Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I would suggest against another Geneva Convention slap fight. Whether or not POW protections apply to spies and saboteurs, cruel behaviour against them in your captivity doesn’t not reflect well on you.

Genuinely, how is correcting people about what is and isnt a war crime relevant? It seems weird to look at a discussion like that and think that its a slap fight. I understand the rule on not rehashing arguments but if anything should be exempt it should be correcting people about this. Its pretty fuckin important in a thread about a war.

the thread moves so fast that its likely a lot of people could only see someone confidently assuring them executing people is fine and not see the correction. ideally this would be cracked down on but i understand not wanting to probe people for just being misinformed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

quarantinethepast posted:

Does anyone remember this short film doing a mock BBC broadcast of a nuclear war?
https://youtu.be/4cAZZR_Jki0
Thank you for re-awakening my PTSD you rear end in a top hat.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

This makes the person subject to the governing military code of the belligerent who captured them, and while they must be treated humanly and given a trial per article 75, they are not subject to any protection of life afforded to a Prisoner of War under the Geneva Protocols.

So really it depends on the military code/laws of the capturing party, and if we look at the UCMJ (the Uniform Code of Military Justice that the United States applies in such cases) being convicted of spying (again by court martial) in a time or war results in a mandatory sentence of death.
As somebody else posted above: If you are caught trying to disguise yourself as a civilian, you basically lose your protections as a military prisoner of war and are instead treated like a civilian breaking the law. So you would not be subject to the UCMJ (or equivalent military laws in other countries), but to the normal criminal laws. Depending on the country this can obviously still be extremely harsh.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1499142093381513217?s=20&t=68i7qsttofMQVpq0Us_qxA

Yeah. I expect the extent of the devastation will wrench my guts when the smoke clears.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

KitConstantine posted:

These two items are almost certainly related

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1499127234153566221?t=x5Law9h_y-Nlq3LIT5gkmQ&s=19
(Trying to find a source on the above, I think it's from the NY times live blog for the Ukrainian invasion)

For the last several days, DOD officials and John Kirby have stated that Russia has elected not to mobilize additional forces. The US assessment is that Russia believes it has the sufficient combat power available to achieve their immediate objectives.

The US has been careful to say that the percentage “committed” to Ukraine does not imply that percentage has culminated or is in contact.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Raenir Salazar posted:

You'd be surprised! Japan accepted a number of jewish refugees during WW2.

in addition to what others have already said about imperial japan internalizing antisemitic propaganda (supposedly in part due to a jewish financier backing japan during the russo-japanese war to spite the pogroms of the tsar), the initial acceptance of the refugees wasn't state policy, it was pretty much solely because one diplomat exceeded his authority (from humanitarian motivations, as i understand), and presented it to his superiors as a fait accompli which they decided not to reverse due to previously discussed warped intake of antisemitic tracts

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Shes Not Impressed posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1499142093381513217?s=20&t=68i7qsttofMQVpq0Us_qxA

Yeah. I expect the extent of the devastation will wrench my guts when the smoke clears.

I can't condemn the Ukrainians for this. Those Russia artillerymen have the choice to fire those guns on civilians, they could always walk away or mutiny. Monstrous.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How are u posted:

I can't condemn the Ukrainians for this. Those Russia artillerymen have the choice to fire those guns on civilians, they could always walk away or mutiny. Monstrous.

Murdering prisoners is still murdering prisoners evwn if they shot first. It may be 'understandable' but is still horrifically wrong.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Well folks we have proof that the Ukrainians don't want peace.

I mean the artillerymen all have peace keeper cards in their pockets

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

in addition to what others have already said about imperial japan internalizing antisemitic propaganda (supposedly in part due to a jewish financier backing japan during the russo-japanese war to spite the pogroms of the tsar), the initial acceptance of the refugees wasn't state policy, it was pretty much solely because one diplomat exceeded his authority (from humanitarian motivations, as i understand), and presented it to his superiors as a fait accompli which they decided not to reverse due to previously discussed warped intake of antisemitic tracts
Sugihara ground out so many drat tourist visas he saved an entire Belorussian yeshiva. Among others! A real hero.

Carnotaurus
Feb 27, 2006

meat-eating bull

How are u posted:

It's a bad idea; you want to incentivize enemy combatants to surrender.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Understandable war crimes are still war crimes, this is horrible PR for Ukraine and is going to impact the number of Russians surrendering.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The tweet appears likely to be just repeating the facebook post discussed earlier.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Murdering prisoners is still murdering prisoners evwn if they shot first. It may be 'understandable' but is still horrifically wrong.

Yes, war is wrong.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

How are u posted:

russians who protest the war are getting imprisoned by the thousands, what do you think will happen to deserters or mutineers? Or worse -- to their families?

besides, the ukrainians are nazis using their own people as human shields, they are told

Theyre still committing war crimes but I bet if you were a russian artilleryman, you'd keep loading shell after shell.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

How are u posted:

They could just shoot them in open conflict, there is zero reason to capture a force, and then shoot them after they've surrendered.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

So I can fire artillery into a city for days on end, and as soon as I see Ukrainian soldiers I can put my hands up and be treated the same as a conscript POW who baled from their tank the first chance they got? Does that seem reasonable or just?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Gonna lay down the gauntlet: Ukraine is wrong to say this, but lets stop debating this. It is a war crime.

Move on to something else other than a slapfight about an obvious "Yes its a war crime"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I hope every effort is made to make this known to Russian units, and that hopefully it will lead to some defections/abandoning posts/whatever.

e: war is hosed up and no ones' hands are fully clean at the end

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 2, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Multiple different things can be simultaneously and independently bad

Shooting surrendering troops is one of those bad things that shouldn't happen

CommieGIR posted:

Gonna lay down the gauntlet: Ukraine is wrong to say this, but lets stop debating this. It is a war crime.

Move on to something else other than a slapfight about an obvious "Yes its a war crime"
doh crosspost

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

One thing I will say is governments are clearly strong enough to seize the personal property of Russian oligarchs. Makes you think what could happen if they were this based when it comes to billionaires and their taxes.

Russian yacht go gently caress yourself

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nothingtoseehere posted:

So I can fire artillery into a city for days on end, and as soon as I see Ukrainian soldiers I can put my hands up and be treated the same as a conscript POW who baled from their tank the first chance they got? Does that seem reasonable or just?

yes, those are the rules of war

they rarely get resolved on the battlefield, sometimes in a court after the war is over, and definitely never on an internet forum full of autodidact voyeurs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ummel posted:

Yes, war is wrong.

In this specific case it isn't war. It is murder. If you can take a prisoner and murder them instead it has nothing to do with war.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Yes. Revenge murder is not just. If for no other reason then it being incredibly unlikely that your captor can tell you from the conscripts who bailed out.

The anger is understandable but war crimes don't stop being war crimes because it makes you feel better

Edit: didn't see the previous post. I'll drop here.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Carnotaurus posted:

It's a bad idea; you want to incentivize enemy combatants to surrender.

What happens if the defenders can't afford to take prisoners because they are forced into a guerrilla style resistance? It's gonna get ugly.
I'll still support them though, a good chunk of post WW2 Italy's identity is based on the concept of partisan resistance after all.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
So I had an interesting conversation with a Maldovian Captain today at school. It was regarding their force structure mainly. I had no idea they had an entire Russian DTG (4 brigades) stationed in their eastern territory since the 90's. That must be a crazy pucker factor.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Raenir Salazar posted:

You'd be surprised! Japan accepted a number of jewish refugees during WW2.

They also have a literal 1.2% refugee acceptance rate, of the few who bother apply.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I've never understood the endless kowtowing to billionaires:

They get a bunch of money constantly thrown at them by governments because "butbutbutbut they'll pick up and leave if we try to go after their wealth!" Except they are not actually taxed at all and are basically just parasites who throw money at politicians to continue the above cycle.

So Russian yacht go gently caress yourself yes plz

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

ummel posted:

Yes, war is wrong.

If only we had a term for things we consider to be terrible even in the context of a war! We could criminalize it, maybe?

im beimg glib because the fact that ive seen multiple people make posts like this in response to "uh this is a war crime" is really loving me up lol

edit: posted this before the modpost but my previous point stands. its hosed up to stamp this out like a slapfignt when its literally people posting that war crimes are acceptable

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jeeves posted:

I've never understood the endless kowtowing to billionaires:

They get a bunch of money constantly thrown at them by governments because "butbutbutbut they'll pick up and leave if we try to go after their wealth!" Except they are not actually taxed at all and are basically just parasites who throw money at politicians to continue the above cycle.

They bribe people. It is as simple as that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

There's no way they'll "collapse" the separatist areas, they are as urban as Ukraine gets, with entrenched Russians. They can, however, sweep north and hit the Russian lines towards Kharkiv from the flank. IIRC according to published maps the eastern counterattacks were roughly in that direction, rather than towards Donetsk or Luhansk

Correct, it was north of Luhansk. They can use that to do a borderline sweep in either direction.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

ReidRansom posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_(sailing_yacht)

I saw it in Reykjavik last summer as we were leaving port and it's as awful as you could imagine a Russian with infinite money would want.

Just offensive to look at, even. Imagine the inside.
Good grief that is hideous.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Silly question, but do the oligarchs have any legal recourse against the governments that seized their properties? Just wondering if there's any risk they can sue for damages?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay now we are past 'warcrimes bad' I think the interesting observation here is that in the last 24 hours we've seen Ukranian public messaging start to fall apart a bit. It's looking less centrally coordinated, different military units are writing their own stuff and putting it up on Facebook and it's getting very hit-and-miss and certainly a lot more cuthroat. Probably parallels the state of the war somewhat.

e: something new tax

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1499143133917069317

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 2, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Poland wants Russia's economy to bleed out faster
https://twitter.com/MorawieckiM/status/1499131916460736512?t=a5dek499WIzcrk0AYhh5jA&s=19

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Varinn posted:

Genuinely, how is correcting people about what is and isnt a war crime relevant? It seems weird to look at a discussion like that and think that its a slap fight. I understand the rule on not rehashing arguments but if anything should be exempt it should be correcting people about this. Its pretty fuckin important in a thread about a war.

the thread moves so fast that its likely a lot of people could only see someone confidently assuring them executing people is fine and not see the correction. ideally this would be cracked down on but i understand not wanting to probe people for just being misinformed

Have I probated someone this evening over Geneva Convention chat? Some posters seemed ready to double down, so all I did was issue a preemptive warning to keep the argument brief, to avoid repeat of last night, when there was half a dozen pages long circular conversation about the very same topic, which went nowhere. Much like with daily mentions of NATO history, no-fly zones, or nuclear war - I don’t probate generally if people show they know when to stop.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I'm very, VERY, surprised this is still up. Russian so you'll have to translate but way worth it.

Of course, coming from academic philologists, it's unsurprising they bemoan The war will lead to the final displacement of the Russian language from the Ukrainian cultural space. The Russian language - the language of great Russian culture, the language of Tolstoy, Dostoevsky and Chekhov - having become the language of aggressive politics, is rapidly losing its position in the world.

https://www.istorex.ru/post/%D0%BE%...%81%D0%B8%D0%B8

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I mentioned it last night but the destruction in Zhytomyr is horrific. The city is suffering heavy damage

:nms: https://twitter.com/buch10_04/status/1499133402297024517?t=_5Pn6LiTaRqP9Ozylxe-yQ&s=19 :nms:

Edited for accuracy

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 3, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This is from about 24 hours ago, but relevant. Today’s transcript is not yet available.

quote:

US SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: It's not a surprise, Luis, that they rely on conscripts. We've known this about the Russian military that, I mean, it's not an all-volunteer force like the United States military is. So I mean, that's not a surprise that they would be relying on conscripts, draftees if you will. That was, I think, pretty well known.

And I want to just remind -- I say this every day, but I'm going to say it again today, okay -- we're in day six and the -- the Russians assembled and have at their disposal still significant combined arms combat power. Now, they are being matched by the Ukrainians in many ways. And the Ukrainians also have combat power at their disposal.

But you know, when we talk about surprise or a surprise -- I think the Russians have been surprised by the resistance that they have faced. I think the Russians have been surprised by some of the morale problems that they're experiencing.

They're -- and I think they're none too pleased about the logistics and sustainment challenges they've had. Why? We've answered this question before. We don't know exactly why they're having the logistics and sustainment problems.

Was it failure of planning and pre-positioning or has it been a failure in the execution? There could be lots of reasons for this, not to mention the resistance.

But I just want to remind -- they are right now, and they will, continue to adjust and adapt and try to overcome these challenges that they have been facing. And they have a lot of power available to them still.

I think we need to be mindful of that and we all need to have a pragmatic sense here that they will change. They will -- they will tack into a different direction because, in many cases, they must. And so we just need to -- we just need to be mindful of that.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/2950497/senior-defense-official-holds-a-background-briefing/

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Silly question, but do the oligarchs have any legal recourse against the governments that seized their properties? Just wondering if there's any risk they can sue for damages?

Nominally yes, luckily as sovereign nations though they'd just pass a law saying "actually you can't, sorry"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Alchenar posted:

Okay now we are past 'warcrimes bad' I think the interesting observation here is that in the last 24 hours we've seen Ukranian public messaging start to fall apart a bit. It's looking less centrally coordinated, different military units are writing their own stuff and putting it up on Facebook and it's getting very hit-and-miss and certainly a lot more cuthroat. Probably parallels the state of the war somewhat.

I'm baffled by that coming out of a newspaper during wartime, it's really bad international PR when their winning strategy is making this take a long time with good international PR. You'd think there'd be someone in the Ukrainian armed forces going "oh no, no no no, poo poo" and shutting that down.