Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/bioware-early-stages-next-mass-effect/

BioWare reportedly in early stages of developing next Mass Effect game[/url]

My hopes for DA4 keep sinking. They had two strikes and are actively sabotaging their attempt to make a redemption home run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/bioware-early-stages-next-mass-effect/

BioWare reportedly in early stages of developing next Mass Effect game[/url]

My hopes for DA4 keep sinking. They had two strikes and are actively sabotaging their attempt to make a redemption home run.

That doesn't mean they aren't working on DA4.

I definitely feel you though. I really like where they have gone with the lore and story in the DA series and it will suck if the next game is terrible.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CottonWolf posted:

DA2 is good, if only because of sillyHawke, one of the best protagonists in any game ever. Also, I still think the Friendship/Rivalry system is the most coherent companion system Bioware has implemented.

It just just needed another year of development, and it would have been a gem, rather than a flawed gem.

To be honest I have an easier time remembering the companions from DA2 than I do the companions from, say, Mass Effect. Or DA: Inquisition for that matter.

And as others mentioned, the general premise for DA2 was relatively unique as far as these sorts of RPGs usually go. Which is a large reason why I generally like it more than many other RPGs, including the other Dragon Age games, even if those other games might be much better technically and more polished.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 20, 2019

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lol

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I did like the DLCs with DA2. They setup Inquisition nicely and they're generally fun.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
They also felt like they had more content in those 5 hours than the original 30-hour game.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Dragon age 3 > Dragon age 2 > Dragon Age 1.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Pewdiepie posted:

Lol

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
“Subscribe to Pewdiepie!” *plays dragon age 2”

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Pewdiepie posted:

I agree with the fascist

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

VostokProgram posted:

I agree with the fascist

I am sorry that you enjoy bad games as well as bad politics

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dragon Age 1 and 2 are good in different ways and both are better than 3.

But rather than argue about DA2 for the billionth time, I wanna talk about one area I think DAO failed.

I think hardening Alistair is handled very poorly. I mean, hardened Al is not making him a bad person, just more serious and responsible. But the dialogue to harden him is pretty villainous and callous and makes it seem like the world is divided into those who take and those who get taken from. I was mad at that lady too and felt very bad for Al but it's no justification for all that. That one lady being rude isn't any reason to tell Alistair "you either step on others or you get stepped on."

It's even worse with Leliana. To harden her is to basically say she should revert to a murderer and undo all the positive growth she's undergone. I especially hate this one since the Leliana you know and love is the kind and gentle Chantry girl, not the assassin. So...why do this to her?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'd like to harden Alistair if you know what I mean

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
good lord this thread sucks

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NikkolasKing posted:

I think hardening Alistair is handled very poorly. I mean, hardened Al is not making him a bad person, just more serious and responsible. But the dialogue to harden him is pretty villainous and callous and makes it seem like the world is divided into those who take and those who get taken from. I was mad at that lady too and felt very bad for Al but it's no justification for all that. That one lady being rude isn't any reason to tell Alistair "you either step on others or you get stepped on."

Alistair only made sense to me when I realized that Arl Eamon has been grooming and manipulating him from birth so Eamon could become the power behind the throne in Ferelden, and that Eamon assists the Warden towards the same end.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

good lord this thread sucks

More or less than [Bioware Game of your choosing]?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It is kind of hard to figure out which one sucks the most with how much face sucking is in the newer ones

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

NikkolasKing posted:

So...why do this to her?

She's way cooler as an assassin! She's super good at it too, a true artist on the field of death.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

NikkolasKing posted:

You say it as if the rest of Alistair's life was all flowers and butterflies. He probably had a very few good things in his life, especially now that he's fugitive and all of his friends are dead. He hoped to see a friendly face and instead he's yelled at. It was a moment when he needed one little straw to get rid of his idealism that was extremely durable considering the circumstances.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ilitarist posted:

You say it as if the rest of Alistair's life was all flowers and butterflies. He probably had a very few good things in his life, especially now that he's fugitive and all of his friends are dead. He hoped to see a friendly face and instead he's yelled at. It was a moment when he needed one little straw to get rid of his idealism that was extremely durable considering the circumstances.

That is all perfectly true and if hardened Alistair was a villain, it would make sense. I thought of this line because I was talking about the classic "I won't be a victim anymore" heel turn. If you've played Jade Empire or Knights of the Old Republic II, think of it like turning Dawn Star Closed Fist or Mira to the Dark Side. These are good people who have lived such miserable lives and you urge them into not taking it anymore. They're still part of that perpetual cycle of abuse but now they are the abusers. It's tragic but it's very believable.

That's not what Hardened Alistair is at all. It's not him becoming evil or even more morally questionable. He's still probably the best person in any DA game and hardened King Alistair is in all ways the best option for both him and Ferelden. So pushing him down that path with clear bad guy dialogue is bizarre. to me.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dragon age origins was the last good bioware game

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mass Effect 2 came out after DA: O, so that can't be right.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I love that in the wasteland of Bioware games, and dragon age in particular, the only surviving fans like their most bottom barrel garbage iteration of dragon age.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Glenn Quebec posted:

I love that in the wasteland of Bioware games, and dragon age in particular, the only surviving fans like their most bottom barrel garbage iteration of dragon age.

It had the most soul, the most feeling. It was deep and warm and full of life, not unlike a steaming pile of poo poo. Sure, it's mostly waste, but you know it came from something great.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I mean I like DA2 quite a bit but Origins is the best and it's not even close

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Origins is probably the most complete/polished/balanced experience. But it's also boring, brown, and generic as hell. I love the game but also prefer both DA2 and DA:I over Origins.

Edit: I do absolutely love all the shenanigans in Orzammar as well as the Deep Roads though. My favorite part of every playthrough is diving into those dwarven politics.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

NikkolasKing posted:

Dragon Age 1 and 2 are good in different ways and both are better than 3.

But rather than argue about DA2 for the billionth time, I wanna talk about one area I think DAO failed.

It's been a while since I played DAO, but I found it annoying that if you took Logain into the Wardens that you had no chance to tell Alistar that it would be so he could die to the Archdemon. Instead Alistar gets all huffy and stomps off.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's been a while since I played DAO, but I found it annoying that if you took Logain into the Wardens that you had no chance to tell Alistar that it would be so he could die to the Archdemon. Instead Alistar gets all huffy and stomps off.

Isn't that because, at that time, you didn't even know you'd die fighting the arch-demon? That news doesn't come out until later.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I mean, if you personally kill the archdemon loghain gets confused about how he thought that bringing him along for that was the entire point. You don't know the person who strikes the killing blow will die at that point, but the odds of him dying in the battle are pretty high.

Alistair has a much simpler reason to oppose it. He doesn't want the man who killed his dad, branded him and outlaw, and tried to murder both himself and his surrogate father repeatedly to have any shred of redemption.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

chaosapiant posted:

Isn't that because, at that time, you didn't even know you'd die fighting the arch-demon? That news doesn't come out until later.

It's possible I'm fuzzing it up in my head since it's been years since I last played DAO and only two playthroughs were completions.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

You don't know that killing the archdemon -> suicide until the night before the final battle when Riordan tells the PC and Alistair/Logain, right before Morrigan makes her counter offer. Just before killing Logain, Riordan encourages you to recruit him instead but doesn't say why so neither the PC nor Alistair would know at that point.

Sparing Logain and then making him gently caress Morrigan while he asks you to please let him die instead ruled, the huge amount of ways the ending could play out is one of the reasons I love DAO and why I think they've never made such a sprawling open-ended choice since becuase accounting for it was clearly a huge pain in DA2+I

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

But they never bothered to account for it?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

But they never bothered to account for it?

I think Bioware's rapid decline could have been slowed quite steadily if the marketing guys and execs understood that and knew it was ok. Trying to turn everything into a bunch of choices that carry over and have weight across 300 hours of gameplay was just a terrible idea. And then they kept trying to do it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Oh yeah it was marketings fault that they couldn't pull through on their cool as heck concept they did with their other game, Mass Effect.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Oh yeah it was marketings fault that they couldn't pull through on their cool as heck concept they did with their other game, Mass Effect.

You mean the games that got routinely criticized for undermining your choices in previous games? (i.e the rachni in ME3, Perpetually angry Conrad in 2, all the people who died getting replaced with stand ins that oftentimes change little more than a snippet of dialogue, and so on) It was marketing fluff in Mass Effect and it was blindingly obvious marketing fluff responding to ME with Dragon Age

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Could it have been implemented better? Sure. It still made a valiant attempt and is forever in the annals of the finest RPGs.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
People would have been mostly fine with the level of choice reactivity in ME if they stuck the landing and then did a "here are the result of Your Choices" epilogue, even if it was just a long slide show

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

Look if your metric for success is emails and a couple one-off conversations than yes; an extremely good Logain/Hawke team-up quest, getting a letter from the Warden, seeing King Alistair for a minute, a brief werewolf quest in DA2 and the hilarious dead-Leliana-was-a-lyrium-ghost-the-whole-time are them accounting for it pretty well, yeah.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I bought the GOTY edition for PC and now I'm looking to install some mods. I've found some on the Nexus including the banter bug fix but it looks like it needs DAI Mod Manager to use, and that mod has been set to "hidden" and can't be downloaded. Where should I go to install mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HIJK posted:

I bought the GOTY edition for PC and now I'm looking to install some mods. I've found some on the Nexus including the banter bug fix but it looks like it needs DAI Mod Manager to use, and that mod has been set to "hidden" and can't be downloaded. Where should I go to install mods?

I think it's all done through Frosty Mod Manager now. It's been a while since I played so I don't remember specifically how to set it up but I recall it being much simpler than the last time I tried to mod DAI.