Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Somewhere in the lands of the south of Tenra's eastern continent, in wild territory not officially claimed by any daimyo, though it is near to one or two, a small village has risen on a lake in the midst of a forest. It has been there for many years, but has recently drawn attention from several sources under the new leadership of a mysterious woman calling herself Lady Akemi, who has turned it from a tiny, sleepy village into a secure, growing town, and rumor has it that something very valuable has been discovered there. It's a place where many travelers have begun to arrive, brought there for many reasons - some in search of a new home free of the demands of the feudal lords, others in search of fortune and whatever treasures are to be found, others still as agents of powers who seek to take control over the village for their own masters.

The wooden stockades that protect the town look fresh as each of you arrives individually, but the gate is open and aside from a few men and women in livery that indicates that they belong to the town's militia who stop you to ask your name and a few cursory questions about your business (recorded dutifully by a young woman in the garb of a scribe) you draw little attention from the locals. In fact, you stand out quite a bit as newcomers, and each of you notices the others in the crowd. The town guards - assuming your answers to their questions did not involve an immediate threat to the security of the village - advised you boredly that while carrying weapons is not prohibited, acts of violence would be frowned on, and waved you through, mentioning as well that a common house for newcomers lies off the town square...

Why have you come here? What have you heard? And what will your first move be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Otoha travels light. After all, the priesthood are treated as guests nearly everywhere in Tenra, though there are always notable exceptions.

Pay homage to the unseen.

Instead, her lips curl into a frown as she's asked her business, and produces her very valuable pass, holding it high. "My business is to see to the needs of the people of Tenra.", she adds with a dry tone and a slight sigh at having to bring up what at least seems to her to be painfully obvious. Or at least painful to point out. "If you can direct me to the local shrine...?", she says, as if concerned he might not be able to manage such a thing.

Seek what others seek.

As she walks through the town, her eyes focus on the businesses she passes and the other recently-arrived wanderers. If people are seeking their fortune, they prepare for that sort of thing. Seeing how people have prepared - or what preparations are being sold - might provide some clues. Though information-gathering did not stir her heart to action, it was an explicit part of her instructions, and she would at least follow it to the letter. The ability for the priesthood to go anywhere also resulted in its sticking its nose in everywhere, and though such knowledge was important to guiding Tenra's future, it made her feel less like a priest and more like a pest.

Find the center and read its heart.

Akemi. There were rumors, that she was some sort of kijin or kugutsu, or the very least not fully human. It was not something that troubled Otoha overtly, but she was instructed to get to the truth of that matter. The instructions of the court seen through the mirror were often vague, trusting in the understanding of the recipient. But first, she was to go to the shrine and communicate her arrival to the court, and perform her devotions. Then, she could make a pest of herself, to either find what troubles she could resolve... or report.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 22, 2015

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

This place was bigger than she had been led to believe, but the bigger places did tend to afford one in her position a higher degree of safety. Unfortunately, when she was inevitably exposed, it also meant a much greater chance of being misunderstood, or even hated. Through no fault of her own, even! As her thoughts once again started down this unpleasant train of reasoning, she could feel her tail beginning to bristle. It was hidden, of course. But keeping it that way was uncomfortable. Having a tail was so inconvenient! Living among humans would be much easier without one! But it would be even easier if all humans had tails like she did.

This last thought she found particularly amusing, and a small smile that helped to defuse her discomfort crept across her face. It was well-timed, as a moment later she fell under the brief scrutiny of the town's guard. Very brief. In contrast to a number of other people who sought to gain entry, the diminutive Otsuru sported no such open weaponry, only the well-used shamisen that she used to ply her trade in the human world. Then again, some of the most dangerous people she'd ever encountered hadn't sported weaponry; even the half-Ayakashi herself was far from defenseless. But danger seemed far from everyone's mind here for the time being, and Otsuru was totally okay with that.

The guard with whom she spoke was a woman who towered over her, and for a moment Otsuru had to hold onto the wide brim of her hat when she looked up, inwardly fretting that if it were to fall off everyone would see her ears were very different from theirs. The exchange was actually pleasant, if not outright cheerful, and the violet-haired girl suddenly found herself urgently resisting the desire to wag that troublesome tail of hers to show exactly how happy she was. Granted entry, she passed through the gate.

Opportunity was the thing on the lips of everyone around here, although the specifics towards that end seemed rather vague. People talked about this Lady Akemi, and about valuable things to be found. But when it came down to it, money was a good bet. Normal humans liked money! It shined and clinked, and did have a strange sort of appeal to it that Otsuru the Fox couldn't quite explain. Perhaps it was by virtue of her partially-human nature? She really hoped this was the case, like it somehow proved her more-humanness. You had to spend money to make money, though. An adage she had learned in her travels that seemed to hold true. Securing a good place to stay and to play, the inn the guard had mentioned was probably her best bet, was of paramount concern.

bahamut fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 21, 2015

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Oseiko dips her head in thanks to the guard, passing on into the town as she surreptitiously brought the brim of her hat lower to hide her face. She'd been in far larger and grander places than this, of course; palaces that would swallow up this village with barely a gulp, decorated with intricately gilded designs. No, what was bothering here was the presence of so many strangers. She'd spent much of her life sequestered among a small group, training in controlled circumstances for the purpose she had been created for. After she'd escaped, it hadn't been so bad, meeting small groups on the road or in tiny towns. But this was a real village, and she was feeling vulnerable at the perceived attention.

Well, nothing for it but to hold my head up high. Not too high, of course, and not too low, or - oh, drat. She was regretting coming here already, but the signs had been clear, and she'd have to start learning how to deal with it somehow. It might as well be now. Oseiko put on a practiced smile, raising her head slightly but not too much, and started heading for the common house the guards had indicated.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 26, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Nothing about Marumaru's entrance into the town is surreptitious. Armour hunters surrender subtlety the moment they pick up their weapons. So she comes openly, her Ultimate Edge across her shoulder, one arm looped through the guard, balancing the heavy weapon with practiced ease.

She listens patiently to the guard explaining the town's rules, ignoring the four other militia members who 'just happened' to wander over. Patiently explains that her business is simply to find some employment so she can afford to eat. Patiently waits while the woman calls over her superior. While the two confer, Marumaru gazes over their heads into the town - easy enough, given the disparity in height. It seems the sort of place where she might find someone in need of her services. Or at least of a strong back not afraid of hard work.

Eventually the guards decide to let her in. Marumaru steps inside the stockade, and checks her purse. Just enough for a meal, and maybe a place in the stables. She sighs, and makes her way to the common house.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Saki is entirely forthcoming with the guards and the record keeper: she's here on family business, they're looking to acquire some land around these parts and she's to get a feel for the location. She shows them her belongings, minimal as they are, without fuss. It's not her problem if they don't know a poisoned needle when they see one.

The girl makes her way to the town square, where she rests for a while and takes in the scenery. She closes her eyes and smiles faintly to herself, snooping on the conversations around her.

Information 3, Knowledge 3. 1 success. Just in case that simplifies anything.

grassy gnoll fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 23, 2015

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Why was Takatsukasa no Masaharu, noble and prodigy of the Cloudy Satchel Atelier, the sort of person who carried the hopes and dreams of his entire family on his shoulders, currently stumbling into some backwater town in the middle of nowhere?

Well, to be frank... he'd gotten lost. And he was tired. And he couldn't remember the last time he'd slept somewhere more palatial then a hastily constructed lean-to. Not that the guardians of the town needed to know anything about that, of course - all they needed to know was that he was a wandering artist, scholar, and herbalist, traveling the lands pursuing a vision. Perhaps he would find that vision someday, right? And perhaps he would have no need to, considering that a regular vision of loveliness just so happened to keep watch over the town - perhaps they could take some time to get better acquainted after he'd found lodging?

Well, at least he'd gotten in, though his ego smarted a little bit at the completely bewildered look the record keeper had given him. If only she'd known who he was, she'd have been throwing herself at his feet, more than likely. Still, that would have defeated the purpose of traveling incognito, wouldn't it? The hunt for the crow-beast was not something he wanted to become any more public than it already was, and if his name - his family's name were to become publicly attached to it... Well. He could handle a little bit of rejection to keep that from happening. And besides, she'd said something very interesting, hadn't she?

"I'm so terribly sorry that I must pass on the opportunity to learn more about such a handsome and dashing young man, but I've been so busy lately! There's been quite a few visitors today."

Well, she'd said something like that, in any case. The details weren't of much concern to him, anyway. Masaharu shrugged, then readjusted his traveling pack, glancing around as he wandered into the town proper. Vistors... visitors.... It certainly was a strange coincidence, wasn't it? It had to be. Surely no more than three or four people a week passed through here normally? It was so hard to tell, with tiny outposts like this. But that was fine, that just meant it would be very easy to explore the entire thing after he'd had a chance to let the travails of the road pass from him.

That was, however, a very strong 'after'.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I am super sorry that this hasn't had a post - a bunch of real-life urgent business came up, like planning to attend a wedding in another country as best man on short notice, and I've been dizzyingly busy. Update will come next week and I will make every effort not to be as slow following.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The conversation of the villagers is easily overheard and there seem to be three major topics. The first and most common topic of discussion is that there seems to be a nearby settlement of Oni, protected by a powerful Ayakashi, and the villagers are divided on whether the Ayakashi intends to destroy them, whether Lady Akemi plans to treat with the Oni, or whether the Lady Akemi is developing a method to destroy the Ayakashi guardian and remove the danger to her village. The second topic of conversation is the recent influx of strangers to the town, to be welcomed at Lady Akemi's decree. Theories as to why she would throw open the gates to the town to any who happen along range from the mundane to the improbable and everything in between. The final topic, least common by far, is the fear that the nearest Daimyo, Lord Asanobashi, will lay claim to the village by force.

The majority of you can see one another now, entering the square. Otoha, it is to your shock and chagrin that you discover the shrine to be in such a state of disrepair that it ceases to function entirely about halfway through your report in. You're pretty sure you can get it working again, but you're not sure if it's through disuse or intentional sabotage that the shrine has been put itno such a state.

The common house is a fairly large one, considering the size of the village itself - one that has been used to allow newcomers to the village a place to stay until such time as they can build or arrange for somewhere more permanent to reside. The important thing is that it is warm, it is dry, and the food smells quite appealing.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

All this talk about a nearby Ayakashi and the uncertainty surrounding it's intentions drive home just how important it is to Otsuru that she keep her own nature concealed. The politics of the region more or less remained a non-factor as far as the fox henge was concerned, at least for now. Her primary concern was securing a decent place in the common house, a room to herself where maybe she didn't have to sleep with her ears and tail cramped up and hidden. Even among the other varied, even exotic, faces she'd seen here, she couldn't risk standing out. At least not in that way.

If she could secure a room, Otsuru hoped she'd also be able to offset the additional expenses of having such a luxury by being able to perform in the house. If things went well, the half-Ayakashi hoped to turn a respectable profit before she was forced to move on from this place. After a few quick and polite (if somewhat informal) inquiries, she made a bee-line towards the individual she'd been led to believe was the proprietor to make arrangements.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The proprietor of the common house is a young woman of quite round proportions, with a cheery smile and rosy cheeks from bustling about in the kitchen and the common room. Room here is quite affordable, it turns out, and if Otsuru is willing to wait in the common room, dinner will be served soon, and (the young woman leans over conspiratorily) is going to be delicious. "Why, when I came here I was as skinny as you!" she laughs brightly. "My husband has me taste-test everything we serve, though!"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Saki slides on into the common house, possibly the pinkest and most floral thing in the room. She scans the room, looking for a likely mark, and finds one.

"You look like you've got something on your mind," she says to the tall woman with the giant sword. "Trade you a meal for your story?"

Saki radiates innocence and charm, and also some kind of nectar-y perfume.

Am I rolling my EM for Marumaru, or are you handling that, ZSR?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Roll your own EM please :)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Dark dreams. I'll put that into our interaction once I've had the chance to sleep.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Nostalgia on Marumaru's side. I'll post something tomorrow as well.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru looks down at the smaller woman, who looks strangely familiar. Not her appearance... no, the perfume. It smelled like home, like the flowers that used to grow along the roads in that lost kingdom. The smell of them was stronger even than that of gun-oil and sweat and the thousand other smells of an army on the march, cutting even though the dust and heat. The last time she'd smelled them...

With an effort, Marumaru shakes herself out of the reverie. "You give me too much credit, but to be honest I am in no position to turn down your offer. I hope my company ends up being worth it."

She bows. "I am called Marumaru."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"... and we will see if the lord rolls out the mat for the faithful-", Otoha thinks, before she sees her message curl up and start to snarl unpleasantly, and there's a moment as she snaps back to reality. She pauses, and opens her eyes with a frown. Rising, she inspects the pillars, feeling a chip and a crack, and follows it up to the arch with a sigh. Then, she's marching back into the village proper like a warrior ready to pick a fight, and then approaches the common house.

Slamming the door open, she stares for a moment, and then gathers herself before speaking. "I require volunteers to assist with the repair of the shrine!", she states bluntly, as if issuing a challenge to those present. "I don't know how it came to be in its present state, but as long as it is restored, I do not particularly care."

Going to give an aiki to Saki to getting the first ball rolling!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Saki
Aiki: 1 - Kiai: 0

"Saki." The girl looks up briefly at the noisy priest. Just another in a long line of bossy Shintoists.

She turns back to Marumaru. "I'm sure it will. Everybody's got a story, y'know?"

Saki stretches out a metal hand to grab at the water jug on the table. The workmanship on it is fairly fine, especially around the finger joints.

"It's nicer if it's a happy story, though."

Rolled EM for Otoha, got Nostalgia.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Very few of my stories have happy endings," Marumaru sighs.

She looks up at the priestess as well, and bows slightly. "I would be happy to help, but I have been on the road a long time. I need to eat first or I'll be of no use to anyone." As if to back up her words, Marumaru's stomach growls, to her embarrassment.

"Perhaps you would like to join us? As soon as I'm finished I can lend a hand."

I got Soulmate for Otoha. Tbh I'm not quite sure what to do with that yet.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

For some reason, Otsuru finds the proprietor's cheerful disposition infectious, and for a time she's able to forget the danger she's put herself in and manages to feel somewhat human. Or at least what she assumes being human feels like. With the question of boarding more or less settled, the half-Ayakashi happily accepts the young woman's offer of impending food. The little Henge managed to find a nice out-of-the-way place to sit, and passed the time shyly observing some of the more noteworthy patrons.

Foremost was the giant woman, whose name Otsuru's keen ears had heard as being Marumaru when she introduced herself to the somewhat outgoing and brightly colored girl. She was almost certainly a warrior of some kind, and although Otsuru had good cause to be wary of noteworthy warrior-types, this one didn't instill her with uneasiness or dread. On the contrary, there was something about her that just seemed, well, trustworthy. That somehow being near her made the fox-eared girl actually feel safe.

Otsuru didn't quite feel the same way about the smaller woman with whom Marumaru was speaking, however. Although she seemed pleasant enough, it was difficult to shake off the idea that she was only behaving this way because it was convenient for her. The fox girl had an ominous analogy: that the wind could change direction easily and suddenly.

Further thought along that line was chased from her head when, from the looks of her, a Shinto priest burst in. Otsuru had encountered a few priests in her travels so far, and in spite of none of them causing her any particular trouble it had seemed that they were more concerned with the organization of their religion than it's beliefs. Based on this latest one's boisterous declaration about a shrine needing repair, she was going to be no different. It was a shame, too. She could have been interesting. But now, instead, she'd have to watch out for her.

EM roll for Saki - Chaos!
EM roll for Marumaru - Soul Mate!
EM roll for Otoha - Worthy Rival!

bahamut fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 26, 2015

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Masaharu, being in the sort of state which engendered taking his sweet time even for things as simple as finding the common house, arrived just in time to see a blonde-haired girl slam the door open and march in like some sort of invading warrior. Interesting, interesting. Seemed like he'd just arrived and the, ah, fun, for lack of a better term, had almost begun without him. That would have been simply dreadful.

After the girl issued her demand, he took that moment to step in as well, bowing deeply to her (and just barely managing to keep from clonking anyone with his luggage), "My good lady," he began, glancing around the room to gauge the rest of the room even as he spoke, "It would be, of course, unthinkable for anyone with a conscience to refuse to help a lady in need. I would be more than happy to-"

His voice trailed off as his gaze settled on someone sitting apart from the rest, and he paused for a moment before shaking his head, continuing as if nothing had ever happened.

"-I would be more than happy to assist, of course. While I am merely a humble traveler, if there is anything I can do, I am at your disposal." He couldn't care less about the shrine, of course, but everything was means to an end - a Shinto priestess would be exactly the sort of person who would know about any... disturbances in the area, and, of course, having one indebted to oneself was always useful. It would be a fair trade for half a day of sweeping or polishing or whatever it was she needed done.

EM roll (Otsuru) - Killing Intent! That's...gonna be interesting.
EM roll (Marumaru) - Goodwill
EM roll (Otoha) - Strange Interest
EM roll (Saki) - Desire. ALSO INTERESTING

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Saki

Saki does an admirable job of keeping her expression locked down as the fop tries to hit on the Shintoist.

EM Otsuru: Master
EM Masaharu: Rival.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Looking Marumaru over, Otoha hmphs for a moment, squinting as if slightly cautious. And then kneels down. "I suppose I could use a meal before we start." She looks up to Masaharu, and tilts her head. "Well, then, take your time and get your bags in, and we'll be started on that shortly. Thank you." Her eyes settle on Marumaru's weapon for a long moment before she notices Saki, and actually offers a polite smile for a moment, though it's gone a second later like the passing of clouds.

pre:
Character	Matrix Result For...	Matrix Result From...

Saki		Goodwill		Nostalgia
Marumaru	Dark Dreams		Soulmate
Otsuru		They Hate You		Worthy Rival
Masaharu	Unsettled Mind		Strange Interest

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru keeps a close eye on the vagabond, and catches herself when her hand starts drifting towards her blade. She pulls it back deliberately. Something about the man makes her ill at ease. He's dangerous - not as a warrior, but something else. Masaharu's interest in the priestess doesn't help. Otoha seems like the kind of person who Marumaru can trust, who she should protect. She'll have to keep a close eye on this one.

Deliberately taking a drink while Otoha takes a seat, the warrior takes a look around the room, in case there are other threats, and spots another patron. A young woman, apparently shy, the sort of innocent Marumaru'd expected to find in this out of the way village. She gives the girl a nod, and glances towards the empty place next to her at the table, an open invitation to join them.

"I'm afraid I've not much skill in carpentry or masonry," Marumaru says to Otoha. "My talents lie in... other areas. Which is probably why so few of my stories have happy endings." She gets a faraway look in her eyes for a moment. "There's little enough to tell. I was born in a small kingdom, far from here, in a valley by the sea. A poor, simple land. The ministers of our neighbor became jealous of our lands, and concocted an incident to justify absorbing my home. They did not expect us to fight, and they truly did not expect us to win. But we did - at least against the first force. The second, they sent armour." Marumaru pats her weapon. "That's when I learned to use this. Our kingdom was too poor to field armour of our own, so we made do with what we had."

"It wasn't enough."

She stops and takes another drink. "Most of my comrades died in the fighting, but I and a handful of others escaped. We swore service to another lord, who lived high in the mountains. We knew that the ministers who had destroyed our home would turn their covetous gaze to that place soon enough. When they came, we fought. And were defeated."

"So it was for a long time. At first we sought to protect others against those who had destroyed us - or perhaps we wanted vengeance. I don't remember anymore. But we could not win, could not hope to win, and as more of us fell in battle or gave up the cause, we came to serve any desperate cause. Before long only those with no other hope would accept us. Eventually, I was the only one left, with no place to call my own."

Marumaru shrugs. "My cause is still the same. To fight those who think that for no other reason than that they are strong, they have the right to oppress the weak. It's just on a much smaller scale these days."

She finishes her cup, and fills it again from the jug. "And you, Saki? What brings you to this village?"

pre:
Character	For...			From...
Saki		Nostalgia		Dark Dreams
Otoha		Soulmate		Dark Dreams
Otsuru		Purity/Innocence	Soulmate
Masaharu	Killing Intent		Good Will

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Saki

"Oh," Saki says. She reaches out and touches Marumaru's shoulder with her metal hand. "I am so sorry."

"I'm just here on family business, you know? Getting the lay of the land, seeing as we might be doing business here sometime."

She lightly claps her hands and brushes them together, an awkward smile on her face.

"I don't suppose someone knows a good joke or something...?"

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

The one who found his way here in the shadow of the noisy priestess, then practically fell over to ingratiate himself to her, was somewhat concerning. He glanced this way, his eyes meeting hers before he glanced away as though nothing had happened. Could he tell? Did he know what she was simply by glancing at her? She'd have to watch out for him, out of all of these personalities that were assembling, his was the most troubling.

Then, Marumaru notices her and suddenly Otsuru's heart unexpectedly leaps. Still, the half-Ayakashi was left to question the giant warrior's newfound companions, which still made the small performer a little apprehensive. Then again, she mused, Marumaru was also pretty big, and Otsuru had observed in her time as a fox in the wilderness that being bigger did tend to make one safe and confident. It was no guarantee, of course, but it certainly helped with the odds. She was overthinking this.

"I slept like a log last night," Otsuru uses the remark as her introduction, migrating to Marumaru's offered seat. She adopts a confused expression, as she follows through, "woke up in a fire pit."

pre:
Character:     For:           From:
 Marumaru       Soul Mate      Purity/Innocence
 Masaharu       Fear           Killing Intent
 Otoha          Worthy Rival   They Hate You
 Saki           Chaos          Master

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Saki

"I said a good joke," Saki says, smiling.

"I, ah, didn't know the Priesthood was out this far," she says to Otoha. "It's kind of indelicate, but which court are you from?"

Aiki for Otsuru for a bad joke.

pre:
EM		To		From

Otoha		Nostalgia	Goodwill	
Otsuru		Master		Chaos		
Marumaru	Dark Dreams	Nostalgia	
Masaharu	Rival		Desire

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Staring at Marumaru, Otoha manages several blinks before looking to one of the servers. "Ah, kushikatsu and edamame. No chicken.", she says with her hands politely clasped, and then looks back to the warrior. "Well, I know it's not proper to say to a warrior, but I hope you have no need to pick up your sword again."

As Otsuru sits down, the priest shifts away slightly, before giving Saki a quiet stare as well. "We journey everywhere we might be needed.", she replies airily, and then smiles. "A new age of openness, a world without masks... well, for some of us, so far." She picks up a cup and takes a sip. "The Northern Court."

An Aiki to Marumaru for the speechifying.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Saki

Saki nods sagely at the revelation of this portentous knowledge. "Ahh, I see, I see."

She looks at the priest for a few moments, eyes entirely clear of guile or sarcasm. "Is that good?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
As our fine group settles in and gets to know each other, a commotion begins to sound from outside. Right now, it's a low bustle, as of a crowd gathering to listen to a speaker with raised voice. From inside the public house it's hard to hear what the speaker is saying, just that the young woman is speaking with some degree of passion.

I'm going to give an aiki to EVERYONE, for being patient with me.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

"Ah. It would seem as if you are not the only one who seeks to rally the masses, Madam Northern-Court." Though he certainly wasn't invited, Masaharu doesn't really see anything wrong with settling in, leaning his traveling chest against the table with a very solid 'thunk' and positioning himself so that he could face the people he was speaking to with his good eye. "I wonder what her desire is? Hopefully not to expel all the travelers from the village." He looks decidedly unworried, however, as he stretches, turning his gaze briefly to the door before focusing back on Marumaru. "You have traveled long and far, then, miss. May you find some peace here, even if it is for but a moment's time."

He paused. "Speaking of travelers - what is this place, exactly? I ended up here by happenstance more than anything else - one place is the same as another to one such as I. And yet, I find any place troubled enough to have guards but peaceful enough for them to care little for their job to be, shall we say, very interesting."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Now it's time for Saki to get that noncomprehending stare, and then Otoha replies, "Of course! A visit from the Court brightens any village!... or at least any visit I make." She trails off, looking over at the sound of shouting, before shaking her head and turning to Masaharu. "Hm? I don't exactly need 'the masses', just a few helping hands. The last thing the shrine needs is a crowd trampling all over it." She finishes off her small cup, and wrinkles her nose as she looks to the din filtering in from outside.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Otsuru tenses as Masaharu's pack hits the floor. She does her best to maintain her composure as he finds a seat, as if things weren't stressful enough already in her current company. Happenstance, he professed. The same story she'd ply if she were bold enough to speak up, and just as it was with her, there was probably a story behind his happenstance as well. With most of them at the table, in truth. Only Otoha spoke as though she had actual purpose, elaborating on the tenets of her creed. Actual humans, she'd discovered in her travels, had this weird propensity to organize and structure their beliefs. So much so that they'd even fight each other over it. The half-Ayakashi couldn't even tell the difference between the Courts.

The mounting noise outside was becoming a distraction. Hidden underneath her wide-brimmed hat, Otsuru's fox-like ears weren't nearly as effective as they might otherwise be. Looking across to Saki, then up to Marumaru, the purple-haired girl cheerfully remarked as she rose from her seat, "inquiring minds want to know."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru puts a hand on the hilt of her blade as the noise from outside reaches her. She looks to the door, only half-listening to the conversation at best. Experience tells her that this sort of thing generally usually precedes violence. Part of her wonders if she might really be cursed.

She snaps back to the conversation when Otsuru comes over. "I'm sorry - want to know what?" Marumaru glances to the door again. "I think I might see what's going on outside."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Closing her eyes and lifting her chin, Otoha asserts huffily, "I am not having some loudmouth ruin a perfectly fine lunch." Opening her eyes, she looks to the side. "... though I guess it wouldn't hurt to have somebody have a look and report back."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Outside, a young woman is exhorting a small crowd. "And what other reason would there be for allowing so many armed strangers into town, sight unseen? She risks our very security in the hopes that she can bring enough of an armed force together to make a claim for this land -- do you want to serve a daimyo we cannot trust to tell us the truth?!"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Saki

Saki ambles outside with the rest of the inn-goers.

Once the speaker finishes, Saki pipes up. "Hi there! I'm a stranger, and I have no idea what you're talking about?" She waves at the rest of the strangers by her side, both armed and not. "I don't suppose you could clue us in?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"Why, I'm talking about the way that Lady Akemi - who all agree has helped make this village grow - is acting in a manner most suspicious! The land this village is on rightly falls in the territory of Lord Asanobashi, and by all accounts he is a kind and generous lord. It's all well and good for Lady Akemi to be so protective of her achievements here but I for one am not fooled - her ambitions to become the daimyo of her own province will lead us to war, and that is why she is allowing so many strangers into town, armed and dangerous strangers as well!"

There's a few mutters of agreement, but as many calls of disdain and jeers from the crowd, as well, mostly drowning out the woman's supporters.
"What about the Ayakashi in the woods? Lord Asanobashi didn't work this land because he was too frightened of them, but Lady Akemi isn't cowardly - but she knows we need warriors to help fight them off!"
"That's not right - it's a ninja village that's nearby, and they're coming to wipe us out for settling too close!"
"Don't be stupid, the ninja would just move! It's the ONI who are the real threat!"

The young woman seems to have lost her audience, but raises her arms and pleads with them to listen.

What do you do?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Saki

"Gosh, that does sound serious," Saki says. "Have any of you asked Lady Akemi what she's doing?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

After a moment, Otoha emerges with her kabob'd vegetables - kushikatsu - and takes a bite as she walks though the crowd, tugging off each piece. By the time she makes her way to the woman, she just tosses aside an empty wooden skewer. Hungry priest.

"Haru-san! There you are.", she says loudly, and beams in a way those who have watched her sour mood so far might find somewhat startling and most likely false. "Apologies.", she says to the crowd. "She's very drunk." Going to throw her arm around the woman in an entirely-too-familiar fashion, she seems as if she might be helping her with her balance.

As she gets close, she lowers her voice to nearly a whisper as she speaks to the speaker. "Play along, and walk with me before you get yourself executed, please?", she continues with that broad smile. "Maybe I can help."

• Locked thread