Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The problem with UX is that business managerial types realized in the 2000s that UX designers if performance evaluated on poo poo like ad conversions can make A Lot of Money so now if you become a designer your life starts as "id really like to make software easier to use" in college and then becomes "guess i get fired if i dont increase cookie clicking by 150 bps this quarter, increase button size"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Remulak posted:

Yud’s job is writing dumb poo poo he doesn’t understand on the internet. No wonder he feels threatened by ChatGTP.

syq

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The general problem with UI is that if the designer wants to get paid, they have to comply with a list of demands from the customer/employer who thinks the pinnacle of comedy can be found in the humor pages of Reader's Digest.

dr_rat posted:

I like how it says "it shows signs of being better at financial tasks.".

Well mate, it would be hard to be loving worse than a lot of people on wall street. Setting the bar pretty bloody low here.
The only flaw with the classic study of comparing expert predictions to actual monkeys throwing darts at the Wall Street Journal is that they had to actually pay money for the WSJ.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The trend in UX design is easy to grasp once you realize they're optimizing for profit, not usability.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Remulak posted:

Yud’s job is writing dumb poo poo he doesn’t understand on the internet. No wonder he feels threatened by ChatGTP.

Also worth remembering that he is the leader of a cult that believes that Yudkowsky specifically is uniquely positioned to protect the world from Skynet, meaning that he personally profits from his cult members believing that Skynet is an imminent threat and recruits people to that cult by talking in public about how Skynet is imminent.

I don't think this makes him especially intelligent or anything, it just means that every single statement should be filtered through the fact that he has a financial incentive to exaggerate how powerful AI is or can be, and has no incentive to be sincere or to walk back wrong claims.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

mawarannahr posted:

I got this fun little browser that runs everything through the wayback machine. contemporary web design sucks so loving much. 2003-2007 were peak web imo.

what is the purpose? even on desktop things are huge

e:just remembered .net magazine and Hot Dog html editor

responsive/mobile-first design, where desktop gets to look like mobile because it's an afterthought

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
wikipedia ruined their layout

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cuttlefush posted:

optimizing for profit smh

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the UX folks I've met had terrible taste and were taught wrong and had no real chance of ever understanding the users (partly because of how fast everything - their education and application development - is expected to happen), and no interest in it either. and they always gotta put a custom font and replace default ui elements with flat stuff that has no outlines. this is on stuff without any boss breathing down your neck. don't get me started on personas

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

figma

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
whats a figma?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

withak posted:

whats a figma?

A little plastic toy that funds 4chan

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

mawarannahr posted:

optimizing for profit smh

reminder that when wikipedia had donation drives they did A/B testing and found out that the mere presence of a bitcoin payment option reduced the amount of donated money overall

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

ymgve posted:

reminder that when wikipedia had donation drives they did A/B testing and found out that the mere presence of a bitcoin payment option reduced the amount of donated money overall

Pretty sure that was Mozilla, but the rest is 100% accurate lol

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Flawlessai/status/1618954444510728192?s=20

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's great. When Trump says "I never said that" you can show the video of him saying it, and they can still claim it's fake news.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
is this why CGI looks so fake in movies with nine-digit+ budgets

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cuttlefush posted:

There's an extension that fixes it. Literally called Old Wiki. The bright side of weird UI nerds

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

withak posted:

whats a figma?

Figma balls lmao

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

don't get me started on personas

making up an imaginary friend who says im right

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's an extension that fixes it. Literally called Old Wiki. The bright side of weird UI nerds

I don't believe you even need an extension. Wikipedia has UI options you can set and choose from all the major layout revisions they've ever used.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

The Oldest Man posted:

The problem with UX is that business managerial types realized in the 2000s that UX designers if performance evaluated on poo poo like ad conversions can make A Lot of Money so now if you become a designer your life starts as "id really like to make software easier to use" in college and then becomes "guess i get fired if i dont increase cookie clicking by 150 bps this quarter, increase button size"

yep turns out new developments in the division of labor can’t change the logic of capitalism

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't believe you even need an extension. Wikipedia has UI options you can set and choose from all the major layout revisions they've ever used.

Do you have to sign in? Because that's the kicker and I ain't doing that poo poo. They might have changed it but at first you'd have to do it for every page you visited which is appalling

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Milo and POTUS posted:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

for now

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I had to install a chrome extension to keep using backspace to go back a page. They got rid of it. Who knows why. Insane world.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I had to install a chrome extension to keep using backspace to go back a page. They got rid of it. Who knows why. Insane world.

Alt-left-arrow is less likely to be done accidentally, I guess.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fitzy Fitz posted:

if you use safari, there's a great safari extension called StoptheMadness

Bring images to front helps save pics you often can't. Also the options can be set per domain

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 22:44 on Apr 2, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Web 3.0 involves a lot of typing into web pages, and losing work because you foolishly tried to erase the last character you typed was really annoying.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ruffian Price posted:

After 4 released people went onto hyping up

have they been recaptured yet?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

withak posted:

Web 3.0 involves a lot of typing into web pages, and losing work because you foolishly tried to erase the last character you typed was really annoying.

yeah this. Backspace to go back a page was just the worst idea ever and I have no idea why anyone thought it was a good idea.

Might as well just go a head and make the shift key format the hard disk or some poo poo.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
just finishing up this log web form, oh looks like i made a simple mistake aaaaaaaaaaand alll gone

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/MAiJiNTHEARTIST/status/1642743187201724418?s=20

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

withak posted:

Just add an option in the settings. And don't tell me that's too complicated and that it's better for everyone to have the same streamlined experience for some backend reason.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Options in the settings to revert every change in behavior since version 0.1 is an open-source plague.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

withak posted:

Options in the settings to revert every change in behavior since version 0.1 is an open-source plague.

yeah it's a huge problem in all these programs that have a settings screen, like uh... :confused:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
You're supposed to use the little thumb buttons on your huge RGB gamer mouse

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

the internet has become so intolerable to use that I spend my time on it on maybe a half dozen (non-work related) websites at most. and every time I get directed away and into a cookies thing or a wall of mobile ads or an interesting looking article that gets chopped off by some request to subscribe I just close the window and forget about it

i honestly have a hard time believing that people are so tolerant of their time being wasted like this that it remains a viable business strategy to put up as many roadblocks as possible between the content of your site and the people using it

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Mr. Sharps posted:

the internet has become so intolerable to use that I spend my time on it on maybe a half dozen (non-work related) websites at most. and every time I get directed away and into a cookies thing or a wall of mobile ads or an interesting looking article that gets chopped off by some request to subscribe I just close the window and forget about it

i honestly have a hard time believing that people are so tolerant of their time being wasted like this that it remains a viable business strategy to put up as many roadblocks as possible between the content of your site and the people using it

i basically just use sa and journals/journal searches now

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

I got this fun little browser that runs everything through the wayback machine. contemporary web design sucks so loving much. 2003-2007 were peak web imo.

what is the purpose? even on desktop things are huge

e:just remembered .net magazine and Hot Dog html editor

Basically just empty quoting this because I find the UI deterioration of the last ten or fifteen years to be really interesting, and annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

*runs into thread out of breath*

https://twitter.com/_PineSauce/status/1642717893023637506