Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Time to go dump sugar into the other battleships' oil tanks... :v:

People are going to notice when all the chocolate producing factories go dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What's a battleship other than a mobile icecream factory?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Proposed compromise:

Bismarck is a he, but only in the context of ship waifu games.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

bewbies posted:

Bismarck’s career was gloriously short and action-packed. She decisively won one of history’s most famous naval engagements by blowing up Hood and chasing off a crippled Prince of Wales, then ultimately was undone a few days later by a stringbag plane and a good chunk of the Royal Navy. Her sister was used mostly as a minor stationary irritation until finally someone dropped a bomb the size of a telephone pole through her deck.

Four bombs, in fact, between several air raids. Plus multiple near misses annihilating the sandbank Tirpitz was perched on for the purpose of stopping the ship from capsizing. And just to give some illustration for those interested, it was the British dropping these bombs on it:

The Tallboy, a 12,000 lb bomb for use against heavily fortified hardpoints (U-boat pens with reinforced concrete roofs measuring 10+ feet thick were a major target of them). A Lancaster heavy bomber carried one, and only one, in a modified bomb bay.

Here's a modern day detonation of one in Poland from late 2020, exploding after their defusal efforts failed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZnnj3J4Lw8

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Sidenote the ship I posted, 4 barreled turrets of 20 inch guns each

Other note. According to the insane maker it dies almost immediately from having literally no armor or fire control because it sacrifices everything for more dakka.

I tried using 20 inch guns on a test ship, I found that it was massively inaccurate and the fire rate was garbage. The inaccurate nature over long distance and slow fire rate makes them hard to use. Up close it absolutely destroys everything though.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

UCS Hellmaker posted:

on the scale of big and useless

Pro username/post combo

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Jimmy4400nav touched on this briefly, but the Italians also had some incredibly daring stunts they pulled. They sent midget subs into Alexandria harbor and set explosives on the hulls of two battleships. Unfortunately, the crews of the subs were all captured, which prevented the Italian military from learning if the attack was successful.

Yeah, the special naval forces the Italians had managed some impressive operations. It's also a good example of a drawback of battleships: they can take damage and survive where most other ships would sink, but the work to return them to 100% capable can take a stupidly long time. While the Axis never learned they'd done the battleships significant damage, didn't both ships spend the entire rest of the war in port being repaired, only to be scrapped, still not completely repaired when the war ended?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Sidenote the ship I posted, 4 barreled turrets of 20 inch guns each

Other note. According to the insane maker it dies almost immediately from having literally no armor or fire control because it sacrifices everything for more dakka.

I tried using 20 inch guns on a test ship, I found that it was massively inaccurate and the fire rate was garbage. The inaccurate nature over long distance and slow fire rate makes them hard to use. Up close it absolutely destroys everything though.

You need to try that ship design out in a much more realistic simulator, like Waves of Steel. I think you'll find 6x4 21" guns work just fine on an Iowa chassis.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Nebakenezzer posted:

Pro username/post combo

Yeah, the special naval forces the Italians had managed some impressive operations. It's also a good example of a drawback of battleships: they can take damage and survive where most other ships would sink, but the work to return them to 100% capable can take a stupidly long time. While the Axis never learned they'd done the battleships significant damage, didn't both ships spend the entire rest of the war in port being repaired, only to be scrapped, still not completely repaired when the war ended?

HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Valiant were out of commission for most of a year. But Valiant would go on to support the invasion of Sicily, and Queen Elizabeth would support the reconquest of Indonesia and Burma.

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

"It's like no cheese I've ever tasted."

golden bubble posted:

HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Valiant were out of commission for most of a year. But Valiant would go on to support the invasion of Sicily, and Queen Elizabeth would support the reconquest of Indonesia and Burma.

Valiant ended up being taken out of service in a sillier way. She'd been sent to Sri Lanka to join up with her sister ship and fight the Japanese in the Indian Ocean. There, the RN decides to drydock her for maintenance. The only dock available is a floating drydock. They put her into the dock, which promptly collapses under her and does major damage to her undersides. This could have been repaired, but by this time, Britain was having major shortages of manpower. They chose not to repair her, and instead used her for training.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Do you have a higher-res version of this pic? For science.

"Schlachtschiff"... Man, German language sure doesn't do nice names.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pierzak posted:

Do you have a higher-res version of this pic? For science.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Pierzak posted:

"Schlachtschiff"... Man, German language sure doesn't do nice names.

Etymology
Schlacht (slaughter) "battle" + Schiff "ship"

Pretty metal though.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Canadian grade refit

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Canadian grade refit

Why, did it catch on fire halfway through?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nebakenezzer posted:

Canadian grade refit

the canadians wish they could manage something like that as successfully

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Does that have a second small rudder ahead of the big rudder? Is that to give them some backup steering if the main rudder gets knocked out?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Xenoborg posted:

Etymology

Pretty metal though.

I'm going to call all battleships "slaughterships" now. :black101:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I once saw a poorly-translated LOGH fansite call them "Violenceships".

This has stuck with me for years.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Matchup #33: HMS Vanguard (1946, #4 seed) vs Andrea Doria (1915, #29 seed)

HMS Vanguard

Belt Armor: 14 inches
Deck Armor: 6 inches
Main Battery: 8x15 inch guns
Speed: 30 kts

Vanguard is the final example of four-ish centuries worth of Royal Navy big gun ships. Like most endgame battleships, she was something of a compromise vessel, as she was laid down after it was more or less clear the cowardly aircraft carrier was the new chief of the seas. The Royal Navy tried for decades and various iterations to get its super-battleship built, but in the end, Vanguard was the end of the line.

This isn’t to say Vanguard wasn’t a fierce ship in her own right. She’s a fantastic combination of speed, protection, and fire control, and her 15” armament was more than enough to do the job they thought she was being built for. While the venerable old 15” rifle was accurate and reliable, they do leave her moderately undergunned compared to some of her contemporaries. She was renowned for her accuracy at long range, and her guns with boosted charges and great elevation should give her among the longest legs in the tournament

Vanguard required a dispensation to participate in the tourney: she wasn’t technically finished for WWII, but we let her in because she’s pretty. Historically, Vanguard lived a life of leisure until being sadly scrapped in the 1950s having never fired a shot in anger. And so ended the line of big gun ships of the line back to (at least) the Mary Rose, iron-hulled steamships dating to HMS Warrior, and all-big gun battleships dating to HMS Dreadnought.

Andrea Doria

Belt Armor: 9.8 inches
Deck Armor: 5.3 inches
Main Battery: 10x13 inch guns
Speed: 26 kts

Andrea Doria’s story is nearly identical to that of Conte di Cavour (to include the comically comprehensive rebuild) so I’ll leave this paragraph short and just let you go re-read about Conte if you’re interested.

Moderately interesting factoid: Andrea Doria lasted in service very nearly as late as Vanguard did, not being scrapped until 1956.

The Battle

Vanguard is very pretty, she looks a bit like Bismarck. She opens fire at a range of nearly 30km, the longest we've seen so far.

Andrea Doria looks a whole lot like Conte. Maybe she’ll give a similarly strong performance?

This is Vanguard’s first salvo. This is unnervingly accurate.

Vanguard scores the longest hit in the competition so far, at a range of around 28km. She penetrates Andrea’s deck and starts a fire.

Vanguard scores a number of long-range hits. Unfortunately, Andrea’s relatively thick deck armor and the middling performance of the 15” rounds prevents any serious damage. She hits Andrea no fewer than 21 times before Andrea can even open fire, but 16 of those are doinks off the armor.

Andrea takes a partial penetration right as she FINALLY opens fire.

The first serious hit of the battle, at a range of around 22km. Andrea is punched through twice, bow and stern, by the same salvo.

As we close within 20km, Vanguard’s fire becomes incredibly accurate. While she had trouble punching through Andrea’s thick deck, her much thinner (relatively) belt armor is very vulnerable. Andrea suffers fires and major flooding at her bow.

Andrea plunks Vanguard a few times, but her armor is very much up to the task.

Andrea loses a turret and the fires mount. She’s taken a total of 55 hits at this point, but her vitals are still relatively safe.

Andrea puts a hole just behind Vanguard’s belt and starts a fire. The damage is superfluous.

Andrea’s starboard side has been absolutely obliterated, and her bow is nearly completely flooded. She develops a serious list. The ships are inside 10km now, and Vanguard can hardly miss. Andrea’s gunnery is wild, and what hits she does manage are easily handled by Vanguard’s armor.

The flooding overwhelms Andrea; she rolls over and founders as Vanguard looms in the near distance.

Vanguard’s accuracy at all ranges was outstanding, and she’ll be happy with how well her protection scheme held up; Andrea’s guns are small, but even at close range they were not a serious danger. Vanguard’s main concern must be her big guns’ lack of destructive power at long range…that will put her at a disadvantage even if her long range gunnery is brilliant.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

drat, really contrasts between Bismarck's performance and Vanguard's.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nebakenezzer posted:

Canadian grade refit

I'm au natural, friend :wink:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Nagato versus Tennessee next, this is one of the first round matches I was psyched for, a competitive matchup between two contemporaneous rivals. Nagato has bigger guns and is justifiably the favorite in seeding but this one could absolutely go either way. Tennessee is an absolute tank.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I didn't realize Bewbies was picking lightly built bulkheads to model the IJN's shoddy DC practices but even so I picked TN. I agree this is the one to watch!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M9b8zZtoPQ

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

35% accuracy? Even with the range closing so much, that's a terrifying performance.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Another slightly uncomfortable execution, although I'll be interested to see Vanguard's incredible gunnery against more of a peer opponent. There could have been one or two spectacular upsets if she'd drawn a heavier foe.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
How long are most of these battles taking in real time?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

How long are most of these battles taking in real time?

I'd guess anywhere between 1 and maybe 4 hours for the REALLY long ones. I use a lot of time acceleration.

There is typically a fair amount of long range inaccurate shooting and carefully circling one another that probably doesn't come through in the battle rollups, as it is kind of boring.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

bewbies posted:

I'd guess anywhere between 1 and maybe 4 hours for the REALLY long ones. I use a lot of time acceleration.

There is typically a fair amount of long range inaccurate shooting and carefully circling one another that probably doesn't come through in the battle rollups, as it is kind of boring.

So like real ship to ship combat

or baseball

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I have had trouble with my Treaty cruisers being 100% cowards and just running away from each other or shooting at really long range. Takes hours. I had a Kirov empty her magazines completely at a Northampton, which was rendered blind, crippled, and unable to fight back but still wouldn't sink. The AI needs some work.

You also can't model CA armor lighter than 4" belts, or CL guns larger than 7", so you can't even build a correct Treaty CA.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Combat in general. Long periods of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I wish you could just keep the time acceleration at 10 or 30. It forces you to drop to 2 or 5 sometimes, and it just drags.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

RTW does exactly the same thing. the whole thing is just a less groggy RTW with actual graphics.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I choose to interpret BB as "battleboat"

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

I choose to interpret BB as "battleboat"

It's funnier the other way, when you call battleship cannons "BB guns".

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It is a goddamn tragedy we didn't keep Vanguard as a museum ship.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

RTW does exactly the same thing. the whole thing is just a less groggy RTW with actual graphics.

'real' time in RTW is 10x or more in UA:D. AFAIK it does combat in 30 second ticks.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

Etymology

Pretty metal though.

"Schlacht" is "battle." It does derive from the word for slaughter* but they're not actually interchangeable. :eng101:

*"Schlachten" or "Schlachterei"

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Both slaughter and battle are correct translations of the word schlacht. I wouldn't be surprised if slaughter and schlacht came from the same root word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I'm really impressed the game has enough customization options to give some really close approximations of these battle wagons, and the AI seems to make smart (or at least not boneheaded) decisions