Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Storms in Seattle

A storm is brewing in Seattle. The ancient dragon stirs and her children scramble to secure their legacy. Spies from across the sea ferment chaos to prepare for the invasion to come. Revolution grows in the White King’s Court. The Sea-Tac pact is broken, and the Red Lady’s children push for the heart of the city. Demons scheme to break the ley lines and free the Chained Lord. The horrors of the Undercity rise again and brave knights, with blowtorch and shotgun, gather to put them down.

This is your city. Where do you stand in the war to come?

Urban Shadows is a pbta game with a focus on intrigue and factional conflict in a thriving supernatural city. It draws heavily from the Dresden Files and World of Darkness for its broad strokes setting, and I’ll be doing the same. But its thematic inspiration comes from shows like the Wire and Game of Thrones. The city is full of factions with their own agendas, and those factions are full of people with agency of their own. There’s no pre-planned plot in mind and the characters are not a party, they might barely know each other. But they are interwoven in the intrigue of the city, and what they do matters for everyone.

Apps:
Give me a picture, a bit of background, maybe a quote, and a character sheet.
Tell me an experience you (the person OOC) had or something you know about Seattle.
Make up something that’s different about this Seattle.
What’s your posting schedule look like? What times are best for you? How frequently do you feel like you can post?

How to get picked:
I want a fast paced game, pbps die when they slow down. So be around, get on the #SeattleStorm irc screw irc we're on discord now: https://discord.gg/014zBnJzOb6c0LMYM to chat, if I have questions answering them fast and off the cuff is better than taking a week to craft the perfect response. Just post, and show you’re excited about the game.

Recruitment will end on the 21st.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
I'm definitely interested, thinking of a Vamp right now but it may change.

Asked this in IRC, but probably better to get an answer for everyone: Are we just using the playbooks from the book? There are some old playtest versions of the extra playbooks that seem playable, but not sure if you have them and/or want to deal with them in their non-final form. Either way, it'll be good to know.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I'm not familiar with anything outside of the core book, so you'll have to sell me on why it's cooler than core but I'm not against it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm down. Thinking of being a homeless man who became a tainted in exchange for fame and fortune.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off
Decisions Decisions. Resurrect an old hunter, or make the complete opposite. Interested so long as the IRC can be used [and then probably pasted over to a post] for quick and dirty exchanges that don't call for putting on the 'low rent YA Fiction author' airs

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Thinking about playing a new hire at a big shadowy law firm who finds out after getting the job that he's expecting to learn magic as well as litigation. In over his head and just trying to make a life in the midst of the chaos.

Martin Beck

Male, caucasian, disheveled

Give me a picture, a bit of background, maybe a quote, and a character sheet.

All I wanted was to be rich. I never wanted to hurt anybody, step on any one's toes, just wanted a little slice of heaven on earth. And I thought I had my meal ticket when I got into Yale law school. But since then things have just gotten more and more complicated. I was recruited by the Skull & Bones, which is an honor really, and I thought all the ritual and mystery was cute, but when they actually started sealing vows with blood and mysterious things happened when people broke those vows I started getting creeped out. But one of the vows I took meant I had to accept the placement they chose for me. So I accepted a placement in Seattle at a big law firm named "Giger, Giger & Smith." Sure I thought, I'll finish my contract responsibilities, earn some cash, then I can live the high life. But my first day on the job I was sworn to secrecy and had to start studying runes and rituals. Basically right to the bottom of the food chain. I wanted to be in court, not in some basement binding angelic forces for the sake of factional arbitration! Well, here I am. Ticking off days hoping I don' get swallowed by a portal or conned into another 5 year stint.

"Would you believe casting a spell is easier than graduating magna cum laude?""

pre:
» Who are you?

I'm Martin Beck. Attorney at Law. drat, feels good to say that. Oh, and initiate sorcerer at Giger, Giger & Smith.

» How long have you been in the city?

It's been two years now. Seattle's a nice place! Wet but homey. At least on the surface. It's kinda hard not to feel 
a little oppressed when you know we mortal ants dance in meaningless patterns around the feet of immortal 
powers that could turn a magnifying glass on us whenever the whim takes them.

» What keeps you up at night?

Work! Paperwork! Spellwork! Actually working late doesn't bother me too much. I'm sure it's the same for every 
fresh hire at a law firm even if the work isn't supernatural.

» What have you sacrificed for your power?

I... I had a life once. My buddies, my girlfriend, my family. Now that I think about it I haven't seen my parents in 
three years. Scary what you forget when you're occupied every living minute with study and work. All I have now 
are colleagues and I don't know for sure they wouldn't throw me under a bus for a promotion... or if I wouldn't 
throw them.

» What do you desperately need?

I need that promotion. I need to stop getting stuck doing the research and the minor bloodletting and to start 
getting assigned real work. All this sacrifice can't have been for nothing!

STATS:
Blood -1
Heart 0
Mind 2
Spirit 1

FACTIONS:
Mortality 2
Night -1
Power 1
Wild 0

GEAR:
» A nice apartment, a crappy car, a decent cell phone
» 1 practical weapon
Sword (3-harm hand messy)

FOCUS:
A fine pen gifted by the firm. Gain 1 additional hold when using Channeling.

SANCTUM: (one of the law firms sanctum rooms)
an extremely knowledgeable assistant, a focus circle,
magical wards, a library of old tomes

it's tough for you to access, its location is known by many

DEBTS:
» Someone is helping you keep your demons at bay.
You owe them a Debt.
» Someone is your go-to when you get into trouble.
You owe them 2 Debts.
» You are helping someone keep a dangerous secret.
They owe you a Debt.

WIZARD MOVES:
» Channelling: When you channel and collect your magics, roll with Spirit.
On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 3 and choose 1 from the list below. On
a miss, hold 1, but you cannot Channel again this scene.
* Take -1 ongoing until you rest
* Suffer 1-harm (ap)
* Mark corruption
Your hold lasts until you spend it. You can spend it to cast any spell you
have as per the spell’s details.

» Sanctum Sanctorum: When you go to your Sanctum for a spell ingre-
dient, relic, or tome, roll with Spirit. On a 10+, you’ve got pretty much
just the thing. On a 7-9, you’ve got something close, but it’s flawed or
lacking in some significant way. On a miss, you don’t have what you’re
looking for, but you know someone who probably has it in stock.

SPELLS:
Tracking: Spend 1 hold to learn the location of someone. You must have
 a personal object that belongs to the target or recent leavings of their 
body (a lock of hair,  ngernail clippings, their blood, etc.).

Shielding: Spend 1 hold to provide armor+1 to yourself or someone
nearby, or spend 2 holds to provide armor+1 to everyone in a small area,
possibly including yourself. This armor lasts until the end of the scene.
You can stack multiple uses of Shielding at once

Teleport: Spend 1 hold to teleport yourself a short distance within a scene
you’re in.
Tell me an experience you (the person OOC) had or something you know about Seattle.
When I think Seattle I think Frasier, Space Needle, Rain, lots of rivers and lakes, and Microsoft.

I know the best coffee is roasted by dragons, kidding! I know that there is a Naga court based in the Puget Sound and I know that only some very old and legally unsound pacts in our library are what keep the whole city being drawn into the sea as a sacrifice to their deep god. Apart from that ancient call to sacrifice us all they are actually quite friendly and the reason they don't challenge the pact is because it gives them a reasonable excuse not to destroy the city and instead visit it for "reconnaissance" purposes.

Nobody goes up the space needle. I don't know why. People walk in the front doors and walk out thinking they've had a whale of a time but the truth is no one goes up that lift. I don't know what's at the top but it wants to be left alone.

What’s your posting schedule look like? What times are best for you? How frequently do you feel like you can post?
I'm able to post multiple times a day and am based in (GMT+9).

Apocron fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 16, 2016

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Just want to say that I'm interested and probably going to make an Aware in the thread, instead of just on IRC.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Jack Chase

Most of the other hunters I know do what they do because they have convinced themselves that they are serving some higher purpose. I do it for the cold hard cash.

quote:

Intro
Who are you?
Jack Chase. I'm the guy you hire when you have a supernatural problem, and asking nicely won't make it go away.
How long have you been in the city?
I've been here for about half a year now. A few months ago, I finished a big job hunting down some ghouls, and I've been thinking of moving on to greener pastures.
How did you become a hunter?
Before I learned about the existence of the supernatural, I was just some schmuck stuck working security at construction sites. Thankfully one of the sites I was working at, had turned out to originally be an old cemetery. Not wanting to go through the hassle of moving a bunch of corpses, they just poured the concrete foundation over them. The night they finished, I was working the midnight shift. You can guess what happened next. Somehow I managed to survive the night, learning that strangely enough bullets do indeed work on ghosts. (although you eventually need something more powerful to finish the job.)

With this newfound knowledge of the supernatural, I started my career as a hunter of the supernatural. While the pay still isn't that great, I get a hell of a lot more money than before.

Your Prey

What do you hunt, primarily?
Ghosts.
What are their strengths and weaknesses?
Their ability to materialize and dematerialize at will is rather annoying, and don't even get me started on how many times I have had to deal with them possessing my clients.

The thing about ghosts is that they already died once, its not that hard to make that happen again. Also, they love to moan and groan about how they have been wronged, which gives me plenty of time to line up a shot.

How are you like them?

Well, they were once humans, now they are just dead humans. Most of them are assholes though.

Gear

• A lovely apartment
  • Muscle Car
  • Cell Phone
  • Big Holy Shotgun (3-harm close loud reload messy +holy)
  • Silenced Scoped Rifle (3-harm far)
  • Enchanted Silvered Chain (1-harm area +anchored +silver)
  • Anti-Possession Medallion

Debts
  • Someone has enlisted you to protect them from something very
    dangerous. They owe you a Debt.
  • Someone keeps you equipped and supplied. You owe them 2 Debts.
  • You consider Martin Beck a friend even though the friendship keeps
    bringing you trouble. They owe you a Debt.

Stats
Blood 1
Heart 1
Mind 1
Spirit -1

Starting Factions
Mortality 1 X
Night 2 X
Power -1
Wild 0 X

Moves

Deadly: When you inflict harm, increase the harm by 1.
Book Learnin’: When you encounter a supernatural creature, roll with
Mind. On a hit, the MC will tell you a bit about it and how it can be killed.
On a 10+, ask the MC a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly.
On a miss, you misread the creature; the MC tells you how.
Safe House: You have a secure location that you can hole up in. Detail it
  • High-tech surveillance
  • A mystical prison
  • Fortified walls/windows/doors
This Way!: When you lead people out of danger, roll with Blood. On a
10+, you all get away safely. On a 7-9, you get hurt or one of them gets
hurt (you choose). On a miss, everyone’s safe but you; you’re left behind
and the way out is closed to you.
Perfect Timing: Mark corruption to arrive in a scene. Mark an additional corruption to show up in a superior position.

Tell me an experience you had or something you know about Seattle.

I know it has a big tech industry, but that's about it.

I heard that in the late 1800s a steamship called the Portland sunk somewhere near the Elliot Bay.....along with its cargo of over a ton of gold. There have been many treasure hunters who have tried to find the location of the wreckage, but its location remains unknown. An usually high amount of divers have disappeared in the area where the ship was believed to have sunk.

I can post multiple times after 6:00 PM EST on weekdays, and might occasionally be able to get a post in during lunch if I'm not too busy at work. I can post more on weekends.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 12, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Probably gonna make a wolf.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Maxine Wei, The Vamp

Seattle didn't become what it is today by simply existing. It's a place of innovation, of the future. Sadly, among my kind, the future is always a tricky thing to look into. As one of the younger members of my kind in the city, I'm big on this change, as long as it isn't some two-bit lunatic with a barely-functional plan telling us how we're going to kill the old ones. Innovation, not madness. That's why I'm here. Like most places, my kind controls the vices of the city. Drugs, prostitution, whatever we need to keep our power structure in place. I'm willing to wait a little longer to see what the future brings, I've got..plenty of time.

Character Sheet posted:

»» Who are you?

Maxine Wei. And before you ask, yes, my mother is Chinese. Why do people care who my parents were? They're dead now, lost to time, one thing I won't be. Currently, I'm working with the rest of my kind to.. No, not the Triads, you idiot. The vampires of the city have a loose coalition, usually working with some of the more mundane criminal groups to figure out how to keep our hooks in deep on this city. We keep up appearances when we can, act the part of criminal, but I don't do it for the money. Well, not just for the money.

»» How long have you been in the city?

Coming on ten years now. I was in Los Angeles when I was turned, but my sire moved up north where he thought the climate was better. Simple enough, rain is easier to stand around in compared to the sunlight of California eleven months a year. Made a nice little place for ourselves, before he ended up with six holes in his head from a hunter with a .45. Been making waves with a couple of other younger fangs, but mainly it's stabilizing what's left. Picking up the pieces. Not like we're friends, between Zeke who's cuddly like a box of rusty knives and Charlie who thinks she's next in line for a big shot.. It's pretty slim.

»» How do you keep your cravings in check?

The nice thing about the drug trade is that some people are very willing to do whatever to get a fix. Sure, that's not always the most pleasant taste, but between that and the cash to splash around at high end nightclubs, I make do. Haven't killed anyone by accident recently, always a good sign.

»» Who turned you?

Eli Barton. Simple man, as far as vampires went. No-nonsense, put the cold into cold-blooded, taught me a lot about how to survive as one of our kind. Wasn't exactly pleasant learning, but I came out of it as alive as I can be on the other side, so it wasn't all bad. Was a little small-time for my liking, but you don't get to choose that sort of thing. Better teacher than most.

»» What scheme are you invested in now?

I've been working on this new drug. Well, the inclusive I. I'm personally not the best with chemistry, but I've met a chemist who's a bit of a junkie who says he can make something new. Not like I believe him, but I can run his ideas down, sell them off to someone who actually knows what they're doing.

Look: Female, Asian, Formal Clothing
Demeanor: Volatile

Character Stats
Blood 2, Heart 1, Mind 0, Spirit -1

Factions
Mortality 1, Night 2, Power -1, Wild 0

Moves:
Eternal Hunger: You hunger for human blood. When you feed, roll with Blood. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7-9, choose 2:
»» You heal 1-harm
»» You learn a secret about them
»» You take +1 forward
»» They don’t die
On a miss, something goes terribly wrong.

Keep Your Friends Close: When you Figure Someone Out by indulging their vices, roll with Blood instead of Mind.

Put Out the Word: When you cash in a Debt with someone in your Web, add this option to the list:
»» Put out the word with their Faction that you want something. You get +3 forward to Hit the Streets with that Faction.

Irresistible: When you Persuade an NPC using promises or seduction, treat a 7-9 as a 10+ result. On a miss, your machinations succeed as
though you rolled a 7-9, but attract the attention of a rival or enemy.

Haven: You have a safe place, secure from outside dangers. It has emergency rations, a few ghouls, and an escape vector. When someone
willingly comes to your Haven, they enter your Web.

Corruption: 3/5

Corruption Moves:

True Hunter: Mark corruption when pursuing a human NPC at night. Your prey cannot escape you, no matter where they attempt to flee, and you can prey on them or kill them at will.

Adaptable Palate: You can feed on any creature, not just humans. Feeding on something wildly different than a human will have unexpected side effects.

Gear
»» A secluded apartment, a comfortable car, a smart phone
»» Dual 9mm Glocks (2-harm close loud)

Debts
»» Someone makes sure you get fed regularly. You owe them 2 Debts.
»» Someone relies on you for their fix. They owe you a Debt
»» Someone bears responsibility for you becoming a vampire. They owe you a Debt.

Seattle was where I got swine flu! :toot:

Seriously, though, it's a tech center for the Pacific Northwest along with being a big, fast-moving city. The few times I've been there, it's always been crazy how many people are there, and moving around all over. Also, strangely enough, the old Seattle alternative movement was big for us in all the PNW, even if that's now a long time ago.

There's a reason the monorail is still around. It isn't just because it's a quaint little show for the tourists. It's actually something to control the flow of mystic energies in the area, keeping them relatively balanced and re-routing any magical incidents to safer locations. It doesn't reach throughout the whole city, just focused along a major mystical energy source. Most of the locals call it a ley line, but who knows what it actually is.

Posting once a day is something I can do barring crazy RL stuff. I'm in PST, so GMT-8, and usually get off work at 5-ish. Can maybe post during the day based on workload.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 30, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Mark Robinson Marky Marx, The Tainted

I used to be someone no one knew. You'd see me on the side of the street and ignore me. I was someone left for dead by capitalism. Not like I deserved pity, though. I didn't want your pity. You're self-serving bullshit was best left to yourself. You wanted to help me? Give me some money so I could eat.

That is, until, I asked for coins from some mob boss. I knew he was rolling with bad gangs from his look, but who cares? He got money and he ain't going to shoot me over asking. Unlike most people, he didn't ignore me. He didn't give me coins either. He made me a deal. Fame and fortune in exchange for my immortal soul. gently caress, like I was even gonna get into Heaven, if it even exists. I made that deal in a heartbeat.

Now, I'm Marky Marx, a big name musician flush with cash. I never get gigs outside Seattle, though. Not a surprise as Don Maconi needs me for jobs that I can't refuse. Don't own my own soul anymore, after all. It ain't that bad, though. Nice apartment, people love me, and I can get any woman I want. gently caress, I even regained my goddamn youth. Or something else...I don't remember looking this good when I was 20.

So what if I can turn into a giant bat monster and have to kill some rear end in a top hat or get someone to sell their soul from time to time? Better than eating garbage.

Character Sheet posted:

»»Who are you?

Someone trying to survive, even if it cost me my soul.

»»How long have you been in the city?

Since I was a kid. I was raised here. Had an apartment and a family till that all went to poo poo.

»»Who would you die for?

Don Maconi is the only person whose done any good for me so I'd repay the favor.

»»What is your daily release?

I still have my heroin addiction raging on. Bit easier to do as a rockstar, though.

»»What do you desperately need?

Frankly? I need to see this bullshit system end. This dumb system that put me on the bottom. Call me a commie, but eat the rich.

Look:
  • Male
  • Hispanic
  • Trendy Clothing
Demon Form:
  • Heads: Horns
  • Hands: Claws
  • Wings: Leather
  • Skin: Rocklike
  • Eyes: Glowing
Demonic Jobs: Assassinating your patron's enemies, brokering demonic contracts

Stats: Blood 2, Heart 1, Mind -1, Spirit 0

Starting Factions: Mortality 1, Night -1, Power 0, Wild 2

Moves:
The Devil Inside: When you assume your demon form, roll with Blood. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1. On a miss, choose 1 and you owe your patron a Debt.
  • Gain armor+1
  • Heal 2-harm
  • Inflict +1 harm
  • +demonic weapon (3-harm hand or 2-harm close)
  • +demonic movement (flight, flaming motorcycle, etc.)
If you’re working a job for your patron, choose 1 more. If you mark corruption, choose 1 more.

Tough as Nails: You get 1-armor. Blessed or holy sources ignore your armor. Weapons designed to stun or impair you have no effect.

Deadly: When you inflict harm, increase harm by 1.

Just Below the Surface: Mark corruption to assume your demon form without a roll and gain all the options listed.

Tireless: When you fight against a gang, you count as a gang of similar size. Calculate armor and harm as normal, but ignore any size difference between you and the gang you’re fighting.

Champion of the Void: Spend 1 corruption and eat something. It is gone forever. No matter its wondrous properties or magical protections, no matter its significance to the universe, it is obliviated. Whether it's the Heart of Winter or the Face of God, if you manage to eat it then it's gone and will never return. The Apocalypse is hungry at it will eat all things.

Gear:
  • An apartment, a car, a smart phone
  • Pump-action Shotgun (3-harm close loud messy)

Debts
  • You’re protecting someone from a dark power. They owe you 2 Debts.
  • Someone is trying to save you and keeps suffering for it.
    You owe them 2 Debts.
  • You have a demon patron who holds the contract for your soul.
    You owe them 3 Debts.

Advancements Used:
  • A Move From Another Archetype (Hunter: Deadly)
  • A Move From Another Archetype (Vessel: Tireless)

Corruption Advancements Used:
  • Just Below The Surface

I know you have a space needle, just played Infamous: Second Sun, and that Seattle pretends the Native tribe in the area is extinct when they clearly are very much alive.

There has been a concentrated effort by local law enforcement to fight against crime by installing surveillance technology everywhere. That's the story on paper. The reality is that mayor is a patron and they want to sow the seeds of paranoia and distrust to increase sin and unrest in the area while simultaneously getting dirt on his political enemies.

I can do one post a day. My time zone is EST and I'll probably post around 7 or 8pm as my mornings are reserved for the gym and my afternoons on studying for my certification.

Covok fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 11, 2016

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Alexander Ramos

Alex Ramos posted:

»» Who are you?
See this picture? That's me. That was me. And until I get my poo poo sorted out, I hope that's the only me anyone will remember. Back when I mattered, when I was someone... poo poo, not important, but you know the deal. Back when I was a functioning member of polite society. NYC, FBI Special Weapons and Tactics, Fireteam 5. Best in the business. So sure I wasn't some pencil pusher and I wasn't anyone you'd call a Boyscout to his face, but at least my sins were backed by the Feds. Not anymore.

I'll spare you the heavy details of how it happened. Drug pushers, dead cops, bad publicity, we were set to sort them out. Didn't go down that way. Three dead Feds, a warehouse full of ground chuck that used to be bikers, and the scariest motherfucker I'd seen in my life. Easy 9 ft 2, nails like knives and a face like a night terror. Werewolves, so I learned. I may have been liable to piss in the coffee of anyone who told me I was going to go up against god damned Lycans, not that Ops could have known, but I would have at least been appreciative in hindsight while the drat dog chewed my arm off. Fun fact though. It grew back. Everything grew back. My arm, my appendix, my right canine, hell, even my hairline. You want to know why? You know why. I'm a dog now too. Found out the hardest way possible too. Wish I would've just bled out, saved everyone the trouble.

It was movie night, family night, recovering at home after my stint in the hospital. Had my wife curled up on my shoulder, and my little girl kicking on the floor in front of the TV. And no, we weren't watching a werewolf movie. I don't remember what we were watching, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was some Disney sugarplumb bullshit since I wasn't paying any attention. I was too sick, sick to my stomach, sick to my soul. I keep an app on my phone that tracks the moon cycle, because I'll forget no matter how important it is to me now. Didn't have that back then. Full moon fever. The second the clock struck 10 I was on the ground. I was writhing, I was ripping. I was probably about 20 other disgusting things that I can't see because I drat near black out whenever it happens. My wife. My girl. They watched me. They screamed. They ran away. Thank whatever god there is that I did too.

That was that. I was some nightbreed, howling, skinwalker monstrosity just like the man who made me so, and I kept running, town to town. Learned a little along the way too. See, the others, the wolves, the vampires, the creepy faery monster shits, they can smell you better when you're one of them, and they're a talkative bunch, just like any other poo poo eating prick with a dirty secret they can't tell no one.

gently caress it, I'm rambling now, you didn't ask for a life story, but that's me. I know who I am. I'm Alex Ramos. I was born in 1980, and I died in 2014. Whenever people called me an animal back then, they did it because of my skin. Now people tell me that because of my soul. I don't care who they think I am. I know who I am. I'm a dead man long gone, no howling at the moon is going to change that.

Since last year. Stumbled into town around march, foggy as hell. First place I went was the harbor, looked out over the sea. Figured I could still run, get out there, indochina, russia, australia, but something in me just gave up. I couldn't run any further. I knew this was the end.

»» What is the best part of the change?
Clarity, peacefulness. I know it sounds odd, wrong even, but the moment that last scrap of human skin falls off my body, it carries with it the feeling of burden, responsibility, everything. I feel clean, whole, free. I can see why people get addicted to it. I can also see why they're some of the most irresponsible, rash, bullheaded people on the planet.

»» Who is the most important person in your territory?
Dr. Jean Hopper is the head physician at Harborside Medical Center, and one hell of an optimist. She's seen through the foggy bullshit that hides all us monsters and still keeps a smile. Right now she's doing all she can to keep the secret safe while giving otherwise afflicted people a place to heal and mend, and in our collective business, that's worth gold and silver hand over fist. But sticking your neck a mile out in this city, probably even just in this world in general, means having a mile's worth of scumbags trying to take a bite. I took it upon myself to patrol that mile.

»» What do you desperately need?
A home, a social circle, money, food, gently caress, you name it I probably need it. Right now though, oddly enough, I need a strong source of antivenin. The Harborview Medical Center has had an extreme increase in admittance for possible venomous snake bites. I really don't think there's many life threatening snakes native to Washington, but what do I know. City boy...

»» Someone is hiding you from someone, or something, powerful.
You owe them a Debt.

»» Someone hired you for a job and you hosed it up.
You owe them 2 Debts.

»» Someone lives in your territory, benefiting from your protection.
They owe you a Debt.

I lived there once, when I was two though, and in a suburb of it, so... not really. All I remember was the slugs. They were everywhere. They were nowhere. I had a dream about giant slugs in the forest behind our house and cried whenever we were out on the porch and saw a slug. Now I just hate slugs for mucking up the bottom of my shoes when it rains. Slug monsters somewhere in the game is what I'm getting at.

Nothing exceptional, other than a higher crime rate replacing the latent gentrification. Seriously, with the gulf between the peaks of demon infested tech companies and crime ridden streets, I wouldn't be surprised if this place turns into the shadowrun Seattle we all know and adore in 30~40 years

Variable, but close enough to whenever that it won't be relevant. I'm top to bottom integrated by now with chrome/android stuff that I can check the forum, IRC, and post from anywhere that open wifi exists.

SevenSocks fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 17, 2016

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Questions!

Alexander Ramos

If you died in 2014, why didn't you take the Beast down with you? What's kept you from taking your own life now?

Marky Marx

What's your music like? Is it still the same after you sold your soul? Tell me about your band?

Maxine Wei

When you moved to Seattle, did you swear to the White King, the Red Lady, or someone else? Do you still have ties to vampires in LA?

Jack Chase

You hunt for money, but you don't seem to have a lot of it. Where did that cash go?

Martin Beck

Since they're all you have left, tell me about your colleagues. Who do you like the most? Who do you hate the most?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Versum always smiles when you see them, unless it's one of their beatnik or emo days - but those are few and far between. They're a jovial person - if you can call them that - and eager to chat with anyone who can. If you didn't know it - and most who meet them do - you would hardly know that it's a god you're talking to. Versum is the god (or spirit, depending on who you ask) of spoken word poetry. They haven't got any temples or rituals, no dogma, no hymns to their name, and their power is rather limited. Most times, they aren't even visible or audible even to the supernaturally aware. They're a minor, but well known element to seattle's magical community. Most of the time, they spend listening in and drinking in the atmosphere - quite literally - at poetry slams and open mic nights, but a a pure incarnation of poetry and art, and a product of the last 70 years or so, they know that poetry carries meaning, and often a call to action. And if the very god of Spoken Word Poetry didn't act on it - well, who would?

quote:

Who are you?
Who am I? Well, do you mean the I in your eye I wonder? Do I spy, with my eye, another I in your eyeball? Ah well, Artistic - or ayetistic? no, that's a terrible joke, nevermind - brilliance aside, my name is Versum, and I'm a god - no, not a spirit, do I look dead to you? - and i'm pleased to meet you. Did you know, i used to be an urban legend - and once or twice i've been confused for the Morningstar himself. I was younger, in a sense, back then, and had a harder time communicating with people, but when i did, they were often inspired, and they told others of me - but they could never find me, of course. So i became a legend, a wandering muse who would show up out of the blue to a poetry reading, inspire you to greatness, and disappear. That's not quite true, of course, but they didn't know any better. They didn't know i was there, every time the made beauty out of words, there every time three people gathered to enjoy rhythm and rhyme, every time anyone puts a pen t- yeah, sorry, I ramble. You get the idea. But I was already sitting in the back corner, or on the edge of the stage, for every preformance, I just couldn't show myself. i'm stronger now, but even then, it takes somesthing out of me to act on this plane, like I do now. Your invocation helped with that - and the poem was beautiful. Thank you.

You know, a lot of gods would be perplexed at that question. It's a strange one to answer. In a sense, since before the city, but that's not what you mean, I don't think. This me, Versum, formed from the adoration and the love of poetry found in smoke-filled rooms in the 50's, but i only really settled into propper personification during the start of the end of the decade, when some of those rumors began to spread. Gave me a slightly more solid concept to latch on to. I've been riding the tailcoat of one poet or theater or the other for most of the time since then, drawing on their, and their fans', love of poetry to keep me, well, not alive, but... conscious. Well, until i found a few actual worshippers. Haven't had that since my greek incarnation, I don't think.

What do you love the most about humanity
I'm a god of spoken word poetry. What do you think? But no, for real here - I loooove me some poetry, but what's really so beautiful about it is that it can do so many things and show and express. Rhyme and Rythm and alternatives to alliteration make up my soul, but there's more to it than that. There's the way the words move and what the words mean, who they inspire, and how, and why. That's what i love about humanity. They create with their minds and their words, and their words create ideas tip-tapping down the mind to the rythm of the breath of the poet.... I'm sorry, describing what's to love about poetry is difficult. But to boil it down, it's not just the form and the rythm, and the wonderful things you people think of to do and express with them. If that's not enough of an answer, you'll have to ask a poet.

Who is your closest confidante in the city
Phillip Jaeger, without a doubt. It's an old ghost, died back in '74, no more than 18 or so. Has stuck around since then. He was an aspiring poet, and i loved his work. Even tried to warn him about the car, but no help. He couldn't hear me, back then. But his ghost can, and I love his poetry, and his friendship. He didn't want to go when his time was up, though, so i set him up with a wizard i knew, and figured out a way to have him hang around while he wants to. And everytime i'm in a bad mood, or ethereal life gets me down, well, i go talk to him, and he turns all my sad thoughts and anger and frustration into beautiful poems. I don't much write poems myself, it seems... well, sorta masturbatory, don't you think? But as long as Phillip's around, I don't think i have to.

What do you desperately need?
A smoke. But more seriously, I'm trying to expand my business a bit, both ethereally and materially. Grow to encompass more poetry, and have stories and legends and worshipers out there to empower me and help me, to make me stronger and give me the juice i need to really tend my purview, as a God like me should. And to do all that, I need a proper mortal champion. Now, the little circle of poet-mages that sustain me with their little cult is certainly wonderful, and i am grateful for them, but they are poets first and all else second, and i wouldn't have it any other way. That's not the sort of person i need, no. I need a champion, someone to empower, a knight in my name. What is a god without his chosen, after all?

Look, demeanor and presentation
African-american, Dark clothing, Ambiguous presentation and an Eccentric Demeanor.

Charecter stats
Heart 0 Spirit 3 Blood 1 Mind -1]

Factions
Mortality -1, Night 1, Power 0, Wild 2

Moves
Manifest: Regular people can't sense or interact with you unless you
manifest. You manifest by spending a few quiet moments concentrating
and choosing 2:
» You can be heard
» You can be seen
» You can touch and be touched by the physical world
You may mark corruption to instead choose 1 or all 3.

Ghost Town:
When you Hit the Streets with ghosts, take +1 ongoing to
dealing with them.

Phantasm: Take +1 Spirit (max +3).

Something i know OOC
Well, i don't know that much, but one of my friends was from seattle, and in planning my charecter more and more stuff he said has been coming back to me. Specificly, that it's famous for it's spoken word poetry and poetry slams, apparently, which inspired this character.

Something new about Seattle
Well, the new thing about this Seattle is the cliques of poet-magicians - one of which serves as a minor cult for my character. Now these cliques are almost all poets or musicians first, magicians second, no great sorcerers or anything, just minor talents, but they're really good at what they do, which is mix spell and words and rhyme to a cohesive whole, even if that means sacrificing magic power for artistic cohesion.

Posting schedule

I can probably post about once a day, but sometimes a couple of times a week, sometimes a couple of times a day. Shouldn't be a problem. I'm in japan at the moment, but will return to gmt+1 in a month or so.

Magnusth fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 16, 2016

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Versum

Who is your enemy?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mark Robinson Marky Marx, The Tainted

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Questions!

Marky Marx

What's your music like? Is it still the same after you sold your soul? Tell me about your band?

My music is trendy now. Used to do old style Rock'n'Roll like Chuck Berry, but that's all gone now. Now, it's hip-hop, fo-rock, new metal, or whatever the chart says is trending. If it's popular, not only can I do it, but everyone acts like I always could and always did.

Gotta take all that on faith, though. My music don't sound like music to me anymore. Used to be the only thing getting me through the day. Now? My music only sounds like the screams of the dammed in my ears. Best not to think about that poo poo.

My band mates are a bunch of poo poo head kids. I used to roll with real crews back in the day. These kids spend all their time looking down on their phones, surfing facebook, and sending out tweets. I mean, I do the same, but that's the Don's will, not mine.

Only thing me and these punkasses got in common is a love of booze, sex, and music.

But, they aren't bad kids, just a bunch of gently caress heads.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

»»Who are you?
Call me Cassie. Just Cassie. I got a last name, but I'm not telling you. I keep in touch with Dad to make sure he knows I'm ok out in Seattle, but I don't want anyone looking him up.

»»How long have you been in the city?
Been here a while now. Gonna be coming up on a year, soon. After college, I just sort of... wandered around the US until I ended up here. The people around my turf like me well enough, and I found a nice niche here. So, I've just sort of settled in for a while. Might pack it in and hit the road again someday, but I don't think that's going to be for a while.

» What is the best part of the change?
It was a lot rougher when I was just a teenager. Not only did I have to deal with hormones and boys, but that's also when I got bit. But, after a lot of heartache and trouble, I've come to an understanding with the wolf. And that understanding is... that there is no wolf. There's just me. I don't run and hide from the change, anymore than I would pretend I wasn't hungry.

So, the best part about the change? It just feels good to finally release all that tension that's been building up for a month, just like sitting down to meal when you're famished or going to the bathroom after you've been holding it in way too long.

» Who is the most important person in your territory?
I've started squatting in an abandoned building near Woodland park. I've crashed in worse places, but the neighborhood has seen better days. And I think Alderman Liam knows what those better days look like, too. He's leading a charge to fight the urban blight rotting the city from within. Of course, old buildings in big cities have plenty of stories to tell, and some of the time, those stories don't like being changed. But... I think the alderman knows that. In fact, I'm sure he's clued in to the supernatural. Don't know what he's doing riling up all those ghosts and spirits with those redevelopment plans, but I really do think he wants to make the city a better place.

» What do you desperately need?
Hm... I've been roughing it for too long. So I could do with some of the nicer things in life. You know, a nice place to lay down, good food, something with alcohol in it that doesn't make me think I've been poisoned.

Still... I've made it long enough without those things that I could probably do without for a bit longer. So the thing I need most? I need a pack. Some other people who know what it's like to be part wolf. I had one back home, but... it didn't end well. The ones that are still alive probably never want to see me again, and I can't really blame them.

But, I've learned a lot since then. I won't make the same mistakes. Anyway, nothing's better than running wild with your pack under the full moon. It's just like the change. It's a natural thing for a wolf, and I've been holding back on it for too long.

Look: Female, Caucasian, Baggy Clothing

Demeanor: Aggressive

Stats:
Blood 2, Heart -1, Mind 0, Spirit 1

Factions:
Mortality 1, Night 1, Power -1, Wild 1

Moves:
Comes with the Territory:
If you are actively patrolling your territory at the start of the session, roll with Blood.
On a 10+, your territory is secure and trouble is at a minimum; take +1 ongoing to Hitting the Streets in your territory.
On a 7-9, one of your troubles surfaces (your choice), but things are mostly stable.
On a miss, or if you aren’t attending to your territory, things go south and your troubles are fast and furious.

Bloodhound:
When you hunt someone, roll with Blood.
On a hit, you know exactly where to find them and can follow their scent until you do.
On a 10+, take +1 forward against them.
On a miss, someone unpleasant finds you first.

Alpha Dog:
When you Persuade an NPC in your territory, roll with Blood instead of Heart.

Regeneration
When you let it out, add this option to the list:
Your wounds close; heal 1 harm.

Your Territory
You’ve claimed an area of the city as your own. By default, your territory covers a city block or two and has the trouble: +crime.
You are widely accepted as this place’s protector (add blessing: +supported)
You’ve made a deal with someone, or something, to protect your territory when you’re not around (add blessing: +guardian)
Your territory is plagued by a mystical or supernatural presence (add trouble: +haunted)
Mortals in the area are actively trying to revitalize local businesses and infrastructure (add trouble: +upheaval)

The Transformation
You change into your wolf form when the full moon rises
You gain natural weaponry (2-harm) and 2-armor.
You can only change back at sunrise.
When battling groups, you fight like a small group.
You can’t resist the change when it comes.
Silver weapons ignore your armor

Gear:
A duffel bag with your personal belongings, a lovely cell phone
Butterfly knife (2-harm hand concealable)
9mm Beretta (2-harm close loud)

Debts
» Someone is hiding you from someone, or something, powerful.
You owe them a Debt.
» Someone hired you for a job and you hosed it up.
You owe them 2 Debts.
» Someone lives in your territory, benefiting from your protection.
They owe you a Debt.

Haven't been to Seattle since I was a baby, but I do know that a lot of cruises go out of Seattle. One of my friends works on a cruise line and always ends up staying there for a few months between ships.

I heard that a rich as gently caress vampire is trying to bring some NBA team to Seattle. Turns out most major sports teams are owned by vampires, as they're magnets for drunken fans who won't miss a pint or two of blood after they go on a drinking binge of their own.

Wild, huh?

I'm on the east coast, so anytime after 6 PM EST is good. Depending on how slammed work is, I can sometimes post at work. I can usually post every day, and always at least every other day.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 26, 2016

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Jack Chase

You hunt for money, but you don't seem to have a lot of it. Where did that cash go?
I have long term business plans and that requires a bit of an investment. You see, I want to get the real big clients, the ones with large pocketbooks. The problem is, the jobs they tend to offer often require high-end weapons, specialty ammo, rare tomes and grimoires, and occasionally the services of a mage. Those are all rather expensive. I think my investment is starting to pay off though, and people in high circles have started to take notice of me.

Oh, and don't even get me started on how expensive it is to maintain a safe house in Seattle.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Questions!
Alexander Ramos

If you died in 2014, why didn't you take the Beast down with you? What's kept you from taking your own life now?

I don't know, really. Not conclusively. I'd thought about it. Suicide. Finish what the world started.

I've looked down the barrel of too many guns, and as I looked down the barrel of my own, I saw the same thing I always see. Gunmetal grey giving way to inky blackness. Nothingness. Emptyness. But behind it, I saw Seattle. I saw something depressing, but hopeful. I saw the end like I'd never seen it before. Once it was a warm barrel and a cold grave, now it was blood in the rain, a new beginning, a chance to spill my blood for the right reasons, if only in the wrong name. I met a woman, a doctor, Dr. Jean Hopper. She told me it didn't have to end like this. I thought she had no idea what she was talking about, but I believed her. Turns out the good doctor knows an awful lot about the underworld I'm forced to live in, even if she's still a bare human herself. I guess I'm just blind and dumb enough a dog to believe she's right, that we can help the helpless. That we can keep people warm by casting a shadow. Maybe I'm just hoping her blind faith will get me killed so I don't have to do it myself.

Guess I'm kind of a coward at heart.

Sorry, I'm on it again. As it stands I'm playing guard dog to the downtrodden and abused of all of Yessler. Maybe if I can make something out of this grimy new soul, it'll be worth something when I pass on. As they say, all dogs go to heaven.

SevenSocks fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 17, 2016

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Questions!

Maxine Wei

When you moved to Seattle, did you swear to the White King, the Red Lady, or someone else? Do you still have ties to vampires in LA?

The Red Lady, of course, she's not as big on tradition and it was definitely the right move at the time. Do I regret it? Not at all. But the White King has been recruiting much better for the last few years. Which means that if there's an outright war between the major vampire factions of the city, I'm going to be kind of hosed. Luckily, there's been rumblings of some of the vampires who aren't exactly affiliated starting to band together in the sewers. Nobody's sure what they're doing, but the Sewer Baron, as he likes to call himself, he's got something going on.

LA is a clusterfuck, but I still know some people who decided to stay. Only two who still talk to me are Burke and Moonbeam. They run their own two-person operation down there, and are pretty small potatoes. Weird seeing a hippy vampire for the first time, but they're good at what they do. Keep clean, and sometimes do a transport loop to up north. I still think they're in LA, at least. Maybe they moved, though. Like I said, it's a clusterfuck.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Martin Beck

Since they're all you have left, tell me about your colleagues. Who do you like the most? Who do you hate the most?

You're right, they're all I have but I'm also all they have. It's the kind of potentially unhealthy co-dependency born from being put through the meatgrinder together and coming out as some kind of nasty sausage meat. Sorry for that delightful imagery. But yeah, we spend all our time in research digging through books looking for legal precedents, cramming on spell casting so that no one gets left behind and crying together about the messed up junk that we all used to be blissfully ignorant about. Out of the crop that was hired fresh from the Ivy Leagues with me two years ago the two I'm closest to are Jeff Branson and Eric Schmeichel.

To be honest Jeff is kind of a doofus. Sharp as a tack legally speaking but just not on the ball sometimes. I worry any time he has anything arcane near him because he's liable to pick it up and summon some kind of unholy abomination that will enslave us all and be like, "Oops!" But once you give him a specific task to do he brings his focus to bear and even I can find it hard to keep up with him. I kind of think he got through law school just because someone told him to do it and now he's out the other side he has no idea what to do so he just keeps moving forward based on momentum. Still I respect his brains and he's not an rear end in a top hat so I can put up with him being occasionally dumb as a post.

Eric is a nihilist. I've never seen someone with such clearly articulated reasons as to why human consciousness is an evolutionary mistake and we should all go gently into that good night. He makes everything he does look effortless but because he's pessimistic he doesn't seem to get a lot of joy out of being successful. He's probably the one who has taken most naturally to magic, doesn't really feel it's a moral question grasping power by the reins and shaping reality to his will. He would be frightening but he has a wicked sense of black humor and even though reality is a joke to him he does enjoy shooting the breeze with me and Jeff with a couple of beers after we walk out of the office at 2am in the morning.

Then there's the new hire.Samantha Moss. Mysterious, remote, enchanting. All three of us have been interested in her since she started working here. While all of us took a while to get accustomed to life at Giger, Giger & Smith on her second day Samantha could have convinced any of us that she was on the partner track. I don't know, she just seems to fit around here. We haven't talked with her much since we're all in our third year but we talk about her plenty.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

WIP

Ashley Winston, the First Horseman
Oracle Playbook

"When I was six years old, my dad took me aside and told me I'd have a front row seat to watch the world burn.

He wasn't wrong."

quote:

»»Who are you?
My name is Ashley Winston. My father was Andy Winston, probably better known to you as the Reverend Joseph Brigham Enders, of the fabled Honeybee Ridge Massacre. Like the rest of you, the last time I saw my father was on CNN, from a helicopter's eye view, as he stood on top of his burning compound and fired his AK-47 at the oncoming FBI agents. It all started, according to him, when an angel of the Lord appeared before him one day, cloth-ed in samite and radiance, and prophesied to him that he would become one both mighty and strong, that too him would be given the scepters of truth and power, and also 144 wives, that upon them he might get an army of Saints to be a choir unto the End of Times. He was working on wife number twenty three when Child Protective Services raided the compound and kicked off the incident you probably watched on TV. I was twelve at the time, which according to the tenets of my father's cult was prime marrying age, so I don't regret how things went down.

And that's where things would have ended, barring the eventual tell-all biography, except that five years later, on my seventeenth birthday, I was woken up in the middle of the night at my foster-parents' house by a loud voice saying “Come, and See.” And there before me, in the backyard of their split-level duplex, was a white horse, and on its saddle was a bow and quiver, and a crown, and unto me was given over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and famine and death and all the beasts of the wild. And I didn't loving want any of it. I just wanted to go to prom.

That was the beginning. I am the first horseman of the apocalypse, one of the four harbingers of the end of days. This is my calling and my vocation. There are, at this time, two others; I can feel them out there. We're, thank God, still waiting on the fourth. Unto us is bestowed the knowledge of how to bring about the Apocalypse – or, at least, an Apocalypse – but not necessarily the inclination. I'm privy to prophetic visions containing the secret knowledge of the way the world is supposed to end – spoiler alert; #BangNotWhimper – and so far I've been doing everything in my power to stop it.

Five years, give or take. After the first vision, I tried to get as far away from Utah as I could, so I joined the Army. When that didn't pan out, I went for a more esoteric escape and ended up in Washington state. Sounds weird, but the thing about the Apocalypse is, if it's anywhere, it's everywhere, and Seattle is where a lot of the world's weirdness ends up. Since I ended up here, I've started up a very discrete and specialized consultancy firm: Rider Security. I do actuarial readings and personal security and health evaluations for anyone who can pay me money: after all, after I spend enough time around someone, I end up seeing all the ways that they can die, and then it's a short hop and a jump to making sure none of those things can happen. Believe me, pretending to be a security expert is a better living than fortune telling. Helping to find the flaws in the safety zones of wealthy assholes and local celebrities helps pay the bills, and on the other side of the equation I get to help anyone else that I forsee needing my personal help, which happens all the time.

»» How do you cope with the visions?
Jack Daniels.

It doesn't work so well, as my ex-wife will happily tell you. But I can't help it. At least I keep things distinctly functional. Mostly.

»» What are the nightmares like?

Imagine you woke up every morning and vividly remembered seeing yourself doing things. Terrible, awful things. Atrocities. Decimation. Genocide. And imagine that you remember enjoying every second of every sword swing or every trampled face.

So... pretty hosed up.

»» What do you desperately need?

I want to give up my vocation. I need to lose the crown. I need to not be the White Rider anymore. I don't want to Ride Forth.

It's been done before. I can dimly remember that, as part of my original vision. History is littered with failed apocalypses. Apocalypsi? Something like that. The Black Death was one, I remember that; all the Riders were present and willing and doing their work, but never managed to meet up at the same time. There was another in 1843, and again in 1917. The pattern of the End keeps trying to impose itself, but if enough of the criteria aren't met, it fails to go off. That's why the prophecies exist; they're as much of an escape hatch as they are a road map.

So all I have to do to keep the world from ending is stop every terrible calamity I can. Or, theoretically, eat a bullet.

Name: Ashley Winstone
Look: Female, Caucasian, Warm Clothing.

Blood +0 Heart -1 Mind +1 Spirit +2

Mortal 1 Night -1 Wild 1 Power 1

Foretellings: At the beginning of the session, roll with Spirit. On a 10+,
hold 2. On a 7-9, hold 1. During the session, you can spend your hold to
declare that something terrible is about to happen. You (and your allies)
take +1 ongoing to avoid the impending disaster. On a miss, you foresee
the death of someone important to you and take -1 to all rolls to
prevent it.

Conduit: Advance Let It Out for all characters in your presence, including
yourself.

Skim the Surface:
When you touch someone, you can read their surface
thoughts. Roll with Spirit. On a 10+, ask 3. On a 7–9, ask 1:
»» What is your character thinking about right now?
»» Who are you protecting?
»» Why are you keeping secrets?
»» What is your character’s hidden pain?
On a miss, you inflict 1-harm (ap) on them and yourself.

In the Presence: While Ashley wears her crown, none can flee from her. They don't have to do what she says, but they can't turn and run.

Easy Rider: Ashley never has to make Keep it Cool rolls to succeed at doing dangerous or stupid things with a vehicle or a mount.

Corruption:

Dark Fate: Mark corruption when face to face with someone to pronounce a curse on them. Roll with Spirit. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9,choose 1:
»» The curse lasts for a long time
»» You are not the obvious source of the curse
»» The effects of the curse are potent and obvious

Gear: A simple apartment, a crappy bike, a cell phone
Ritual Objects: Bow, Quiver, and Crown

Debts
»» Someone helps you understand your dreams and visions.
You owe them 2 Debts.
»» You’ve had a dire prophecy about someone, but you don’t know how to
help them...yet. You owe them a Debt.
»» You are helping someone realize their true potential through your
visions. They owe you a Debt.

It's where the music of my youth came from. Otherwise, not a lot.

Seattle's weather is alive. Literally alive. If it's a nature spirit, and it has to do with elemental wind or water, then it calls Seattle its home for at least part of the year. I've seen arctic Russian Rime-bears. I've seen water nymphs leaping puddle to puddle. I saw a rampaging sewage golem once.

The worst, for me, are the Thunder Horses. On stormy nights you get a herd of them coming off the sea and pounding down night-emptied streets, their hooves rolling and booming and crackling sparks off the asphalt. They call to me, and It's all I can do not to mount my bike and ride with them.

Once or twice a day, Eastern Standard time. I wake up early and go to bed early because of my job, but that may reverse itself soon, depending on shift.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 4, 2016

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Five the Wraith
Spectre Playbook

Trevor Asker during better days.

quote:

Who are you?
I don't know. I mean, I'm someone, of course, but when I look in a mirror I just see a stranger with a 5 carved into his forehead and a gaping hole where his heart used to be. It's funny. I remember how I died (it's still pretty weird to say that). Some weird guys in robes were chanting, and people numbered One through Four before me were butchered just the same. I didn't even know wizards and demons and witches were even a thing then. What an introduction, huh? I'm pretty sure I should be off wherever people go when they die. But I'm stuck here. And I have a strong impression that it's a side result of whatever it was those crazies were doing.

Before...uh, the 'incident'? I look like I'm in my twenties so if I grew up here, at least that long. Time has sort of lost a lot of meaning since then. I'm not sure how long I was out if it before I woke up in that basement.

Who do you still love?
If you asked me that before I'd have had a much better answer for you. I'm wearing a ring, so I was probably engaged or married. I can't tell you to who, though. At least, I haven't remembered yet. But now? Anyone living. Really, I need to be around people. They are a distraction, and something to watch, and anything that helps occupy my attention helps. The quiet hours in the very early morning at the worst, when it's just me and, uh, thoughts? Are they thoughts anymore? Or just sensations and memories?

What makes your afterlife worth living?
Sometimes I can remember something of who I used to be. It's a little tickle here or there, and it's usually very brief. But it gives me hope. In the meantime, I'd really like to figure out what it was that those robed men were doing. Some kind of magic, that's for certain. Nothing good for Seattle, that's even more certain.

What do you desperately need?
My heart. Seems kind of dumb, doesn't it? But I just know it's what is keeping me here. I don't even know if there's anything physically left of it - it probably rotted away, or was ground up, or whatever they needed to do with it. But I do know that it's integral to this spell, or enchantment, or whatever curse they put on Seattle. Anyway, just cause something isn't physically there in front of you doesn't mean it doesn't exist, right? Look at me.

Look - Male, Middle Eastern, Blood-Stained clothing, Confused

Stats:
Blood 1, Heart 0, Mind -1, Spirit 3

Factions
Mortality -1, Night 2, Power 0, Wild 1

Gear: Bloody casual clothes, wedding ring

Moves:
Manifest: Regular people can't sense or interact with you unless you
manifest. You manifest by spending a few quiet moments concentrating
and choosing 2:
» You can be heard
» You can be seen
» You can touch and be touched by the physical world
You may mark corruption to instead choose 1 or all 3.

Won't Be Ignored: When you get in the way of someone, treat your roll as 10+ without rolling. If you distract an NPC, roll with Spirit instead of Mind.

Phantasm: Take +1 Spirit (max +3)

Tell me about an experience in Seattle
I've been up to Seattle for PAX once. Mostly we were down around the convention center, and didn't check out very much of the city. It was perpetually cloudy, but still seemed like a nice area.

Tell me something different about In Game Seattle
Urban Shadows Seattle is under the grips of a dark curse laid upon it by some sort of cabal. I haven't thought too much about what the curse does just yet, but I imagine it's very subtle and a means to a much darker purpose.

What's your posting schedule?
I'm usually good to post whenever. With an iPhone I can be as goony as I need at any given time.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Switching irc client to discord because my cool new irc client that works perfectly and doesn't drop out with the internet is demanding money.

https://discord.gg/014zBnJzOb6c0LMYM - Get on discord that's the new chat place.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Questions!

Five

Where do you go to watch people? Why do you keep coming back to that same place, again and again?

Ashley Winston

Whose been trying to end the world these days?

Cassie

The people in your turf like and support you. Why is that? What did you do to earn their trust?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Who is your enemy?

Enemy? i try not to have enemies. Why would I? i mean, there are a few related minor gods around that i have some friendly competition with, but neither of us would seriously hurt each other. Even Lyrica, who is a complete and total loving douchebag, would at worst poach my artists and champions and poets and make them *scoffs* musicians. But even that's just him being an rear end, and it won't hurt me for long, just hamper me for a while. The rear end. But we minor gods stick together, however much we squabble. And these days, that's more important than ever before, what with the Don moving in on our territory. He's focusing on the artists - me, the god of east-cost architecture, Lyrica, the god of underground rap, etc. Usually, we'd ask the other gods for help, perhaps get a heavyweight on our side... But no one else is willing right now. Everyone seems to have their own problems. Now, usually we'd be able to set that aside and come together, but right now... poo poo, man, I'm not so sure. I'm hoping some of the geographic gods might help us out - Pointy, the god of the space needle has given us some noncommittal help - but I'm thinking we might have to actually buckle up and actually act like gods for once, instead of just floating around as muses. Perhaps expand the various semi-magical spiritualist study groups into a proper network of cults to counter the drat Tainted and the satanist cults. Worst thing is, if we could pool our power, I'm pretty sure we could overpower any single being in the drat city, but it don't work like that, just like five horses don't pull a cart much faster than two. I'm personally one of the worst hit, with one of my favorite poets, one I silently tutored and inspired myself, turned and tainted! i'm trying to get him back, but the drat fool doesn't even know I helped him to begin with! Being the worst hit also means that I keep being the one to reach out to the others and try to get an organized defense standing and some outside help in, and i'm not too happy about that, but well, what are you gonna do?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Ashley Winston

Whose been trying to end the world these days?
Well, Hell, obviously; it's their raison d'etre. Although, actually, I don't have much in the way of dealings with the folks Down Below; they are subtle and play the long game, and prefer to work through cut-outs and intermediaries. The intermediaries are the ones that keep making my life hellish. See, the thing about the end of the world is... you ever hear someone say "Every ending is a new beginning?" Well, it's not totally wrong. There are a lot of groups out there with a vested interest in starting over from scratch over the ashes of our current civilization. The vampires and werewolves have their Dominionists, who believe that the world should be reorganized with predators on top and prey -- humans -- on the bottom. The magical folk -- fairies, and practitioners in the occult -- have Primevialist factions that want a return to Ye Olde Times, when people respected the wart and pointy hats and nailed horse-shoes over their doors and lef bowls of milk out as tribute in exchange for not being hunted like dogs. And, of course, there's always Libertarians.

But in the more immediate sense, there's my cohorts; the other two riders. War is out there, somewhere. I've never spoken to him, but I saw him when I was in Iraq, riding around in the back of a technical on the other side of Meggido. That's the main reason I got the hell out of the red zone. Since then, he's been a busy boy; Libya, Syria, Crimea, the Americas. I have a vague sense of his presence, whenever he moves. Famine, I know more intimately; she's my half-sister, Jesse. Younger than me by 5 years, she was just old enough to absorb my father's teachings but not old enough to be shocked out of them during the raid. She was a true believer before her calling, and has since only gotten more dangerous, especially since she earned her law degree and learned to mix subtlety with fanaticism. More even than War, she's been quietly putting the pieces in place for something big, buying up West Coast real estate in odd places for unusual sums.

I really wish i knew who was backing her.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Five

Where do you go to watch people? Why do you keep coming back to that same place, again and again?

I'm drawn to bars. The louder and busier the place the better, generally. Still, there's one named Roman's Pub that I like the most. The guy who runs it isn't even named Roman. He's some vampire who goes by Scottie, and he's a real piece of poo poo. He makes strange deals with stranger people all the time, all under the nose of his steady stream of clueless patrons who just want to drink and eat. I guess the cover that the business provides is key. Anyway, it's pretty interesting. I don't know if he's really cool with me or not. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot he can do about it, though.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Cassie

The people in your turf like and support you. Why is that? What did you do to earn their trust?

So, first off. It's the poorest people in the city who have the easiest time accepting the supernatural. Turns out they're so used to being kicked around by the rich and powerful that the idea that their landlord who's bleeding them dry is actually a vampire isn't too much of a leap. And the idea that someone on that side of the normal/weird divide is on their side? It's like a dream come true. So, when there were rumors of some young girl wandering around and beating the crap out of crooks, they didn't look a gift horse in the mouth. So, I didn't really have to do much to at least get some initial good will, outside of just let the rumors about my nighttime activities spread.

As for why I've been going to all the trouble? I figure if I'm crashing here for a while, I might as well do a few good turns while also having a good outlet for that excess energy that builds up as the change approaches.

But, what got the neighborhood treating me as one of their own? The day before the first full moon since I'd been in town, I got word out that anyone who wasn't looking for trouble should stay inside. That vampire landlord I mentioned before wasn't an example I plucked out of the air. His name's Druford, and I knew he was going to be out feeding that night. Wasn't too hard to track him down. The scent of blood cut through the night, leading me right to him. I don't know if anyone looked out their windows at the brawl, but if they had, we must have made for a pretty odd picture. A wolf the size of a brown bear and a professionally dressed man dueling with a sword-cane. It took most of the night, but I brought him low. He was pleading for his life, offering anything. I figured I'd made my point, so I just told him that he had to swear to sell off all his properties in the neighborhood and never set foot here again. He looked like he couldn't believe his good fortune, and swore right on the spot. People were dancing in the streets the next day. I watched it from the alley, 'cause I was still beat to poo poo. But it felt... good, ya know?

That's also when I started to get a few more... interesting callers to my little hole in the wall. Which, considering what I've learned on the road, makes sense. Best way to make sure everyone takes you seriously? Punch the biggest guy in the room and make him stay down for the count.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 19, 2016

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Devin Jackson

People come to Seattle for plenty of reasons. Me? I came because my friend Greg offered me a job. You see, he was setting up his own startup and he needed someone to program the app, so I… Listen. I knew this wasn’t going to make me millions. No one trying to make the “Uber of food delivery” ever does. But it’d keep me paid for a few months and it’d get me out of Tennessee, and that was enough for me.

The startup folded a week after I got there. That’s when things got weird.

quote:

The Aware
Who are you?
Nobody, really. Just a programmer with some gender issues and a lot of free time.

Next week it’ll be five months. Can’t say it’s been great, given everything that’s been going on in my life, but it’s been better than my home town. Other than the vampires. And the dark rituals. But hey, at least I have a new reason to not sleep at night.

How did you learn about the supernatural?
So, I started working at Titanian Industries LLC about four months ago. They needed a database manager, I needed money, it seemed like a good match. And it was, for a while. Then I started looking at the data I was working with. You see, none of it made any sense. Profits were coming in from nowhere, expenses were being paid to nobody, it was bizarre. At this point, I had two options. I could talk to my boss about it, or I could dig a little deeper. You can guess which one I picked.

Digging deeper, in my case, mostly involved looking around the office after hours. Didn’t find much of anything until two months ago. I heard my boss was going to be having a secret meeting after everyone left, so I decided to sneak in and see what I could overhear. I thought it was going to be my boss calling up some mobster types about their money laundering scheme. What I got was my boss opening some kind of portal to the fae realms and calling for the Lady In White. I got out of there pretty quick, after that. I was ready for criminals. I wasn’t ready for literal magic. But I was going to be.

(I didn’t get caught, if you were wondering. At least, I don’t think I was. I still have my job, in any case.)

Why is this city worth saving?
Why wouldn’t it be? I mean, thousands of people live here. I live here. That’s enough justification, isn’t it?

What mystery are currently investigating?
Not whatever’s going on at work, I’ll tell you that much. Not until I have a lead I can work with that doesn’t involve breaking into my boss’ office. But I have been doing my research and let me tell you, once you know there’s something to look for you can find it everywhere. If you want an example, look at this app. Graffit-I, you take a picture and scribble on it a bit, it gets tagged to your current location and anyone who uses the app around there can see it. Only works in downtown Seattle, but they’re looking to expand into Redmond next month. Sounds simple, until you look at their featured photos. The person who posted the featured photo four weeks ago? Got in a car crash, broke both her legs. Three weeks ago? Won the state lottery for a sweet twenty thousand. Two weeks ago? He was found dead without a drop of blood in his body. Might be vampires. Might be someone trying to make it look like vampires. Who knows? Last week’s… hasn’t shown up in the news yet, but give it a little time.

Now, could this be a coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. But I’ll tell you this much. I’m going to find out, one way or another.
---
Look: Ambiguous, White, Everyday Clothing
Demeanor: Paranoid

Stats:Blood -1, Heart 1, Mind 2, Spirit 0

Factions:Mortality 1, Night 0, Power 1, Wild 0

Moves:
Snoop: When you keep an eye out for trouble, roll with Mind. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 1. While you’re there, spend your hold to ask the MC questions, 1 for 1.
-What’s my best way in/out?
-Who or what here is not what they seem?
-What happened here recently?
-Who here is the greatest threat to me?
-Whose turf is this?
On a miss, you find yourself in over your head. The MC will tell you why this is a bad spot.

Did Your Homework: When you put a face to a name with someone politically important, roll with Mind instead of Faction. On a hit, you know a dangerous secret about them or their political machinations. On a 10+, you know how to leverage that information; take a Debt on them as well. On a miss, your snooping has already landed you in hot water with your target; they know you’ve been looking into their business.

Hard-Boiled: When you get into trouble while chasing down a lead, gain armor+1.

Gear:
-A simple apartment, a decent car, a smart phone
-Taser (stun-harm hand)

Debts:
-Someone told you their secrets and you haven’t told anyone about them yet. They owe you 2 Debts.
-Someone thinks they’re protecting you, but it’s more like you’re protecting them. You owe each other a Debt.
-You’re leveraging dirt you have on someone to get their help with something. Owe them a Debt.

It’s rainy? The Space Needle’s there? Everything everyone else already said? I don’t know, I’ve never been there and I could try to remember something interesting that hasn’t already been mentioned but I’d rather just get this app up.

I’m not going to say something dark and unknowable lives in the depths of Puget Sound. I’m not going to say it has a hunger that needs to be filled. All I’m saying is that every new moon a tour boat goes out, and every new moon that boat comes back with one less passenger.

Basically any time between noon and some time past midnight EST, any day of the week. I… have a lot of free time. I should be able to post at least once a day.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Devin Jackson

Who do you trust the most in the world?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Devin Jackson

Who do you trust the most in the world?

Jacob Aquino. Used to be my roommate in college, is my roommate again now that I've moved to Seattle, is Greg's significantly-more-reliable brother. He's one of my best friends in this city. Also one of my only friends, but... Whatever. The point is, we go way back. We got drunk for the first time together. Hell, he's the first person I came out to. We have a history. There's not a lot of people in this city I'd trust more than him.

Still haven't told him about, y'know, any of this, though. I'm waiting until I have some more solid proof before I have that conversation.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Alright, picks are made! Some really great apps and enthusiasm here and I had to make some hard decisions. I ended up going with 7 but I think that's really my limit for what I can handle. People tend to drop from these things, so if you're disappointed you didn't get picked you can still probably jump in later.

When selecting I looked for presence in irc/discord, enthusiasm, just-post attitude, how well the app caught me, and how it would fit together with other apps. I also tried to make sure I have at least one playbook in each faction. Also Five was never getting in because gently caress Anders I hate that guy (this is a joke, but not as big of a joke as Anders.)

My picks:
Martin Beck the Wizard

Jack Chase the Hunter

Maxine Wei the Vampire

Marky Marx the Tainted

Versum the Specter

Cassie the Wolf

Ashley Winston the Oracle

Do debts and poo poo! Also role start of session moves. Remember you are encouraged to form debts with other PCs but you can also sign up with NPCs. I'll make the thread later today.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

My character will basically work for anyone as long as it involves dealing with non-humans.

Also, Apocron I think it would make a lot of sense if either of these two debts were with your character.
  • Someone keeps you equipped and supplied. You owe them 2 Debts.
  • You consider someone a friend even though the friendship keeps

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I agree. Anders wasn't the greatest of characters. Have fun, all.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Yessss, so excited for this game.

I'll be on discord tonight, but here's my proposed debts:

» Someone is hiding you from someone, or something, powerful. You owe them a Debt.
Marky Marx, Martin or Maxine

» Someone hired you for a job and you hosed it up. You owe them 2 Debts.
Pretty much anyone! Cassie's got a lot of time on her hands, and she'd take any job that sounded interesting.

» Someone lives in your territory, benefiting from your protection. They owe you a Debt.
Ashley, Martin (maybe crashing in the poorer side of town to make ends meet while he's on the shoestring salary of a law firm's research monkey), or Versum (Specifically, one of their cultist poets)

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Quick work post to repost the debts Maxine has:

Maxine's Debts:

quote:

»» Someone makes sure you get fed regularly. You owe them 2 Debts.

I have no idea here. Versum, maybe? Those who don't make the cut? Or, if we just mean blood, maybe Cassie who has a blood bank or something in her territory?

quote:

»» Someone relies on you for their fix. They owe you a Debt.

Marky? Anyone else need any sort of fixes?

quote:

»» Someone bears responsibility for you becoming a vampire. They owe you a Debt.

Jack, on one of his many trips down south, managed to get the drop on a coven of vampires who weren't watching out well enough. One of the survivors was my sire. Circle of death and all of that, now I'm here needing blood to survive. Not sure if thankful's the right word, but it's not all bad.

Others' Debts:

quote:

» You are helping someone keep a dangerous secret. They owe you a Debt.

Martin has been helping me keep a few choice properties out of the legal system. These places, if they're found by certain types of people, will lead to a lot of trouble in the city. I'm on the short list of people who knows about the Red Lady's safehouses, and Martin's making sure it stays that way.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 22, 2016

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

quote:

Debts
»» Someone helps you understand your dreams and visions. You owe them 2 Debts.
This strikes me as a Versum type of thing.

Right, so.. as anyone whose read the Revelation of St John will tell you, biblical prophecy is a hit or miss sort of thing. The language and imagery of my dreams are as bizarre as they are poetic. Fortunately, I know just the person who can play with words all day long, and loves a challenge.

Ashley owes Versum 2 debts.

quote:

»» You’ve had a dire prophecy about someone, but you don’t know how to help them...yet. You owe them a Debt.
I see a woman covered in blood; hers and other people's. I see fire around her, above her, and under her. Shattered buildings, blasted concrete, shards of glass falling like rain all around her. She's doomed and damned, if I don't find her first.

But there's something else wrong with her.

Ashley owes Maxine 1 debt.

quote:

»» You are helping someone realize their true potential through your visions. They owe you a Debt.
No clue.

So there's this guy I met when he represented me when I divorced Rachel. He's a weird kind of lawyer, but it was a weird kind of divorce; that's what happens when your ex-wife is a witch. Fortunately, he managed to get that malochio off of me, in exchange for... well, more money than I really had. The thing is, after that, I had a dream about him; the weirdest prophecy yet. There is someone he must meet, and love, for at least one night; someone he would never, under ordinairy circumstances, come into contact with. And if he doesn't, they both die.

This is going to be interesting.

Martin owes Ashley 1 debt

Capfalcon posted:

» Someone lives in your territory, benefiting from your protection. They owe you a Debt.
Ashley, Martin (maybe crashing in the poorer side of town to make ends meet while he's on the shoestring salary of a law firm's research monkey), or Versum (Specifically, one of their cultist poets)

I'll bite on that one, if no one else wants it. Post-divorce, Ashley doesn't live in the best part of town.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 22, 2016

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Ok so first my debts:

quote:

» Someone is helping you keep your demons at bay.
You owe them a Debt.

Maybe Marky Marx. We're both slaves to the man (though his situation is much worse than mine) but I relish his concerts and parties as an escape from office work.

quote:

» Someone is your go-to when you get into trouble.
You owe them 2 Debts.

Talked to IShallRiseAgain and it seemed to make sense that he's my go to troubleshooter.

quote:

» You are helping someone keep a dangerous secret.
They owe you a Debt.

Maybe Maxine? Seems like the dangerous secret could be something political or legal that I try and keep tied up in paperwork.

Other people's debts

quote:

Jacob - You consider someone a friend even though their friendship keeps bringing you trouble.

I think this dovetails quite well with me hiring you for any of the rougher jobs I worry about.

quote:

Cassie- Someone is hiding you from someone or something powerful

I could be keeping developers from buying her territory and turning it into condos.

quote:

Ashley - Someone helps you understand your dreams and visions

Yeah I can see Martin hitting the books to help Ashley work through the mysterious symbolism of her visions. If Versum doesn't want it you can count on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

My Debts

quote:

You consider someone a friend even though the friendship keeps
Apocron/Martin Beck agreed to take this debt.

quote:

Someone has enlisted you to protect them from something very
dangerous. They owe you a Debt.
I think anybody fits this debt.

quote:

Someone keeps you equipped and supplied. You owe them 2 Debts.
While not agreeing with Jack's motives, the Knights of Seattle are lacking in manpower to handle the city's various supernatural threats to mankind. They begrudgingly sell him most of his supplies at barely above cost.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 22, 2016

• Locked thread