Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Hodgepodge posted:

i get the distinct feeling with those things that people were basically convinced to buy into something with no real purpose but to get you to pay more for coffee and im pretty sure if i were a capitalist psycho type id be profiling people and business based on how i could use whatever flaw this reveals in their decision making process

I think you're absolutely correct. the "Free office coffee" service probably cost $60k a year as an expense for the corp, but it was a small benefit and helped offset the workers going to starbucks and getting $6 coffee on 15 25 minutes breaks. The penny wise pound foolish approach is, oh you want (thing) well then you better bring it in. Of course that means plebs will spend countless hours organizing coffee money pools and other hopeless endeavors to try and achieve the same goal but inefficiently and at the workers expense. They will be both more miserable and poorer, brilliant. Overall it wasn't capitalist greed but simple resource mismanagement. If the employer creates the perception that free coffee is a benefit, then the logical consequence is that the workers will expect free coffee, and that can't be allowed? Now extrapolate to benefits and raises.

e: in the summer rush months, the corp also facilitated Wednesday "Little Ceasers Pizza Days" where they'd just buy a fuckton of lovely pizzas for like $3, and charge the workers a few bucks to get some pizza. It was slightly commie in that, "hey, you got no money, is ok, eat pizza you pay next time!"
The follow-up story is that the one time a senior VP flew out to visit, our municipal power went out so the nasty diesel generator kicked on, and only 1/3 of the power outlets would draw power. I got to eat some hour old pizza with an unhappy exec who had to pretend that he cared for us, and to hatch an impromptu plan to get he office back to work with only 1/3 outlets and his own executive leadership! Nevermind that most of the shift went home after $3 pizza lunch because their supervisors wouldn't pay them. Let's go hunting power cables and plugging them into whatever phase outlets.

palindrome has issued a correction as of 09:42 on Jun 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Unless your in a very specific industry there will never be free workplace weed cause it’s a drag on productivity and especially if you’re not an office drone and doing real work like moving inventory or manufacturing.

Coffee on the other hand will get you up and moving and then you can crash after your shift is over.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

That may be true today but I can see a forward thinking office 20 years from now, providing forward thinking amenities to its workers. It's like that long twitter thread about corporations stated. The people in charge now are the people that grew up several eras ago. Eventually some stoner kid is going to be CEO or at least ultra manager and introduce this one weird trick to stimulate creativity in bored office workers

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Marx Headroom posted:

You can find support networks without AA's spirituality and fuzzy science approach

Yeah there's other poo poo like the SMART recovery meetings, but the thing with AA is that you can go to any town in North America any day of the week and find about 10 AA meetings, which is a hell of a support network even if you're not into the woowoo poo poo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Dreylad posted:

i had to cut back from 3 cups of tea to 2 small mugs. having caffeine just surge through your system as soon as you drink it is wild, i assume that's what it's like to drink an energy drink or a big cup of coffee or something

when i got up to three sugar free red bulls in the morning i knew i had to stop, the first two were just to make me feel normal/keep headaches at bay and the third one to wake me up but it mostly just made me jittery as gently caress and i'd crash around 2pm hard. tapered down and now i drink zero per day and save ~$180/mo.

that was on top of drinking 2-3 cups of black tea every day, which i still do and is fine and i can quit any time i just don't want to

again this is pretty :kiddo: compared to quitting a real drug (quitting smoking was harder) but it's amazing how much of modern life is refined and turned into addictive/dependence-forming/etc substances or experiences

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dreylad posted:

i had to cut back from 3 cups of tea to 2 small mugs. having caffeine just surge through your system as soon as you drink it is wild, i assume that's what it's like to drink an energy drink or a big cup of coffee or something

wtf how is tea that powerful on you, especially if you drank it regularly and had some tolerance from that?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Platystemon posted:

wtf how is tea that powerful on you, especially if you drank it regularly and had some tolerance from that?

no stomach

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Drugs

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Buy a reusable k cup bingo bongo so simple

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hollandia posted:

As someone who is currently sorta trying to buy a house, these are both cathartic (wow, at least I'm not living there) and scary (our current bubble could just keep growing to Vancouver levels!). Keep posting the updates! I appreciate them.

https://twitter.com/farhanmohamed/status/1403454276786032641?s=19

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Only $30,000 a month mortgage

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
cursed image

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

wow all the cops are assigned to the evil house this is weird !!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

:lol: this is like the sequel to cursed, cursed 2: hypercube

actually in awe at this

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

This is the worst thing I have ever seen.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Points wand at unarmed black man

“Avada kedavra!”

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

"Expelliarmus!"

"Wha-?"

"He's resisting arrest! Avada Kadavra, Avada Kadavra, Avada Kadavra, Avada Kadavra, Avada Kadavra, Avada Kadavra, Avada Kadavra, Avada Kadavra, *deep breath* Avada Kadavra, Avada Kadavra, Avada Kadavra, Avada Kadavra-"

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

“Avada kedavra!”

“stopus! resistus!”

“ifeltthreatrnedfirmylifiarmus!”

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Harry Potter universe is explicitly divided into literally magical awesome people and regular boring people. It's actually pretty fashy even without the author's transphopia.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The Nastier Nate posted:

“Avada kedavra!”

Surely 'Glockamus! Glockamus! Glockamus! Glockamus! Glockamus! Glockamus! Glockamus! Glockamus! Glockamus! Glockamus! Glockamus! Glockamus! Glockamus! Glockamus! Glockamus! Glockamus! Glockamus! Glockamus! Glockamus!'

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

the wizards canonically poo poo their pants and then use magic to clean the mess

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BonHair posted:

The Harry Potter universe is explicitly divided into literally magical awesome people and regular boring people. It's actually pretty fashy even without the author's transphopia.

In the Harry Potter universe, the people are represented in two separate, yet equally important groups: the muggles, who are boring, and the wizards, who are magical awesome people in a secret fascist society. These are their stories.

:doink:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
What if jk Rowling invented a kcup but for weed and it crashed housibg prices in Vancouver

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

BonHair posted:

They hide themselves from the muggles because otherwise everyone would want magical solutions to their problems. You know, like disease, poverty, hunger and all that other stuff wizards could trivially solve.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Elman posted:

They hide themselves from the muggles because otherwise everyone would want magical solutions to their problems. You know, like disease, poverty, hunger and all that other stuff wizards could trivially solve.

As seen in these Johnny Depp prequels where they explain why it's immoral for wizards to stop Hitler.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So what happens when someone buys it - can they just knock it down and build something even uglier but more pleasing to the lovely multi-millionaire eye?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah there's other poo poo like the SMART recovery meetings, but the thing with AA is that you can go to any town in North America any day of the week and find about 10 AA meetings, which is a hell of a support network even if you're not into the woowoo poo poo

Find online support groups then! Same thing as WFH. I realize it's weird I'm not just letting this go but the woowoo stuff really bothers me, and I'm not just being pastafarian or wevs. The idea of declaring yourself helpless and submitting to a higher authority to regulate your behavior so you be redeemed contradicts every piece of therapy I've ever learned/applied and it reeks of fire and brimstone. Being raised evangelical I can smell that poo poo from a mile away and AA has it.

Like how many times are you going to say "Yeah AA can help just ignore a lot of it" before recommending AA without the bullshit? Can we just move past it already?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So what happens when someone buys it - can they just knock it down and build something even uglier but more pleasing to the lovely multi-millionaire eye?

they celebrate having successfully laundered the money

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

inferis posted:

the wizards canonically poo poo their pants and then use magic to clean the mess

more like harry pooper

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rah! posted:

more like harry pooper

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

From the meme thread:

bike tory posted:

Wasn't Harry's career goal always to become a wizard cop?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

a wizard and a cop? didn't know the ukkk was a thing

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

duz posted:

As seen in these Johnny Depp prequels where they explain why it's immoral for wizards to stop Hitler.
this is 100% true btw, if you just glanced over that post
they show the holocaust

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
so was hitler a wizard?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The moral takeaway of harry potter is "all authority figures are good people you should trust implicitly and keep secrets for except step parents, a man who changed his name to hide from/torment people and fat women" and frankly I'm shocked, shocked such books were written by a piece of poo poo

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Dumbledore dated gay wizard Hitler right? I gave up on watching the fantastic beasts movies

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

tokin opposition posted:

The moral takeaway of harry potter is "all authority figures are good people you should trust implicitly and keep secrets for except step parents, a man who changed his name to hide from/torment people and fat women" and frankly I'm shocked, shocked such books were written by a piece of poo poo

Half the books are about how the neoliberal wizard goverment is completely incompetent and unprepared to deal with the threat of wizard nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

the only asian in the series is named cho chang