Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

"The Discovery of the New World", Bautlemen 1412 posted:

On Juno the 7th, in the 1348th Year of His Name, the great explorer Baudelio Ovidio-Tessaro set sail from the golden shores of the even-greater Austian Empire. Attempting to find a more efficient trade route to Indichine (though many maintain Baudelio was simply trying to find a back way into the Slovenes to precipitate an easy escape to the end of an assassination plot) Baudelio’s ship was blown far off course. For months and months his brave crew braved terribly brave storms and the harsh elements, sure beyond measure that they would never see their homes again.

On Octobre the 18th, 1348 HY, Baudelio’s crew found landfall on an alien beach, the pebbly sand warmed by the high sun. Great trees stretched toward the sun, soft loam beneath the canopy as Baudelio and his men trekked deep into the foreign woods. They chanced upon a stout, hairy man perhaps six heads tall, dressed in colorful skins and matted fur (it was hard to tell where the skins ended and the man’s own hair began) carrying a long spear of jagged stone.

“You there!” Baudelio called, to the savage’s great surprise. “Come here, we would have words with you!” The creature said nothing, just staring at him through hair-draped eyes. It took several more minutes of futile conversation before Tessaro’s crew sheepishly informed him that the stranger probably didn’t speak Austian. Baudelio nodded, understanding immediately. He drew in his breath, throwing his arms wide as he turned to speak. “YOU! DWARF-MAN! WE OF GREAT EMPIRE! LAND OF AUSTIA! WHERE HERE? WHERE HERE IS!?”

The newly-monikered dwarf looked back and forth among the empty space where the captain was pointing. Not understanding, he grunted to himself, attempting to grasp the vastness of the strange man’s question.

“Kunyuba”, he grunted simply.

Since then the New Continent of Kunyuba has proven to be a beacon for the civilized nations of the world, eager to plunder its riches and learn its secrets. In the hundred-and-thirty years since its discovery, Kunyuba has grown immeasurably with almost the entire Western coast colonized by civilized humanity. Brave colonists and frontiersmen continually push east into the untamed wilderness in the name of King, Gods, and Country, dragging Old World politics and rivalries into the New.

You are one such colonist. Perhaps you’re a recent immigrant from the Old World, eager to plunder the riches of the New World; maybe you’re the son or daughter of a previous colonist, ready to carve your own name into Kunyuba. Regardless of where you come from, you find yourself in the employ of The Braxton Agency, your particular skillset apparently being in high demand in their organization. It dawns on you, however, that despite a dazzling speech and high promises, just what it is that The Agency does is a bit of a mystery to you. Maybe your expectations will be met, maybe they won’t be. Either way in Kunyuba, a man’s destiny is their own!

So… wait, what is this?

Well it’s a Fate Accelerated Edition Play-by-Post game.

Oh, I didn’t get that from whatever that was.

Yeah sorry, I got excited. PublicOpinion and I brainstormed the idea of an “Americana-themed” light-fantasy setting for RPGs, and as a grad student in American History I got really excited at the prospect of transforming American history into a game setting.

So it’s America but with dragons and poo poo?

Kinda? My hope was to go for a kind of American Civil War aesthetic but with ideas and themes pulled from different parts of American history, from pre-colonial to the 20th Century. My hope is to make an alien version of American history that has a lot of familiarity to it but (hopefully) without the baggage of living in the real world. That is it’s inspired by the world we live in, but it’s not the same one. Like pretty much all fantasy settings are in a way, I guess, but I digress.

So… it’s America but with dragons and poo poo?

No, I want to make it clear that Kunyuba is a NO-MAGIC setting (Or...is it?)! The tech level is roughly at the same point it was during the American Civil War. Superstitions and tall tales abound, of course, and really who’s to say that this snake-oil salesman isn’t the real deal? It is the not1800s, of course. But dragons and shooting fireballs from wands are children’s stories from the pre-Enlightenment era. Feel free to play an investigator of the occult or a pagan or whatever you want, just draw the line at actually slinging spells and whatnot. Deception and parlor tricks are, of course, fair play!

However, I also want to make it clear that just because Kunyuba is No Magic Allowed doesn’t mean it’s No Fun Allowed. As that little intro story hinted at, for example, Dwarves are akin to Native American stand-ins in Kunyuba. So far they are the only fantasy race shown in the New World, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t other exotic races present, either in Kunyuba or the Old World. Maybe there’s a nation of notPortuguese lizard people? notChinese Panda-inspired bipedal humanoids (jesus don’t do this you racist)? I’m fine with that, as much like in America racism is a big issue in Kunyuba. The only rule is that if you want to be a non-human race, they still need to be analogous to humans. That means no super-combat-capable Mantis Men incomprehensible to the Human mind or sentient statues brought to life by an ancient god that wield powerful ice magic or anything. Like in the real world, the differences between races should be primarily cosmetic and/or cultural. A series of events similar to the real-world Enlightenment have taken place, and educated men are a product of that thinking. Science and Knowledge are the guiding principles, not superstition and folk magic. In theory, at least.

That was a shitload of words to say “It’s light-fantasy-inspired notAmerican History”.

If you don’t want to acknowledge the depth and subtlety with which I’ve masterfully crafted this fantasy world, then sure, I guess.

So where’s the wiki full of useless information and naming conventions I need to abide by?

There isn’t one! The bulk of the setting of Kunyuba remains completely unwritten outside of some vague ideas and concepts. The exploration of Kunyuba is both metaphorical and literal! Your only limit is your creativity! Who you are, where you come from, what your culture was like, feel free to explain as much or as little about your character as you like. Very few pieces of the setting are set in stone. Key things to remember are: Kunyuba is “the New World” colonized over the last century-and-a-half or so by notEuropeans, there has definitely been at least one major war on Kunyuba soil, not to mention skirmishes with native Dwarven clans, brigandry, and all the other miscellaneous violence that comes with a brave new frontier. The Western fourth or so (probably more like a fifth or sixth) of the continent is colonized by Old World nations of which I think I've only named two: Austia (basically notEngland) and Indichine (sort of a mix of notChina and notIndia if notChina had expanded toward Europe), and their cultures haven't been extensively defined.

Since I’m (rightfully) not going to pay attention to any of that, what is it you’d like me to do to apply?

Oh yeah, so you’re just going to make a Standard FAE character! That means you need a High Concept, a Trouble, between one and three additional aspects (feel free to chat with me about possible Aspects and whatnot), one stunt, and three refresh. Plus however many points you're supposed to allocate. I dunno, the book's free, look it up your drat self. As mentioned in the flavor introduction up top, you are a new(-ish, we’ll probably start in medias res) member of The Braxton Agency, or just “The Agency” if you prefer. What specifically it is (you think) The Agency does is up to you. Maybe they led you to believe they’d be keeping the people of Kunyuba safe, maybe they promised you gold and fame, maybe you just needed a steady source of income. Describe your personal reasons for joining The Agency. Just because the setting is largely Civil-War-Until-Stated-Otherwise doesn't mean you can't have fun with character concepts! Maybe you're a die-hard abolitionist (which also implies there's something to abolish, expanding the setting! Wee!), a priest of an obscure god, a homesteader looking for a means of their own, or maybe you're just Rigley Down Under ready to blow people away with a long rifle. No judgement. Some judgement.

Remember, most of Kunyumba hasn’t been written/thought up yet! Feel free to get as creative as you want!

Didn’t you promise to DM a game of Metal Gear Nazis after your last debacle?

Hahahahaha, what? That doesn’t sound like me! You’re crazy man, just talkin’ crazy talk.

Once I sat down to do it I realized I didn't actually have any ideas beyond the initial concept :ohdear:

Aaand, I think that’s it! I mean it’s probably not and I’m sure I’ve forgotten stuff but there are definitely words there! I'm worried about filling in too much beforehand and stifling creativity, but if you have any questions about the setting or anything else feel free to post them here, and I should also be over in #Circadia over on SynIRC. If I can get it working at work, that is. I’m dumb and probably can’t. Got it working :smaug:

I’m also live:doomsayerkevin on Skype or Doomsayerkevin -at- gmail for GChat.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Alright, you've got me interested. Expect a character up by the end of this weekend.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
:allears:

I unironically can't wait to be horribly disappointed by your posting schedule once more. I'll have something ready by Sunday or Monday.

e: I guess I should ask if we're just using the default FAE approaches, stunts, 3 refresh, etc. I also feel like magic should exist somewhere, though we as reasonable, civilized folk surely know better than to put stock in such fantasy tales!

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

I unironically can't wait to be horribly disappointed by your posting schedule once more. I'll have something ready by Sunday or Monday.

Well don't worry, I bombed out of grad school and am now a substitute teacher so I'll at least be posting during school hours! :v: (I actually just switched from a History MA to an Education M. Ed. but I'm subbing in the meantime and am free until classes start up again in the fall)

Oh, and I forgot to include a description I gave to PublicOpinion which might help clarify the setting a bit: I envision it as a bell curve centered on the year 1850. The bulk of the setting (particularly aesthetically) comes from that time period, but some of it (that is, varying degrees of less of it) comes from other points on the timeline of American history, up to and including the modern day. Just because it's "1850" doesn't mean you can't be an advocate for, say, Gay Dwarf Rights or whatever. Think the difference between historically-inspired and historical I guess?

Also, I intentionally left the purpose of "The Agency" up to the player's imagination (it will be something more concrete once the actual game starts, ideally an amalgam of everyone's ideas), but if it helps get the juices flowing they were originally going to be a sort of Wild West X-Files, with you being a forgotten branch of the notCIA of a particular colonial state, basically a laughing stock sent on "paranormal" goose chases. Again, this is not necessarily going to be the version of The Agency you'll actually be playing with, but it's an idea.

Edit to answer your edit:

Doomsayer posted:

So… it’s America but with dragons and poo poo?

No, I want to make it clear that Kunyuba is a NO-MAGIC setting (Or...is it?)!

Doomsayer posted:

Since I’m (rightfully) not going to pay attention to any of that, what is it you’d like me to do to apply?

Oh yeah, so you’re just going to make a Standard FAE character! That means you need a High Concept, a Trouble, between one and three additional aspects (feel free to chat with me about possible Aspects and whatnot), one stunt, and three refresh.

:colbert:

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 19, 2016

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maestro Fendrel ven der Haeven

Concept: Illustrious Natural Philosopher Emeritus
The Maestro had settled into something of a routine in the court of the Holy and Lawful Emperor as of the last few years. Appointed as a court philosopher, in truth with his lack of taste for the aristocratic high society he was little more than a highly paid gardener and bird-keeper in the Prismatic Gardens. This suited him just fine: It was the grandest conservatory of life from all across the Known World, and though it was prone to the fads and eccentricities of the imperial house and their amateurish sense of naturalism ("Pixies! Always pixies, nixies and sprites! Pests and vermin! However pleasing their form they are no higher a form of life than baser insects! Pah!"), it was a far cry better than the academic politics of the gymnasia. He had traveled to the black sands of Axum, the roaring tops of Leng, and the burning skies of the Cazzerides in his youth to explore the natural world, was it not time to repose in blissful retirement? But there was always the tittering as the influx over the years of explorers and "adventurers" to this fabled New World caught the eyes of all the court. And again and again the question, "Maestro, have you ever been to Kunyuba?" It was maddening!

He will write a book, such a book that will show this Kunyuba as no more a spectacle than the moors of the Wight, or the plain-steppes of Orokhon. He has to admit, however, that some part of him, the young adventurer he once was, that lights up at one last frontier. It is enough to make his whiskers bristle. Of course, having burned his bridges at the gymnasia, and with an imperial house less than enthusiastic about the whimsy of a mostly set aside novelty like himself, it was necessary for his passage to be paid by other means. Surely, his curriculum vitae sufficed, and his own bluster and eagerness to set sail cut straight through the hard sell and put his name on the line. Now that he is en voyage, it does not even occur to him in between his marginalia and incessant letters, that it is very peculiar to have so many weapons aboard an ostensible merchant venture.

Trouble: I Must Write This Down In My Book
It might be somewhat clear that the Maestro is not the most cognizant of souls regarding his surroundings. Though gifted with intellect, curiosity, and knowledge, he sometimes lacks a common wisdom. Too eager to set out, too confident in his own ability, and too distracted with the ambition of cataloging and rendering the wonder of a new world into carefully studied, mapped, and examined "known territory." The very idea of the Frontier, while exciting, is something of an affront to a man of such intense Reason. Thus, he can be quite clumsy in his walking off the edge of the world, just to prove that indeed there is no edge at all.

Aspect: There Were Dragons Here, Once
He's seen the fire-spitting death-wurm rolling in the wastes of Aghis, clambered with the long-armed itinerant tree-dwellers of Dahenjo-Maro, and gone into the Sunless Sea and proven that yes, indeed, the sun still does rise even on the belly of the world. The old man has lost a bit of a sense of wonder. No matter how strange or bizarre, he is sure that something rattled out of his memory proves that this is something that is well within man's Reason, even if ultimately the allusion is rather wrong-headed. The certainty, and sometimes cleverness of his transitive knowledge, can be quite a tool, and he is at least very unlikely to lose his full head of steam anytime soon.

Approaches
Clever +3
Sneaky +2
Forceful +2
Flashy +1
Quick +1
Careful +0

I'll choose my two other Aspects and Stunt likely during play.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Maestro Fendrel ven der Haeven

It's goddamn beautiful.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Ariel Lupei

High Concept:(Was) The Greatest Agent of Cinpoke Kingdom
It was supposed to be a simple mission, a smash and grab of a fugitive of the crown but nothing is ever that simple. My team and I finally reach our target, Ernest Helton the big-time smuggler of people and goods across the world. A fight broke out as was expected. What would happen next that could never anticipated, my partner Emily Philmont betrayed our entire team setting fire to the gunpowder that Earnest was shipping. The explosion left my entire team wounded. In the eyes of the court, it was a debacle the great Cinpoke Cavaliers were made a fool of. I got in front of the political storm try and lessen the blow for the people under me. For my five years of service I was discharged and stripped of my rank. Honestly the only thing that maybe save me was the favor of Queen Iska. Now I found my way to the New World in search of Emily and Earnest. Not for revenge, not to restore my rank no I only seek to put them in the jail cells they belong.

Trouble: Fullblood Pixie
I'm a pixie our history with the world is quite a complicated one. In one way were are a beloved people, and others we are cursed. The blood of the pixies when it comes in contact with most other races is said to act as a mild hallucinatory drug. Long ago this led my people to becoming migrants throughout the world as an attempt to stymie those would hunt us. Recent advances in science have reawakened a new hunting frenzy. Fortunately, those advances are able only to the richest people in all the world. Another side effect is that medicine, unless specially made doesn't quite work the same way on pixies. I guess the bonus is I can always drink someone under the table.

Favored Consort of The Queen

This is Queen Iskallion Marigold Rasoi, the fifth of her name, I just call her Iska. I've known her since I was a child as our families were always political allies of each other. Growing up she's always been supportive of me in my endeavors to reach the Cavaliers. However our relationship, has always been viewed as an oddity among the court. Not only are my family pixies, they also only recently joined the High Court of Cinpoke. It was there her recommendation that I was able to meet the tutor who trained me for the Cavaliers. In return for this I've always been by her side as many ways as she has needed me. However the publicity of our relationship often times make stealth a bit of an issue. But I would not trade it for anything in the world.

Approaches
Clever +3
Flashy +2
Forceful +2
Sneaky +1
Quick +1
Careful +0

Stunts
Cinpoke Style:+2 to Flashy when sword dueling one-on-one!

Worldbuilding Notes
-Cinpoke is famous for its horse-sized riding wolves
-The Royalty does not marry, instead the Consorts are a harem for the monarch. All children are legitimate heirs within the harem.
-Cinpoke is a Derian Kingdom. The faith of Deri is polytheistic, with many, many gods.
-Cinpoke is a late comer to the colonization game
-The Agency has a tendency to work on almost any job depending on the pay.

JesterOfAmerica fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 23, 2016

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

We talked about it in the IRC channel, but Ariel and Fendrel's backstories combining to hint at the Pixie Diaspora is the best goddamn thing :allears:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

It has often been said of Thomas Crowe that he was simply born too late.

As the Second Son of the Crowe Family, and only half-elf at that, the titles and holdings of the oldest and most prestigious noble family in Austia were forever out of his reach, to be inherited by his elder brother Philip when he came of age. Thomas' very existence was an afterthought originating from the desire of his mother, Lord Crowe's second wife, to bear a son of her own.

The child that arose from this union had no legal claim to any of the fortune the Crowes had earned over four centuries, but he wasn't bitter. In fact, for a long time, Thomas resolved to be happy with his lot in life. In contrast to his more business-minded brother, Thomas studied philosophy and history, and his earnest debates with his father on what he'd learned became the highlight of every week. He adopted the dress and mannerisms that a proper gentleman of his father's era would have, eschewing modern fashion and sensibilities. As a result, he always came off as A Hundred Years Behind the Times. Where his elven high-society contemporaries smiled in public and schemed behind the scenes, Thomas dueled those who tainted the Crowes' honor. His odd behavior made him something of a curiosity, but Reginald Crowe was secretly proud.

Then Philip took notice.

Thomas was at the harbor when he heard the terrible news: Crowe Manor had been burnt to the ground, his father was dead, and Philip's miraculous survival meant the younger Crowe was the prime suspect, already being Hunted By A Jealous Brother. Effectively exiled to a strange land with nothing but the clothes on his back and a cane-sword, Thomas has resolved to begin anew, and create a Kunyaban Crowe family that surpasses the one back in Austia. It will require cunning, strength, and the resolve to do what is necessary. The Braxton Agency seems like as good a place as any to start.

One day they'll say of Thomas Crowe that he was not behind the times, simply ahead of them.

Approaches
Clever +3
Flashy +2; Careful +2
Quick +1, Sneaky +1
Forceful +0

Things That Might Be True?!
-There's totally a secret elven Illuminati that rules the Old World, or at least rules Austia and is working on the rest. The patriarch of the Crowe family has traditionally been one of the four or five people at the top of the Fey Court. Philip represents a sort of radical insurgency in its ranks that plots something no doubt sinister and world-threatening.
-The Braxton Agency was intended for the limited and loosely defined purpose of "ensuring the safety of colonists from those belligerent native peoples other dangers that are native to the Kunyuban frontier". However, it has several loopholes in its charter that could be loosely interpreted to grant the Agency autonomy and legal authority effectively superseding that of local settlements and colonial governors in many situations. Since this discovery, a few short years ago, the Agency has taken steps to consolidate its power, and currently it represents the closest thing to a government in the colonies.
-Half-elf lifespans are somewhat shorter than either elves or humans, but they mature much more quickly. In calendar years Thomas is only twenty-six, but he easily passes for a human of forty, and will probably live another sixty years, provided he isn't ended by a blade or bullet first.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I feel like this is going to be a very brief recruitment thread if all the characters are this good!

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Doomsayer have you seen the Fate World Masters of Umdaar It's got a cool cliffhanger mechanic that works with FAE?

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Oh man that reminds me: if you've seen cool mechanics you might like incorporated, point me to them! That cliffhanger mechanic looks great, for example.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Brother John D’Ark

High Concept: Gunslinging Man of God

When Joseph Plotinus Mackenna had his revelation, and copied the Enneads from the holy plates that the Angel of the One revealed to him, suffice to say the pre-existing churches didn’t much cotton to his ideas. Still, when a godly man has his ideas, and when his divine revelations are in concert with what had been set down by the Divine prophets Plato and Aristotle in the Time Before, and further still help to complete the pact that they had established with the One, how could such a revelation not convert all who hear of it to follow?

Sadly, not all were brought to the light, and the Plotinians were chased from city to city, their doctrines burned, their churches smashed, and true knowledge of their teachings denied to the people, because those in power would rather lie than lose their money and influence.

But, as happens, time moves on, and though the Plotinians are not considered... respectable... there are enough of them that it doesn’t appear that they will simply be going away, especially given their desert stronghold and increasingly vast stockpiles of wealth and mechanical techniques. Though Plotinus has passed on, killed in an incident outside the city of Thebes, his disciple Brigham Eustochius Armstrong led the church to its present stability.

Borrowing from tradition, the church sends young people who are Chosen out to preach its word, interpret its doctrine, and enforce the word of the One on Earth. These new revelations and interpretations are recorded, their deeds of heroism told around the hearth, and, if they return, their wisdom and experience appreciated inside the walls of Alexandria. Some of them wander further than others...

John D’Ark is one such man, a young travelling preacher, sworn to bring the message of the One, the Intelligence, and the Soul to the masses, to lead by example and by deed, and to exemplify all the best traits of his faith.

Trouble: ”Don’t worry, everything will work out...”

LIke many Plotinians, D’Ark has a tendency to put his full faith and trust in the One, even when perhaps he should stick around a little longer to make sure the dispute has really been resolved, or that the building has really been fixed properly, or that the fellow won’t escape from gaol before the sheriff and his deputies arrive... But there’s just so much to get done!

Aspect: The Relics of Plotinus

D’ark carries with him the coat, hatchet, and rifle of JPM himself, for protection. He was charged by Armstrong to bear them across to the New World, where there would still be untouched lands ripe for conversion and possible settlement. Whether the rifle is actually blessed by the One, or was simply very well made, is in the eyes of the beholder. Same with the coat: it could be very difficult to figure out just where the man is inside all those flashes of color and pattern, but on the other hand, how could you miss a coat like that? And he doesn’t seem to sharpen that hatchet much, considering all the work it does making fires and stripping game for dinner...

Approaches:
Flashy: +3
Quick: +2
Forceful: +2
Clever: +1
Careful: +1
Sneaky: +0

Other things that might be true:

--The Dwarves might be the secret tribe that left the old world shortly after the Divine Plato gave his revelation, but before the Divine Aristotle began his works, and are therefore even more in concert with the One than the fallen and corrupt citizens of the mainland. (This is almost certainly not true)
--There is a mountain just north of Dodge Rock, where it is said that one can enter a cave on the western face and walk through the deep center of the Earth, emerging in another cave on the shores of Aleppo, having bypassed the ocean entirely.
--The Braxton Agency is broadly sympathetic to the Plotinian cause, and, if the scouting goes well, their entire operation is a cover for a planned mass exodus to the New World. Or the agency wants the Plotinians gone completely, and this is the most expedient way to remove them from Austia. Either way, Armstrong made a sizable contribution to the Agency, and the church is an influential shareholder.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
Bellwether Childress

High Concept: I've Been Working On The Railroad
How does the fourth child of a successful merchant in Ovidio Plains make a name for himself, when the family's fortunes and attention are already fated for older siblings? In the words of the industrialist Gerome Langerschildt, "Go east, young man!" The ongoing colonization of Kunyuba's further lands has created many a reputation, and several industries that outfit those who brave the frontier. Bellwether works for one such burgeoning industry. He scouts locations for the Iron Trails that carry steam-powered trains over the nation's plains. For nearly a decade Bellwether has charted routes, guarded negotiators and engineers, and dealt with savage natives who are sick of encroachment. It's a rough-and-tumble job. He may never have a home or a fortune but he's proud of the work he does, expanding the nation and bringing civilization to the wastes.
The company that Bellwether used to work for recently shuttered under mysterious circumstances. Thankfully, the Agency stepped in, purchased their assets, and have continued their work of expanding the Iron Trails. They pay better, too.

Trouble: The Family Name
The Childress Mercantile has outfitted many an expedition into the eastern reaches. Unfortunately this does little good out in the reaches. Those who recognize Bellwether's lineage expect him to have money or connections that he doesn't. There have been kidnapping attempts. (Attempts.) And very rarely, someone who wasn't fully satisfied with their purchase decided to make Bellwether pay for it. He doesn't often try to trade on his name out east--it's more trouble than it's worth, and when he does try, people don't seem to believe him. Why would a scion of such a family be out here? That disbelief follows him into the western cities, as well. The Childress family has money, allies, and respect; no one believes that this trail-dusted, cardsharpin', gunsmokin' roughneck could possibly be one of them.

Aspect: I Know These Lands
Bellwether has spent ten years working almost exclusively in the eastern frontier. It's given him great experience with the terrain and peoples of the land--some of them friendly, some of them not. He knows the languages and customs of some of the Dwarven clans, which fruits are edible, and the sound of stampeding salamanders. (They're much bigger here than in Indichine.) All of this comes in handy out east, but in the cities of the west Bellwether is often reminded that he lacks... refinement.

Approaches:
Sneaky +3
Quick +2
Forceful +2
Clever +1
Careful +1
Flashy +0

Stunt: It's An Ambush! gives a +2 to Sneakily creating advantages when attacking from cover.

Legends of the Old East
-Dwarfs aren't the only people beyond the borders of Kunyuba. There are stories of large, hairy humanoids living out in the swamps and forests of the East. They have many names: Skunk ape. Squatch. Boghollows. Bellwether's never seen them, personally, but he's seen enough that he can't outright dismiss them, either.
-Go far enough east, and you'll find ancient temples that are clearly devoted to Derian deities. It's true, I swear it.

More coming but I believe I'll take the other two Aspects during play.

Everything Counts fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 22, 2016

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Dr. Nathan Twist, Astrologer Detective

High Concept: "Astrologer Detective"
The talk of the town is the sudden arrival of Dr. Nathan Twist, Astrologer Detective. With his bizarre outfit, creepy mask, and brass telescope, he's been busting cases and solving mysteries up and down the coast. By taking the arrangement of the stars and the alignment of the planets, adding a bit of mumbo-jumbo, a dash of ritual, and a pinch of alchemy, Dr. Twist brings criminals to justice and rich client's money into his own pockets. Where did he come from? What does he look like under the mask? Isn't astrology fake? The only thing more mysterious than the mysteries Dr. Twist solves is the man himself--the Astrologer Detective.

Trouble: Fraudster
Once there was a civil detective named Buddy Thompson, who took direction poorly and disrespected authority. One firing later the was a private detective named Buddy Thompson who couldn't get clients because he was an abrasive, condescending jerk. One trip to the costume shop later there was DOCTOR NATHAN TWIST, ASTROLOGER DETECTIVE. Armed with his grandma's telescope and a bunch of garbage stolen from pulp novels, Buddy Thompson escaped from his gambling debts, his landlord, the expectations of society, and a handful of grudge-bearing criminals.

Once a Cop, Always a Cop
Despite everything, Dr. Twist cares deeply about seeing justice done and while he may not have much use for rules, he feels very differently about the law.

Approaches:
Clever +3
Flashy +2, Sneaky +2
Forceful +1, Quick +1
Careful +0

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 21, 2016

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
We've done it we have become a Jojo party. :iia:

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Samuel Prescott Jackson

High Concept: Tradesman's Son

A few dozen miles to the east of the newest settlements in Kunyuba, there lies a morass of mountains and swamps. Home of the Confederation of Cascadia, the area stretches over thousands of square miles, and passage through it is, as you would expect, quite difficult. The residents, popularly called 'mountain men', have a system of tunnels, ferries, bridges, and passes, such that they can travel within and across with ease, even with cargo, but it takes many years to become comfortable with these methods. Samuel Jackson's father has made a very good living over the past fifteen years dealing with Cascadians, and obtaining treasures from much further east. Jackson himself, though, has decided that his future lies with Braxton.

Trouble: Nobody To Come Home To

Sam's not exactly lonely, per se, but he does look at his parents, happily married for decades, and envy them. He's hoping to meet the right girl while he's working for Braxton, and presumably meeting lots of people.

Aspect: Didn't Mean To Loom

Sam's a big, brawny guy, and he comes across as pretty intimidating, even when he's trying to be friendly. Sometimes this is handy, like with a customer who doesn't want to pay what he agreed to. Other times people think he's being hostile, or just generally don't respond well.

Aspect: Sensible C-Student

Sam got a good education, but he really struggled. Schooling doesn't come naturally to him. He is, however, pretty good at judging people, and observing situations. Street smarts and common sense, as they say.

Forceful: 3
Careful, Quick: 2
Sneaky, Flashy: 1
Clever: 0

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Alright, well I think that'll do it! If it's alright with you guys we'll call recruiting here since we have a full party, unless there's anyone who's just on the cusp of submitting their character! The game thread should be up tomorrow.

IGNORE ME KEEP POSTING CHARACTERS DO IT DO IT NOW

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 23, 2016

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Doomsayer posted:

Alright, well I think that'll do it! If it's alright with you guys we'll call recruiting here since we have a full party, unless there's anyone who's just on the cusp of submitting their character! The game thread should be up tomorrow.

I told you in IRC I was making a character. :(

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Viscardus posted:

I told you in IRC I was making a character. :(

Yeah I posted that while kind of, uh, inebriated :ohdear: Also I didn't realize how big our roster had grown.

IGNORE ME KEEP SUBMITTING CHARACTERS!

I ended up getting called into work (well, a part of work that doesn't let me as freely browse SA) anyway, so I will post the roster when the game thread is ready!

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Alright, because I'm feeling generous and I assume that statistically most of you are never going to actually post (please post :ohdear:), I would like to welcome all eight applicants to the Braxton Agency! Yes I know there was only seven submissions but Viscardus is bad at posting and submitted his application via IRC.

The game thread is up and it is here! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765857

• Locked thread