Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

alex314 posted:

drat, that battle was anticlimatic. I've expected anime elf king to put up some defense.

There were four of us and one of him, and we literally opened an abyss for his ships to fall into. (And then I guess the water flowed back up out of the abyss afterwards? Or maybe Selene just created more seawater the way she created a geyser.) I think "keeping himself alive" would count as defending himself with magic, all the more so if he saved his whole ship rather than just himself.

Not to mention that our "magical training has paid off by allowing [us] to stage this attempt at a safe distance from the invading vessels of war" so maybe if we'd had to get closer it might not have gone so well for us.

(That said, even if it hadn't felt anticlimactic, we should be expecting at least one followup event: last time we failed to defeat the ships in week 35, then Joslyn defeated Togami in week 36, and finally in week 37 we learned that there were a bunch of renegade Shanjian soldiers looting everything.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I suspect that with less wield magic training lumens would fire their attack closer and both fleets would perish.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

zonohedron posted:

literally opened an abyss for his ships to fall into

blahblah indirect spoiler

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 8, 2014

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~
Not us tho. We're broke :P

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

When I read that, I visualized it more as a "moses parting the sea" moment -- we took the sea out from under the ships, they fell down, then we crashed what we took back on top of them to rub salt in the wounds.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Voting is closed.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Glory of Arioch posted:

When I read that, I visualized it more as a "moses parting the sea" moment -- we took the sea out from under the ships, they fell down, then we crashed what we took back on top of them to rub salt in the wounds.

That's a little less terrifying, I guess, though "maw of void" in the fleet-destruction scene made me think "hole in the world" more than "we just moved the water out from under all the ships so they hit the seafloor". (Either way, they're definitely gone, whether because the water crashing back down crushed them all to tiny bits or because they're somewhere else now.)

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Outfit

Uniform: 1

Tux: 1

No Tux: 1

Classes

Public Speaking: 28

Decoration: 22

Reflexes: 13

Economy: 9

Internal Affairs: 5

Composure: 2

Foreign Intelligence: 2

Lore: 2

Accounting: 2

Flexibility: 2

Court Manners: 2

Production: 2

Falconry: 1

Archery: 1

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

The magical storms you summoned created giant waves which swept inland as well as out. Damage has been reported along the shoreline from Mazomba down to northern Maree. The beaches are covered with wrack and the bodies of animals, and many fishers and cocklers are missing.

Are you blaming me?

Of course not. Many more lives would have been lost if the fleet had landed. What worries me is that these reports are increasing, even long after the events of the battle. More than that, an observatory in Caloris has seen strange shapes in the sea to the west. Something worse than a simple storm may have been unleashed.

(Does that mean... a sea monster?)

:ohdear: Vote for 2 classes. Ideally ones that will help us with whatever this is.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Uh just Public Speaking x2, whatever.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

nielsm posted:

Uh just Public Speaking x2, whatever.

This works.

Good job magic jerks, you broke the earth!

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Archery and Polearms to learn how to fire harpoons.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wait, what? Sea monsters? Please don't tell me we woke Cthulhu. :ohdear:

Also lets grab Internal Affairs & Ciphering.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Reflexes x2 so we can dodge the tentacles of the Deep Ones we just unleashed.

Wear the FabuTux so we can invite the Deep Ones to tea and Cthulhumpets instead.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Public speaking x2, shift the blame on someone else!

Ah, a wonderful tentacled thing rises from the depths. Hopefully we can use our mighty fleet and forces to go battle it. :cthulhu:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Poil posted:

This works.

Also, crud, our magical nuclear strike has released the Kraken...OR GODZILLA!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 8, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

...I guess using that much magic was going overboard, huh?

Better be sure to know how to speak publically to convince our followers that magic is the only way and their sacrifices were for the greater good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Gruckles posted:

Archery and Polearms to learn how to fire harpoons.

This works. Although it feels like the game is just trolling us at this point.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Hey, you know what a sea monster needs? Big ol' harpoons in its eyes. Archery x2

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

Poil posted:

This may be our best option right now.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Public speaking x2 so that when people come asking about the terror from the deep we unleashed, we can lie our asses off and get away with it.

Pompadour Diamond
Mar 21, 2013
We have awaken Wizard Godzilla with that magic-nuke.
Let's do Internal Affairs X2 to find our drift partner so we can beat him up with a Jaeger.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Poil posted:

Ayup.

Is it too late to begin building giant robots? :ohdear:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Bublic Speaking*2. Excessive use of magic has caused this problem, excessive use of magic shall resolve it! Ready the magical death beam! and learn some public relations to mitigate the disaster.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Your father was right. Magic is a really bad thing for your health.
Maybe you can sing a lulaby?
Voice x2

Mikl posted:

Is it too late to begin building giant robots? :ohdear:
With those funds? Yes it is.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I have no idea how any of this happened it's certainly not our fault and at any rate I'm sure more magic can fix it eventually. :colbert:

What I'm saying is, learn to lie really well. In public.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Aaaahahahaha goddamnit I KNEW we should have just used the loving ships, now we're all going to be eaten by Lovecraftian monstrosities I hope you're happy

2x Archery. Maybe we can at least hit the loving things a couple times before we're messily devoured to feed Slaanesh or some other fucker like that

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Poil posted:

Let's do this. We may have magic and swords but now it's the time to be the perfect politician.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Let's go for a cover-up! Change into something not the Magical Girl outfit and not the Military Uniform so the sea monster won't think to blame us. Then let's study Public Speaking to pin the blame on someone else.

Spiritus Nox posted:

This works. Although it feels like the game is just trolling us at this point.

The whole section from the party through the end basically is one giant troll. In fact, there is no surviving until coronation in this game, just different ways to die.
(I'm kidding. Probably.)

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Whelp, it's a good thing we have lots of soldiers to kill whatever we unleashed from the depths...
2*Public Speaking.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Achievements are spoilers, right?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Achievements are spoilers, right?

They are, especially the descriptions.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Aaaahahahaha goddamnit I KNEW we should have just used the loving ships, now we're all going to be eaten by Lovecraftian monstrosities I hope you're happy

2x Archery. Maybe we can at least hit the loving things a couple times before we're messily devoured to feed Slaanesh or some other fucker like that

See, this is why I didn't vote regarding ships vs magic, because I couldn't argue against magic without saying "Do you want all our fishers and mollusc-gatherers to be eaten by :cthulhu:?" and I couldn't argue for magic without saying "Do you want to miss out on making the ocean swallow up Togami's fleet?" (Not to mention the spoilery advantages and drawbacks of the non-magic approach itself.)

I think we should study Reflexes x2, and I think we should keep wearing the uniform so the sailors know we'll lead them to victory! :sparkles:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Iceclaw posted:

Whelp, it's a good thing we have lots of soldiers to kill feed whatever we unleashed from the depths...
2*Public Speaking.

I second the motion.
e: wear tux, it's less likely to conjure image of anime tentacle rape.

alex314 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 8, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Maybe if we kiss up to Cthulhu enough he'll go devour somebody else's soul instead.

Flattery.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Mikl posted:

They are, especially the descriptions.

Alas. I don't get to lie to the thread about which one this route can allow you to get.

A double shot of Decoration then, to cheer me up.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Public Speaking x2 We're uh...we're gonna need some spin on this one.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Public Speaking x2 We're uh...we're gonna need some spin on this one.

I vote this.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Maybe if we kiss up to Cthulhu enough he'll go devour somebody else's soul instead.

Flattery.

Why would he be satisfied with one, when he can take tens of thousands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

Public Speakingx2.

Look on the bright side, guys. So our fantastic magical power might have possibly awoken some horrible sea monsters maybe, but we still have our trump card: fantastical magical power!

• Locked thread