Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Comrade Koba posted:

Alright, so I dug up granddad's book and read through the relevant chapters. The thing to keep in mind is that this isn't a day-by-day war diary like some of the others posted in this thread, but rather a bunch of recollections of stuff that happened during the war years. There will probably be omissions of stuff that would be of interest to milhist nerds, as well as detailed accounts of stuff that's not really that interesting. I'll simply write the text up the way it's presented.
I'll do my best at an English translation, but keep in mind that the text was originally written in German, then (not quite perfectly) translated to Swedish by my grandfather (he emigrated to Sweden in the 1950's). Sadly, I don't have access to the original German text, so you'll be getting a translation of a translation. This probably means I'll get a bunch of things (military terms, etc) wrong, but hopefully you'll get the general meaning anyway.

So far I've gotten the first part done and will post it later tonight.

Another thing: My grandfather was practically a hoarder when it came to documents and photographs. I know he had several albums of wartime photos, as well as a whole bunch of letters, medal citations and various other official and private documents. I don't know where all this stuff is at the moment (probably in a basement somewhere), but I'll try to get ahold of some of it. If we're lucky, there might be pictures accompanying some of the future updates.

Photos are important to keep, make sure they don't rot in a basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

I've been telling my relatives for 10+ years that they need to get all that poo poo organized and digitized, but it seems it'll never happen unless I do it myself. :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/H4N8f2V.gifv

Did medieval India not have the trebuchet?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

BalloonFish posted:

Yes. And it wasn't just some doctrinal guff about retaining the offensive spirit and elan. When the Western Front stalemated in 1914 the Germans deliberately settled their position on the high ground, being willing to drop back a few miles (or make a concerted advance if needed) to end up with the height advantage. As well as the age-old tactical advantages of line of sight, artillery range and having your enemy attack uphill, it had geological advantages. Flanders and northwestern France is ridges or isolated hills of chalk above low-lying fields of clay and loam. So the Germans were not only willing to put the effort into building superior trench systems but they were dryer and more pleasant (less unpleasant, really) to be in and the chalk hills meant you could engineer deep, large and dry bunkers and tunnels which would just flood and collapse if you tried the same thing on the plains.

The Allies did dial down on the 'you're only here until the advance can continue, so this shell crater or roadside drainage ditch will do', adapted their standard trench digging methods and brought in geologists and hydrologists to recommend ways of minimising the squalor. But they were always victims of their position more than anything else.

Everyone's favorite poilu Louis Barthas did say that the French also had deep, well ventilated, dry bunkers. Reserved for the officers, of course, not the common swine.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

zoux posted:

Is it wrong that I saw that and my only real complaint is you don't cut the rope on a catapult?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Your first thought should really be GIVE ME THE NAME OF THAT FILM.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Your first thought should really be GIVE ME THE NAME OF THAT FILM.

Don't leave us hanging...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Baahubali 2. It's on Netflix.

https://streamable.com/gheqj

Are there primary sources attesting to the success of the Flying Six Man Testudo?

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 15, 2017

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

SlothfulCobra posted:

Is it wrong that I saw that and my only real complaint is you don't cut the rope on a catapult?

They are using a bent tree, such an ad hoc catapult system would need a rope.cutting style release mechanism

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
indian movies loving rule with no question

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

9/10 but he should have combined it with the scene from lord of the rings where legolas surfboards down a flight of stairs on a shield and does a sweet kickflip to launch it into an orc's face at the end.

But yes seconding that Indian cinema is the pinnacle of moving pictures as an artform.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

OwlFancier posted:

9/10 but he should have combined it with the scene from lord of the rings where legolas surfboards down a flight of stairs on a shield and does a sweet kickflip to launch it into an orc's face at the end.

But yes seconding that Indian cinema is the pinnacle of moving pictures as an artform.

That is The Miami Connection sir.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

P-Mack posted:

That means giving more of France to the Hun. Or in the case of the BEF, handing over the last sliver of Free Belgium. Politically they were in a much tougher position.

Key point to note - by and large the Allies did try to choose sensible positions for their fixed lines, albeit there are some places where to have a line running from A to B you just have to have troops at C, where you can't achieve more than shell-holes.

Conditions were at their worst during offensives - when you are in a 12 week effort to move the line forwards there's no falling back from where the last attack consolidated at because you'll just have to come back and do it all over again - you have to grit and bear it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I see you didn't watch the clip

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait that's a clip? Watching now.

E:

Ok, 10/10.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 15, 2017

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If anybody wants to read the USS Hornet's internal newspaper from 1944, clicky

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hey, I bet this has been gone over before but can anyone recommend a good high elf army composition for the final vortex battle? I play on Normal difficulty and usually just use multiple stacks of low-level infantry/archers with a couple of bolt-throwers along for the ride but that doesn't seem to be cutting it for the last fight.

e: gently caress, wrong thread. I assume you're all gonna recommend a mix of landschnects, tank destroyers, and bears.

Bear destroyers riding landsknechts

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Nebakenezzer posted:

If anybody wants to read the USS Hornet's internal newspaper from 1944, clicky

quote:

Foster, GM1c, home on leave was sitting with his cat before the fire. His wife had to go and visit some relatives and warned him to keep an eye on the fire.

She went out. The Gunner fell asleep. Two hours passed. The fire died. The wife returned. She took one look at her husband snoring before the dead fire and screamed: "Fire!"

Foster leapt to attention, tore open the door of the oven, rammed in the cat, slammed the door and cried: "Number one gun ready!"

This made me laugh harder than I'd like to admit.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

zoux posted:

Seems legit.gifv

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 15th Dec 1917 posted:

Our heavies shelled Circus Point today for half an hour (30 6" shells). One of the enemy was seen to leave one of the dugouts, and fall, apparently hit. No lights of any kind were sent up during the shelling. 2/Lt. LOW and 2/Lt. CAMPBELL carried out a joint patrol with 22 men.
Results of the patrol. There are no posts outside wire around CIRCUS POINT. Wire defences S.E. of CIRCUS POINT consist of wooden pickets with waist high wire, also concertina; STRONG.
It is not possible to go round behind CIRCUS POINT from S.W. without cutting wire. Coughing was heard from P.1.d.85.90. Usual work of improvement of posts etc was carried on.

JcDent posted:

The goon who's doing the WWI battalion journal posts is in December 1917 and the British trenches are still "reinforced shell holes?" That gives them less than a year to get normal movie trenches going, what the gently caress? How were the British so bad at trenches?

They're currently about 4 miles S.E. of Ypres (I wish I'd known this in August when we were visiting the area - went to Sanctuary Wood which is only a mile away). The battle of Third Ypres (a.k.a. Passchendaele) just recently ended and this is right at the South end of the area involved. Looking at the position of the front line it was maybe a quarter of a mile ahead of where it started the battle in August. The location was also part of the advance (at the North end, this time) during the battle of Messines Ridge in June.

There was a lot of rain during this Autumn.

Others have already pointed out the salient points. Deep "movie" trenches were more prevalent in the drier ground to the South, but anywhere the line was static for any length of time they would of course improve the line they were holding. The Ypres lines started out by chance, pretty much, but the Germans, on the defensive, were able to pick their positions and the Entente politically had to attack. The area around the city was hot all through the war - I described it to our eldest (11) as the entire population of the city of Exeter (closest city to home) being killed, every 3 months, for the whole period of the war - and this just in the vicinity of Ypres.

Things did change a relatively large amount a few times. Further South in the Somme area the Germans withdrew to the Hindenburg Line of fortifications in early 1917 to shorten their lines. This was the same ground over which they advanced in Operation Michael in March 1918.

TL;DR : they had movie trenches, but every time they tried to move General Melchett's drinks trolley six inches towards Berlin they had to start work on them again from scratch.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

What's the best way to preserve an old photo?

I've inherited an old photo of my grandfather's grandfather (taken sometime in the late 19th century), and it's slowly rotting up in my attic.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

What's the best way to preserve an old photo?

I've inherited an old photo of my grandfather's grandfather (taken sometime in the late 19th century), and it's slowly rotting up in my attic.
First thing is to get it out of the attic. Ideally you want it in a location where its' cool and dry with a stable temperature.

Then you'll want to get some kind of archival grade, acid-free and pH-neutral folder or sleeve for it - best if you can get a sleeve and then put it in a folder. Alternatively a chemically inert bag or envelope would work as well. If you can keep light off it as much as possible, that will help it last. You can still take it out to show it, but the less handling and exposure the better.

I would also see if you can get it digitized and then retouched, that way you have a copy you can put in a frame for display, while keeping the original safe.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Matilda III and IV in the USSR

Queue: 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, Renault FT, Somua, SU-122, SU-122M, KV-13 to IS, T-60 factory #37, D.W. and VK 30.01(H), Wespe and other PzII SPGs, Pz38(t) in the USSR, Prospective French tanks, Medium Tank M7, Churchill II-IV, GAZ-71 and GAZ-72, Production and combat of the KV-1S, L-10 and L-30, Strv m/21, Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951, Pz.Sfl.V Sturer Emil, PzII Ausf. G-H, Marder III, Pershing trials in the USSR, Tiger study in the USSR, PIAT, SU-76, Heavy tanks M6, M6A1, and T1E1, SAu 40 and other medium SPGs, IS-2 (Object 234) and other Soviet heavy howitzer tanks, T-70B, SU-152, T-26 improved track projects, Object 238 and other improvements on the KV-1S, Lee and Grant tanks in British service, Matilda, T26E4 Super Pershing, GMC M12, PzII Ausf. J, VK 30.01(P)/Typ 100/Leopard, VK 36.01(H), Luchs, Leopard, and other recon tanks, PzIII Ausf. G trials in the USSR, SU-203, 105 mm howitzer M2A1

Available for request:

:ussr:
IM-1 squeezebore cannon
45 mm M-6 gun
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5 NEW

:britain:
25-pounder
Cruiser Tank Mk.I
Valentine III and V

:911:
37 mm Anti-Tank Gun M3
Gun Motor Carriage M8
36 inch Little David mortar
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR

:godwin:
15 cm sIG 33
10.5 cm leFH 18
7.5 cm LG 40
10.5 cm LG 42
Tiger (P)
Stahlhelm in WWI
Stahlhelm in WWII
Pz.Sfl.IVc
PzIII Ausf. E and F
Ferdinand NEW

:italy:
Semovente L40 da 47/32

:poland:
47 mm wz.25 infantry gun
7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

First thing is to get it out of the attic.
I would also see if you can get it digitized and then retouched, that way you have a copy you can put in a frame for display, while keeping the original safe.
Digitization is the big one. A lot of old photos were made with chemical techniques that will fade whatever you do. Get a copy that won’t degrade.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Cyrano4747 posted:

Digitization is the big one. A lot of old photos were made with chemical techniques that will fade whatever you do. Get a copy that won’t degrade.

And then BACK THAT poo poo UP!

Hard drives die.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

GotLag posted:

And then BACK THAT poo poo UP!

Hard drives die.

:yayclod: preferably in case your house floods or w/e.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

As promised, here's the first part I've written up from granddad's memoirs. It's a bit short, but there's more to come.

One thing to remember when reading these updates: Unlike all the other Germans who were "only following orders" and "never really liked the Nazis" or "just did as they were told", my grandfather was an unrepentant Nazi well into his fifties. He changed a whole lot later on (I'll write more about this later), but keep this in mind for the moment. Now and then in the text there's the occasional "NOT ALL GERMANS!"-style rambling tangent, but I won't be including those. If you're curious, just go to 4chan or Reddit, it's basically the same dumb poo poo that gets posted over there.

Since I'm not including the parts about his childhood and adolescence, here's the tl;dr version:

My grandfather was born in Berlin in 1921, the eldest of two sons. His father worked at the stock exchange, so the family was fairly well-off but not wealthy in any way. As a child he was in the Hitlerjugend, which I distinctly remember him describing at one point as being basically non-stop Boy Scout Fun Times. In 1938 he applied to be an officer cadet in the Kriegsmarine, but was turned down because the amount of applicants was too high. He then wanted to apply to the Luftwaffe as a pilot , but was convinced by his parents to apply as a communications officer instead (they'd witnessed an airplane crash up close on one occasion and wanted him to remain on the ground). He did eventually become a pilot anyway, but more on that later.

Early in 1939 he was drafted into the Reichsarbeitsdienst (National Labour Service), where he did construction work for a few months. In july that same year, the unit recieved some basic firearms training and were transported to the Polish border. The official explanation at first was that they were to defend the border in case of attack by "militant Polish partisans". :rolleyes:

Well, we all know what then happened on September 1, 1939.

quote:

1. Poland

I remember September 1, 1939 very well. We had been issued yellow armbands with the words “Deutsche Wehrmacht” printed in black, as well as bayonets but no firearms. The day before, we’d marched to the border along with a platoon of elderly Landsturm soldiers (all veterans of the First World War) and remained there. We could clearly see the infantry beginning to march on, across the border.
The sunrise on this September 1 was cloudless. We stood near the border crossing. The infantry had already crossed over, and we could only see their supply train. This was mainly composed of horse-drawn vehicles. I remember noticing that the harnesses on the horses all looked brand new. By the light of the rising sun, this panorama was almost unreal – but, sadly, would soon turn out to be real enough.
My RAD-unit, now known as the 2:nd construction company, 3:rd construction battalion now wore the yellow armbands marking us as belonging to the Wehrmacht. Legally speaking, we were now considered to be combatants.
We began marching. At the head of the column rode the company commander, Oberfeldmeister Warnke. This felt completely surreal – a commanding officer riding on horseback at the head of his unit in wartime was the sort of thing that only happened in the movies. I have never witnessed something like this ever again. This Oberfeldmeister, perhaps a little too corpulent, was pretty comfortable on his horse while everyone else – officers, NCO:s and all the rest of us – had to march. Soon, the horse-drawn supply vehicle following us was full of people suffering from “bad feet”. The rest of us carried shovels across our shoulders, as well as backpacks with our blankets rolled up on top of them. In this manner we marched for about 20-30 kilometers each day. I remember dozing off during the marching and waking up when my nose slammed into the backpack of the man in front of me. Whenever there was a period of rest, you couldn’t take your boots off. Then your feet would swell up at once, and it would be hard or impossible to put your footwraps back on the right way.

After the first day of marching we were billeted in an old barn. I have no memory of laying down in the hay, but I remember waking up the next morning – backpack still on – and aching all over my body. We never had any contact with the enemy (thank God, since we were practically unarmed). Liaison with the other companies in the construction battalion was maintained by orderlies on motorcycles. There was no wireless communication at all in our battalion. One of our orderlies went missing one day, and we later heard he’d gotten himself lost and fallen into the hands of the Poles, who made a real mess of him before killing him.
After two or three days on the march we reached a small city, Borek, and were billeted in a school. There we were given a few days of rest and the opportunity to send and receive letters. I received a letter from my father telling me that I’d been accepted as a cadet with the air force communication troops (Luftnachrichtentruppe) and that I had to report as soon as possible to the Luftwaffe communication school in Halle. I went with this letter to the company registry, but was laughed out of there. I wrote back to my father about my troubles and asked him to turn to the Reichsluftfartsministerium (Reich Air Ministry). A week or so later, for some reason they couldn’t send me off to Halle quickly enough.

During this time, I experienced an incident that could have meant the end of my military career. My Vormann (Corporal), a disgusting man with a pig-like face, had made my life hard several times before (most likely because he’d heard I’d been admitted into officer training). If my boots weren’t polished enough, my uniform wasn’t clean enough or my blanket not folded according to regulations.
One morning after roll call I wanted to ask his permission to visit the company registry to arrange a few minor matters regarding my transfer to the air force communication troops. This Vormann was possibly dissatisfied with the distance between him and me (I was standing at attention in front of him), and he took three large marching steps towards me before stepping down with full force on my toes with the steel-shod heel of his boot. The pain was unbelievable and so intense that by pure reflex I grabbed this miserable excuse of a man by the jacket and pushed him up against the wall of the school lavatories, where he promptly fell. He pulled himself up and shouted at me, “You’ll hear about this!”.
I felt shivers. An aspiring officer cadet assaulting a superior officer by the front line – possibly the worst disciplinary crime imaginable. I assumed that I’d be arrested on the sport and court-martialed – but nothing happened. The Vormann avoided me, and I him. My comrades who’d witnessed the incident said nothing, because not one of them could stand him. If the matter had been properly investigated, I’m sure I’d have been punished and possibly sent off to a penal battalion. In any case, a career as an officer would have been out of the question.

A few days later I received a marching order to the Reich Air Ministry in Berlin, where I had to report by telephone upon my arrival. I traveled by horse-cart to the closest railway station. What later became of the 3:rd construction battalion I do not know, nor have I ever particularly cared. By train I went to Breslau, where another train took me on to Berlin.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Comrade Koba posted:

Reichsluftfartsministerium

Heh.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This may be a bit late, but I have an ad on to make to the grandfather chat. I forget who it was who actually posted that their grandfather ended up as a prisoner of war and sent to the US as labor, but like with almost everything at the time in the US, it turns out that this was another fun part in the hilariously hosed up story of racism in the US. Going from NAACP records, it actually become a complaint of the black population in the south that this forced labor was used as a way to make them redundant. While this is not really surprising, however this was a note attached to a letter of complaint sent from one of the army bases in Florida. So one of the uses of these prisoners of war was to be used as catering staff at this particular camp and at the time while the camp wasn't completely full, a relatively decent cafeteria had been assigned German prisoners to run it in serving food to black soldiers. In a sane world this would be a hilarious story of comeuppance for racist assholes, but what ended up happening was that the black soldiers were forced to use a different dining hall because the prisoners had complained to the head of the camp that it was degrading to have to serve a lesser race like this.

From a general research perspective I was quite glad to have found this. During my initial research, as this was for a paper I was doing for class, I had found an article that made reference to the hosed up social dynamic in the south when it came to prisoners of war getting treated better then African American men who had signed up/been drafted to fight and die for the US. I was slightly iffy about including it in my paper as the article had said that it wasn't exactly clear if this was just a rumor that seemed so likely that many black vets brought into the idea that it actually happened, so actually finding evidence about this issue was quite useful. Some other highlights of what I found was a quote from another black soldier saying "Lord, this army is providing me with an experience which I shall never forget. … Never shall I condemn tyranny abroad without condemning that at home. The United States cannot honestly boast of its freedom. In New York I questioned its truth. In the south I condemn it as hypocrisy. “We are not free. We are only tolerated." And an English serviceman being confused and slightly offended when he was instructed to be "friendly but not too friendly." to black serviceman as this had proven to be too much for southern soldiers to take as their attempts to 'educate' the locals that black soldiers were barely better then animals who were routinely chained up back at their camp failed to stick. Of course this isn't to say that England wasn't racist it was just not as bad as the US.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 16th Dec 1917 posted:

2/Lt. MARSHALL and 2 O.R.reconnoitred the ground from TOP HOUSE to FUNNY FARM.
Work of improving and cleaning posts was carried on. Wiring was continued on all posts.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I’ve been reading along this thread for years now but haven’t posted much, but grandpa chat made me remember that I have something worth posting. Alot of it isn’t strictly military history, but it’s way too good to not post. I wanted to get this in last week but it took me awhile to get the digital versions from my mom. I was going to ask if anyone is interested but fuckit :justpost:

My maternal grandfather was in the US Navy during WWII, serving on the USS Tinsman, a Rudderow class destroyer escort. I knew about this growing up but didn’t have many of the details except little anecdotes that I heard over the years, until grandpa was cleaning out his house a few years ago and came across a bunch of papers he’d kept since then. My mom being a huge nerd immediately decided that all of this needed to be digitized and recorded, which is how I have all of this now.

Here’s the man himself, Seaman 2/c at the ripe age of 18. This picture is a bit weird for me since he looks amazingly like me and one of my cousins. Since he was so young during the war, and by some stroke of luck, he’s still alive and amazingly spry. His hearing’s shot to hell but he’s all there mentally. I helped him build a shed last summer where he was pounding in 3in nails by hand all afternoon, then we went out for beers. It was awesome.

If anyone has any questions that I can pass along I’d be happy to ask them, I’ll be staying over at his place for Christmas next week.

The rest of this was created by my mom from the documents grandpa found, so I’ll just copy-paste from the book from here. All of this is taken directly from the typed up and collated book she put together and had printed as christmas gifts a few years back:

xDx’s mom posted:

This book is a compilation of the personal war mementos of xDx’s grandpa. It started as a project to transcribe the ‘Combat Dope Sheets’ into a more readable format, since the originals are somewhat faded. The term ‘dope’ is slang for ‘information,’ and the Dope Sheets chronicle the travels of the U.S.S. Tinsman. I have attempted to recreate them in a format as close to the original as possible, including typos, grammatical errors, and the original artwork. Dad remembers that these were put together primarily by Robert Bland, who was an officer on the Tinsman, but I suspect others contributed due to differences in writing style and some repetition here and there. The author refers to himself as COMBAT at times in the narrative. The dope sheets are pretty remarkable, especially considering they were created on a manual typewriter. They are part travel guide, geology report, history lesson, and story-telling, sometimes all within the same paragraph. They are very entertaining, and it has been a rare treat to have a glimpse of the crew’s wartime experience from their viewpoint.
-xDx’s mom

Sweet sweet dazzle camo.

The Captain

The Bastards

“C” Div.

2nd Deck Div

1st Deck Div

“O” Div

“E” Div

Cooks and Bums

COMBAT DOPE SHEET #1 Panama City

COMBAT posted:

The Canal was started by the French in 1882 and by 1904, they were so discouraged that they sold their shovels to the U. S. for a song – yellow fever and landslides in “Culebra Cut” had ‘em licked. U. S. rented a slab of land 10 miles wide from the Republic of Panama (at 10 million fish per annum and our lease expires midnight Dec 31, 2103. The first job was to eliminate the mosquito in the zone – which was done, as you recall, by Dr. GOETHALS. All stagnant water and breeding places were destroyed. GATUN LAKE was artificially made by damming a river – then when they had a good pressure built up a few sticks of dynamite well placed in the continental divide started the landslide that was later shaped into “CULEBRA CUT”. Many landslides set the work back years – as a matter of fact you‘d better hold your breath when we go thru it because they‘re still working on the job of holding those mountains back. The locks are double- barrelled – each lock being 1000 feet by 110 feet – and can be worked either together or in reverse (They may even put another ship in the lock with us) The canal is 50 miles long, 45 feet deep. Anywhere from 50 -70 ships can go thru the canal each day, and the trip takes 7 1⁄2 hours. The record trip was made by a PT that jumped right over the locks – 4 hours and 10 minutes for the whole trip! On the Pacific side PANAMA CITY rests high above the sea. A Spanish-American city started in 1518— lots of overhanging balconies, Chinese shops, East India stores, and stuff— Pop. 75,000. The Atlas says it has fine churches, banks, and a college.

COMBAT DOPE SHEET #2 Galapagos Islands

COMBAT posted:

If you wanted to pick one of the best spots in the world to plant a victory garden, the GALAPAGOS ISLANDS (pronounced gaa-laa-gose) would be it. This group of 15 main islands was born out of the eruptions and overflow of thousands of roaring volcanoes, and the black lava, once it cooled down, make an excellent soil. Of course you‘d better peer over the rim of the volcano before you settle down on your island because some of the volcanoes are not yet extinct. Some were last seen belching smoke, fire, and lava in 1942. If you manage to find a nice house-broken volcano, you can settle down to some fancy radish-raising in the valley, provided you have a couple of oxen to haul water for you during the dry season. If after all these precautions you still cannot raise a full-grown radish, there is another recourse for you- you can use the same oxen but instead of barrels you‘ll need a shovel and cart. For, swarming around these islands are many, many pure white seagulls, untained by civilization – sea-gulls that are so clean and fine that their manure is a thing of beauty and refinement, and may be used for the fertilization of the daintiest of daisies. This unique stuff is called "guano"; and is simply shoveled off the rocks, where these well-trained birds deposit in an orderly fashion. At one time a less clean species of sea-gull began to hang around the islands, but the thoroughbreds were forced to chase them away because of the inferior quality of their ex(c)retion. They were simply lousin‘ up the stuff.

It is 700 miles east of ECUADOR, to whom the islands belong. The simple fact that trade winds prevail from the southwest has a profound effect on the islands – this is how: the winds, which are heavily- laden with moisture, sweep up the southern sides of the mountains and as they rise are cooled, which causes them to precipitate and lose their moisture. Result: bases of mountains are dry – cactus and scrubby grass. Above 800 feet, where the rain starts to fall, rich grass, brush, trees. And then on the northern sides – mostly barren and desert to lava – (the winds are dry as they sweep down the northern slopes and vegetation is starved.)

The islands also are a meeting place for the warm 80 degree current from Panama, and the cool 60 degree currents from Chile. The cool, swift moving current hauls the temperature down and makes the islands very very livable despite the fact they are on the equator. The rich lava fields yield great quantities of sulphur – which is needed in petroleum refining, paper, rayon, explosives, fertilizers, coal- tar dyes. Practically none is exported however – the islands are too remote. In 1938 there was only one broken down dock in the whole group. Total population of islands: about 1500 souls. Metropolis is PROGRESSO (500 pop. with radio station) located on San Cristobal Islands. We are headed for SANTA CRUZ ISLAND, which had 70 people on it in 1938. We should drop the hook in a nice clean white sand harbor that is practically filthy with fish. Might be able to get some fresh water from ashore, but it will taste like rotten eggs (sulphur) and will raise hell with the boilers. On the rich southern slopes sugarcane, cotton vegetables, fruits and grains are grown in abundance. On some of the islands, cattle, goats, horses, and pigs have been imported. Although the coast is very rocky, there are stretches of sandy beach at various place. You can pick your color to fit your mood; we have black, red, or white sand beaches.

COMBAT DOPE SHEET #3 South Sea Islands

COMBAT posted:

FORGET THE SMOKE AND NOISE OF THE CITY, AND THE BUSY TOIL OF FARM AND FACTORY, AND FLY ON THE MAGIC CARPET OF THE "TINSMAN"; ALONG THE GODEN TRAIL OF THE SETTING SUN, WHICH LEADS OVER THE BLUE VASTNESS OF THE PACIFIC TO THE ENCHANTED ISLANDS OF ROMANCE. (P.S. and don‘t forget this would cost you 3000 bucks in peacetime)

“It is not on the shores of America or Asia or Australia that you will find the soul of the great Pacific, it lies far out where those fabled "South Sea Isles"; are scattered over the vast expanse like stars in the sky. There, where the monster fires at the heart of the earth have thrust great mountains and volcanoes above the waters, and where tiny coral creatures with ceaseless labor have crowned the ocean with countless coronets of rainbow hues, the fairyland of dreams come true. The very air that sweeps these islands is fragrant with flowers and spice. Bright warm days and clear cool nights follow each other in eternal procession, while the rolling swells break in never-ending roar on the dazzling shores, and overhead the slender coco-palms whisper their soft and drowsy song. Truly this great sea deserves its name, given by Magellan, of the Pacific, or “peaceful” ocean.

In 1513 the first white man, Balboa, gazed upon the Pacific Ocean. Far westward from his hill in Panama were the thousands of islands, the “Milky Way”, where life was virtually a paradise on earth. The tall, handsome islanders were like children who never grew up. Coconuts and breadfruit grew wild at their doors, fish and turtles were abundant, clothing was virtually unnecessary, and disease was practically unknown.

Then came Magellan, Vasco de Gama, James Cook, the explorers. On their heels came traders, seeking copra (dried coconut meat), trepan (sea cucumber), pearls, tortoise shell, and sandalwood. Whalers and sealers used the islands for supply. These ships, with their half-pirate crews, treated the natives badly, brought whiskey, and spread disease. Deserters and ship-wrecked sailors became "beach-combers"; and raised themselves to evil, fraudulent leadership in many islands. They kidnapped natives for labor in South America and Australia. And so it has been until today: native culture is disappearing; crafts have given way to the mechanical world – thatched roofs to sheet metal, scant but colorful clothing to cheap cotton, native religion to Christianity. The islands have been crushed by the white man‘s diseases: tuberculosis, small-pox, measles, leprosy, etc. The Marquesas, most handsome of all islanders, have been reduced from a population of 50,000 in 1850 to less than 3,500 today. In 1790, nine mutineers from the famous “Bounty”, with 6 Polynesian men and 12 Polynesian women, fled to remote Pitcairn Island to escape the law. They burned their ship and built homes. Soon they were cutting each others throats and in 10 years one Englishman, John Adams, 8 women, and a few children were left.

“POLYNESIA” (“many islands”): here the true South Sea romance swells. People came from Asia in huge canoes 3000 years ago. Tall, well-built, handsome men, beautiful women: intelligent, friendly, highly advanced social groups. Very skilled navigators – going thousands of miles in outrigger canoes with only the stars to guide them. Paging Mr. Porter. POLYNESIA includes Hawaii, Fiji, Samoa, Ellice, Tokelau (boldest swimmers in the world; men and women swim out to sea to attack sharks, armed only with long knives), Tonga or Friendly Islands (wonderful political organization),Cook Islands, Marquesas (surpass all other islanders in beauty), and your destination: the SOCIETY ISLANDS – famous for beautiful and romantic Tahiti.

“MICRONESIA” (“small islands”) closely packed tiny volcanic and coral and volcanic islands. Mixed black, brown, and yellow races. Includes the Marianas, Pelew, the Carolines (very strange prehistoric ruins), Marshalls (boldest, most skillful avigators of Pacific), Gilberts (noted for fierce cruelty of inhabitants).

“MELANISIA” (“islands of the blacks”): most energetic, industrious, and least civilized of islands. Very dark skin, thick lips, curly hair – spiked noses, thin waists. Includes volcanic New Britain and New Ireland, Solomons (most savage and uncivilized), Santa Cruz (poison arrow artists), New Hebrides, New Caledonia (old French convict colony), and the Loyalty Islands.

WATCH FOR #4 BORA BORA!

This keeps going through COMBAT DOPE SHEET #19. Most of them are more like the first 3, but as the mighty TINSMAN gets further into the war there's more war news included.

edit: fixed img problems

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 16, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
First image is broken.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Those are cool as gently caress please immediately post all of them

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Those are cool as gently caress please immediately post all of them

It'll take me some time to get it all together, it took at least an hour to do that post. I'll try to hammer out a set every day or so.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A friend of mine is home for Christmas and found this shaving mug - likely belonged to her grandparents:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That sheet is pretty dope.

76 mm gun for the Matilda

Queue: Renault FT, Somua, SU-122, SU-122M, KV-13 to IS, T-60 factory #37, D.W. and VK 30.01(H), Wespe and other PzII SPGs, Pz38(t) in the USSR, Prospective French tanks, Medium Tank M7, Churchill II-IV, GAZ-71 and GAZ-72, Production and combat of the KV-1S, L-10 and L-30, Strv m/21, Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951, Pz.Sfl.V Sturer Emil, PzII Ausf. G-H, Marder III, Pershing trials in the USSR, Tiger study in the USSR, PIAT, SU-76, Heavy tanks M6, M6A1, and T1E1, SAu 40 and other medium SPGs, IS-2 (Object 234) and other Soviet heavy howitzer tanks, T-70B, SU-152, T-26 improved track projects, Object 238 and other improvements on the KV-1S, Lee and Grant tanks in British service, Matilda, T26E4 Super Pershing, GMC M12, PzII Ausf. J, VK 30.01(P)/Typ 100/Leopard, VK 36.01(H), Luchs, Leopard, and other recon tanks, PzIII Ausf. G trials in the USSR, SU-203, 105 mm howitzer M2A1

Available for request:

:ussr:
IM-1 squeezebore cannon
45 mm M-6 gun
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5 NEW

:britain:
25-pounder
Cruiser Tank Mk.I
Valentine III and V

:911:
37 mm Anti-Tank Gun M3
Gun Motor Carriage M8
36 inch Little David mortar
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR

:godwin:
15 cm sIG 33
10.5 cm leFH 18
7.5 cm LG 40
10.5 cm LG 42
Tiger (P)
Stahlhelm in WWI
Stahlhelm in WWII
Pz.Sfl.IVc
PzIII Ausf. E and F
Ferdinand NEW

:italy:
Semovente L40 da 47/32

:poland:
47 mm wz.25 infantry gun
7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Nebakenezzer posted:

A friend of mine is home for Christmas and found this shaving mug - likely belonged to her grandparents:

I’ve got a similar porcelain doll thinger from my grandparents with the same stamp.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I feel like this piece of satire was crafted specifically for this thread: http://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/history-channel-documentary-just-world-tanks-livestream/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Comrade Koba posted:

I remember September 1, 1939 very well. We had been issued yellow armbands with the words “Deutsche Wehrmacht” printed in black, as well as bayonets but no firearms. ...

We could clearly see the infantry beginning to march on, across the border.

The sunrise on this September 1 was cloudless. We stood near the border crossing. The infantry had already crossed over, and we could only see their supply train. This was mainly composed of horse-drawn vehicles. I remember noticing that the harnesses on the horses all looked brand new. By the light of the rising sun, this panorama was almost unreal ...

We began marching. At the head of the column rode the company commander, Oberfeldmeister Warnke. This felt completely surreal – a commanding officer riding on horseback at the head of his unit in wartime was the sort of thing that only happened in the movies. I have never witnessed something like this ever again. This Oberfeldmeister, perhaps a little too corpulent, was pretty comfortable on his horse while everyone else – officers, NCO:s and all the rest of us – had to march.

...Whenever there was a period of rest, you couldn’t take your boots off. Then your feet would swell up at once, and it would be hard or impossible to put your footwraps back on the right way.

After the first day of marching we were billeted in an old barn. I have no memory of laying down in the hay, but I remember waking up the next morning – backpack still on – and aching all over my body.
These details are extremely cool: sleeping with his backpack, the brand-new tack on all the horses (think about all that implies: there's a department that requisitioned all of that, and at least one factory that made it, think of all these people and all the countless activities and relationships that had to come together properly to make that many harnesses), his fat Oberfeldmeister. But why did they give them bayonets with no guns?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 17, 2017