Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
:wotwot: A trivia contest you say?!

Let's get prepared again for TRIVIA, goons! We're back in action April 21, 22, and 23!

For those with archives...
Trivia 42 (2011) thread
Trivia 43 (2012) thread
Trivia 44 (2013) thread
Trivia 45 (2014) thread
Trivia 46 (2015) thread
Trivia 47 (2016) thread

What the crap do you want us to do?

We've broken top ten 4 straight years, which should be described as an inhuman feat for a team that didn't exist before 2011.

Some teams play for generations and haven't cracked top 50.

Tell Me More! :allears:

quote:

For the last 48 years Steven's Point, WI college radio station 90FM has run the world's largest trivia contest. There are around 500 teams from around the world who compete. The entire town is taken over by trivia contestants.

These are the canonical rules, but here's a brief overview.

• Game runs for 54 hours straight (non stop trivia action!)
  • Approximately 8 questions every hour. They read a question, play a song, re-read it, play another song. You have until the end of the second song to get your answer in. You're competing to get a correct answer and to get the answer in on time. :flashfact: Occasionally there is a speed round which is 10 questions. There will be 2 short (4 question) rounds with a 30 minute break near the midway points of each day (7pm Saturday and Sunday)

Imagine a couple thousand trivia nerds hitting redial :f5: for 54 hours straight. Yeah.

Things you should know:
  • The questions are designed to be Google-proof, but that's not always possible. They want to make you at least work to get the answers.
  • Scoring: The fewer people that answer correctly, the more valuable the question is and so those people get awarded more points.
  • You can do anything to get the answer.
  • Someone needs to dethrone The Network Festivus and Dad's Computers
  • :siren: WE BEAT NETWORK IN 2016 :siren:

What TEAM GOONS needs from you! :eng101:

Here's a list of things we need:
  • On the ground Goons: We had a group of goons in previous years that ran the On the Ground stuff for us in Stevens Point, and we're looking for more this year. Your primary tasks will be Running Questions, The Trivia Stone Rally Drive, and getting alcohol poisoning. Also you get to eat the free food if we win that again.
  • IRC We have a channel on synirc
  • Mumble We stream the audio for everyone over Mumble.
  • Recording the stream for review is essential. There are music questions where they play a 20 second clip of like 8 different songs. You have to try to get them all right. You are given a long time to answer, but if you only hear it once and don't have a recording you're missing out on big points. Being able to edit the clip and analyze it is invaluable.
  • Data Entry Goons: Someone to transcribe the questions to text for people on IRC
  • Non-Americans are VERY welcome: Goons from around the world. They've had questions that Americans won't get. Pop culture or things in other countries could be on the list. Hey, it's 54 hours long... I'm not staying awake that entire weekend.
  • Media whores: You have every season of Hogan's Heroes, M*A*S*H* and other random TV shows? Yeah, we might need you to help us figure out what color socks someone is wearing or some other bullshit question.
  • Music nerds: Example question given by a coworker (accuracy not guaranteed)

"In the Huey Lewis and the News vinyl's included artwork there is a neon sign on the wall. What does it say?"

Official website (Don't be shocked at how bad this is)

Our Results:
2011 Trivia 42: 33rd Place
2012 Trivia 43: 14th Place
2013 Trivia 44: 8th Place
2014 Trivia 45: 7th Place
2015 Trivia 46: 4th Place
2016 Trivia 46: 6th Place

As you can see we have (almost always) improved steadily with each year, with our best year being 2015, where we placed in FOURTH out of over 300 teams, giving us our third straight top ten finish. With another top 10 finish in 2016.

Sooo... are you ready to play Trivia, Fast Eddie?

---------------------------------

Credits to Man_with_Hat for this:

:siren:How To Join Us:siren: (TL;DR at bottom)

If you've played in previous years you might remember we hang out in an irc channel. This year there's something new. To minimize panicked kicking of people we don't know who they are in the middle of a question we have opened up a new channel called #tplobby and everyone who's not already registered on IRC needs to come in through that.

That being said, here's a quick little guide to get you all started

What the hell is IRC and what do I do?

So the channel is #tplobby on the server irc.synirc.net. To connect to these you will need an irc client. Popular ones are mibbit, hexchat, mIRC and irssi. Mibbit is web based and as shuch the easiest one to get started with. The other ones require an installation. This guide will focus mostly on mibbit but I'll try to put how to do it universally in here too.

If you're okay with using mibbit, all you need to do is click here and pick a nickname.

For other clients, open it up, type in /connect irc.synirc.net, type in /nick *your irc name here* (you pick your name here) and then type in /join #tplobby and you should be in.

I've joined but there's not contest going on. What the hell?

Okay, so this is basically what's new. Once you're here it might take a little while for people to respond, especially if you want to join as the contest is going on. This is because we're busy trying to win. Hopefully within a few minutes someone with OP should be along to talk to you. In the meantime, you can register your nick on the server.

Registering is pretty simple. Type in /msg NickServ REGISTER password youremail@example.com - But obviously replace "password" with a password of your own and put in your own email adress. You will then get an email with a command to type into irc. Do that and you're registered.

on many clients /ns does the same thing as /msg nickserv but it doesn't work on all clients so I'm using the long one in the instructions

note that the email ended up in my spam folder, so check there

Note: the next time you open up IRC and pick this nickname you will have to log in or the server will change your name. To do this you simply type in /msg nickserv identify password

On both of these commands it's important you don't have an empty space or whatever at the start or it or you'll post your entire message openly for everyone to see. Make sure NOTHING but what I've put in italics above is in the message as you press enter or people might steal your password or whatever

Okay, so I'm registered and stuff. How do I join in the fun?

At this point you'll hopefully have been contacted by an op in #tplobby (you can tell who's an op by what symbol they have before or after their name, these differ between clients, though. Mibbit has custom icons and others usually have an @ or a & before their name to show it.) They will ask you to ID yourself with your SA user name and by putting something in your profile. They will then add you to a list of trusted users if all of the above has been done correctly and send you to another channel, where the actual contest is happening. If after this point you get disconnected you will be able to join the real channel immediately and just log in with /msg nickserv identify password and skip all the other steps above.

If there are any questions or confusion, feel free to ask one of the ops in #tplobby for help. We'll try to have someone semi active in there as often as possible until the contest ends. If you have time to spare it's really helpful for everyone involved to register ahead of time.

TL;DR and if you know sort of how to irc
Join #tplobby on the server irc.synirc.net. Register your nick with nickserv. Talk to an op in #tplobby. Or just click here.

rawillkill fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
This sounds weird as hell but it's actually pretty drat fun every year. You can be involved as little or as much as you want: join a week before and help find info on pictures we are given before the contest, join the weekend and google up some answers, chill in the channel and enjoy the chaos.

Have some sample questions to give you an idea what the gently caress:

1. What 2016 album cover features a portrait of a person with multi-colored images of faces projected onto his head?
  2. A vintage print advertisement claims its product smells grand, packs right, and can't bite --- what product is being advertised?
  3. What product is advertised with the slogan, "Give Poop a Chance"?
  4. Who is the only quarterback in NFL history to, in separate games in a single season, record Quarterback Ratings of both 0 and a perfect 158.3?
  5. A classic game which eventually had a sequel on the Nintendo Wii involves a child and his shapeshifting friend saving a planet from an evil king. In order to get to the planet, the child has to feed a specific candy to his friend so they can travel through space to get to the planet. What kind of candy allows the child and his friend to travel through space, and get to the aforementioned planet?

Thanks RRT for these questions.

And a week before the contest, we get a bunch of pictures with no context. We try and find what they are from, and who is in them, then during the contest stuff is asked about them, such as:

The fictional character wearing this mask has appeared in numerous movies as well as multiple iterations of a sketch/variety TV show. Name the fictional character under the mask.

What famous crime boss was behind the Valentine's day massacre?

Athanatos fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 8, 2017

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:siren: :siren: :siren: TEAM T-SHIRTS ARE AVAILABLE UNTIL MARCH 20TH!!! :siren: :siren: :siren:

Order your t-shirt today!! If you've got questions, post here, PM me, or email at the address shared above.

A couple of things to note:

The t-shirt logo will be printed in all black. Anywhere you see "white" in the logo image will actually be the color of your requested t-shirt. Keep that in mind when picking your shirt color.

There WILL be a second run of t-shirts this year following the contest. The commemorative shirts will be printed with a white logo as opposed to the black logo. If that's more your thing, you can hold off on ordering until later, I promise you won't miss your chance!

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 6, 2017

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Is the plan still to stick with iRC this year? I know some of the criticisms that were raised against Slack/Discord have been fixed with feature upgrades to those programs in the intervening year.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Klungar posted:

Is the plan still to stick with iRC this year? I know some of the criticisms that were raised against Slack/Discord have been fixed with feature upgrades to those programs in the intervening year.

IRC for life!

Trivia is always very fun. I'm hoping to not get locked out of my house this year in the middle of it

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Klungar posted:

IRC still works fine. There is nothing new set in place and now seems a bit too soon to make something else work.

Also, yay, trivia! If you've never played before and think it sounds dumb, just give it a shot anyway. It's much more fun than you'd think.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Looking for a better option NOW might be very difficult, as was said. It's something that can be explored before next year (especially if the features upgrades are as robust as you suggest), maybe?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Klungar posted:

This is a contest where they have to change out the phones the radio station answers because they get too hot.

I think using a program from 1988 just feels right.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Klungar posted:

We are not moving to Slack, Discord or any other similar service. If this is a deal breaker for anyone I'm sorry - for this one weekend you will have to use IRC if you want to participate.

IRC is what we will continue to use for the foreseeable future.

Also - there is no "feature" upgrade that will solve the amount of people posting URLs which will be unfurled and have rich previews. Good luck finding any useful information from that one sentence when you need to scroll past 30+ images that are identical but from different servers so they all get unfurled.

evergate
Jan 15, 2010
Aw hell yeah, been looking forward to this since last year.

Can we make it a repeat of kicking the collective asses of Network this year?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I was just thinking about this

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
In on the ground floor, excited as always. Think this is my fourth year.

Seriously goons if you've never been around for this, at least make an effort to stop by for a few hours. It's totally worth it and you might get hooked!

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Each year we get a handful of posts saying something along the lines of "I'd join, but I'd only be able to play for a few hours," or "I wasn't very much help last time" or "I'm not very good at trivia." We don't have any sort of minimum participation or knowledge requirement, so come join us anyway. Some of our highest-scoring answers came from people who just happened to be there at the right time and they had the album or saw the logo when they were a kid or whatever.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

McStabby posted:

Each year we get a handful of posts saying something along the lines of "I'd join, but I'd only be able to play for a few hours," or "I wasn't very much help last time" or "I'm not very good at trivia." We don't have any sort of minimum participation or knowledge requirement, so come join us anyway. Some of our highest-scoring answers came from people who just happened to be there at the right time and they had the album or saw the logo when they were a kid or whatever.

It's also important to note that we will have a picture hunt for an ENTIRE WEEK before the scheduled start date.

This can be done at your own pace, during whatever hours you want. One of our goals this year is to do much better at this portion of the contest!

So please come by April 17 or thereabouts for more information on the picture hunt even if you can't participate in the main contest

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I hope there isn't a question about a children's book that we manage to identify from an obscure picture and have someone drive 200 miles to one of the only 5 libraries in the US that have a copy only to have the question thrown out because there were actually two ghosts in the picture.

Because that would suck.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I've gone to the library every trivia year, but no success so far. Here's hoping this year's different!

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
TRIVIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I should be with the goonsquad in Point this year. I can't wait.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Related question: are there any good iRC apps for iPhone?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

This is, without a doubt, the best SA related activity I've ever done, and one of the main reasons I'm still on this site 11 years after registering. This is a solid weekend plus of getting drunk, listening to music made before I was born, and hanging out with friends online and off. I love this contest, but I don't care about winning. This is the best internet party of the year and I hope you come join us. Seeing people experience the contest for the first time is awesome as heck.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Klungar posted:

irccloud

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Klungar posted:

Short answer: not really, because your phone will connect and disconnect from IRC a bunch. Any time you switch from one network type to another, any time you start dropping packets, etc.

edit: irccloud or bouncers would work because they're actually proxying the connection. That's what I use (znc + Palaver) on the ipad.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 7, 2017

evergate
Jan 15, 2010
The best part of Trivia is always Popcorn. Popcorn and Portesi. And Ciderboys.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

you could do one of those & shirts with all the cool trivia stuff

Oz
& Trivia
& Popcorn
& Portesi
& C I D E R B O Y S
& mushmouths

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
TRIVIA!!!!!!!!!

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Sooooo excited!!

Seriously, even if you can only come hang out for an hour, DO IT!! There have been multiple people who have helped us answer high point questions simply because they decided to pop in and say hi at the same time

?beg

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I look forward to crushing it again this year.

it was a waffle ad

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

I live in stevens point. AMA

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Are you the same person who lives there and doesn't like the Trivia event much because of the weird crowds? I hope you'll come play with us again!

Hey what's our team name this year?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Trivial Fursuit: The Emperor Wears Know Clothes

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

Are you the same person who lives there and doesn't like the Trivia event much because of the weird crowds? I hope you'll come play with us again!

Hey what's our team name this year?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764188&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post456635910

Tygor!
Mar 7, 2017

Someday we'll be good again. Someday.

Deviant posted:

Trivial Fursuit: The Emperor Wears Know Clothes

That's not even close to the right amount of characters, lol (36 maximum including spaces). I know there's been a couple talked about in irc that have been good and still kinda fit in to the Fast & Furious theme, or even Star Wars.

P.S. Needed a new account since last one was tied to my previous work email and SA ignores support emails.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
Oh sweet, it's that time of year at long last! TRIVIA SEASON!

I might not be able to have the same level of activity I had 2014-2016 because 2017 is :yotj:

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Trivial Fursuit: Norris & His Humans

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Blue Wher posted:

Trivial Fursuit: Norris & His Humans

this, forever

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
trivial fursuit: diaper legion

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Aww yiss, in like mutha fuckin Flynn.

I was seriously thinking mere hours ago that this thread had to be coming soon.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Blue Wher posted:

Oh sweet, it's that time of year at long last! TRIVIA SEASON!

I might not be able to have the same level of activity I had 2014-2016 because 2017 is :yotj:

If you aren't online for the contest itself but have time to kill, there's always the option of taking notes of sitcoms. Unfortunately that means sitting through poo poo like 2 Broke Girls. Not something I'd recommend unless you're already dead inside.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

McStabby posted:

If you aren't online for the contest itself but have time to kill, there's always the option of taking notes of sitcoms. Unfortunately that means sitting through poo poo like 2 Broke Girls. Not something I'd recommend unless you're already dead inside.

I'm part time so I'll probably be around plenty, just probably not at '2nd most active person in irc during contest in 2015' levels

e: I can also probably just, like, request that Sunday off come to think of it.

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 7, 2017

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Oh man it's trivia time! I was just thinking about this, and was wondering if there'd be a thread about it soon.

I played for the first time last year. To anyone who hasn't joined us before: It's a blast, come join the fun! The goon team is a great and friendly community. Everyone else has said it, but it's worth repeating that anyone can contribute. You won't be useless, and you'll definitely have fun. For example, I spent most of my time trying to verify answers and jumping in with the music questions, and I ended up identifying one of the songs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Oh poo poo, I nearly forgot about this

Can't wait for it this year, hopefully I'm not sick like last year

Also, I love the logo this year

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 7, 2017

• Locked thread