Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I've been thinking about a CK2 LP for a bit, and have run everything through the screenshot LP tester and all that, looking alright. Would it be alright to pop the OP in here to see what people think? More work needs doing on the banners and such, and some feedback on how they look/general tone and content would be really great.

edit: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=145101

edit 2: Sorry, didn't think of that.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

lenoon posted:

I've been thinking about a CK2 LP for a bit, and have run everything through the screenshot LP tester and all that, looking alright. ...

The 'screenshot LP tester' as you put it is both to test post composition and basic functionality, but also to provide a link to the test post. It's convenient to keep long screenshot heavy test posts out of the main stream of posts in the sandcastle. Keeps page-load times down and helps avoid incredibly long pages.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It also stops you from burying anything that might have been on the bottom of the last page :argh:

I think the banners with dropcaps and red text would look a lot better on a paper or parchment background, if it wouldn't be too much trouble; but that Arawn banner looks fine as-is.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Teledahn posted:

The 'screenshot LP tester' as you put it is both to test post composition and basic functionality, but also to provide a link to the test post. It's convenient to keep long screenshot heavy test posts out of the main stream of posts in the sandcastle. Keeps page-load times down and helps avoid incredibly long pages.

Thanks, edited. Apologies, got a bit excited.

Really Pants posted:

It also stops you from burying anything that might have been on the bottom of the last page :argh:

I think the banners with dropcaps and red text would look a lot better on a paper or parchment background, if it wouldn't be too much trouble; but that Arawn banner looks fine as-is.

I'll give that a go, thank you.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Really Pants posted:

After a long complex technical process of smacking my computer box with an animal femur while hooting in a threatening way, I think the okay videos might be ready to come out?? maybe???

Valkyria Chronicles yet again

So can I take the silence as a good sign?

Are those YouTube CC comments okay? I thought viewers might want the option to turn commentary off, and it's just plain a million times easier than hard subbing.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Only skimmed through but yeah, that's much better. Seems fine to me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Really Pants posted:

So can I take the silence as a good sign?

Are those YouTube CC comments okay? I thought viewers might want the option to turn commentary off, and it's just plain a million times easier than hard subbing.

It's fine in terms of watching, just bear in mind that if your video gets messed up for whatever reason and you have to reupload then you will have to redo all the captions.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
I had to do some digging before I found out that there wasn't actually an LP Archive-specific thread anymore.

I've been reading some LPs on the archive on an old iPad I picked up, and I notice that both Safari and Chrome have an issue where text behind spoiler tags can't be read. I've got an android phone that I use for day to day where the tags work just fine, but on a lark I checked it on my iPhone and the tags don't work there either - on the other hand, I asked someone else to check and the spoiler tags work just fine.

This isn't exactly a critical problem or anything, but I was wondering if anyone had run into this problem before and knew of a way to fix it or a workaround that was more convenient than copy-pasting the text in the spoiler tag?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

For you amateur copyright lawyers, what is the legality of using images off Google in a video? I am considering doing an American McGee's Alice runthrough, but I would like to use illustrations from the books to do backgrounds of all the characters in supplementary sections. Is this YouTube legal?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
"Images off Google" doesn't really mean anything. Google doesn't host or own the images, they just find them. Using some images would be fine, others would not be fine.

In your specific case however, the original book was published in 1865, so it's well out of copyright, and that would include John Tenniel's illustrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

"Images off Google" doesn't really mean anything. Google doesn't host or own the images, they just find them. Using some images would be fine, others would not be fine.

In your specific case however, the original book was published in 1865, so it's well out of copyright, and that would include John Tenniel's illustrations.

Fair enough, I used that term to mean "are images considered 'fair use' in the same way that the game footage is". In this case, no they aren't.

I think I will be okay with illustrations, as you said. Concept art should be fine too, I imagine, since Rogue has been dead for 15 years :rip:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

One classical painting I used without citing it.

Another thing was a map that was created and hosted website. Asked for permission and cited the source in the video description and in the video itself.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Mind Over Brain Matter - Let’s Play Galerians

Galerians is what happens when you throw Resident Evil, Scanners and System Shock into a blender. Released in 1999 for the original Playstation, Galerians is one of a number of games that attempted to capitalise on the growing popularity of the survival horror genre. While derivative, it was successful enough to warrant a sequel, Galerians: Ash, which was released for the Playstation 2 in 2003.

The story takes place in the cyberpunk future of 2522. The main character, teenager Rion Steiner, wakes up strapped to an operating table with no memory of who he is or how he got there. After hearing a girl’s voice inside his mind pleading with him for help, Rion uses his newfound telekinetic powers to free himself and embarks on a journey to find some answers.

In terms of gameplay Galerians is a survival horror title released in the late nineties. This means pre-rendered backgrounds, lots of CG cutscenes, god-awful voice acting, logic-defying puzzles and, joy of joys, tank controls. What sets it apart from other games in the genre is the use of psychic powers. Rion can use psychometry to ‘read’ certain parts of the environment for information and clues on how to solve puzzles. He can also inject himself with a number of drugs that give him access to pyrokinesis and other offensive abilities. These powers come at a cost however, and can result in a catastrophic meltdown if not managed carefully.

My own feelings about this title are mixed. The game starts out strongly and has a wonderfully bleak, noir-style atmosphere that few survival horror titles manage. The gameplay has a few niggles, but the mechanics around the psychic abilities are far more interesting than the gunplay found in most survival horror titles. On the negative side the game is very short, with only four stages and almost no replay value. The plot is porous in places and often dissonant with the gameplay, and it feels like some of the later areas were rushed. It’s a mixed bag, but if you enjoy games like Resident Evil and Parasite Eve then Galerians is a title that might appeal to you.

Updates:

Stage One: Michelangelo Memorial Hospital
01 - Playing with Syringes
02 - Shorting Out

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Scintilla posted:

Mind Over Brain Matter - Let’s Play Galerians

Looks good to me. If there's going to be long strings of dialogue then I could see the slightly oversized portraits being a little annoying, but for these updates they didn't seem too bothersome.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

tiistai posted:

Looks good to me. If there's going to be long strings of dialogue then I could see the slightly oversized portraits being a little annoying, but for these updates they didn't seem too bothersome.

I had a feeling they were a bit big. The conversations in the game aren't huge, but slimming them down can't hurt.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

So I'd like to pick an LP back up that I abandoned 80% through three years ago. I know there have been posts about this in the past, but I've failed to dig any up. What's the best way to handle the content from the old thread that's in the SA archives when I start the new one? It's a Youtube-hosted VLP, but with some important image and text content in each update post.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Egomaniac posted:

So I'd like to pick an LP back up that I abandoned 80% through three years ago. I know there have been posts about this in the past, but I've failed to dig any up. What's the best way to handle the content from the old thread that's in the SA archives when I start the new one? It's a Youtube-hosted VLP, but with some important image and text content in each update post.

You could reconstruct your posts in the SSLP Test Poster, and put links to the reconstructed posts in your new OP? Seems like the most practical solution, although also the most effort-intensive.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

That's a good idea. I've still got the update posts saved so it should go pretty quick.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Please do this. Your LP was fantastic.

Edit: if it was all in a big first post, you could link to that? No need for a separate page for each!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I need a bit of feedback on two mostly identical videos. Specifically, the sound and video quality of the videos.

The first one is what happens if I record my PS4 with an HD PVR. I have to run the entire thing through Handbrake to stabilize the frame rate or I get massive, massive desync on the sound:

This is the HD PVR video

I've also tried using the PS4's onboard recording features. While the sound is better (and it picks up the in game chat of me and anyone else in the party with me) the video quality is much worse, 720p and 30FPS when I import it.

Here's the PS4 onboard recording video

The issue with the overblown sounds on the PS4 come from me forcing it to 60FPS, I'm fairly sure. The same process is what's happening to the HDPVR audio, but I can live without the 60FPS upgrade on the PS4 recording.

The plan on the LP is to just use multiplayer from the PS4 and single player recordings from the PC, so I'm willing to accept a video quality downgrade on the multiplayer side of things as it's more an extra than the main event.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

I need a bit of feedback on two mostly identical videos. Specifically, the sound and video quality of the videos.

The first one is what happens if I record my PS4 with an HD PVR. I have to run the entire thing through Handbrake to stabilize the frame rate or I get massive, massive desync on the sound:

This is the HD PVR video

I've also tried using the PS4's onboard recording features. While the sound is better (and it picks up the in game chat of me and anyone else in the party with me) the video quality is much worse, 720p and 30FPS when I import it.

Here's the PS4 onboard recording video

The issue with the overblown sounds on the PS4 come from me forcing it to 60FPS, I'm fairly sure. The same process is what's happening to the HDPVR audio, but I can live without the 60FPS upgrade on the PS4 recording.

The plan on the LP is to just use multiplayer from the PS4 and single player recordings from the PC, so I'm willing to accept a video quality downgrade on the multiplayer side of things as it's more an extra than the main event.

I would definitely go for the latter option. The quality hit is almost unnoticeable and the sound distortion on the PVR is really off-putting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

We made it to 100 pages! :toot: That means it's time for a brand new Sandcastle thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790126

• Locked thread