Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

It is entirely in keeping with the Knights philosophy on hockey that they have mercilessly exploited the Kucherov as hard as they can.

If he can actually play in the playoffs they're going to be drat tough out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah they're gonna be fearsome for the period and a half before he breaks again.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Amazing how this always happens

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

a miracle how all these dead players emerge from their tomb right around easter

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I can't wait to not be able to watch any Avs playoff games

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So the NHL let the Bruins make 5 emergency recalls yesterday so they could rest guys, but today with Sam Lafferty actually getting hurt in practice and Matt Murray/Calle Jarnkrok both out for a week the league is refusing to let the Leafs recall an emergency goalie

So time for yet another random college dude on the bench!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

So the NHL let the Bruins make 5 emergency recalls yesterday so they could rest guys, but today with Sam Lafferty actually getting hurt in practice and Matt Murray/Calle Jarnkrok both out for a week the league is refusing to let the Leafs recall an emergency goalie

Bruins could still afford it because they put Foligno and Forbort on LTIR.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Bruins could still afford it because they put Foligno and Forbort on LTIR.

“Emergency” recalls are specifically $0 though so that shouldn’t matter, unless they were mistakenly called that and were in fact regular ones

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

They deserve it for having Matt Murray on the team in the first place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

“Emergency” recalls are specifically $0 though so that shouldn’t matter, unless they were mistakenly called that and were in fact regular ones

Emergency recalls are to go above the roster limit on AHL players. Cap still counts. That’s what Boston did, because the LTIR enabled it.

Emergency cap relief is another thing but frequently used together. That’s presumably what the Leafs requested and had denied.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Leafs also just bingoed their remaining cap space to the day to sign Knies so they have literally no money left at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, I feel like using your space to sign a forward when you've been down a goalie for a while then requesting relief probably gets you a very quick, terse no.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
On one hand, yeah. On the other hand, even I was able to predict that Toronto would sign Knies on the evening of April 8 or the following day two months ago.

On the other hand, this is why you keep enough goalies around or at least make sure they're injured enough to go on IR for a week for the cap relief.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RC Cola posted:

I can't wait to not be able to watch any Avs playoff games

I hope this is right ...

https://www.cabletv.com/sports/watch-nhl-playoffs#:~:text=You%20need%20a%20TV%20plan,and%20the%20other%20conference%20final.

pre:
NHL Playoffs schedule
The first round of the 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs will begin on April 17. Because each best-of-seven series determines the length of each playoff stage, the Stanley Cup Finals will start around June 3.

You can keep tabs on the full NHL Playoffs schedule and bracket by visiting the NHL’s Stanley Cup Playoffs page.

Round			Start date		Channels
First Round		Monday, April 17	ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, TBS, TNT
Second Round		TBA			ESPN, ESPN2, TNT
Conference Finals	TBA			ABC, ESPN, TNT
Stanley Cup Finals	Saturday, June 3	TNT
I just cut cable and switched to YouTube TV, and after the fact learned that fubo.tv would get me Altitude and NHL Network (because ESPN+ is nowhere close to covering what NHL Center Ice used to get you) and didn't want to switch or double pay just yet. I shouldn't have to worry until the start of the 2023-2024 season now.

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 11, 2023

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, I feel like using your space to sign a forward when you've been down a goalie for a while then requesting relief probably gets you a very quick, terse no.

The distinction in this case would be that Lafferty went down to injury today, and he makes more than the Leafs can reasonably get rid of, so the league is punishing the Leafs for not making a corresponding move earlier without knowledge that another forward would go down. And yeah, they did sign Knies over calling up Woll yesterday, but the cap/roster situation today is different.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

The distinction in this case would be that Lafferty went down to injury today, and he makes more than the Leafs can reasonably get rid of, so the league is punishing the Leafs for not making a corresponding move earlier without knowledge that another forward would go down. And yeah, they did sign Knies over calling up Woll yesterday, but the cap/roster situation today is different.

You do need to play short for at least a game before you get the cap relief version of an emergency recall, so if this is indeed a new injury/emergency then why should the leafs get credit for playing short before the injury occurred?

Also recalling a goalie isn't exactly a corresponding move for a forward getting injured, so that probably makes it harder to justify recalling woll on an emergency basis

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They’re not being punished, they’re being denied the opportunity to game the system.

If they asked for relief for a forward when Lafferty went down, maybe they get it (but maybe not since now they have Knies.) Asking for a goalie is just blatant.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Lost Season posted:

You do need to play short for at least a game before you get the cap relief version of an emergency recall, so if this is indeed a new injury/emergency then why should the leafs get credit for playing short before the injury occurred?

Also recalling a goalie isn't exactly a corresponding move for a forward getting injured, so that probably makes it harder to justify recalling woll on an emergency basis

So you don’t do the recall as “oh we happen to need a goalie” you go “hey, Lafferty makes $1.15M on the cap which is above the savings we get for waiving a player to call up a goalie, and if we waived two people we’d still be short a roster player and then require an exemption to fill that new hole so let’s save the paperwork and get an exemption for the goalie.” Like, one way or another the Leafs are carrying an injured guy’s salary, need to replace his spot, and the paper moves they could theoretically do to make a subsequent goalie recall “legal” would still put them down a roster player.

Koopa Kid fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 11, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah we all get what you're saying about how that's the way you think the rules should work. But they don't. No one's trying to screw the Leafs and/or do the Bruins a solid, what you're describing is against the rules and what the Bruins did isn't.

Honestly the cap rules ought to be a lot more draconian than they are, if there's going to be a cap at all.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah we all get what you're saying about how that's the way you think the rules should work. But they don't. No one's trying to screw the Leafs and/or do the Bruins a solid, what you're describing is against the rules and what the Bruins did isn't.

Honestly the cap rules ought to be a lot more draconian than they are, if there's going to be a cap at all.

I guess that’s what I’m really getting at, if there’s a soft exemption that’s based on judgement calls then you open the system up to being gamed and/or being used as punishment as well, when really a hard cap system should probably work by going “tough luck” unilaterally

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

I hope this is right ...

https://www.cabletv.com/sports/watch-nhl-playoffs#:~:text=You%20need%20a%20TV%20plan,and%20the%20other%20conference%20final.

pre:
NHL Playoffs schedule
The first round of the 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs will begin on April 17. Because each best-of-seven series determines the length of each playoff stage, the Stanley Cup Finals will start around June 3.

You can keep tabs on the full NHL Playoffs schedule and bracket by visiting the NHL’s Stanley Cup Playoffs page.

Round			Start date		Channels
First Round		Monday, April 17	ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, TBS, TNT
Second Round		TBA			ESPN, ESPN2, TNT
Conference Finals	TBA			ABC, ESPN, TNT
Stanley Cup Finals	Saturday, June 3	TNT
I just cut cable and switched to YouTube TV, and after the fact learned that fubo.tv would get me Altitude and NHL Network (because ESPN+ is nowhere close to covering what NHL Center Ice used to get you) and didn't want to switch or double pay just yet. I shouldn't have to worry until the start of the 2023-2024 season now.

Note that fuboTV does not get TNT. I’m in the same boat where I either pay a lot for cable to get RootNW for the Kraken or play the bounce back and forth for the playoffs. It’s absolutely ridiculous how hard it is to get all the channels the games are on for this stupid sport.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
If you wondered where "all the hockey fights" have gone, apparently they've moved to women's hockey. Don't anyone tell Bulgaria and Romania that a game to determine who finishes FOURTH in Division 3A of the Women's World Hockey Championship is meaningless.

https://twitter.com/H0ckeyWorldwide/status/1645160159633702915

To make this um, more NHL N/V related, Don Cherry is probably hootin and hollerin about how this is REAL playoff hockey. (and I see some swinging sticks in the melee and a pile on. Almost something out of Slap Shot)

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Erik Karlsson hit 100 points. He's only the sixth defenseman to ever do it. I feel like we've been seeing a lot of crazy milestones this year. Great time to be a fan of hockey.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens got the result they needed. If they can beat Chicago and Columbus (any fashion) they're in.

Time for maximum pain when they somehow blow one of those games :v:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Leafs played short so they could sign Knies. They could have not signed Knies and made a recall and decided not to

They also left two healthy players in the press box last game so it's hard to feel sympathy for them. They knew what they were doing.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 11, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Pens got the result they needed. If they can beat Chicago and Columbus (any fashion) they're in.

Time for maximum pain when they somehow blow one of those games :v:

Maximum pain is them getting annihilated by the loving Bruins

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Eric the Mauve posted:

If they win both games they play Carolina (or New Jersey or even in some bizarro finish the Rangers lol).

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Leafs played short so they could sign Knies. They could have not signed Knies and made a recall and decided not to

They also left two healthy players in the press box so it's hard to feel sympathy for them. They knew what they were doing.

Speaking of Knies he was fine but it’s very apparent that the team really doesn’t have a need for him this season. Last year when Keefe was running out both Simmonds and Clifford it made sense to think the kid could carve out some space on the roster but adding Acciari and Lafferty at the deadline gives the team more than enough forwards for the checking lines. All this cap gymnastics stuff is just unnecessarily complicated for no value, which feels like a lot of Dubas’ fringe roster moves.

Kid has mitts though, it’s easy to see why the team is high on him it’s also just easy to see he needs a summer and training camp at least before he pulls down a regular shift.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Posted this in the G/D but are the NHL.com points all hosed or is ESPN completely wrong about Florida clinching?

If Buffalo/Pittsburgh win out, they would be knocked out with a regulation or, potentially with any loss if Buffalo wins out and gets three ROWs.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1645605299569426433?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Still in this thing!!!!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

T-Bone posted:

Posted this in the G/D but are the NHL.com points all hosed or is ESPN completely wrong about Florida clinching?

If Buffalo/Pittsburgh win out, they would be knocked out with a regulation or, potentially with any loss if Buffalo wins out and gets three ROWs.

Actually any Islanders regulation win too and a Carolina loss.

So Buffalo needs help from Carolina and the Islanders still.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 11, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

If Florida wins their next game, they clinch. Buffalo winning out would put them at 93 pts max, Florida would be at 94. Isles can only get to 93 max.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Erik Karlsson hit 100 points. He's only the sixth defenseman to ever do it. I feel like we've been seeing a lot of crazy milestones this year. Great time to be a fan of hockey.

This is truly insane considering he's on such a terrible team.

He is tied with Pastrnak and 1 behind McDavid for the most even-strength points in the NHL as a defenseman, that is unheard of

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Someone probably misunderstood Florida needing a win as Florida needing a point.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nah that's totally expected. I won't care about that at all.

I will be pretty depressed if they have a chance to extend the playoff streak and lose to Chicago or Columbus though. Losing in 4 or 5 games to Boston or Carolina or New Jersey? Eh, I'd be shocked if that didn't happen.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fawning deference posted:

If Florida wins their next game, they clinch. Buffalo winning out would put them at 93 pts max, Florida would be at 94. Isles can only get to 93 max.

Buffalo has the head to head tiebreaker vs the Islanders too, there's like a billion scenarios still.

The Devils/Sabres game is actually pretty big tomorrow. Big implications for first and the wild card.

e: and actually with that shootout loss the Rangers can't win the division anymore. The Devils sure seem like they have a good shot at winning it now if they win their next two. More ROWs than Carolina and Carolina has that brutal game vs. Florida at the end. Buffalo tomorrow with their playoff life on the line is going to be tough though.

It's kind of funny that Buffalo beating the Devils tomorrow puts a lot less pressure on Carolina to beat Florida, a result the Sabres pretty much need.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 11, 2023

NJD2005
Sep 3, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Buffalo has the head to head tiebreaker vs the Islanders too, there's like a billion scenarios still.

The Devils/Sabres game is actually pretty big tomorrow. Big implications for first and the wild card.

e: and actually with that shootout loss the Rangers can't win the division anymore. The Devils sure seem like they have a good shot at winning it now if they win their next two. More ROWs than Carolina and Carolina has that brutal game vs. Florida at the end. Buffalo tomorrow with their playoff life on the line is going to be tough though.

Regulation Wins (RW) is the first tie breaker which the Islanders have over Buffalo, the Rangers can win the division if they win their last game and Carolina and New Jersey lose their last 2.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

NJD2005 posted:

Regulation Wins (RW) is the first tie breaker which the Islanders have over Buffalo, the Rangers can win the division if they win their last game and Carolina and New Jersey lose their last 2.

Ooooh for some reason I thought it was ROW, not RW.

Devils/Penguins is a pretty funny perspective series. Or Devils/Sabres ?????

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 11, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Panthers not getting that OT goal has me stressed for Thursday for what should’ve been a nice end of season ‘friendly’ that meant nothing to either team, but will now feel like a Game 7 and me compiling a list of the games we absolutely should’ve gotten points out of 6 months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres have to win out no matter what. As long as Florida and Pittsburgh don’t hit or exceed 93 points, the Sabres can make it because apparently they have a tie breaker over NYI? Seems like the most likely scenario would be Pittsburgh losing one of their two games and Florida losing to Carolina. Not that the Sabres winning out is very likely. Maybe a 5% chance of all the stars aligning.