Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why would I fire the pedophile Paul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Netflix has lost a lot of goodwill over the past few years by canceling well-liked original series without even giving the creators a heads-up. One Day at a Time, Tuca and Bertie, GLOW, Santa Clarita Diet, Everything Sucks, Sense8, the Get Down, Friends from College, Dark Crystal, I am Not Okay with This, Teenage Bounty Hunters, Patriot Act, the Michele Wolf show, etc, etc, etc. Nobody wants to bother trying to watch their shows anymore because they’ll be cancelled by the second season.

See, this is what I’m talking about; taking a risk to keep/complete a show guarantees permanent future content to maintain subscribers or license out if they’re hard up for cash.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

the five minute Raw highlights video they put up on youtube does like as many views as their three hour show gets, also the three hour show only generates an extremely charitable five minutes of highlights, people truly have too many options for absorbing all of this good content

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Eagerly awaiting to hear about the big TikTok deal that will comprise more than half of the company’s revenue

TikTok will be merging with Tout

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Reality Protester posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7G4izIc9XQ

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Lol Tyler Breeze recently got one of the haircuts that everyone else has.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'd be happy enough to get any haircut at this stage

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MassRafTer posted:

So I definitely think the market could see one of these fail. It will probably be Netflix (or they'll merge with someone)

Netflix is doing a stock buyback for the first time in ages (basically paying off a ton of the debt it accrued as it underwent massive international expansion over the past six years) and, according to its published investor guidance, expects to be profitable for the first time in its history this fiscal year; I highly doubt they're going anywhere.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'd be happy enough to get any haircut at this stage

Maybe you should have become a WWE Superstar then

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sure is a thing you want to say when it's the TV deals that are making your company the most money it has ever made

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
is Nxt even on other platforms? Aew is on Fite but I dont think Nxt/wwe has full shows available anywhere else.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

"It's not Tout!" in the background, goddamn Talking Smack was good

Almost as good as everyone's favorite, Slapjack.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Sure is a thing you want to say when it's the TV deals that are making your company the most money it has ever made

Who cares, those sucker TV execs already paid up.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1359973554180157443

Go home show for Takeover on Sunday. And it wasn't half bad of a show.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Reality Protester posted:

Knowing WWE some rich person will buy defunct Tout from them for like 5 trillion dollars.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

I'd love to know what the other barometers of success are then... I know it's been mentioned, but the majority of their revenue falls on two TV deals. NXT isn't even making stars that cause the ratings to go up on other shows

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

the barometer for success is that they conned some rube execs into several billion dollars for their half assed go nowhere product

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Astro7x posted:

I'd love to know what the other barometers of success are then... I know it's been mentioned, but the majority of their revenue falls on two TV deals. NXT isn't even making stars that cause the ratings to go up on other shows

I'm sure Fox has questions and comments.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

1glitch0 posted:

I'm sure Fox has questions and comments.

Smackdown seems to be doing okay relatively speaking, it should be NBCU that's pissed off but then peacock happened so,

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Reddit Millionaire Cameron Grimes is the funniest gimmick WWE has made in years, eclipsing luminaries in the field such as Pissing and Farting Natalya, Los Matadores, and Lord Tensai

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

I'm sure he's just worried its the ghost of Jimmy Snuka's girlfriend.

Digital Jedi posted:

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1359973554180157443

Go home show for Takeover on Sunday. And it wasn't half bad of a show.

Expected higher from both. Come on guuuys, this is the most exciting time of the year for wrestling.

What? Oh, no, I didn't watch either.

Bard Maddox posted:

Reddit Millionaire Cameron Grimes is the funniest gimmick WWE has made in years, eclipsing luminaries in the field such as Pissing and Farting Natalya, Los Matadores, and Lord Tensai

I gotta question Los Matadores making the cut over The Shining Stars

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It’ll be pretty funny if WWE tank NXT’s stock so bad that when they do end up moving it to a different day no network wants to touch it.

But it’s more likely they’ll somehow sell it to NBC or whatever for a billion dollars.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Bard Maddox posted:

Is he the one that was that broke into Lumis's house, started looking around, saw a women in the shower, and started getting undressed and said "I didn't know Dexter had a sister" then he heard some noises*, so he stopped his sexual assault in progress :shrug:

I don't know how that wasn't made a bigger deal at the time but I guess its because no one watches nxt anyways

e: or she turned out to be a zombie/ghoul or something

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
dunno, I don’t watch the show

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bard Maddox posted:

dunno, I don’t watch the show

Why wouldn't you watch the show, Bard?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Hirez posted:

Is he the one that was that broke into Lumis's house, started looking around, saw a women in the shower, and started getting undressed and said "I didn't know Dexter had a sister" then he heard some noises*, so he stopped his sexual assault in progress :shrug:

I don't know how that wasn't made a bigger deal at the time but I guess its because no one watches nxt anyways

e: or she turned out to be a zombie/ghoul or something

Was it meant to be Psycho reference?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Seams posted:

It’ll be pretty funny if WWE tank NXT’s stock so bad that when they do end up moving it to a different day no network wants to touch it.

But it’s more likely they’ll somehow sell it to NBC or whatever for a billion dollars.

I think someone would buy it because regardless of quality, it’s content that a network and broadcast and put on their streaming service. Networks seem really eager to buy content

bartok
May 10, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

I think someone would buy it because regardless of quality, it’s content that a network and broadcast and put on their streaming service. Networks seem really eager to buy content

It's all about slingin' 'tent don't matter if it's good or poo poo as long as there is a lot of it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Seams posted:

If WWE tanks NXT so hard it completely fails as a brand, they will just go "Eh, it's the C-show anyway" and cancel it. They will then pat themselves on the back for this wise business decision and receive a lot of money for it from investors, and two months later they will introduce the new brand, TXN.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Bring back El Tejano.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Peacock Only Has 11.3 Million Active Viewing Households, Report Says

For reference, NBCU has been reporting 33 million subs.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Jackie D posted:

Smackdown seems to be doing okay relatively speaking, it should be NBCU that's pissed off but then peacock happened so,

I think Smackdown is doing worse than what Fox (stupidly) expected, but I could be wrong. The bigger issue IMO is one of the heads of the company basically still pushing the youtube, social media interaction, blah blah blah. If I was Fox I'd be like "if we were naive to believe your product would be watched on our network what the gently caress did we just give you hundreds of millions of dollars for?"

Pylons posted:

Peacock Only Has 11.3 Million Active Viewing Households, Report Says

For reference, NBCU has been reporting 33 million subs.

And a lot of those Peacock viewers ain't paying.

I find the streaming debate interesting, because I have a different perspective than most. I think Netflix is going to be one of the last streaming companies standing. This is just based on my gut and no facts, but I think Netflix's strategy was to burn through money to make original content to stay alive and wait out everyone else when they realize that everyone having their own streaming service is a bitch and it really would be much easier to just license their big shows to Netflix. We've kinda already seen it with WWE moving to Peacock.

Disney+ will be fine, I think, but Peacock, CBS All Access, etc, I think they will all decide that instead of keeping up all the streaming infrastructure and paying a ton of money for one or two things people like, why not just license it? Then you aren't paying money. You're just making money.

Peacock seems to be in the popular, but decade old, sitcom and WWE content business. CBS Access seems to be in the Star Trek and Big Brother business. I don't know if that is profitable in the long term. Just license The Office back to Netflix for half a billion dollars and forget about having to sustain an entire streaming network and then take a nap on all of your money. It just seems like the easier choice after the "WE HAVE TO HAVE A STREAMING NETWORK" fever breaks.

But I'm a fool with a broken hole so what do I know.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1glitch0 posted:

I think Smackdown is doing worse than what Fox (stupidly) expected, but I could be wrong. The bigger issue IMO is one of the heads of the company basically still pushing the youtube, social media interaction, blah blah blah. If I was Fox I'd be like "if we were naive to believe your product would be watched on our network what the gently caress did we just give you hundreds of millions of dollars for?"

And a lot of those Peacock viewers ain't paying.

I find the streaming debate interesting, because I have a different perspective than most. I think Netflix is going to be one of the last streaming companies standing. This is just based on my gut and no facts, but I think Netflix's strategy was to burn through money to make original content to stay alive and wait out everyone else when they realize that everyone having their own streaming service is a bitch and it really would be much easier to just license their big shows to Netflix. We've kinda already seen it with WWE moving to Peacock.

Disney+ will be fine, I think, but Peacock, CBS All Access, etc, I think they will all decide that instead of keeping up all the streaming infrastructure and paying a ton of money for one or two things people like, why not just license it? Then you aren't paying money. You're just making money.

Peacock seems to be in the popular, but decade old, sitcom and WWE content business. CBS Access seems to be in the Star Trek and Big Brother business. I don't know if that is profitable in the long term. Just license The Office back to Netflix for half a billion dollars and forget about having to sustain an entire streaming network and then take a nap on all of your money. It just seems like the easier choice after the "WE HAVE TO HAVE A STREAMING NETWORK" fever breaks.

But I'm a fool with a broken hole so what do I know.

Smackdown was expected to do 3+ million viewers and significantly higher in the demo but right now they are at the very low end of demo expectations. The Peacock news is very funny, I saw the first stuff speculating they were looking for that, then all sorts of details of NBCU getting turned down by others and were hoping for a merger. Hopefully no Warner Merger happens!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Theoretically, if a Warner merger happened, wouldn't AEW be in a fairly strong bargaining position?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MassRafTer posted:

Smackdown was expected to do 3+ million viewers and significantly higher in the demo but right now they are at the very low end of demo expectations. The Peacock news is very funny, I saw the first stuff speculating they were looking for that, then all sorts of details of NBCU getting turned down by others and were hoping for a merger. Hopefully no Warner Merger happens!

Yeah it definitely changes my opinion if they have 11 million rather than 30 million. No wonder they overpaid for WWE, they desperately need those subscribers.

I still think it will be successful if they get all the sports they are trying to get on there though.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm a freeloader Peacock subscriber, but then again the only reason I have HBO Max is because I get HBO through my cable provider. I use my parents' logins for Netflix and Prime Video. Strangely enough, the only service I 'pay' for is Apple TV+, which I got a year free for buying an iPhone SE.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

You have a lot of the streaming services

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Cavauro posted:

You have a lot of the streaming services

And not a gosh darn thing to watch :(

Least 205 Live will be on peacock soon!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The golden age of saving money by cutting the cord and subscribing to streaming is just about over. Now there's going to be so many different streaming services that you'll have to pay just about what you were paying before just to watch everything you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The golden age of saving money by cutting the cord and subscribing to streaming is just about over. Now there's going to be so many different streaming services that you'll have to pay just about what you were paying before just to watch everything you want.

Which is pretty much fine with me. At least I'm paying for what I want and not a package of channels with the one I want bundled with a bunch of trash. Also I can cancel and rotate services around, like subbing to NJPW World for only the big events (if I want) or picking up a month of Shudder when they premiere something I want to see.

Maybe most people don't roll like that but at least it gives you freedom to do it.