Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I've had The Babadook on my watchlist for a couple of years now. Is it any good? I think I wrote it on there after seeing a trailer a while back and I'm tempted to watch it next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

It's not bad, I think I liked it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

former glory posted:

I've had The Babadook on my watchlist for a couple of years now. Is it any good? I think I wrote it on there after seeing a trailer a while back and I'm tempted to watch it next.

it's worth a watch, for sure- the tension in the build-up is excellent/really uncomfortable and i dig the set design- but i didn't understand the rabid praise it received.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Transmogrifier posted:

It actually appears to be on US Netflix right now. :v:

Neither of these movies take place during Halloween but:

Really? I have been looking to stream it off and on for years. Probably because it is getting remade soon, I guess. Oh well, now I have the DVD. I guess it is a reason to power up the ps3 occasionally. if any of you guys haven't seen Candyman, you really, really need to.

A Fancy Hat posted:

This weekend I watched The Haunting. A lot of people have seen the new Netflix series, and if you enjoyed that at all, you need to watch the original movie. I loved the series until the last episode or so. Without going into it too much, I think the show explains way too much about the house at the end and it instantly loses any sort of scariness since it's just a house full of human ghosts, like a flapper ghost that's basically one step away from going "awww shucks, i'm a spooky ghost now? well 23 skiddo", not a sick and wrong house that itself is the entity .

The show does explain a lot, but it is still scary as gently caress.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 7, 2019

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

The Dregs posted:

Really? I have been looking to stream it off and on for years. Probably because it is getting remade soon, I guess. Oh well, now I have the DVD. I guess it is a reason to power up the ps3 occasionally. if any of you guys haven't seen Candyman, you really, really need to.

Yep! Saw it on there yesterday. I think it just went up this month.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

John F Bennett posted:

Yes, Unfriended was the one! It seems dumb because it's nothing but social media feeds, that's actually the entire movie. If you can get past that weirdness it kinda becomes compelling and even scary. I enjoyed it.

I didn't know that was a thing? I thought it was the only movie that did this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_screen_film
Searching is really good

I didn't finish Unfriended because one of the first things that happens is, two of the characters are getting naked for each other on skype, and then like 4 other people suddenly join the call, and oh gosh they're so surprised and they have to scramble to get their clothes on~
and I was like ":confused: that's not how skype works...... hello movie that is not how skype works!!! are they even going to acknowledge this? hey! 2/3 of you just dropped in on the other 1/3's private skype call, that's not a thing that can happen! you should at least be confused! hey! boo!! booooooo!!!!"

also every time she looks at another window, all the other characters stop talking, even though the skype call is still open. it's like they're just waiting until the script says they have something to do

I know these are minor details and I'm dumb for getting hung up on them, it just took me out of the movie

Transmogrifier posted:

Then there's the first Feast film, which actually has Jason Mewes in a small role. At a bar in the middle of nowhere, the patrons are assaulted by a number of creatures intent on eating them. It can be graphic, but it has some good humor mixed in. It's one of the few horror films that actually made me a little physically ill on watching. I haven't seen the sequels at all so I can't vouch for them.

the sequels have some decent bits but on the whole are a lot dumber and edge into Troma territory

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Waxwork was a fun shlocky 80s horror film that's free on prime, and had an even better (though even more comedic) sequel, which unfortunately is not free. I haven't seen II in years but I remember Bruce Campbell had an amazing role as the poor sap who just keeps getting mutilated but won't die.
It's your typical though slightly more aware 'obnoxious rich teens get murdered in a haunted wax museum' with the added layer of dimenson hopping into the exhibits
I rewatched it and just noticed they used the same location as AHS's doomhouse for the exterior shots of the waxworks.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 8, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Last night was Predators and AvP. I don't know why, they're on my USB drive plugged into my TV and they aren't really horror movies as much as action movies. I showed my friend Event Horizon two days ago and he liked it. I forgot how scary that movie is.

The Dregs posted:

If any of you guys haven't seen Candyman, you really, really need to.

We were looking at watching that too but I figured he wouldn't be too into it. I saw it once on the SA Scream Stream a few years ago and it was great. I'll have to watch that maybe tonight.

btw, Scream Stream 7 is going on for the month of October. Every Fri, Sat, and Sun at 7:30pm central. This year is international films and wooh boy, it's been a wild ride so far.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

former glory posted:

I liked it quite a lot. Great build up of tension.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Transmogrifier posted:

Then there's the first Feast film, which actually has Jason Mewes in a small role. At a bar in the middle of nowhere, the patrons are assaulted by a number of creatures intent on eating them. It can be graphic, but it has some good humor mixed in. It's one of the few horror films that actually made me a little physically ill on watching. I haven't seen the sequels at all so I can't vouch for them.

Just remembered an alien abduction one I saw on Netflix a few years ago: Altered Four friends return to the woods where they were abducted and experimented on fifteen years prior, intent on getting revenge for the death of their fifth friend at the aliens' hands.

Feast was the result of season 3 of Project Greenlight, after it had moved to Bravo. Sequels were OK. I believe they were filmed back to back so it's basically a part I and part II.

Altered was good, made by one of the Blair Witch guys (Eduardo Sánchez).

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

former glory posted:

It's good, in the sense of it not being "just another monster movie" as it has some pretty good allegory going on that makes you actually think about what you're seeing.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My wife and I continued our spooky movie fest with a bit of a different selection - Cartoon Network's miniseries Over the Garden Wall.

First things first, go watch this if you haven't seen it already. It's amazing.

The series follows two half-brothers, Wirt and Greg, who are lost in a supernatural forest. They encounter a mysterious woodsman who tells them about The Beast, a creature that lurks in the woods and feeds upon any children who get lost there. Each episode is a little mini-adventure, but they all link together into one big story. The boys encounter a talking bluebird who promises to take them to Adelaide, a magic woman who can help them find their way home, and the bulk of the series is them heading towards Adelaide and their various little quests to reach her.

About halfway through, things take a turn. You discover that Wirt and Greg are modern day kids, not citizens of this weird magical world and The Beast starts to take a more active role in the story.

To me, it's perfect fall viewing. A little creepy, a little funny ,and a little heartwarming. Especially the second episode. The kids enter a beautiful little village full of pumpkins and corn, only to discover that all the members of the village are made out of pumpkins and cornhusks. I will not say any more, but this episode really strikes the perfect balance of sinister, funny, and beautiful.

It also helps that the art style is pitch perfect for this and the voice acting is great. Christopher Lloyd is probably the standout to me as he plays the Woodsman, but you've also got John Cleese, Tim loving Curry in one of his creepiest roles ever, and Elijah Wood as Wirt.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Cubone posted:

the sequels have some decent bits but on the whole are a lot dumber and edge into Troma territory
Yeah, even just reading the synopsis for them on Wikipedia gave me that impression but a part of me wants to see them just so I can say I watched them all.

Telebite posted:

Feast was the result of season 3 of Project Greenlight, after it had moved to Bravo. Sequels were OK. I believe they were filmed back to back so it's basically a part I and part II.

Altered was good, made by one of the Blair Witch guys (Eduardo Sánchez).

I think one of the things I remember really liking about Altered was just the sheer brutality of the aliens themselves. It was not what I was expecting based on the brief synopsis Netflix provided. And yeah, it was made by one of the Blair Witch guys but it is not a found footage film.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Cubone posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_screen_film
Searching is really good

I didn't finish Unfriended because one of the first things that happens is, two of the characters are getting naked for each other on skype, and then like 4 other people suddenly join the call, and oh gosh they're so surprised and they have to scramble to get their clothes on~
and I was like ":confused: that's not how skype works...... hello movie that is not how skype works!!! are they even going to acknowledge this? hey! 2/3 of you just dropped in on the other 1/3's private skype call, that's not a thing that can happen! you should at least be confused! hey! boo!! booooooo!!!!"

also every time she looks at another window, all the other characters stop talking, even though the skype call is still open. it's like they're just waiting until the script says they have something to do

I know these are minor details and I'm dumb for getting hung up on them, it just took me out of the movie

I was going to watch Unfriended after the praise in this thread, but contrived, unrealistic depictions of tech really take me out of a movie or TV show. Like, I get the haunted Skype server thing, but I feel like it's less about the possession aspect and more like the director/writer not giving a poo poo about how Skype actually works.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

toiletbrush posted:

Couple films that haven't been mentioned (I think)
Session 9 - dudes get signed up to clear an old an asylum of asbestos. It's a bit OTT and hammy in places but it builds tension well, very grimy, dirty and depressing

I love this dumb movie.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Not straight up horror, I suppose, but I very much enjoyed The Perfection on Netflix.

It's mostly a thriller about two musical prodigies in an intense psycho-sexual fight for a coveted spot in a school.

To say anything more would be a spoiler.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
Not scary or even spooky, but A Ghost Story is a good movie that features a ghost. Maybe watch it when you feel like a break from the scary stuff.

For spooky paranoia tension movies, The Invitation was pretty good.

The first Scream was good, very self-aware and surprisingly funny.

To me it feels like a lot of modern movies have a theme of "the threat is unstoppable so all you can do is follow these rules to avoid being killed" that I kind of hate. What are some good horror movies where the protagonists fight back against the
threat instead of just trying to avoid it? I'm just a sucker for humans triumphing over adversity or at least attempting it

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
Oh and if you haven't seen it the original Night of the Living Dead is slow but good and the end is a surprising bit of social commentary that they removed from all the remakes for some reason

two for the shoah
Jan 14, 2016

Just rewatched Midsommar last night; god that film loving rules.

Anyways, I'll go ahead and echo the recommendations of It Follows, The Witch, Hereditary, The House of the Devil and Session 9.

Kill List is one that I don't think I've seen mentioned yet. It's less of a slow-burn than some of the other films I mentioned, but it's unpredictable and excellent in its own right.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I just recently watched One Cut of the Dead and it's joined my list of top-tier zombie movies.

It's best to go in knowing as little as possible so I'll just say it's on Shudder and you should all watch it because it deserved to make literally 1000x its budget

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

A Fancy Hat posted:

My wife and I continued our spooky movie fest with a bit of a different selection - Cartoon Network's miniseries Over the Garden Wall.

First things first, go watch this if you haven't seen it already. It's amazing.

The series follows two half-brothers, Wirt and Greg, who are lost in a supernatural forest. They encounter a mysterious woodsman who tells them about The Beast, a creature that lurks in the woods and feeds upon any children who get lost there. Each episode is a little mini-adventure, but they all link together into one big story. The boys encounter a talking bluebird who promises to take them to Adelaide, a magic woman who can help them find their way home, and the bulk of the series is them heading towards Adelaide and their various little quests to reach her.

About halfway through, things take a turn. You discover that Wirt and Greg are modern day kids, not citizens of this weird magical world and The Beast starts to take a more active role in the story.

To me, it's perfect fall viewing. A little creepy, a little funny ,and a little heartwarming. Especially the second episode. The kids enter a beautiful little village full of pumpkins and corn, only to discover that all the members of the village are made out of pumpkins and cornhusks. I will not say any more, but this episode really strikes the perfect balance of sinister, funny, and beautiful.

It also helps that the art style is pitch perfect for this and the voice acting is great. Christopher Lloyd is probably the standout to me as he plays the Woodsman, but you've also got John Cleese, Tim loving Curry in one of his creepiest roles ever, and Elijah Wood as Wirt.

Heck yes. My friend group and myself have made this into a mini-tradition the past couple of years. We watch it once every spooky month. I really dig the Americana vibe to it. We need more poo poo like this.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Can somebody make a list of all the current horror flicks on Netflix that are actually worth watching? I've been running into a case of Choice Paralysis with their selections and could use some navigation from the gems and the trash.

I'll give anything a chance but wont watch Creep cause it ain't my bag

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

You people should watch Ghost Stories with Martin Freeman right now. It's scary and creepy as hell.
Masterfully acted as well.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
If you don't like Session 9 then, hey...

gently caress YOOOOOOU.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Former DILF posted:

I'm a big fan of zombie movies. There's a wealth of titles here so here's my top5:

1. Return of the Living Dead (1985)
2. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
3. Train to Busan (2016)
4. Day of the Dead (1985)
5. Night of the Living Dead (1968)

There's way more than this though, zombie films could fill a whole week of movie nights

I have to say Peter Jackson's Braindead (Dead Alive in the U.S.) as my favorite zombie movie because of the batshit insane effects. That movie was the pinnacle of splatter comedy.

A movie not many know of is Sugar Hill. It's a true 70's blaxploitation/revenge/zombie movie that's entertaining as hell. Baron Samedi keeps popping up at the kill sites cracking jokes like the black version of the Cryptkeeper before the zombie slaves tear The Man to pieces.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

John F Bennett posted:

You people should watch Ghost Stories with Martin Freeman right now. It's scary and creepy as hell.
Masterfully acted as well.

it sucks because it sounds great but i don't want to support Martin Freeman's career

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Mukulu posted:

Heck yes. My friend group and myself have made this into a mini-tradition the past couple of years. We watch it once every spooky month. I really dig the Americana vibe to it. We need more poo poo like this.
thirded

Over the Garden Wall is the most autumn thing to ever autumn

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

InediblePenguin posted:

it sucks because it sounds great but i don't want to support Martin Freeman's career

Why not? What did I miss?

Too bad, Ghost Stories is fantastic. Super scary stuff.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

John F Bennett posted:

Why not? What did I miss?

Too bad, Ghost Stories is fantastic. Super scary stuff.

a few years back he was wanking on in an interview about how he doesn't mind living near "trannies" he's just a standard mediocre white man with good acting abilities and i personally dislike him shrug emoji

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
So based on this thread I think I need to watch [b]In the Mouth of Madness[b] as I beleive it's the only Carpenter film I haven't seen (shameful, I know).
Whoever said they haven't seen [b]The Thing[b], dude go watch that poo poo right now. I went to a showing of it at the Troc in Philly last year and it was such a blast. grabbed a few beers and did some post show trivia. I lost, there was some mega nerds.

So a film I've never watched but always here is excellent is [b]Audition[b] I know little of the premise other than that there is some sort of disturbing twist. This is worth a watch, right?
People tend to repeat [b]Session 9[b] in these threads a lot, but I found it too slow and the payoff is really kind of predictable. Creepy premise and setting though. Better slow-burn horrors are definitely (and to echo many people) The Borderlands, Hereditary or Lake Mungo. The former is the scariest, while the latter two create a pervading sense of dread throughout (though I could see people finding them boring).
Another I could recommend is [b]Gerald's Game[b]. I believe it is a netflix original and an adaptation of a Stephen King novel so both of those can be extremely hit or miss, but I was hooked throughout. Another I liked on Netflix was [b]Creep[b]. For some reason, this one has really stuck with me. I think because I am a people pleaser with a curiosity streak and could put myself in the protagonist's shoes very easily. is the sequel any good?

Schlong Connery fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 8, 2019

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
wow, first effort post and I can't even get bolding right. I give up

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

don't give up I believe in you

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Hit the edit button. You can do it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Schlong Connery posted:

So a film I've never watched but always here is excellent is [b]Audition[b] I know little of the premise other than that there is some sort of disturbing twist. This is worth a watch, right?

yes, watch it, don't read anything else. i almost mentioned it earlier, but felt it was a little further afield than most of the stuff itt.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like the "is this person crazy or is something spooky going on" genre of horror movies. The isolation comes from not being able to ask for help, not from everyone else in the world being incompetent.

Boogeyman - silly name but a solid film. Early on we see some stuff that is clearly just a panic attack, then things get weird. Is Boone from Lost crazy, or is there really a monster in the closet? Oh, it's from 2005, so you've been warned if a few minutes of bad CGI from 2005 is a dealbreaker for you.
Note: at the end some stuff is still ambiguous, but don't go looking for the sequels for answers, they are trash.

The Others - Very good "spooky or crazy?" film others have mentioned.

Babadook - Decent. Probably over-hyped when it came out, but worth a watch.

Mirrors - Oh no, Kiefer Sutherland is bedeviled by haunted mirrors.

Crimson Peak - Spooky and stylish gothic horror.

Stir of Echoes - Working class dude gets hypnotized and starts seeing spooky things.

More spooky than crazy:

The Mist - Pretty good. Gut punch ending.

1408 - Super spooky hotel room.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Seriously, watch The Ritual. It's such a weird and unique horror film.

what other things would you like to tell us?

Bansky
Mar 1, 2016
Gonna try and go through some lesser talked about stuff, no idea how popular half of this stuff is because I never talk about films w/ people.

Tenebrae - Everyone knows Argento's Suspiria but no-one ever mentions this, which is a stylish look at the author/audience relationship in violent films and has a bunch of cool kills. Not as pretty as Suspiria though.

Razorback - Though it's easy to dismiss as one of the glut of dull post-Jaws creature feature films this Australian film has incredible visuals, a funny script and, most importantly, a giant killer pig. Also Mad Max-esque villains, because gently caress it, why not. If you like any of Sam Raimi's stuff you'll probably love this.

Cemetery Man aka Dellamorte Dellamore - Urge people to watch this, unsure how to describe it but just an absolutely insane film about love and death, zombies on motorbikes, heads in microwaves, sex in sepulchers, just batshit stuff.

Ravenous - Film set during the American civil war that deals with cannibalism and the idea of overconsumption generally, as well as PTSD and about 20 other concepts. Strange tone in places but the performances are great, especially from Robert Carlyle. Tons of blood and some neat twists.

The Hunt aka Jagten - Mads Mikkelsen gets accused of being a nonce. Great film.

Perfect Blue - Probably the best scary animated film I've seen from out of Japan; about the retirement of a pop idol and how she deals with both mental stress and a creepy stalker.

The Beyond - Lucio Fulci film about a hosed up house, great gore.

Some classics I don't think I've seen mentioned are Don't Look Now, Onibaba & The Blob (1988).

Schlong Connery posted:

So based on this thread I think I need to watch In the Mouth of Madness as I beleive it's the only Carpenter film I haven't seen (shameful, I know).
Whoever said they haven't seen The Thing, dude go watch that poo poo right now. I went to a showing of it at the Troc in Philly last year and it was such a blast. grabbed a few beers and did some post show trivia. I lost, there was some mega nerds.

So a film I've never watched but always here is excellent is Audition I know little of the premise other than that there is some sort of disturbing twist. This is worth a watch, right?
People tend to repeat Session 9 in these threads a lot, but I found it too slow and the payoff is really kind of predictable. Creepy premise and setting though. Better slow-burn horrors are definitely (and to echo many people) The Borderlands, Hereditary or Lake Mungo. The former is the scariest, while the latter two create a pervading sense of dread throughout (though I could see people finding them boring).
Another I could recommend is Gerald's Game. I believe it is a netflix original and an adaptation of a Stephen King novel so both of those can be extremely hit or miss, but I was hooked throughout. Another I liked on Netflix was Creep. For some reason, this one has really stuck with me. I think because I am a people pleaser with a curiosity streak and could put myself in the protagonist's shoes very easily. is the sequel any good?

Audition is definitely worth a watch, one that people always insist is a 'psychological thriller' (what people say when they can't admit horror films are good) but pretty brutal in places too.

Speaking of Stephen King stuff Misery is pretty incredible, probably the 2nd best King adaptation which is pretty lofty praise.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Someone told me Bride of the Reanimator is actually good, I freaking love the first one so excited to check it out later.

Jeffrey Combs owns.

E: wtf, he grew up into Joe Pantoliano

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 9, 2019

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Oh another good horror comedy is Housebound, which is a New Zealand flick about a woman who is sentenced to house arrest with her mother and step-father in a haunted house. It used to be on Netflix, but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

Transmogrifier posted:

Oh another good horror comedy is Housebound, which is a New Zealand flick about a woman who is sentenced to house arrest with her mother and step-father in a haunted house. It used to be on Netflix, but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

This is another good one I've watched three times. It's pretty funny, actually.

Also I am disappoint that they did not reveal the origin of the name Candyman in the movie. Also Joxer the Mighty as a bad boy motorcycle fuckboi, ok then.