Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Newest videos: /Polsy!

Current #barbarosfacts poll https://www.strawpoll.me/15214616 (as of 6 March)

Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure is an early Wii game that takes a lot of use of the motion controls for a fun little adventure game! I wouldn't say the motion controls are perfect by any means, but by and large they're pretty well implemented with only a few hiccups. It's a neat little game I picked up back when I first got a Wii and flew pretty largely under the radar, having rather abysmal sales. I wouldn't expect a sequel, but I do hope you'll enjoy this! The game does a pretty good job of explaining itself so I won't go into too much detail aside from saying that we're a pirate on a quest for treasure, adventure, and GLORY! The first video will be a bit slow as it's firmly in the tutorial zone, but things will pick up decently from the second video onwards. As this is a point and click adventure game, there will be plenty of opportunity for death scenes and unwinnable scenarios. All largely self-inflicted! I'll be doing my best to show those off for each level along with various other cool bits and bobs.

Thread Participation!
The game has a decent appreciation for its own goofiness and the nature of high seas tall tales, so over time talking to one of our friendly crewmates you'll hear rumors about members of the friendly crew, rival pirates, and about the legendary pirate Barbaros. Some of these conflict between what we've heard and what the man himself will tell us! Around the end of the majority of videos I'll toss out a piece of Barbaros trivia. #barbarosfacts, if you will. I'll start a poll with every video with a #barbarosfacts blurb and it will by the thread's job to vote whether they think the fact is true or false. At the end of the thread I'll go over each fact and give the thread a rating. Can you reach the coveted Unpuzzleable! rank?

Videos!

/Polsy!
/Polsy! -- #barbarosfacts poll
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!

Bonus Videos??
Two Alternate Methods/Polsy!
Barbaros's Bits/Polsy!

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Dramatis Personae (in order of presentation)

Our faithful sidekick. Bell. Flying monkey. Thing. Wiki will always be on hand to offer up snark, advice, and point us in the right direction. And to assist us in getting there!

Our noble hero! Wit like a whip and stubborn to boot, he'll never let danger get him down! Will he achieve his dream of becoming a RENOWNED PIRATE?

Ace pilot and wisdom dispenser, Johnny will be seen around the areas we visit often offering advice and fleeing from danger. Except he knows Zack and Wiki have got this, they don't need his help!

Our rival and captain of the Rose Rock Crew. Has a bunch of money and isn't afraid to throw it around. Where a pirate is ranked by how many treasures they get, the Rose Rock Crew wants to grab everything!

No crew would be complete without a set of goons to carry out the captain's every wish. These guys seem to be drat near invincible, bouncing back from anything! Not the smartest of the bunch, though!

The Legendary Pirate himself! Though he's looking a bit thin. Barbaros seems to have some past with Wiki, but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about!

Snitch and victim of a perpetual nasal drip. Dimmy will give us advice on gameplay and also offer us rumors about everyone we meet! (Rumors may not reflect reality)

Incredibly lazy, Loafrey will let us practice with any contraptions or items we run across in game. If you're going to avoid work, you've got to know how to do it first!

Granny runs the crew's shop, where we'll get items to offer to the Oracle to gain hints and rewind time if we meet a cruel fate. Also she told me to write that she is incredibly beautiful.

The Big Man of the Sea Rabbits, Captain Hulk is rumored to have been quite the adventurer in his day. We'll need to check in with him before we head out anywhere!

Ace treasure hunter, Maddy spends more time outside of the hideout than in it. He'll seek out the small stuff to fill out the bookcase while we seek out the big stuff!

Mysterious Treasures!

Barbaros' Pieces!

The Elend Bracelet found at the Pit of Tragedy

The Grauen Goblet found at the Three Colossi

The Neid Anchor found with the Flute of the Growlin' Goblins

The Abscheu Scope found behind the Fountain Guardian

The Verbitterung Axe found with The Crystal Key

The Leid Goblet stolen from The Keeper of the Ice

The Qual Hammer buried within The Icicle of Prosperity

The Ekel Bracelet found at The Bridge of Doom

The Zorn Candleabra found at the Lake of Fire

The Erstaunen Hammer taken from the Relics of the Past

The Trauer Axe found under some Dragon Scales

The Einsamkeit Belt pilfered from the Bell Tower of Requiem

The Groll Anchor found at the Painted Secret

The Entsetzen Compass grabbed from smashing Mirror, Mirror

The Angst Hourglass from performing Mad Science

The Verlangen Hat from the Return of the Legend

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 18, 2018

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Yarr! One of the better Wii games, I think. I will follow this thread with interest.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Wiki reminds me of a more annoying imp midna :v:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Man, I remember playing this game years ago. I got to the obligatory ice level before I gave up, so I'm excited to see more of the game! Also I remember literally nothing about Barbaros.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
I must have missed this little gem of a game. I will be here, watching and seeing if I can help tell fact from fiction. One thing I hope for in the future is Wiki be not so...in your face. I understand this was the tutorial, but I'm hoping he let's go of our hand real soon.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's time for our first REAL MISSION! Luckily (as everyone has been quite concerned), Wiki is not nearly as hand-holdy from here on out. It's sink or swim! It's also time for your first #barbarosfacts quiz. Barbaros' golden rule of piracy: keep the Wii Remote wrist strap attached at all times!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's time now for another perilous adventure, where Zack's lack of appreciation for the third dimension can leave his attempts at treasure hunting falling a bit flat.

/Polsy!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I like that the one pot that gets catapulted up incidentally has a snake in it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Motion controls are the future guys!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Tombot posted:

I like that the one pot that gets catapulted up incidentally has a snake in it.

Snakes won't be in every pot, but it does happen fairly often.

SSNeoman posted:

Motion controls are the future guys!

The vast majority of them aren't that bad. I can think of...maybe three or four that are a massive pain, but twisting my twist to put something upside down isn't the worst thing in the world.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I just like seeing games back when they were trying to use them for EVERYTHING.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I made it to the final stage of the game, but never could get past a certain part. So I'll be following with interest!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Game's cute and has really strong art direction which is always welcome. The puzzles right now though are kind of easy so I'm looking forward to seeing the harder ones later.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Elend and Grauen, hmmm. Ominous names, but I'm sure Barbaros is an honest guy who'll stick to his promise.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Scruffy please put a shirt on, it's distracting when you appear on the screen.

GameTrekker
Apr 2, 2011

Wow dude your voice is amazing. Only saw your LP of The Sexy Brutale before coming across this one today, so I should probably check out your other work too.

I was 19 when Zack & Wiki first came out and I remember finding it brutally difficult, though I don't quite remember why. Maybe it had something to do with me trying to 100% it. Or maybe it just had to do with how harshly the game punishes mistakes and how incredibly easy they are to make.

I'm super looking forward to seeing all the death scenes! Your extra effort in showing them all is most appreciated.

One thing about the audio in the videos: I'm finding that, in order for me to hear your voice clearly, I have to up my volume to a point where the game becomes a bit too loud when you're not speaking. Could your voice be amplified a bit more or the game softened a bit?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

GameTrekker posted:

One thing about the audio in the videos: I'm finding that, in order for me to hear your voice clearly, I have to up my volume to a point where the game becomes a bit too loud when you're not speaking. Could your voice be amplified a bit more or the game softened a bit?

I was going to post something similar, but more to complain that the audio in this game is extremely bad, with quasi random bangs and trumpets emerging out of nowhere, and repeated noises looping ad nauseum (the constant bird trill during the first Barbaros scene was ear torture). I'm not knocking the LP scruffy, because I'm not sure what you could do to improve it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm enjoying the heck out of Zack just falling for all these ancient deathtraps. Does some old architect's heart proud to know his creation finally fulfilled its ancient purpose.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Quite a charming game you're LPing, Scruffy. In the Three Colossi stage, what happens if you crank the right side first?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

GameTrekker posted:

I'm still working on the audio balancing, I'll probably get it wrong more before I get it right. Apologies for technical difficulties and whatnot. But I'm trying!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Quite a charming game you're LPing, Scruffy. In the Three Colossi stage, what happens if you crank the right side first?

Technically, nothing happens with the right-side colossus until you step on the trap platform. There is a slightly different animation for the ball rolling into the hole if the left-side colossus is in its normal position but that's about it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Yeah I'm double posting but it's my thread so nyeh. Also, more #barbarosfacts!

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
just chiming in to say your next time outro is perfect.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

cokerpilot posted:

just chiming in to say your next time outro is perfect.

I figured an epic adventure just isn't appropriately sent off unless you've got some echo effects.

Time for a nice relaxing fishing expedition.

/Polsy!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Google says the Fountain Guardian tune is from Speed Rumbler.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Roro posted:

Google says the Fountain Guardian tune is from Speed Rumbler.

Never heard of that game before. Neat!

It's time to finish off these jungle ruins by dethroning the reigning monarch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wiki's kind of a fuckin' rear end in a top hat.

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
Given Barbaros' comments and the sigil on the chests, it's highly likely that Wiki was involved in Barbaros' splitting / sealing somehow. At the moment, I'd give it about 50/50 odds of whether this was because Barbaros was actually horrible and evil or simply because Wiki is the sort of jerk that I could totally see 'forgetting' about playing an extremely convoluted game of hide and seek.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
All this Wiki maligning is simply just uncalled for vitriol. Wiki is a cool guy and my friend, he's just got a hyper-developed self interest organ. That's a healthy attitude in a pirate apprentice who is hunting for forbidden treasure!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I really liked that alternate Boss method, especially that ballsy transformation at the end. I hope they can keep that up.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Tombot posted:

I really liked that alternate Boss method, especially that ballsy transformation at the end. I hope they can keep that up.

There will be a few neat moments like that, but off the top of my head I can't think of any other levels with multiple solutions like that. Well, one, maybe!

A short and sweet introduction to the frozen temple. Not much to see here!

/Polsy!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I suppose he's the one flying them to the places but Johnny sure manages to get around nonetheless.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It could have been neat to have Barbaros out of his coffin in half-built states, watching him interact with the world in increasingly able ways as he was put back together, but that would likely have required a hell of a lot of work. The coffin just seems a bit static as is though.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

It could have been neat to have Barbaros out of his coffin in half-built states, watching him interact with the world in increasingly able ways as he was put back together, but that would likely have required a hell of a lot of work. The coffin just seems a bit static as is though.

He does pop out in one level later on with a bunch of pieces, but by and large he doesn't seem like the adventuring type at the moment. Plus he always gets all weird around Wiki, and Barbaros keeps asking Wiki if he remembers him. Probably nothing!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Haha, I think this level was the point where I gave up playing back in the day.

Enjoying the LP so far!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Arcomage posted:

At the moment, I'd give it about 50/50 odds of whether this was because Barbaros was actually horrible and evil or simply because Wiki is the sort of jerk that I could totally see 'forgetting' about playing an extremely convoluted game of hide and seek.

Why would you think Barbaros is horrible? Just because his body parts have ominous German names? I'm sure he will turn out to be an honest and friendly person.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the frost lions. They're a pretty neat motif.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

I like the frost lions. They're a pretty neat motif.

Man if you like the frost lions now you're going to love them in the level after this one.

/Polsy!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Was that the puzzle with multiple solutions you were thinking of earlier in the thread?

Tombot fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Tombot posted:

Was that the puzzle with multiple solutions you were thinking of earlier in the thread?

It's one of them, though I'm not sure if it counts considering they do effectively the same thing in smashing the ice cube. The next level has multiple layouts, although the way you reach the solution is the same.

• Locked thread