Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Should have been Shining Diamond, fools :colbert:

Big fan of Legends introducing invasive species as your starter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

dungeon cousin posted:

Can't get too excited about the DP remakes just yet. The way they call them faithful remakes doesn't inspire much confidence. How 1 to 1 everything looks in the trailer makes it feel like they're drag and dropping the old game onto this engine. Nothing looks like it's gone through any changes like how HGSS and ORAS got character and location redesigns. With ORAS the titles at least gave you a sense that there were a few changes to the base game. All Brilliant and Shining are making me think of is polishing something old to make it look new.

But just look at that polish!

:ssj:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

in awe of how loving bad this looks. it's like they wanted some animal crossing looking style but completely hosed everything about it.

come to think of it, just give me animal crossing pokemon instead

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The remakes should absolutely have used LGPE artstyle, whew. I guess we are at that point now, the point at which the original games' sprites look way better than the remakes' models.

If they keep to heart the spirit of DP and don't feature Platinum pokemon, then by every metric you'll be better off playing Platinum on an emulator...

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Hammerite posted:

instead of the pc pokemon storage system/trade system there will be a scribe in the village who sends your pokemon to others, carried by starly

Also instead of catching them in pokeballs*, you carry your pokemon in small magic tubes depicted below. Also you're a japanese high school student solving mysteries around town with a talking meowth

*(ignore the part where the protagonists throw pokeballs, okay)

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I think the DP remake looks adorable myself.

Pretty hype for Pokemon of the Wild though, and I'm glad it's not coming til 2022, it needs more work.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Battle Frontier project under construction

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/Orpheolus/status/1365329764354035713

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It really shouldn't be that hard to make a good Pokemon game

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Don't add any new pokemon to the Diamond/Pearl dex, there's a better solution for increasing the number of fire types:

Sinnohvian Regional Forms

..as if they'd let a secondary developer do that, but I can dream.

Abra
Magikarp
Zubat
Geodude*
Onix
Machop
Psyduck
Wurmple
Gastly
Goldeen
Barboach
Meditite
Ponyta*
Pikachu*
Hoothoot
Unown
Wooper
Wingull
Girafarig
Marill
Remoraid
Tentacool
Feebas
Swablu
Hondour
Tropius
Scyther

These are all the pokemon lines in the Sinnoh dex that weren't new to gen IV, lines marked with an asterisk have already had a regional form.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

Take a look at some fangames and see why you're wrong

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vegetable posted:

25 years of pokemon games says otherwise

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Violet_Sky posted:

Take a look at some fangames and see why you're wrong

Ok, but when are we getting radioactive dead mom as a cover Legendary in the main games?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Welp....guess I'll be burying myself in another RPG until Gen 9. gently caress me is D/P ugly as sin. Arceus looks okay if unpolished.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 26, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Scholtz posted:

Don't add any new pokemon to the Diamond/Pearl dex, there's a better solution for increasing the number of fire types:

..as if they'd let a secondary developer do that, but I can dream.

Abra
Magikarp
Zubat
Geodude*
Onix
Machop
Psyduck
Wurmple
Gastly
Goldeen
Barboach
Meditite
Ponyta*
Pikachu*
Hoothoot
Unown
Wooper
Wingull
Girafarig
Marill
Remoraid
Tentacool
Feebas
Swablu
Hondour
Tropius
Scyther

These are all the pokemon lines in the Sinnoh dex that weren't new to gen IV, lines marked with an asterisk have already had a regional form.

Well they got Masuda on it at least, it's still not gonna happen because they really liked talking about how faithful the remakes are gonna be, but maybe?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Unless they add more than 2 Fire Types to the game (or 5 if you count evolutions) I’m probably going to skip this one as it basically just looks like an upscaled version of the DS originals.

Not sure what to make of Legends though, I’ll have to wait until we see a bit more of the game.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
They gave us exactly what we wanted and still the masses are unhappy. Maybe we’re the ones who needed a remake.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The hosed up thing about Legends is they're only making one version.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Electric Phantasm posted:

The hosed up thing about Legends is they're only making one version.

probably hoping it's a hit then they'll make it its own series of titles. but man what a loving miss with the same ol combat in it.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

TheHan posted:

They gave us exactly what we wanted and still the masses are unhappy. Maybe we’re the ones who needed a remake.

I'm a fair bit more optimistic about these upcoming games but can't really overlook the glaring issues.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

BD/SP will basically live or die depending on how much Platinum content is included

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

TheHan posted:

Dude. It's ugly. The only hope I take out of this is because a third party is making the game maybe that'll free up some staff to work on Gen 9 and improve it from Sword and Shield.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Regardless of what it looks like I will purchase and play both the remake and Legends Day 1 because lol pokemon owns.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Imagine a fire/water Sinnohian Remoraid that's a flamethrower fish

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Weird that Nintendo did a 180 and is not only allowing half-baked fan games, but actively promoting them. Interesting alpha footage; I'd be curious to see how these games develop over the next 3 to 4 years.

Riatsala fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 26, 2021

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The art style looks fine you loons

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Flopsy posted:

Dude. It's ugly. The only hope I take out of this is because a third party is making the game maybe that'll free up some staff to work on Gen 9 and improve it from Sword and Shield.

If they haven't fixed up the lighting come release I'll be a bit disappointed but I like their lil squat bodies :shobon: not like I was running around Sinnoh looking like a Jojo in the first place.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Scrap Dragon posted:

BD/SP will basically live or die depending on how much Platinum content is included

Apparently because the trailer featured Porygon Z they might be using the Platinum Dex, so that's something?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hammerite posted:

Imagine a fire/water Sinnohian Remoraid that's a flamethrower fish
imagine a fire/water OCTILLERY

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The art style is fail since it probably means we won't have any customization or clothing stuff...RIP!!!!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I want a Dragon/Fire phoenix style Staravia with black smoke as its clouds.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The art style is fail since it probably means we won't have any customization or clothing stuff...RIP!!!!

Hopefully we at least get winter clothes!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Carlosologist posted:

It's a modern adaptation of the exact same graphics style as the original. There's really not a lot to get upset about there.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

TheHan posted:

If they haven't fixed up the lighting come release I'll be a bit disappointed but I like their lil squat bodies :shobon: not like I was running around Sinnoh looking like a Jojo in the first place.

Honestly while it does nothing for me I do stand by original post I hope the next main series game is better because of this. On the other hand I guess I am a little relieved we won't have raid dens dotting the Sinnoh landscape. Sigh...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheHan posted:

Who's "us" in this sentence?

https://twitter.com/revolocities/status/1365332949114126336

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

We didn't get that for ORAS either despite XY having customization. I doubt BDSP would have it unfortunately.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

it looks cheap. there's no other word for it. the environments that have been exactly recreated severely lack detail now that the game is in HD and widescreen and the lighting is flat. hell, the whole game is flat. like, the ledges on routes are just 2d textures on the ground! they didn't even bother with that!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

to be clear i have no problem with the super-tiny character models, the idea is completely fine.

the game just clearly has no budget

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Just to clear any doubt I guess
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1365327233464872975

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Scholtz posted:

This was something that was on my mind earlier today as well. We haven't had a remake since regional forms were introduced, so I can only hope that's something they add to the remakes, but I do worry that it steps too much out of the bounds of how the remakes tend to be?

How faithful was ORAS before the post-game? I remember HG/SS added following pokemon and the safari zone which gave you an opportunity to catch a bunch of stuff early.

Regardless, I'm still the person that wishes the remakes were a bit more adventurous? I want them to be more like third versions of B2/W2 where it's similar but fresh. HG/SS feels like it did a really good job of that, and the Sevii islands in FR/LG were a nice addition, but I feel like ORAS was a little bit underwhelming in terms of additions? It's been awhile, so maybe I'm forgetting some of the stuff.