Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bliss Authority posted:

Incidentally, the name of the music when you fight the Queen Bee. It slaps.

Most of the music in this game is fantastic but Cocoon stands out.

the structuring of that track is excellent - most of the boss fights that feature it are predictably nasty, both in terms of appearance and battle mechanics, so that spitting chaotic record-scratch breakdown at the start accurately reflects the panic that jimmy/the player experience trying to figure out what the hell it is they're up against, followed by the still-desperate but more melodic synths a minute later when you're clawing your way back from the brink and possibly turning things in your favor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
boy I sure am glad I didn't spoil that for myself because holy hell

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

And now the game begins! :suspense: Next episode's going to be great too, just throwing that out there, and now you no longer know whether I mean great as in hilarious or great as in horrifying or both. Buy the drat game, people.

Let's talk about that Slither area, because it is a masterclass in suspense and cruelty. Picture it: you've just beaten Punch Tanaka and his goons in the Wilted Lands, and you're about to go back to your friends the Buddy Bees to pick up some honey. But you're a curious player, and so you noticed the hole under the motorcycle pile, and you jumped in. And that's weird, it's just a cave with a dead end and a scare chord and some faint, barely audible slithering noises. So you poke around a bit, notice the encounters are a bit tougher than outside, and eventually give up and go back to the entrance... which has now vanished, with another scare chord. (I think that fact didn't actually show up in the video.) You... don't actually have any way out now. You just have to keep pressing on, deeper into the cave, as the way back keeps closing behind you and you get further and further from the surface. Then there's that awful moment where it looks like you're going to be stuck forever in a hole far, far too small for you. And then GIANT loving EYELESS SNAKE OUT OF NOWHERE, and it almost certainly eats you because at this point you're lower-level than GP was, you don't have the stinger, and you were tired from fighting the last two bosses. Oh, and all this happens to you before the hive, so you weren't even prepared for the sudden turn towards horror.

Also, I'm pretty sure the drones in the hive are made out of the same stuff that's coming out of the buddy bees' heads, and the same stuff that makes up the queen bee's true form.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Slither is a pushover with a full party, so I wanted the satisfaction of beating it as soon as possible. I had to burn through my stock of Choco Colas, but it worked. As for the Queen, her pupae will morph through the Beehive enemies, getting stronger the more turns you take, so I'd just ignore them and burn the Queen down ASAP. It's kind of funny when she summons Buddy Bees and they damage her with their cannibalize move, especially since she should be almost dead by that time.

Anyway...

The Wilted Lands Enemies
Rad Ghost has a pretty high agility for this point in the game. It will either inflict the party with Ennui, preventing them from getting experience, groove to become Dodgy and immune to attacks for that round, or just leave. It's also resistant to physical attacks, but weak against holy. It gives pretty decent rewards, but you've got to beat it to the punch somehow. Maybe with some agility-boosting sneakers?
Rad Ghost has done a sick ollie off of at least five of the seven wonders of the world.

Skitterbones will attack for normal damage or bite for 125% damage. Stealing their Weird Bone kills them instantly, and it's also weak against holy.
Skitterbones live in a perpetual state of depression since their only memories revolve around how handsome they used to be.

The Elder Mr. Asp can inflict Sick with his bite. If The Younger Mr. Asp is also on the field, he can berate him and waste both their turns.
The Elder Mr. Asp was quite the looker in his youth. Legend has it, he was voted "Most Handsome Reptile" in high school.

The Younger Mr. Asp can also inflict Sick. You can steal his Dignity to make him Unmotivated, reducing his stats, and also a Snake Hatrack.
The Younger Mr. Asp once lost ten dollars when someone bet him that he couldn't love himself.

Turtle Stack will either attack twice or bite for 125% physical damage. You can steal poor Mack from the bottom of the stack, separating the turtles and making them waste turns flipping back over.
Mortimer pays Mack seventeen cents a day to let him climb on his back in order to become a Turtle Stack. Mortimer just likes to look tall, and Mack, well, let's face it, Mack needs the money.

Grabbing Hand will Grasp a party member, leaving them unable to act for a few turns, but will release them if Startled. It can't actually deal damage by itself. Only found in Slither's Burrow.
Grabbing Hands grab all they can. Why? Who knows? The only thing I know for sure is that they're doing it all for themselves after all.

Beehive Enemies
Everything in here is weak against holy.
The corrupted Buddy Bee sometimes wastes turns moaning, but can also cannibalize its fellow enemies, draining health from them and making itself Motivated.
A zombified Buddy Bee has forgotten everything it knows about friendship. It is twisted and hollow inside.

Drone can make you Sick by spitting gross stuff on you.
Buddy Bee Drones are controlled by pheromones secreted by the Queen. While they normally hunt for pollen, now that they've been tainted, they hunt the caverns of the Buddy Bee hive, seeking human flesh.

Worker Bee can Startle you by stinging, or waste turns making a clicking sound.
Worker Bees are inhabited by something horrid...

Royal Guard can Startle you with a sting, or go into a combat stance, dealing 250% physical damage the next turn. The first one you fight will be Asleep, making it vulnerable to the attack that wakes it up, and the second will be Frazzled, giving it a chance to attack itself instead of you.
Royal Guards protect the Queen no matter what. When the taint spread through them, it just magnified their already impressive strength.

Bosses

DeeDee has a basic attack and can sweep your leg to Startle you. Big Enormous has a basic attack, can Motivate his party with his boombox, and can Grasp party members in a bear hug, making them unable to act for two turns. Startling him will end the Grasp early. Johnny Knives can attack one party member, attack all party members at once, or cackle to signal that he'll attack three times next turn. Stealing his knives turns him into Johnny No-Knives, who will either attack or do nothing every turn.

Punch Tanaka has a basic attack. If he looks in the mirror, he will counter physical attacks next turn. If he glares at you, he'll deal 300% physical damage with a magnificent combo next turn. At less than 50% health, he can bully you for 150% physical damage. At less than 20% health, he'll run away, giving no experience or money. Defeating him without him running will get you three Marvelous Coins.

Slither can attack for 125% physical damage, bite to inflict normal damage and Sick, or Grasp you for three turns, dealing normal physical damage each turn. Startling will break the Grasp early. When it watches you, it will either counter physical attacks or inflict 250% damage to all party members next turn.

Queen Bee has a basic attack, a stinging attack that can Startle you, and the ability to inflict Sick by spitting at you. She is accompanied by two Pupa adds, which are invincible until they morph into something else. On the first turn, they will transform into Drones, and on the fourth, she will summon two more Pupae, killing any Drones still alive to make room. This process repeats every five turns, first with Drones, then Worker Bees, then Buddy Bees, and finally with Royal Guards.

FURNITURE UPDATE
Floral Set (???)
-Rose Table (+3 ATK): Perfect for a dinner of soil, water and sunshine. Found in the Beehive.
-Happy Little End Table (+3 MAT): Won't stop laughing. Found in Giant Garden.
-???
-???
-???
-???

Other
-Slab of Beef (+4 ATK): Unsanitary! Found in Slither's Burrow.

Would you like me to repeat that?

Solitair fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 16, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Future episodes are gonna have the music cranked up a bit. It's actually pretty good.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
I can't say I'm happy it turned out this way but at least I can stop worrying about the terrible thing, because it's already happened.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I assumed we were in for something similar from the Steam Page talking about 'an alien presence' in Jimmy's dreams and, you know, the titular Pulsating Mass text looking very organic and body horrory.

Now to see where they go from here and what it means.

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

You know, I think Jimmy is having a hard time coping with something.

I’m going to have to rewatch the LP up to this point because I mostly had it going on in the background and this one was the one I focused on.

I knew body horror was going to happen from the title but did not imagine sapient gooped bees who now hate you.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There's a specific game that Jimmy reminds me of. A game about wandering through a dreamworld, collecting transformations in it, and the more hidden the dreamworlds the darker they got. That was [url=https://www.pcgamer.com/the-horrifying-legacy-of-yume-nikki-the-homebrew-game-that-became-a-phenomenon/
]Yume Nikki[/url].

Jimmy's far from the first game to be inspired by Yume Nikki. However, there's a lot of contrasts I find interesting. Mainly a lot of Yume Nikki inspirations seem to just be lifting the asthetic or vibe, or maybe even just madlibbing Yume Nikki's entire set up. There's a bit more to the contrasts of the two games than "Jimmy is an actual rpg and not a walking sim".

The thing I like about Yume Nikki is that it has no dialog, no "correct answer" for what the lore is, and yet there's a pervasive feeling that causes the player to fill in their own answers. And it's all pretty dark no matter how good a mood you have coming in. The inciting question is "Why won't Madotsuki leave her room?" and that's not going to have a good answer, and the dreamworlds contribute to this feeling - there's places that are childike and whimsical and colorful but they still have that desperately lonely undercurrent. The characters in the dreamworld either ignore Madotsuki or are actively hostile or even frightened. The transformations are unexplained but some of them make you wonder if they're the character's negative self images or how she wishes she'd be or something.

So Jimmy's a similar set up. Jimmmy is having a dream and he collects transformations. But Jimmy is not anti-social at all. Given how vividly he imagines his family, he seems pretty smart, stable, and imaginative. His dream has an adventure story, the characters in his story even do things, one of his dreamland characters is Punch Tanaka who is the most un-Yume Nikki thing you could ever find in a dream. And the Transformations are very clearly explained.
Most aspects of Jimmy so far are in the opposite of Yume Nikki in terms of clarity, sincerity, and normalcy.
Yet... we've just seen some of the hidden darkness, and even not so hidden darknesss, of the game. What's all that doing in Jimmy's dream? What's bothering him? And for all the game actually tells you, what is this unexpressed pervading vibe the game is giving off?

I'll say more later. This is the first time I could actually say something. I just think that it's interesting that I ended up liking Jimmy as a story as much as I did when almost everything is doing the exact opposite of what I liked about Yume Nikki.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

GrandmaParty posted:

Future episodes are gonna have the music cranked up a bit. It's actually pretty good.

I haven't found any way to adjust the music in-game, actually. How'd you do it?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Solitair posted:

I haven't found any way to adjust the music in-game, actually. How'd you do it?

I just mess with it in audacity in post, honestly

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Welp. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bliss Authority posted:

Incidentally, the name of the music when you fight the Queen Bee. It slaps.

Most of the music in this game is fantastic but Cocoon stands out.
It's one of the best RPG boss music pieces ever. It really captures the creepy atmosphere of parts of the game.

Deadmans Tea Party
Jan 9, 2019
What I think this section does well is the shift in atmosphere. I almost felt my stomach drop upon entering the hive.

The scenery itself is horrific in a way, and aside from random encounters (which did not detract as much as I have seen from atmosphere in other games) it is just you and Buck walking through the aftermath. No way to save them, just absorbing the horror.

I will admit, I did not expect such a jarring shift in such a short time. Which made it all the more effective.

As a query on the challenges Grandma, we do not have Golden Corral down here. Would you accept punishing myself with food in another way?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Deadmans Tea Party posted:

As a query on the challenges Grandma, we do not have Golden Corral down here. Would you accept punishing myself with food in another way?

...whatcha thinking?

New episode up later tonight.

Preview:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Been waiting for the other shoe to drop since like halfway through the first episode and it did not disappoint. I was kind of hoping that the game was going go the joke route of having endlessly nested quest conditions (To get the honey, you need to get rid of the gang, who will leave if you do X, which you can't do until Y and so on) but this is way better IMO

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I really appreciate how creepy the battle background is in the corrupted fights. You got primed with a couple of hours of the cute sun/moon thing, then here is a skull that turns into a pair of conjoined foetuses in a fleshy brown colour.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 6 is up!

Special Guest: Lobstercop, who is making his LP debut with a VERY good boy.

We go back to a bit of the more whimsical Jimmy but there's definitely an undercurrent of sadness coming from GAMM-E.

I still don't loving have my cake.

Cutscene Commentary On

No Commentary

Scabs is in this one a little. Walker is in this one a lot. That dad joke is a little "OOF" though but I decided to keep it in because it's a baddadjoke.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What a good boy.

Deadmans Tea Party
Jan 9, 2019
drat, do you get any hints about dealing with the alarms because I can see this being a wall for people who aren’t expecting it. Or did I miss something?

Either way, that episode made me want to just check in on my grandmother.

For the challenge, I know a place where I can get a kilo of schnitzel, ham and cheese (2.2 pounds) which comes with four sides (gonna be all fries).

I actually had to search around to find something roughly like anything found in America, seeing as KFC Double Downs are limited time only deals.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Your dog is a good boy, the dog in the game is a very, very bad boy. In conclusion dogs are a land of contrasts.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Night Vale's Who's A Good Boy story comes to mind.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

drat, do you get any hints about dealing with the alarms because I can see this being a wall for people who aren’t expecting it. Or did I miss something?

Either way, that episode made me want to just check in on my grandmother.

For the challenge, I know a place where I can get a kilo of schnitzel, ham and cheese (2.2 pounds) which comes with four sides (gonna be all fries).

Honestly, it's another one of those tests of forms. The goon has an instant escape move for one more, which wasn't too bad. So you've got two options for dealing with them. Running away is for cowards, however.

God that's a ton of food. What country are you in?

Deadmans Tea Party
Jan 9, 2019
Australia.

I don’t know if I am just failing my research but I cannot really find an equivalent to Arby’s meat mountain or Golden Corral. We have Sizzler, which is kind of like Golden Corral I think, but the last franchise is clinging to life 3 hours away. .

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Australia.

I don’t know if I am just failing my research but I cannot really find an equivalent to Arby’s meat mountain or Golden Corral. We have Sizzler, which is kind of like Golden Corral I think, but the last franchise is clinging to life 3 hours away. .

Pea soup floater and I'll count it.

Deadmans Tea Party
Jan 9, 2019
Oh, man. I forgot these things even exist. It kind of just lurked outside of my cultural consciousness waiting for someone to open the door and let it in, like some kind of Piethulhu.

Alright, let me see if I can find South Australia’s cruel joke on the rest of the country for sale or an acceptable recipe.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Deathbot 5000 looks exactly like what an 8 year old might imagine one to look like: packing lots and lots of weapons. Bonesaws, injectable and very lethal poison, flamethrower, etc.

Also, never thought I'd say this, but gently caress that dog.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Why do I have the assumption that the dog isn't what it seems? Unless jimmy is just afraid of dogs, in which case maybe this makes more sense.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the simplistic dialogue makes a lot of the baddies' threats come off as even more menacing

"i am hungrier than you" is the kind of boast that runs a chill up your spine

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

"i am hungrier than you" is the kind of boast that runs a chill up your spine
Hey, for all you know, that's just a sports cliche.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tombot posted:

Why do I have the assumption that the dog isn't what it seems? Unless jimmy is just afraid of dogs, in which case maybe this makes more sense.

The game started with a doghouse turning up at Jimmy's house.

So it might still be a dog.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Tenebrais posted:

The game started with a doghouse turning up at Jimmy's house.

So it might still be a dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aap2uJvn4Uc&t=12m47s

That doesn't look like a dog tail to me.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
lars' reaction to being alien abducted is such a mood

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Whatever plans you have for leveling your forms will have to wait, because you ought to be in goon form at all times here.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thoughts on both dogs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccgkxP-4tVE

That is all!

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

This is the verified Good Boy, Walker.

e: Thanks again for having me on your nice program, Grandma.

Video Nasty fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 23, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Video Nasty posted:

This is the verified Good Boy, Walker.

e: Thanks again for having me on your nice program, Grandma.

I thought you did great :D

And such a good boy!

Thank you for helping out, I had a blast.

Edit:

I'm really gonna go have to cover things in peanut butter and raisins for fun now.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 23, 2019

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I like the fact that GAMM-E implies she got the candied almonds from Punch Tanaka, I missed that on my first playthrough.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

god dammit I don't have the time to play this game but I bought the game anyway because it's about this point in the game where I'm getting the same vibes as meeting papyrus in Undertale where I know for a drat fact this game is as polished and loved as my grandmother's cutlery set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

thecluckmeme posted:

god dammit I don't have the time to play this game but I bought the game anyway because it's about this point in the game where I'm getting the same vibes as meeting papyrus in Undertale where I know for a drat fact this game is as polished and loved as my grandmother's cutlery set.

:same: I've been trying to carve out time on the weekends for it, it's worth it.

I see Timothy Mouse has beaten us to slightly phallic woodwind instrument people land. I thought his clothes looked more ragged than when we last saw him, but no, he's always been wearing some sort of one-strapped overalls or something.