Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
bader is as good or not quite as good as phil davis at mma wrestling. that's all that needs to be said when studying exactly how successful bader will be in that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I would expect and rather Rumble to win but also I kind of want to see Bader KO him for the sheer bizarre spectacle.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
if we've learned one thing from rumble in all of his ufc fights is that even if you have the wrestling to absolutely dominate him he is still good enough to land at least one punch that can change a fight.

also phil in a striking sense is a much more defensively sound striker and he spent the entire time looking hurt and extremely scared.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I want Bader to win to see what they'll come up with next to avoid giving him a title shot.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Will rumble gas if he can't blast Bader out quickly

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Rumble has always sucked and it was amazing when people thought he was going to have like a third career resurgence after clocking Little Nog

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

EmmyOk posted:

I would expect and rather Rumble to win but also I kind of want to see Bader KO him for the sheer bizarre spectacle.

I'm a big fan of the posters that just want chaos.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think my most goddamn moment from Rumble wasn't even the time he punched DC across the cage but when in round 3 even after being wrestlefucked he just flexed his way out of a kimura. Also DumbWhiteGuy can we please have Werdum doing Werdum face with Gaston as his picture next month? tia

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

no. see: the phil davis fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

-Atom- posted:

Rumble has always sucked and it was amazing when people thought he was going to have like a third career resurgence after clocking Little Nog

you are the stupidest motherfucker on the planet

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Marching Powder posted:

no. see: the phil davis fight.

But he did gas hard with DC after punching himself out. But if Bader gets caught with the shot that DC did he gonna die.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Le Saboteur posted:

But he did gas hard with DC after punching himself out. But if Bader gets caught with the shot that DC did he gonna die.

no he gassed because dc was able to control the tempo of the fight. something that bader is completely incapable of against a good fighter

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

also lol at the thought of comparing bader to dc in any respect other than weight at the time of the weigh in

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

also phil in a striking sense is a much more defensively sound striker and he spent the entire time looking hurt and extremely scared.

I don't think that's actually true any more; Bader's technique looked a lot better against Rashad. Admittedly Rashad being rusty as hell had a lot to do with his success in that fight, but he had a much better stance, better balance, and he wasn't hopping off the ground with his shots any more.

Skip My Posts posted:

Depends entirely on whether or not Bader can put on any kind of pressure. If Johnson's power makes Bader tentative enough that Johnson can control the tempo of the fight, he'll be fine. If Bader can pretend to be a burly Clay Guida and have Johnson constantly fending off doubles, even if he's successful in doing so he may well gas out.

EmmyOk posted:

I think my most goddamn moment from Rumble wasn't even the time he punched DC across the cage but when in round 3 even after being wrestlefucked he just flexed his way out of a kimura. Also DumbWhiteGuy can we please have Werdum doing Werdum face with Gaston as his picture next month? tia

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

fatherdog posted:

I don't think that's actually true any more; Bader's technique looked a lot better against Rashad. Admittedly Rashad being rusty as hell had a lot to do with his success in that fight, but he had a much better stance, better balance, and he wasn't hopping off the ground with his shots any more.

bader has definitely gotten better at striking, but the only way that will make an ounce of difference against rumble is if he can use that improved striking to set up his shots - something that i've never seen from either him or phil which is why they are what they are.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Northjayhawk posted:

Credible MMA media are suggesting Werdum - Cain II in Vegas on super bowl weekend could happen.

Only thing about that is I'm not sure what they're going to do for the Brazil PPV card in March. Anderson is supposedly already talking about his return early next year on social media after his suspension is up, so that might be why they're looking at moving the heavyweight title match to a bigger weekend cause Anderson could hold up a decent PPV on his own. Or maybe if RDA gets through Cerrone without injury they might get him back in there already, that would be the same turnaround he did this year from the Diaz fight to the Pettis fight.

Unless UFC is no longer planning on going to Brazil for March and that's why they're moving it up.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Rumble is going to knock out Bader really hard and it will be cool.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that Bader has the chin needed to survive a shot from Rumble, and Rumble seems to catch everyone he fights at least once.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

bader has definitely gotten better at striking, but the only way that will make an ounce of difference against rumble is if he can use that improved striking to set up his shots - something that i've never seen from either him or phil which is why they are what they are.

I vaguely remember him doing one cool striking into a takedown thing against Rampage, like a less good version of what Rashad did.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

NippleFloss posted:

I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that Bader has the chin needed to survive a shot from Rumble, and Rumble seems to catch everyone he fights at least once.

"Coach tape my fingers into flippers"

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

I vaguely remember him doing one cool striking into a takedown thing against Rampage, like a less good version of what Rashad did.

hmm that's going back a bit. and i'm not going to re-watch a ryan bader fight for any reason. i will say though that rumble is actually a really solid wrestler. it's not like he's got an osp level deficiency. i honestly think it would require someone on dc's level of wrestling to actually get the bastard down and hold him there. and if you stand with im, it seems you've got the option of running like phil davis or getting annihilated like everyone else. i'm definitely underselling bader, but i'd say he wins 1 out of 10 times if he fights the fight of his life and has improved measurably

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I don't actually think Rumble's wrestling is that good at all; it's just that everyone aside from DC has gotten a taste of his power and been doing all their shots from ten feet away, which is going to make anyone look great at defending takedowns.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i think it's fair to say at the least that he's 'not deficient'. but you're right in that there's no real yardstick for it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

i think it's fair to say at the least that he's 'not deficient'. but you're right in that there's no real yardstick for it.

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting his wrestling was actually bad, just that how it looked against Phil is not at all indicative of how it's going to look against someone willing to punch their way into range. Which of course may or may not have any bearing on the Bader fight, since Bader is no DC on the feet.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

hahahahaha

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Now I'm convinced Dariush deserved the Johnson decision.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

Now I'm convinced Dariush deserved the Johnson decision.

I also feel like that exchange should be shown to the judges of any other Dariush fights

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

-Atom- posted:

Can you offer us an MMA opinion that you truly believe isn't total nonsense, -Atom-?

Liking Carlos Condit, Mark Coleman, Matt Serra or other soft balls aren't valid answers.

(I probably can't, fwiw)

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

lmao

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
It's really hard to determine how Schroedinger's Bader is ever going to work but I think Johnson might get to curb stomp a dead cat.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
I could possibly last minute organise myself down to Melbourne for UFC 193. People who know MMA better than I do - is the card likely to be as fun as I think it will be?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Captain Log posted:

It's really hard to determine how Schroedinger's Bader is ever going to work but I think Johnson might get to curb stomp a dead cat.

Johnson has never had an issue with white pussy though.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Score another win for GBS.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Wazzu posted:

I could possibly last minute organise myself down to Melbourne for UFC 193. People who know MMA better than I do - is the card likely to be as fun as I think it will be?

The prelims have enough home talent to whip the crowd up, and the main card looks like it will be very violent. I'd go if it wasn't quite literally on the other side of the planet.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ryan Bader is the shittiest zombie apocalypse.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

President Faber's first act: ban all shirts everywhere

:swoon:

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Can you offer us an MMA opinion that you truly believe isn't total nonsense, -Atom-?

Liking Carlos Condit, Mark Coleman, Matt Serra or other soft balls aren't valid answers.

(I probably can't, fwiw)

Why would you do this? To read more atom posts? Retarded

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

besides like, uhh, Gadelha

• Locked thread