Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Another Bill posted:

I was skeptical too but I dunno, this doctor seemed to know their poo poo. They also told me to straight up ignore the five day isolation and stay in for ten days because the five days was designated for political and economic reasons not a medical reasons. That bought a lot of credibility with me.

I heard from some ER Doc's today that starting next week the isolation period for us healthcare workers is being extended to 7 days instead of 5 so lol

Good there's Doc's that find out the reason for this poo poo instead of reciting what a memo tells them. That's a good Doc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

The person who exposed us all tested negative for five days so yeah rapid tests mean poo poo all, and yet you should still do them daily for like a week if you think you've been exposed.

did they do the updated protocol, though? I mean rapid tests are perfect but they’re not exactly terrible, either

Another Bill posted:

I was skeptical too but I dunno, this doctor seemed to know their poo poo. They also told me to straight up ignore the five day isolation and stay in for ten days because the five days was designated for political and economic reasons not a medical reasons. That bought a lot of credibility with me.

sure that’s good to hear because it’s true. but the pcr thing I still don’t buy without more confirmation

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I just remmebered she said it has to do with vaccinations suppressing the viral load, making it harder to catch on all tests, and that's why the tests are becoming increasingly unreliable.

Just one doctor said this to me and I'm some anonymous guy on the internet so take with as many grains salt as you deem appropriate. I do wish someone from public health would come out and day rapid tests aren't as reliable as they previously were though. That seems like important news.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i thought the advice for some time had been "if you test positive, you have covid. if you test negative, you might have covid"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

infernal machines posted:

i thought the advice for some time had been "if you test positive, you have covid. if you test negative, you might have covid"

it's been supplanted with new advice: covid doesn't exist

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oh, well, testing is kinda moot then, isn't it?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/tommy_slick/status/1510026679351054338?s=21&t=A4KAxZt4XJPZRalmE-oPZg

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

love it when conservative politicians show to the world that in spite of their populist rhetoric, they have never done commoner things like fill up their own car in their life

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Every morning I wake up and open palm slam a swab into my throat via my nose.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Open er up
*Throws pack of five tests into a crowd of losers at Walmart*
Good luck losers!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

sounds about right

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

wife was sick all week with it and is finally negative, I tested positive yesterday and just going thru it

so far just runny nose which is raw from blowing but otherwise feeling fine.

it ripped thru our friends circle and we think one of the nurses brought it in since she was first positive after a party we had the night before

thank the devil for this vaccine tho

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They switched CSPAM and D&D and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the canpol threads

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Danny LaFever posted:

They switched CSPAM and D&D and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the canpol threads

they are functionally identical

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Dreylad posted:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Dreylad posted:

That's why I usually avoid this one.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Often wrong Soong?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Bilirubin posted:

Often wrong Soong?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I vaguely remember people saying awhile back that rapid tests are very useful at the population level, less so for the individual. I'm sorta hoping that's not true as we're not at all keeping track of results!

also nova scotia officially has more covid deaths since Jan 4, 2022 than before. impressive that we can learn exactly enough about a novel disease to decide how many people should die from it

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Danny LaFever posted:

but I don't post in the other thread. Is there a duplicate rutibex :ohdear:

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Data would absolutely vote for Chrystia Freeland so this tracks

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Pretty much. D&D Canpol is the only subforum I visit in Debate and Discussion.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
too bad there isn't a GBS CanPol that could be B4

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dreylad posted:

too bad there isn't a GBS CanPol that could be B4

~~~~be the change you want to see~~~~

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

star trek is for assholes

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DariusLikewise posted:

star trek is for assholes

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I never knew the difference and post in both, seeing it as being nice that I have two distinct threads to talk in :).

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i usually dont get heckled in cspam but here in this thread and if i somehow end up in dnd its about a 50/50 chance that my dumb poo poo posting is gonna piss someone off

its like when ur sitting in your boxers eating beef jerky and you accidently eat the desiccant pouch, dnd and this thread are like that

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Now that the mask mandates are over, so is COVID. It doesn't matter how many people end up in the hospital because most of those people are elderly and disabled and our country is perfectly happy to let them die, we're not China or something.

You'll still have the small number of people who spend the rest of their lives worrying about COVID to protect their doomed loved ones but the pandemic is pretty much over for all that most people actually care.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

blatman posted:

its like when ur sitting in your boxers eating beef jerky and you accidently eat the desiccant pouch

how often do you find yourself in this situation

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

my gaming calluses insulate me from the tactile sensitivity required to distinguish victuals from preservative hygroscopic media

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Another Bill posted:

I just remmebered she said it has to do with vaccinations suppressing the viral load, making it harder to catch on all tests, and that's why the tests are becoming increasingly unreliable.

Just one doctor said this to me and I'm some anonymous guy on the internet so take with as many grains salt as you deem appropriate. I do wish someone from public health would come out and day rapid tests aren't as reliable as they previously were though. That seems like important news.

the thing is that we don’t actually know because the evidence is probably not going to be very accurate given the fact that we don’t know how many people are testing and their results. it’s all anecdotal.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

vyelkin posted:

how often do you find yourself in this situation

the normal frequency

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/danjdarrah/status/1509701778178293761

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

gently caress I love shawarma

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

money can be exchanged for goods and services

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Dreylad posted:

both United Church of Canada and Anglican Churches apologized back in the 90s. The primate or whatever for the Anglican Church of Canada issued the apologize.

Yeah, as an outside person who is open to correction, the United Church actually seems to have tried to an extent that is not normal for settler institutions. Not meaning they've necessarily done everything, but they actually seem to have made an attempt to look at themselves and do something. And they seem to try to set examples for other organizations to follow, as well.

They've done other things, but they seem to have found an interesting way to be culpable and also support their indigenous members. There is now an indigenous ministry within the church that is structured as a self governing church within a church and is free to define spirituality, ministry and other pretty fundamental things on its own. It has guaranteed representation on the United Church governing groups, and appears to consult with but not be directly governed by those groups.

I can't speak to the theology of it all, but it's interesting to me because you now can have a situation where the structure of the church can apologize for institutional issues and speak for change from the standpoint of an organization that was fundamentally part of a bunch of lovely things, and there is now a separate part of the church that can speak for the people who were wronged (because it's them) and advocate for them. Theoretically the two groups can learn from each other and can speak to amplify each others voices.

Until learning about that, I hadn't put a lot of thought into how lovely it must actually be for current indigenous members of some of these churches, trying to reconcile their identities.

That being said, I have no idea how effective this actually is internally, how well it works for those within the indigenous ministries or anything like that. I also don't know if any of this really affects reconciliation for those outside the boundaries of the united church. It also completely ignores the core problematic bit of creating space in the colonizing structure for the people being colonized. Like, is this good? I don't know. It's better than earlier situations, but it's probably a long way from good.

T.C. has issued a correction as of 22:00 on Apr 2, 2022

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

T.C. posted:

That being said, I have no idea how effective this actually is internally, how well it works for those within the indigenous ministries or anything like that. I also don't know if any of this really affects reconciliation for those outside the boundaries of the united church. It also completely ignores the core problematic bit of creating space in the colonizing structure for the people being colonized. Like, is this good? I don't know. It's better than earlier situations, but it's probably a long way from good.

I was raised in the UCC, studied some of their history in school, so I'm biased to some extent but not exactly attached to the church anymore but: generally speaking it's quite a progressive church these days, with all those politics entail. They opened up their archives fully to researches on residential schools even when they were closed to the public due to moving across town in Toronto, something that is pretty expensive and time consuming. They've been about as open and upfront about the wrongs that were done and haven't shied away from owning all of it. The church has always had a democratically elected council and leader, and honestly I think that helps make the church more responsive at times. The institutional changes you mention are also really important and good.

That being said, if you want to be cynical about it, the church was going to go bankrupt if the residential school legal cases had gone that way in the 90s instead of the settlement that established the TRC and other provisions that were less about material recompense. And as the church was created out of several protestant churches in 1925, it inherited the various residential schools run by those various denominations (mainly the Methodist) ones, which can lead to some vagueness about which denomination should bear responsibility for what part of the school's history which is all really beside the point.

Nonetheless I agree that they've done the best of any religious institution in Canada and their efforts to address it go way beyond appearing sad and sorry about the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000
My main memory of being dragged to a UCC every Sunday by my mom was that ahead of the 80s gay thing our minister saying that he supported it, all god's children &c &c &c, and the congregation promptly fired him. On the bright side from my memories the congregation was ~80% old people so they are all dead now!