Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The level of emotion this episode inspires in some people still confuses me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Seriously. It's cheesy Doctor Who. It's silly and weird and she hosed a wasp, but I truly don't understand the rage this brings about.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's really crap at even being mediocre.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

This next episode is the first ever episode of Doctor Who I ever saw. I just remember being very, very confused as to what I was watching. For obvious reasons I didn't really get into the show until years later.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Well it sounds like picking C for this episode was definitely wrong. I'm just not sure which way...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm going to vote for D.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

cool kids inc. posted:

Seriously. It's cheesy Doctor Who. It's silly and weird and she hosed a wasp, but I truly don't understand the rage this brings about.

Neither do I. When I think of "boilerplate Doctor Who cheese" I think of this episode. It knows exactly what it wants to be and it succeeds.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

It knows exactly what it wants to be and it succeeds.

It doesn't even remain consistent within its own conceit

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I actually liked this episode, for two reasons:

1) The little re-enactments of the fictions being spun.

2) It actually made me interested in it's historical subject.

That said, the atmosphere was terribly wrong for a UFOs And Aliens show, even one as flexible as Doctor Who. Historical accuracy be damned, it felt a little too much like posh people at tea time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah, it was a bad episode but I didn't think it was remarkable. It wad 42 or Idiot Lantern rather than Voyage of the Damned or Last of the Time Lords.

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.
I like this episode.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I voted A because I remembered his Christmas Invasion review and this episode is goofy as hell.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, gently caress the haters, Unicorn and the Wasp is goofy as gently caress and I love it :colbert: Granted, 80% of that is the poison charades scene, but that scene's good enough for me to outdo much of the episode's other failings.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I don't think it wanted to be consistent though, but that's just the impression I got. I got the impression it just wanted to be a goofy-as-gently caress "Doctor visits another historical figure" story. I mean I'd personally rank it above the Dickens episode.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who
"The Unicorn and the Wasp"
Series 4, Episode 7

is

Incredible.

It might be the best episode of Doctor Who that I've ever seen. I'm still riding the high off of that episode, which is so amazingly, brilliantly stupid it elevates itself to work of art status. It's an incredible episode that, just like the much-vaunted "Christmas Invasion", knows exactly what type of show Doctor Who wants to, and quite frankly, should be, and works tirelessly to achieve its goals.

I love dumb-rear end fuckin' stupid as hell poo poo, and this episode- this glorious majesty of an episode of television- is 100% stupid, 100% knows it, and is 100% sincere in its stupid as hell bullshit. It is an amazing episode. Period. End of loving story.

"The Unicorn and the Wasp" opens to The Doctor and Donna landing in 1920s London, where they attend a party held by Lady Eddison (Felicity Kendal) and her husband Colonel Hugh (Christopher Benjamin). One of the invited guests just happens to be Agatha Christie (Fenella Woolgar), whom The Doctor is very excited to meet- that is, until it's discovered that one of the partygoers, Professor Peach, has been murdered in the study, with a pipe. And thus kicks off the episode, a very Who-ish riff on every locked room murder mystery, every episode of Murder, She Wrote, and especially every story that Agatha Christie has ever written.

The resolution to who is the murderer is absolutely ridiculous- to wit, Lady Eddison went to India and met an alien wasp (a Vespiform, as they're called) who had taken human form to "gather data on Earth", who she then fell in love and...hosed, in one night, which then the Vespiform man revealed who he was and gave her his locket. The Vespiform dude died literally the next day, Lady Eddison returned home pregnant from her one-night stand, then had her baby privately in her room before giving it up for adoption. The baby eventually grew up to to be Reverend Golightly (Tom Goodman-Hill), who much like the Hulk accessed his crazy killer wasp side when a couple of thieves tried to steal from his church. Unfortunately, discovering who he is unleashed the locket, which was more accurately a time capsule for thoughts, which informed him of who he is (and who his mother was) and also transferred the thoughts of the wearer of the locket (Lady Eddison), who was reading...an Agatha Christie novel, of course. And thus, Reverend Golightly decided to stage a series of murders to resemble Agatha Christie scenes.

It's...it's an utterly insane, unbelievably convoluted backstory to who the murderer is and what his motivation is.

Which is rather the point; just like "The Unquiet Dead" and "The Shakespeare Code", "The Unicorn and the Wasp" is an episode where one of the main characters The Doctor and his Companion interact with is a famous author; except in this case, Agatha Christie is distinctly of a lower acclaim "tier" than either Shakespeare or Dickens. The latter two are considered part of the pantheon of greatest writers of all time; their episodes treat them as the brilliant visionaries they were, with the respect they earned. Agatha Christie is still treated incredibly well by the story, but her works were distinctly of a lower critical quality than Shakespeare or Dickens; she was important, she was revolutionary, she helped invent and subsequently popularize murder mystery as a genre, but if they treated Christie's oeuvre as some unimpeachable collection of writing greatness it would not only be dishonest it would be disrespectful to her memory.

Christie was, as an author, great at setting up stories and mysteries, and created some incredibly memorable characters, but her resolutions were always a bit forced and out there. As an author, Christie was...well, she had cheesy resolutions, ones that made every single thing that happened beforehand somehow plot-crucial in a way that defied belief. Which was the point of why she was so good, but having her set up as this god of writing would've been dishonest, and "The Unicorn and the Wasp" does Agatha Christie right, just like how "The Unquiet Dead" and "The Shakespeare Code" did Dickens and Shakespeare right, by crafting a story with a ludicrous resolution that just about defies belief based off a locked-room murder mystery. This is what Christie is, and "The Unicorn and the Wasp" completely recognizes what about Christie's novels was appealing.

This is Doctor Who doing Christie, and when you think about it this tv show and that famous author go together like peanut butter and murderous jelly. Who can be, and often is, just as absurd as any of her works, with just as ludicrous and unbelievable of resolutions; Christie was limited by the time period in which she wrote and having to ground it in at least semi-plausible reality; Doctor Who has no such restrictions, so the murderer turning out to be a wasp-human hybrid makes sense both as an homage to Christie's works and within the bounds of the Who universe as a whole.

Essentially, the episode just makes sense. I'm able to buy the insane plot turns and absolutely flooring "sit in the sitting room as the detective explains who the murderer is and their motivations" finale because it's emblematic of murder mysteries as a whole. It's an episode that knows exactly what sort of genre it is operating in and the script supports that, it dives straight in. So that's how you get stuff that would normally be eye-rollingly bad, like all the suspects giving their alibis as the screen transitions are literally that terrible, hacky water-fade screen transition as that stock chord of a harp plays, are in fact amazing because it helps set the tone of the episode.

This is an episode that in all sense and forms- from act structure to dialog to character archetypes to stuff like character names and sets and scene progression- all of this are Murder, She Wrote riffs, they're scenes from Agatha Christie novels. "The Unicorn and the Wasp" is trying, at all times, to craft its own sci-fi version of those famous stories and completely succeeds, and because of it its nonsense plot resolution premised on about a billion twists and hidden motives make sense. It wouldn't be a murder mystery if the resolution wasn't as convoluted as it was, and because of it it's downright brilliant. Brilliantly stupid, brilliantly insane, but brilliant all the same.

It also helps that the tone is essentially stuck at "caper" at all times. After the supposedly-serious Sontaran two-parter and the relatively serious "Doctor's Daughter", this is a light and straight-forward episode of television that understands that there's a cheesy likability to Christie's novels and various other murder-mystery stories that would require a sheen of the farcical, so you get incredible scenes and sequences like The Doctor trying to counteract being poisoned- perhaps the single best comedic bit Doctor Who has done to this point -or Donna trying desperately to keep track of who, exactly, was the murderer during the climax that made the episode all the more likable.

It never crosses the line into intentional parody, I think; this never felt like Sharknado, where the writing staff was in on the joke and playing it up for irony's sake; this felt like a straightforward Who story, modelled after and involving Agatha Christie, that knew what tone it should set and was able to poke fun at both itself and the tropes that it was trading in while still keeping everything relatively straight.

And that's why the episode is so great; it keeps command of tone and focus in a way that most episodes of Who simply don't, and it knows what specific televistic language it should be engaging in as a loving homage to murder mysteries. Plus it's just fun and hilarious and ridiculous and stupid that makes it goddamn lovable, so gently caress you all. This episode rules and gets an A.

Grade: A

Random Thoughts:
  • Donna Status: Still Owns.
  • Donna, besides owning like heck, is also absolutely wondrous this episode and helps make it, especially when directly compared to Rose and Martha in their little "meet a famous author in their time period" episodes. The fact that she simply grabs the locket and throws it in the water is a really great, no-nonsense solution to the climax that completely fits Donna's personality.
  • I think Christie's little scenes wondering about her legacy (especially as a specific callback to Dickens' worrying about the same thing in "The Unquiet Dead") were actually poignant. I think "The Unicorn and the Wasp" actually had a legit, interesting point of view of the merits of being a commercially successful writer over a critically successful one that didn't feel patronizing or elitist. I think it also was able to walk that specific line of recognizing that Agatha Christie didn't exactly write War and Peace while still showing how her works still had literary value in a way that didn't feel unnecessarily hagiographic.
  • Fenella Woolgar as Agatha Christie was a loving delight. I especially loved how she was an independent, self-reliant woman who played the straight man to The Doctor and reined him in in a way that was distinctly different than the way Donna does (or did in this episode). The Donna/Doctor/Agatha Christie trio was especially strong this episode and part of why it was such a joy to watch.
  • I'm wondering why the Unicorn stuff was included, I hope it was an intentional red herring in the vein of any good murder-mystery story because on its own it doesn't really stand up, but as a B-plot written as an homage to Agatha Christie et cetera it totally works.
  • The Doctor: "Well, no-one knows how they're going to be remembered, all you can do is hope for the best. Maybe that's what kept her writing. Same thing keeps me travelling. Onwards?" Donna: "Onwards." (I really liked how the final scene of the episode was able to juxtapose the journey that Agatha Christie had been on within the episode with The Doctor's continuous journeys on the show so as to make the episode make symbolic sense and dimensionalize The Doctor's character as a whole.)
  • The Doctor: "'HOW IS 'HARVEY WALLBANGER' ONE WORD?!"
  • Donna: "I mean that's like meeting Charles Dickens...and he's surrounded by ghosts...at Christmas."
  • Donna: "Good afternoon, my lady. Topping day, what? Spiffing. Top hole." The Doctor: "No no no no, no. No. Don't do that. Don't."
  • The Doctor: "You fool me every time. WELL, almost every time. WELL, once or twice. Well...once. But it was a good one."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I am a huge grump about this episode, mainly because, contrary to Toxx's review, it absolutely does not feel like a cozy of any sort and certainly not a Christie novel. It's like they didn't even bother watch an episode of Poirot, let alone crack open Curtain and read a few pages. I acknowledge that this is just because I'm an enormous Christie nerd and that episode would probably have been fun otherwise, but there are some great Agatha Christie riffs (in Doctor Who even!) and this isn't one of them.

I do love the ridiculous pantomime scene in which he expels the poison. I'd probably love the episode if it didn't purport to be a tribute to a genre and just completely and totally blow it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So this episode was the second episode of Doctor Who I ever saw. My first exposure had happened about a year and a half earlier, and was so disastrous it was enough to convince me to swear never watch the show again. But I ended up as a captive audience to watch this episode as part of a student run college course on murder mysteries. Most weeks we watched and discussed actual murder mystery TV shows, but the girl running the class was a big Doctor Who fan (I didn't hold it against her :v: and we later became good friends) and so one week she showed us this episode because, well... Agatha Christie! It's tangentially related!

I already hated Tennant and Tate from my first taste of Who so the ridiculousness of this episode did nothing to change my opinion. Things like the poisoning and, of course, the loving giant wasp killing people just had me rolling my eyes at how stupid it all was. But the real reason I didn't like the episode is that I really like murder mysteries in general and Agatha Christie in particular. This episode is nothing like a good mystery, and the Christie references are groan worthy and awful. I don't really agree with Occ that this episode "gets" Christie. I think they just threw in a bunch of references and called it a day.

It would be another half a year before I was finally talked into watching a third episode of the show, which finally managed to turn me around. But that's still to come.

Honestly I don’t hate this episode anymore. I can appreciate it now in a way I couldn’t out of the context of what Doctor Who is. It still has negative connotations in my mind when I think of it though because of how terrible a second impression it was. Despite my lingering dislike of this episode, this was the only time I actually tried to correct for my own biases in the Toxxtorwho contest, since I figured someone without my particular baggage, who already enjoys when the show is extremely silly might like it more than I did. Glad to see I made the right choice, though I didn’t go quiiiiite far enough.

Bicyclops posted:

I am a huge grump about this episode, mainly because, contrary to Toxx's review, it absolutely does not feel like a cozy of any sort and certainly not a Christie novel. It's like they didn't even bother watch an episode of Poirot, let alone crack open Curtain and read a few pages. I acknowledge that this is just because I'm an enormous Christie nerd and that episode would probably have been fun otherwise, but there are some great Agatha Christie riffs (in Doctor Who even!) and this isn't one of them.

I do love the ridiculous pantomime scene in which he expels the poison. I'd probably love the episode if it didn't purport to be a tribute to a genre and just completely and totally blow it.

E: Beaten by this which is pretty much exactly how I feel about it. I like some of the dumb and silly things that I initially hated, but the Christie fan within me scorns their attempt at a tribute.

I still hate the loving poison scene though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I don't care how awesome you thought the episode was, how could you avoid giving this episode a "B"?

I put money on the pun being irresistible. :negative: (Well, not money or even anything I actually care about.)

I agree with you that this episode is fun for how playful it is. I don't think it's top tier material, but it's definitely on the good side of Doctor Who to me and I generally hate the "Doctor meets famous person and does everything for them" stories. Maybe it's because this one did a better job of connecting to the general feel of Christie story than something like The Shakespeare Code did.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 28, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Doctor Who
Series 4, Episode 7

Hey, kids! Are you tired of sub-par posting? Does your every attempt as bemused nonchalance fall flat? Do you hit "Reply" and wonder briefly if readers will think you're so far down the autism spectrum that you couldn't see neurotypicality with the Hubble Telescope? Do you want to lengthen the laughs, shorten your rap sheet, dance around your points and sling out analogies like a cardsharp Fred Astaire? Then read on for this ONE WEIRD TIP that the MODS don't want you to know!

There is one phrase in this sad lumpen creature we call Internet discourse that slithers unnoticed by many, and that is "I don't get/see/understand [x]." It's true - stumble over that phrase and nine times out of ten, [x] will be a point so blindingly obvious, so thoroughly explained, that the mere fact of this objection will lead you to either believe the poster is taking the piss or fervently wish that they are. People who use this phrase are as turkeys staring into the rain, gargling that they just don't get why oxygen is such a big deal to some people. Eliminate your usage of this phrase, and scads of posting honeys will show up swooning at your doorstep, possibly.

I write this preface so that you'll all understand the gravity of this next statement: I dearly, sincerely, really, and truly do not get why "The Unicorn and the Wasp" is so reviled by Doctor Who fans. Even the objections raised within this very thread range from understandable but weirdly specific (it doesn't effectively capture that Christie feel) to barely coherent (it's "crap at being mediocre," that is scarcely English). As the third of nu-Who's "famous author" episodes, "The Unicorn and the Wasp" takes a fairly risky approach with tone and subject matter, stripping down its usual run-and-shout premise to a slow-boiling parlor-room mystery featuring, because this is Doctor Who, an enormous CGI wasp as the antagonist. But because that running and shouting is often the weakest part of Who, and because this episode makes up for its lack by dialing up the silliness and schtick between its actors, "The Unicorn and the Wasp" comes out as one of the series' clearest examples of giddy, stupid fun, no matter how contentious it may be to some people.

Occ complained in "The Shakespeare Code" that one of the Davies era's more irritating conceits was to take some magical or superstitious device and contort it until it fit within the soft sci-fi narrative of Who in general. "The Unicorn and the Wasp" does something similar, but with an entire plot structure instead of just a superstition, and happily comes out much better for it. Donna notes early on that there's something seriously off with the events transpiring in this sunny manor (Professor Peach, in the library, with a lead pipe), and from there the tedious cliches and ever-mounting series of potboiler mystery contrivances continue so persistently that they become absurdly surreal instead of just trite - this is a complete farce of an episode even by Who's standards, and neither the script nor the actors make any attempt to conceal it. The revelation of what's imposed this narrative structure on the house, a telepathic time-capsule necklace that accidentally spewed Agatha Christie's entire oeuvre into the mind of an angry orphan wasp-man, just adds to the absurdity (and makes for a hilarious sentence). The Dickens and Shakespeare episodes tried to wave away the fact that their plots seemed bizarrely apt for their respective writers, but "The Unicorn and the Wasp" puts that fact front-and-center, and provides a justification that tonally matches the episode itself. The whole script is much better-assembled than its cheesy nature suggests.

That farcical aspect hits its peak in the final parlor-room scene, which is just a Blues Brothers-esque pileup of mystery cliches - the flapper is a Cockney master thief! the crippled master of the house could walk all along! I hosed A WASP! - with Donna sitting back the whole time and providing literal peanut-gallery commentary to the whole proceeding. The "villain reveal" bit of a mystery is always the one that readers anticipate most, so the Doctor fakes us out three separate times before finally accusing the Vicar. The hilarious buzzing-tic, wasp transformation, and car chase afterwards - in which you practically expect to see the Dover Boys driving in the opposite direction - seems to be almost an afterthought to this wonderful celebration of every shallow mystery-story cliche on record, and it takes place almost entirely in one room.

"The Unicorn and the Wasp" would be good if it was comedy all the way through, but there's a surprising bit of humanity and even thematic coherence that keeps the side cast from turning into the usual batch of dull corpses-to-be. The episode makes a point of mentioning the typical British social repression of the age, and every character lashes out against their secret issues in their own way. Obviously there's Clemency, who hosed a wasp and drinks to forget the pain of losing her wasp-child, and Golightly, the product of this steamy human-wasp tryst, but if you stripped away the wasp conceit and just had Golightly shank people instead it would still be the story of a lonely, embittered man lashing out against the woman who's struggled with the grief of giving up her son. Then you have the Colonel acting on his fears of impotence by acting crippled; Redmond, the independent flapper, who turns out to be even more independent than the other guests thought and not in the way they expected; and Roger's repeated trysts with the footman, which are prevented from becoming too tiresome by Robert getting dead at the halfway mark. At the center of it all sits Christie herself (and actress Fenella Woolgar makes it a hat trick of superbly acted old-timey authors), whose nerves are also wracked by what she is (a woman with an unfaithful husband), what she thinks herself to be (a purveyor of pulpy dime-store crap that'll be forgotten before the decade's out) and the Master Detective she's forced to become by the urgings of the plot. The general thread of appearances and social perception isn't exactly hard to spot, and the way the Doctor caps it all off - by saying that the stuffy British upper-class will be obligated to bury the events of this episode, but Christie's work will persevere because she struggles on in spite of her doubts - is neat and nicely inspirational.

Like "The Christmas Invasion," I could go on about the bits I like from this one. The detox bit between the Doctor and Donna is one of the best scenes in the revival (and notably, there's no wacky music or sound effects throughout the entire thing, probably because Tennant and Tate make them irrelevant). The Doctor carries around a giant novelty magnifying glass because why not. The Doctor's Charlemagne flashback continues the trend of his weird off-screen adventures involving a bow and arrow for some reason. Donna offs the Vespiform and cuts off the Doctor's pacifistic whining with three words. The Carrionites are still screaming and the Doctor's "C" chest is literally a sea-chest. It all adds up to one of the best lighthearted episodes I've seen in this stupid, stupid series, the kind that makes me bounce in my chair like a kid half my age, and the complaints against it will continue to mystify me - but not enough for me to lose sleep over it. They can just...buzz off.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I remember this episode being startlingly mediocre. I think I guessed an F even though I should have known better because everyone hates this and I figured they knew something I didn't know.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I always assumed this was a generally beloved episode since the people I knew all seemed to like it a lot.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I've always loved this one. The charades scene, the WASP loving a wasp, fuckin' DONNA...

It's good. :buddy:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I predict the most massive shift in the rankings due to these utter shenanigans.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

You know it still annoys me that they have that car chase in the episode the way they do. It's the 1920's! Cars are poo poo! You can't just jump into them and gallop off like that! I want to see the whole sequence held up because they have to stop and crank their engines first damnit!

It's me. I am the dumbest person.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Captain Fargle posted:

You know it still annoys me that they have that car chase in the episode the way they do. It's the 1920's! Cars are poo poo! You can't just jump into them and gallop off like that! I want to see the whole sequence held up because they have to stop and crank their engines first damnit!

It's me. I am the dumbest person.

Like that I actually don't mind because first of all, it's very The Big Four, plus giving absolutely not fucks about the context or even doing basic research about said context is very Agatha Christie. I think most people who dislike it don't because the humor just doesn't click for them, which is fine; humor is very subjective and this one's is very specific. I found a lot of it quite funny, but goddamn it, I wanted my Agatha Christie episode!

I am very aware that I am just a grump in this regard and have mentioned it every time it comes up in the main thread, although I remember this one having even less of a consensus than most, in that some people love it and some people hate it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The further we get in this season the more I realize all I remember of it is Donna owning. My grade shotgun reflects this.

Also the Dalek derail was inspiring. I saved the entire thing because I couldn't stop laughing at the picture in my head. I love Daleks.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

I actually liked this episode, for two reasons:

1) The little re-enactments of the fictions being spun.

2) It actually made me interested in it's historical subject.

That said, the atmosphere was terribly wrong for a UFOs And Aliens show, even one as flexible as Doctor Who. Historical accuracy be damned, it felt a little too much like posh people at tea time.

Please explain this, because I'm still loving laughing out loud over your comment because it is "posh people at tea time". With, you know, wasp-loving.

Did I miss something about your comment?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is ALMOST my least favorite episode of RTD's run, mostly because while I could usually overlook the seemingly deliberate one-dimensional characters, subplots that go nowhere, and how major scenes have no last emotional impact on the characters ("our only (known) son is dead, let's crack jokes in the parlor several minutes later while his body is still cooling in the dining room!")... but I can't excuse how piss-poor the editing and direction is. It's a really, really badly filmed episode of Who, especially towards the ends when the wheels just fall off completely and scenes are just jammed together without any sense of flow, continuity or sense.

It's a goddamn mess and I suspect they best they could salvage from what must have been the last dregs of their financial AND time budget.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I really disliked this one when I first watched it, to the extent that I don't think I've rewatched it since... but as a result, I don't think I've necessarily given it a fair shot. Maybe I'll rewatch it tomorrow and see what I think of it.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I feel the need to post this now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cFzABv0xMU

Overmayor
Jul 25, 2014
I knew Occ would like this one. It's right up his alley.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Welp, just as I was making a come-back Occ goes and gives this episode an A. This is another episode I'm going to have to go back and watch, because I definitely remember this episode being poo poo. Now I have to go back and see if that is just my memories overlooking the good parts of the episode, or if you're both being way too generous with its faults due to it being an Agatha Christie episode.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

to barely coherent (it's "crap at being mediocre," that is scarcely English)

Man rhetorical devices are so confusing aren't they

I dislike this one, much like I dislike Partners in Crime, because it is so unambitious yet fails at even that. It's a comedy episode that isn't funny. It's a tribute to Agatha Christie that fails at being a tribute. The direction and editing is poor, the CG is fairly dire. It tried to be mediocre, but failed. It's crap at being mediocre.

The CG on the wasp is a bit more forgiveable because I'm not sure how that would have been done well.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I like this episode. It's charming in a way that Black Orchid wasn't.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The Unicorn and the Wasp

Welcome back guess fans! I have to admit I wasn't expecting this, but it seems a fair few people did, lets see the spread

A
Senerio
One Swell Foop
Fucknag
NeuroticLich

B
idonotlikepeas
Random Stranger
Xenoborg
M_Gargantua
legoman727
Regy Rusty
Overmayor
Go RV!
Adder Moray

C
adhuin
Soothing Vapors
Evil Sagan
FreezingInferno
thexerox123
Ohtsam
Rarity

D
jng2058
Zaggitz
Sighence

F
BSam
Jsor
Weird Sandwich
Andwhatiseeisme

Giving us totals of
Adder Moray 6
Adhuin 7
ohtsam 7
jng2058 8
Senerio 8
Random Stranger 8
FreezingInferno 8
one Swell Foop 8
Fucknag 8
Go RV 8
Rarity 8
Soothing Vapors 9
Zaggitz 9
Evil Sagan 9
Legoman727 9
thexerox123 9
overmayor 9
M_Gargantua 10
Andwhatiseeisme 10
Regy Rusty 10
BSam 11
Xenoborg 11
NeuroticLich 11
Jsor 11
idonotlikepeas 12
Sighence 12
Weird Sandwich 15

Congtats to Adder for the lead and also Weird Sandwich for rocketing to the last place nice and convincingly

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Man rhetorical devices are so confusing aren't they

I dislike this one, much like I dislike Partners in Crime, because it is so unambitious yet fails at even that. It's a comedy episode that isn't funny. It's a tribute to Agatha Christie that fails at being a tribute. The direction and editing is poor, the CG is fairly dire. It tried to be mediocre, but failed. It's crap at being mediocre.

The CG on the wasp is a bit more forgiveable because I'm not sure how that would have been done well.

Yeah, this is why a lot of people don't like it. I'm not sure I'd call it unambitious - it tries very hard at being a humor episode and at being a Christie tribute, I have to give it credit for that - you just have to be careful with humor because there's nothing more cringeworthy than something that tries to make you laugh but doesn't, and it seems it didn't succeed on the humor end for a lot of people. The humor hits a little more for me (and, I expect, the people who like it), but it fails at its second objective.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RIP Weird Sandwich

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Once I saw this review posted, and it wasn't what I thought it was, I realized I had never actually seen this episode. On my first watch through recently, I was so excited to get to what was coming (people had told me about it) that I skipped over it, planning on coming back at the end of the season. Apparently I completely forgot to go back and watch it, making this the one episode in the entire revival I hadn't yet seen. I stopped reading and went and watched it real quick. (I'll take a minute to reflect on how nice it is to have a sudden out of no where "lost episode", at least for me, to watch for the first time.)

Holy poo poo this episode is fantastic.

I love basically everything about this. The fun murder mystery plot with it's lead pipes, and daggers in the back. The interplay between The Doctor and Christie. And apparently I had missed one of Donna's best episodes, because she's just incredible here. It's ridiculous fun. I agree completely with the rating.

Also, quick note, the next episode is the one I've been looking forward to Toxx getting to the most since he started. But we'll get into why once he gets there.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Also, quick note, the next episode is the one I've been looking forward to Toxx getting to the most since he started. But we'll get into why once he gets there.

We have a great stretch of episodes ahead :unsmith:

And then there are the loving specials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wow, he's a little over halfway through season 4 already. He'll be at the finale before Thanksgiving. How time flies.

• Locked thread