Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Odessa, TX

Odessa is too big to be a town but too small to be a real city. It's broke, in the middle of the desert, and according to Forbes 'one of the fastest growing small cities in America!' All that seems to mean is that traffic is getting worse at rush hour. There's still some things to do, I mean. There's a mall, and a movie theater. And people have at least heard of the place thanks to Friday Night Lights, right? We've only got one bank building for a skyline but we have a football stadium we can be proud of.

You don't go to THAT High School though. You go to Odessa High. (Go Bronchos!)

Looking for 4-6 players to have some fun in an episodic western style. We begin at the end of the first week of school, so the first Friday in September when the weather is still a moderately warm 87 degrees and always sunny. Today's the last day to sign up for any fall sports or clubs. You are a Senior, so 16-18 years old, and starting to get asked those difficult questions like "What are you going to do after high school?" There's scholarships to sign up for and GPA's to improve if you want to go to college, and plenty of uh, other recreational activities if you don't.

You've got one last chance to ask that guy/girl you've been drooling over for the last three years out. One last chance to make a mark and show up big in the school Yearbook. One last chance to go to the State Finals and get scouted.

Oh, and you're a monster. Why's being a teenager so complicated!

In addition to normal Character Creation give me three things:

1) A short description of a classmate NPC.
2) Your chosen elective class (spanish? shop? home-ec? AP Trig? You can be creative here, you don't have to be in the same elective as anyone else.)
3) What club/sport/after school activity are you signing up for?

Everyone will get Two Questions from me after their initial sheet is finished to help flesh out their concept.

All of the base skins and second skins plus the Serpentine, the Hollow, and the Angel are allowed *EXCEPT* for the Chosen. I want to see what you all get up to without Buffy keeping you in line.

This will be an active game! Be able to post roughly every other day. Being in IRC (#swampthings on Synirc) is highly preferred.

Standard MH Disclaimer:
Monsterhearts is a game that frequently involves tricky subject matter (teen sexuality, homophobia and other forms of shittiness, physical/emotional abuse), just kind of by definition. If any of you get freaked out during play, please talk to me about it. Its important people feel safe here -- I care more about your emotional well-being than I do about this storygame topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

[Band Geek Queen under construction]

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Character here.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 20, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Going to submit a Cuckoo.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Want to try a Chosen who is part of the not-Illuminati.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Apping a mortal

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Posting interest, not sure what skin for yet! Maybe Heir.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Gotta refresh on the Skins before I app for this, but hey, maybe this time we won't have any rapey players. That'd be something to really look forward to.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Mr Tastee posted:

Want to try a Chosen who is part of the not-Illuminati.

mistaya posted:

All of the base skins and second skins plus the Serpentine, the Hollow, and the Angel are allowed *EXCEPT* for the Chosen. I want to see what you all get up to without Buffy keeping you in line.

Before you put a bunch of work into something I won't be accepting, just a heads up.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Apping a massive stoner chick.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I realize this skin isn't on the approved list, so totally cool if it's not cool with you. Put her together for another game that promptly crashed and burned and wanted to give the skin a try.

"Amy, is that you!?"

"YES! HOMEWORK!"

I pound up the stairs and dodge into my room, slamming the door. I know mom thinks it's some 'teen phase' and...gently caress, maybe it is. I've always been quiet. Never liked crowds. Sure, I'd like go to parties and stuff but...always 'cause somebody felt they had to, right? Kinda okay with it, most of the time. Other times...just wanted to be seen. To be...I dunno, popular? gently caress, that's so shallow. Better than popular. A showstopper.

But that basically never happened. Eh. I had friends online, anyway. There's this like, goth/occult chat thing I'm on. Good times. They told me the best way to dye my hair. One night there was this guy, some new guy, talking about what we'd want, if we could have one wish. Sooo....fduh, what else would want for? TO get noticed. To be super stunning. To stop people in their track.

Fffffffffuck that. Now I can't look mom in the eyes. I lied and said Mister Fluffypaws ran away. Couldn't tell mom that I turned him into a little statue. poo poo. Had him since I was three before dad...

...it's like a nightmare. One day at a time, right Amy? At least Mom works nights.

quote:

Name: Amelia Saunders
Look: Wallflower, downcast eyes, sleek hair
Skin: The Gorgon
Origin: A wish gone wrong

Conditions:

Harm
[ ][ ][ ][ ]

XP
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Stats:
Hot: -1
Cold: 2
Volatile: -1
Dark: 1

Tell
Amy now specifically avoids eye contact with people at all costs, leading to very weird social interactions. This is particularly notable for people who knew her in the past before this behavior developed.

Sex Move
If you and your partner can see each other when you have sex your partner becomes Petrified and takes 1 harm. The next time you meet, tell them either:
* You think you were a pity-gently caress, dare gently caress, or notch on their bedpost
* You think they were mainly motivated by affection and give them a string
Then they tell you whether you were right as either honesty or the audience demands. If you were you both take 1 forward. If you were wrong and they laughed at you they take 1 forward.

Darkest Self
Youre done hiding your gaze. If people cant meet it, thats their issue. You meet the gaze of everyone you encounter unless they are taking explicit precautions. If they try to hold your gaze you arent backing down. Escape your darkest self when either you actually turn someone to stone or someone takes 2 harm trying to talk (and stare) you down.

Moves

[+] Petrification
Whenever you look or gaze into someones eyes, roll to Shut Them Down. On a hit give them the condition Petrified - or if they are already Petrified they take 1 Harm as well as other consequences. If harm from this move would kill them they turn to stone. If you can see through it you can Petrify someone through it.

If you start a session (including the first) with no social conditions, gain your choice of:
* The condition Scary
* The condition Freak
* Any social condition youve had before
* Any social condition agreed by the table

[+] Oops!
Whenever you accidentally use Petrification on someone you care about, gain an experience point.

Backstory
* You looked into someones you care abouts eyes and hurt them. Tell them if they know why. Either way they take two strings on you and you take one on them.
* Someone is afraid of you and doesnt know why. Take a string on them.

Extras

Classmate NPC - Jake Iverson, in Amy's grade and a good chunk of her classes, classic Texas stereotype of a football star, or he would be if he were the quarterback instead of a running back, a point of some pain for him. Tends to blow off classes, favors weed and booze, and women, not always in that order.
Chosen Elective - I wanted to do visual arts again, but mom was all 'nooooo' and so I'm stuck in the Business Seminar. I mean, it's okay, I guess? I like money, but it's way too much math, and BOOOORING!
Club - Drama! Yay! I've been one of the crew for the past couple years. It's fun and I get to paint on a huge canvass.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 27, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Probably gonna throw together a Ghoul later.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

mistaya posted:

Before you put a bunch of work into something I won't be accepting, just a heads up.

Duly noted. Will think of something else.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Lilly Johansen

Look this is a load of bullshit and I don't know why I have to be here.... fine but I still think he deserved it. I don't care what anyone else says. I promise you though I had nothing to do with his tires.

My parents? what does that have to do with anything?

Well if it'll keep you happy. I don't really remember my Mom much. She died suddenly when I was little. Dad didn't take it well. He kind of buried himself in his work and left me to more or less fend for myself. Seems the only time he pays attention to me is when I get into trouble. No that's not the reason I rebel. Well ok, maybe a little.

See what most people don't realize is that promises are important. You don't make a promise to someone if you're not going to keep it. You just don't. So when Ricky promised my friend Jenny a date and then stood her up for that blonde cheerleader I was so mad that I wanted to get revenge. Now the thing is the only thing Ricky cares about apart from his pretty boy good looks is his precious car. I don't know why it's so important to him but I was totally going to wreck his "baby". So I went out there with a knife I was going to use to scratch up his precious babies paint job.

Well I don't know who else he pissed off but by the time I got there someone else had slashed his tires. I just stood there and started laughing and that's when they caught me. So yeah I didn't do it. Even though I had the means motive and opportunity. I wish I had I'd love to shake the hand of whoever was responsible because the look on his face was priceless and he totally deserved it.

What do you mean I was the only one who could have done it because the cameras don't show anyone else in the parking lot? Are you calling me a liar or something? because unless you have some real evidence of me doing it I'm not going to pay for that jerks tyres.

Fine, suspend me. See if I care. I'm not admitting to something I didn't do I promise you that. rear end in a top hat.

quote:

Name: Lilly Johansen
Look: Dishevelled, Piercing Eyes
Skin: The Fae
Origin: Fae Blooded

Stats:
Hot: 2
Cold: -1

Darkest Self:

Everything you say is a promise. Everything you hear is a
promise. If a promise is broken, justice must be wrought
in blood. To escape your Darkest Self, you must in some
way re-balance the scales of justice

Sex Move

When you lie naked with another, you can ask them for a
promise. If they refuse, take 2 Strings on them.

Moves:

Faery Contract

If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you,
take a String on them. When spending a String to even
out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add
these options:
  • they gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment;
  • add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance;
  • they suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not.

The Constant Bargain

When someone asks you to do something important for them, and you do it, roll with hot.
  • On a 10 up, they lose a String on you, and you gain one on them.
  • On a 7-9, choose one or the other.
  • On a miss, youve shown that they can walk all over you, and they take a String on you.

Your Backstory:
You wear your heart on your sleeve. Give everyone one String.

Youve captured someones fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them

Advancements

quote:

Jenny Richards, We've been friends since Kindergarten. Even though really we don't have a lot in common. She's shy and withdrawn while I'm brash and confident, she can sing really well, My singing voice tends to cause animals to run away from me. Still we promised each other we'd be friends in Kindergarten and we've stuck with it ever since. I just wish I could get her to come out of her shell a bit more.

quote:

2) Your chosen elective class (spanish? shop? home-ec? AP Trig? You can be creative here, you don't have to be in the same elective as anyone else.)

I'm studying Italian. No seriously. It's a really beautiful language. Besides can you keep a secret from my dad. As soon as I turn 18 I'm gonna take a year out and go bum around Europe. I have a fair bit of money saved up but I thought it would be a good idea to learn some of the local languages. Besides have you seen the Italian teacher. Mr Abella, drat he's hot, yes I am that shallow. Bite me.

quote:

You don't know? I've been on the soccer team for years now. I know we're not uber-successful and have everyone fawning over us like those jerks on the football team. But we've managed a respectable showing. Not Texas's best but hell it's good enough for most of us and we never let it go to our heads.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 20, 2015

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

In a way, I've always known I was a wolf - that I've been a wolf through dozens of lifetimes. I can't even remember when I started having the dreams, but I know they're really memories, memories of my past lives. I'm always someone different in the dreams - a Siberian shaman, a French sorcerer, a Norse berserker, a Navajo warrior - but lots of things are the same in all of them. For example, I can change into a wolf when I get angry enough. I love someone who doesn't love me back. And the dream always ends in blood. When I was a little kid, the dreams really scared me. There were nights when I'd wake up from those blood-soaked nightmares and not go back to sleep at all, even with my mom holding me and whispering comforting words until sunrise. But as I got older, I started getting used to the dreams. They became a part of my life, like school and homework and football and taking care of my mom after she got sick. But nothing could have prepared me for my first change.

It all happened at the end of the last school year. Mateo Perez's parents were away on business, so he threw a big party for the team at his house. You know, that huge place at the edge of town? Well... there might have been some beer there. And I might have gotten drunk and maybe I went out into the desert to walk out under the moon. God, it was so big and bright and beautiful that night. I felt like I was falling in love with it; I took off my clothes to bathe in the light of that moon. It made me feel great, like I could do anything, beat anyone...and then I saw that coyote. It was out there too, yipping and crying up a storm, and I kept thinking Shut the gently caress up, you little poo poo. And I'm not sure what happened next. When I think back to that night, I get these impressions of pain, anger, the taste of blood in my mouth. The next concrete memory I have after that was waking up in Mat's bathtub, naked, the water still running. The sound that woke me up was some girl screaming. I wrapped myself in a towel and followed the sound to the foyer, where I found her sobbing in Tyler Forman's arms. Lying on the front step outside was the dead body of a coyote, all ripped to shreds.

That's when everything clicked into place for me. I understood who and what I am, why I have my dreams. I understood that I need to be careful, to find outlets for my anger and keep myself locked up when the full moon comes. I also understood that the only way I can be certain I won't hurt an innocent person is by ending it all. But my mom's cancer is spreading to her brain, and with Dad so busy with work, I'm the only one who can take care of her. So I'll stay in this life for now, just until she dies. I only hope I don't lose control before then.

quote:

Rob Howard - the Werewolf
Look
: Wiry, fierce eyes
Origin: Awoken

Stats
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 2, Dark -1

Moves
Howl at the Moon: When basked in moonlight, add 2 to your Dark score.

Primal Dominance: When you harm someone, take a String on them.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that connection has been broken.
Spirit Connection with:

Darkest Self
You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

Advancements

Question 1: Hector Delgado is a standup guy. He's on the team with me, and we help each other with homework. Sometimes he disappears for a few days at a time, but he always manages to keep his grades up. I ask him about where he goes and he just makes a joke and changes the subject. Still, he's got your back whenever you need help.
Question 2: My elective is AP US History.
Question 3: My extracurricular activity is Football.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 20, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Suzy Sheldon - The Mortal

Suzy Sheldon, Chief Reporter of the Odessa Times!

Well... of the Odessa High Times.... And the only Reporter... And the only editor. Only member of the club really... But that doesn't matter! I can turn this around, all I need is a big enough scoop! And I just know theres a scoop out there, waiting for me. This town is suspicious, and no one ever seems to notice. But I do! All it takes is an outside look to see how weird everything is.

Like, why has the Mayor of Odessa had the same name for the last two hundred years? Why does the cafeteria refuse to give out the ingredients for its 'Mystery Meat Monday' meals? What exactly does the student council do with such a large budget? Why are the PTA meetings by invitation only? What are they building in that lot across the street from my house that's been 'under construction' since we moved here? Why is no one else in this newspaper club except for me? Why is [name redacted] in my english class so dreamy?

Suzy Sheldon The Mortal posted:

Name: Suzy Sheldon
Look: displaced, darting eyes
Origin: new kid in town

Moves
True Love
You always have exactly one lover. The first is chosen during your backstory. If you ever fall in love with someone else instead, give them a String and they become your new lover. You always carry 1 forward to earning your lovers heart or fancy.

Down the Rabbit Hole
When you go poking your nose in affairs not meant for your kind, someone involved in the situation gains a String on you, and you mark experience.

Mess With Me, Mess With Him
When you use your lovers name as a threat, add 2 to your roll to shut someone down or hold steady. Your lover gains a String on you.

Stats

Darkest Self
Nobody understands you, or even wants to. Theyd rather you disappear. Well, youre not going to disappear. Youre going to make life a living hell for them. Youll betray the wicked to the judges, the weak to the executioners. Youll pit humans and supernaturals against one another, until everyone looks like monsters. Only seeing the pain that youre causing your lover will let you escape your Darkest Self.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, trigger their Darkest Self.

Some people might call me nosy. Susan Clearwater certainly does. Well she can stuff it, she's just jealous that I stole her thunder by being new and exciting, instead of her boring girl next door look. That and the teachers won't call her Susie anymore since that actually IS my name, and she's stuck sounding like someones aunt. You know she tossed my notebook into the toilet my first week here? Bitch.
I signed up for Photography! For such a second class school I really wasn't expecting us to actually have a small dark room. Just one more question to the pile I guess. Still, its pretty cool.
Newspaper Club of course! It was still on a books, even though apparently no one has joined it for years and years.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 20, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Infernal app below, ~oh boy~

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 20, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Iggy Cage the Ghoul

"Friends help you move, good friends help you move bodies".
So when your friend says they think they ran over someone, well, they turn to you. Because you're a good friend.
Let's be friends. I like friends. Much better than I like accessories.

And remember, stay alive, don't text and drive!

Striking, Calculating Eyes
Disturbed

H-
C++
V+
D-

Hunger: Fear
+ to FEED. Hold Steady to avoid FEED.
Disaffected:
Turn On uses Cold
Ending:
Tell about Death. Give Morbid and roll Turn On.

Strings
Give: 2 to life reminder
Mutual (optional): 2 with witness to death/return

SM:
Hunger for partner. Grind partner to grind XP

DS: Uberhunger
Until stalled for half hour.

mistaya posted:

1)
Veronica "Ronnie" Drake - Ronnie and her gang of weirdos always have some kind of scheme brewing. They rarely pan out, but she's basically the gossip queen of the school; seems like she knows everything and everyone.
She's been kinda
off lately.

2)
Shop - Automotive :ironicat:
It's the only thing that fit my schedule, drat it.

3)
Russian-American Community Center's Sambo Club

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 20, 2015

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Let me tell you about how I learned to stop worrying and love the Collective.

The first bug must've woken up when someone near Odessa decided to put in yet another fracking line. I only know a few things about her: for one, she's old, like from the dinosaur times old. Think Tremors. But unlike Tremors,the Queen makes her home inside other creatures, and she can make more of her kind. And she wants to spread, and I'm her host.

Now let me tell you why that's a good thing.

I like being infected. It's not like being a hollow shell: I still have all my memories. I still have all my hobbies, but now, with the Queen's help, I'm better at them. Overnight, I went from third chair french horn to first chair. I've got charisma; when I tried out for the Field Conductor position that summer, I beat out Anna Brooks, the head of the color guard and prettiest girl in band. And I've got friends now. Well, I've got a hive mind, but it's the same thing, really. I hived Mandy Fuller first; she and I have been friends since we were toddlers, and when I laid out my secret, she joined voluntarily on the spot. Then she turned Efren Martinez, who had a crush on her. After that, it kept spreading. We've got about a third of the marching band now, and it really shows in our performances. The director seems to think that if we maintain this new-found discipline, we have a shot at winning State in our division! I made sure to keep it within the band, for now; it's already an insular group, so less chance of our secret getting out, and it's a microcosm of the school. When the time comes to spread our kind, after graduation, we'll be everywhere.

quote:

Name: Antony Reyes

Skin: The Queen

Look: Domineering, Murky Eyes

Origin: Source of the infection

Hot 2
Cold 1
Volatile -1
Dark -1

Moves:

The Clique (Infected Marching Band)
Youre at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around. They count as a gang. Choose one of the following strengths for your gang: theyre talented (in a band or sports team)

Streaming

You have a telepathic connection with your gang members. You can always hear their emotions and fears. When you try to hear specific thoughts, gaze into the abyss about it and add 1 to your roll.

Sex Move

When you have sex with someone, they gain the Condition one of them. While the Condition remains, they count as part of your gang.

Darkest Self

Theyve failed you. This is all their fault, and theres no reason why you should have to suffer the consequences of their idiocy. You need to make an example out of each of them, a cruel and unwavering example. You escape your Darkest Self when you relinquish part of your power over to someone more deserving, or when you destroy an innocent person in order to prove your might.

Anna Brooks. Frenemy. Rival power broker within the band. Turning her would be the key to hiving the entire color guard. Also, her parents are super-christian types who adopted her from somewhere in Asia and home-schooled her until she was twelve, so I kind of feel bad for her.

2) Your chosen elective class

My elective is home economics. Don't laugh; that's useful stuff to know.

Band, obviously. Marching, Orchestral, and Jazz.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 27, 2015

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Man, I wish there were more to do in this town.

I mean, I don't complain much. I've got a pretty nice line on bud and Smoke Alley pays enough for gas for the van and weed in the bowl, but I've probably walked every last inch of this town. Plus, I definitely don't fit in here in the slightest. "Godless" Natasha corrupting the good and godly conservative youth of this little podunk. They say my hair isn't in regulation? gently caress 'em. I'll just get my GED if they try to make me cut it off. I swear this entire part of the country is going to poo poo.

Still, there's some good people here. Just gotta look through all the ignorant and close minded people. Outcasts, rebels, people who just don't fit in. Those are my people. That and the stoners. I am apparently the only chick in the whole school who can get anything approaching decent bud and I've never asked for much. Just enough to cover my expenses to spread the good green to the masses, and its gotten me more than a little goodwill with the underground crowd.

My family? What family? State of Texas says when you're 17 you're more or less an adult. Those guys never really -got- me, so I just couchsurf or live in the van. I kinda like it like this, gently caress stability. Every once in a while mom or dad tries to talk me into coming back but I'm not gonna conform to their Christian bullshit. Besides, I may not show up to class often but I've never like, failed a class or anything. Someone's always got my back for notes and homework.

And don't get me started on any rumors you've heard. I like fooling around a bit, but you know how these stupid small towns are. You bang a few people and suddenly you've hosed half the town and their dogs too. I mean. I'm not that bad...anymore..sorta. Sophomore year was really hazy ok?

Anyways, are you gonna hit that? Because if not pass that poo poo on over, son.

quote:

Name: Natasha "Orchid" Jensen.

Skin: The Neighbor

Origin: Girl Next Door

Hot 2
Cold -1
Volatile 1
Dark -1

Moves:

Nap Fan
As soon as you fall asleep somewhere,
choose two below for the MC to detail.
The MC will tell you when you wake
up, and then tell you the details.

S something has been left for you,
S someone unexpected is nearby,
S someone's been trying to contact you,
S something happened at home,
S something has been canceled,
S something has been broken,
S you had a nice dream.

Precarious
When someone gives you a gift or another chance, give them a String

Two Eyes
When you take your glasses off, add 1 to your hot. You actually need your glasses, so subtract 1 from rolls where sight matters.

Darkest Self
You feel... you feel like a monster.
What kind of monster do you feel
like? A werewolf, a vampire, a ghost,
a queen... it can be anything you can
think of. Tell the MC, and they'll hand
you that Skin or the closest thing to
it. It can be different each time. Read
their Darkest Self: you are drowning
in metaphor. Choking on it. Your body
isn't supernatural, but you're gonna
take it right to the line. You become
that Darkest Self.

Oh man, so there's this one girl right? She really gets what I'm about. Her name is Lindsey Jenkins and I swear she is like my best friend at this point. You'll rarely see the two of us apart, and if you can't find us we're probably both out on the outskirts getting stoned and staring up at the sky just talking about life and stuff. Really one of the kindest and sweetest girls I've ever met. We've fooled around a bit, but never anything serious. Just friends getting a little handsy.

Hahaha. Agriculture.

Horticulture club. For obvious reasons.

ArbitraryTA fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 20, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Well, I'm done with character creation. Hit me with your questions.

I should see if I can make a trio with a pair of people who have strings on each other; one to run Iggy over, the other to move the body and, welp.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Cloud, the Sasquatch

Huh, turns out all that hard work was for nothing. Pulling straight A's, working part-time job to save up for a car, and my early apps go straight into the trash because some papers vanished into the ether. Mom's illegal, dad's more American than anyone--Apache--but he disappeared when I was just a kid. Probably folded my birth certificate into a paper plane, shrunk himself into a flea and flew it beyond the horizon. What do I do now?

What's the point of keeping my grades up, of sacrificing my life on the ivory altar of academia? All I have is this year, to catch up on everything I've been missing, to get in trouble before I can be tried as an adult, to make some memories besides being locked in my room with my headphones on, studying.

I'm doing it. I'm buying a prepaid phone and a car--even though I can't get a license or insurance. I'm switching my elective from AP dead white people stories to home ec. I'm going to meet someone in this worthless easy A class for burnouts, eat a weed brownie or something and who knows? Maybe if I get married I can be a citizen someday. Undo my parents' mistake...

Maybe my cousin (sister in the Indian way) Louise might know someone. Family's the only thing we have in common, though, the party animal probably doesn't know anything about me other than I'm an egghead with no facebook profile so gently caress it, I"ll join cross country with her. She can put in a good word with the team, and maybe my lifetime of being bullied and running away from home (I truly am my father's son) might actually pay off for once.

quote:

Name: Cloud Miles, a hippie name and a peaceful name
Skin: The Sasquatch
Origin: was a quiet child

Hot -1
Cold -1
Volatile 2
Dark 1

Moves:

Musk
You have a distinct smell, unpleasant
to some, intriguing to others. When
you sweat in the presence of other
people, roll with volatile. On a 10 up,
the MC gives you a String on someone
there and they choose:
S compliment you,
S apologize to you,
S give themselves to you.
On a 7-9, the MC gives you a String
on someone there, and that character
gives you a Condition, delivered in the
most appropriate way.

The Long Fuse
When you or someone wrapped in
your arms would take harm, you may
negate that harm. If you do so, name
something that you hold dear - if you
don't destroy that something later, do
yourself the harm then.

Icebreaker
You radiate awkwardness and people
don't know how to talk around you.
When someone speaks to break a
silence or to start a new conversation,
you may roll with dark. On a 10 up,
choose two of these questions for
them to blurt truthful answers to,
whether or not you actually ask.
On a 7-9, choose one question and
during this conversation you both blurt
out truthful answers to it.
S Who do you want to make out with?
S What don't you want me
to fid out?
S What do you intend to do?
S What do you wish I'd do?
S What are you scared of?
S What are you ashamed of?
S Do you like me?

or

Understanding
When you hold someone close, gain
a String on them.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 21, 2015

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Alright! Looking good folks, let's get this started. Since I'm only doing two rounds these will be muti-part questions, so have fun with them!

FIRST ROUND QUESTIONS:

Amelia Saunders, The Gorgon: What are some of the things you've learned to do to stay 'safe' since this happened? Have you ever hurt anyone on purpose?

Lilly Johansen, The Fae: Who taught you that promises are so important? Who have you broken a promise to? Did you punish yourself?

Suzy Sheldon, The Mortal: What's the single biggest mystery you're investigating that no one else believes is important? Have you done anything you knew you weren't supposed to while trying to get to the bottom of it?

Iggy Cage, The Ghoul: Tell me a little more about you. Do you have a car or a motorcycle? Do you make friends easily, or are you keeping your distance from people since... well, what happened exactly?

Antony Reyes, The Queen: What's one thing you've started doing since being infected that you were never interested in before? Have any of the people who you've... approached... resisted the idea? What did you do?

Orchid Jensen, The Neighbor: Have you ever seen anything really weird around town? Something you couldn't just chalk up to a good (or bad) high? Do you have a place where you grow your own or are you strictly a middle-man when it comes to the greenery?

Cloud, The Sasquatch: You seem to really be thinking about your future lately. What's one goal you have for this year that you didn't have before now? Has anyone stuck by you since you were young, even though no one else seems to remember you very well?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Jay Robinson, the Cuckoo

So I was a bit of an unexpected surprise. You see, for some medical reason my mother never expected to have children. But one day, she finds out she was pregnant, and eventually out I came! It was a pretty great time, I like to think. It's kind of hard to remember back then, what with being a little baby and all, but things were pretty good. And then...well, things are still okay. But sometimes it's like my parents went "We did it, we had a kid, our job is done." I mean, it's not like they're jerks or anything, they just kinda...forget about me sometimes. I mean, it's not all bad. I can stay out pretty late, and I don't have to worry about them going through my room or anything. It's just that sometimes, I do wish-

Okay, wait hang on I'm sorry, I'm making this kind of depressing. Didn't mean to! Anyway, the best thing about myself that I discovered is that I can sort of...become other people! It's really neat, and I just need some of their clothes. I don't know why it works that way, but it does. I'm generally pretty good, I can fool anyone who knows them. I don't do anything weird, I just like seeing what other people live like - sometimes they have exciting lives and don't seem to care! And sometimes, they have problems that could easily be solved with just a little help from...yours truly! hehe

The first time I found out was when my friend Mike Walerian left some clothes at my house by accident. He was going off to soccer practice later, and changed here to save time. But then he forgot to pick them up, and I even forgot about them until later. There was this cool party he had been invited to, but he was complaining about having to go with do something with his family (as if that's a bad thing). And...this sounds really dumb, but while I was thinking about what it would be like to go to that party I saw his clothes and I kinda thought I could at least imagine....what it would be like to be him. So I put them on and suddenly I'm Mike! I take them off, and I'm back to me. Then I realize that, you know...if Mark is busy right now, I could go instead. As him. I, uh, didn't have an invitation. So I did, and I had a good time. Tried not to be TOO great a life of the party though, ha ha! Because that would be kind of awkward if people started talking about it to him.

It worked out pretty well, and I wound up doing it a few more times. But I must have pushed my luck, because he began to act weird around me and ask me about the clothes he left. I lied and said they were probably lost or thrown out and I think he believed me, but...we don't really hang out anymore. I kind of regret that. But I made new friends! And I've met a bunch of new people and if I'm careful, I can be whoever I want! It's gonna be a great year.

quote:

Look: Exuberant, innocent eyes

Origin: Miracle baby

Stats

Hot 2, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark -1

Moves:

Feathers
Your magic lets you pass as the person whose clothes you're wearing. When you're seen wearing someone else's clothes, but aren't yet passing, roll with hot. On a 10 up, you're passing as them - you'd fool their mother and their favorite hookup. Mark the outfit you're wearing below. On a 7-9, same as above, but choose one:
- the magic will dissipate if you kiss or get kissed,
- the magic will dissipate if you lash out at anyone.
While you're passing as someone, give social Conditions you receive to them instead. Physical Conditions still stick to you. Anyone who takes Feathers also gets Shredding the Looking Glass.

Shredding the Looking Glass
When someone suspects you're not who you appear to be, read them this:
"If the enchantment were to be broken, the edges would be very sharp. You momentarily notice a gap in my magic. Choose one:
- tear my magic away - my identity is revealed and the clothes are in tatters, but you get scratched up in the process and take 1 harm,
- or, shake your head to clear it - it was nothing."

That Good
While you're passing as someone, if anyone would gain a String on you, they instead gain it on the person you're passing as.

Outfits (Mark while passing as)
You can collect more than four, of course.

Sex Move
Once you've had sex with someone, add 1 to your rolls for passing as them. (List them here, and also add +1's to your outfit list.)
People you've slept with:

Darkest Self
Somebody is a hack at playing themselves in their own life. It grates on you. It's time for you, the understudy, to take that place in the spotlight; you portray them so much better than they do. It's time to take them out of the picture, using whatever means necessary. Replace them. You escape your Darkest Self when something they do surprises you, or someone shows a genuine care for them, or you succeed.

Backstory:

You've stolen an outfit from someone. Record it under Outfits and gain a String on that person.

Someone gave you an outfit so that you could impersonate them - discuss with them and decide why. Record it under Outfits and you each get a String on one another.

Rosanna Battaglia. She likes to think of me as her "gay best friend", even though I've told her I'm more like her bi best friend. But she's still pretty cool, so we talk and hang out.

Home Economics. It helps to know how to cook for myself and whatever else they're gonna teach. Plus it's fun!

Drama. Now, you'd think I would be one of the actors, and I probably could do a great job! But no, I'm just there to help in the background. It's not that I hate acting, it's just easier to get clothes from people who changed into costume. See, sometimes in the chaos of performance night, things get thrown around and your regular clothes go...missing. (Because I take them, haha)

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Orchid

So, ok. I know there is some weird stuff that goes on but I've never been able to chalk it up -exactly- to one thing or another most of the time. When you wander around as much as I do though you just kinda see poo poo sometimes.

The guy who runs the smoke shop, name is Saul. Really cool dude, always fun to hang out with. I swear I saw him out on the outskirts, near a pond and he was having a conversation with someone. It looked like he was just talking to himself at first so I start walking over and I swear, once I hit a certain point its like...I don't know.

Have you ever had one of those trips where you step through a doorway and you're like in another dimension? It was like..I don't know how to describe it. He looked similar but..different. Brighter. Everything did. I swear I saw wings. Like, fairy wings. But I don't know if I was just seeing things. It was really blurry and unclear but he was talking to a group of people who looked kinda like he did. I don't know how to explain it properly in a way that fits into words just..it was like I had stepped into another world. Like any sane person I got the hell out of there sharpish, and I don't think I was seen, but it's got me wondering about what the hell Saul does in his free time.

As for growing, I am learning how to do a proper hydroponics setup but frankly if I can just buy it and leave the growing to someone else I'll be happy to not get screwed if the cops decide to be jackasses for now. They already don't like me enough. I do keep a few jars of truffles, like...underground mushrooms? Yeah some of those will make you trip pretty hard and they don't require a lot of effort to make, so I just keep a couple jars of them growing underneath the passenger seat of the van. They're totally wicked, man.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy

"Safe. Don't know if I'll ever be 'safe'. Like one of those guns in the pickup of a senior - 'safe', but you know some day it's gonna go off. Crap, I was sacred of my own reflection at first. Turns out I'm safe from that. I kind of amped up everything I already did. I've got these," Amy reaches up and bats her bangs, which hang down into her eyes. "Add in a hoodie and sunglasses if I need, and people generally don't want to look at me. Best way, honestly? Just hunch. Nobody pays much attention to a creepy girl in the hoodie. They don't want to. Works good with the other kids. Adults you just kind of have to act sullen. I stare at my feet a lot. Nobody's pushed me on it - Mom's said outright that she's going to 'let me go through my phase'" Amy pulls her hands out of her sleeves to make the actual air quotes. "Teachers...I guess they have more going on than caring about the emo girl."

Amy's head tilts slightly, her eyes seeming to lift. Perhaps a glance can be caught through her hair. "Once," she says. "Jake Iverson was giving me poo poo a while back. 'Cause, you know, I guess I'm one of the 'artsy' kids and so of course I must have been the one who snagged his weed. As if, he smokes poo poo. Can't reason with a brick wall. So he caught me in a back hall and slammed me and he's clearly getting ready to rough me up. Fight, right? I just looked at him. I look at him as hard as I could. (Sounds stupid to say aloud now...). He knew something was wrong. I could hear it. I could hear his bones cracking, things hardening inside him. Every motion slowed, his legs went stiff. I wriggled my way free and ran like gently caress. He was in school the next day, so I guess it wore off? Avoided me, though. Everybody avoided me. Are they all scared of me now?"

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Cloud

mistaya posted:

You seem to really be thinking about your future lately. What's one goal you have for this year that you didn't have before now? Has anyone stuck by you since you were young, even though no one else seems to remember you very well?
I want to get in a fight. It's not like I need to keep my disciplinary record clean for colleges anymore. The next time I see someone loving with anyone like I've been hosed with, I'm taking off my belt and stepping in. Not as a distraction so they can run away. Not to use my words or some other bullshit. I've got a lot of anger to work out.

I think I know who's gonna end up being my bait, too. Someone who's invested as much as I have in our college prospects, and who's acting like they're more disappointed than me that I don't have a future anymore: the gifted kid, Ash. We've sat together on the bus since they moved next door, and since then they skipped a couple grades back in the day and caught up to me, so they'll be graduating this year even though are just turning 16. Neither of us say much to each other ever, but it's because what we do say means more than what other people say, which is just a bunch of noise. We get each other, probably because we're both from broken families, have been beat up a lot, and spend our lunches doing that day's homework and evenings reading ahead and hiding from the world. They probably feel like an rear end though for getting me to agree that life was gonna be better at UT. Maybe we could get a place together in Austin? Not anymore...

poo poo, this is probably like the first major difference in our lives. Guess all good things must come to an end. Fuckin' sucks.

The worst part of it though, is I'm afraid Ash might follow me down my path instead of taking the one we both deserve. That'd be so loving dumb, though! I mean, being there for each other was always about rising up and escaping from all the poo poo around us, not about, I dunno, togetherness. If I had to leave Ash behind to get away, I'd do it without a second thought! It's the right choice, why choose now to stop making the right choice?

It's just like when we're gonna get beat up, we run in different directions. Sometimes the bullies just chase one of us and the other can get away clean for free. That's life! Don't come back for me or we'll just both get caught.

Why do I get the feeling the next time it happens you're gonna come back for me, Ash?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

mistaya posted:

Iggy Cage, The Ghoul: Tell me a little more about you. Do you have a car or a motorcycle? Do you make friends easily, or are you keeping your distance from people since... well, what happened exactly?

Well you're awfully loving morbid, aren't you?
I was enjoying a cruise on my motorcycle, some idiot decided their phone was super important, and splat! Exploded all over the road, blood and guts everywhere.
...I swear, if you're getting turned on by this I'm going to run you over and see how you like it. Weirdo.

This place is full of freaks like that, or idiots who dig the bad girl schtick.
So yeah, I make 'friends' easy; I just don't like 'em.
Besides, they're all useless. Not many people who'd grab a mop to clean up their friends hit and run. Which is dumb as hell, but at least it's something.
Something called blackmail.

[Storyteller gets Morbid
Roll with Cold(++) to Turn On Storyteller]

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 20, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

mistaya posted:

Suzy Sheldon, The Mortal: What's the single biggest mystery you're investigating that no one else believes is important? Have you done anything you knew you weren't supposed to while trying to get to the bottom of it?

So like I said, sometimes it takes an outside look to see whats off. When mom moved back here with me (she grew up here, and it keeps us away from dad) probably the first thing that really jumped out at me as being strange was the Odessa Stonehenge. At first it sounds weird, but kind of cool, right? Fun place for a picnic or make outs, awesome spot for some photography. Bit of an odd idea for a tourist attraction, but one that'd probably work. Wrong. Er, I mean it is all that, but that isn't why they made it.

I went down there to take a few photos, and I noticed the traces of all these runes and symbols drawn on the ground. Might have been chalk that was mostly brushed off. I did a bit more looking, and there was a bunch of burn marks and a few candle stubs laying around too. I went back the next few days, but nothing changed. The chalk faded a bit more as people walked over it, and I think someone eventually threw the candle stubs away, but nothing new showed up. Might have been some kids graffiti-ing the place. But then, a couple nights later I noticed it out of my bedroom window, the place was lit up with the faint glow of firelight.

I wanted to see what was going on, so I snuck out of the house. Mom wasn't so strong on that back home, but she's really down on me about it now we live in "the most dangerous city in texas", circa 2013 anyway, so if she found out I probably would have been grounded for a month. Anyway. Snuck out, and made my way across town to it. When I got nearer, I could hear chanting or something, but right as I was getting close enough to see and snap a few pictures, it stopped and the lights went out. A few minutes later, a group of people in dark red robes walked out from the henge and into the visitor parking lot and all drove back into town. After that I crept into the area and took a pictures of fresh marks on the ground. One of them was a full sized pentacle thing, with what might have been blood in the center!

After that I kept watch on the area from my window at night, but it didn't light up again. No one I said anything to believed that the signs I took photos of were anything but a teenage prank though. Not that I told more than a few people at school, no telling who might have been under those robes. Full moon is next week though, and I'll bet anything they'll be out there again. This time though, so will I. I can see the headlines already, School Newspaper reveals death cult performing satanic rituals at the Odessa Stonehenge. The newspaper club won't be so insignificant when that story breaks, I'll tell you.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

You'll... you'll keep your promise, right? You can't tell anyone. I'd... I'd have to move, again - and that's only if they don't catch me.

So, uhmm, I know this sounds crazy, but I'm a, uh... a unicorn, my parents said so. Stop laughing! I don't lie, it's wrong. We're real, but the horse with a horn thing is a metaphor. We're, well, blessed is the only word for it. I can help people. I've been able to since around preschool. It's not big stuff... I'm just, it's stuff like being able to ask bullies to stop being cruel, and having them listen, or convincing kids that have given up in school that they can still pass their classes. I'm able to help other people believe in themselves. It's sometimes even enough. So yeah, I'm blessed! Everybody wants to make the world a better place, right? And I have an easier time of it.

There are a few problems though. There's people that don't seem to like unicorns, or maybe just me, but they... follow me. My parents - they try to help, but they don't really understand me - have kept me safe from them. That's why we moved here a few months ago... but our old house caught fire the night after we moved. That's, well, I can't let them find out I'm here. At the same time I have to keep helping people! There's sooo many people that just need a little help, one person to care and say the right thing at the right time. And I'm going to be that help, that person, as often as I can be. It's the least I can do. I'm not bragging... I'm not actually all that good at it. I'm sure if other people were blessed they would be like... superheroes. But I'll keep on trying.

Besides, I like Odessa. Compared to Alaska, which is the last place we lived, it's amazing how warm and sunny it is here all the time! There's way more to do in this town than in Delta Junction, and this is my senior year. I'm trying out for the track team to do hurdles even - nooo, I know you're thinking it, but it's not a horse thing! I'm just used to running a lot. And there's way more kids here, and I'm making friends already. My parents and I got invited to a barbecue last week, and it was sooo much fun! This town has a movie theater. The last town I lived in didn't even have a Blockbuster. I really don't want to have to move away.

Anyways, I promised you I'd tell you why I was acting weird, so I did. Now you gotta keep your promise to me, ok? Please?

quote:

Name: Summer Daniels
Skin: The Unicorn
Look: Trick of the Light, Solitary Eyes
Origin: Blessed

Stats
Volatile: 1
Dark: -1
Integrity: 0

People Should Never:
Eat meat*, lie, talk back, be selfish, hurt the environment, break the law, support sweatshops, disobey elders, swear*, dance, drive a car, do drugs, appropriate cultures, bully, gossip, misgender people, make someone cry, cheat, take the Lord's name in vain*, reveal a friend's secrets, exploit others.

*Summer won't do these things but she's totally given up on convincing others.
The underlined actions are the ones that she finds most upsetting.

Moves
With Integrity
You judge your own actions harshly, holding yourself to a high moral standard. You have a fifth stat to reflect this, which starts at zero and can climb to 3. Gain a point of Integrity when you
  • take the moral highground about an issue that matters
  • you follow through on something important that you say you'll do.
You can gain up to 1 Integrity per scene. When a move calls for you to roll with integrity, erase 1 Integrity after you roll.

A Good Person
Spend an Integrity to offer someone an experience point to do what you say. If they undertake to do that thing, and you directed them towards making a third party happier at no one's expense, mark experience.

Speak From The Heart
When you have someone else's best interests at heart, add 2 to your rolls to manipulate an NPC.

Sex Moves
You have three intimacy moves:
When you lay your head in a virgin's lap, gain a point of Integrity and choose:
  • give them 1 forward to protecting you,
  • roll to turn them on.
When you kiss a non-virgin, take 1 harm.
When you have sex, lose all your Integrity.

Darkest Self
This is it. Everything falls apart, and you can't hold it together anymore. It's not because everything is too much to bear just that you aren't good enough. So beg their forgivenesses, everyone you've wronged by being too weak to help; and show them how sorry you are, in whatever small ways you can muster before the final curtain falls. Don't seek their acceptance. You don't deserve it. You escape your Darkest Self when someone reflects to you a glimmer of your own self worth.

Backstory:
Someone is thinking about taking something from you - discuss with them and decide what it is. You each get a String on one another.

Someone's in love with you and has told you about their feelings. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Going to take the Hunted Move eventually, to reflect whatever strange cult is after her locating her again. For now though, it's early in the school year and she only moved here a few months ago, so they're still trying to track her down. Guess she'll need to keep a low profile, huh?

Q1: The football team has a lot of really nice guys on it. Unfortunately, Pete Beagle isn't one of them. He's rather huge, and I guess his parents raised him to think he should use that blessing to hurt other people sometimes. Oftentimes, actually. Always wears his red Letterman's jacket, has red hair and freckles too.
Q2: I signed up to be an Office Aide. I don't understand why more people didn't... it's a very easy A, you just help the teachers and administrators out in the front office. Run messages, collect assignments from teachers for sick kids to send home to their parents, read the morning announcements, stuff like that. It's actually really fun.
Q3: Track and Field, and I think I'll be able to make the team. Its both practical given me, uh, being a unicorn - and I'm actually pretty fast, too. Not a lot of people can do the hurdles, but I'm a natural - especially the 300 meter. Most people get tired and drop their form, but I've gotten really good at powering through. Hoping to lower my PR by at least five seconds this year, maybe even go to sectionals!

Rauri fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 20, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Every school has one. That one kid with a chip on his shoulder and a big fuckin' mouth. The Bender (Breakfast Club, not Futurama). That's me. Only not so much with the whole getting the hot chick with my fist in the air part, 'cause gently caress me if I can ever catch a break. Well... until recently, but we'll get to that.

Here, I'll spill my guts for you. See if you can get a bingo.

My home life is garbage, no matter which I'm stuck at (broken home, check). When I'm not being press-ganged into seeing a shrink by my mom (when she stops working long enough to remember I exist), I gotta put up with my dad, who's either passed out or pissed off since he got laid off at his desk job a little while back. I have one older brother, who gave me my first smoke, but he peaced out the second he turned seventeen (I was like twelve or something). Who can blame him? I can't wait to ditch this poo poo-heap, but when I leave, I'm gonna do it in style.

See, it all started with this text message I got a couple weeks back. Figured my dealer hosed up and hit a wrong number, cause who else would send me a message on a burner phone? Ain't never been happy to be so wrong. The way he wrote had a cult leader vibe to it -- you know, 'do what I say and you'll receive your just reward' or whatever the gently caress. Asked me what I wanted, and since he was on my mind I brought up my dealer and the fact I owed him some cash. A lot. Like 200 bucks. He told me to go tag the community center with some Satanic poo poo and it'd all work out. Weird? Sure. But I had the spraypaint and very little to lose, so I went for it. Lo and fuckin' behold, next day, cops investigated my dealer for vandalism and found him holding a hell of a lot of weed.

And that was only the beginning, he said.

So I wasn't exactly surprised when he stopped the texting and kind of started hitchhiking in my head. The dude could make things happen -- not just getting me poo poo, but manipulating people and even whole situations in my favor, which ain't what you'd call 'normal'. It's totally cool, though. I don't mind being his meal ticket when he can get me an in with the hottest girl in the school (though he didn't have to laugh when I got caught putting sugar in the principal's gas tank for him). He could ask just about anything and I'd do it, 'cause for the first time in my life, I get what I want.

quote:

Name: Connor Rhodes
Look: Vicious; calculating eyes
Skin: The Infernal
Origin: Lackey

Stats:
Hot: -1
Volatile: 2

Darkest Self:

You cant get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own addictions. The dark power will make some open-ended demands of you, and itll promise you some lucrative (and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole again, to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill those demands, remove a String it holds on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power.

Sex Move

When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Moves:

Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.
Dark Power: Paimon, the Even-Handed

Unknowable
When you lash out physically against someone, on a 10 up, they lose 1 String on you. On a 7-9, add to your list of options: they lose 1 String on you.

Bare Your Fangs
While you are your Darkest Self, you may use Volatile instead of Cold to shut someone down or hold steady.

Bargains:
The Power Flows Through You
You can give the dark power a String in order to add 2 to your next roll (choose before rolling).
Uncanny Voices
You can give the dark power a String in order to realize a secret about someone youre talking to. The owner of that character will reveal one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

Your Backstory:
You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

Advancements

Johanna Linley, the hot chick I mentioned earlier. Family moved in from Australia Freshman year, and half the male population of the school's had their eye on her since. Paimon told me about her addiction to uppers, so I tossed her some Adderall before calculus -- everyone needs a pick-me-up sometimes, right? She's a hard partier, or so the rumors go, and being on her good side is gonna get me invited to all the places I wanna be.

I didn't just sign up for Art class because it's a good place to gently caress around. Yeah, there's a lot of gently caress-ups and flamers in here, but they're kind of my people. Misfits. Druggies. People who see poo poo differently. I mostly paint abstract poo poo, but we're focusing on portraiture now and it sucks.

Most of the Drama nerds hang around in art class -- there's a lot of overlap -- and I saw a couple of 'em eyeing a landscape I was painting. Usually I tell people watching me paint to gently caress off, but Paimon made it sound like they had a good deal going. So when they asked me to paint sets for 'em, I said why the hell not? It's kind of fun to watch these dorks having a good time, and it gives me something to keep me out of the house longer. plus the guy trying out for the lead role this year is kind of interesting (no homo) but if you tell anyone I said that you're fuckin' dead.

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 25, 2015

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

mistaya posted:

Antony Reyes, The Queen: What's one thing you've started doing since being infected that you were never interested in before? Have any of the people who you've... approached... resisted the idea? What did you do?
I've been doing all kinds of new things since I joined the Collective. Some are good, some... aren't. I get compulsions to eat weird things, which is part of why I'm taking home-ec. I also sometimes feel the Queen pushing me to bring more people into the collective. On the other hand, I can talk to people now. I used to be crippled by anxiety in social situations, but now, it's so easy. I don't know why I didn't see it before; the secret to doing it was just to do it. And once you get over the hump, it's so easy to get other people to do what you want. They're like cattle. Sure, some people think I'm pushy, or domineering, or an rear end in a top hat, but what do they know? I'm just flexing my new-found muscles. Who wouldn't?

And yeah, we've met with some resistance. The thing of it is, you can't force the collective onto anyone*; this isn't Wrath of Khan, where you can tie someone into a chair and stick a worm in their ear. The Queen's children are too fragile for that. If you fight them while they're still larval, you'll win. The only way to join up with us is to let the right one in. Literally. That's partly why I haven't turned my parents yet, or my sister. If they resisted, and went to the cops...

But, well... you don't have to understand every little bit of what's happening to join us either. When Mandy turned Efrem at band camp, he thought he was just scoring with the girl of his dreams. Which he was, but he got so much more than that. I think he still resents me because of that. After Efrem, I got more choosy, and tried to select people who'd want to join of their own accord. Like Ashley Bishop, our tuba player; everyone knew that she wanted to join the color guard, but couldn't because she was too fat. Not that that's an official policy or anything, because the school would get in deep poo poo, but, well; lycra bodysuits do not lie. So I told her I'd discovered this fantastic new way of losing weight. Which I had. The symbiotes can control all kinds of your body's processes: say goodbye to unsightly acne, forget about that excess body hair, and watch the pounds literally melt right off. She went after it like it was cake. Now she's thirty pounds lighter and rubbing it in Anna Brooks' face every chance she gets. Let's see Atkins do that!

Am I making it sound appealing yet? Why don't you join us?

*I'm playing it this way specifically to avoid rapey overtones. I know Monsterhearts is supposed to go to dark places, but not that dark. It's more of an STD or drug metaphor.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I noticed something interesting, might potentially be a source of Drama.

Looking at the Disaffected move, which links Turn On to Cold ("I Shut people Down and they love me for it"), and especially if I shift the Hunger to Power, then Iggy's basically got the skillset to save up for college/motorcycle repairs by being a professional dominatrix. Like, not the sexhaver kind, but the kind that gets paid serious, white-collar money to yell at people. Can even do it over the internet these days.

It blurs the line between the supernatural Ghoul and the mundane, which I like for highlighting how diverse people can be without having to make up supernatural things, that you're not totally defined by your Skin. Like how this game leaves up in the air how literal or metaphorical the Skins actually are.

That you have to talk around the matter makes it a deep dark secret. She definitely doesn't want it getting out, and it would certainly color how Iggy views other people.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

mistaya posted:

FIRST ROUND QUESTIONS:

Lilly Johansen, The Fae: Who taught you that promises are so important? Who have you broken a promise to? Did you punish yourself?

I've always known promises are important. They just are. You don't make a promise you're not intending to keep. Still I remember dad got real drunk one Christmas and started talking about it, telling stories about Mom. Apparently she used to take her promises seriously as well. So I wonder if that's where I get it from. Maybe it's my own small way to try and do her proud. I still remember my Mom's last promise to me that she'd always be there for me when I really needed her. Guess we can't keep all our promises no matter how hard we try an important lesson I guess. But I'd still rather have my Mom.

Can we talk about something more cheerful? A promise I've broken huh wow yeah cause that'll cheer me up. Well there's been a few. I'm not proud of myself for breaking them. But sometimes circumstances get in the way. But one was a big learning experience. Back when I was 8 or 9 I persuaded my dad to get me a cute little rabbit Mr Bun Bun that better not be sniggering. It took a lot of arguing and pleading but eventually I had my very own pet even though in the end I had to promise that I'd look after him properly. Oh It wasn't a problem at first when he was still new and exciting and was small and cute. But as he got older and Mr Bun-Bun turned into Mr Fat-Bun well I started to lose interest. To cut a long story short I ended up forgetting about him when we went on holiday and Mr Bun-Bun was Mr Rabbit Stew. I felt awful not only for what I'd done to the poor animal but because I broke my promise. I was physically sick over it for weeks Dad even ended up taking me to see a doctor but they couldn't find anything wrong with me. But I know it was because I broke my promise. Every time I break one I end up getting hurt it's never the same way twice but I'm more careful these days about what I promise.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

There's a lot of good subs already so I'm going to close initial aps tomorrow afternoon, if you want to post one or at least post interest do it before then please! (Partial aps and questions will get a few more days to finish up.)

FIRST ROUND QUESTIONS:

Rob Howard, the Werewolf: Have you ever 'escaped' being locked up on a full moon? What did you do? If you have dreams of reincarnation, why do you think suicide is the answer? Won't you just come back again as someone else?

Jay Robinson, the Cuckoo: Do you spend a lot of time in disguise or only once in a while? Is there anyone you wish you could be... permanently? Have you ever used a disguise to get someone in trouble?

Summer Daniels, the Unicorn: Are you too shy to make friends, or do you find it easy? Are you very religious, or what do you mean by 'blessed'? Tell me about the person you think you helped the most, and the one that you couldn't help no matter how hard you tried.

Connor Rhodes, the Infernal: What's the best part of being in the "In" crowd for once? Have you got an 'out' planned in case this deal ever goes sour? What's the weirdest thing you've been asked to do, and did you ever understand why?

SECOND ROUND QUESTIONS:

Amelia Saunders, The Gorgon: Have you ever tried to track down the person who gave you the power? Do you think there's a cure out there somewhere, and do you want it? Have you found any way to use your power for 'good' or to have fun? What else do you like to do for fun?

Lilly Johansen, The Fae: Alright let's be more cheerful. What's the one thing you're looking forward to doing the most this year that you couldn't do before now? Has anyone kept a promise to you that surprised you?

Suzy Sheldon, The Mortal: Have you tried recruiting anyone else for the Newspaper club? How did that go? Have you earned any embarrassing nicknames at school? Are you ever worried that you might get caught by people who don't want the truth to get out?

Iggy Cage, The Ghoul: Has anything... unfortunate... happened to any of your 'friends'? Where are you staying now, and with who?

Antony Reyes, The Queen: That does sound nice... Has anyone LEFT the Collective, and what happened to them if they did? Are you still the unofficial leader or has someone else tried to take on that role? People must have noticed you're a little different now, is everyone you know happy for you or is there anyone who's worried about all the sudden changes?

Orchid Jensen, The Neighbor: What's your favorite place to chill in Odessa? Have you ever thought of leaving town? Is there anyone who's tried to tie you down, in a relationship or otherwise? What did you tell them?

Cloud Miles, The Sasquatch: Have you really given up on college or are you still looking for loopholes? Are there any teachers you've impressed over the years who are trying to help you? If you're just going to skate by this year, what kind of things do you want to do outside of school?

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Lucas "Lucca" Flower - The Witch

Hello! I'm Lucas but I prefer Lucca. It's cute and it's what my mom calls me. She says it's because I'm the light in her life.

I'm a great student at OHS. Mostly because the teachers are paid by the pass and will give a few thousand points of extra credit on gimmes. My last history test seriously had "Where is the capital of the United States?" for like 10 extra points. Not exactly challenging stuff. But it gives me plenty of time to mess around. Which would be nice if there was anything to do here. I make my own fun though. I have fashion projects, I take pictures or I visit my friends house. Or I do some magic.

You see, I'm a wizard. Or a sorcerer. Whatever you call them, I'm a magic boy. During Freshman year, I was wandering around my house one day and I found this book I've never seen before, it was black and made out of leather and it had my name on it. I thought my mom bought me another scrap book but when I touched it, it lit up like the fourth of July, glowing and shooting sparks. Scared the crap out of me. I dropped it and ran. When I worked up the courage to go back into the house, I picked up the book again and it was written in a language I've never seen before but it all made sense. There were formulas and chants. Weird right?

Fast forward a little, I don't exactly know what happened but I was hanging out with my friend. We were drinking and he told me to take a picture of him. I must of slurred or said something bad because he started to beat me up. I just grabbed him and the words from the book came to me and he stopped. He ran home after that.

quote:

Name: Lucas Flowers
Look: Coy with playful eyes
Skin: Witch
Origin: Gifted

Stats: Hot: -1, Cold: 1, Volatile: -1, Dark: 2

Sex Move
After sex, you can take a sympathetic token from them. They know about it, and its cool.

Darkest Self
The time for subtlety and patience is over. Youre too powerful to put up with their garbage any longer. You hex anyone who slights you. All of your hexes have unexpected side effects, and are more effective than you are comfortable with. To escape your Darkest Self, you must offer peace to the one you have hurt the most.

Moves
Transgressive Magic
When your ritual transgresses the communitys moral & sexual standards, add 1 to your hex-casting roll.

Hexes
Illusions
Pick one: snakes and bugs, demonic visages, false prophecies, non-existent subtext. The hexed sees that thing everywhere.
You have no control over the exact images or manifestations.

Binding
The person cannot physically harm others.

quote:

Remember the guy who beat me up? We're still friends. His name is Travis Williams. He's a wide receiver for the football team. He's pretty popular but he's a little egotistical and insecure. Always trying to one-up me, you know?

quote:

I signed up for Photography. I got a really cool digital camera for my birthday when I was a freshman and I've been taking pictures ever since.

quote:

I'm equipment manager for the football team because Travis said they needed one. It super easy because I just tell people what to do. Plus, I get to travel with the team and go see the real towns.

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 21, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Vampire Idea Work in Progress:

Victoria Rausing, the Vampire

Odessa isn't exactly my idea of a good time, with the bright beaming sun and those weirdly religious people always worried about sin. Not my sort of place at all. Father, however, says that this will be a nice learning experience for me after what happened in Seattle. Apparently, I need to be more careful with what sorts I decide to take nourishment from. Leave marks on the wrong people and it sends out signals for the sort who don't take kindly to vampires eating from their own.

Take kindly. Now I'm talking like them. Luckily for me, I'm nearly out from under the family's thumb. The ones who "adopted" me, for lack of a better term. Bit me, had me feed from them, whatever the process was. They're my new family. All I have to do is graduate from high school, get a legitimate diploma, and then I'm off the leash. With all of the old money the family has, all I really have to do is make a good enough impression for some ivy league school and I should be fine for whatever I feel like doing

I've been around more than most of the people around here, but I'm still young. The 90s weren't that long ago, and while a lot of things have changed, teenagers really haven't. Of course, I can't just go around and bring attention to myself, especially given the personal status. People seem to love their outdoor speeches, and while the sun won't instantly light me on fire or anything, it's not exactly comfortable. Wasn't so bad when there were more clouds.

quote:

Name: Victoria Rausing
Skin: The Vampire
Look: Aloof, hungry eyes
Origin: Taken this century

Stats:
Hot: +1
Cold: +2
Dark: -1

Darkest Self:

Everyone is your pawn, your plaything. You hurt them and make them vulnerable, for sport, like a cat does with a
mouse. You feed to the point of death whenever youre alone with someone, though you take your time. You
escape your Darkest Self when youre put in your rightful place, by someone more powerful than you.

Sex Move:

When you deny someone sexually, gain a String on them.
When you have sex with someone, lose all Strings on that person.

Moves:

The Feeding
You feed on hot blood. If this is the first time theyve ever been fed upon, you both mark experience. When you feed, choose two:
}} you heal 1 harm previously suffered,
}} you carry 1 forward,
}} they dont die.

Cold as Ice
When you successfully shut someone down (7 up), you may choose an extra option from the 7-9 list.

Starting Strings:

Youre beautiful. Gain a String on everyone.

Someone once saved your unlife. They gain 2 Strings on you.

Advancements:

I try not to aimlessly gossip about the others at school, it sets a bad precedent and tends to make the wrong kind of enemies. That being said, Randy Wilson, one of the guys on the football team, has something going on. He certainly seems to be overcompensating for something. Lots of time in the gym, never really much of a social life outside of his sports, but you shouldn't tell him that. He nearly beat up a girl half his size for bringing it up. Something's not right, even if he's very easy on the eyes.

Spanish. I wanted to take Italian like I did back when I first went to high school, but Odessa High doesn't seem to be very big on multiculturalism. The teachers in the language department are all white and have most likely learned their Spanish from way too many drunken trips to Tijuana.

The Future Business Leaders of America seemed like a good fit this time around, given the family money I supposedly have. I could see if the basketball team was looking for more players, but it seems like a lot of work for not much gain. Better something that doesn't have quite that much sweating.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

mistaya posted:

Rob Howard, the Werewolf: Have you ever 'escaped' being locked up on a full moon? What did you do? If you have dreams of reincarnation, why do you think suicide is the answer? Won't you just come back again as someone else?

Before I changed the second time, I tried locking myself in the basement, but the lock wasn't good enough and I broke out. Woke up the next morning naked next to a ripped-up rabbit a couple miles from the house, almost died of embarrassment running back home cupping my junk. I'm drat lucky nobody saw me, or that I didn't hurt anybody - 'least as far as I know. I got a better lock and put it in myself; nobody questioned it because I've had to do most of the chores around the house anyway. Dad's busy at the hospital trying to earn enough for Mom; she's so sick with the chemo it's hard for her to get out of bed. Blessing in disguise, really - makes it easy to cover my tracks. Hah! Tracks. Anyway, I haven't gotten out since then, but that could always change. That's why I need to kill myself, but Mom -

Is it wrong to hope she dies soon? Because I don't want her to have to deal with a monster for a son, or maybe even get hurt because of me. She doesn't deserve that, she's always been good to me. Like when I wanted to try out for the team freshman year, Dad didn't want me to - waved a bunch of statistics about injuries and brain damage in my face - but Mom insisted on letting me do it. And she likes my writing, the stuff I've shown her - encourages me to keep going with it. That's why I'll stay with her, no matter how hard it gets. But I will have to end it when she's gone, and awful as it is to admit, it would be better for everyone if it was soon.

You think I didn't think of the reincarnating bit? Yeah, I know that's a problem. I know I'm just kicking the can down the road, leaving the problem for the future people to deal with. But that probably won't be for another century or two, will it? Maybe they'll have a cure, a treatment, something by then. And to tell you the truth, I'm getting sick of living in this drat century. Now everyone's selfish, just looking out for themselves, their own fun. Now, a hundred, hundred-and-fifty years ago, back in the pioneer days, things were different. Yeah, it was hard, but people took care of each other, dammit! All that hardship, it just made them stronger. But now things are too easy, too "civilized," and it's made most everybody rotten. Rotten to the drat core! And one of these days, it's all gonna come crashing down. Sooner or later, the people in this drat degenerate society are going to have to answer for the poo poo they did. Things are gonna get hard again - things are gonna change for the better. People are gonna change for the better. Those people are gonna help me deal with my problem. Not these assholes who're around today, that's for sure. Lucky if I don't get locked in a drat cage by some government spooks, poked and prodded and studied. I'm not gonna die in a cage, and I'm not gonna die hurting people. I'm gonna die on my terms, nobody else's!

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 21, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

mistaya posted:

Summer Daniels, the Unicorn: Are you too shy to make friends, or do you find it easy?

It's usually fairly easy - when you're nice, and you treat people with respect, they tend to like being around you. But there's... well, there are some issues. One is that some kids tend to only remember that we're friends when they need my help. Another is that there are some kids that are only friends with the "bad kids", and they tend to be really suspicious of me. So it can be hard to get close to them, and sometimes when I try they think that it's so I can tattle or narc on them. And my parents won't let me have any social media accounts - so we don't make it any easier for the coat-people to find me - but it makes it hard to maintain friendships, especially since I move so much.

I'm not complaining about this stuff - I mean, I might be, do you think I am? I'm sorry if you do, I really am, I just wanted to give you a complete picture... Oh, that sounded so miserable. It's not actually that bad! I've had lots of friends all over the country, and I'm making some new ones here already.

mistaya posted:

Are you very religious, or what do you mean by 'blessed'?

"Very spiritual" I think. I mean, I am religious... we used to go to church, but my parents stopped going when I was about twelve. Once I got my license I started going by myself, and they come with me on Christmas. But I've gone to a lot of different denominations - and even some other religion's services, and so far I think this one Unitarian church in St Louis was my favorite. I definitely believe in God, and Jesus, and especially heaven.

But I'm not... I don't think a lot of people get it right. Jesus didn't want to have things, he didn't hurt anyone even when they hurt him, he just wanted to help others and loved everyone so much he'd even die for them. I... I'm not Jesus, no one can be, but I'm trying everyday to be like him. But I'm not really concerned with the really strict rules. Being a good person isn't linked to Christianity or even religion - being a good person is knowing that you're worth something, and everyone else is too, and then caring that you know.

As for being blessed... that's really the only way I know how to put it. When I was little, my parents said they saw the glowing light near my head when I smiled at them sometimes. Not a halo, not really, but that's what it made them think of. More a light from my forehead - Ajna, if you know anything about Hinduism. Luckily It's never really that obvious unless you know to look for it, but that's why I say that I'm blessed. I get to see the good in people all the time, the them they could be if they just had a little more love or one more person to care... and then I get to be that person. It's actually selfish of me... I've gotten back at least seven times the joy I've been able to bring others. I'll work harder in Odessa, I promise.

mistaya posted:

Tell me about the person you think you helped the most, and the one that you couldn't help no matter how hard you tried.
Spoilered sections deals heavily with abuse and self-harm, please skip it if that's potentially upsetting.

Can I, uh, switch the order? So I can end on a high note? Oh, thanks!

So, my biggest failure. Before Delta Junction, Alaska, I was living in Opelika, Alabama. There was a girl there, Anna Bradwell... she was the first person I was friends with after I moved there. Even though her dad was... I don't ever say people are horrible, but he is. He abused her, and her mom. And he... it, he should be in jail. And even though her home was miserable for her, and she had bruises and cuts and burns she kept secret from everyone but me, she was still so outgoing and funny and you'd never have known that she was doing some of it herself. Because she didn't want people to know. And it was... it was a huge problem, I didn't know how to fix it. She wouldn't come live with us even though I offered, she wouldn't report him, she made me promise not to tell anyone. If I did, she said it;d destroy her family. I got her to promise to stop hurting herself, she'd spent the night at my house and it was ... and then, she...

I was going to go to a teacher the next day. I had to tell someone. The next day! But she cut herself really bad, it had to be an accident, her mom said they found her in the bathroom... I didn't even get to visit her in the hospital, her dad wouldn't let me in. I haven't seen her since then, through the glass, in her hospital bed. I... it was all my fault. If I'd told someone, not been such a coward, she wouldn't have had the chance to do it. Really hope I can see her again, so I can apologize to her. She deserves that much.

I've had some successes though. Marcus Johnson was the biggest. We were in fifth grade, and he was both really small and painfully shy, so a lot of the other kids picked on him. Robbie dumped his backpack on the very first day! So I helped him pick it up, and then asked if he wanted to eat lunch with me. Robbie tried making fun of me for it, but it just made him look mean. Marcus was actually really funny - I didn't even get to eat my lunch since he made me laugh so hard milk came out my nose and got on my food! So whenever I hung out with people, I asked them if I could bring Marcus along. No one had known he was hilarious, because they'd made him too shy - but inviting him to things meant the people there would notice.

Soon I didn't have to ask to have him tag along, everyone wanted to hang out with him. He went from being the least popular kid, to everyone thinking he was awesome, and all it took was getting them to spend a little time with him. The best part was, since so many kids had picked on him before, he didn't use his newfound popularity to treat others like he'd been treated. He was funny without making fun of people, and it was just amazing to see how much happier he made everyone around him. His blog's really funny too, it's one of the websites I check each day. I've come really close to leaving him a comment, but I know mom and dad wouldn't want me to. Still, it's fun to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

mistaya posted:

Orchid Jensen, The Neighbor: What's your favorite place to chill in Odessa? Have you ever thought of leaving town? Is there anyone who's tried to tie you down, in a relationship or otherwise? What did you tell them?

My favorite place to chill in town? That's a good question actually this whole place is pretty god damned boring. Comanche Trail. It passes for a park around here, and it's generally pretty quiet and peaceful. I like to just relax around there when I don't feel like taking the van out to the boonies. My real answer would be my van of course, it's practically my house these days, but either one works.

Have I thought of leaving this dull town. Just a bit. I wanna go to Austin, be with my people. Be somewhere with loving trees, and less crazy religious nuts. I swear this town has a never-ending supply of bible thumping sheep.

Has anyone tried to tie me down? Sure, plenty. Only one ever did. Willow Jacobs. She was a student over at the university. She...was one of the few people I can ever say I loved. Of all the ways to meet we had apparently decided to tag the same place for some 'street art' and ended up making a pretty big mess of the West side of the high school by the time we were done. There was always this air of mystery about her, and sometimes she'd just...drop off the face of the earth for a day or two. We had a thing for a while, one of the few times I've ever been in a serious relationship with someone. She knew I wanted to leave, and I had actually gotten everything together and decided gently caress it, I'm done. I was afraid I was getting too close and I wanted out of town anyways.

So I don't even tell Willow, and as I go to head out she just comes out of nowhere. Begs me to stay. I'd never seen her cry before and the sight of it was just too much for me. I agreed to stay here, with her.

After that, things went pretty well for a while, but she started just disappearing more often. And I don't mean like, just not talking to me or something I mean she would just be straight gone and nobody knew where she would go. Every time I would bring it up she'd change the subject or try to play it off like it wasn't a big deal. Obviously that was no good for me, so I started poking around a bit. I know I shouldn't have, but gently caress what would you do with some weird poo poo like that going on?

Her search history was...weird. Lots of stuff on the occult? Demons, different types, what they represented and what they did, and lots of research on documented cases of people making deal with them. Of course, I'm not the most subtle person and the high stoner chick maybe doesn't realize when she should stop snooping when the person she is snooping on is still there and she catches me. I confronted her about it, and after a pretty heated argument she broke down on me.

She said she had made a deal with some demon to give her things, things she wanted. She said she talked to it from time to time and that it asked her to do things, that she was hooked on the feeling of power like a drug. She explained some of the things she did..and I just hugged her. I've known people with serious mental illnesses before, and if it was anyone else I would have been out but gently caress it, Willow was different. I tried talking her into going to therapy, but she was utterly convinced that what was happening was real. We went back and forth with it for a while, and I just couldn't keep going with it at the time. I asked for a bit of space to just kinda think things through.

And..that was the last time I saw her. She just left. Asked around, nobody knew where she went. I tried to put up posters but they just disappeared and the police seemed entirely disinterested for some weird as hell reason. I still worry about her. Every single day. Sometimes when I'm out on the outskirts I think I see someone out in the distance, just watching me. I swear it looks like her, just standing out there in the desert. And that's one of the reasons I still go out there. That's one of the reasons I'm still here in Odessa. I wanna know what happened. I wanna know if she's ok. Or alive. Or..even dead. It'd just..be good to know, so I could move on.

So yeah, I guess I am tied down here, by the memory of Willow. I almost expect her to just show up knocking on the door of the van one day like nothing happened, like she always used to when she'd come back. God I miss her.

• Locked thread