as to raid into neighboring lands,", Bledri says, "unless we should be provoked. But there are worse things than patrolling, I suppose. It works towards the benefit of the area, gets us out, not trapped in a fortification, and there are always opportunities for loot. Should our enemies provoke us, of course.", he adds piously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Joining with Sir Derek's improvised salute, Sir Pellogres nods. "Yes, of course you are all correct. Someone must patrol, and it is only right that our duty should be to remain here. I suppose even my father had to spend years at the garrison before traveling across the seas with his brothers-in-arms." Pellogres smiles, remembering the stories of his father's glory in the battle of Frisia. "Our time will come, brothers." He smiles warmly, inwardly shaming himself for his vanity and reminding himself to remain true to his ideals.

• Locked thread