Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Blistex posted:

I think I'm done with this game for a while.

I've played about 20 matches since the 1.53 patch and the breakdown is as follows.

~2 I've played to the end successfully with no issues.
~4 I've had no connection issues, but FPS will go from 40-50's to single digits on and off for the rest of the match.
All of the rest have been 999 ping after ~30 seconds and I get booted 4-5 minutes into the match.

I so wanted to blow up rocket tanks.

Don't play tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Why did Gaijin do this???

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

ArchRanger posted:

I really hate the IS-2, it's awful for my playstyle of rushing the flanks and no matter how you point it your opponents have really obvious flat armor to shoot at. Would I be better off just skipping it now that I've got the T-44 and the T-34-100 unlocked? Leary about having to fight post-war tanks.

Well with the T44 being at the same BR as the best IS2 you're fighting post-war tanks no matter what so you don't really have anything to lose slotting it in. If you ever play AB it's decent since you can easily get a first shot hit and not worry as much about a miss leaving you open for 25 seconds of pain. Also usually one-shotting anything you penetrate has it's advantages.

It was starting to grow on me last patch once I figured out the tricks for frontally loving Tiger 2 Hs. Of course then they compressed the BRs and now dealing with T-10Ms and Mauses brought it all back to crap town :saddowns:

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 10, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
T-44 and T-34-100 are 6.3, not 6.7 (I have no idea about AB). The T-34-100 has comparable gun performance with 10 seconds less on the reload.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Well with the T44 being at the same BR as the best IS2 you're fighting post-war tanks no matter what so you don't really have anything to lose slotting it in. If you ever play AB it's decent since you can easily get a first shot hit and not worry as much about a miss leaving you open for 25 seconds of pain. Also usually one-shotting anything you penetrate has it's advantages.

It was starting to grow on me last patch once I figured out the tricks for frontally loving Tiger 2 Hs. Of course then they compressed the BRs and now dealing with T-10Ms and Mauses brought it all back to crap town :saddowns:

Yeah I've been trying it out for a few matches in a row and I'm either fighting 5.7s and doing as well as I did with the T-34s well or fighting 7.7s and getting reamed. I also only have the first IS-2, so so far I've been taking the T-44, the T-34-100, and then the ZSU-37 as a throwaway to get some research done in it. I just get to dread the matches where I have to fight higher-end stuff.

Mazz posted:

T-44 and T-34-100 are 6.3, not 6.7 (I have no idea about AB). The T-34-100 has comparable gun performance with 10 seconds less on the reload.

I've been playing Arcade where the T-44 is 6.7 and the T-34-100 is 6.3. I've done a few matches of Realistic before and it's a nice change of pace but so much slower that I don't find it quite as fun. With the lower BR I might switch over for a while though, fighting T10Ms and the Maus is friggin' rough.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 10, 2015

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Has anyone had a bug where they see an enemy plane flying in a straight line, but when they go to attack it get no hit markers and do no damage, and then maybe it just disappears? Meanwhile the actual enemy plane is off doing something else on the other side of the map. Also possibly related, seeing distant planes outside of the map boundary.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BBJoey posted:

Has anyone had a bug where they see an enemy plane flying in a straight line, but when they go to attack it get no hit markers and do no damage, and then maybe it just disappears? Meanwhile the actual enemy plane is off doing something else on the other side of the map. Also possibly related, seeing distant planes outside of the map boundary.

I had a similar thing happen where i shot a plane and got a kill but it didnt blow up, it dropped perfectly vertically while remaining parallel to the ground. 20s later my isp restarted the local exchange so I assumed it was that but maybe not?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I had a similar thing happen where i shot a plane and got a kill but it didnt blow up, it dropped perfectly vertically while remaining parallel to the ground. 20s later my isp restarted the local exchange so I assumed it was that but maybe not?

That sounds like a connection issue. I mean you shoot a plane but the shots don't register, they pass right through.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've been having real bad issues with nearby targets rubber-banding. Like they'll be 2k away, then right on top of me moving about mach 1.5 until they get to their actual position, then it repeats.

E: this is planes, I can imagine the hilarity if it happened in ground forces.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Yes and several variations.

We had a high-altitude B-17 somewhere on Krymsk so we used a Blind Hunt to find him. The HUD showed him about 15km past the edge of the map until one of us blundered into visual range and the HUD jumped to the actual player. Earlier in the same game, the same B-17 player flew below me and I dove down blasting .50s and 37mm through this mysterious B-17 that didn't have any red markers/HUD. I got no hits, flashes, ticks, whiffs, or credit.

Today, again on Krymsk, I had the Pe-2 observation objective plane appear to be just sitting still on a street in the port, this time markers as well as physical plane. After a few minutes of rest, it teleports to 3000m and is cruising like normal.

I also had a black texture-less sphere floating in space making engine noises while I flew past it. I tried shooting at it with my tailgunner and before I could zero in, it vanished.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

So this huge patch on PS4 seems to have disabled the ability to set mouse axes to pitch/yaw (or roll for that matter) with a "no device available" written where the option to change it is. Can I get around this somehow?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Roumba posted:

Yes and several variations.

We had a high-altitude B-17 somewhere on Krymsk so we used a Blind Hunt to find him. The HUD showed him about 15km past the edge of the map until one of us blundered into visual range and the HUD jumped to the actual player. Earlier in the same game, the same B-17 player flew below me and I dove down blasting .50s and 37mm through this mysterious B-17 that didn't have any red markers/HUD. I got no hits, flashes, ticks, whiffs, or credit.

Today, again on Krymsk, I had the Pe-2 observation objective plane appear to be just sitting still on a street in the port, this time markers as well as physical plane. After a few minutes of rest, it teleports to 3000m and is cruising like normal.

I also had a black texture-less sphere floating in space making engine noises while I flew past it. I tried shooting at it with my tailgunner and before I could zero in, it vanished.

yep, that's the stuff. how do they even introduce these sort of insane bugs. [rhetorical question]

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Roumba posted:

Aliens!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Oh man the hurricane mk iv is a laugh riot. BR 1.7 with two 40mm cannon? sign me the gently caress up.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did they fix the ki-84 flightmodel for RB or can you still climb super fast if you keep your speed above 375?

edit* nevermind it doesnt matter when the last 2 face jets

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 10, 2015

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BBJoey posted:

That sounds like a connection issue. I mean you shoot a plane but the shots don't register, they pass right through.

Thats true

I get the pe2 thing though and have since I started playing planes (1.51):

I took a screenshot because I was going to ask about it in the thread but thought meh its probably normal.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
That was some wild poo poo going on in our Saipan maps tonight.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I still find Realistic kinda boring but this *is* infinitely better than facing post-war stuff.

Also Jesus I know they wanna show off their new maps but is it really necessary to have Advance To The Rhine and Stalingrad be four out of every five matches? I've not seen Kuban or Berlin since the patch dropped.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 10, 2015

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

oh lol, when you choose "assaulters spawn point" on Frontline Korsun, it just puts you behind and below the fighters spawn point because gently caress you rear end in a top hat, back of the line.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Behind the fighter screen and low seems to be a sensible Position for the ground attack crafts.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

you'd think so but in the 'thunder-verse(tm) all the fighter screen does is fly low and attract enemy attention so you're best served starting forward and high so you can dive ahead of the fighters and kill as many ground targets as possible before the retard squad blows up and blows your cover.

all of this ignores of course the fact that the P-38 isn't an attacker so it shouldn't have been given an attacker spawn in the first place but :gaijin:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

BBJoey posted:

you'd think so but in the 'thunder-verse(tm) all the fighter screen does is fly low and attract enemy attention so you're best served starting forward and high so you can dive ahead of the fighters and kill as many ground targets as possible before the retard squad blows up and blows your cover.

all of this ignores of course the fact that the P-38 isn't an attacker so it shouldn't have been given an attacker spawn in the first place but :gaijin:

Well in theory the P-38J/L can have 10 HVARs and up to 4000lbs of bombs so that might actually make it the best attacker. But Gaijin has basically saddled it with it's shittiest potential loadouts so whatever.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

In theory but mine was stock so no ground attack options for me!!

P38J trip report: not as bad as some have made it out to be, but at that BR why not fly a Mustang instead. Not really seeing what advantages it has over the P-38G that makes it deserve 1.0 higher BR (or what makes it equal to the P-38J which has better engines and :pcgaming: airbrakes :pcgaming: so you can pull off sick pilot poo poo) but it can hold its own, even without upgrades.

gently caress unupgraded US 20mm tho

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Every tank can use the rangefinder ability now. Is that an actual thing of adjusting optical elements until given a clear image and range of the target or is it :gaijin:?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
"Fixed rare bug where tank can disappear when it should be visible (graphical bug)."

yay

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I'd still love to hear the real point of the vision system. Cause Realism ain't loving it. Maps like Kursk and Hurtgen are undeniably worse with it.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I can't aim any more since they did that. I wish they'd just revert it in AB and RB and limit it to sim.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

Blistex posted:

I've played about 20 matches since the 1.53 patch and the breakdown is as follows.

~4 I've had no connection issues, but FPS will go from 40-50's to single digits on and off for the rest of the match.
All of the rest have been 999 ping after ~30 seconds and I get booted 4-5 minutes into the match.

I'm having similar issues. It will even gently caress up the internet connection for everything else on the computer for a short bit. Totally bizarre.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Blistex posted:

Try the WIP client and make sure you are using the 64bit version. Version 1.53 has been protected with a professional obfuscator that basically converts the perfectly good x86 code to VM bytecode (think java) but the VM changes every time the program is recompiled, so good luck analyzing it. They also modified some file formats. Have there been hackers? I don't think I've seen any.
I've got the feeling the 64bit version has more oomph available. And 1.53 also introduced the new destruction, which surely is a finely CPU optimized code by NVIDIA that loses almost no performance being transcoded to a random VM.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The servers are definitely eating more poo poo every week. I've had fresh servers as fast as 24 ping with rubberbandy lag-gods giving me MGO3 flashbacks. Which is strange, where are all the players and what are they playing?

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrLonghair posted:

Every tank can use the rangefinder ability now. Is that an actual thing of adjusting optical elements until given a clear image and range of the target or is it :gaijin:?

It was always planned to be a thing, and it's explained as the Gunner in his person giving you his best ballpark estimate (for most tanks, the most likely explanation is him using mils). It also was implemented this way on Dev from start.

The thing is that the rangefinder module increases the maximal range you can get an estimate for to something like 2600m, while the non-rangefinder tanks can only do 1200m (with aced crew, obviously).

poo poo crew on non-rangefinder tank caps off at 800m (with 100m inaccuracy at that distance).

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

So I absolutely suck poo poo at SB planes, am I just flying against cyber aces or what? I get shot down any time someone sees me, but I struggle to even get a shot off whenever I try diving in on anyone else. Then I inevitably lose sight of them or do a dumb snap roll/flat spin that makes me need to fly away on the defensive. I have tried all sorts of control settings tweaks but I still have no clue if I'm just flying badly or don't have my gear set up right.

I idle in the mumble Sim channel whenever I play but nobody has ever joined. Also, I thought Enduring Conflict was coming with 1.53? I have yet to try it ever but it seems cool.

e: Maybe I'll see if I can capture some video to see where things have gone wrong.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 10, 2015

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teeter posted:

So I absolutely suck poo poo at SB planes, am I just flying against cyber aces or what? I get shot down any time someone sees me, but I struggle to even get a shot off whenever I try diving in on anyone else. Then I inevitably lose sight of them or do a dumb snap roll/flat spin that makes me need to fly away on the defensive. I have tried all sorts of control settings tweaks but I still have no clue if I'm just flying badly or don't have my gear set up right.

I idle in the mumble Sim channel whenever I play but nobody has ever joined. Also, I thought Enduring Conflict was coming with 1.53? I have yet to try it ever but it seems cool.

e: Maybe I'll see if I can capture some video to see where things have gone wrong.

Don't be afraid of choosing the easiest, cheapest aircraft you can find. There's no shame in it (unless it's a bomber).

Look for stuff that's stable and agile rather than fast - it might be frustrating to have the enemy run away from you, but it's still less frustrating that having them get on your tail and downing you with you feeling unable of doing anything ever.

As far as my (very scarce) simulator successes go, in Japan, Ki-43s work pretty great for me, in USA surprisingly the (early) Wildcat, in Russia the cannon Ishaks are pretty great thanks to visibility but a bit hard to control at times. In Britain, any of the very early spitfires. In Germany, He 112s are nice'n'easy, early 109s aren't so painful either. The goon pick seems to be the Mc202 which, while definitely a very high performer, is a little bit too fast for beginners I think.

Generally you have to aim low and keep your expectations modest. At first I found surviving till then end of the match to be an enormous success, and my first kills always led to huge celebrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The early Wildcat is an amazing plane and a ton of fun to fly, IF you have buddies with you on voice. That thing relies on teamwork, even moreso than the usual Teamwork OP.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Teeter posted:

So I absolutely suck poo poo at SB planes, am I just flying against cyber aces or what?

More often then not, yes. Makes those small victories all the sweeter. :unsmith:

Pand fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 10, 2015

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Teeter posted:

What times are you usually on? I've been messing around with DCS lately, but I'd be more than happy to fly some sim matches (I only have a hand full of WT sim battles under my belt).

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

BadOptics posted:

What times are you usually on? I've been messing around with DCS lately, but I'd be more than happy to fly some sim matches (I only have a hand full of WT sim battles under my belt).

I typically spend an hour or two online some time between 6-11 PST

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Teeter posted:

Yeah i've been struggling with this too, i love the feeling of flying Sim but the mode is usually populated pretty much exclusively by people who have thousands of SB battles and a lot of experience in other games. I've had some success in very low tier stuff where there isn't many of the 'iconic' planes around, where the skill level was a bit lower and the lack of cannons means that fights aren't over in half a second. Even if i get shot down it's much more fun since you can still have a fight instead of just getting blown out of the sky at the first mistake.

It's probably a self-reinforcing problem where any new people get repeateadly owned until they leave, leaving ony the cyberaces to have a circlekjerk. And then complain about queue times.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Kafouille posted:

It's probably a self-reinforcing problem where any new people get repeateadly owned until they leave, leaving ony the cyberaces to have a circlekjerk. And then complain about queue times.

They're really, really not filled with cyber aces who have spent literal years perfecting their flight sim spergery. If you want to see those guys, go play Il:2 BoS/BoM or something. There's a very noticeable difference between them and the standard warthunder sim player.

The perception that it is, is kind of self-reinforcing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Teal posted:

It was always planned to be a thing, and it's explained as the Gunner in his person giving you his best ballpark estimate (for most tanks, the most likely explanation is him using mils). It also was implemented this way on Dev from start.

The thing is that the rangefinder module increases the maximal range you can get an estimate for to something like 2600m, while the non-rangefinder tanks can only do 1200m (with aced crew, obviously).

poo poo crew on non-rangefinder tank caps off at 800m (with 100m inaccuracy at that distance).

Jesus christ i had no idea this existed, and going into the menu to look for it allowed me to discover driver assist, target tracking, sight adjust.. what the gently caress! Have I been playing with a handicap the whole time?

But anyway I just tested range finder on a M26E1 test drive with 1 star on the gunner rangefinder. It tops out at >640 (thats what he reports, >640) and takes so long I can't see any use for it. Earlier on I was sniping targets at >1km on Mozdok pretty reliably on the same spot just ballparking it (I don't even count the mils because theyre so loving tiny now) with the T54. Going by your description of it, what's the point? Rangefinding took way too long in the test drive IMO, does that go down as you add to the gunner's rangefinding stats? And I can't think of many situations or maps where I'd be shooting >1.5km

• Locked thread