Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Pffft. This would be nothing to the L.A. Beast!

BRB gotta send an email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

MageMage posted:

Pffft. This would be nothing to the L.A. Beast!

BRB gotta send an email.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NMNbr4z7eE\

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

http://usuncut.com/class-war/valeant-ceo-shareholder-profit/

So basically, not to be outdone, and to back up what an earlier poster said about what that aids pill guy did not being uncommon, some other rear end in a top hat named J. Michael Pearson, CEO of Valeant Pharmaceuticals pulled a lot of the same kind of poo poo, and then shamelessly went on record to say that “My primary responsibility is to shareholders. We can do anything we want to do."

Well, now that has kind of backfired, as the stock price of his corporation has dropped 40% in less than a week, with his personal stake being measured at around $1 Billion USD lost. The funny part is that this is not even related to the Shkreli incident, but to other shady business practises.

http://usuncut.com/news/valeant-stock-plummets-amid-enron-like-scandal/

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

A good way to gently caress up your door crack.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kizudarake posted:

If they ever perfect a time machine, I'm going back in time to the 1800s and deposit a hundred dollars into a bank account. I'm then going to travel forward in time to the year you were born and offer your parents all the money from the account to prank you in some manner every week from age two until you graduate high school.

Where are you going to get the hundred dollars? I doubt they'd take 2015 money.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Mephiston posted:

http://usuncut.com/class-war/valeant-ceo-shareholder-profit/

So basically, not to be outdone, and to back up what an earlier poster said about what that aids pill guy did not being uncommon, some other rear end in a top hat named J. Michael Pearson, CEO of Valeant Pharmaceuticals pulled a lot of the same kind of poo poo, and then shamelessly went on record to say that “My primary responsibility is to shareholders. We can do anything we want to do."

why_libertarianism_doesnt_work.txt

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

Just take some gold/silver back.

Or aluminum.

quote:

Aluminium was selected as the material to use for the 100 ounces (2.8 kg) capstone of the Washington Monument in 1884, a time when one ounce (30 grams) cost the daily wage of a common worker on the project (in 1884 about $1 for 10 hours of labor; today, a construction worker in the US working on such a project might earn $25–$35 per hour and therefore around $300 in an equivalent single 10-hour day).[63] The capstone, which was set in place on 6 December 1884 in an elaborate dedication ceremony, was the largest single piece of aluminium cast at the time.

And only 4 years later the Hall-Héroult process was perfected, which allowed for the industrial scale production of aluminum.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

So it's impossible to buy old banknotes?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hated it when my dad pranked me, goddamn it dad.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Dad pranks help sons to prank their own children later in life, leading to a long and distinguished Brotherhood of Pranksmanship throughout history.

Girls have, like, tampon clubs or something, I guess.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Moon Slayer posted:

why_libertarianism_doesnt_work.txt

What he's doing is, again, taking advantage of *FDA regulation* and US patent law. What the hell do either of those things have to do with libertarianism?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Then let's go with why_unchecked_capitalism_is_the_worst.txt

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Again, it's a state of affairs that's taking full advantage of *existing regulation.*. FDA regulations prohibiting generic manufacturers in India from selling drugs in the US aren't "unchecked capitalism." Patent laws which give a corporation a legal monopoly for a period of time aren't "unchecked capitalism."

It's rent-seeking.txt. It's got nothing to do with a *lack* of regulation. Unchecked capitalism would result in different awful things happening, but these particular awful things are the predictable result of the particular checks on capitalism we've implemented.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 11:36 on Oct 26, 2015

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Phanatic posted:

What he's doing is, again, taking advantage of *FDA regulation* and US patent law. What the hell do either of those things have to do with libertarianism?

gently caress YOU GOT MINE

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Dad pranks help sons to prank their own children later in life, leading to a long and distinguished Brotherhood of Pranksmanship throughout history.

Girls have, like, tampon clubs or something, I guess.

Women practice being deeply cruel to one another without the prank veneer.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Do we have any more of these British ones? I've well acquainted with the American ones -- One Got Fat, the train ones on MST3k (why don't they look?) -- but the British ones are done with such a cruelty to them that makes it even more bizarre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0xmSV6aq0g

It's narrated by Donald Fcuking Pleasence. Even as an adult, it's bloody scary.

I remember the third one as a child. Not only I am scared of electricity substations, I still have a phobia of frisbees.

So, I guess it worked.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

spog posted:

I remember the third one as a child. Not only I am scared of electricity substations, I still have a phobia of frisbees.

So, I guess it worked.

Australian PSAs were apparently directed by 1970s George Miller..
(skip to 2:10 and 3:45 if you just want to see smashes) :madmax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

splink

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

God bless the internet, of course, there's a gif

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Phanatic posted:

Again, it's a state of affairs that's taking full advantage of *existing regulation.*. FDA regulations prohibiting generic manufacturers in India from selling drugs in the US aren't "unchecked capitalism." Patent laws which give a corporation a legal monopoly for a period of time aren't "unchecked capitalism."

It's rent-seeking.txt. It's got nothing to do with a *lack* of regulation. Unchecked capitalism would result in different awful things happening, but these particular awful things are the predictable result of the particular checks on capitalism we've implemented.

How is that rent seeking?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Jastiger posted:

How is that rent seeking?

They're leveraging regulations and social structures to redirect existing wealth toward themselves rather than creating new wealth.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Slugnoid posted:

(skip to 2:10 and 3:45 if you just want to see smashes) :madmax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8

Soundtrack should have been Cannibal Corpse, Shredded Humans

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Rondette posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0GyRz_lOQA

It's a slow burner all right. You'd think after the first death the farmers would tell the kids to GTFO, but no, they just carry on.

The UK wasn't the only one with weird/creepy PSAs....this one takes some sort of cake for creepiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQgAMkMmsfg

Brilliant -- something to watch this evening while we have our tea.

When I was tiny in the early '70s, we were shown similarly gruesome and scarring PSAs; there's one I remember only flashes of that I would have seen around 1971/2 in the first grade -- it was the first time I'd ever seen a film like that, and it left me a bit wary of movies and TV for a while. It involved two little girls taking candy from a stranger, and ending up not only dead, but with quick flashes of them lying dead, and a memorable shot of one girl's empty little shoe floating down a small stream (the bodies had been thrown down an embankment/in a waste area near a stream). 45 years later, and those shots of the dead kids are still burned in my memory. I don't even think we understood what in the hell was going on.

That, added to the air raid/nuclear attack drills still going on at that school until about 1973 or so, was seriously shocking to my littl'un self mostly because I had no context for what was going on, only that it was scary as gently caress. I think that's why til this day, if you've got something bad or scary or shocking to tell me JUST TELL ME so that I can get as much info as possible to start processing it.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

So, I guess it worked.

Not to mention the necrophiliac at 1:41. They were different times....

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Besesoth posted:

They're leveraging regulations and social structures to redirect existing wealth toward themselves rather than creating new wealth.

So is any form of income that isn't "generating new wealth" rent seeking? If I buy your car and resell it for $4000 more is that rent seeking? Is an SA sub rent seeking? I'm confused as to how this is rent seeking and the company not being a dick.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Jastiger posted:

So is any form of income that isn't "generating new wealth" rent seeking? If I buy your car and resell it for $4000 more is that rent seeking? Is an SA sub rent seeking? I'm confused as to how this is rent seeking and the company not being a dick.

Rent-seeking *is* being a dick. I'm not saying the company isn't being a dick, I'm saying the company is being a dick in an entirely predictable and expected way given the existing body of regulation. They're not engaged in any additional productive enterprise, they're simply using the body of law to help them jack up the price on an already-existing good. They are essentially using the power of government to take money away from sick people and give it to them. If you buy my car and try to resell if for $4000 more than I sold it to you, that's not rent-seeking, that's you looking to make a profit. If you buy my 2014 model car and then try to lobby the local government to make it illegal to sell cars older than that in order to reduce the supply of cars for sale and let you jack the price up, that's rent-seeking.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Nah, it's more like selling a car requires an inspection, and you're the only one with a permit to do an inspection. (For whatever reason. Sometimes the government likes to limit the number of permits for vague motives, and other times, the economic barrier to entry can be too high.)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Welp, something happy has come out of this thread, and the schadenfrood is on me. I took a dip through that Apaches film a little while ago, and went downstairs to ask Mr Boods,

:stare: So in the '70s in Britain when kids died, they just packed up their things in boxes and they never existed anymore

:britain: They were more practical times back then.

:stare: I mean, I know they wanted to teach a lesson

:britain: You watching the train PIF again?

:stare: No, the one about the kids on the farm.

:britain: What?! Where the kid drowns in pig poo poo???

:gonk: Yep

:neckbeard: I've been looking for that one for ages!!! We'll watch it with tea tonight.

:stonk: Fantastic

:circlefap: I'll make lasagne.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Phanatic posted:

Rent-seeking *is* being a dick. I'm not saying the company isn't being a dick, I'm saying the company is being a dick in an entirely predictable and expected way given the existing body of regulation. They're not engaged in any additional productive enterprise, they're simply using the body of law to help them jack up the price on an already-existing good. They are essentially using the power of government to take money away from sick people and give it to them. If you buy my car and try to resell if for $4000 more than I sold it to you, that's not rent-seeking, that's you looking to make a profit. If you buy my 2014 model car and then try to lobby the local government to make it illegal to sell cars older than that in order to reduce the supply of cars for sale and let you jack the price up, that's rent-seeking.

Goddamnit, Phanatic, stop trying to use reason and logic. You know it gets you nowhere.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Ms Boods posted:

Welp, something happy has come out of this thread, and the schadenfrood is on me. I took a dip through that Apaches film a little while ago, and went downstairs to ask Mr Boods,

:stare: So in the '70s in Britain when kids died, they just packed up their things in boxes and they never existed anymore

:neckbeard: I've been looking for that one for ages!!! We'll watch it with tea tonight.

A good man.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Ms Boods posted:

Happy as a pig in poo poo.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Slugnoid posted:

Here's one from Brian Trenchard Smith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXaqN5pCl3Q

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Sorry guys! When you said "let go on '3'" I thought you meant "let go on 'go'"! v:shobon:v

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Phanatic posted:

Ah. SO its using government to make profits instead of creating something new, though you can do it WITHOUT government interference. "Scarcity" is a bitch.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

C.M. Kruger posted:

A guy playing a military simulator notices a spider IRL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tj4kkJUpVo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYS6JWnSAY8

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Freudian posted:

Happy as a pig in poo poo.

Please don't put the word 'poo poo' near 'lasagna'

It's kind of a trigger for me.

First Tube
Apr 25, 2010

From this day on I'd have to fight these forces of darkness and deal with the burden of day to day admin.

syscall girl posted:

http://i.imgur.com/nFhsi2g.gifv

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

syscall girl posted:

I am intrigued. Please tell us your story about poo poo lasagna.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Rah! posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1353420&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

More accurately this specific post:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1353420&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post294092595

You're a bad goon. This is forums history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rah! posted:

Google fecal lasagna if you'd like to know more, I just happen to really like lasagna and not like to think about well