Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

OscarDiggs posted:

Do I have to read any of something called Final Crises?

Morally, yes. To understand Morrison's Batman, uhhh, it's a pretty important event, but you could just have it broken down for you and probably be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

Dan Didio posted:

Morally, yes. To understand Morrison's Batman, uhhh, it's a pretty important event, but you could just have it broken down for you and probably be fine.

Okay, I can do that then. Is Final Crises one book on its own or do I need to hunt down a ton of different ones for single issues to get the whole thing?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The trade that has the main title, Submit, Last Rites and Superman Beyond 3D is all you need.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You should read Final Crisis because it's fuckin awesome.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's really good, but I'm curious if the collected editions tidy up some of the rushed coloring and stuff? I sort of remember stuff like Milo Norman being white and just generally a sense of the technical process being hurried along, albeit not on the level of Infinite Crisis' ending.

Anyway I hope this doesn't sound too negative-- you know how people are generally pretty down on Marvel's big events but feel passionately about Secret Wars and to a lesser extent Infinity? Final Crisis is kind of like that but much more self-contained-- it's a big, bombastic crescendo to a major writer's grand statement about something he loves, and is super well worth your time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hold on there. Dissenting opinion coming in. You DON'T have to read Final Crisis and the Batman stuff related to Final Crisis is covered is already covered in 2 issues of Batman from Morrison's run.
Further dissenting opinion Final Crisis can be....dense. There are a lot of characters that may require a bit of knowledge to know about and depending how deep a read you want of the the comic you should probably know about New Gods/Forever People/obscure Justice League villains/Morrison's love of metafiction/Morrisons love of recurring themes

Also if you are hunting down individual issues and not the trade then you need to also hunt down something called Superman 3D because if you don't the final issue of Final Crisis makes no sense.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just read Morrisons Batman and Robin, in general. Definitely my favorite Batman run ever, and definitely the book that made me care at all about Dick Grayson. Batman being the fun half, and Robin being super dark was such a fun juxtaposition.

Dick should just be Batman full time. I am glad they still remember to make Dick and Daiman buddies in the stuff they have done after.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Are there any stand out Batman stories with Dick Grayson as Robin heavily featured in them. I just realized I'm not sure if I've ever read a comic where he's Robin aside from Batman '66 and maybe a couple issues of Batman Adventures my dad randomly bought me when I was a kid.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Madkal posted:

Hold on there. Dissenting opinion coming in. You DON'T have to read Final Crisis and the Batman stuff related to Final Crisis is covered is already covered in 2 issues of Batman from Morrison's run.
Further dissenting opinion Final Crisis can be....dense. There are a lot of characters that may require a bit of knowledge to know about and depending how deep a read you want of the the comic you should probably know about New Gods/Forever People/obscure Justice League villains/Morrison's love of metafiction/Morrisons love of recurring themes

Also if you are hunting down individual issues and not the trade then you need to also hunt down something called Superman 3D because if you don't the final issue of Final Crisis makes no sense.

I’m probably the biggest Morrison mark here, but I agree with this 100%. It’s worth reading, but you totally don’t have to if you’re just trying to stick with Batman, and don’t want to pay for it.

Where are you currently at in your Batman reading, OscarDiggs?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Are there any stand out Batman stories with Dick Grayson as Robin heavily featured in them. I just realized I'm not sure if I've ever read a comic where he's Robin aside from Batman '66 and maybe a couple issues of Batman Adventures my dad randomly bought me when I was a kid.

This made me realize that I have a huge blind spot when it comes to Grayson-Robin. When I was reading comics Tim was Robin (and the best one), and the two Batman stories I really like that didn't feature Tim as Robin but had great Robin moments both involved Jason loving Todd (those two being Batman: Cult and Superman: For the man who has everything). As far as Dick Grayson as Robin stories that I enjoyed, there was a Robin: Year One that came out about 20 years ago that was pretty good (to go along with this there was Robin: Zero Year issue where Nightwing tells Tim about his first encounter with Two Face that I really liked), and Batman: Dark Victory, which is kind of like a retelling of Robin Year One. Now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever read a Batman comic that came out before the 1980's.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

This made me realize that I have a huge blind spot when it comes to Grayson-Robin. When I was reading comics Tim was Robin (and the best one), and the two Batman stories I really like that didn't feature Tim as Robin but had great Robin moments both involved Jason loving Todd (those two being Batman: Cult and Superman: For the man who has everything). As far as Dick Grayson as Robin stories that I enjoyed, there was a Robin: Year One that came out about 20 years ago that was pretty good (to go along with this there was Robin: Zero Year issue where Nightwing tells Tim about his first encounter with Two Face that I really liked), and Batman: Dark Victory, which is kind of like a retelling of Robin Year One. Now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever read a Batman comic that came out before the 1980's.

Yeah, I was thinking about it and realized 99% of my exposure to Dick Grayson as Robin is from tv and movies. I've almost certainly spent more time watching Chris O'Donnell play Dick Grayson/Robin than I have reading comics with him in it.

I read a Neal Adam's collection of Batman stories and it's either solo stuff or him teaming up with other super heroes, no Robin. There was one story where an Alien thespian decides to trick Batman and Superman into fighting each other, so Batman teams up with Supergirl and Superman teams up with Batgirl, still no Robin.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

How Wonderful! posted:

It's really good, but I'm curious if the collected editions tidy up some of the rushed coloring and stuff? I sort of remember stuff like Milo Norman being white and just generally a sense of the technical process being hurried along, albeit not on the level of Infinite Crisis' ending.
If I recall correctly, at least one reprint of it redid the color so that Shilo Norman was black.

They also made Sonny Sumo black for good measure.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Okay then.

This

Is what Wikipedia says constitutes Final Crises. Does that seem all correct?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OscarDiggs posted:

Okay then.

This

Is what Wikipedia says constitutes Final Crises. Does that seem all correct?

I think you just need the Batman stuff, Final Crisis itself and the Superman Beyond if you're reading this mostly as a Batman thing.

Edit: I just realized that list doesn't seem to actually include Final Crisis. I don't mean all the offshoots (except Superman Beyond) but the actual comic titled "Final Crisis" with no subtitle.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I think you just need the Batman stuff, Final Crisis itself and the Superman Beyond if you're reading this mostly as a Batman thing.

Edit: I just realized that list doesn't seem to actually include Final Crisis. I don't mean all the offshoots (except Superman Beyond) but the actual comic titled "Final Crisis" with no subtitle.

Ive been looking at and for the entirely wrong thing then!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If you just want Batman related stuff you can read Batman 701-702 and that pretty much covers everything Batman related in Final Crisis. If you want Final Crisis stuff then you want the main mini and Superman Beyond 3D (I guess Submit/Resist too). Everything else is....well everything else. The Red Lantern stuff is what was going on with the Green Lanterns during Final Crisis, Requiem was....well the death of a major character people forgot about soon after the event, Revelations in a sort of ending for Gotham Central.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OscarDiggs posted:

Ive been looking at and for the entirely wrong thing then!

This
https://www.amazon.com/Final-Crisis...96746856&sr=8-3

or this
https://www.amazon.com/Final-Crisis-New-Grant-Morrison/dp/140124517X/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=final+crisis&qid=1596746856&sr=8-4

will do yah straight, If you have access to a decently sized library system they might have a copy of one, or they both have comixology editions if you're doing the tablet thing.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Skwirl posted:

This
https://www.amazon.com/Final-Crisis...96746856&sr=8-3

or this
https://www.amazon.com/Final-Crisis-New-Grant-Morrison/dp/140124517X/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=final+crisis&qid=1596746856&sr=8-4

will do yah straight, If you have access to a decently sized library system they might have a copy of one, or they both have comixology editions if you're doing the tablet thing.

Okay, that will do quite nicely. Thanks!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OscarDiggs posted:

Okay, that will do quite nicely. Thanks!

Main thing is earlier editions didn't include the Superman Beyond stuff which is sorta necessary for the end to make any sense.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Skwirl posted:

Main thing is earlier editions didn't include the Superman Beyond stuff which is sorta necessary for the end to make any sense.

i don't think there was any collected edition that didn't include Superman Beyond. i vaguely recall that the original hardcover collection circa 2009 was first announced without it, but that DC managed to come to its senses before actually releasing it

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I think my one also had Submit? Was that the one-shot with Black Lightning?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Xelkelvos posted:

DC made a Summer Cyborg special btw

Skwirl posted:

That Apollo and Midnighter in the second panel?

I don't buy it. That smile is much too earnest and lovable to be Midnighter. :v:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh my God this Death Metal one-shot with the Secret ORIGIN of the BatManhattan is so terrible. It's really the jumped shark moment of all this bullshit, even if the concept of reality/multiverse as a shotgun to the heart of cosmic deities could work.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't mind a lot of Death Metal but yeah that whole one shot was pretty awful.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

But don't you see? The Batman Who Laughs is so awesome that he can kill Dr. Manhattan! Isn't he the coolest character ever???

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dan Didio posted:

I think my one also had Submit? Was that the one-shot with Black Lightning?

Yeah, it wasn’t really anything important to the main plot, but it was written by Morrison. It gives a good view from the street.

Plus, there’s probably something about a book called Submit having an all black cast.

I haven’t read Final Crisis in six or seven years. I should probably give it a reread sometime soon.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 9, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Didn't Submit have some important stuff with Metron and the Tattooed Man?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Didn't Submit have some important stuff with Metron and the Tattooed Man?

Like most of Final Crisis, it’s not 100 per cent necessary, but is a nice fleshing out.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/thedcnation/status/1291826371644203008

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

I read the comments why in the gently caress did I read the comments.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That is pretty rad, backdrop’s a little whatever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mohawk Potato posted:

I read the comments why in the gently caress did I read the comments.

The first comment I saw was from Mike S. Miller so I knew I was in for quite a time.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Not my cup of tea. But why is it a rooster teeth variant? You can only get it from them? I didn't know they had comic stores.

Edit: The Brain and Mahla scene was kinda sweet.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 9, 2020

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Anyone else read Si Spurrier's JLA arc and feel like it was a throwback to a different era? Even the artwork felt...I don't want to say dated...but a pastiche of something that could have come out in the 70s. Ditto for the story and the way the characters were acting.
This isn't really a "timeless" story and felt really hokey in places. I can understand what Spurrier was going for but it was a bit too...yea I will say dated.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The worst replies to that tweet are the ones that are like, "proof that the SJWs have ruined comics, here's what REAL comics look like!" and then it's a picture of a Tarot-tier titty lady called something like White Dove: The Sexblade Chronicle.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is that the same rooster teeth that made those halo 1 videos

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

site posted:

Is that the same rooster teeth that made those halo 1 videos

No no, this is Warner Brothers' Warnermedia's Otter Media's Rooster Teeth

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

I'm nearly finished with New 52 Batman, and afterwards I'm gonna see about starting on Morrisons run. How good are the other New 53 batman bookslike Detective Comics and Batgirl? Or would it be better so go into Rebirth Batman?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

OscarDiggs posted:

I'm nearly finished with New 52 Batman, and afterwards I'm gonna see about starting on Morrisons run. How good are the other New 53 batman bookslike Detective Comics and Batgirl? Or would it be better so go into Rebirth Batman?

Batman and Robin by Tomasi is solid. If you liked Snyder's Batman run he did a....12 issue run called All-Star Batman which is fairly stand alone.
Batgirl had a big boost with Batgirl of Burnside. I wasn't a huge fan of the run but others were. Grayson is a fun spy comic read (and tangently connected to Morrison's run).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Madkal posted:

Batman and Robin by Tomasi is solid. If you liked Snyder's Batman run he did a....12 issue run called All-Star Batman which is fairly stand alone.
Batgirl had a big boost with Batgirl of Burnside. I wasn't a huge fan of the run but others were. Grayson is a fun spy comic read (and tangently connected to Morrison's run).

What do I need before going into Grayson? I know people think he died which is why he could get recruited into the big spy organisation but that's not happened in the books I've read yet.

Also, I can't believe what happened in Endgame. I kept expecting the "It was all a dream Induced by fear toxin" get out card.

EDIT: Hahahaha oh god. How many gallons of steriods did they give Gordon?

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 9, 2020