Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
the horny gun posters are here too shoot the tiny lil grease ball virus into smithereens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

not an endorsement posted:

if the filter portion were placed differently i think this looks v cool tbh

Yeah, it should go in the front, and also be shaped like a crow's beak.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

D1E posted:

SERIOUS QUESTION:

Would Killary be a better candidate than Bidet at this point?

the funniest possible election ever would be hillary taking the nomination back at the convention and then losing again

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

I'M JK I LOVE EVERYONE!

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Spoondick posted:

nobody fucks with a person wearing a balaclava

Neck gaiter or face UV guard, covers less area so it's cooler in the summer. They weird people out in a different way

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

wearing a mopp suit 24/7 cuz I love the smell of my balls

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Goon Boots posted:

lol, besides the miraculous decrease, why is the uncertainty so high? Peak usage could be between 100k and 350k beds? But after that, we know for sure it's going down and will end by July. lol.

bc testing has been so poo poo in the large outbreaks (bc this is an easily controllable virus in any semi competent country and so the large outbreaks are also the places that cant test) we have no idea how many people are infected or even really how the disease works

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

what are you going to do with like 8 bullets total?

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 31, 2020

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

upgunned shitpost posted:

wearing a mopp suit 24/7 cuz I love the smell of my balls

lol at mopp gear/gas masks being so loving unbearable that no one is even considering wearing poo poo like this

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

only needing 26,000 ventilators at peak sounds...wildly optimistic

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

dew worm posted:

where are y’all getting masks from?

sewing some up with hepa vacuum bag sandwiched between cotton

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Day 9

“We’re going to need to start making decisions on who gets care, and no one is stepping up. No one wants to cross that line."

“I don’t want to go this way.”

The Story of You

You're a reasonably healthy guy in your mid 50s.

Sure, you had a health scare when you were in your mid 30s, a pretty big scare come to think of it. You had some chest pain whenever you worked too hard and went to a heart doctor and after a bunch of tests wound up getting some kind of mesh tube in your heart. Or something. Doesn't matter. You see your heart doctor every year and he tells you you're fine. Maybe lose a couple pounds. Here's a pill you should take for your blood pressure. Maybe you know the name of it, maybe you don't. But you still see your heart doctor, even two decades later, because you want to be healthy.

Your other doctor worries about your sugars. He tells you to take a different pill. Metformin. You know that one's name. Your other doctor also tells you to lose some weight. And he says he doesn't like how high this blood test number is. But you feel fine. It doesn't hurt like the chest pain you had.

Maybe you work at a gas station. Maybe you're a public notary, doesn't matter. You're definitely blue collar. Hair's thinning and mostly grey, you keep it buzzed pretty close to the scalp. You haven't shaven for the past week or so it seems, because you got sick.

You come down with the flu. Fevers that leave you sweating and chills that put you under the extra blankets you keep on the top shelf of your closet. You don't take a temperature though. You just feel awful. And the cough keeps you up at night. You're not coughing up any goo though, so that's good. Right?

You put up with it for a week. The fevers aren't going away. What's more worrying is that it's getting harder to breathe. Not the kind of hard to breathe when you had your heart issue, no, this is taking the wind from you when you walk the length of your room to go take a wiz. So you overcome your stubbornness and go to an Urgent Care.

This new doctor says he doesn't like the sound of your lungs and orders a chest Xray. Your new doctor says you have pneumonia and gives you two more pills to take. Antibiotics. They'll help you start breathing better again.

But you don't start breathing better. And the fevers only go away for a little when you take Tylenol. And you're having to breathe faster now even in bed. You wait three more days, taking the antibiotics which were supposed to fix you, until you're scared enough to head to the Emergency Room. Because you can't breathe.

You're seen by the first new doctor in the afternoon. The nurses put some tubing under your nose and now you don't have to breathe so hard. He's wearing a lot of stuff your other doctors never wore. It's hard to hear him as he speaks through two masks. He probably says something about that virus that’s going around. The COVID virus. And you're shocked because you thought it was the flu, and you haven't been around any sick people. You don't know where you got it from.

Four hours later a different doctor comes by (also wearing a lot of masks and a yellow dress) and says you're heading upstairs. He asks you even more questions. By this time, you had to switch to a face mask to get enough oxygen to breathe ok.

You spend the night in the hospital. You're woken up at 11PM, 1AM, 2AM, and 5AM for a nurse to come take your vitals. If you take your mask off for even a minute, you feel like you've just run up 2 flights of stairs.

Your newest doctors (there's a few of them) wake you up around 8AM. They listen to your lungs, look at the monitor next to your bed that beeps sometimes, and frown. You can tell even under the masks. They say you're going to get different pills. One of them isn't usually used to treat the COVID, but you're desperate to breathe and you agree to it.

Your nurse keeps coming into your room to check your monitor a few times in an hour. You're breathing just as fast as you were at home, even with the mask of oxygen on.

Suddenly there's a lot of talk outside your room. Maybe you can make it out over the sound of the whooshing air into the mask and your own breathing, maybe not. Doesn't matter.

If you were listening, you'd hear an anesthesiologist asking why he was called stat to the room when a decision hasn't been made yet to intubate or not. (Intubate. Do you know what that word means?) You hear a different doctor ask why they weren't called earlier to first evaluate the patient before the anesthesiologist was called. After a minute or two you see a tall doctor enter your room, again with the masks, and the yellow dress.

Things start to move faster now.

He speaks quickly but seemingly without worry in his voice. "How are you feeling?" (Did he even pause to introduce himself? You can't remember.) You answer in clipped words. "It's not hard to breathe," you say, "but I just can't catch my breath."

He explains that your oxygen is too low despite the mask. And he says the only way to help you keep breathing is to stick a plastic tube down your throat and hook you up to a machine. He explains you'll be asleep while it's in. You agree, because why the hell wouldn't you?

He exits just as quickly as he came in. Again, if you're listening closely, outside the door you hear him say to some people you can't see, "We don’t need to intubate in the room, we've got a good five or ten minutes before he goes south. Get him to the sick you."

You probably didn’t hear that last thing right.

You're rolled out of your room in your stretcher to an elevator. You go up and are wheeled into a busy room of other people in beds but with tubes down their throats, with only drapes to separate them, filled with dozens of people in yellow dresses and masks and plastic windshields on their face. There's more of those same dings and bells you heard from your own monitor, but they're all over the room echoing off the floors and walls and ceiling.

Another doctor says you're going to go to sleep. You look scared. You don’t ask any questions, you just keep breathing. The monitor behind you keeps dinging.

You don't even realize they pushed the medicine into your veins in the two seconds it takes for you to stop feeling or hearing anything.

Maybe you remember being in a fog as the medicine wore off a little. Maybe. You choke on the thing in your throat. Your eyes well up. Then you go back to sleep less than a minute later when you're given more medicine. You hope you don’t remember that.

Now you're wherever we go when we sleep.

You hope you wake up.

MadJackal fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 31, 2020

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

about to do a grocery run

wish me luck fellow STALKERS

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

the horny gun posters are here too shoot the tiny lil grease ball virus into smithereens

Only if it's a water gun filled with Mr. Bubbles if so then it's on

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Writing sort of took a left turn tonight. All based on today's events though.

Honestly, think I'm going to rewrite that one tomorrow to focus on the Code Blue today.

It was relaxing to be more creative than usual.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
look on the bright side, March 30 wasn't 6 figures so it's slowing down

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MadJackal posted:

Honestly, think I'm going to rewrite that one tomorrow to focus on the Code Blue today.

please keep posting

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Yeah I'm sitting on my couch with my fatass cat watching TV that I'll toss at them. I thought the "o_0" was a give away that I was actually doing that

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol woopsy doodle

quote:

A coronavirus outbreak has infected dozens of Marine recruits and staff members at the service's East Coast recruit training center, prompting the suspension of additional arrivals for the foreseeable future, defense officials said Monday.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Sup my axe brethren!

Truly the tool of the proletariat.

Harton fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 31, 2020

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

MadJackal posted:

Day 8

“We’re going to need to start making decisions on who gets care, and no one is stepping up. No one wants to cross that line."

The Story of You

Sure, you had a health scare when you were in your mid 30s, a pretty big scare come to think of it. You had some chest pain whenever you worked too hard and went to a heart doctor and after a bunch of tests wound up getting some kind of mesh tube in your heart. Or something. Doesn't matter. You see your heart doctor every year and he tells you you're fine. Maybe lose a couple pounds. Here's a pill you should take for your blood pressure. Maybe you know the name of it, maybe you don't. But you still see your heart doctor, even two decades later, because you want to be healthy.

Your other doctor worries about your sugars. He tells you to take a different pill. Metformin. You know that one's name. Your other doctor also tells you to lose some weight. And he says he doesn't like how high this blood test number is. But you feel fine. It doesn't hurt like the chest pain you had.

Maybe you work at a gas station. Maybe you're a public notary, doesn't matter. You're definitely blue collar. Hair's thinning and mostly grey, you keep it buzzed pretty close to the scalp. You haven't shaven for the past week or so it seems, because you got sick.

You come down with the flu. Fevers that leave you sweating and chills that put you under the extra blankets you keep on the top shelf of your closet. You don't take a temperature though. You just feel awful. And the cough keeps you up at night. You're not coughing up any goo though, so that's good. Right?

You put up with it for a week. The fevers aren't going away. What's more worrying is that it's getting harder to breathe. Not the kind of hard to breathe when you had your heart issue, no, this is taking the wind from you when you walk the length of your room to go take a wiz. So you overcome your stubbornness and go to an Urgent Care.

This new doctor says he doesn't like the sound of your lungs and orders a chest Xray. Your new doctor says you have pneumonia and gives you two more pills to take. Antibiotics. They'll help you start breathing better again.

But you don't start breathing better. And the fevers only go away for a little when you take Tylenol. And you're having to breathe faster now even in bed. You wait three more days, taking the antibiotics which were supposed to fix you, until you're scared enough to head to the Emergency Room. Because you can't breathe.

You're seen by the first new doctor in the afternoon. The nurses put some tubing under your nose and now you don't have to breathe so hard. He's wearing a lot of stuff your other doctors never wore. It's hard to hear him as he speaks through two masks. He probably says something about that virus that’s going around. The COVID virus. And you're shocked because you thought it was the flu, and you haven't been around any sick people. You don't know where you got it from.

Four hours later a different doctor comes by (also wearing a lot of masks and a yellow dress) and says you're heading upstairs. He asks you even more questions. By this time, you had to switch to a face mask to get enough oxygen to breathe ok.

You spend the night in the hospital. You're woken up at 11PM, 1AM, 2AM, and 5AM for a nurse to come take your vitals. If you take your mask off for even a minute, you feel like you've just run up 2 flights of stairs.

Your newest doctors (there's a few of them) wake you up around 8AM. They listen to your lungs, look at the monitor next to your bed that beeps sometimes, and frown. You can tell even under the masks. They say you're going to get different pills. One of them isn't usually used to treat the COVID, but you're desperate to breathe and you agree to it.

Your nurse keeps coming into your room to check your monitor a few times in an hour. You're breathing just as fast as you were at home, even with the mask of oxygen on.

Suddenly there's a lot of talk outside your room. Maybe you can make it out over the sound of the whooshing air into the mask and your own breathing, maybe not. Doesn't matter.

If you were listening, you'd hear an anesthesiologist asking why he was called stat to the room when a decision hasn't been made yet to intubate or not. (Intubate. Do you know what that word means?) You hear a different doctor ask why they weren't called earlier to first evaluate the patient before the anesthesiologist was called. After a minute or two you see a tall doctor enter your room, again with the masks, and the yellow dress.

He speaks quickly but seemingly without worry in his voice. "How are you feeling?" (Did he even pause to introduce himself? You can't remember.) You answer in clipped words. "It's not hard to breathe," you say, "but I just can't catch my breath."

He explains that your oxygen is too low despite the mask. And he says the only way to help you keep breathing is to stick a plastic tube down your throat and hook you up to a machine. He explains you'll be asleep while it's in. You agree, because why the hell wouldn't you?

He exits just as quickly as he came in. Again, if you're listening closely, outside the door you hear him say to some people you can't see, "We don’t need to intubate in the room, we've got a good five or ten minutes before he goes south. Get him to the sick you."

You're rolled out of your room in your stretcher to an elevator. You go up and are wheeled into a busy room of other people in beds but with tubes down their throats, with only drapes to separate them, filled with dozens of people in yellow dresses and masks and plastic windshields on their face. There's more of those same dings and bells you heard from your own monitor, but they're all over the room echoing off the floors and walls and ceiling.

Another doctor says you're going to go to sleep. You look scared. You don’t ask any questions, you just keep breathing. The monitor behind you keeps dinging.

You don't even realize they pushed the medicine into your veins in the two seconds it takes for you to stop feeling or hearing anything.

Maybe you remember being in a fog as the medicine wore off a little. Maybe. You choke on the thing in your throat. Your eyes well up. Then you go back to sleep less than a minute later when you're given more medicine. You hope you don’t remember that.

You hope you wake up.

loving hell

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

MadJackal posted:

hang in there. :ohdear:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Mixed some butter and vegetable oil, fried up some canned carrots and beets with a small amount of salt and brown sugar.

so good.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

about to do a grocery run

wish me luck fellow STALKERS

can i have one

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Jon Irenicus posted:

drove around a bit in my car to get gas and just not be inside

I spend so much of my goddamned life commuting in that thing and working from home makes my brain go "car fun now"

I've heard people saying they've had less pain because they're not driving as much, have you experienced this?

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah, it should go in the front, and also be shaped like a crow's beak.

???

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

MadJackal posted:

Whatever helps, we're here for you. Thanks for the updates, they've definitely helped me take this very seriously.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MadJackal posted:

Day 8

The Story of You

You hope you wake up.

In Bruges ending out of nowhere.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Harton posted:

Sup my axe brethren!

Truly the tool of the proletariat.

why do you have a safety device on your chopping weapons

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

facetoucher cat posted:

Only if it's a water gun filled with Mr. Bubbles if so then it's on

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

MadJackal posted:

Day 8

The Story of You

You hope you wake up.

That's loving terrifying

Jerk Tannon
Aug 15, 2001

MadJackal posted:

Day 8

The Story of You

You hope you wake up.

Thank you, I think this dead terrible website has more humanity than most. Keep going, sending you my energy.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

the US has hit testing capacity at around 20k per day. There are at least a quarter million cases in the US right now but there aren't enough tests. riperoni. we will be at 1m actual cases this weekend with 220k confirmed. see if we have around 14k deaths then and look into your heart.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

new york's gone to red alert i guess

https://twitter.com/Kreuzader/status/1244829586774425600

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

MadJackal posted:

Day 8

The Story of You

You hope you wake up.

Welp this was not good for my brain, but very well written.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

roni roni roni
just keep on roni roni roni

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Dustcat posted:

this is a thing that could never ever happen in the united states until the second revolution

yep. this will never happen in the US.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
:patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/DaveLeeFT/status/1244774275854131200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

MadJackal posted:

As a member of this forum I’m pretty sure I take this poo poo pretty seriously, but I feel like I was just scared straight with that last one. Your writing was really good and hit home so hard in terms of imagining what those moments are really like... “Ta-ta, off to sleep, hope you are in the lucky 30% who live after being intubated. Just two weeks ago you were thinking about a last trip to Disney with the kids before they get too old.”

I know you said you’ve blown up a bit and people have reached out to you, but I feel like this one has extra value in making it a bit more personal for people that you should consider anonymously sending it to a major Editorial board or something to get it out there - I assume if the amount of info you provide is kosher.