Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Pikmin 3 was released for Nintendo’s Wii U in the summer of 2013. This is the first time the series has seen a new release since Pikmin 2 on the GameCube in 2004. Even though Pikmin 3 was heavily teased to arrive on the Wii in 2008/2009, the Wii only saw New Play Control re-releases of Pikmin and Pikmin 2 that were actually incredibly badass.

The Pikmin games typically focus on martians crash-landing on a post-apocalyptic Earth. During their travel, they rely on small bug-like plant creatures called Pikmin to lift and kill various things obscuring their progress. I’ve heard the Overlord games copy this format. Pikmin (2001) introduced the series with three types of Pikmin (red, blue, and yellow) and Pikmin 2 brought in two more types (white and purple) to further complicate the game world. I played Pikmin to 100% completion when it came out, but I never saw Pikmin 2 all the way through.

These games are also Miyamoto-as-hell.

LP Style and Intent
I have played about an hour into Pikmin 3 to get the feel for it, but this is largely going to be a blind LP. I’m not worried about the content lacking information because I have enough exposure to the series to where sitting down with the game for an hour felt like coming home.

Pikmin games have always had the virtue of clear, succinct stopping points with its day and night system. Videos will more than likely be segmented to each day, which should be around fifteen minutes per video. Because it would be strange to invite my friends over to hang out for fifteen minutes at a time, we may record for an hour or two, and I’ll piecemeal and parcel the content over a week. Seems like a lot to edit. Exciting!

I will have two friends accommodate me in the same room as I play. One of them played a lot of Pikmin 2’s multiplayer with me as a kid, and one is just a straight-up Nintendo Idiot and doesn’t know anything, that stupid piece of garbage.

The Hardware bear with me, I like this stuff a whole bunch
I got bored a couple weeks ago, and started to talk with my friend about audio equipment and editing. One thing led to another, and I acquired an audio mixer with some dynamic microphones. To me, half the fun of doing a Let’s Play for me is the hardware and tech behind it, so here are some thumbnails of the setup, for those interested. We're getting used to the equipment, so please leave us some feedback on how everything sounds and what we can improve on.

Fruit Collected

VIDEO DIRECTORY

VIDEO (post) LIST
Day 1 -- Crash landing on a mysterious new planet.
Day 2 -- Finding Brittany
Day 3 -- Exploring the Garden of Hope
Day 4 -- Mawdad or Mawmad?
Day 5 -- Tundra Troubles
Day 6 -- Holy Hostiles!
Day 7 -- Shed some light on the situation
Day 8 -- Viva el Capitan!
Day 9 -- Messin' with Multitasking
Day 10 -- Building Bridges
Day 11 -- Fruit and Death
Day 12 -- Oh, THAT'S how you quickly kill dozens of Pikmin.
Day 13 -- Staycation
Day 14 -- Twilight River
Day 15 -- NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES!
Day 16 -- Go Royals!, or "How to murder babbys."
Day 17 -- Banjo-Kazooie
Day 18 -- THIS. IS. PRODUCTIVITY.
Day 19 -- The Plot Twist
Day 20 -- Time Wasted
Day 21 -- Back 2 Tha Water
Day 22 -- Dune was a book.
Day 23 -- Sweet Jesus, It's Day 23
Day 24 -- Madness, Mayhem, Ideas
Day 25 -- Goldmember
Day 26 -- Game the game
Day 27 -- Blob man cometh
Day 28 -- Frustration exclamation.
Day 2928 -- Where do we go from here?
Tropical Wilds 100%
Twilight River 100%
Garden of Hope 100%
Distant Tundra 100%
Day 37 -- First (second) boss attempt.

Missions
Treasure 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHRwBGBanRc
Treasure 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrA9jgIWlKo

Bingo Mode
vs. Grant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1090DYwE6_k

Website | YouTube | Twitter

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

Art accompanying the LP

"Charlie Stalin" by Sean and Ometeotl

"This LP in a nutshell" by SectumSempra

by cofaigh

"The Struggle" by cofaigh

"Bingo Battle (Pikmin 3 Remix)" by Tortango
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8u70s4th2A

"this_LP.gif" by Dad Jokes

"The Bloomin' Onions" by KillerEggplant

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 21, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I'm ready for more adventures in drone management and sobering tales of poor resource management/overpopulation.

On an unrelated note, I'm pretty sure Pikmin are supposed to be anthropomorphized carrots to fit their vegetable theme.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 21, 2014

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
how do i select the small penguin

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
This game came out?? Awesome! I loved the Pikmin games

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Geostomp posted:

On an unrelated note, I'm pretty sure Pikmin are supposed to be anthropomorphized carrots to fit their vegetable theme.

Yeah, in the first game Olimar even says something like "I'll call them Pikmin because they look just like my favorite snack, pikpik carrots."

I'm lookin' forward to this one, I don't have a WiiU but I always did want to give this installment a look.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Sorry to be the one to do this. One of the three of you is really quite. I can hear 2 of you fine but the third just sort of vanishes into the background most of the time.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

Major_JF posted:

Sorry to be the one to do this. One of the three of you is really quite. I can hear 2 of you fine but the third just sort of vanishes into the background most of the time.

Yeah, next time we record, I'll turn his volume up/beat him until he learns how to hold a microphone properly.

We are recording in a way that makes one microphone well-balanced between your left and right ear (the guy in the middle, the one you aren't hearing properly), one that puts me in more-so your left ear, and the other more-so in your right ear. I've heard this helps the listener distinguish who is talking and identify people better.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yeah, in the first game Olimar even says something like "I'll call them Pikmin because they look just like my favorite snack, pikpik carrots."

I'm lookin' forward to this one, I don't have a WiiU but I always did want to give this installment a look.

I knew it was pik-carrot something. I googled "Pikarrots," but got some other Nintendo game.

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 21, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pikpik carrots! In Pikmin 2, the entire plot happens because idiot Louie eats their company's entire stock.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

It never occurred to me until watching this video how infuriating it would be to be wearing a spacesuit and have your glasses slide down your nose and not be able to adjust them. That would drive me crazy!

Edit: what would be worse, that or having a smudge on the lens and not noticing until after you put the suit on

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Now that I've watched the whole video, there's one new move I want to point out since you're playing it blind and it wasn't in the other game (I also don't think the game ever tells you about it) - the charge move. If you lock onto an enemy/wall/other object and then dismiss your Pikmin, they'll all attack it at once, dealing a lot of damage really quickly. It's kind of their way of making up for the fact that you can no longer use the C-stick to swarm enemies.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
Sweet. I wanted to play Pikmin 3, but didn't want to get a Wii U for it. Compared to the first Pikmin, Pikmin 2 was definitely a lot calmer once they got rid of the time limit, but it definitely got harder at the end, which is why I haven't finished playing it.

As for this game, I like the idea of having to look for food to get rations, though I do hope all those mushrooms we saw can be turned into like, soup or something, and it isn't bound to a specific item equaling food, like the ship parts/treasures in Pikmin 1/2. Also, is it just me, or do the ration bottles remind anyone of those baby bottles whose liquids would disappear when you "fed" them to the baby doll?

Completely unrelated, but it's neat to have a character share my name, and even have it pronounced correctly. :3:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The pikmin 2 types do show up in the "Scenario" maps, I think specifically the downloadable ones, but I can't remember for sure.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I have the feeling that the ship's name is a reference to the cut fourth concept character. The ship's name has an ingame reference that we will likely be told at some point, but that's not important right now.

What I am talking about is that at some point, I think it was maybe during an Iwata asks or something, they showed a concept picture of the characters. It had the three playable characters with the letters A-D underneath them. We know the playable characters names are Alph, Brittany and Captain and with the ship being named Drake it's likely that Nintendo decided we were one game too early to be ready to micromanage 4 playable characters and gave it to the ship when Dude 4 was cut.

Misquoter
Nov 2, 2009

A bearded man.
A mushroom cloud.
[Two bears high-fiving.]
PNF-404
Page(planet?pikmin?) Not found

I wonder if that's intentional. Granted, I know nothing of the game aside from what I've read here.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Kobanya posted:

As for this game, I like the idea of having to look for food to get rations, though I do hope all those mushrooms we saw can be turned into like, soup or something, and it isn't bound to a specific item equaling food, like the ship parts/treasures in Pikmin 1/2.

Got some bad news for ya, in that case.

I felt a bit disappointed in Pikmin 3. It certainly wasn't bad, it just wasn't absolutely amazing. Pikmin 2 is the best, and I've still yet to determine whether I'd rate 1 or 3 second. The problem I have with 3 is that it's so focused on telling its linear story that it starts getting in the way of the gameplay. There are a few annoying moments of dissonance, where characters might be stuck in the middle of a boss battle, yet the day has just ended, so they immediately warp back to the ship, and it gets especially ridiculous in the final boss battle.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

Now that I've watched the whole video, there's one new move I want to point out since you're playing it blind and it wasn't in the other game (I also don't think the game ever tells you about it) - the charge move. If you lock onto an enemy/wall/other object and then dismiss your Pikmin, they'll all attack it at once, dealing a lot of damage really quickly. It's kind of their way of making up for the fact that you can no longer use the C-stick to swarm enemies.

I detail that in the next video (which I can't edit and post until Sunday, maybe. My baaad.). The ease of the C-stick swipe was so good, though! I want it back. Just simply brushing a wall with a swipe felt nice and got the job done much faster.

frozentreasure posted:

...The problem I have with 3 is that it's so focused on telling its linear story that it starts getting in the way of the gameplay....

That's a major bummer. I remember in the originals there were days you could dedicate to growing and cultivating Pikmin because you were well caught up on finding ship components. It was a nifty way to learn some time management skills.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

zfleeman posted:

That's a major bummer. I remember in the originals there were days you could dedicate to growing and cultivating Pikmin because you were well caught up on finding ship components. It was a nifty way to learn some time management skills.

Oh, don't let my criticisms of the game preemptively colour your opinion of it, or change how you play. I haven't even mentioned how I feel about the food time limit, but it'll come in time.

For now, I would highly recommend, though it might seem cumbersome, playing with both the Wii Remote/Nunchuk and the GamePad, using the latter as a map (and for multitasking purposes when you get your crew mates back. The additions and changes that the GamePad introduce become kind of necessary towards the end of the game, but the moment-to-moment Pikmin gameplay is infinitely better and easier with the Wii controls.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

frozentreasure posted:

I felt a bit disappointed in Pikmin 3. It certainly wasn't bad, it just wasn't absolutely amazing. Pikmin 2 is the best, and I've still yet to determine whether I'd rate 1 or 3 second. The problem I have with 3 is that it's so focused on telling its linear story that it starts getting in the way of the gameplay.
I don't really agree at all, myself. While I loved Pikmin 2, the majority of its gameplay is situated in often-repetitive caves, generally with very little intrigue in the way of level design other than "lol bomb rocks," and it still holds over the strange, awkward pikmin-maneuvering challenges that 1 had. The amount of content in 2 is considerably greater, but it's also much less dense, which, for me, makes replaying the game (or even finishing it) a bit of a chore. Coming back to it (as well as 1) after playing a fair bit of 3, there's also some issues I had with Pikmin AI and some bits of organization. It's really annoying to have the other captain either forced to follow or be idle when not controlled, as it makes him a lot less useful. When switching pikmin types to throw, it ONLY changes the pikmin you're about to throw. Whether or not the game will decide that you can continue to throw that type is up to the pikmin arrangement, so you're often better off just dismissing an entire group away from an electric hazard and whistling your yellows separately than risk tossing the wrong one into the hazard and having it die instantly. I guess I can understand you having a problem with the pace-breaking, but this was something that the second game didn't suffer from because it froze time entirely in caves (which is a bit off-putting in and of itself), and it's something the first game didn't suffer from because its "boss" encounters were laughably easy and short. Other than that, I don't really see an issue with the story's linear progression, especially since it's basically entirely open after you unlock the final area.

Other than that, Pikmin 2's challenge mode is barely less pointless than the first game's, whereas 3's mission mode is probably the most enjoyable chunk of Pikmin gameplay I've ever experienced.

ikanreed posted:

The pikmin 2 types do show up in the "Scenario" maps, I think specifically the downloadable ones, but I can't remember for sure.
Nah, they can show up in the original set of mission maps, as well. It just depends on where they're applicable.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Ultigonio posted:

Good points!

I've got to agree with Ultigonio's assessment. Pikmin 3 is definitely the most polished in the series, and it has the most gameplay depth. I also think it has the best time mechanic (the original's was too restrictive for new players to 100% it, and of course the second's was non-existent). However, I certainly understand why people would think the second is the best for sheer volume of content all being well-executed if perhaps sometimes repetitive.

zfleeman, really neat to hear how you set up the microphones. It definitely makes the commentary more distinctive. I think you guys did a good job of not talking over each other most of the time. It looks like somebody else already commented about the voice from the middle, and it's good to see you're on top of things for fixing it.

Given that everyone commentating seems to have a different level of experience with Pikmin, I'm looking forward to hearing more of everyone's impression of the game. zfleeman, do you plan on showing off the extra game modes beyond the story?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

So the chief engineer just abandoned the captain to his fate?
Oh wait, he got knocked out by something, so I guess he's 'safe' just like Brittany.

Also when you get extra crew, do they use multiple food cannisters, or was the engineer just REALLY hungry?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I loved to death the first two games, but haven't gotten the chance to really play the third. Looks adorable so far... new Onion looks more veggie like, seems cool.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Veloxyll posted:

Also when you get extra crew, do they use multiple food cannisters, or was the engineer just REALLY hungry?

I was fishing around the Pikmin wiki for reasons and apparently Koppites don't have any kind of physiological response that tells them when they're full, so they can just eat ceaselessly. The food crisis was basically caused by world-wide binge eating.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

So the chief engineer just abandoned the captain to his fate?
Oh wait, he got knocked out by something, so I guess he's 'safe' just like Brittany.
To be fair, we've only seen the very first day. Alph/Engineer only just found the ship again and is in a relatively Summery location in comparison to the Captain's snowy Wintery location. They look far enough away from each other that he likely can't pick up the Captain's location in a scan of the area or call him on the NotGamepad.

On complaints about the game mode, the ever looming time limit is sort of lame in this game. Like, I wasn't a fan of how stressful 30 days was for beginners for the first game, but going in the opposite direction like they did here isn't great either. It's like, there is a time limit, and it is Game Over if you hit it, but outside a moment or two in the game it is almost impossible to hit it.

There is enough resources in the game that you'd have to actively be trying to run down the clock to lose, to the point that I took my sweet time in making my first run through a 100% run and still had around half the total available time in the game leftover.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 23, 2014

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
I love Pikmin so much, this makes me want to dig up my wii and play Pikmin now, even though it's in a basement on the other side of the state and I don't own a television to connect it to. I guess this is why there's Let's Play.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

Day 2 -- Finding Brittany
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCMorF3L71U

On our second day of Pikmin 3, we see the day/night timer for the first time. This lets the player realize that multitasking will be a crucial component to get food. We also find our first and second piece of fruit, get acquainted with another member of our team, and discover:

Rock Pikmin

Rock Pikmin are really heavy, and can be thrown at glass to break it. They are actually pretty stupid, as seen by their behavior to ram their face into things on command.

We're sitting down to record more tomorrow. Anything you want to see us accomplish? Suggestions? We will be turning down game audio more on the mixer and increase my co-commentator's levels to take care of the issues we had with our first sit-down.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Brittany is top tier.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Great LP, you and your co-commentators have a good rapport and you explain things pretty well. Following.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
Wow I was going to say in the first video that when you kept dismissing Pikmin to make them do things instead of controlling them was pretty infuriating, but now you say you can't do that. Bloody hell.

Also the stealthing stuff seems pretty neat.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the LP, I played the hell out of 1 and 2 and I don't own a WiiU yet.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I like the introduction of the new pikmin species before the old ones. Although the Rock pikmin look like they're made of shiny cardboard.....

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

There were two main reasons to use the C-stick to control Pikmin: to direct their paths and to swarm enemies and obstacles.

The first is less of an issue in this game because of better Pikmin AI and the second is what charging is for, so losing the c-stick is far less of a loss than you'd think.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

zfleeman posted:

We're sitting down to record more tomorrow. Anything you want to see us accomplish? Suggestions? We will be turning down game audio more on the mixer and increase my co-commentator's levels to take care of the issues we had with our first sit-down.

Great to see another update! I'm having fun watching these. Laughed when you didn't realize you were supposed to throw the rock Pikmin at the trapped Onion.

I think you had a great idea for taking screenshots of the end of day screens. That would be a good thing to post, though maybe spoiler the image if something happens you don't want spoiled.

It was neat to hear you guys talk about the series. Since Pikmin has pretty unique gameplay (Ultigonio described it as a real-time strategy / third person shooter hybrid in the Wii U thread) I think it's interesting to hear what people think of it. It would be cool to hear about your previous experience with the series since two of you guys have played the games before, and maybe after the first boss fight hear what the guy who's new to the series overall impressions are.

I do agree with CrazyCandy about the C-Stick. Although I did really miss it when I started playing, I think the Charge is a more accurate version of swarming. Once you get the hang of it you can lock-on and charge faster than holding the C-stick in a direction would take too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you look at the top right corner of the screen during the End of Day section, this game added a new feature - it tells you exactly how many of your Pikmin are in danger. As long as that number is 0, you have nothing to worry about.

I usually lose Pikmin because I think they'll be able to get something they're carrying back to the safe ring around the Onion in time, and then the day ends while they're still juuuust outside it.

My only suggestion is that you should spend time in each area just exploring, collecting what fruit you can, and growing Pikmin before making a beeline for plot progression. I think the game gets paced better this way since the other option (always going exactly where the game tells you to) ends up really frontloading the bosses.

E: Also another thing that would be cool to have screenshots of would be the flavor text for all the fruit that you can check via the Fruit App.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the one thing i hate about pikmin is the way you have to listen to the same sound file in rapid fire a thousand times during every fight.

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011
Great LP so far!

The little rock pikmin are adorable, I'm looking forward to seeing what other new types have been added. :kimchi:

Also, I agree that it really is surprising how few games there are like Pikmin. Aside from Overlord the only other one I can remember is Little King's Story.

Catastrophics fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 24, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Real Time Swarm Control.

I've played the first Overlord, so it's interesting to see the game (or at the very least the successor of the game) it borrows its main mechanic from.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I'm really thrilled with all of the positive feedback we've been getting. Because I'm a shameless whore for YouTube's analytic suite: if you like what you see, feel to leave a Like and subscribe to my channel. I don't know if that's weird/forbidden to ask, but little things like that help keep me motivated to make content like this.

Catastrophics posted:

Aside from Overlord the only other one I can remember is Little King's Story.
I never got around to LKS on the Wii, but I may have to check out the redone version on the Vita. I hear that game is great.

KazigluBey posted:

Great LP, you and your co-commentators have a good rapport and you explain things pretty well. Following.
Thanks! I've known Sean since birth, it seems, and I met Grant in college. We all have a good enough amount of history to play off each other fairly well, I think.

Regy Rusty posted:

E: Also another thing that would be cool to have screenshots of would be the flavor text for all the fruit that you can check via the Fruit App.
Very nice. I can put some of that stuff in the OP whenever I get around to it. I'll figure out a way to make a "Fruits Found" section. I took out the section "The Basics" in the OP because I didn't think it added much, but tracking fruits and data logs up there is a great idea.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

My heart skipped a beat when I saw you forgot two Red Pikmin. Thank goodness you found them again!! Poor little guys.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw, I thought you'd find the Captain inside that jelly thing. Guess he's still out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Captain Charlie's in a cave somewhere, but maybe there's a bigger jelly thing that got him (hopefully his suit makes him indigestible like the rock pikmin).

• Locked thread