Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Ola posted:

When a normal Cameron Diaz sits on a motorbike, it doesn't look like a ragdoll. And yet...

So what if it doesn't look exactly the same? It can be engineered and acted to look close enough and the benefit can be no deaths. There's possibly a huge amount of near misses and unreported injuries as well. Why should guns for some weird reason be ultra-accurately portrayed at the expense of safety when pretty much everything else is faked, half-assed, approximated or made up?

vvv lol

lol that Cameron Diaz is two inches taller than Tom Cruise in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/26xcOd4.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

What a chump. I would have just walked around the ladder in my way :smug:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

nightwisher posted:

no no no no no no no no no no no no

What do you mean "no"? Those things are great for crowd control

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Karate Bastard posted:

What do you mean "no"? Those things are great for crowd control

Khorne Berserker circa M2 (colorized)

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Kibayasu posted:

Even as a non-shipfuckler this was very confusing until I read the description and it told me that while the video was from the barge the audio was from the big ship.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/ntsb-collision-caused-by-transiting-houston-ship-channel-at-sea-speed

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/indiewire/status/1451539334142779396?s=21

Hearing reports that the union walked out due to unsafe conditions the day before the accident.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

BitBasher posted:

These are easy to spot and look bad if they are fired and the camera can see them with any detail. They don't have any major moving parts so the barrel will make a bang sound and have a little smoke while the slide doesn't move at all.

Weta has been working on fixing that issue

https://www.tested.com/premium/593807-adam-savage-tests-weta-workshops-machine-gun-props/

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

chitoryu12 posted:

Hearing reports that the union walked out due to unsafe conditions the day before the accident.

The industry term for this is a whoopsie doopsie

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Short summary is that the pilot on the ship ordered the engine set in such a way as to make it take a lot of time to change speed because it would allow the ship to transit the channel slightly faster.

This made the ship harder to control and it did the ship equivalent of going onto the shoulder and smashing into a tractor after passing a truck on the highway. There's more nuance, but that's the gist.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

I thought it was oopsie daisy so they could say this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEfuOsBaP1A

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

This is a funny way of saying 'manslaughter'

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

chitoryu12 posted:

This is an absolutely wild story

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
a goon over in the cursed images thread has posted some pictures (linked) of his new stump that formerly was a leg after he got run over by a heavy truck in Vietnam.

This link goes to his explanation, the image links are a couple posts up.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833370&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=1480#post518677491

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

When someone dies it’s upgraded to a fucksy-wucksy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BitBasher posted:

These are easy to spot and look bad if they are fired and the camera can see them with any detail. They don't have any major moving parts so the barrel will make a bang sound and have a little smoke while the slide doesn't move at all.

Lol who cares. Movies these days literally replace actors' entire bodies and faces with younger, hotter CGI versions as a matter of course. It's trivial to do the same with guns. There is no reason to ever be firing a weapon in the direction of a human on a movie set.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Ola posted:

No matter how they want to make it look, for such a huge industry it's odd that they don't have better props. Perhaps guns are such a big deal, they want real guns even if everything else is fake?

A charge of compressed air and some fine inert powder can make a nice puff and be safer, if not perfectly harmless in all situations.

I don't think this particular movie production should have engineered them of course.

They didn't use union propmasters.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Regarding fake guns and recoil: couldn’t you do something clever with compressed CO2 plumbed to a real-enough gas system?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sagebrush posted:

Lol who cares. Movies these days literally replace actors' entire bodies and faces with younger, hotter CGI versions as a matter of course. It's trivial to do the same with guns. There is no reason to ever be firing a weapon in the direction of a human on a movie set.

Not every movie has a marvel movie vfx team and budget
Still agree though. Anytime firearms or pyrotechnics come on set there should be clear plans for them.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Regarding fake guns and recoil: couldn’t you do something clever with compressed CO2 plumbed to a real-enough gas system?

That's how a lot of firearm training systems work (like the FATS system the fbi uses) however the hose would need to be cg'd out and it would make the actor move awkwardly.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Can't put appleboxes on a motorcycle.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Of course you could, that's what a prop is, made by a special effects team. It's also just cheaper and easier to use a real gun and manslaughter a few crew members, no biggie.

Someone needs to go to jail for a long, long time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

That's how a lot of firearm training systems work (like the FATS system the fbi uses) however the hose would need to be cg'd out and it would make the actor move awkwardly.

On a different note, practicing with a FATS system to get a good hang of a baretta's recoil and aiming is how I went from just scoring marksman to scoring expert on every shooting qual in the military. They're great!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

jesus loving christ

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
drat, two people with one bullet? okay revolver ocelot

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

On a different note, practicing with a FATS system to get a good hang of a baretta's recoil and aiming is how I went from just scoring marksman to scoring expert on every shooting qual in the military. They're great!

I used it once and my dad was like "congratulations you shot everyone in this hostage scenario. Even the children."

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I used it once and my dad was like "congratulations you shot everyone in this hostage scenario. Even the children."

I think you did it right, that's how you get the high score

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

So you made it into Spetsnaz?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Come to think of it, it was probably a bad idea to expose a 16 year old to that experience.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj3_R8nwy5Q

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

This is something else. Like it's the most ancillary content creation possible yet I can tell it pays these guys enough so it's all they do.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Jung Ho-Yeon, who plays Kang Sae-Byeok in Squid Game, is two and a half inches taller than Cruise.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This is something else. Like it's the most ancillary content creation possible yet I can tell it pays these guys enough so it's all they do.

Seth Rogen likes their channel so much that he called them up to ask if he could come on the show to talk about CGI in his own movies and they're pretty fun.

On the other hand they've worked with chuds before and also lately have been doing some videos about Marvel movies that are basically sponsored ads and that's getting a little annoying. Gushing about good CGI is fine but lots of people also like when they explain how or why bad CGI is bad, and how they would fix it.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Seth Rogen likes their channel so much that he called them up to ask if he could come on the show to talk about CGI in his own movies and they're pretty fun.

On the other hand they've worked with chuds before and also lately have been doing some videos about Marvel movies that are basically sponsored ads and that's getting a little annoying. Gushing about good CGI is fine but lots of people also like when they explain how or why bad CGI is bad, and how they would fix it.

what are chuds

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

Is this the Ukrainian Roulette?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Slanderer posted:

what are chuds

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 22, 2021

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1451602141018263564?t=I5Hh-b043GQgTkH0aFOcNA&s=19

Edit:

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 22, 2021

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

You can get CO2 airsoft guns that take 12g bulbs inside the magazine, no need for a hose. I have a CZ and an M4 that are nearly indistinguishable from the real thing, they even take real parts like grips and so on. They charge, reload and lock back on empty like the real thing. The recoil can be made nearly as strong as a real firearm and as many actors are going to limp wrist them anyway it works out just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Slanderer posted:

what are chuds

I specifically remember them doing shoots with Black Rifle Coffee, but that was before the whole Rittenhouse thing.