Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Look, I just want to play the free respawns LTE without all these flare nonsense. Just 48 hours of double hot drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There's a description at the start of the game, and lvl3 is exactly the same as lvl1

I'm guessing whatever they originally planned for lvl3 had some critical bug they couldn't fix in time, hence them extending lvl2 and then copy pasting lvl1 to lvl3

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/1371520979202158593?s=19

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

repiv posted:

There's a description at the start of the game, and lvl3 is exactly the same as lvl1

I'm guessing whatever they originally planned for lvl3 had some critical bug they couldn't fix in time, hence them extending lvl2 and then copy pasting lvl1 to lvl3

Lv3 is actually a hybrid of 1 and 2 (1+2= 3 you see). There's a largish flare but not mega that spawns somewhere in middle-ish of the ring and then smaller ringflares that crop up over the course of the ring timer.

That or I totally forgot that lv1 always had a largish flare in the middle :shrug:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Level 3 isn't the same as Level 1, I think there's always a center flare (not as big as Megaflare) on the safe zone. The random flares that spawn throughout are the same as Level 1's.

Only a couple matches into this but I think I prefer this to the previous two.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ah my bad, it is different

It's deviating pretty heavily from that datamined list though, that had many different mechanics but so far they've only shipped 3 variations of ring flares

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's like a week into the event and I still only have 600 damage blocked on that one badge. 4400 to go 🙄

Does it block more damage on later rings, or is it a fixed amount of damage blocked per heat shield, it just ticks down faster? Does it multiply the damage blocked if your entire squad is inside the shield, vs just 1 player?

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

There’s a lore easter egg in Caustic Treatment. Check the backside of the building for some holes you can climb up to. You have to be either Caustic or Wattson to access it but it’s pretty easy to find when you know it’s there. The only problem is how hot of a drop it is, I could barely hear the audio log over the fighting. No reward associated with it if that’s all you care about.

Caustic has big plans for all the toxic gas he’s been refining, and he’s sure nobody can stop him. Not even a certain ex-cop with a grudge. Sounds to me like Maldera might want to join the games to keep him in check...

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's like a week into the event and I still only have 600 damage blocked on that one badge. 4400 to go 🙄

Does it block more damage on later rings, or is it a fixed amount of damage blocked per heat shield, it just ticks down faster? Does it multiply the damage blocked if your entire squad is inside the shield, vs just 1 player?

It blocks WAY more damage later, particularly at ring 3. That’s when the ring damage jumps significantly. The shield dies faster but it’s not proportional to the damage absorbed, so you’ll get 90 damage blocked from a shield in Ring 2 but 200 from Ring 3.

They really should have pinned that badge at maybe 1000 though, 5k is pretty ridiculous without farming. And that’s gonna be harder now that they took Heat Shields out of the crafting list. I think it’s how much damage YOU avoided by being under any given heat shield, though I have not tested that so I could be wrong. It would be much easier to farm with a squad though, since you’ll have access to more shields without crafting.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

repiv posted:

ah my bad, it is different

It's deviating pretty heavily from that datamined list though, that had many different mechanics but so far they've only shipped 3 variations of ring flares

That list is actually for the next event :(

quote:

09/03 - 27/03 Chaos Theory Collection Event
27/03 - 13/04 Chinatown Market Sale
13/04 - 27/04 War Games Event
16/04 - 04/05 <Redacted Story Event>
29/04 - 05/05 Golden Week Sale

the War Games one.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MM is totally broken, it's putting me in games on my own no matter what

Tried toggling fill off and on and it makes no difference

e: finally got teammates on my 6th game post update :woop:

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 15, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They need to test multiple drop ships on different sides of the map at the start of the game to more evenly spread out the people who only know how to drop straight down to a named area beneath them.

Then maybe unranked games would see more then 3 squads alive by the time the first ring is closing.

Seems to me that would FORCE EVERYONE to drop pretty immediately because otherwise other corners of the map will be populated before you can possibly get there.

All dropships hot drop in their own corner of the map because that's just the move rather than dropping on long populated locations. Maybe there aren't 10 teams on the first drop, but you still end up with a lot of people wiping each other out pretty immediately.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Multiple drop ships wouldn't really solve the issue, yeah.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with 75% of the ship dropping immediately. I pretty much just drop in whatever zone I like that's close to the start of the flight path, just avoiding the terrible places where 10 squads decide to go and make a mess

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you kind of need to drop hot a bunch of times to get the hang of the combat - i always assume that's a big factor in why places like skulltown always were insanely hot and always attracted the same kind of player. lots of people just want to maximize their combat/time ratio. i feel like if people get really hooked on this kind of gameplay are the people who become ttv wraiths or horizons.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Just have two drop ships flying directly at each other from opposite sides of the map. When they collide anyone still remaining on the ships are dropped straight down.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CoolCab posted:

you kind of need to drop hot a bunch of times to get the hang of the combat - i always assume that's a big factor in why places like skulltown always were insanely hot and always attracted the same kind of player. lots of people just want to maximize their combat/time ratio. i feel like if people get really hooked on this kind of gameplay are the people who become ttv wraiths or horizons.

it looks pretty certain that the arena mode is coming next season, in theory that will give those players something more productive to do

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Just have two drop ships flying directly at each other from opposite sides of the map. When they collide anyone still remaining on the ships are dropped straight down.

this but also combine it with megaflare

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

you kind of need to drop hot a bunch of times to get the hang of the combat

This is literally how I learned how to play the game and relearned after taking a massive break. I used to drop on the rear end end of kings canyon in some remote area with the mindset of "I'll just gear up and get the jump on some poor mook while everyone else kills each other!" It never went that way sadly.

Hell I still hot drop just because I'm still trying to improve my strafing game.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I find there are two extreme kinds of pugs:

1. Hot drops that die instantly
2. Cold drops that get to late game without meeting anyone and then die instantly

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I used to get a lot of anxiety fighting 1v1-3 but a few months ago I just hot dropped at Estates until I worked out of my system. Now I can take on multiple players with regularity after both my teammates get dropped :v:

It also made me much better at oneclipping enemies which is really valuable in these situations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

CoolCab posted:

Yeah, I was loving terrible at this game and then i hot dropped skulltown for a season. Now i'm pretty good at shooting folks. It's important to hot drop a few times.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Simone Magus posted:

Multiple drop ships wouldn't really solve the issue, yeah.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with 75% of the ship dropping immediately. I pretty much just drop in whatever zone I like that's close to the start of the flight path, just avoiding the terrible places where 10 squads decide to go and make a mess

Drop everyone equidistant from each other and equidistant from the edge and center. Simultaneously. You can reach a lot of places, but you can't all reach popular hot drop locations at the same time.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I did the same thing. Just hotdropped Skulltown for about eight hours straight when the game first released. From there I was good enough at fighting to drop wherever.

Nothing worse than a risk-averse team though. I hate spending 20 mins looting. Even if we do win that game I consider it a loss.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

SKULL.GIF posted:

I believe if you throw up a shield, it counts any and all damage blocked by it towards the count of whoever's shield it is. So maybe theoretically you could get to ring 3 or 4 and just sit in a heat shield for a bit to grind out that counter.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

70% of the time if I solo Q for duos I end up with no partner even if I tick fill.
Sick patch, Respawn!!

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Stranger still when you untick fill, to try and go in solo, and it puts you with a partner anyway. Happens a lot to me. I think I'm getting matched with all the people missing from your groups

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:lol: I can't believe I actually managed to pull that off. Was farming heat shield badge as solo-drop Octane and just watching where squads dropped on hot spots, then hanging out near the mess until Rings 3/4 for better damage per tick. Ran out of heat shields finally as Ring 5 was about to start, so I hopped a car and drove deep through the Ring to the last round hoping I'd be able to loot some more deathboxes for shields.

Ended up somehow getting the high ground against the final squad, beamed two of them down as they ziplined towards me, then with the ring closing in on us I drop my final heat shield, then throw the Jump Pad at Pathfinder as he runs into my shield for safety. It launched him into the ring, and 1 tick later I'd won the game.

I really wish I had shadowplay or something to capture that final 30 seconds of winning a match I didn't even play in, best I could do was unsuccessfully attempting to screenshot the Pathfinder sailing into the ring.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

SKULL.GIF posted:

:lol: I can't believe I actually managed to pull that off. Was farming heat shield badge as solo-drop Octane and just watching where squads dropped on hot spots, then hanging out near the mess until Rings 3/4 for better damage per tick. Ran out of heat shields finally as Ring 5 was about to start, so I hopped a car and drove deep through the Ring to the last round hoping I'd be able to loot some more deathboxes for shields.

Ended up somehow getting the high ground against the final squad, beamed two of them down as they ziplined towards me, then with the ring closing in on us I drop my final heat shield, then throw the Jump Pad at Pathfinder as he runs into my shield for safety. It launched him into the ring, and 1 tick later I'd won the game.

I really wish I had shadowplay or something to capture that final 30 seconds of winning a match I didn't even play in, best I could do was unsuccessfully attempting to screenshot the Pathfinder sailing into the ring.

This is the magical poo poo that happens in this game that really makes Apex so good. Absolute masterpiece. :discourse:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So right now the game just sits at the loading screen with the circle spinning. I can't even go to select servers. Has anyone else dealt with this? I hope there's a fix because this is annoying.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Carillon posted:

So right now the game just sits at the loading screen with the circle spinning. I can't even go to select servers. Has anyone else dealt with this? I hope there's a fix because this is annoying.

Also experiencing this for the first time now. Gonna guess the servers are down, at least for steam.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Carillon posted:

pretty much everyone has been dealing with long loading screen. Oftentimes it'll take minutes of wait but if you ever hit 3+ minutes just try a quick relaunch of the game. It sucks but it just takes patience.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Parts of the Steam backend are down apparently

https://twitter.com/SteamStatus

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Well it is Tuesday and Steam maintenance is a weekly occurrence. I'd be surprise if it was an issue still this late however.

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

I've waited around for more important things

Nice story and all but drat that’s a good apex handle

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Evil Kit posted:

Well it is Tuesday and Steam maintenance is a weekly occurrence. I'd be surprise if it was an issue still this late however.

Hits me every week for like 40 minutes every Tuesday. It's a good reminder for me to go and actually work out or something so i guess its not all bad.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I haven't really played since like season 2 and now I'm trying to get a friend into this game. What are the skulltowns of the current map rotation these days?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Plank Walker posted:

I haven't really played since like season 2 and now I'm trying to get a friend into this game. What are the skulltowns of the current map rotation these days?

Literally whatever POI is directly under the dropship at the start of the game.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Plank Walker posted:

What platform? On PS it seems to be Gauntlet, Crash Site, the Cage, and whatever's closest in the Repulsor/Hydro Dam/Labs/Capacitor line. I assume it's pretty similar on other platforms.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Nobody drops the Pit anymore. Devastated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Nobody drops the Pit anymore. Devastated

Not nearly enough loot there to justify it, plus Runoff and Spotted Lake is like, right there.

The Cage has a similar situation with the loot distribution. I'm never happy about dropping there unless I can make it to the explosive hold.