Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Drachir D Nalem posted:

You should do Dante's Inferno too, since it's basically War(rior) of God. Then you can talk about both christian myths and fanfic.

Except for the part where I hate Dante's Inferno. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
Is it because it rips off God of War completely, its stupid plot or that it tries too hard to be edgy?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Because that's just asking him to do every single god of war knockoff under the sun. And there are a lot of them.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Three numbered games, three unnumbered. The unnumbered ones tend to be prequels, except for Ghost of Sparta, which takes place between the first two.

It goes Ascension, Chains of Olympus, One, Ghost of Sparta, Two, Three

The mobile game and the 8 bit game where you fight Thor and steal Mjolnir don't count.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 8, 2014

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Drachir D Nalem posted:

Is it because it rips off God of War completely, its stupid plot or that it tries too hard to be edgy?

I imagine all of those things plus the fact that on the easiest difficulty it still takes a five million years to slog through any encounter.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Nope; it's basically them just gushing about how awesome the series is.

Aw.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Because that's just asking him to do every single god of war knockoff under the sun. And there are a lot of them.

To be fair, Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death would be a sick game to LP.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Drachir D Nalem posted:

You should do Dante's Inferno too, since it's basically War(rior) of God. Then you can talk about both christian myths and fanfic.

It's also pretty goddamn hilarious. They nailed the Comedy part of their source material.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
I really just would like to hear others discuss the poem/fanfic without them being arrogant little bitches who think just because they've read it, it means they're better than other. I have only met those kind of people who would even consider talking about it.
Can't blame him for hating the game, though.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

It's also pretty goddamn hilarious. They nailed the Comedy part of their source material.

By accident. They nailed the Comedy part by accident.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't count if it's accidental.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Delta Green posted:

I dunno, Lucifer's bloody hilarious right up until the end.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Delta Green posted:

I don't think anyone could write a line like "Sniff again!" without it being intentional. I want to do an LP of Dante's Inferno (maybe after my current one) if only to show what the gameplay is like in a difficulty where you have to have a bit of skill to survive, although it would be nice to do a more in-depth comparison to the poem.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Does it ever get harder than "Punish Demons, DDR Sinners, mash cross until everything is dead"?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Does it ever get harder than "Punish Demons, DDR Sinners, mash cross until everything is dead"?

The bosses require some skill, and they throw large numbers of enemies at you in a few areas that require either the right set of upgrades or more skill than I have. I think most of the bosses are just there to test whether you bought specific abilities. It's a bit like some of the God of War games on the very high difficulty - every part of the game is a roadblock, and the bosses are more about pattern-recognition than any other skill. Dante's Inferno just gives you a few more viable ways to remove most of the challenge.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare educates us about the Cyclops while we suddenly realize that Kratos is the Greek mythology equivilent of an MRA.

Episode 3: Cyclops ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy

Also, Skippy and I examine the madness that is Doug the method actor.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
YES. GOT OFF WORK AND GREAT LP IS BACK

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
One thing I remember reading somewhere is that "Cyclops", "Cerberus", etc. are supposed to be pronounced with a hard "C". So it's more like Kyklops and Kerberos. Except that nobody pronounces them that way any more.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It's worth mentioning that when he meets the woman with the key and tries to stop her non-violently - that's about the one and only time that happens in the entire series. There's not a single time in the rest of the story that he doesn't go 'hey, you have something I need, allow me to convince you to help me with excessive violence!' It turns into jet black comedy in the later games.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

One thing I remember reading somewhere is that "Cyclops", "Cerberus", etc. are supposed to be pronounced with a hard "C". So it's more like Kyklops and Kerberos. Except that nobody pronounces them that way any more.

That's why the dog boss in Ninja Gaiden is called Kelbeross! Daaaang.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The harpies are particularly easy to kill with Medusa's Gaze - it doesn't take much magic, and you usually get a 15-orb "Ruined" bonus when they fall down and smash on the ground, unless they're low enough to be considered on the ground, in which case you have to smash them yourself for a slightly smaller bonus.

I think there was a phoenix feather in that room past the Cyclopes, if you go out onto the ledge where they came from and around the corner. Pretty sure there were more things to get in that area with all the buildings, but probably nothing particularly important. I believe you need to stand on a breakable box to get to one of them, and if the box breaks, it's nearly impossible to get it.

Also, not only do upgrade items turn into red orbs when you no longer need them, but if you manage to upgrade everything to full before the end of the game, any remaining red orb chests turn into blue orb chests. There's really only one way to make that relevant at all, but I think I once turned the very last red chest in the game blue just by getting lots of bonus orbs. I glitched an enemy into an infinite aerial throw loop because I desperately needed Rage of the Gods and just kept going until I stopped getting combo bonuses.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's worth mentioning that when he meets the woman with the key and tries to stop her non-violently - that's about the one and only time that happens in the entire series. There's not a single time in the rest of the story that he doesn't go 'hey, you have something I need, allow me to convince you to help me with excessive violence!' It turns into jet black comedy in the later games.

I'm pretty sure he would've murdered her if he ever managed to catch up to her. He really doesn't know how to achieve any goal non-violently.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeah, I remember reading the Odyssey in high school, and I also remember that the translation we were reading got really... descriptive at the part where Odysseus and his boys gouging out Polyphemus' eye. There was specific mention of the eye essentially bursting into flame, the roots crackling and popping, and blood pouring down... It was a pretty cool moment, as you didn't get a lot of violence that explicit in literature class.

(I also remember watching the Wishbone episode dealing with the Odyssey, and our class struggling to stifle our giggles as this little dog posed as a great hero... with a human wife and son. Wishbone was pretty great.)

But then, Odysseus ruined it all by letting his pride get the better of him... there's that hubris again, rearing his ugly head. As others have said it's something of a theme in Greek literature, how an otherwise strong, clever hero is brought down by letting his cleverness get the better of him. Kratos... well, let's just say being "too clever" is never going to be an issue.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I get mentioned. Hurrah! :)

Post episode stuff.

1) Let's just look at the word Cyclops. It's actually a description, not an abstract name, and you can work it out just from your knowledge of English, since so much of our language is derived right from Latin and Greek. Take a couple of seconds to try it.

Alright, clues? κύκλωψ, kyklops, cyclops. Cycl-ops. Cycle-ops. Cycle-optics. To be a cyclops isn't to be a one-eye, like you might imagine. It's a round-eye. I mean, that's presumably because when something has one eye, that eye is naturally conceived of as larger and rounder, but still a mildly interesting bit of trivia.

2) There are several depictions of Odysseus escaping Polyphemos' cave as Bobbin described, and they're pretty funny. But I guess Cyclops-sized sheep are going to be big enough for humans to be carried under.

http://www.getty.edu/art/gettyguide/artObjectDetails?artobj=110624

http://mrbpielglobal.edublogs.org/2010/11/14/

3) The undiluted wine is quite important. Greeks mixed a fairly substantial part of their wine with water, and considered not doing so barbaric. Polyphemos accepting the wine neat shows his crassness and justifies the deep stupor he falls into. We still have plenty of stories of Greeks getting roaring drunk, so they probably drank quite a bit more to make up for the dilution, and possibly had lower alcohol tolerances.

4)Bobbin mentioned the Titanomachy. μάχη/makhe is the Greek word for battle, and there are a number of important mythological punch-ups which get called the something-machy. The Titanomachy, we've already said, is the war between the Titans and the Olympian gods. The sculptures on the Parthenon handily show several others. On the east metopes, we think we see the Gigantomachy, the fight against the Giants where Herakles helped the Olympian gods to victory. On the south, there is the Centauromachy, a war between the centaurs and the human tribe of the Lapiths, following from the centaurs' drunken behaviour at a Lapith wedding (important to Athens because Theseus was present.) On the west, the Amazonomachy, the war between Athens and the Amazons after Theseus married Queen Hippolyte.

Sure. Greek has no soft C, or a C at all - everything's kappas, Ks. Latin has a C which it uses to transcribe the Greek kappa (and is where we get the spelling cyclops from instead of κύκλωψ/Kyklops), but that C too is never soft. English is kind of weird that way. Still, not even 1% of the biggest Classics turbonerds will pronounce those words with hard Cs in English. Other languages might have 'proper' pronunciation depending on their own lack/possession of soft Cs, how much they took from Latin/Greek, and how strict their scholarly community is about using stuff right from the source language vs naturalised forms.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 10, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Sure. Greek has no soft C, or a C at all - everything's kappas, Ks. Latin has a C which it uses to transcribe the Greek kappa (and is where we get the spelling cyclops from instead of κύκλωψ/Kyklops), but that C too is never soft. English is kind of weird that way. Still, not even 1% of the biggest Classics turbonerds will pronounce those words with hard Cs in English. Other languages might have 'proper' pronunciation depending on their own lack/possession of soft Cs, how much they took from Latin/Greek, and how strict their scholarly community is about using stuff right from the source language vs naturalised forms.

I blame French. It's basically the reason why we even have a non-phonetic written language. That and Chaucer.

Speaking of archaic pronunciations, though, something I remember discovering in college is that Greek names like Perseus, Odysseus, and Theseus should really be pronounced as though they rhyme with Zeus. It's the same vowel construction, after all, but for some reason we break it into two syllables now.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Do not Perseus Leus Beus.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
If the spelling for Cyclops is κύκλωψ, doesn't that mean it should be pronounced Koo-klopes? Or are upsilon and omega not pronounced how I think?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's the same vowel construction, after all, but for some reason we break it into two syllables now.
It's the Greek -> Latin transition, as far as I can tell. Latin doesn't have the proper eu dipthong, so it goes from The-seus to The-se-us. This also happens to be more natural for a Latin speaker because it gives you an -us ending, though it still then has to decline to pseudo-Greek Thesea instead of Theseum.

Alien Arcana posted:

If the spelling for Cyclops is κύκλωψ, doesn't that mean it should be pronounced Koo-klopes? Or are upsilon and omega not pronounced how I think?

Upsilon is about halfway between English u and vocalic y. When it's in a position like that in Kyklops, it maybe shades more toward the y, and we represent it thus.

Omega is a long o, but not like the oo sound in food. More like a non-rhotic (most English accents) for.

Here, let's learn to say κύκλωψ. And Ζεύς, Περσεύς, Ὀδυσσεύς and Θησεύς, since that came up too. (Disclaimer: this is not strictly my area and mostly what I've picked up from an occasional lecture instead of formally studied.)

Tricks of the trade:
Ancient Greek theta is an aspirated t, not the fricative th. It's the difference beteen the French table and the English table, or that's the best example I've ever found.
Likewise, Ancient Greek zeta is a horrible mashup. Z in English is basically just ds, and while Greek sometimes behaves like that's true too, the actual pronunciation is more like an English dz.
Getting vowel length is very important, but I don't speak enough Greek aloud to fluently show the difference between epsilon and eta or omicron and omega without horrendously overexaggerating it. Hopefully you can just about hear the difference between the 'e' sound in the first syllable of Perseus and that in the first syllable of Theseus.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 10, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goddamn. I took a little greek before discovering I could not manage it and I never knew I was pronouncing everything so wrong. Greek is hard for an English Speaker.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Man I should have found this thread quicker than I did given my name.

But for me my favorite hero in Greek Mythology is not actually Achilles, but instead Diomedes who is probably the first Mary Sue/OP character of all time. I mean all you really need to know about Diomedes is his deeds in Books V and VI in the Iliad where he basically goes on a one man rampage and gives the God of War a sensation he never felt before: PAIN

Diomedes had a neckbeard, does that make him the idealized goon?

But before that a quick run down of Diomedes: he was not a demigod like many other Greek Heroes of the time. He was the son of Tydeus who was one of the participants in the Famous Seven Against Thebes and was so beloved by Athena that she was going to give him immortality. That was until Tydeus decided to eat the brains of Melanippus, defender of the Proitid gate of Thebes. Anyway that was not kosher so no immortality for Tydeus, he dies in the conflict and the attack on Thebes fails. Diomedes during the funeral of the Seven Fathers vows with the sons of the other six kings that they would avenge their fathers and destroy Thebes. I should mention that Diomedes was four years old at this point.

Diomedes and the rest of the fatherless gang (Aegialeus, Alcmaeon, Amphilocus, Euryalus, Promachus, Sthenelus, Thersander) would call themselves the "Epigoni" which means they were born "after everything has happened" And so, 10 years pass and they join up in a force that was not as big as the one seen in the original 7 Against Thebes, but this war was considered the most important epic before the Trojan War and it really loving sucks that this epic is all lost to the ravages of time.

All we know is that 15 year old Diomedes was considered the mightiest of all the warriors and his forces were able to vanquish the Thebeans and have their women folk driven before them. After coming back rich in loot he was able to become King of Argos through political maneuvering (Aegialeus was king of Argos and died in the conflict, he was married to Diomedes' sister and Diomedes decided to marry Aegialeus' daughter, thus making him King) and was able to rule well for 5 years and was well respected among the leaders of the other city states. Basically Diomedes at this age of his life was Prez Rickard. He also tended to the politics of his father's homeland (Calydonia) and was able to restore leadership of the throne there to his grandpa.

A few years later he becomes one of the suitors of Helen and agrees to the Oath of Tyndareus, which established that all the suitors would defend and protect the man who was chosen as Helen's husband against any wrong done against him in regard to his marriage. You should all know the rest with Paris, and the Apple, and Odysseus trying to pussy out by pretending to be insane, and how Agamemnon had to sacrifice his own daughter to get the 1000 ships to Troy, etc.

9 years later and the War is still raging and Achilles being the man baby that he is decides to have a hissy and leave with all his good antmen soldiers which is pretty big blow to the Achaean offensive force. And to really show how valient and "pure" Diomedes is in Book IV of the Iliad Agamemnon basically chews him out and says that Tydeus was a much better fighter than Diomedes. Now Achilles would have reacted by making angry face and try to rip off Agamemnon's head. One of Diomedes comrades tells Dio to yell back how he avenged his father and defeated "Seven-gated Thebes", but Dio was basically "Man he's trying to light a fire under my rear end and I should just use it to motivate for the next battle" As you can see this works very well in the next battle.

For now we are finally at the part I was going to talk about; Dio's big badass moment in the Iliad (probably the best badass moment had not Achilles fought a loving River God and nearly stormed the walls of Troy himself in a bloodlust not seen until 2006 when I saw the movie Troy for the first time)

Athena and Diomedes were basically the first healer and tank combo

At the beginning of Book V Athena using her powers ups Dio's valor levels 1000 fold as he goes around the battlefield wearing armor crafted by Hephaestus (only person in the Trojan War other than Achilles to have a cuirass made by the lame god), his father's helmet that was mortal made, but blessed by Athena, and sword made by a skilled smith. Along with valor, Athena also makes it that streams of fire are loving flaring from his shield and helmet :black101: and Diomedes kills some Trojans before being wounded by Pandarus who has the cowardly and unmanly skill at using a bow and arrow. Does this stop Diomedes though? No the guy has goddamn fire flying around him and is the champion to the goddess of war so he stops and prays to Athena for the quote "slaughter of Pandarus" and so Athena wiggles her nose and boom he can see the difference between gods and men and she tells him to make sure to stab Aphrodite if that bitch decides to show up on the battlefield, but she warns him to not engage with any other god.

So Diomedes gets back to killing Trojans, including a couple of Priam's sons (which there are many because *insert bad Trojan condom joke here*) until Aeneas, son of Aphrodite and future star in a Roman Propaganda Epic decides to mount up with Pandarus on a chariot. He knows he can take them both on, but he knows Aphrodite will try to save her son and also knows that Aeneas' horses are descended from immortal horses owned by Zeus himself. So he orders his friend and co-king of Argos Sthenelus to steal the horses while he is fighting Aeneas.

Love how glassy eyed Aeneas is here being dragged away from Diomedes who's being held back from kicking his rear end even more

But first Diomedes has to deal with Pandarus who decides to chuck a spear at Diomedes and then brags immediately that he killed the son of Tydeus, but nope Dio comes back and says the ancient version of an 80s Action Film one liner "at least, one of you will be slain"; :black101: and throws his spear which kills Pandarus. Now unarmed what do you think Dio is going to do facing off a son Aphrodite, run away, no Dio doesn't play by those rules and just gives him the ol Killer Croc technique of picking up a big rock (with ease even!) and hurls it at Aeneas crushing his hip. Aeneas faints like a Pokemon and Aphrodite comes rescuing her boy, but not before Diomedes wounds her arm. She drops her son and runs back to Olympus crying, so its up to the golden boy and all around pompous rear end in a top hat Apollo to come by and save Aeneas. Still feeling the rush of wounding a god, Dio tries to harm Apollo two times before Apollo is like "Hey man don't start poo poo that you ain't going to win". Now any other demigod hero would say "gently caress THAT YOU FLYING rear end in a top hat!! *attacks him again, meets blazing hot death from Apollo's sun pain arrows*" but Diomedes is a mere mortal and has the humility to say okay and stop. But all was not lost since Diomedes now had in possession the second pair of immortal horses among the Achaeans (Achilles had the first and man I'm starting to see a pattern with Dio and Achilles here)

There were consequences for his actions however, as Apollo decided to be a dick and urged the god of barbaric butchery Ares to take revenge against Dio transgressions of harming his girlfriend and attempting to attack another god in the process of protecting her son. Ares obliged and like a comet hitting the Earth he came upon the battlefield and started to help the Trojans in battle. Able to see the war god, Dio ordered the Achaeans to retreat back to the ships. Hera saw what was happening and went to help the Achaean forces while Athena chewed out her champion as he rested by his new horses. She mocked him by comparing him to his father who didn't listen to her advice, Diomedes merely replied, "Goddess, I know you truly and will not hide anything from you. I am following your instructions and retreating for I know that Ares is fighting among the Trojans :smug:". She then replied, "Diomedes most dear to my heart, do not fear this immortal or any other god for I will protect you." (There must have been some DiomedesXAthena slash myths that have been lost to time because they really lay it thick here)

I got to mention I love the Corinthian Helmet design, I mean just look at Athena there actually wearing the thing

So Athena throws poor Sthenelus out of the chariot and rides with Dio and before Ares can turn around to look, Athena somehow has the invisible helmet of Hades (even then there were cop outs I guess) and now Ares can only see this lone man charging his chariot at him. Ares smiles like a butcher's dog and throws his spear at Dio but Athena reaches out and grabs it while Dio throws his spear which is guided by Athena's midochlorians and hits Ares right in the gut. Having never been wounded before Ares screams with the force of 10,000 men, scaring the poo poo of Achaean and Trojan alike, and runs back to Olympus like a bully who got kicked in the balls by the nerd and tries tattling on Zeus who instead gives him poo poo for being a pussy.

And so on that day Diomedes became the first man to ever wound two gods in a single day. Later in Book VI as the battle raged on and Dio racked up more kills than a yinzer on the first day of deer hunting season. Hector's brother Helenus described Diomedes' fighting skills in this manner: "He fights with fury and fills men's souls with panic. I hold him mightiest of them all; we did not fear even their great champion Achilles, son of an immortal though he be, as we do this man: his rage is beyond all bounds, and there is none can vie with him in prowess." By the end the Priam's wife gathered matrons at the temple of Athena in the acropolis and offered the goddess the largest, fairest robe of Troy. She also promised the sacrifice of twelve heifers if Athena could take pity on them and break the spear of Diomedes. Athena, as expected did not grant it.

And that's basically that; I'm really sorry for all the :words: but when you start something at 1:10 and finish at 2:30 (going back and forth between this and wikipedia kills a lot of time). I remember the good old days when I used to do a blog called "Moments in Greek Mythology" where I would ramble on random Greek Myths and would only find out later that I was basically stealing Cracked.com's article format.

So yeah in short Diomedes was an OP badass motherfucker and Troy is an awful loving film and Peter Jackson needs to here out my idea for a new multimillion dollar franchise based around the Trojan Cycle.

I would also like to be :smug: for a moment and say that I won the first place ribbon in the 2009 Pennsylvania Junior Classical League Mythology test by beating hundreds of other nerds who actually studied really hard while I on the otherhand did not because you can't properly test yourself on knowledge by studying. This is also probably why I ended in 2nd place in 2010 because some jagoff from Philly spent the time and effort studying. (I still got 1st place in Roman Lifestyle though that year :smug:)

Desmodae posted:

My personal favorite version of the Orpheus myth is the folk opera version.
From way back, but my personal favorite version is the adaptation of Orpheus as Dream's son in The Sandman comics.

Finally best Mythology video game is still Age of Mythology and I won't here a word differently :colbert: R.I.P. Ensemble Games :smith:

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 10, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sleep of Bronze posted:

It's the Greek -> Latin transition, as far as I can tell. Latin doesn't have the proper eu dipthong, so it goes from The-seus to The-se-us. This also happens to be more natural for a Latin speaker because it gives you an -us ending, though it still then has to decline to pseudo-Greek Thesea instead of Theseum.

Upsilon is about halfway between English u and vocalic y. When it's in a position like that in Kyklops, it maybe shades more toward the y, and we represent it thus.

Omega is a long o, but not like the oo sound in food. More like a non-rhotic (most English accents) for.

Here, let's learn to say κύκλωψ. And Ζεύς, Περσεύς, Ὀδυσσεύς and Θησεύς, since that came up too. (Disclaimer: this is not strictly my area and mostly what I've picked up from an occasional lecture instead of formally studied.)

Tricks of the trade:
Ancient Greek theta is an aspirated t, not the fricative th. It's the difference beteen the French table and the English table, or that's the best example I've ever found.
Likewise, Ancient Greek zeta is a horrible mashup. Z in English is basically just ds, and while Greek sometimes behaves like that's true too, the actual pronunciation is more like an English dz.
Getting vowel length is very important, but I don't speak enough Greek aloud to fluently show the difference between epsilon and eta or omicron and omega without horrendously overexaggerating it. Hopefully you can just about hear the difference between the 'e' sound in the first syllable of Perseus and that in the first syllable of Theseus.

As much as I enjoy your posts, I have to raise a comment on this one, specifically with the pronunciation of the Greek names. Transliterating what you said into Greek, it would be as follows: Κούκλωψ, Ζέους, Περσέους, Οντουσσέους, Τεσσέους, and not Κύκλωψ, Ζεύς, Περσεύς, Οδυσσεύς, Θησεύς. I will be able to do a tindeck of my own, later this afternoon, with how they're pronounced, at least today, apologies if I am coming off as too critical. My own knowledge of it comes from modern Greek mostly, but I did take Ancient Greek for school, and I'd be happy to post a bit about Greek if the thread is interested in a bunch of punctuation over vaguely familiar letters, I think I still have my schoolbooks around (although oddly enough we've never read Homer in Ancient, it was just small excerpts of text at most).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

Finally best Mythology video game is still Age of Mythology and I won't here a word differently :colbert: R.I.P. Ensemble Games :smith:
I love AoM's take on the Trojan War. From Agamemnon being a pompous incompetent rear end who fights with his fists because he lost his spear, through the most ridiculous origin of the horse possible (completely random monologue by the shoehorned protagonists sparking an OH poo poo moment in Odysseus), to the fact that all the Greeks that matter realize how stupid it is an roll with it just because it shuts Agamemnon up.
It only takes like three missions but there's a lot of great moments and comedy present with those tiny pixelated men.

And yes, AoM is the best Age game.
edit: I think I mentioned it before, but Athena is voiced by the same actress in AoM and GoW. It feels very comforting to hear her here.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

...Except modern greeks who pronounce it "Kerveros" and "Kýklo̱ps" and speakers of the many languages where transliterating ancient greek texts was more common.

e;fb

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 10, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Great Joe posted:

...Except modern greeks who pronounce it "Kerveros" and "Kýklo̱ps"

Vouching for this, we do indeed pronounce them Kerveros, Kyklopas (modernization), etc.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sleep of Bronze posted:

3) The undiluted wine is quite important. Greeks mixed a fairly substantial part of their wine with water, and considered not doing so barbaric. Polyphemos accepting the wine neat shows his crassness and justifies the deep stupor he falls into. We still have plenty of stories of Greeks getting roaring drunk, so they probably drank quite a bit more to make up for the dilution, and possibly had lower alcohol tolerances.

Really? I remember in the Deus Ex thread (another great thread, btw) that water-down wine was done so as to make water drinkable by the ethanol effectively sterilizing it. I wasn't aware there was also a classicsm thing to it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

Really? I remember in the Deus Ex thread (another great thread, btw) that water-down wine was done so as to make water drinkable by the ethanol effectively sterilizing it. I wasn't aware there was also a classicsm thing to it.

They don't seem to be mutually exclusive.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I've added quite a few posts to the Interesting Posts section. Keep this up, guys, it's freaking awesome and I love it.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Yeah, watered wine and other alcohols were used to have safe drinking water. Going for lightly or undiluted wine was probably the equivalent if going to a restaurant with friends who have a beer or two with dinner and you show up with a fifth of whiskey and just take swigs straight from the bottle.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

I love AoM's take on the Trojan War. From Agamemnon being a pompous incompetent rear end who fights with his fists because he lost his spear, through the most ridiculous origin of the horse possible (completely random monologue by the shoehorned protagonists sparking an OH poo poo moment in Odysseus), to the fact that all the Greeks that matter realize how stupid it is an roll with it just because it shuts Agamemnon up.
It only takes like three missions but there's a lot of great moments and comedy present with those tiny pixelated men.
Yeah, quite a few great moments in that.

Also, you can train however many hoplites, no one can spare a new spear...

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 10, 2014

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Serperoth posted:

As much as I enjoy your posts, I have to raise a comment on this one, specifically with the pronunciation of the Greek names. Transliterating what you said into Greek, it would be as follows: Κούκλωψ, Ζέους, Περσέους, Οντουσσέους, Τεσσέους, and not Κύκλωψ, Ζεύς, Περσεύς, Οδυσσεύς, Θησεύς. I will be able to do a tindeck of my own, later this afternoon, with how they're pronounced, at least today, apologies if I am coming off as too critical. My own knowledge of it comes from modern Greek mostly, but I did take Ancient Greek for school, and I'd be happy to post a bit about Greek if the thread is interested in a bunch of punctuation over vaguely familiar letters, I think I still have my schoolbooks around (although oddly enough we've never read Homer in Ancient, it was just small excerpts of text at most).

I've also done my Ancient Attic Greek (THE DISTINCTION IS IMPORTANT). Also, Zeta is more zd than dz.

Otherwise, Zeus wouldn't decline with a Delta instead of the Zeta in every other declination than Nominative (hence Dios in the Genitive). Thus, a proof of "Yup, Indo-European is a thing".

Finally, the declination of Greek names in Latin is strange at times. Yeah, you get some like Theseus going Thesea in the plural (but who would seriously write Theseus as a plural?), but others like Aeneas keep something like the Greek declination.

Oh, and about the Cyclops incident of the Odyssey, there's a double word-game. When Odysseus says he's no-one, he uses the word "mèthis" (sorry for the latin alphabet) which does mean "No-one"… but also means "Cunning" (which incidentally was the name of Athena's mother). This is reinforced when he boasts because he uses both "mèthis" to refer to the name he gave Polyphemus and "oudeis" (which also means no one) before saying he's Odysseus. Basically going "I told you I was Cunning/No-One (mèthis), but I am not No-One (oudeis), but Odysseus".

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Alavaria posted:

Yeah, quite a few great moments in that.

Also, you can train however many hoplites, no one can spare a new spear...
Age of Mythology also has some amazing cheat units, the encyclopedia is really fun and where I learned a lot of my basic mythology, the soundtrack is amazing (with the best names too), and the end credits are glorious.

Also my canon Ajax the Greater is not what happens in epics after the Iliad, but rather what happens to him in AOM :colbert:

Other than AOM, my favorite Classical Mythology piece of fiction is the Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus series. Despite being YA (especially the first 2 books) as gently caress and there are a lot of moments where you can tell the 45 year old dad try to be hip and cool with the kids these days; the books are really well researched with a lot of obscure myths and monsters put into the work. Also he doesn't sugar coat anything and tries to change the perspectives of the gods, they are still enormous petty douchebags who don't give a poo poo about their kids. I can't wait for the final Heroes of Olympus book because the last one was probably the best in both series. It was :black101: as gently caress since the characters had to escape Tartarus which instead of being a generic fiery hell was actually the disgusting body of an elder god that could not beaten at all and had armor that was made from the bodies of those who crossed him :stonk:. The book also was able to make Nyx pretty scary by also going down the abstract Lovecraft route

The main appeal to me though is just seeing how the author finds ways of giving gods, monsters, and ghosts mundane jobs or how this famous historical figure was actually a demigod. Mainly because I always wanted to write that book, but every time I tried I always ended projecting myself as the main character and got too depressed by how pathetic that was. Maybe try 59399349 will be different though and I'll make a million dollars and have a lovely movie made that makes a lot of money in international markets, but bombs here horribly. :unsmith:

I also noticed that the author just released a snarky book talking about Greek Myths and drat it Rick Riordian I was also going to write that book! :argh:

Can't wait for him to get into Norse Mythology though.

Oh and the last Heroes of Olympus book has a pretty boss title: Blood of Olympus :unsmigghh:

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Age of Mythology also has some amazing cheat units, the encyclopedia is really fun and where I learned a lot of my basic mythology, the soundtrack is amazing (with the best names too), and the end credits are glorious.

Also my canon Ajax the Greater is not what happens in epics after the Iliad, but rather what happens to him in AOM :colbert:
You know, I defeated the final boss without using him, instead it was heros and standard soldiers all the way to the end...

Obviously in GoW that is not gonna work on Ares...

• Locked thread