Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Monathin posted:

I did skip it but I'm gonna say I don't like this either. Again, joke vote that turns into real vote doesn't sit well for me.

:hmmyes:

Slowly we unfurl as Lotus Auras
'Cause all I want is the scum upon a stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Also I don't really buy 'nervy scum' as an argument. Day 1 is the day where scum have the least amount of trouble flying under the radar. As someone who has been scum on Day 1 plenty of times it's the easiest day unless your scum versus town meta is comically disparate.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

wologar posted:

:hmmyes:

Slowly we unfurl as Lotus Auras
'Cause all I want is the scum upon a stick

Lotus is definitely on my radar for the same reasons, for sure.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Oh why why why
All I could reply is l-o-l.

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011
My opinion on Meen hasn't changed, resigned posting isn't any indication of towniness to me.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

That's fine with me. If we flip town Meen like I'm starting to suspect we will after cooling on it after most of yesterday that will also be good information.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Votecount for Day 1

Ignatius M. Meen (6): Illusionis, Monathin, wologar, wologar, wologar, wologar, wologar, wologar, wologar, Monathin, Hal Insandenza, WindwardAway, Ignatius M. Meen, girl dick energy
Illusionis (2): Monathin, b-minus1
My Second Re-Reg (1): Lotus Aura
Hyper Crab Tank (0): WindwardAway, wologar, wologar, WindwardAway
WindwardAway (0): b-minus1, b-minus1
wologar (0): Lotus Aura, Lotus Aura
Lotus Aura (0): b-minus1, wologar, b-minus1, wologar
Monathin (0): b-minus1, b-minus1
Bifauxnen (0): Monathin, girl dick energy, Monathin, girl dick energy
b-minus1 (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen

Not Voting (4): Bifauxnen, Cloacamazing!, Hyper Crab Tank, My Second Re-Reg

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is November 09th, 2022 at 4 p.m. CST -- that's in about 2 hours, 3 minutes.

Posting it for my own convenience more than anything.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Conversely, while I'm entertaining ALL options, if Meen does flip scum then Bif, Clo, MSRR and HCT look a lot worse for it.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.

b-minus1 posted:

Actually I’m not sure about illusionis. Man the scum are making it difficult to find them. If I squint hard enough everyone looks scummy

Doesn't that just mean we all suck at being town?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Rush deal has expired! ##unvote

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Monathin posted:

Fight is probably the wrong word. Illusionis came in and made noise about "if you think Hal is scum why aren't you voting them, that seems sus", which again feels like a misread of what people were saying about Hal. Aside from prodding Cloaca about 'who is scum', they made noise about it but didn't comment on the current vote leader at all.

Which tells me Illusionis doesn't want to rock the water of a Meen vote. Which tells me if Meen -does- flip town (an idea I am entertaining a bit more) that Illusionis is probably scum.

Hm. Yeah, I can see that.

If anything, I'd think that Illu was trying to draw attention away from the Meen wagon. Like if Meen flips scum I'd look closely at Illu tomorrow. But you think the opposite is more likely?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Monathin posted:

Conversely, while I'm entertaining ALL options, if Meen does flip scum then Bif, Clo, MSRR and HCT look a lot worse for it.

I know... Ask me about my first mafia game where I managed to defend not one but two scum, and also got wol lunched. I was town.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Monathin posted:

How exactly do you figure that one, chief?

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Monathin posted:

That's fine with me. If we flip town Meen like I'm starting to suspect we will after cooling on it after most of yesterday that will also be good information.

I think it's more indicative of scum knowing they're done for
I don't see any reason why town would claim a somewhat unverifiable role, self-vote, and disappear. I mean, I get that Meen's been under the microscope for a good while but he hasn't fought back and while he threw a "maybe Hal is lurking scum" comment out there after retracting the ping from Illusionis, he never followed up on voting there. There's no fight, so if anything I think he's just scum and his teammates already decided they might as well bus him.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

wologar posted:

🤔

:thunk:

Oh, the things I've seen! Town hammering themselves out of frustation, aye. But town voting themselves before then? Hey, nay.

buddy click this to blow your mind wide open, maybe even this

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Cloacamazing! posted:

I know... Ask me about my first mafia game where I managed to defend not one but two scum, and also got wol lunched. I was town.

💀

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

My Second Re-Reg posted:

How exactly do you figure that one, chief?

You say you're feeling good about an Iggy vote but then didn't place a vote anywhere as a point of confidence. If he's scum the easy thing to do to fly under the radar would be to support your scumbud's vote you can't stop but not place a vote to help doom them.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

WindwardAway posted:

I don't see any reason why town would claim a somewhat unverifiable role, self-vote, and disappear. I mean, I get that Meen's been under the microscope for a good while but he hasn't fought back and while he threw a "maybe Hal is lurking scum" comment out there after retracting the ping from Illusionis, he never followed up on voting there. There's no fight, so if anything I think he's just scum and his teammates already decided they might as well bus him.

It'd be easy to verify me even if I didn't message every night like I plan to with a new message. Track me, or just wait for two people to pop up saying they got a message from me and talking about the song reference I put in at the end. Not that you're interested in that, too busy trying to talk town into swatting the mosquito you see me as.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

WindwardAway posted:

I don't think I've ever seen scum self-vote unless they're the last scum and the jig is up. Self-vote pretty much is far more likely a frustrated townie move to me.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Well now I see that youve done the self-vote as town
But I still don't know whether you exclusively do it as town
And I still stand by what I said thinking your explanation to me felt unnecessary

Let's try this instead - of all of us who are currently voting you, do you think anyone in particular is scum?

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Monathin posted:

You say you're feeling good about an Iggy vote but then didn't place a vote anywhere as a point of confidence. If he's scum the easy thing to do to fly under the radar would be to support your scumbud's vote you can't stop but not place a vote to help doom them.

So... what, you want me to hammer to make you feel better? Because generally I agree with your line of logic here:

Monathin posted:

Hi, I'm here. I can hammer as needed but we've got 3 hours to go and I'd like to do some last minute post analysis before I actually commit to a vote. We've still got 3 hours before deadline.

Early hammering has gotten me screwed before - I don't joke vote and I don't vote until I'm good and ready to, particularly if I'm not convinced someone is scum.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It'd be easy to verify me even if I didn't message every night like I plan to with a new message. Track me, or just wait for two people to pop up saying they got a message from me and talking about the song reference I put in at the end. Not that you're interested in that, too busy trying to talk town into swatting the mosquito you see me as.

Oh, the messenger part is easily verifiable, I don't doubt that part of your role.
I meant that there's no way to prove your targets are randomized rather than a conscious choice.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Monathin posted:

I don't think I've ever seen scum self-vote unless they're the last scum and the jig is up. Self-vote pretty much is far more likely a frustrated townie move to me.

I regret to admit that I did it once during joke phase as scum and literally everyone dogpiled and voted me out immediately

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

My Second Re-Reg posted:

So... what, you want me to hammer to make you feel better? Because generally I agree with your line of logic here:

Early hammering has gotten me screwed before - I don't joke vote and I don't vote until I'm good and ready to, particularly if I'm not convinced someone is scum.

That's fair! But I specifically hopped off iggy before. And I too have been screwed by early hammering, but it does stand it could be a scum thing to do, too.

It doesn't drat you but it would make me look at you harder that you mentioned being supportive of an Iggy vote, and didn't put down a vote at any point during the process. I'm just throwing everything out there as it comes to mind.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Then that means... :qq:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

ok I finished my review of active binus White Knighters

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Binus would never lie about being town, checks out to me.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I don't have any good reads either at this stage, really. Somehow I'm starting to get a better feel for how binus plays though and this feels like town binus, somehow. Who knows, maybe it's a ruse and he finally decided to flip the script and cash in, but right now I'm not seeing it.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Binus likes to vote weak cases just to see who reacts to them, or so he told me in Masons. I think that's why he's voting you. That might be why he pushed Re-reg too, but that's not the vibe I get for some reason. I don't know, this is gut stuff and I'm notoriously bad at that, especially D1, but this is vaguely pattern matching what binus did as town the last few games I saw him.

HCT was pushing it super early on, and came back to it more than once. But he did mention this anecdote later about binus explaining some of his rationale for once in a masonry they had. That makes me think it could possibly be legit. HCT could just be high on this idea of actually being able to understand binus.

Monathin posted:

binus I am leaning town on you rn but I do need you to at least try and explain your reads bud

This from Monathin seems innocuous enough

Windward also made a few posts here and there that were more questioning around binus, non-conclusive.

Cloacamazing! posted:

So, current thoughts: binus seems like town binus to me so far, including the "catching votes for refusing to explain stuff" part. Also he did say he was town.

Iggy is doing the numbers thing again, which I dislike, but it's not really an indicator either way.

Bif feels like town to me for now, which is weird, since I usually scumread Bif.

No real scumreads for now.

Bonus knee-jerk points for also townreading me, but I think this can be covered by Cloaca's "always posts hella scummy as town" cred so far

These two are the ones I'm worried about :

My Second Re-Reg posted:

I dunno who scum yet but this

Doesn't feel like scum b

Lotus Aura posted:

Same

Also binus is clearly town

Lotus more so than MSRR. (can confirm that MSRR's reluctance to plop down a vote is quite legit btw. Not that he can't still do the same thing as scum of course, but he has definitely done it as town)

I'm hearing out the Illusionis case too, just feeling a bit hesitant there since I was just masons with him in Cookfia and he did a pretty great job even while being a bit more quiet in thread.

##vote Lotus

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

don't expect any more effortposts today btw cause I gotta go to work soon, but I'll keep an eye out if I gotta move my vote

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Monathin posted:

Eh, I have seen plenty of people do it earlier in the day, but overall you are probably right.

BUT... meen would know that and play into it. He's a devious fellow

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hal Insandenza posted:

Eh, I have seen plenty of people do it earlier in the day, but overall you are probably right.

BUT... meen would know that and play into it. He's a devious fellow

I agree Meen would be capable of that yes, lol

But I've read his frustrated posts as town otherwise. Not to the point I'd withhold a hammer though if no one else gets up there

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I could switch to Lotus if we have the votes. Lotus is definitely the other person I didn't feel good about on a reread and that pocket of b- does read a little weird now that I look back over at it.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Bifauxnen posted:

I agree Meen would be capable of that yes, lol

But I've read his frustrated posts as town otherwise. Not to the point I'd withhold a hammer though if no one else gets up there

exactly where I'm at, yea

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

We have an hour and a half before deadline now and Meen is the leading wagon

If by any chance Meen is town, then I would like him to throw out some reads on the scumteam since he implied that he thinks his wagon is scum motivated, even if his reads are just a gut feeling

But if he's scum like I think he is, I guess he's in antispew and probably not gonna answer my question

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

I want to take a look at some of my nullreads because there's a high chance someone there is scum whos escaped my notice

I'm not sure if I'll have time before deadline, though, so I might as well wait till after we get a flip to analyze spew from

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

If Lotus and Illusionis aren't going to get traction I'm gonna withhold my vote until Meen answers until like 30 till deadline, if Meen is still leading by then and hasn't responded I'll switch back over.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I think I finally get "spew/antispew" from context now but could you explain it just so I can make sure I'm right, it sounds like a fun addition to make to my vocabulary

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Bifauxnen posted:

I think I finally get "spew/antispew" from context now but could you explain it just so I can make sure I'm right, it sounds like a fun addition to make to my vocabulary

Spew is how scum interacts with other players. They can spew their teammates as scum by having very partnered interactions, or spew others as town by having unpartnered interactions.

Antispew is the opposite... Usually happens with scum who are aware they're about to go down, so they'll start fake spewing their partners as town and townies as scum.

It's all useful in spew analysis, when you ISO the scum player who's flipped or otherwise confirmed scum, and try to figure out how many of their posts are spew material, versus where they mightve hit a turning point and gone into antispew.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Shakes the ground in agony the Lord of Lies
Once for every drop of venom in his eyes
Nothing festers in his heart and nor he cries
Their disdain will be the end and you will

See me vote, either Meen or Lotus-

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Some scum are really good at hiding their TMI (the info they know on people's alignments) and they don't spew much

Others are terrible at hiding it, and I like to call them spew piñatas (I don't think anyone else calls them that but I think it's funny)
Piñatas because as soon as you hit them they spew their entire team

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

WindwardAway posted:

Well now I see that youve done the self-vote as town
But I still don't know whether you exclusively do it as town
And I still stand by what I said thinking your explanation to me felt unnecessary

Let's try this instead - of all of us who are currently voting you, do you think anyone in particular is scum?

I could 100% believe this is your first SA scum game, because you're tunneling hard on the very first person who vaguely pipes up, you're thinking that somehow a wanderer + messenger isn't a real role that would leave me in a :sigh: + :nallears: mood, and echoing Hal rather hard which is pinging me greatly. Hal though, he's correctly determined I am town under much more egregious circumstances; if I had voted him along with saying "it could be Hal", that would absolutely be something else, but there's no way this is an unfamiliarity mistake.

I'm interested in the arguments picking up on Illusionis, but I can't say I'd vote there first by my own reads; I'd order it as Hal/you/wolo/monathin/.../Illusionis. wologar is next least credible unfamiliarity mistake, there's timing associations between monathin and you + Hal, whereas Illusionis is just not posting much and somehow thinks the guy who thought he might be able to force scum to supersede the game and therefore leave by jailing them is putting too much thought into an early D1 vote. It's wrong, and really assuming you know what it's normal for a person who comes up with a three person redirector/jail to think should be farcically obviously a fool's errand, but it's not scummy to try applying Occam's Razor first anyway when you haven't got a better starting tool.

That said I can see it's not gonna be any of you four so ##vote Illusionis; count me as a spiritual +1 on Lotus too because even though they're not pinging me I see the appeal in the arguments there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Alright that last meen post was pretty good, my doubts are swirling now