Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Where did the Steely Dan are amazing meme come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Ratios and Tendency posted:

mainly their illustrious career

Thread contribution: ABBA - Arrival

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Ibrahim Ferrer: Buena Vista Social Club
HORSE the Band: Desperate Living
Alexisonfire: Watch Out!
Gerogerigegege: Yellow Trash Bazooka

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Charles Aznavour - La boheme (1966 album, not the single)

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

I dunno, but I hate it

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Mainly it's because they're terrific songwriters and musicians and their style and aesthetic are lovably louche.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I don't get it either but that doesn't mean I'm right in not liking them very much

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights I hate to call it “perfect” but my favorite album of the last twenty years

Arcade Fire - Funeral

The Postal Service - Give Up

Superchunk - No Pocky for Kitty

Dinosaur Jr - You’re Living All Over Me

Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long

Julius CSAR posted:

Black Moth Super Rainbow is loving awesome!

His Tobacco album “Maniac Meat” is really good too. And it was pretty funny when TMobile used Creepy Phone Calls in one of their commercials

Yeah all his stuff is definitely worth checking out, Cobra Juicy just flows so well from beginning to end and is polished without being watered downed like Eating Us.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Ron Jeremy posted:

Arcade Fire - Funeral

The Postal Service - Give Up

Oh yeah, these two! I'm not convinced about the others, but certainly both of these are incredibly finished.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Oh wow definitely can’t wait to listen to what someone who hates a great band thinks is a perfect album

But actually, to accurately assess their lack of credibility

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
hating a band isnt the problem. sometimes you just dont like something. thats perfectly fine. the issue is that this thread is about discussing perfect albums, or near-perfect albums, agreeing or disagreeing on the finer points of what makes a particular album perfect or not perfect ("if it wasnt for this bit of filler..." "this track isnt quite as good as the others..."), which to me is really fascinating as a topic of discussion, and really isnt aided by someone just making GBS threads all over the artist or group who made it as a whole. i loving hate Incubus and would never ever willingly listen to their music but thats not really a constructive reply to that person who said an Incubus album is perfect, in this thread. it would be something for another Incubus fan to comment on.

mycophobia fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 18, 2018

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Wildflower, American Idiot, Who Killed Amanda Palmer, Soviet Kitsch, Back in Black, Badlands, Chameleon, Evil Friends, Thriller, and a shitload more.

I'll put up 'At Carnegie Hall' by the Dave Brubeck Quartet to contest Kind of Blue as the best Jazz album ever. Kind of Blue gets over-credited with everything Miles Davis did, and he did many, many things after, a lot of which had more influence on pop music and hip hop (Doo-Bop), where as 'At Carnegie Hall' is the greatest live recording ever done, in no small part because newer genres would become significantly more difficult to isolate out background noise. It is a summation and perfection of of lounge jazz, feeling intimate and personal, despite being a live recording in a huge hall, trashing conventional tempos (11/4 anyone?) in a way that still isn't seen much today because it's so technically difficult, in any genre. Have a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVLIcbUL64M

And as a bonus, here's eleven four: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ga4IBcQBFc

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

raton posted:

Perfect here doesn't mean the best or most influential, although all three of these are very good and very inflential. What I mean is there isn't one bad song stinking up the thing, or weird pacing or big uneven spots, etc -- the album is good and is without flaws front to back. This puts out Sgt Peppers, Blood on the Tracks, Dark Side of the Moon and definitely quite a few others but whatever.

Anyway, in order of how good they are overall, these are the three perfect albums

1) The Red Headed Stranger

This is the album that raised Willie Nelson from a likeable country workhorse into a sort of indisputable pantheon of world class musicians. If you don't listen to country and you got a fat aunt that loves Willie Nelson and you don't get it it's because you never heard Red Headed Stranger. Strangely enough this album was in part an echo of the number three album on this list as Nelson has stated in interviews that he wanted to do Nebraska kind of thing.

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj51eDT11UTp3RJwCCC531g6kg0ba0yfm (Youtube doesn't have the full album up as a single track at this time)

Feature track is 1 of 16, "Time of the Preacher"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf1w66uijqU

2) Kind of Blue

Maybe the only jazz album to jump clear of the genre into the popular mind, Kind of Blue is a moment to moment perfect album that is free of the kind of up-its-own-rear end jerking off that drives so many people away from jazz. One of the Allman Brothers Band's lead guitarists (I forget which) stated in an interview that the long flowing improvisations they became famous for in concert were built up from listening to Kind of Blue over and over and playing things that way. John Coltrane is one of the saxophonists on the album and apparently the rest of the group is almost as well known to jazz people. Each side was recorded in one session, with Davis demanding (as usual) no rehearsals, giving his players only rough notes to go by just before they were going to record, however of the tracks on the album only Flamenco Sketches is the actual first take (but that song did not appear on the album until the reissue in the 90s).

Full album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fC1qSxpmKo

Feature track is 2 of 5, "Freddie Freeloader"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPfFhfSuUZ4

3) Nebraska

Springsteen crushed it with Born to Run, the released Darkness on the Edge of Town and The River, the last of which introduced some darker material but which was his most immediately successful album up to that time (Born to Run would continue to gather steam down the road at a greater rate but The River came out of the gate the hardest). He followed this up with an album he recorded mostly on his own in his garage, almost all of the songs bleak or murderous, set in one of the few states provably worse than New Jersey. Nebraska is grim but without the temptation to feed his fanbase a nine minute working class anthem Springsteen was free to do his most careful and intricate work. He managed it without a slip up along the way and Nebraska has over time become a symbol and maybe even map for how one person can pull something off like that on their own.

Full album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dy2O9Khq1A

Feature track is 10 of 10, "Reason to Believe"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ro16WgM1IE

=====

Probably the most commonly mentioned albums in the thread so far are:

Steely Dan's "Aja":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzrDs_Vaho4&list=PL8a8cutYP7fodkZK1G6kK00rVwhMCy4_F
(I don't like Steely Dan but okay)

Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmHrHQEmp2Q
(I don't like the intro to Time and feel that Money is a weak link but this album is my number 4 choice for a perfect album if I unscrew my butthole a little)

Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-kA3UtBj4M&list=PLKLjDq58gFD_cY1K3dqNhzRe8mibgziQZ
(I listened to it before but it didn't make a big impression)

Grampa we’ve been talking a lot about this as a family and we think it’s best for you to move into a home.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
If you like live jazz you might also contemplate The Oscar Peterson Trio At Newport (Live) where they just randomly bring Sonny Stitt, Roy Eldridge and Jo Jones on stage for shits and giggles. Also Miles Davis In Person At The Blackhawk is a 3 disc monument of talent.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
the best jazz album was created sometime in 1949 in a smoke filled, dank rear end basement venue and was never actually recorded

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
...I will gently caress you like a PIG

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Phish was named the greatest American rock n roll band ever because they basically took jazz music and perfected it. It wasn’t really listenable before phish.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
God Hates Us All by Slayer

It was released on September 11th, 2001.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Chinatown posted:

God Hates Us All by Slayer

It was released on September 11th, 2001.

After I saw Slayer on their farewell tour in the summer, I travelled home approximately 45 minutes away from the venue and could still hear metalheads screaming FUCKINNNG SLAYRRRRRRRRR at each other in the streets at 1 am.

So, yeah.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Shitfuckers!!! by Venetian Snares is a perfect EP. quintessential breakcore. just six tracks of loving relentless immaculate drum programming

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Another for me is Grizzly Bear - Yellow House

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Angel Dust by Faith No More. Good write up on this one earlier in the thread. Best album of the 90's. Fight me.

Lateralus by Tool. Too bad Maynard is such a douche.
Mer De Noms by A Perfect Circle. And maybe Thirteenth Step. Emotive and Eat the Elephant not so much.
The Plague That Makes Your Booty Move - Infectious Grooves (I can't defend this)
Black Sands - Bonobo
Dummy - Portishead
The Great Southern Trendkill - Pantera
I'd say something by Megadeth, probably Rust in Peace, but there's always something embarrassing on every album.
I Hear Black by Overkill. Best groove metal album ever. Gant and Cannavino were the poo poo.
Rockity Roll - Mike Doughty
Songs from the Big Chair - Tears for Fears

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

BigFactory posted:

Phish was named the greatest American rock n roll band ever because they basically took jazz music and perfected it. It wasn’t really listenable before phish.

imagine being so wrong that you think a jam band covering jazz is better than just listening to jazz, wtf

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Torquemada posted:

If you like live jazz you might also contemplate The Oscar Peterson Trio At Newport (Live) where they just randomly bring Sonny Stitt, Roy Eldridge and Jo Jones on stage for shits and giggles. Also Miles Davis In Person At The Blackhawk is a 3 disc monument of talent.

This Oscar Peterson clip has the most perfect interaction between three guys and a song that I've ever seen, it's like they're one mind and that kind has every part of the song intentionally wrapping around the tempo of the song, slower and faster, to get as much out of each moment as it can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJhHn-TuDY

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Julius CSAR posted:

imagine being so wrong that you think a jam band covering jazz is better than just listening to jazz, wtf

Like I’m sure miles Davis or dizzy Gillespie were super talented but there’s something to be said about being able to distill their art down to the purest form and broadcast it to a wide audience. They basically took that music and perfected it. It’s like what the Beatles did with like r&b and blues music.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Okay, now you're just trolling

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Otis Blue
Cosmo's Factory
RUN-DMC

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Saying that jazz wasn't listenable before Phish fixed it is an opinion I find a little hard to take seriously myself so I assume it's just hyperbole.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

BigFactory posted:

Like I’m sure miles Davis or dizzy Gillespie were super talented but there’s something to be said about being able to distill their art down to the purest form and broadcast it to a wide audience. They basically took that music and perfected it. It’s like what the Beatles did with like r&b and blues music.

bullshit

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

raton posted:

Saying that jazz wasn't listenable before Phish fixed it is an opinion I find a little hard to take seriously myself so I assume it's just hyperbole.

I had to listen to jazz music for a class and I got like 10 seconds in to Chattanooga Choo choo before I just decided I wasn’t going to put any work in on that class. It was pass/fail so I could fake it but yeah I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that phish makes better jazz music than that. It’s like saying a Mercedes SL is better than a model T. Just cause it’s old and important doesn’t mean it performs well.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
What the gently caress dude

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Captain Yossarian posted:

What the gently caress dude

Have you heard the Tahoe tweezer?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Cosmo's Factory

Run Through the Jungle and Ooby Dooby feel like filler to me

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

overseer07 posted:

Black Sands - Bonobo

I'd say something by Megadeth, probably Rust in Peace, but there's always something embarrassing on every album.

Songs from the Big Chair - Tears for Fears

Black Sands is better than the last two, but I'm not sure that it's better than the first two. The whole Bonobo catalogue, especially Sweetness, It Came from the Sea and the One Offs collection. Bonobo is one of my favorite artists period, but I don't know if I've found the "perfect" ambient/chill album yet.

And Megadeth is the centerpiece of one of my favorite Onion articles of all time

Yeah, this one is actually perfect even though I think Seeds of Love is a technically superior TfF album from every aspect other than kicking rear end, which this one definitely does from start to finish- I Believe is literally just taking a breath.

e: I will listen to some Phish and report back, but I really don't believe it's the best of jazz- I was listening to In a Silent Way and to me, I couldn't ask for any better of a jazz album

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 19, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BigFactory posted:

I had to listen to jazz music for a class and I got like 10 seconds in to Chattanooga Choo choo before I just decided I wasn’t going to put any work in on that class. It was pass/fail so I could fake it but yeah I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that phish makes better jazz music than that. It’s like saying a Mercedes SL is better than a model T. Just cause it’s old and important doesn’t mean it performs well.

Phish

Phish is an American rock band that was founded at the University of Vermont in Burlington, Vermont in 1983.More at Wikipedia

I think there was maybe something other than Chattanooga Choo Choo recorded in the jazz world prior to 1983.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

BigFactory posted:

Have you heard the Tahoe tweezer?

I'm calling the police on u

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Loveless by My Bloody Valentine.

There is no filler on that album.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Black Sands is better than the last two, but I'm not sure that it's better than the first two. The whole Bonobo catalogue, especially Sweetness, It Came from the Sea and the One Offs collection. Bonobo is one of my favorite artists period, but I don't know if I've found the "perfect" ambient/chill album yet.

And Megadeth is the centerpiece of one of my favorite Onion articles of all time

Yeah, this one is actually perfect even though I think Seeds of Love is a technically superior TfF album from every aspect other than kicking rear end, which this one definitely does from start to finish- I Believe is literally just taking a breath.

Holy poo poo that article is amazing. I taught myself to play guitar with that album, and still play along all the time.

And agreed on Bonobo. I just have to go with Black Sands because I love Kiara and Kong so much. Such a great couple of songs to open an album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

The Cure: Disintegration.
Darkthrone: Transilvanian Hunger.
Pantera: Great Southern Trendkill.

Spacegrass fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 19, 2018