Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
nice but it's no erotic falconry dot com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Is The Pirate Bay good for torrenting or bad, because centralisation and readable links?

The Pirate Bay is fine if your using a vpn. If you want to feel special you have to climb the private tracker pyramid.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Ok hear me out, what about a coin that makes users mine carbon dioxide to turn into clean air. Anybody think about that huh?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

KinkyJohn posted:

Ok hear me out, what about a coin that makes users mine carbon dioxide to turn into clean air. Anybody think about that huh?

Some kind of CarbonCreditCoin?

My god, get Elon on the phone!

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Then burning fossil fuels is an incentive because more CO2 means more to mine.

Holding my breath to increase the bits.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

latinotwink1997 posted:

Then burning fossil fuels is an incentive because more CO2 means more to mine.

Holding my breath to increase the bits.

Lmao this is exactly what would happen.

I live in the burbs and often see recycling binners looking for cans driving a van from box to box and leaving it idling while they get out to check a box for deposit cans and wonder how it compares ROI to the average coin miner.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
If you think blockchain is revolutionary because the data can't be altered, I suggest you reflect on the fact that writing something in permanent marker or chiseling it on a stone tablet does not prevent the humans that refer to the information from throwing out your loving stone tablets and writing new ones if they need to.

Because the underlying representation doesn't matter, because it's ultimately just an abstraction, not the actual thing itself.

Like, most people cannot modify their computer systems. But if they gently caress up or it does stuff they don't like, they aren't constrained by it, they just get it fixed or get a new one.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
See: The DAO for a representation in the cryptocurrency space

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

D-Pad posted:

This guy jokes but last night I found out about a coin called Helium where you buy these wifi hotspots and they mine coin based on the coverage and data you provide not calculations. It sounds stupid. I also looked up several nearby hotspots within half a mile of me that made between $500-$1800 last month.

Everything will be mining soon.

That's the one where you purchase a black box from the company and plug it into your network, right?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

blunt posted:

Some kind of CarbonCreditCoin?

My god, get Elon on the phone!
CobraProblemCoin

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

D-Pad posted:

This guy jokes but last night I found out about a coin called Helium where you buy these wifi hotspots and they mine coin based on the coverage and data you provide not calculations. It sounds stupid. I also looked up several nearby hotspots within half a mile of me that made between $500-$1800 last month.

Everything will be mining soon.

I saw this too but it looks like it’s really dependent on your area. Also the devices are between $400-600 and they’re sold out or have 2-3 month lead times. The ones in my area were only getting around $40 so they better hope the coin price raises lol

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Asproigerosis posted:

What if we made crypto out of black holes? Unreadable! Unseeable!

All matter is to be consumed for coin.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
*me after a long workday of converting my loved ones, friends, and various strangers into coin* nice, I made .00000001 BHC today.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 24, 2021

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

For whoever was complaining about unreadable addresses in bitcoin, this service is for you.

For just $40 you can be buttmonger420.crypto*
https://unstoppabledomains.com/search?searchTerm=buttmonger420&searchRef=home

*Offer only valid while using compatible software.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like a great way to get your coins stolen because somewhere down the line the "unstoppable" Bitcorn address changes its target.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fame Douglas posted:

Sounds like a great way to get your coins stolen because somewhere down the line the "unstoppable" Bitcorn address changes its target.

See, that's why centralisation is bad. It's much better to fatfinger all your savings into a bitcoin shredder.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So no word on this yet?
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/05/china-advances-its-war-on-bitcoin-cracks-down-on-mining/

Gotta be good for bitcoin.

Right?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
lol most everything I hope has bounced back by double digits in the last 24. Some of it by the mid-double digits.

A few more days like this and I'll be back to where I was a few weeks ago.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bright Bart posted:

lol most everything I hope has bounced back by double digits in the last 24. Some of it by the mid-double digits.

A bounce in the last 24 hours doesn't have to mean the crash is over, there were plenty of positive days in 2018, too. Only time can tell.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 24, 2021

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Bright Bart posted:

I thought I bought the dip. But I bought the plateau before another freefall.

Bright Bart posted:

Bright Bart posted:

I thought I bought the dip. But I bought the plateau before another freefall.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

xtal posted:

I mean, it's a fundamental principle of computing and expected knowledge of any computer scientist in the last decade...

That's a fuckin lie

There would be an actual source if it was true

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Gonna be a lot of :smuggo:s but really how can one be smug about happening to guess right (for now) about something that is random chance at this point.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

China announced they're banning mining and they account for 75% of the power needed to keep the network processing going.
Good luck.

quote:

“The wording of the statement did not leave much leeway for cryptocurrency mining,” Li Yi, chief research fellow at the Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences, told the South China Morning Post. “When all mining activities are banned in China, it will be a turning point for the fate of bitcoin, as a large chunk of its processing power is taken out of the picture.”

The bitcoin network demands a staggering amount of energy. Today, it uses as much power as the Netherlands to maintain its normal operations. That load must be particularly obvious to the Chinese government, since a recent Nature Communications paper estimated that 75 percent of all bitcoin mining happens in China.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 24, 2021

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Bright Bart posted:

you have a gambling addition, fyi

von Vicious
Apr 2, 2015

I'M A GINGER BABY WwwWWaaAaAhhH!!!
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1396914548167233537

lol

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Backed by the PinkieSwear™ guarantee!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
lol that the ultimate ideas guy will help bootstrap change in the auto market and spaceflight but won't get crypto to budge an inch because it's fundamentally poo poo

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Big Beef City posted:

China announced they're banning mining and they account for 75% of the power needed to keep the network processing going.
Good luck.

Since when do trivialities such as this affect the price of coin?

Shumagorath posted:

lol that the ultimate ideas guy will help bootstrap change in the auto market and spaceflight but won't get crypto to budge an inch because it's fundamentally poo poo

He got a meme coin to go up over 500% in the blink of an eye and it's still well above 250% up over where it was just a short while back despite the crash.

Thank you magic space man!

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 24, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
We are going to use the green type of electricity elon please my family is dying post a meme where bitcoin is good I beg you please please please please

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
What if there was a cryptocoin that gets awarded not for wasting cpu cycles or drive space, but for doing something useful for others? Maybe call it “money”

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Pyromancer posted:

What if there was a cryptocoin that gets awarded not for wasting cpu cycles or drive space, but for doing something useful for others? Maybe call it “money”

Someone would invent a way to make more of the bad thing that is needed to do the good thing. If you have a cancer curing cryptocurrency someone will invent new cancers that they can cure so they make more money

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
how long until we hear a leak out of Tesla that Elon asked his team about running doge miners in the cars, like including it in a mandatory firmware update or something

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Code Jockey posted:

how long until we hear a leak out of Tesla that Elon asked his team about running doge miners in the cars, like including it in a mandatory firmware update or something

What if every mile driven generated a doge? Does your Tesla sit idle in your garage for most of the day? Well, let it loose on autopilot and let it go mining!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lmao, trying to save Tesla's bottom line, I see.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

From that article"

"At least one bitcoin observer said that he anticipates miners pushed out of China will set up operations in Mongolia, Kazakhstan, and Afghanistan."

Taliban coin when?

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Big Beef City posted:

Good luck.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

CaptainSarcastic posted:

From that article"

"At least one bitcoin observer said that he anticipates miners pushed out of China will set up operations in Mongolia, Kazakhstan, and Afghanistan."

Taliban coin when?

I mean, get the bitcoin closer to the heroin for that farm-to-table experience.

Also, the mentality of the bitcoin believers on my timeline is...something.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

From that article"

Taliban coin when?

There are reports that the Taliban are mining with artillery, due to a lack of infrastructure and actual equipment, so it sounds like a BTC level investment gamble.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

For a month! That ought to show them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

nomad2020 posted:

That's the one where you purchase a black box from the company and plug it into your network, right?

You can select several different miners from their 100% not shady partners!