Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
This right here is a recruitment thread. It's for Tenra Bansho Zero.

The basic premise of the game is that the players are outsiders who for whatever reason have been brought together by fate in a small, independent village in the wilds. This village is about to be caught in the middle of a major conflict, and as outsiders, you may be the only ones capable of resolving matters before all involved are dragged into terrible bloodshed.

So, that's a brief pitch, and this is going to be a brief recruit post. I'll probably elaborate more as more stuff comes to mind, but right now I want to leave things pretty open.

Here's some stuff: Don't apply for this if you can't play nice with others. This game is intended to be relatively brief. I want to do short stories - TBZ is designed for short self contained stories and that's what we'll be doing. In anime terms, think of it as an OVA rather than a full on series.

Newcomers to TBZ are welcome. You don't need to know the setting that well. I certainly don't.

Selling me on your app is going to involve getting some interesting hooks as to why you left your home and ended up in a tiny village somewhere in the wilds.

Think like...Princess Mononoke, only with cyborgs and mechs instead of curses and samurai.

Recruitment will go until I feel like stopping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
I will definitely be apping something!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
I bought TBZ ages ago and haven't had an opportunity to put it to good use. I think that opportunity might finally have arrived! I'll see what I can come up with.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
IT BEGINS.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm always up for a TBZ game, but I wanted to ask some questions to make sure I'm not going to step on your toes first.

Will you be direly offended if I use a character sheet and concept from a prior, dead game, or would you rather I come up with something wholly new?

How much freedom do we have to elaborate on the village and the threats posed to it?

Are there any archetypes or mechanical options you want us to avoid?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I'd like to also ask if custom archetypes are allowed, following the rules on page 416.

UPDATE:

pre:
[16:16] <Leraika> Hey Ridley
[16:16] <RidleyPhone> Hi Leraika
[16:16] <RidleyPhone> The answer is go ahead
[16:16] <Leraika> YESSIR
[16:17] <RidleyPhone> And you can post in thread that I said so
[16:17] <RidleyPhone> Since I hate phone posting
[16:17] <Leraika> YESSIR
[16:17] <RidleyPhone> :)
[16:18] <Leraika> Any archetypes that we should be avoiding, while I'm grilling you for info?
[16:18] <Leraika> I know someone else asked that
[16:19] <RidleyPhone> Nah throw whatever in. Including ideas about the village.
[16:19] <Leraika> Gotcha.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 21, 2015

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
I'd love to app for this but I'm going to Gencon in a week. Should I wait until I get back to see if recruitment is still open?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I've never played, but I will try to app something soon.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Definitely interested, but not settled on an idea yet.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Kawaguchi Jinbei, Kijin Swordsman

Just, uh, pretend there are mechanica implants there. Finding a good portrait for a kijin is hard.

As a young man, the peasant farmer Jinbei was drafted into his lord's army. He managed to survive a few battles as an infantryman (mostly due to dumb luck), which earned him the dubious privilege of an extended military career and real training. It turned out that he had something of a talent for swordplay, and over five years he rose in rank (as much as a commoner can), earning both enough pay for a comfortable retirement and a family name. And then he found himself at the center of a Prayer Seal Cannon blast.

Like many things in war, the explosion hit suddenly. Even now, Jinbei can't recall it with any precision: all he remembers is noise, heat, and pain. The attack obliterated his arm and a large part of his torso; only sheer will to live kept him alive long enough for a more long-term solution. An ordinary soldier would have been left to die, but Jinbei was an elite, and his lord was unwilling to give him up. He ordered the swordsman patched up with mechanica implants, replacing his missing arm and damaged organs with steel facsimiles. At first, Jinbei resented what had become of him. How could machinery replace his own flesh and blood?

The answer, as it turned out, was "very well." Jinbei quickly grew accustomed to his new artificial parts, and soon after came to enjoy the benefits they granted him. The ability to smash through enemies' defenses from out of their reach, to take wounds that would kill regular men without blinking, to fly into and out of combat... He found it exhilarating. And when his term in the military ended, he knew retirement wasn't for him. He immediately spent his pay on an upgrade for him arm, then took to the life of a wandering swordsman. He challenged anyone who would face it, seeking both a worthy foe (an increasingly difficult proposition) and whatever money he could scrape together for yet more mechanica implants. In fact, only a lack of money has kept him from succumbing to the lure of mechanica entirely.

Still on the road, Jinbei has come to a small village, nondescript by any measure. His intent is to do nothing more than stop there before moving on, but maybe this tiny town has something - or someone - that can remind him what it is to be human.

pre:
Name: Kawaguchi Jinbei
Sex: Male
Concept: Rogue Kijin Swordmaster
Archetypes: Swordmaster, Paragon, Kijin (Modified Loadout)
Karma Cost: 65
Attribute Cost: 7

Vitality (Body + Spirit): 31/31
Soul ([Spirit + Knowledge] x2): 16/16
Kiai (Current/Spent): 0/0
Total Karma: 65

Wounds
------
Light:    [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Heavy:    [ ][ ][ ]
Critical: [ ][ ]
Dead:     [ ]

Body: 6                            Knowledge: 3
  Unarmed Combat: *                  Information: **
  Wormcharm:                         Onmyojutsu: 

Agility: 8                         Spirit: 5
  Movement: **                       Willpower: *
  Melee Weapons: ****                Resonance: 
  Evasion: *                         Interface: 
  Stealth: *                         Bhuddhist Magic: 
  Ninjutsu: 
  Criminal Arts:                   Empathy: 3
                                     Persuasion: *
Senses: 4                            Pillow Arts: *
  First Aid: ***                     Perform: 
  Notice: **
  Marksman: *                      Station: 4
  Pursuit/Hunt: *                    Strategy: 
  Forgery:                           Etiquette: 
                                     Shinto: 
                                     Art of Rule: 
Arts of War
  Art of Ki Manipulation: ****

Fates
-----
(D)
Emotion: The Allure of Mechanica ***
Goal: Find a Worthy Opponent **

Total Fate Cost: 10

Weapons
-------
"Killing Edge" (Masterwork Soulgem Greatsword): Dmg. +12, RoF 5, Ammo 8/8

Mechanica
---------
Class Otsu Mechanica Arm: +5 Dmg, 2 Slots
  Extendable Arm: Can make melee attacks from 5m away.
  Arm Storage Compartment: Arm contains storage space for a small object.
Class Kou Mechanica Torso: +20 Vitality, 4 Slots
  Flight Booster: Fly for 2 rounds at 320m/round
  Reinforced Lungs: Can hold breath for five hours.
  Smoke Screen: 1/scene, release a cloud of smoke that completely obscures 
    vision.
  Glorious Death Bomb: Can be activated to deal 30 damage to all within 15m, 
    including self.  Checks user's Dead Box when used.

Other Possessions
-----------------
15 Soulgems

Art of War
----------
Art of Ki Manipulation ****: On a hit with an attack or counterattack, spend 
Soul to increase the damage (1 damage per 2 Soul).

Notes
-----
One *** skill from the Kijin Archetype was converted into three ** skills (same
point cost).  Kijin mechanica loadout was changed.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 27, 2015

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Interest post. Thinking of playing a kongohki

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The answer to every question so far in the thread is "go ahead".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Time to crack open the TBZ stuff I got for my birthday, because I am super into having a chance to play this game

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Otsuru the Fox, Rebellious Half-Henge

Obligatory animal ear character.

Otsuru is the daughter of Nakadani no Seiko, a relatively minor Ayakashi spirit (who often styled herself the Queen of Foxes) that became fascinated with a common man by the name of Nankichi. After her mother's deception was later exposed and her father felt betrayed, her mother fled into the wilderness. Otsuru, born in the likeness of a fox, was raised by her mother alone. Over the years, her mother's obsession with one man turned into an infatuation with humans in general, then to envy, and then eventually to hatred.

In this environment, Otsuru was raised to hate and make the lives of humans miserable. She was a dutiful daughter who obeyed her mother, though doing so never seemed to sit well with her inwardly. But, as Seiko's emotions slowly grew more and more unhinged and irrational, the she things expected of Otsuru grew more and more wicked and outlandish.

Otsuru had known from an early age that she was different than her mother, who always seemed to admonish the girl for her comparatively poor abilities. Even in her earliest encounters with human beings, Otsuru had felt an odd sort of kinship with them that she couldn't quite explain. A kind of longing to belong, and to do as they did. Causing pain and hurt in the human world for no reason other than her own sense of whimsy and satisfaction was something that gave her no joy. With every act she committed, she felt worse and worse, and was certain that if she continued to do as her mother wished, those aspects of humanity that she so longed to explore the most would soon be lost to her forever.

It wasn't long afterwards that Otsuru revolted. Seiko was enraged, unleashing her full fury upon her rebellious daughter. Otsuru fled, avoiding the worst of her mother's wrath, but she was pursued. Terrified and desperate, Otsuru has traveled many hundreds of Ri to escape her mother's crazed vengeance. She has sought safety among the human populace wherever she can, having adopted the closest approximation to a human form that she could muster and using simple disguise to hide the rest. It has been some time since the two have encountered one another, but Otsuru is certain her mother hasn't given up the chase.

Growing up, she had heard her mother's tale countless times, about how all humans were shallow and selfish. But now, having traveled among them and witnessing the harsh realities of life for the common folk of Tenra during her flight, she could not begrudge them their fear of the supernatural. After all, she herself had even learned to be scared in spite of her own supernatural heritage.

Although discretion would still be necessary, Otsuru vowed that if it came down to it, she would not betray anyone's trust by pretending to be something she wasn't. She felt that she had a wicked past to atone for, and that where she could, she would work to make the lives of those around her better. Even if it was only in the smallest of ways. During her subsequent travels, her take-it-or-leave-it attitude has not won her many friends. Unsurprisingly, more often than not, the revelation of her inhuman nature has gotten her chased out of villages, in spite of her well-meaning nature. Confrontation has been a rare occurance, with Otsuru choosing to run away rather than force the issue. A few incidents have resulted in powerful and dangerous hunters which have required her to manifest some of her more powerful abilities to survive.

Since arriving in this most recent village, smaller and more remote than most others she's visited in the past, Otsuru has tried to keep a low profile. She just needs somewhere that can provide just a small respite from her travels for just a little while. She dare not dream that such a tranquil and remote place could ever become a home to someone such as herself.

pre:
Name: Otsuru the Fox
Sex: Female
Concept: Ayakashi who rejects her heritage
Archetypes: Henge-Daughter, Traveling Performer
Karma Kost: 85
Attribute Cost: 2

7 - Body                 3 - Knowledge
   (4) Unarmed Combat       (2) Information
   (0) Wormcharm            (0) Onmyojutsu
9 - Agility              5 - Spirit
   (3) Movement             (2) Willpower
   (1) Melee Weapons        (0) Resonance
   (3) Evasion              (0) Interface
   (1) Stealth              (0) Buddhist Magic
   (0) Ninjutsu          4 - Empathy
   (0) Criminal Arts        (3) Persuasion
5 - Senses                  (1) Pillow Arts
   (1) First Aid            (3) Perform
   (2) Notice             1 - Station
   (1) Marksman             (0) Strategy
   (2) Pursuit              (0) Etiquette
   (0) Forgery              (0) Shinto
                            (0) Art of Rule

Vitality: 12/12      Soul: 16/16
   Light Wounds: OOOOOOO
   Heavy Wounds: OOOO
   Critical: OO
   Dead: O

Weapons:
   Retractable Claws, Natural Weapons - Unarmed, Damage +15

Special Abilities:
   Yohjutsu Abilities:
      (2) Healing, (3) Invisibility, (3) Multiple Forms,
      (4) Natural Weapon, (1) Superspeed
   Weakness:
      (4) Taboo: Cannot break promises

Fate:
   (3) Emotion: Hatred of Ayakashi
   (2) Emotion: Longing for a Family

Possessions:
   64 Mon, a large straw hat, a small pearlescent sphere,
   plain-looking shamisen
pre:
Archetype Information:
Name: Henge-Daughter (Half-Ayakashi)
Karma Cost: 75
Skills:
   (4) Unarmed
Attribute Penalty: 2
Primary Attributes: Body, Agility
Equipment:
   Yohjutsu Abilities
      (2) Healing
      (3) Invisibility
      (3) Multiple Forms
      (4) Natural Weapon, Retractable Claws
      (1) Superspeed
   Equip Cost: 120
Special Ability:
   Weakness:
      (4) Taboo: Cannot break promises
Attacks:
   Damage +15
Fate:
   Emotion: Hatred of Ayakashi
Description:
The result of a Henge's doomed love of a human, you have
rejected your Ayakashi upbringing in favor of exploring
the human world.  Your heritage has left you indelibly
marked however, making your journey difficult, if not
outright perilous at times.

bahamut fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 7, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Been working on a miko / onmyoji when I can find the time.

You want to know why I’m in this little town? I mean, there’s no good reason a genius miko like me should be stuck trying to repair some ugly shrine nobody remembers! Yeah, I called it ugly. Maybe you should have loved it more. You know who loved this shrine more than you? Wasps. You know who has to deal with those wasps? Me. Yes, of course I’ll bless your crops. That’s my job. You want a hug? Go ask the wasps. You want love? You want peace of mind? Go ask the Buddha. You want a blessing that matters? You need a spirit quelled? Ask me.

Father believed in becoming one with the Buddha. Compassion. Kindness. Empathy. Tranquility. So when Lord Shirakawa shows up and burns our crops in his march through our province, our people starve, but father doesn’t raise a hand because he’s too enlightened. Only, then we have nothing. Shirakawa doesn’t even bother marching to our capital because he knows my father would rather fall on his sword than raise it. So father practically gives our castle away to make up the money to try and feed his people. And then he gives me away to the Northern court in exchange for favors in rebuilding. Oh, it’s my duty. Oh, and why me? Why not one of my six siblings? The court asks father which is the wisest, the most learned, the most skilled- you get the point. Of course he names me.

I’m not the first in our family to join the priesthood, though. Mother is a member, I think mainly to get away from father, but she of course held me to her own extremely strict standards. And I live up to it, not that she'll ever tell me that. Because of course I can. I'm not some useless noble. But she doesn’t think I’m ready to be an agent. Of course not. Well, I her them know I disagree. Clearly. A lot. I get called a spoiled little princess? Spoiled? My father raised me on millet and boiled vegetables. “It is all the soul requires.” I was expected to sweep like anybody else, just in nicer clothes. Don't lecture me about humility. I know all about humility. Better to be honest. Politeness? My father was polite. Didn't keep his people from starving. Actions are what matter.

So I finally get get a field assignment, and here I am. Safe and away from trouble where you people hardly need me. The shrine needs me, that’s for sure, but you people have it pretty good, away from Tenra’s troubles. And now you have it even better.

Because I’m here! You’re welcome!

pre:
Imube Otoha, Arrogant Miko

Archetypes: Aristocrat (15), Fallen Monk (10), Onmyoji: Taoist Sorcerer (40), Taira Agent Miko (25)

Fates: Emotion: Loyalty to the Northern Court 3, Goal: Revel in Danger 2

Attribute Cost: 1	Karma: 10	Meikyo Karma: 80

Body: 3		Agility: 3	Senses: 3    	Knowledge: 10	Spirit: 5
Empathy: 8	Station: 7	Vitality: 8	Soul: 30	Wounds: 3 / 2 / 1 / 1

Skills:		Art of Rule 3, Art of War: The Hands of Merciful Kannon 3, Buddhist Magic 3,
		Etiquette 3, Information 2, Interface 2, Onmyojutsu 4, Persuasion 2, Shinto 2,
		Unarmed Combat 3

Equipment:	Amafuda Pass, Meikyo mirror and abacus, Interface Helm, fancy clothes, gold jewelry,
		ink and brush, 10 prayer strips, 5 soulgems

Build Notes:	Soulgem sword and kimenkyo mirror were removed to reduce equip cost / karma. Etiquette
		duplicate skill on Onmyoji template was swapped for Art of War. Interface was reduced on
		Miko template to reduce cost by 10. 1 attribute point was spent to gain Unarmed Combat 3.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 26, 2015

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Ba Yau, Oni Zedai-ryu Warrior

The promise of Kikoku is the promise of oni who need never fear the human pogroms and hunts, the promise of a peaceful life without danger and harassment. While this promise still stands in Kikoku, many who fought for the revolution have begun to turn their eyes outwards. One country may be safe, but oni all throughout the land still fear, still live and die on the whims of the human lords who intrude on their lands. While most warriors of Kikoku still live there to reap the benefits, some - including the vicious and famed Mi-Hal the Roaring Lightning - have left to travel and protect oni using their newfound knowledge of Zetai-ryu, the resonance-tied art of war. She also brought along her apprentice, Ba-Yau.

The two traveled for some time. More then one they stopped an oni hunting party. At least one village was taught the ways of the Zedaishu to better defend themselves. The name Mi-Hal the Roaring Lightning was spoken in hopeful whispers amongst no small number of oni. Also, her apprentice, Ba-Yau, was present.

When the great Mi-Hal the Roaring Lightning was slain, it was a battle for the ages. Common soldiers lay strewn across the the wastes as they were flung away, onmyouji died in surprise as their summons vanished, samurai shrunk down to simple ordinary humans only to be cut down, kijin found every bullet repelled back at them, such was her mastery of Tae Rayi and Zetai-ryu. In the end, it was her kindness that lead to her falling. Amongst the scores of bounty hunters, a single Yoroi Armour was also sent to bring her down. She had disabled the metalic behemoth and had cut it open to see who would lead it against her, only to find a small child. Despite the child's trembling terror, despite that it had just tried to murder her, Mi-Hal the Roaring Lightning picked the human girl up gently and brought her back down to earth to set her free. She was Zedaishu, and she was better then those humans who would drive away or kill oni children. Behind her a human samurai, near death, gave a rictus grin. As she knelt down to place the Armour Rider, he, in his last breath, drove his blade through her back. The oni of legends was dead.

And her apprentice, Ba-Yau, was present.

Ba-Yau has tried to take on her mantle. She wishes to be as great a Zedaishu as her master was, but those are some mighty big shoes to fill. She remembers her lessons - all of them - but that doesn't mean she understands them as well. Mistrust the priesthood. Protect our people. Yi-yil made us Lu-Tirae to safeguard the earth. Listen always to Dii-go. Hide your horns, but wear your laz-dii-go with pride. The dream of Kikoku is the dream of humans and oni uniting together. That last one is giving her lots of problems. It was humans who killed her master, even as she showed them compassion. Humans who hunt the oni everywhere they've gone. Humans that force her to hide her horns. How can they ever work together if they hate her so much simply for existing?

She isn't sure if there are any oni around in this newest village. She hasn't heard of any being around yet. Maybe this is a chance to simply rest a bit before heading back on the road. Isolated as it is, maybe they don't even hate oni here. Maybe she can even take off the head coverings and hat and let her horns feel the wind. Or maybe something else is going to happen.

pre:
Name: Ba-Yau
Concept: Travelling oni knight with lofty aspirations trying to deny her lust for revenge
Archetypes: Oni, Paragon, Swordmaster (-equipment), Hard Luck
Attribute Cost: -1	Karma: 90

Attributes
Body 7		Agility 6		Knowledge 4
Senses 5	Spirit 8		Empathy 6
Station 3

Vitality: 15
Soul: 24
Wounds: Light OOOOOOO / Heavy OOOO / Critical OO / Dead O

Skills
Art of War (Resonance Blade Style): ****
First Aid: **
Melee Weapons: ****
Movement: ***
Persuasion: **
Pursuit/Hunt: ***
Resonance: ****
Willpower: **

Weapons
Sha-blade (Spirit: Melee Weapons) - Damage: +8
Din (Body: Resonance) - Damage: GM dependent RoF: GM dependent

Fates
Goal: Be As Great As My Teacher 3
Misfortune: Humans Slew My Teacher 2

Techniques/Resonance
Howling Light Technique
Shield of Brilliant Light
Wall of Radiant Light
Alu - Heaven
Dii - Earth
Mighu - the Calm

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Takatsukasa no Masaharu, Fallen Onmyouji

The missive sent to the capital from the Cloudy Satchel Atelier said merely: 'Please inform Lord Takatsukasa and Lord Ayanokoji that their sons have passed away in an unfortunate accident'. It was an uncharacteristic letter (and not only because the atelier master was the sort of man who never used one word when twenty would suffice) - Cloudy Satchel was the sort of place where the nobility placed those progeny who had the talent and wits to Do Great Things Just So Long As Those Great Things Weren't Politics. It was, in short, the sort of place where accidents, unfortunate or otherwise, did not happen. Of course, the master of the atelier had his position (and his head's attachment to his shoulders) to consider, so there was a good deal he had to leave out - namely, the fact that Lord Takatsukasa's son was still alive.

The Incident, as it was gingerly named after the fact, had started innocuously enough - a package had arrived from the capital courtesy of Lord F-------, a somewhat provincial warlord determined to show himself worthy of a more prestigious position - and what better way than by making a rather sizable donation to the foremost bastion of arts and culture in the land? It was the sort of self-serving but ultimately benign gesture that would have turned out just fine for all concerned if he'd sent, say, a chest filled with money, or maybe a new book collection. Lord F-------, however, had a much grander present in mind.

He sent the Cloudy Satchel Atelier a heartgem, along with a note stating that it had been taken from a particularly troublesome 'beast' in his province, and wouldn't it be a wonderful idea to turn it into something wondrous? Why, he'd heard the Eight Tablets Atelier had made great strides in shiki summoning when they'd gotten their hands on a heartgem themselves, and -

The master of the Cloudy Satchel, who had also heard the rumors of the Eight Tablets's recent fortune, immediately set his best and brightest to work on making something of the heartgem, strongly suggesting that maybe if they had a vested interest in maintaining their positions within the school, they should acquire a vested interest in creating a shiki greater than anything those philistines at Eight Tablets could come up with. Said best and brightest were a pair of young men named Ayanokoji no Kazuaki and Takatsukasa no Masaharu - best friends (of a sort), rivals, and, between them, utterly unmatched in summoning ability (at least at Cloudy Satchel). As both were at that particular age where sheer bloody-mindedness could still serve as a stand in for things like sleep, their research and planning progressed quickly enough that it was only a few weeks before the shiki's design had been finalized, and the ritual to summon it set to begin.

Masaharu's memory after the ritual started was, regretfully, sketchy - the heartgem blazing like a new sun as the shiki took form around it; the shiki itself, a golden-eyed crow with far too many legs and wings; the screech like steel on stone it gave as it broke free of his control... and the searing pain as it turned in him, tearing out one of his eyes. How like a crow, he thought, somewhat hysterically. Before he could react to defend himself, Kazuaki was already charging the shiki, sword drawn. It turned on him, and...

...And the next thing Masaharu remembered was waking later - how much later? - and staring into the face of Ayanokoji no Kazuaki's mangled corpse as the shiki escaped, streaking into the sky like a comet.

--

As soon as Masaharu had recovered enough to travel, he left Cloudy Satchel without a word, much to the atelier master's relief. Since then, he's been drifting from town to town, constantly in pursuit of a beast like a crow with too many legs and wings, and a heart that glowed like a newborn sun...

pre:
Name: Tatsukasa no Masaharu
Sex: Male
Concept: Onmyouji Shiki-hunter
Archetypes: Onmyouji - Taoist Sorcerer, Doctor, Taoist Duelist (CUSTOM)
Karma Cost: 85
Attribute Cost: 2

Vitality (Body + Spirit): 11/11
Soul ([Spirit + Knowledge] x2): 32/32
Kiai (Current/Spent): 0/0
Total Karma: 65

Wounds
------
Light:    [][][][]
Heavy:    [][]
Critical:   []
Dead:      []

Body: 4                            Knowledge: 9
  Unarmed Combat: *                  Information: *
  Wormcharm:                         Onmyojutsu: ****

Agility: 5                         Spirit: 7
  Movement: *                      Willpower: *
  Melee Weapons: ***                Resonance: 
  Evasion: *                         Interface: 
  Stealth: *                         Bhuddhist Magic: 
  Ninjutsu: 
  Criminal Arts:                   Empathy: 4
                                     Persuasion: *
Senses: 6                            Pillow Arts: *
  First Aid: ***                     Perform: 
  Notice: **
  Marksman: *                      Station: 3
  Pursuit/Hunt: *                    Strategy: 
  Forgery:                           Etiquette: ***
                                     Shinto: 
                                     Art of Rule: 
Arts of War
  True Illusion Style: ***

Fates
-----
(D)
Goal: Avenge the Fallen ***
Goal: Protect the Weak **

Total Fate Cost: 10

Weapons
-------
Noble's Short Sword 'Oborozuki-no-Hanashiori' (Masterwork Short Sword, +4 Damage, 3 station, TALISMAN)

Talismans
---------
Heaven's Unyielding Gaze 'Juugoya-to'
Creation points: 21, Summon Cost: 11

Abilities:
Possession 1 
Shiki Destroyer 1
Soulfind 1
Additional Damage 6

A shiki bound to Masaharu's sword. When separately summoned, it takes the form of a monstrous white rabbit with a third eye set vertically in the middle of its forehead.

Other Possessions
-----------------
15 Soulgems

Art of War
----------
True Illusion Style ***:  Use Knowledge instead of Agility when rolling Melee Weapons.
When attacking and rolling Knowledge on the attack roll, may declare use of Light and Shadow, doubling the difference in number of successes for whoever succeeds on the attack.

Notes
-----
TAOIST DUELIST archetype
You have taken up the sword and left your life of comfort to correct your greatest failure.
Karma Cost: 25
Skills: Art of War - True Illusion Style 3, Melee Weapons 3
Attribute Penalty: 2
Primary Attribute: Knowledge
Equip Cost: 20
Station Requirement: 3
Weapons:
Noble's Short Sword 'Oborozuki-no-Hanashiori' (Masterwork Short Sword, +4 Damage, 3 station, TALISMAN)
Special Abilities: None
Fate: Goal: Avenge the Fallen

Leraika fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 28, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

My app is wrapped up!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Okay I've got the gist of everything. Shinobi-runaway-hiding-as-villager incoming.

e: actually looking over ninjas I'm not sure how fun any of this actually is compared to all the other stuff in this game so I might come up with a plan b

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 26, 2015

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Eight,

You are to proceed with haste up the Kurogensen-do to a village approximately ninety ri from the Cloudy River.

It is paramount to our interests that this village remain independent from ulterior influence. Dispose of any enemy assets you encounter. Further intelligence will be available upon your arrival.

Do not disappoint us.

-

Rokusuke had been on the dusty road for hours before he happened on the little roadside shrine in the shade. The cool gloom was welcome after the intense heat of the summer noon-time.

His hand twitched toward the sword at his waist, then relaxed. There was another person at the shrine, a young girl. She was seated on the stone bench beside the kami statue, drinking from a clay mug. She smiled as he approached.

Rokusuke planted himself on the other end of the bench and sighed, trying to breathe the heat out of himself. He sat there for a few heartbeats, taking in the green glow of the sun through the canopy above. When he looked back down, the girl was still smiling at him.

"Hello," she said. Her voice was high and cheerful. "Headed anywhere good?"

The swordsman dragged a blocky thumb along his jaw, scratching at the stubble there. "Suppose not," he said after a while. "Out on a job, headed to a little village a ways up the road."

Her eyebrows shot up into the fringe of her hair. "Oh, me too! I'm doing a job for my family. Not far from here, at least. It's so hot today, I wouldn't want to go much further!"

"Mmm." He closed his eyes and thought cool thoughts.

"You know how family can be. They're so demanding, but what can you do? I'm Saki, by the way. I'm pretty good at this - you look like a... Takatsune, am I right?"

"Rokusuke."

"Ah, oh no! I'm usually so good at guessing people's names! Give me a second chance. You sound like you're from... Ryuurinshu? Tell me I got that right."

"Inao."

"Yessss! I never miss an accent! Here, let's have a drink to celebrate."

Something clinked. He opened one eye and looked sideways at the girl. She was pouring something into the mug. It smelled sweet, and it was cold enough to make the bottle sweat.

"That's a long way from here," Saki said. "You must have quite a story to bring you so far."

"Not as such."

She paused with the mug halfway to her lips. "Oh, come on! Everybody's got a story- here you go."

Rokusuke took the mug. He must have lingered too long, looking at the mechanical arm she held the little cup in, because she quieted down.

"Everybody, I guess," she said. She put her right hand out in front of her and spread the steel fingers, examining the joints. "It's not always a nice story. I made a pretty big mistake, and now I have to live with the consequences."

The drink was surprisingly cold, and it tasted like persimmons. He cleared his throat, then spoke up. "This is good."

She brightened back up immediately. "Oh, I'm glad you like it! It's an old family recipe. I'm not even the best at making it, but I'm so happy it turned out okay. Here, have as much as you like. It'll keep the heat off."

They sat in silence for some time, facing out onto the rolling plain before them.

Finally, Saki got to her feet. She took her mug back from unresisting hands, then plucked the almost-invisible marker from the swordsman's collar. She laid the swordsman's body down on the bench, untying his sword and placing it in his hands.

One duty concluded, she resumed her travel up the road.

-

pre:
Name: Saki of Clan Yanagi
Concept
Cheerful ninja

Aiki	0
Kiai	0

Archetypes
Infiltrator (10)
Thief Yanagi Ninja (25)
Mercenary Field Agent (30)
Iron Brand (15)

Fate Cost	50	Kiai 
Attribute Cost	2	Karma 80

Fates
Emotion: Loyalty to Yanagi Clan 3
Other: Marked by failure 2

Vitality 11/11

Soul	 22/22

Wounds
Light [ ] [ ] [ ]
Heavy [ ] [ ]
Critical (+2/Vitality Decrease) [ ]
Dead (+3) [ ]

Body (3)
	Unarmed Combat	x
	Wormcharm	

Agility (8)
	Movement	xxx
	Melee Weap.	xxx
	Evasion		xxx
	Stealth		xxx
	Ninjutsu	xxx (School of Stone)
	Criminal Arts	xx

Senses (5)
	First Aid	x
	Notice		xxx
	Marksman	x
	Pursuit/Hunt	x
	Forgery		xx

Knowledge (3)
	Information	xxx
	Onmyojutsu	

Spirit (8)
	Willpower	xx
	Resonance	
	Interface	
	Buddhist Magic	

Empathy (6)
	Persuasion	x
	Pillow Arts	x
	Perform		

Station	(5)
	Strategy	
	Etiquette	xxx
	Shinto		
	Art of rule	

Ninjutsu - School of Stone
Path of Denial, Cunning Sparrow (Ninjutsu can replace Evasion, Stealth)

Iron Fist
Ointment, Soul 4, Difficulty 1
Lesser Art of Wind of Menace
	+3 to damage with unarmed, melee weapons, or ranged weapons depending on
user's strength.

Wind of Menace
Ointment, Soul 6, Difficulty 3
Greater art of Iron Fist

Same as Iron Fist, but +5 damage instead.

Shadow Form
Liquid medicine, Soul 5, Difficulty 2
Lessert art of Four-fold Shadow Form

Drink a potion. Change face and body. Lasts for a number of rounds equal to Spirit.

Smoke and Mist
Nothing, Soul 6, Difficulty 3

Create illusionary scene. Every round mist is in place, target must make Spirit: Willpower
roll vs Difficulty 2 to break free. Doesn't work on shikigami, activated samurai or
kugutsu. Can be used on multiple opponents with no difficulty increase, but Soul cost
increases by number of targets. Successes can be used to raise Willpower roll's difficulty
by 1 for each die spent for one round.

Weapons (Rating, ROF, Range, Ammo)
Ninja sword (Dam +3)
Throwing Knife (Dam +2, RoF 3, Range 10m, Lots)
Burning Scourge (Dam +5)
Class Otsu mechanica arm (Dam +5, Attr Penalty 2, Slots 2)

Possessions
Ninja tools
Thief tools
Kairen Fingers mod (+3 Ninjutsu rolls, disabled if Unarmed Combat is used until
next intermission)
Town clothes, business clothes

* Custom Archetype - Iron Brand
Skills
	Evasion	3 (15)
	Etiquette 3 (15)
Special Characteristics: Kijin
Equipment: Otsu Mechanica Arm, Burning Scourge, Kairen Fingers
Total Karma Cost: 15
Attribute cost 2
Fate: Other: Marked by failure

* Custom Archetype - Field Agent
Field Agent is the Mercenary Archetype with Marksman replaced with Notice.

Infiltrator Movement 2 is exchanged for Willpower

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Going to try and put something together when I have time, but I enjoy TBZ!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Got art, trying to decipher character creation.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Easiest way is to go back to the archetypes section and pick out some stuff that gives you the skills and equipment you're looking for. 80 to 90 is a good range for your final karma costs to end up at. You should end up with two fates on your sheet, one at rating 3 and one at rating 2, and then you'll be assigned a third one after the zero act. Any redundant skills can be subbed out for a non-specialist skill at equal rank, eg you have Marksman 3 twice, you could turn one of them into Persuasion 3, but not Ninjutsu 3.

If you wanted to go full Ace, you could pick Gunlancer and Armor Hunter and just rewrite your fates. It'd put you at 96 karma, so you'd want to burn a fate as soon as you could, but it'd be manageable and start you off with a good set of skills and equipment. You'd also have 38 attribute points to work with.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

e: What is time? A miserable little pile of secrets.

pre:
Name: Oseiko the Wanderer
Concept: A Kugutsu created to be the perfect Buddhist Priestess, fleeing her gilded prison to find meaning and real enlightenment.
Archetypes: Kugutsu, Fallen Monk, Fist of Merciful Kannon, Runaway Princess (modified Princess)
Attribute Cost: 0	Karma: 85

Attributes
BOD: 5     AGI: 4     SEN: 6     KNO: 4
SPI: 7     EMP: 8     STA: 6

Vitality: 12
Soul:     22
Wounds:
Light 	 OOOOO
Heavy 	 OOO
Critical  OO
Dead 	 O

Skills
Art of Rule: 	****
Art of War:	****
Buddhist Magic:	***
Etiquette:	***
Information:	**
Movement:	**
Notice:		**
Persuasion:	***
Pillow Arts:	***
Unarmed Combat:	***
Willpower:	**

Weapons
Unarmed (Empathy: Unarmed Weapons) - Damage +10

Fates
Goal: To be truly free	***
Goal: Revel in danger	**

Techniques/Magic
Healing Prayer
Spirit Burst
Soulgem Creation
Summon Spirit
Subdue Spirit
Meikyo Seal
Meikyo Cleansing
Exorcism
Binding Prayer of Acala
Palm of Wind
Thousand Hands
Palm of Kannon

RPZip fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 4, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

The rock bounced off the armour with a sharp ping, ushering in a moment of silence broken only by the buzzing of a lonely cicada. The armour turned, slowly, the rider within bellowing, "What?!"

Standing at the end of the dirt path was a woman, her long dark hair tied back with an old patterened scarf. Her breastplate was an outdated design, faded and chipped, but otherwise well cared for her. And across her shoulder she held a blade as big as she was.

"Armour hunter," the rider hissed. The scarred woman let go of the farmer's hair, letting him drop into the dirt road as she leaped back into her own armour.

Realizing they were no longer paying attention to him, fled on all fours into the inn, his head reappearing a moment later to join the innkeeper and her waitress in watching. Merchants and peasants stared out from behind trees around the crossroad, afraid but unable to look away.

The fearsome armour stepped forward, its ox like head lowered. "You dare? You dare interfere with armour riders teaching these foolish peasents some manners? You think that sword makes you better than us?"

The woman doesn't answer, simply takes the kiseru out of her mouth and tucks it into her belt.

"I'll tear you limb from limb!" the rider screams, and charges.

When it was over, the armour hunter walked over and sat on the bench in front of the inn. She wiped the blade clean, and reloaded it. A look at the ones looking at her from around the doorframe made them retreat out of view, but after a moment they peeked out again. The armour hunter reached over and tapped the sign advertising hot dumplings, tea, and sake.

The heads ducked back out of view, and a few moments later the waitress came out with tea. Dumplings soon followed, then a jug of sake.

As the armour hunter finished her tea, the innkeeper and some others tentatively approached her. "Are you... the woman they call Marumaru?"

The armour hunter sighed, and nodded, lighting her pipe. The peasents conversed with each other in low tones, and then the innkeeper bowed very low, her braid nearly brushing the dirt.

"We are very thankful for your help. But..." She shifted nervously. "Please, we mean no ill will..."

Marumaru stood up. The peasents quickly backed up a few steps, and watched as she tied the sake bottle to her belt. Then she hefted the massive blade onto her shoulder again.

The peasents hastily stepped back, then bowed as she stepped back out onto the road. Marumaru turned her back on them, and continued up the mountain path.

The waitress stepped forward, and called, "Thank you!" Marumaru raised her free hand without turning around, and kept walking.

-------------

Many years ago, there was a small kingdom nestled against the sea. Its ruler was incompetent in a largely harmless way, and it was small enough that no one had great wealth, so the people were mostly left to live their lives in peace.

Until the ministers of the neighboring kingdom decided it would be a pawn in their machinations against each other. Without warning, soldiers marched across the borders. The people of the kingdom chose to fight, despite their disadvantages. To everyone's shock, they turned back the enemy.

Until the armour came. Infuriated by the defiance of the small kingdom, the ministers set loose their full power upon it. Unable to afford their own armour to respond, the people of the small kingdom fought valiantly but hopelessly. In the end, the kingdom was destroyed, its people slaughtered, the earth itself left scorched and lifeless. The few survivors were scattered to the winds, and were soon forgotten.

Save one.

Having lost her home, her family, that one refused to surrender. When the next victim faced the indifferent malice of the greater realm, she swore her blade to defend them.

And so she watched another nation burn.

Again and again, she took up arms to defend the weak against the strong. Each time, her efforts were in vain. Soon none, perhaps not even her, could remember which had been the first.

It began to be whispered that she only served lost causes, that her arrival was herald that hope had fled. Some even went further, claiming that she was the cause, that she was cursed. They refused to speak her name, in case it would draw ill-luck onto themselves. So they called her Marumaru.

Now only the most desperate are willing to allow her to fight alongside them. So Marumaru's causes became smaller, and more hopeless. But she still refuses to admit defeat, still defies what fate has decreed. Still wanders the lands, trying with all her might to protect the weak from the strong. Because someone must.

Character Sheet posted:

Name: Marumaru
Concept: Wandering warrior who protects the weak, ill-luck champion of lost causes
Archetypes: Armour Hunter, Lordless Soldier, Mercenary, Hard Luck
Karma Cost: 78
Attribute Cost: 1

Vitality: 15
Soul: 21
Wounds: ☐☐☐☐ ☐☐☐ Light | ☐☐☐☐ Heavy | ☐☐ Critical | ☐ Dead

quote:

Body: 7

quote:

Unarmed Combat: 1

Agility: 8

quote:

Movement: 3
Melee Weapons: 4
Evasion: 1
Stealth: 2

Senses: 5

quote:

First Aid: 2
Notice: 3
Marksman: 3
Pursuit/Hunt: 3

Knowledge: 3

quote:

Information: 3

Spirit: 7

quote:

Willpower: 2

Empathy: 4

quote:

Persuasion: 1
Pillow Arts: 1

Station: 4

Weapons:
ZAKT-8R Ultimate Edge +6 DMG | RoF 8 | Ammo 8
Rifle +5 DMG | RoF 1 | Range 50m | Ammo 3
Broken sword +1 DMG

Possessions:
15 extra soulgems
Old scarf (momento)
Several torn banners (momento)
Kiseru
5 mon

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 3, 2015

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Going to give a few more days for folks who've been delayed, then make some picks.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Been pretty quiet, figure I should poke and see: what's up?

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

I was admittedly also curious! ...but too shy to ask.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
A bunch of real life junk has been hammering me unexpectedly and pushed the timing of this back a bit. As soon as I get that sorted I'll get started. Probably sometime on Sunday.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
This has been a tough choice!

A lot's been going on in my life, sorry about the delay. The picks for characters, in no particular order:

Comrade Gorbash, with Marumaru
RPZip with Oseiko
Leraika with Takatsukasa no Masaharu
Grassy Gnoll with Saki
Bahamut with Otsuru
Alien Rope Burn with Imube Otoha

Thanks everyone who applied, every one of you put out a good concept and it wasn't an easy selection.

First post will go up shortly.

Edit: For a certain value of shortly.

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 17, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

:yayclod:

Time to dust off that Emotion Matrix so I know how I feel about everyone and everything.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Excellent.

Should we know each other or do character impressions or anything?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
you'll all be meeting for the first time in the village. I'll see if I can't wrangle up a post over the next day or so.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I made a post.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Hey Bahumat, I dig that banner you made. Thinking of making one myself of a similar style.

I was wondering what gradient settings you used to get the transparency mask? Also, are the lines gradients themselves with a mask or just masked black lines? Also the usual question about font/typeface used.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Hey Bahumat, I dig that banner you made. Thinking of making one myself of a similar style.

I was wondering what gradient settings you used to get the transparency mask? Also, are the lines gradients themselves with a mask or just masked black lines? Also the usual question about font/typeface used.

In Photoshop CC, achieving transparent gradients is way easier than it was in previous incarnations. Starting on the desired layer, it's a simple matter of clicking on Layer -> Layer Mask -> From Transparency. Then using the gradient tool with a two color selection, it'll simply generate a transparent mask. In older versions, it was roughly similar in terms of using a layer mask, but it required more setup with layers and such.

In the case of the Otsuru nameplate, there were four different masks used. Over four layers (two for her face, and two for the lines), the image was divided down the middle into two parts. Then a transparency for her face on the left side, the lines on the left side, her face on the right side, and the lines on the right side. The transparency affecting her image is actually slightly narrower than that which affects the lines. I also kind of hosed up on the top left-hand line, where the mask from the right side transparency shows through.

As for the font, it's Kozuka Gothic Pr6N H, which I'm pretty sure is a stock Adobe font.

Hopefully this is helpful!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

That's really helpful, thanks!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

I see Alien Rope Burn conjured one up for Otoha as well! So here's some more for everyone else. The only downside is maybe the way I spelled things isn't the way people wanted? No one is obligated to use these, of couse, but they're there if you want them!

Oseiko was tricky to spell because I could find no contemporary examples to look at. I had come up with about six different ways, but this way seemed clearest/best.

There are oodles of different ways to spell Masaharu. This particular spelling was chosen because I got the impression it was more archaic, and Tenra is all about that sort of thing.

Gnoll, however, gets to choose. The top Saki is like 'bloom', and the bottom one is 'bit of land'. The top one is kind of more feminine than the other, but the second one has the dubious distinction of being the same Saki used in Oroku Saki: The Shredder. And he's a ninja, so it also seemed appropriate.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Saki should be girly as gently caress at all times, so I'm going with the top one. Editing into my first post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

bahamut posted:

I see Alien Rope Burn conjured one up for Otoha as well! So here's some more for everyone else. The only downside is maybe the way I spelled things isn't the way people wanted? No one is obligated to use these, of couse, but they're there if you want them!

Oseiko was tricky to spell because I could find no contemporary examples to look at. I had come up with about six different ways, but this way seemed clearest/best.

There are oodles of different ways to spell Masaharu. This particular spelling was chosen because I got the impression it was more archaic, and Tenra is all about that sort of thing.

Gnoll, however, gets to choose. The top Saki is like 'bloom', and the bottom one is 'bit of land'. The top one is kind of more feminine than the other, but the second one has the dubious distinction of being the same Saki used in Oroku Saki: The Shredder. And he's a ninja, so it also seemed appropriate.

You're a wonderful person.

I have no idea if it's actually a proper name, but it was in the random name table from the TBZ book so I assumed it was. Thanks, going to go edit this into my post right now.

• Locked thread