Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Man, GP, you had lame Hanukkahs. My parents always gave me something worthwhile on each of the eight days growing up. Today I get a nice check from them to start the first night. Still, I can't help but think that my experience is a rare one, and I don't really care about the holiday as an adult regardless.

thecluckmeme posted:

god dammit I don't have the time to play this game but I bought the game anyway because it's about this point in the game where I'm getting the same vibes as meeting papyrus in Undertale where I know for a drat fact this game is as polished and loved as my grandmother's cutlery set.
It was 15 minutes of watching this area and part of the next area on a Twitch stream that convinced me to buy Jimmy and play it for myself. It helped that at the time, I had no other video game commitments and was a month away from buying a Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Been playing this and am-- I'm not sure how far I am, but it seems like 'decently far,' at this point. It's pretty much everything I'd want out of an EB-like, and really nails the feel of it while bringing its own unique take to things, HOWEVER--

Maybe it's just me, but IDK that 'endless grinding with another layer of grinding' is really what I wanted to experience again. EB and Mother3 can be sped up via the emulator, which makes replays more tolerable, but sweet jesus, I eventually switched on Easy mode because of how many hours I'd put into just beating up on the same enemies.

Good to see the LP, though! You already found poo poo I completely missed in my own playthrough, so I'm glad it gives you the ability to go back to previous areas without getting permanently locked out.

Like, I somehow missed the hole underneath all the motorbikes. Turned Slither into a one-round fight, as a result.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Easy mode is not a weakness, easy mode is "I no longer have time for grinding".

Honestly, it could just be named Parent mode.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, just a heads up, I am grinding off-screen. I'm a little bulked up for where we are.

I also grinded a bit before the next episode.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

SystemLogoff posted:

Easy mode is not a weakness, easy mode is "I no longer have time for grinding".

Honestly, it could just be named Parent mode.

Yeah. 'Normal' is 'finish listening to an audiobook' mode. Which was helpful, at first, as there was, in fact, an audiobook I wanted to finish listening to.

I get there's maybe some nostalgia for that kind of thing, but 'grind levels + grind all these forms' really takes it to 11.

GrandmaParty posted:

Yeah, just a heads up, I am grinding off-screen. I'm a little bulked up for where we are.

I also grinded a bit before the next episode.

I stupidly fell behind on this for one section and very nearly regretted it. Wouldn't have minded playing the area again 'cause it was awesome, but I'd forgotten to go to the bank, and spent most of it being pre-emptively pissed off at myself over how much cash I was about to lose.

Failure to grind in this game yields punishing results.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 25, 2019

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

This lp made me buy the game, and I’m probably near the end and gently caress man, this game is good.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm trying the best I can not to be over-leveled for bosses, so I haven't turned on Easy Mode yet.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, I found I didn't need to grind either, but then I was also exploring all the side areas and stealing all the furniture.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 7 is up!

Special Guest: Katherine. And her furry bagpigpes. I love her commentary but it's so hard to clean up audio because I don't have a separate track for her.

There's a whole lot of the cat, though.

Spoiler: I get a loving cake this episode. It rules.

Cutscene Commentary On

No Commentary

The next videos will have some more optional content, which is good, because I feel bad going 5 days without an update.

In other news, I tried to play a game of Pummel Party where the loser had to go to Golden Corral, but we set a special forfeit where if JetpackJeezus won, all three losers had to go to Cici's. We said it as a joke. Jetpack won. It's on the Twitch because they didn't wanna come to my Discord for recording. :colbert:

gently caress.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 30, 2019

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Is there going to be a video of you eating Cici’s pizza?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mill Village posted:

Is there going to be a video of you eating Cici’s pizza?

Yes, especially if I can get Katherine to come with me.

Keep in mind that's where we spent Valentine's day.

Edit:

VVVVVV

Holy poo poo. I had no idea.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 27, 2019

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Bee Sting Cake is a real thing by the way. It's made of sweet dough filled with buttercream and frosted with caramelized almonds.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

NewMars posted:

Bee Sting Cake is a real thing by the way. It's made of sweet dough filled with buttercream and frosted with caramelized almonds.

I can taste the diabetes already

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Dr.Smasher posted:

It's the same feeling I got upon learning about Elvis Cake.

JetpackJeezus
Jul 27, 2011

Heaven Can Wait

GrandmaParty posted:

In other news, I tried to play a game of Pummel Party where the loser had to go to Golden Corral, but we set a special forfeit where if JetpackJeezus won, all three losers had to go to Cici's. We said it as a joke. Jetpack won.

gently caress.

:mmmsmug:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bird form at this point is fairly useless because you have the Bee Stinger to distract people. Later on, it becomes useful- distracting bosses with the squawk is very useful, and you can ensure getting one off with Hyperactivity.

By the way, the song that the Tootsoldier plays for Legato in the last episode is the same one you hear at the very beginning of the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's hard to tell in the commentary lp, but the music completely cuts out when jonathan enters the room

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 27, 2019

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I've fallen way behind on my own playthrough of Jimmy thanks to relatives visiting the last week or so but I'm looking forward to catching up today.

GrandmaParty posted:

In other news, I tried to play a game of Pummel Party where the loser had to go to Golden Corral, but we set a special forfeit where if JetpackJeezus won, all three losers had to go to Cici's. We said it as a joke. Jetpack won. It's on the Twitch because they didn't wanna come to my Discord for recording. :colbert:

gently caress.

Cici's pizza is simultaneously hypertrash and satisfying and it's not clear why. It's too cheap to be crushed-up drugs in the sauce or something.

It's probably for the best that the nearest one to me now is a two or three hour drive away. Pretty much all the garbage food places that have come up in the thread don't have franchises in my area, even the nearest Arby's is like 45 minutes away.

Dr.Smasher posted:

One time in college a couple of my housemates made a cheesecake that involved crushing up like two pounds of those Starlight Peppermints and putting it into the cheese mixture, in addition to the normal sugar that goes into the cheese mix. Just being in the same room as it caused mild hyperglycemia.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The boss fights over the last couple of episodes are interesting, because if you're not horrifyingly overlevelled like GP then they all reward different approaches. The queen bee creates new adds from pupae every five rounds. Each set lasts for three rounds and then dies, and they get progressively more powerful. The first set are just drones, who make you sick but are otherwise useless. Then you get worker bees, who startle you and disrupt your healing. Then you get corrupted buddy bees, who aren't super-threatening but are big beefy sacks of hit points. Then you get royal guards, who will flat-out murder you when combined with the queen. So as the fight goes on, you have to decide which adds you want to kill and which you're willing to suffer through.

The bird fight is fairly standard fight and serves two purposes. First, it reinforces how incredibly annoying startling can be - and, conversely, how incredibly useful it can be in your hands after the fight. Second, it introduces the idea of a boss "going berserk" when it hits a certain health threshold, in this case turning Hyper when it hits half health. At this point its damage output increases significantly - you can see it was dealing 80+ per turn sometimes. This happens relatively often over the course of the game, and it's a very good reason to start unfamiliar fights cautiously rather than spending all your MP in the first few rounds.

The Windsor fight is an example of a fight that becomes much easier if you taunt properly. All the attacks are physical, so Jimmy's high-defense blob form is good at taking them - especially with Solidify. So he can just sit there guarding and throwing out an occasional healing item or toxic sludge. Meanwhile, Buck is going hog wild on the Tootsoldiers until one goes down, after which the fight is easy. Also, he's a bassoon not an oboe he even says so himself :rant:

The bird form itself is pretty drat good, especially given that you can switch forms at will mid-fight (which I don't think GP has shown yet). The stats are heavily biased towards agility, so you'll end up going first most of the time. Hyperactivity costs 5MP and doubles your agility and MP costs for the turn. It's what you use when oh gently caress, everyone is dead, I need to fix this now. And it unlocks for other forms at level 5, which is crazy low. Natural alarm costs 10MP and wakes up all party members, which is either useless or lifesaving depending on the fight. Elaborate dance costs 8MP and lets you dodge all attacks for the turn like a rad ghost. So... you can start off in blob form, taunt, switch to bird form and start dancing every turn, then switch back to blob form when the taunt runs out. It costs a lot of MP for this point in the game, but it's very powerful. And Annoying Squawk costs no MP at all(!!) and startles a target, including bosses. That's incredibly powerful, especially combined with Hyperactivity - you can go first, stop the enemy from acting, and then the rest of your party gets to either unload or heal up or both. Some bosses also have extra-powerful attacks that take a turn to wind up, so with careful squawking you can stop them from going off at all. The passives are Early Riser, which gives immunity to sleep from level 15, and Flighty, which gives +50% agility from level 25 - both solid if somewhat situational. And the field action is running fast, which is great from a quality of life standpoint. Overall it's a really nice form.

Oh, and you can shake those trees with red or blue fruits for an HP or MP restore, respectively.

Next time, we'll get to see what Helga and Jonathon Bear are like as party members! We can always count on our old pal. :3:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

pumpinglemma posted:

The boss fights over the last couple of episodes are interesting, because if you're not horrifyingly overlevelled like GP then they all reward different approaches.

:colbert:

Nah, just playing. I know I'm overlevelled. Honestly, I don't want the boss fights to take too long just for a quality of life sort of standpoint.

Future episodes actually see me switching Jimmy to more of a tank and solidifying since we have 3 other damage dealers filling that role.

Edit

I am not responsible for guest commentators' failure to identify instruments.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 27, 2019

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

By now we're starting to see different battle music for different areas of the game, as well as a different boss theme for fights that aren't against nightmarish things that should not be. Also, we now have a full party, so let's talk about what they can do. on second thought let's wait up on that until GP can show it off in a video whoops

Legato Castle Enemies
Tootsoldier can guard, attack all party members for 75% damage, hit for 150%, or bash you with their shield, inflicting Unguarded, which halves your DEF and MDF.
It takes one year of military training and an advanced degree in music theory to become a Tootsoldier.

Whistling Kettle can release steam to Startle the entire party. You can steal tea from it, which heals 10% of the party's MP and makes it unable to release steam anymore.
The angrier a Whistling Kettle gets, the more steam it releases. Ancient Legato used to place Whistling Kettles in a closed room and insult them to create makeshift steam rooms.

Teamouse will run away once its HP gets below 50%. You can steal its tea to heal 10% of the party's MP and kill it instantly.
Teamice contain different flavors of tea depending on where they're from. The Teamice in Legato Castle contain Earl Grey, but in the countryside they have a nice, warm chai.

Bosses
Super Deathbot 4000 can use a basic attack, waste a turn by emitting sparks, and emit electricity to attack everything magically, including itself. It can also rampage to deal 150% physical damage twice, but will skip the turn afterwards. You can steal exposed wires from it to make it Frazzled.

Red-Billed Squawker has a basic attack, can yammer to deal 25% physical damage and Startle the whole party without triggering a counter, and can rampage to hit for 150% physical damage twice at the cost of skipping its next turn. At 50% health, it will make itself Hyper, doubling its agility and eliminating the turn penalty for its rampage.

Roland has a normal attack and a rampage attack that deals 150% physical damage twice and makes him skip his next turn. If he tenses his muscles, he will hit for 250% physical damage next turn. Or you can just steal his thread to turn him into a normal Tootsoldier.

LeGrange has a normal attack, a triple attack that leaves him winded next turn, a 75% physical damage lunge that always goes first, and a 50% physical damage feint that can Startle you. Or you can just steal his thread to turn him into a normal Tootsoldier.

Claire has a normal attack and a variety of status-inflicting attacks, each of which deals 50% damage and can either inflict Sick, Startled, Unguarded or Unmotivated. Or you can just steal her thread to turn her into a normal Tootsoldier.

Coltrane has a normal attack. If he tenses his muscles, he'll slash for 300% physical damage next turn. If he tenses twice in a row, he'll slash for 600% physical damage instead. Or you can just steal his thread to turn him into a normal Tootsoldier.

Windsor is joined in battle by two Lvl 2 Tootsoldiers, which have higher stats than the regular kind. He commands them in battle by switching them between offensive and defensive stances, changing how likely they are to guard or use their stronger attacks. He can also order them to attack twice in the same turn. Once they're gone, he'll say "Think an old bassoon like me can't hold his own in a scrap? Think again!" and attack from then on.

FURNITURE UPDATE
Kiddy Set (???)
-Alphablocks (+1 AGI): Makes spelling fun! Buy from Ms. Robin in Legato.
-Stuffed Hippo (+1 MAT): Extra big for cuddling. Buy from Ms. Robin in Legato.
-???
-???

Musical Set (???)
-Treble Clef (+3 AGI): A huge clef for a huge score. Found in Legato Castle.
-???
-???
-???
-???
-???

Would you like me to repeat that?

Solitair fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 16, 2019

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Solitair posted:

Roland has a normal attack and a rampage attack that deals 150% physical damage twice and makes him skip his next turn. If he tenses his muscles, he will hit for 250% physical damage next turn. Or you can just steal his thread to turn him into a normal Tootsoldier.
Roland's totally a drum, isn't he. I mean, he's a Tootsoldier masquerading as a drum. Drumroland.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Hirayuki posted:

Roland's totally a drum, isn't he. I mean, he's a Tootsoldier masquerading as a drum. Drumroland.

i mean if grandma party finds puns so irritating he picked the wrong game to play

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Hirayuki posted:

Oh my god, the drum's name being Roland makes me SO HAPPY.

http://rolandblog.ca/roland-drum-machine-history-1964-2016/

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Kasey dev diary:

quote:

Let’s Get to Know You, Red-Billed Squawker!
Housekeeping03/30/2016 11:29 PM 1755 views

Where did it come from? Where is it going? Why is it so loud?

These are some of the questions you’ll ask yourself when stumbling across the elusive Red-Billed Squawker. They were thought to have been hunted to extinction long ago–not because of their meat, though (to be frank, they taste a bit like old vinyl). No, the Red-Billed Squawker was hunted because it’s so drat annoying. Seriously, they won’t shut up. They squawk when you’re awake, they squawk when you’re asleep. They didn’t get their name from NOT squawking, that’s for sure.

So, why on earth would you WANT to transform into nature’s cruelest joke? Well, the Red-Billed Squawker’s mighty squawk can startle any enemy (as long as they’re not alert), and their high natural agility let’s them get in hits first. They even have the ability to double their agility for the current turn by raising the MP cost of their skills in case you need to get a hit off or interrupt a particularly nasty attack. A high-level Red-Billed Squawker gains a natural protection from sleep because, let’s face it, when you’ve got pipes that loud, you’re going to want to play them at all hours of the night.

On the field, the Red-Billed Squawker can make a quick dash forward, allowing him to jump over short gaps and travel through straight passages faster than normal walking. His brakes aren’t fully functional, though, so if you run into something, you might end up hitting it HARD–but that might be useful, too…

It's a bird! It's pretty useful actually for when you absolutely, 100% have to go first.

It uh..kinda trivializes a boss whom I thought was going to wreck me in a few episodes.

Tomorrow I'll update with Cici's because Katherine actually likes it. Me, not so much.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 28, 2019

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

That is a wonderful dev diary.

I bought the game Monday because I got emotionally invested in GAMM-E. I wished I played this game instead of the Sims all weekend.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 8 is up!

Special Guest: Get that OUT of my Face! He's a sweet man and we talk about passover and gefilte fish.

Scabs wanders around screaming in the background.

Stick around past the first ending, I explore the other paths and demonstrate a secret fuzzy mom cave.

Commentary On

No Commentary

Big Norm is still cool. Punch Tanaka is still the best. And they're both in this one.

Helga WAS cool. Then she stopped me from stealing. No longer cool.

Trying to line up special guests for the next couple episodes as well.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 30, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Lmao you stole that goon's work ethic and they fell asleep, extremely relatable.

Also that memory cave was really sad :smith:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This game really should be studied by people who want to write characters. Kasey manages to impart depth in just a couple of sentences.

Big norm is conscious of who he is. Deedee is insecure. And Johnny is going through some poo poo and identity crises. I love them.

I'm torn on the fuzzy mom cave. It's sad..but it's wistful. And her body language is great.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oh God don't listen to me I'm hideous

The way this game does characterization is fabulous, and the Helga cave is a good example of it. Notice that the further you get into the memory cave, the fainter the memories become and the wavier Helga gets.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 30, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

get that OUT of my face posted:

Oh God don't listen to me I'm hideous

The way this game does characterization is fabulous, and the Helga cave is a good example of it. Notice that the further you get into the memory cave, the fainter the memories become and the wavier Helga gets.

You like fasch-bash eggs
I want my egg poem, man
Also basset hounds

Now pay up.

(You sounded fine!)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
huh, i actually missed that memory cave

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
The memory cave is a really neat thing. There are places in Jimmy's mind devoted to his family members where he keeps fading memories of them. They're not required and are usually well hidden, they kinda feel like secret places you're not supposed to see.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
I love how Helga's special ability is just an extension of how an eight-year-old would view their mom. Moms always have to be tough for their kids, no matter how sick they may actually be.
...i should call mine

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
"Call your Mom. Let's Play Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I texted my mom today, does that count?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I get to see my mom and dad tomorrow for the first time since Xmas :unsmith:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I see both of my parents every weekend for dinner. And I'm seeing them tonight as well, they're back from visiting the West Coast to see my sister.

Breadmaster posted:

I love how Helga's special ability is just an extension of how an eight-year-old would view their mom. Moms always have to be tough for their kids, no matter how sick they may actually be.
...i should call mine
Hence why her special abilities are gathered under "Mothering." It's a cute touch. You can also find Jimmy's descriptions of his party members in the stats section. For Helga, the description is, "Helga is my mom's name. She is pretty and has a nice singing voice."

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
One of the admins on the JatPM Discord posted this on twitter. And it loving rules.

His name is KAD and his url is https://twitter.com/johnny_knives

Happy Pride month, nerds.

Which leads me to this:

quote:

For every piece of Jimmy fan art you make this month I'll donate $5 to the Resource Center of Dallas, up to $250.00.

Resource Center is the primary lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer/questioning (LGBTQ) and HIV/AIDS service organizations in North Texas. The Center offers many LGBTQ services to the community and operates one of the largest LGBTQ Community Centers in the United States. The Community Center is home to a variety of community organizations and serves over 60,000 people each year through its programs and services.

Through its health and medical services, the Center is a leader in HIV/AIDS education, prevention, and services, always putting itself at the forefront in the battle against this epidemic. In addition, the Center provides a full continuum of STD prevention education, screenings and treatments.

A staff of more than 50 part and full-time staff members are supported by over 1,100 volunteers. The Center’s three additional locations are the Nelson-Tebedo Clinic, Health Campus and United Black Ellument (UBE). The Center is governed by a board of directors and operates through funds from individual donors, special events, private foundations, corporations and government grants. The Center is open 354 days a year.

The interpretation of art is loose. Real loose. Your mom loose. This includes putting raisins and peanut butter on things and saying "Ants on a _________________." No logs. Derivative.

And conquering the Arby's Meat Mountain. That's an art.

Now I gotta go cover things in peanut butter and raisins.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I would have made so much fan art of Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass already if I had an ounce of artistic skill. One of the other Twitch streamers I follow also played it and put some cool art of an upcoming boss on the side of his second stream.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 31, 2019