Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Kuiperdolin posted:

Aw, I love to level often.

Seventy two times isn't enough for you?

e: Just checked. Vanilla BG2 for a fighter was 12 levels; for a Druid it was 6 levels.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

So how fast do you hit the level cap anyway?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

coffeetable posted:

Seventy two times isn't enough for you?

e: Just checked. Vanilla BG2 for a fighter was 12 levels; for a Druid it was 6 levels.

Well the Bee Gees had that thing when different classes had different out-of-sync XP levels, which was terrible for a lot of reasons but meant that after each big fight/quest one of your little guys levelled, and generally not all of them at once.

Frequent small rewards instead of infrequent big chores.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

So how fast do you hit the level cap anyway?

If you make a normal playthrough you won't hit the cap. from the official forum:

ropekid posted:

On a normal non-completionist playthrough, the characters will not reach 12th level. We need to have a level cap because we can only make so much content (spells, talents, abilities, etc.) for all of the classes. You can hit second level relatively quickly, but the overall leveling rate should feel somewhere between BG and IWD -- sort of to be expected since our cap is between the BG/IWD caps.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

prometheus12345 posted:

If you make a normal playthrough you won't hit the cap. from the official forum:

Huh. What if you do literally all the content available to you in one playthrough? Also was there any mention of a New Game+ mode?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

VanSandman posted:

Huh. What if you do literally all the content available to you in one playthrough? Also was there any mention of a New Game+ mode?

I don't think they've talked about one... I guess stopping you from reaching the cap means that they don't need to devise any new abilities for the expansion. If you can't get all of them without cheating/soloing in the base game, it guarentees there'll be new abilities for the expansion without requiring extra development.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I was thinking about it and I can't remember if the most important question has been asked.

Will there be console commands?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Brainamp posted:

I was thinking about it and I can't remember if the most important question has been asked.

Will there be console commands?

Good question; I basically can't bear to start a new game of Dragon Age Origins without abusing a few console commands to make the start faster.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Since modding support is intended, I can't imagine they'd bother disabling the dev console.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

AFAIR they won't release the dev tools and won't explicitly support modding (because that takes a lot of work), but will probably publish their file formats and other info.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

VanSandman posted:

They did make mention that XP per party member would scale with the inverse of party size, so if you're playing with a party of three or something you'll likely hit the cap before the game is over.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
There's a super sized optional dungeon. I'm sure level capping in there will be not just possible but expected and required for completion.

The more interesting question is: will there be any value to pursuing XP beyond the level cap? Or does it just become pointless to care about it after reaching that point?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
I think the post DnD3e/NWN fixation on 'rushing to the end' is a bad way to think about design and gameplay.

Its better to worry about each level of play being fun by itself. That makes a curve of distinct (uh oh) 'feelings' of play that will make the game more involved and interesting over time. Otherwise you get the lovely sense that you are just "playing an incomplete character" through most of the game.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
I think that's the plan. Indeed, Ropkid has often told that AD&D games' peak is early-/mid-tenth levels but the main reason for the level cap around that spot seems to be just for the resource management as he mentioned. At least, one level Wizard won't end up with the ability of just copying spells-Likewise,...

In any case, I think it's a sharp move for them to have begun working on the DLC (I'd like to call it as an extension), considering their bitter experience with Heart of Winter (Trials of the luremaster), the fact that Ropekid confessed the content (In-party NPCs and wild areas) might end up short and the reputation of Dragonfall. May still need to see how Broken Age turns out but, generally speaking, quite many people seem to be enjoying EA projects with solid gameplays with some updates, too. It feels like SaaS for single player games but, come to think about it, it's also how PnP sessions/campaigns work.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Low level campaigns are usually the best, each level up feels actually matters and the stakes still feel quite real and don't get bogged down in power levels.

quote:

the reputation of Dragonfall

I've played Dragonfall and loved it but never really paid attention to any press around it. What was so bad about its reputation?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

FRINGE posted:

I think the post DnD3e/NWN fixation on 'rushing to the end' is a bad way to think about design and gameplay.

Its better to worry about each level of play being fun by itself. That makes a curve of distinct (uh oh) 'feelings' of play that will make the game more involved and interesting over time. Otherwise you get the lovely sense that you are just "playing an incomplete character" through most of the game.
That's definitely much better, if harder to achieve--the urge to get to max level is everpresent, and certainly I wanted to max important skills out in, say, Fallout: New Vegas. I do think 3E exascerbated this in a lot of ways by blocking a lot of character concepts behind higher levels. If you wanted a fighter-mage, or a sneaky thief wizard, or even a cool agile dual wielding guy you needed to be a certain level to really do it. In AD&D or 4E you usually had that stuff available from level 1. Cool abilities are usually hidden behind high levels, too, although that's inevitable to some extent.

I do think it helps to start characters off with enough to do. Play a level 1 warlock in NWN2 and you're just pushing "eldritch blast" all day, and it doesn't get much better until you have a whole lot of invocations. I understand the need to not introduce too many mechanics, abilities, etc all at once, but hopefully you don't have to wait until level 10 to really play tactically in P:E.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well, witnessed an interesting talk about the Vailian culture in PoE on 4chan.

So actually, you can't have black people in renaissance-style clothing because that's racist and says black people are worthless and have never amounted to anything, and also defames the accomplishments of the Aryan race because black people are worthless and have never amounted to anything. So if you could just make every black person look like the cast of Zulu, that would be great, Sawyer. I mean, it would please these dumbfuck retards enlightened gentlemen.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

You may as well post the video of 2girls 1cup if you're going to be pointing out silly internet things - especially random reddit/4chan/gamefaq/youtube/foxnews.com comments that are not directly in a give or take with the dev themselves.

I mean, I get that it's dumb and stuff, but let's not crap the thread up with David Gaider shop talk, yeah?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 22, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

I think I found the problem with your post

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Drifter posted:

You may as well post the video of 2girls 1cup if you're going to be pointing out silly internet things - especially random reddit/4chan/gamefaq/youtube/foxnews.com comments that are not directly in a give or take with the dev themselves.

I mean, I get that it's dumb and stuff, but let's not crap the thread up with David Gaider shop talk, yeah?

I was just surprised by the reaction to it. I mean, I can go post Baldur's Gate 2 and not have someone give me a multi-paragraph post on how Valygar wearing medieval Europe clothes somehow destroys the culture of Africa and Europe at the same time. The gently caress did PoE do?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SunAndSpring posted:

I was just surprised by the reaction to it. I mean, I can go post Baldur's Gate 2 and not have someone give me a multi-paragraph post on how Valygar wearing medieval Europe clothes somehow destroys the culture of Africa and Europe at the same time. The gently caress did PoE do?

How are you surprised by comments in 4chan? You either have people trolling to shock people like you or you have racisty people who just don't like people who aren't their color.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Drifter posted:

How are you surprised by comments in 4chan? You either have people trolling to shock people like you or you have racisty people who just don't like people who aren't their color.

I'm not surprised by the racism itself. It's what the racism is being directed towards. cRPG threads there go pretty well, usually. You'll never see people try to start this poo poo about the Redguards in Morrowind, for example. I figured they'd be happy to talk about something like PoE, which is a deliberate throwback to the Infinity Engine games. But nope, this poo poo happens every loving time.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

The gently caress did PoE do?

I think its because of the effort by the developers for the game to not be sexist/to be actually interesting and break conventions and poo poo. Naturally shitheads in 4chan would take offense to that, they like masturbation fantasies like the Mass Effects so they can talk about their waifus or whatever.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

frajaq posted:

I think its because of the effort by the developers for the game to not be sexist/to be actually interesting and break conventions and poo poo. Naturally shitheads in 4chan would take offense to that, they like masturbation fantasies like the Mass Effects so they can talk about their waifus or whatever.

They loving hate romances in game, and accordingly, Bioware RPGs. Like, gently caress, Fallout: New Vegas got praised for having a few well-written gay characters there. What the hell happened within 3 years that made retards think, "Wow, this J.E. Sawyer guy is going to make the black characters the master race and make everyone a gay transgender otherkin, that loving white guilt SJW."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

They loving hate romances in game, and accordingly, Bioware RPGs. Like, gently caress, Fallout: New Vegas got praised for having a few well-written gay characters there. What the hell happened within 3 years that made retards think, "Wow, this J.E. Sawyer guy is going to make the black characters the master race and make everyone a gay transgender otherkin, that loving white guilt SJW."

Those people have always been everywhere. Not just for games, but movies and comics and TV shows too. They are never going to be happy because the slightest suggestion that non-whites or women are humans will set them off.

It's not just 4chan either. I think the RPG Codex forums have this issue as well.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

SunAndSpring posted:

Do you really think anything new is happening here?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yeah., that was my point. It's nothing new. Especially from those places. No reason to be worked up about some random people arguing amongst themselves about why black people are worse than women.

Especially in the context of videogames.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I have to admit, I kind of sympathize with that last post but mostly because I'd like to see some fantasy not based on Europe. Plus portraying what an African kingdom going through the Renaissance would look like would be cool and creative.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Man Whore posted:

I have to admit, I kind of sympathize with that last post but mostly because I'd like to see some fantasy not based on Europe. Plus portraying what an African kingdom going through the Renaissance would look like would be cool and creative.

Yeah, let's completely disregard 800 years of the Moors.

but, you're also right. I'd love to see less relatively standard European fantasy and more Indian/Chinese/Egypt African/notEgyptian African fantasy.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 22, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
People who want some African-flavored sword & sorcery should read Imaro by Charles Saunders. Think "African Conan".

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, witnessed an interesting talk about the Vailian culture in PoE on 4chan.

So actually, you can't have black people in renaissance-style clothing because that's racist and says black people are worthless and have never amounted to anything, and also defames the accomplishments of the Aryan race because black people are worthless and have never amounted to anything. So if you could just make every black person look like the cast of Zulu, that would be great, Sawyer. I mean, it would please these dumbfuck retards enlightened gentlemen.

I love how hateful braindead 'gamers' somehow always manage to tie anything they don't like back to Anita Sarkeesian

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
e: I have to go now. My planet needs me.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 22, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - please don't talk about her here. You're going to have people disagree with you and they're going to respond, and others or you will respond to them and it will continue to be an echo chamber going back and forth. Please edit out whether you like her or not, her usefulness et cetera from your post.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I love how hateful braindead 'gamers' somehow always manage to tie anything they don't like back to Anita Sarkeesian

She's probably one of the most well known personalities tied to videogames this zeitgeist. Not a big deal to just have her name on pull for standard complaints.

THANKS OBAMA!

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 22, 2014

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Drifter posted:

^^^ - please don't talk about her here. You're going to have people disagree with you and they're going to respond, and others or you will respond to them and it will continue to be an echo chamber going back and forth. Please edit out whether you like her or not, her usefulness et cetera from your post.

You're absolutely right.

I was going to comment on it, but there's zero chance it wouldn't be misconstrued. Heed the above advice.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

SunAndSpring posted:

It's just with-us-or-against-us bullshit, rallied around "gamer culture". It's the same mentality that can put gay rights activists and Islamic extremists in the same political category.

JE Sawyer is a known deviant when it comes to video games. He'll probably make make you play a black transexual bard as the only character choice.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

None of the human ethnic groups in PoE have clothing that maps to their equivalent on Earth. Aedyrans are essentially Anglo-Saxons and their outfits are Greek-inspired. Ixamitl are Mesoamerican and their outfits are Bulgarian- and Ethopian-inspired. Dyrwoodans have fantasy clothing that doesn't really map to any specific culture.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

rope kid posted:

Dyrwoodans have fantasy clothing that doesn't really map to any specific culture.

Tropical Inuit.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Also, unsurprisingly, the pictured OP is wrong. Vailians aren't "the most civilized" or "advanced" "race". Most Vailians are Calbandra/Ocean Folk (black-skinned), but not all are. Vailians are the masters of seafaring and trade and have developed a number of ingenious inventions, but Defiance Bay (in the Dyrwood) is the heart of animancy study (the Vailian Republics are close allies and potential competitors). Dyrwoodans developed the Godhammer, which is the most advanced explosive ever known (though some suspect the inventors were divinely-inspired). The philosophers of Ixamitl are generally considered to be the wisest around and have the longest philosophical tradition. And despite all of those cultures' achievements, the Glanfathans still outpaced them all in astronomy. Glanfathan astronomy (which some believe was developed even earlier by their predecessors, the Engwithans) is what allowed the Vailians to develop the Iroccian calendar.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 22, 2014

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The people making stupid racist comments on 4chan have no idea what they're talking about? Surely you jest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Republican Vampire posted:

The people making stupid racist comments on 4chan have no idea what they're talking about? Surely you jest!

Well, this is new lore, so I guess they wouldn't have known if they cared to look for info on this game before they started putting on the Reich.

• Locked thread