Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Hey, it’s Chickam time again, and this is our 10th year, yay! :derp:

What the Hell is *that* you ask? Why it’s a live webcam feed of baby chicks hatching in my ReptiPro incubator, in my dining room! After the hatch, we’ll move the cam to the brooder box in my dining room for the next 8 weeks, it will run 24/7, with sound, so you can watch the chicks grow up!

If you have any questions, please check my previous Chickam threads before posting them: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476644

But if you have a question that isn’t answered there, fire away! The Ustream page also has a chat feature.
UPDATE: As of 4/3 the stream has been moved. You can watch the hatch, with sound, here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7ICWyIMhWSp0UUJpAeTCw/live

Hope everyone is ready for some hot chick action, ‘cause we’ve got eggs pipped and chicks on the way…

Sadly, no broody hens so far this year, so no mama hen for the chicks. Not having a mama hen does them no harm at all, they get along just fine...but it’s too bad, because watching a mama hen interact with her chicks is a blast. And no, broody hens don’t care if she laid those eggs or not, all she cares about is OMG CHICKS.

This year, along with 6 of our own eggs, I also ordered some Dark India Cornish bantam eggs and some bantam Cochin (with possible Frizzles) eggs from breeders on ebay. Out of 9 Dark India Cornish eggs 3 developed, out of 8 bantam Cochin eggs 7 developed. I had another 8 eggs I had shipped from a breeder, but sadly none of those developed.

So we have a total of 16 eggs in the incubator!

I set the eggs in the incubator on March 10th and have been turning them 5 times a day ever since. The target hatch date is March 31st, but we've learned from experience that our chickens like to hatch a day or so early--sometimes two days early with the bantams. We have for sure 15 chicks in the eggs that remain in the incubator (another egg, #31, was too dark to candle so we’ll just have to wait and see on that one)! The first one, #6, a Dark India Cornish bantam egg pipped at 11:15PM on 3/28. HA—I was ready this time, since I’ve learned that bantam eggs like to hatch several days earlier then the usual incubation period of 21 days. Little bastards.

I candled (shone a bright light through each egg in a darkened room to see if there was an embryo inside) the eggs 10 days in and removed some duds, then candled again on day 17 and removed a few more that I hadn’t been sure of at the first round of candling. That’s why you’ll see a break in the number sequence of the eggs.

In addition to being numbered, each egg is marked with an X on one side and an O on the other, this is for us to keep track of which egg was turned every time we turned the eggs—5 times a day for three weeks, by the way. I’d also marked them on the large end of the egg with their breed: I is for Dark India Cornish, MF and CB are the Cochin bantams. Eggs from our flock have no breed markings.

We ended up with 8 chicks--5 bantam Cochins and 3 chicks from our own eggs!
I'll post pictures of the chicks in the thread, it'll help you ID who is who.
Bantam Cochins
#23, Fireball, pipped at 8AM 3/29, hatched at 3AM 3/30
#24, Luna, pipped at 3:40PM 3/29 (pipped at the wrong end of the egg, had to assist and unzip her about 1/3 of the way, she finished up on her own), hatched at 12PM 3/30
#25, Pickle, pipped at 6PM 3/29, hatched at 11PM 3/30
#21, Bobo, pipped at 6AM 3/30, hatched at 10:15AM 3/30
#19, Gumdrop, pipped at 3PM 3/30, hatched at 9PM 3/30

Eggs from our flock
#37, Nora, pipped at 6:30AM 3/29, hatched at 12:35AM 3/30
#26, Pongo', pipped at 1:15PM 3/29, hatched at 12:45PM 3/30
#29, Zuul, pipped at 12:45PM 3/30, hatched at 1:30AM 3/31

Unfortunately none of the bantam Dark India Cornish eggs hatched. :smith:
You can watch the hatch, with sound, here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

UPDATE: As of 4/3 the stream has been moved. You can watch the hatch, with sound, here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7ICWyIMhWSp0UUJpAeTCw/live

BTW—please keep the Ustream chat CLEAN. Lots of teachers in classrooms filled with kids watch Chickam every year. We have zero tolerance for over-the-top bad language, racism, hate or other things of that nature and will kick & ban anyone not being a decent human being.

NOW FOR THE BEST PART: YOU GUYS GET TO NAME THE CHICKS! Post your name suggestions here--be advised we already have chickens named things like ‘Dinner’, ‘Burger’, etc.--so use your imagination and give us some good/weird/fun chicken names! One name per Goon, please. I will make a list of the names and as each chick hatches we will draw a name for it out of a hat. Chickens are silly creatures and deserve silly names!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Does ustream really not work in chrome?

The video player is just a black box in firefox instead of telling me my browser is not supported.

I've loaded up the great satan Internet Explorer 11 to view this stream.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 30, 2018

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
name a chicken Terry Taylor

i have been asking you to do this for a decade

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

^^^ I KNOW. It's happened to a lot of people! Hey, we *finally* have a 'Strychnine', so don't lose hope!

UStream can be a real poo poo. Clearing your cookies and reloading the page often works. Also, make sure you have Shockwave Flash installed... 12_String says you may have to tell your browser that it's OK to use Shockwave Flash.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 30, 2018

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Name a chicken "Cockerel Spaniel" and hope it turns out to be the floofiest :3:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I always like the chickam thread

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Love the idea, love the thread, but I would like to request perhaps a video, an image, heck even a gif, as I cannot get that link to work.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Do you feed these guys to snakes?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm all alcucker about chickam

please name a chick 'bertie'

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
this is a little bit of a derail, but VS, was it your husband who did the epic Halloween prank one year where he dressed up as a scarecrow decoration and scared the crap out of trick or treaters? It was livestreamed on the forum and it was funny as hell.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I say we should call a chicken a chicken so let's name one Koko in honor of Esperanto.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Tossing Spartacus in as a name for a future gladiator chicken :black101:

WEEDCAT
Oct 31, 2005

*sets you on fire*
Name one WEEDCAT. Thanks.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

WEEDCAT posted:

Name one WEEDCAT. Thanks.
You can't do it again, man.

Is Weedcat still around? Can we get a Weedcat update?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Please put Pongo in to the hat.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
name one of the peeps Gilgamesh
also you should try to hide like a lizard or turtle egg in with 'em one year but don't tell anyone

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
Ground floor of chickam.
All hail Flamingolight.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
Throwing Balut into the hat.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
Ooh, it's been a while since I've been around for Chickam! Is the one darker egg one from your flock?

Please call one of the chicks Halogen Dichroic Reflector.

Ghost-Slug fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 30, 2018

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Yay Chickam!

Tossing Sully in as a name.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Every time I've been around SA for one of these I've put in the name Mellotron and it's been so long I can't remember why that started

It's a neat thing I guess!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Please name a chickam Loretta after my favourite chicken as a babby.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Posting in the Official Chickam thread! Hyacinth is the name I chose! :dance:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Neutrino posted:

^^^ We already had a Loretta, sorry. Choose another name!

Do you feed these guys to snakes?

Hell no, my chickens would terrorize those poor snakes.

Elukka posted:

You can't do it again, man.

Is Weedcat still around? Can we get a Weedcat update?

:smith: Oh dear. You haven't heard. We lost Weedcat September of 2015--he had some kind of weird, rare thyroid growth. We were VERY unhappy to lose him. He actually is having a paper written on him because it was so rare. When the guy writing the paper asked my permission to use Weedcat's case, I said yes--but he had to refer to Weeds by his full name and title: His Majesty King Fluffypants, Weedcat.

Fortunately none of Weedcat's offspring seem to be suffering from the thyroid issue that got Weeds.

And yeah, it WAS my husband that did the scarecrow thing. It got to be quite popular on our block--people would bring their friends and not warn them what was about to happen. There was a video on YouTube, if I can find the link I'll post it. Our new neighborhood is dead on Halloween so 12_String doesn't do the scarecrow any more.

Another egg, #25, has pipped! Still nobody unzipping... We may get a chick tonight, we may not. Past experience tells me that the little snots will hatch at 3AM.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 30, 2018

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
g*d bless chickam

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013
Moving my name suggestion here, Gumdrop!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Beatrix Potter

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I request a chicken named McFeely.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Pecky Connors

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
We haven't actually had a Polish hatch yet, have we?

And for a name... uh. Let's go with Hrennisk. I've already named a chicken so I can die happy. Or slightly less miserable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I vote for Rabbit, as it's Easter.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Instead of Loretta, I will put in Cecilia after my second favourite chicken as a babby.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Space Cop

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Taco Cat

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Dinglehopper cuz of the Disney princess water weasel!

I also can't believe it's been TEN YEARS. Best part of Spring

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Chickam!!

How about Russell Crow

Nutella
Jun 27, 2005

"And the meek shall inherit the earth"
Yay chicks! Please put "Lemmy" in for a name.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Its back! I'd like to throw in Muse please.

SavoyMarionette
May 23, 2007
I speak only the truth.
Yay tiny chicks. Name one "Fireball".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Please name one Lowtax's Spine thanks.

• Locked thread