Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't it Balestre who pushed for it? The Turbo engines in F1 were supposed to last until 1990 originally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
What junior series needs a global engine? Who even benefits from this idea?

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Hi there fellow teenagers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu4rluYllns

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pirate Radar posted:

What junior series needs a global engine? Who even benefits from this idea?

I can see F2 using a 1.6 single turbo non-hybrid, you know, to bridge the gap better?

Beyond that, hosed if I know.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Todt used the word synergy. Ron Dennis is now on board.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Wirth1000 posted:

I mean, gently caress, even the idea of BTCC or any series with a variety of manufacturers all sharing the same kind of engine is loving horseshit.

I just want to check, you know the majority of the BTCC cars actually do use the same engine right?

Human Grand Prix posted:

I always forget the ill-fated attempt for Group C and F1 to share engine rules. MAYBE it would have worked if the same manufacturers were competing simultaneously in both series but really on Jaguar/Ford benefited from that.

You know who I'm surprised has clearly forgotten about it? Jean Todt, who was in charge of building a car to those very regulations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Come on lads we've seen this time and time again, It's the Bernie school of negotiation. Have something the teams will get pissy about that you want to push through, propose something absolutely terrible that everyone truly hates, "compromise" with the thing you actually want.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Huh, I thought BTCC had manufacturer specific engines. Well then nevermind!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Wirth1000 posted:

Bumper cars generally have similar engines.

Didn't know that about the btcc though. Pretty weird.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Liberty and Todt are trying to kill Grand Prix racing. Its up to honest teams like Scuderia Ferrari to save the sport.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 5, 2018

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Ferrari built F1 into the greatest sport ever and have to deal with fans of British autist teams that haven't won anything since the 90s making a mockery of everything. No good deed goes unpunished.

can you imagine not being a tifosi, a fan of the most winningest Formula 1 team of all time. Instead being a fan of some smalltime ugly fat brits in sheds trying to cheat as hard as possible because their boiled horse meat addled brains are unable to build good cars.

1500quidporsche posted:

Pretty sure the RX8 was a blown up platform of some gen of MX5 and a rotary will bolt right up to the chassis.

Pretty sure the NC chassis MX5 was based on the RX-8 platform or a derivative.

Dudley posted:

I just want to check, you know the majority of the BTCC cars actually do use the same engine right?

I didn't really follow btcc last year, but I thought Honda, Subie and BMW use their own engines? Thought it was just Toyota and MG who use the swindon motor.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Liberty and Todt are trying to kill Grand Prix racing. Its up to honest team like Scuderia Ferrari to save the sport.

Ferrari should've bought Formula 1 instead of american garbagemen

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Wirth1000 posted:

They have a series provided engine anyone can choose to use, most independent entries do it. It's a good way of keeping the grid varied.

track day bro! posted:

I didn't really follow btcc last year, but I thought Honda, Subie and BMW use their own engines? Thought it was just Toyota and MG who use the swindon motor.

The Works Hondas, Subbies, Fords and BMWs use their own yeah, along with the private Fords. (I'm calling Motorbase works here because they build the cars)

The private Hondas are all Swindon engined as well as the Toyotas, Vauxhalls, MGs, Audis, Mercedes and VWs. It's the majority of cars.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Makes sense that most of the privateer teams use em, dunno why but I just figured the privateer Hondas still used the honda motor. I forgot about the weird janky one car privateer teams like Audi and Vauxhall haha.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

DoctorGonzo posted:

Liberty and Todt are trying to kill Grand Prix racing. Its up to honest team like Scuderia Ferrari to save the sport.

Todt will be the... well, y’know... of GP racing.

track day bro! posted:

can you imagine not being a tifosi, a fan of the most winningest Formula 1 team of all time. Instead being a fan of some smalltime ugly fat brits in sheds trying to cheat as hard as possible because their boiled horse meat addled brains are unable to build good cars.

I don’t know what that feels like because I’m a fan of a team from good honest upstanding Austria, a country which has never caused trouble for anyone.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

I don’t know what that feels like because I’m a fan of a team from good honest upstanding Austria, a country which has never caused trouble for anyone.

I forgot they moved Milton Keynes to Austria. It doesn't matter what fizzy drink logo is on the side of the car, they are still British Garbagemen™️

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Yeah let me support the team with notorious cheat car designer Gaydrian Pooey

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

track day bro! posted:

Gaydrian Pooey

:ck5:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'm a fan of that swiss team that signs more drivers than they have cars for.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I mean, counting to two is hard....

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tuo posted:

I'm a fan of that swiss team that signs more drivers than they have cars for.

?

Alfa Romeo is a honest team from a honest, hard working country like Italy. Just like their big brothers and benefactors Scuderia Ferrari.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

DoctorGonzo posted:

?

Alfa Romeo is a honest team from a honest, hard working country like Italy. Just like their big brothers and benefactors Scuderia Ferrari.

ruoy nrut
o
t
i
n
o
m

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sauber owns, everyone loves Sauber and always has.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Sauber are pretty much Italian, I mean Switzerland borders Italy anyway.

Does anyone remember when McLaren pretended to be german when they were the Mercedes works team and they played the German Anthem instead of the bad British Anthem which is probably about loving your ugly cousin while eating boiled horse meat with bad teeth.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

track day bro! posted:

Makes sense that most of the privateer teams use em, dunno why but I just figured the privateer Hondas still used the honda motor. I forgot about the weird janky one car privateer teams like Audi and Vauxhall haha.

I don't know why they don't really, it seems to work pretty well for the works team and both Eurotech and BTC Norlin use ex-Dynamics cars, just not the engines.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Does anyone remember when McLaren pretended to be german when they were the Mercedes works team and they played the German Anthem instead of the bad British Anthem which is probably about loving your ugly cousin while eating boiled horse meat with bad teeth.

No

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Same engine from NASCAR to F1, I mean... what could go wrong with that? Let's get on board, chaps!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CratSock posted:

Same engine from NASCAR to F1, I mean... what could go wrong with that? Let's get on board, chaps!

Everyone using a big, loud rear end V8?

I'm 100% on board with this.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

F1 should have carburetors.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I can't wait to see what happens when they put an f1 engine on the ducati.

Wait that's fim.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

Sauber owns, everyone loves Sauber and always has.

Sauber made the C11, that’s enough for me to count them as Cool And Good

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Easily the best sounding car in WEC is the Corvette.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

There was a merc running continental tire series that just had a low burble everywhere it went

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ilmucche posted:

I can't wait to see what happens when they put an f1 engine on the ducati.

Wait that's fim.

Ducati engines are already perfect. Italian excellence that can only be improved by some bro truck dude on meth with a Dremel grinder.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm going to be honest and say that I think all Group C cars look the same. Except like, the really lovely ones made by some French guys in a shack somewhere.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Easily the best sounding car in WEC is the Corvette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8JR7Wi2MEU

You can pinpoint the Corvette fly-bys so easily.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm going to be honest and say that I think all Group C cars look the same. Except like, the really lovely ones made by some French guys in a shack somewhere.

Yeah all of them basically shared the same 956-ish shape until like 1991-1992 when everybody copied the XJR-14. Are you talking about the Rondeau?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Rondeau was killed when his car was hit by a train outside Champagné. He had been following a police car across the train tracks – while the boom gates were down – and his car was hit by the train that the gates had closed for.

:whitewater:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Yeah all of them basically shared the same 956-ish shape until like 1991-1992 when everybody copied the XJR-14. Are you talking about the Rondeau?

The Rondeau and the WM.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Dome Zero was also pretty boss despite not technically being a Group C car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

Sauber are pretty much Italian, I mean Switzerland borders Italy anyway.

The results are back and, I don't know how else to put this mr. day bro, sooo I'll be blunt.... you are british!!!

• Locked thread