Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Randalor posted:

Also, if you have the ship insurance, do you have to fill out forms in triplicate after the wreck is hauled to the insurance shipyard,

I just realized there are multiple generations of people out there using the term "in triplicate" without ever knowing about carbon paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Omg, effortpost.

FishMcCool posted:

That's a bit of a reductive take on the Morrowind vs Skyblivion fast travel imho. There's more to it than wasting time, and the fast travel design has consequences on quest/dialogue design. While Daggerfall simply couldn't have worked without extensive fast travel (and I loving love Daggerfall, the Unity version being a brilliant way to replay it), I feel like Morrowind has a close to perfect approach to it, with Silt Striders, boats and spells (Divine/Almsivi Intervention, Mark/Recall) providing a lot of convenience around a set network of hubs while preserving the exploration angle reinforced by dialogue driven locations instead of minimap arrows. Oblivion/Skyrim being around the same scales would imho have been better games with similarish design instead of the teleport anywhere/anytime, and might have avoided things like random peasant #658 asking you to recover his lost pitchfork which somehow happens to be in a dungeon half a world map away (because it doesn't matter, the devs know that you can just teleport there and back).

Oblivion in particular is pretty notorious for how it impacted quest design negatively, so I'm not sure it's the best example. Skyrim fixed it a bit as lobsterminator points out, with the combo of discovery requirements, but also a the meme horse (perhaps unintentionally) and cart service.

But the more interesting comparison is probably Skyrim SE's and Fallout 4's survival modes, and how both were afterthoughts but ended up having very different impacts. Skyrim SE (and also the Anniversary Edition, but that was really just more mods added in by default, which solved a different problem) being a weird example of trying to bolt it on later to a much more expansive game using the experiences from Fo4 as a guide. Both disabled fast travel entirely, and actively made their respective games better for it, but not because of the fast travel alone but because of how they amplified and made relevant a bunch of other parts of the game that were largely pointless without them.

Both survival modes essentially boiled down to: a lot of faff you have to deal with between murdering things, and making that faff a bit more difficult to begin with (mainly through inventory restrictions). Having to carry around — and occasionally even plan (gasp!) — necessities as a buffer if you couldn't live off the land, and having to do that rather than bring the fire sword and the steal knife and the explodey bow and the Sunday axe for walking around town. And if you find a huge haul of [whatever], it may mean having to actively choose what to bring back because you certainly can't bring it all… not just because of much lower weight restrictions but because of the catastrophic debuffs of hunger and thirst. Disabling fast travel in all of that means that this choice now matters — if you do want to bring it all, that means multiple trips, and suddenly that no longer becomes a matter of UI fiddling and a bunch of loading screens, but half a day's worth of playing the game.

But more than that, it suddenly brings to life a bunch of other things. In Fo4, it means that the Brotherhood vertibirds and the Institute teleporters become insanely compelling reasons to join and stick with those factions for as long as possible. The fog in Far Harbour becomes an actual threat (further boosted by the illness/weakness mechanics tied to radiation and anti-rad drugs) and the reduced visibility combined with the lowered compass icon range makes it an actual possibility to get kind of lost. And that last part also brings alive the otherwise annoying and much-ridiculed “I'll mark it on your map” — having that mark suddenly helps, because some things would be difficult to discover otherwise. And you still have to find your way there.

In Fo4, and to a lesser degree in SkSE because it wasn't as fully fleshed out with the homsteads yet, it means that the foundational base building aspect of the game, and the mass looting for resources that ties into it, become critical: having essential services and caches of equipment nearby becomes hugely advantageous, even if it's the most basic things or just a place to store loot for future contemplation, again since that back-and-forth to fetch everything takes time. With no fast-travel, having that base nearby means you have… well… a base to work from. The Hearthfire homes can probably be seen as a prototype for this, but were more a place to safely store and show off you stuff, and more as an extension of the homes you could already buy in the major cities. They don't matter as much there because those cities are always close-by, and essential services are nowhere near as essential in SkSE as they are in Fo4.

But the point in all of this is that the removal of fast travel in and of itself is just a matter of aesthetics — what makes an actual different and makes its existence or non-existence meaningful is what else is affected by it.

Skyrim was — probably a bit incidentally, and perhaps more as a response to the Oblivion criticism of being sent from everywhere to everywhere with no geographic sense to it — a bit more hub based. The quests you get in a given location are commonly centred in or around that location… unless it was a radiant quest and the location was just picked from a random list — another reason why radiant “content” was horribly stupid. Here, removing fast travel wasn't functionally as important because means existed to move between most of these hubs, or getting close enough to them so as to not matter. The larger quest chains — the major faction quests, the main quests of both the base game and the DLCs — mainly become more quest-like for it.

Fo4 is a different story, and for very different reasons. Its quests are inherently designed to put you all over the map, and its reliance on radiant quests or on having radiant quest locations even for fixed quests, is intentionally part of that. So no fast travel screws with that royally, especially with a handful of missions that are (silently or explicitly) timed. The most notorious example of this is probably the second half of the Nuka World DLC, where you are going back and forth into a sub-map, just to talk to a guy, six times, and without fast travel it is a horrid slog. It's extra notorious because it was created after Survival and its restrictions had been added, so there's really no excuse not to take that into consideration in the design of the mission. That weird release timing issue aside, it's an after-thought, and it shows.

But on the other hand, the way this interacts with the settlements, you now have an incentive to not just do everything sequentially but rather to create a huge quest log and cluster them together around one of your bases. And as mentioned, it suddenly brings a purpose that didn't really exist before to a swath of game components: the faction travel systems, base building, even annoying NPC conversations. It again brings weight (ha!) to the weight restrictions, especially in how those play into the looting and consequently base building (again) game loops. These are core components of the game that were previously largely functionally pointless, even if the player could engage with them out of their own enjoyment. With fast travel removed, they become important to just about anyone who plays the game. Coincidentally, many of the other changes in Fo4 survival mode have the same effect, with how diseases make drugs matter a whole lot more, and make them a difficult choice rather than just “spam heal button”, or how all the various animal bits and food recipes suddenly do something, or how radiation — the eponymous fallout — becomes a lethal long-term threat that needs to be managed properly. So it may have been an after-thought, but it shows how many of the core game designs were missing something to tie them all together to work coherently as a whole.

While it could be argued that no fast travel is just a way of pad out the game time, it can equally well be argued that fast travel runs the risk of making the player skip large portions of gameplay, and even entire game mechanics that the ability to go anywhere at the click of a button simply obviates. No fast travel might not just pad the game time, but may offer or at least highlight opportunities to engage with various systems that would otherwise be completely missed because, why would you? It's really one of those “think about this first, and then design around your decision” components because of the impact it can have.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 26, 2023

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Tippis posted:

But the more interesting comparison is probably Skyrim SE's and Fallout 4's survival modes, and how both were afterthoughts but ended up having very different impacts. Skyrim SE (and also the Anniversary Edition, but that was really just more mods added in by default, which solved a different problem). Both disabled fast travel entirely, and actively made their respective games better for it, but not because of the fast travel alone but because of how they amplified and made relevant a bunch of other parts of the game that were largely pointless without them.

You're making me want to play skyrim again :colbert:

Un/luckily, by the time I'm able to, starfield is going to be almost out.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Xakura posted:

Do it!
Just make sure that, if you play in survival mode, either do it in Anniversary or manually get the camping mod that lets you place fires and sleeping locations to the areas that never were designed with such need in mind. I.e. the entirety of the Dragonborn and Dawnguard DLCs. :cripes:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/EThSORE.mp4

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Xakura posted:

Un/luckily, by the time I'm able to, starfield is going to be almost out.

How to play Skyrim: Spend 15-16 hours researching, installing, and load ordering mods. Spend one hour playing. Give up and uninstall when you find a game breaking bug (somehow caused by your mods).

In a way this resembles the process of playing Star Citizen, only without the mods. And much cheaper.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tippis posted:

Omg, effortpost.

Ty for that excellentpost

I loved Skyrim frostbite for this, looking up into the mountains mentally cataloguing the work you'd need to do before you headed up there. It gave space a weight and meaning it didn't have before.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

pun pundit posted:

How to play Skyrim: Spend 15-16 hours researching, installing, and load ordering mods. Spend one hour playing. Give up and uninstall when you find a game breaking bug (somehow caused by your mods).

In a way this resembles the process of playing Star Citizen, only without the mods. And much cheaper.

These days there's Wabbajack to easily install modlists, just gotta grab nexusmods premium for a month so it can do everything automatically.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Ty for that excellentpost

I loved Skyrim frostbite for this, looking up into the mountains mentally cataloguing the work you'd need to do before you headed up there. It gave space a weight and meaning it didn't have before.

It also helps that Frostbite was a bit better done and integrated with the rest of the game design than the survival mode Bethesda made part of their official Special Edition. Iirc, it even comes with a list of other mods that it is not just compatible with, but which it pseudo-actively relies on to make sure the player doesn't just up and die from bad weather with no way of controlling it (which is something the SkSE version does — it's fixed in AE by the inclusion of those extra mods that tie the whole package together more neatly).

It's almost as if you can't just throw ideas together because you thought (or heard) they looked neat… 🤔

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

I just realized there are multiple generations of people out there using the term "in triplicate" without ever knowing about carbon paper

I worked at a job where our shift reports were written out on paper in triplicate on carbon paper, until 2012 (one copy was for our team, one was for the client. No idea who the third copy was for). I'm pretty sure at least one of the hardcore Star Cultists would call carbon paper a "fun ruining quality of life change".

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Randalor posted:

I'm pretty sure at least one of the hardcore Star Cultists would call carbon paper a "fun ruining quality of life change".

More like proof of the double standards of the gay woke conspiracy and their so-called green agenda which somehow doesn't mind using CARBON paper! :argh:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

It’s all a moot point because we all know that Bethesda makes games for babies, but Star Citizen is a game for he-men CTOs of major software companies. And as I sit in a 15 minute tram ride to a 5 minute elevator ride to a 20 minute quantum jump to another planet to pick up a single box and do it all over again, I can feel the soy drain from body as my testosterone levels skyrocket.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 26, 2023

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Regarding immersion and tedium, I am a fan of voluntary tedium.

When I'm in a mellow, good mood I enjoy going to sleep every night in Skyrim and eating regularly, just for fun. But sometimes I feel like just pushing forward with quests.

I've played with the various survival and needs mods in Skyrim, but they just get annoying after a while. It's more fun to do it on your own terms.

Then again, I hate when a game like Witcher 3 doesn't allow me to sit etc. It's nice to do some totally unnecessary immersive things in CRPGs now and then.

To tie this back to SC, they seem to be pushing for the forced survival/tedium route and when you have to do some basic task hundreds of times it gets bland. The vocal SC forum celebs will love it, but most sensible humans like a bit of QoL.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

As another perspective on tedium mechanics, I would like to offer the way it's done in Shadows of Doubt (which has become my greatest summer vacation waste of time in a long while).

Aside from how it uses procedural generation to create a compelling clockwork society within a few city blocks — with actual hundreds of NPCs living out their individual lives (until one of them snaps and murders another one), similar to what is promised but will never be achieved in SC — one thing it has is a whole slew of status effects and the option to use them or not.

Some of these are pretty obvious: if you suck at being a sneaky sleuth and get into a fight, you can bleed or be bruised or have broken bones, ultimately causing you to black out, be more susceptible to new damage, or leave a trail behind so NPCs pursuing you have an easier time finding you. So you need to apply bandages or pain pills or splits to get rid of the status effects. But doing too much leaves you “numb” and you do less damage. Your penalty for sucking at combat is to suck at it even more for a short while.

Some of them are more common, but with quirky side effects: if you don't eat or drink, you get hungry or thirsty, and the above health effects don't heal as quickly. But you can also over-eat and -drink and have the healing speed up further, and also make you run faster. If you know you're going to fight, for whatever reason, you can use the tedium mechanics of food and drink to prepare a bit.

Similarly, you can get cold, which gives you slow damage over time and also making the screen shake, which in turn makes it difficult to precisely manipulate your environment. In a brilliant kind of almost serendipitous “cop simulator 101” moment, this means that if you're on a stakeout outside a building, waiting for someone to show up (or trying to tail someone), or skimming through hours of street camera footage to find your suspect, you need to bring a lot of coffee to keep yourself warm. And you can prep further by getting warmed up to begin with.

Then there are the esoteric ones: if you can't find proper drink to get rid of “thirsty” status, you can try booze which gets you “inebriated”, again making it hard to manipulate the world because of camera sway (and blur), and also your controls cycle in and out of being reversed so you sway all over the place. And it randomly makes you fall over and take a bit of damage. Being drunk also leaves you hung-over, with a “headache” status effect, slowing you down — pain pills will again help, but will as mentioned have their own side effect — and a “smelly” effect (which you also get from rummaging around in garbage bins for evidence), which imposes a penalty to asking NPCs for information. And to top it off, if you eat or drink some stuff you get “nauseous”, which provides another movement and control penalty. To get rid of that, you in turn need to vomit, which again makes you “smelly”, which is cured by taking a shower, which leaves you “wet” (making you slip and fall randomly, and you also get it for staying out in the rain on one of those stakeouts)… It's really an endless chain of status effects that have various consequences and remedies, some of which have consequences of their own.

So what does all of that have to do with the core game conceit of being a detective figuring out whodunnit from stringing clues together from more or less obvious clues or sources of information? Part of it, like the “cold” effect you get for staying out in the weather too long or for trying to be stealthy in ventilation ducts, is there to gently nudge you away from specific brute-force methods of finding people or getting around obstacles. Some, like the damage effects, are there to not-so-subtly inform you that this is not a combat game. Some are almost entirely optional — you don't have to eat or drink, because it's trivial to stay out of combat where their main effects are felt, but being topped up makes you faster, which also helps you being sneaky and dodging security systems. But this means juggling food items in and out of your very limited inventory space, which you'd rather use for stuff like hand cuffs and a camera, and make some door wedges to be left alone.

But some are there to deliberately and pretty much explicitly waste your time. And since you're in a clockwork world, and since tracks and clues can and will disappear over time, and since the killer will strike again if you're not fast enough, time is not to be wasted. Nevertheless, the game has plenty of soft traps set for you to make you “stinky”, for instance, which is a surprisingly heavy penalty on your information searching ability, and you need to balance that against the tedium of finding a shower and drying off. Every single one serves a purpose in the gameplay, and doesn't exist solely for its own sake. Even though some of them are most likely there more to appeal to the immersive sim enthusiasts desire to have every odd interaction option available to them, they have given a reason to exist within the flow of the game.

…and also, you can individually turn each and every one of those status effects on or off to perfectly match your preferred level of status-balancing tedium.

e: Coincidentally, Shadows of Doubt is a really good game, doing a significant portion of what's supposedly unique about SC, made by a team of six.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 26, 2023

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Chris Roberts himself is changing the way hit point registration works, he's making the bounding box for each 3D model conform to the actual model (if you know how 3D models are made you'll know what the bounding box is) and so the collision physics of projectiles and the physical properties of the target will determine the damage done to whatever they actually collide with, they have talked about penetration, deformation, ricochets and fragmentation. This means if you shoot through a gap in a fence it won't do what other games do and have the bullet hit an invisible barrier, you'll actually be able to shoot through the gap.

We're still in Alpha with many things at tier 0 implementation. Talking about the years of development is not relevant because no-one has ever done things like this before, no-one knows how long it is all supposed to take this is R&D on the run at the coal face - and that's exactly why it had to be crowdfunded. Anyone who joined the project since Dec 23rd 2015 should know that this project will be in constant development, anyone who joined before that date should also know that CIG have put mechanisms in place to have an 'out' (even with a personal profit) and so it is up to each individual now to make a choice, ask yourself whether you want to support a project in continual development with constant iteration or leave. You can always come back later.

Those who keep harping on about the game being in permanent alpha think they are the majority, you're not, just about everyone now knows exactly what this project is and that is part of the reason it is so successful because people can always hope and dream for more than they would get from other game projects. We don't get streamers abandoning other games and coming to Star Citizen because they are bored of the other games, they come because they know they'll never be told.. 'That's it, that's all you're getting'. There's always more to talk about and look forward to... no limits.

Extrapolating from current performance limitations due to backend architecture is a little pointless... it's all going to change. Anyone who says they didn't want that level of detail and instead wanted the game earlier with less detail and features obviously weren't listening to their plans and thinking about the ramifications of what Chris and CIG said from the very beginning. None of it delayed production of the game because it was always the plan, it's the other stuff like spherical grid planets (and the knock on effects required to support them) and the backend architecture that have taken the time... and it was the community who demanded those features.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Ah, yes. Shooting through fences — the pinnacle of FPS tech.
Like you could do in… let's see here… Doom (1993).

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
They sure have talked about lots of things.

Not so much has been delivered though...

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
It's true, Star Citizen is a project that will never tell you, "That's it, that's all you're getting."

It will just wait until you figure that out on your own.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So Pisscat is just Crobert's personal toilet, of his own volition, right? That's what I'm getting from that wall of text. That is either someone who is so far up Crobert's rear end that he tastes the food as Croberts chews it, or is an epic-level troll.

Edit: Also, couldn't you already shoot through gaps in fences in the original Farcry?

Randalor fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 26, 2023

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The selective insistence of realism is silly. From what I've seen the space combat is very arcade-y with basically Wing Commander style bolts flying in the air, when if they actually wanted newtonian physics and realism space combat would be very long distance and clumsy and you would rarely actually see the ships. SC doesn't even have basic newtonian physics.

But implementing these bullet physics that mimic our current era weapons in a scifi game is for some reason super important, even though they don't make the game more fun. Game design makes a game more fun.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Some of the 3D modelling is ridiculous posted:

In the last few days I have been watching some videos on CIGS 3D modelling and honestly it is super impressive.

In one example I saw the internals of a FPS ballistic weapon. The shell actually starts inside the gun and makes its way out of the chamber. That is off the charts attention to detail.

Most games the bullet (if they even bother making a bullet to start with) starts at the end of the guns barrel.

If you join a game with friends you can actually see where they are holding their gun and where they are facing. I know that doesn't sound impressive but most games just cheat. Your view of what other players is doing with their gun isn't generally where their gun is even facing - it's all a bit of a lazy facades that's "good enough"

Part of me was like is this level of detail that CIG are employing really needed? But then I recalled other games with detailed models and how they were able to use quality models to update the renders and shaders on those models as technology improved with the press of a button as a way of future proofing the game with minimal future development overhead.

Do any citizens have any favourite complex SC models that they found super impressive?

Don't make me the only weirdo that deep dives random topics :zany_face:

quote:

Meanwhile in SC if you crash a giant space ship into a forest at full speed or drop an A2 bomb on it you won't scratch a single tree not even its foliage. Guess what the players will notice: that or the inside of their gun being physicalized? This project is truly a master class about how to waste as much time and resources as possible on useless features at the expense of the ones that matter. That's why I've stopped fueling this masquerade of a videogame development with my money several years ago. Because what next? The SC characters physicalized digestive system for the poop "gameplay" in a space game?

quote:

3D modeling and 3D asset production is arguably the easiest part of game development, IMO.

In terms of practical functionality, there's basically zero reason to have a gun in game mechanically work as it would realistically--i.e. having a shell of a firearm actually go through a magazine, into a receiver, being struck by a firing pin, and fly out of a barrel is almost completely useless and a waste of effort and resources unless perhaps you're making some kind of "gun engineer simulator" game, or something to that effect, where such mechanics are central to the game. Whatever you might hope to gain from having a firearm in your game work this way, you can probably cheat and produce a similar effect without going through all of that effort, and sacrificing the engine and hardware demands required to produce it.

A crucial skill of game developers is learning to cheat in inventive ways for the sake of optimization without sacrificing (or with minimal sacrifice to) fidelity. This is, for instance, why learning to project high poly models onto low poly models to cheat a high poly aesthetic without requiring impractical hardware demands is one of the most basic, universal workflows to master as a 3D asset developer. This is, for instance, why when rigging a humanoid figure for animation, you don't literally recreate a human skeleton and muscle/tendon structure 100%. You cheat and simplify as much as you can, wherever you can get away with it, and this form of cheating is a crucial skill that you have to learn and use.

Moreover, the more complexity, the more easily things can break, or go wrong, and the more difficult they will be to fix and optimize. KISS.

With enough time, virtually anyone can create some high poly, super detailed, intricate, complex, amazingly textured, mechanically sound inanimate object. But that model won't be practical for a game. Making it practical for a game is in the job description, and where real skill and expertise lies.

So, while you claim something like you describe is indicative of attention to detail, to me, it's more indicative of something much less flattering.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

Star Citizen: physicalized digestive system for the poop "gameplay"

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The loading screen thing that SC fans talk about is especially funny since I'm pretty sure there's been an industry shift away from them since the late 360 era. I'm sure there's still plenty of games with loading screens of some kind but a lot of games also just hide them in other activities, like when your character needs to slowly work their way through a tight space or a scene where you talk to someone

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

star citizen posted:

But then I recalled other games with detailed models and how they were able to use quality models to update the renders and shaders on those models as technology improved with the press of a button as a way of future proofing the game with minimal future development overhead.

?? What is this about?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Tippis posted:

Omg, effortpost.

Thanks for this. I've been writing the same effort post you did about half a dozen times over the years. Survival mode really transformed FO4. Together with crafting and settlements, it transformed the world map from an irrelevant backdrop into an alive and vibrant thing. It turned Fallout 4, despite all its other flaws, into my favorite Bethesda game.

I only wished you had the option of travelling like in Morowind: instead of quest markers, navigate through salient landmarks. But that would have required a lot of work on the game world for something that like five people would use.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Dang I should revisit that game and try survival mode. I mostly just treated Fallout 4 like a really tedious SimCity game.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Yeah throw in the Sim Settlements mod and the whole game really comes together.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Apollodorus posted:

Dang I should revisit that game and try survival mode. I mostly just treated Fallout 4 like a really tedious SimCity game.

Yes, it's worth noting that it will still be Fallout 4, with its nonsensical plot, bafflingly stupid “speech” system, the dumbest antagonist to ever be presented in a video game to the point where the whole threat would solve itself if you just left it alone for a few years, non-rpg rpg design, and general disregard for all things Fallout.

But… if you disregard all of that, it's a game that, with survival mode turned on, becomes a pretty passable shooter (since your guns, and those of your enemies actually become dangerous). In fact, all threats become dangerous and need to be managed properly — just brute-forcing your way through won't really work. All of a sudden, the explore-loot-construct loop actually matters; all the random junk you find, including all the food items, are given a purpose to exist, and you'll want to learn where in this huge world you can find what kind of junk; a whole slew of perks that were pointless (in particular anything related to radiation) because you could just drug or fast-travel your way out of it, are now compelling options; where even low-level enemies can be threatening for a high-level character, not just because they bite harder but because suddenly diseases are a thing, and doctors are rare. All the things dotted around the map will now take on a new meaning as repositories for particular types of loot, and legendary weapons are so far down that list of importance it's almost funny… doubly so since they weigh a bunch and are just not worth your time. Almost all half-forgotten mechanics come alive.

You'll suddenly look at the chemistry and food recipe lists (which are subtly altered to require more/other things and occasionally new/higher per levels) and see that there are solutions to your survival woes, but this means hunting for things that you never even gave a second glance before. You'll find stimpacks, but rather than thinking “yay, healing item” (because healing this way consumes a fuckton of now very precious water), you'll think “hmm… yay? but where do I find the acid and other stuff to make antibiotics instead” (because that's a far more relevant drug to have).

It becomes a legitimately good game… just don't expect it to fix the flaws in its Fallout:ness or suddenly turn it into a working RPG. :haw:

Tippis fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 27, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Are there any mods it needs as well, or is that just the survival mode?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Are there any mods it needs as well, or is that just the survival mode?

That's just survival mode. The one thing I'd immediately recommend is a mod that re-enables the console because, hey, it's a Bethesda game — something will break at some point that you need to console your way out of.

Beyond that, mods to taste, really. The standard “Unofficial [whatever Bethesda game we're talking about] Patch” mod is usually a good start.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I would also throw in Sim Settlements. It looks like a lot at first, but it manages itself pretty easily, and gives a lot of flair.

You may also want to consider one of those sleeping rolls / camping mods, if you are not interested in base building or scouting for beds.

If you have VR, try that. It's lovely.

Really, I've planned entire expeditions in survival FO4 just to get large amounts of specific, like ceramic and screws that I needed to build things. You'll quickly learn which factories, offices, and hardware store you can feasibly raid for what, and how to best deal with the threats in there.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

I would also throw in Sim Settlements. It looks like a lot at first, but it manages itself pretty easily, and gives a lot of flair.

You may also want to consider one of those sleeping rolls / camping mods, if you are not interested in base building or scouting for beds.

If you have VR, try that. It's lovely.

Really, I've planned entire expeditions in survival FO4 just to get large amounts of specific, like ceramic and screws that I needed to build things. You'll quickly learn which factories, offices, and hardware store you can feasibly raid for what, and how to best deal with the threats in there.

Is there a mod for the original F4 that lets you pick up stuff and actually interact with the world as VR was intented to do like for Skyrim? I remember the official implementation of VR being very lackluster in Skyrim, but fixed with mods, never looked if they improved it in F4.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Kikas posted:

Is there a mod for the original F4 that lets you pick up stuff and actually interact with the world as VR was intented to do like for Skyrim? I remember the official implementation of VR being very lackluster in Skyrim, but fixed with mods, never looked if they improved it in F4.

Now that you mention it, I did use VR mods. I would have to Google around though. I think your best bet is to ask for recommendations in the fo4vr subreddit, or FO4 if the vr reddit has no activity (it is quite old by now).

Edit: just remembered, the reason that fo4vr has its own sub is that fo4vr is a different branch than FO4. There will be mods that aren't compatible. Usually has to do with script extenders and such. But back then most of the stuff I looked at worked flawlessly.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Randalor posted:

So Pisscat is just Crobert's personal toilet, of his own volition, right? That's what I'm getting from that wall of text. That is either someone who is so far up Crobert's rear end that he tastes the food as Croberts chews it, or is an epic-level troll.

Edit: Also, couldn't you already shoot through gaps in fences in the original Farcry?

"Shooting through gaps in fences" is such an old thing that it's not even worth listing the games that do that. Any vaguely 'serious' FPS has supported this for a very long time. I also don't know what he's talking about in regards to the collision mesh conforming to the model. Hit-boxes have not been "big cube that encloses the player model" for a very long time in games where it matters.
An article that I quickly found about hitboxes points out that Monster Hunter has had hitboxes that conform to the player and monster models since 2009. Monster Hunter is not an outlier.
Like, he might as well be talking gleefully about how Star Citizen has actual reload animations instead of "those other games" where the gun just disappears off-screen and comes back reloaded.

This guy is so full of poo poo I find it hard to believe he's genuine, but I also find it hard to believe any troll could dedicate so much time to writing these enormously long posts full of crap every single day.
He's an unknowable force of bullshit.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Kikas posted:

Fo4 in VR is… an experience. Yes, you can interact with just about everything, and it actually does something weird to the experience. Someone else will have to explain the cognitive reasons, but being in the world the way VR lets you makes you far more aware of all the stuff in it. As it happens in Fo4, being aware of that stuff is… well… sort of the whole point. It's that looting system again, given a huge injection. You also notice all the ridiculous detail they've put into the world (as opposed to spending more time on, oh, writing and speech options) — stuff you'd probably never notice or pay attention to in pancake mode.

…also, a lot of the silliness goes away. It turns out a 3m tall mutated combat chameleon is pretty loving scary up close, as are huge scorpions and mega-flies. In fact, all monsters feel a lot more monstrous, and the whole world feels a lot more post-apocalyptic. It's quite neat. But by virtue of placing you in the world and presenting it to your brain in a proper 1:1 scale, you notice that scale and how small the world actually is. Out in the open world, it becomes very obvious how close every place is to everything else. It's not until you get into downtown Boston and the houses break your sight line that the world seems large again.

The VR implementation also suffers a bit when it comes to combat, and especially the way many sights work. Specifically, they'd really don't. But it varies a lot with the type, and while holographic sights work almost exactly as they should, they also tend to blend with the background so you don't know if you're lined up properly anyway. Magnifying scopes are even weirder. The more exciting part is how the pipboy no longer pauses the game, and the whole VATS-slowmo becomes a bit mindbending. You have to take a rather different approach to combat.

It also introduces a few fun… bugs? Unintended consequences? Like how your face is the primary collision body but you can phase your hands through almost anything, meaning that you can suddenly reach (and interact with) stuff that's supposed to be behind solid obstacles. That cryolator the game teases early on but which you can't get because there's no way you have the proper level of lockpicking yet (and later on, you learn that it's useless anyway)? Just reach inside the case and grab it. That skyrim-door bar that keeps you from bypassing the whole dungeon? Reach through and activate it. Oh, and that house that you're meant to only get into with a late-game jetpack (or to find the back exit to so you have to go through an entire dugeon)? Just use the teleport movement system that's there to prevent motion sickness and aim through a window. Bamf! There you go — bypassed.

Oh, and it's entirely possible to get the DLCs to work in VR even though (at leats initially, maybe it has changed by now) it's only meant to be the base game. But you'll definitely want to slap a couple of compatibility mods on top of that or you'll come across a slew of graphics issues, such as there being no visible walkable ground in large portions of Nuka World and Far Harbour.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

The citizen obsession with their imaginary jesus tech is hilarious, especially given the usual framerate they experience these things at.

Meanwhile, in the world of actual games, I feel like I actually did just experience some kind of jesus tech playing the PC version of Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart which just dropped. The rate at which it loads assets using Microsoft's DirectStorage API stuff feels literally impossible in certain places.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 27, 2023

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Shazback posted:

?? What is this about?

Sounds a bit like a weird way to describe the workflow of baking details from a hires model to a low resolution one used by the game engine.

This technique was popularized by Doom 3.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Tippis posted:

e: Coincidentally, Shadows of Doubt is a really good game, doing a significant portion of what's supposedly unique about SC, made by a team of six.
That game sounds pretty neat, might have to check it out now.

I love finding out about other, cooler games from this thread.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fidelitious posted:

"Shooting through gaps in fences" is such an old thing that it's not even worth listing the games that do that. Any vaguely 'serious' FPS has supported this for a very long time. I also don't know what he's talking about in regards to the collision mesh conforming to the model. Hit-boxes have not been "big cube that encloses the player model" for a very long time in games where it matters.
An article that I quickly found about hitboxes points out that Monster Hunter has had hitboxes that conform to the player and monster models since 2009. Monster Hunter is not an outlier.
Like, he might as well be talking gleefully about how Star Citizen has actual reload animations instead of "those other games" where the gun just disappears off-screen and comes back reloaded.

This guy is so full of poo poo I find it hard to believe he's genuine, but I also find it hard to believe any troll could dedicate so much time to writing these enormously long posts full of crap every single day.
He's an unknowable force of bullshit.

They haven't played games since the early 90s and don't remember them, either. Remember how impressive Half Life 2 was when it came out? They don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Dwarf Fortress (2006) has an infinitely more detailed character health system than Star Citizen

Chris you took too many shortcuts and now the game has to die