Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Put it this way: What better safeguard will we ever have?

"Queen Elodie, why are the taxes so high?"

"My dear burghers, they are necessary to keep that Kraken over there from eating your boats."

"Queen Elodie, why is everyone with a Lumen crystal pressed into royal service, their every move tracked?"

"Kraken duty is every loyal Lumen's concern."

"Queen Elodie, your reign of terror is at an end!"

"Oh, really? and what do you propose to do about the Kraken?"

"Never mind."

"Thought not. Throw him in the dungeon."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
So we blew the treasury on soldiers and ships we didn't use and which are useless against the kraken we ourselves raised, and our only options are to drive the kingdom into ruin to pay for the cost of fixing our mistake, or to take responsibility and sacrifice ourselves for the good of the people.

To hell with the good of the people, we want to live! Try to seal the kraken, and get ready for a revolution.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I want to see the outcome of the Sacrifice option.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Seal it. It'll be nice to have around in case Shanjia builds another warfleet; we can just forget to renew the sealing enchantment for a month.

Knight Who Says Ni
Apr 26, 2014
We are all-in on magic this run, so let's go ahead and seal it.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Seal it, and if that doesn't work, sacrifice the priestess, that's what they're there for, right?

kick_the_penguin
Jul 8, 2012
We did cause it, so the right and moral thing to do is probably to sacrifice ourselves to save our people. However, you don't become queen by being a good person who protects people. Seal it.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
So those hidden cruelty checks we chatted about like 80 pages ago--had we passed them could we have sacrificed our cousin?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Probably could've sacrificed any of the known Lumens.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

gregory posted:

So those hidden cruelty checks we chatted about like 80 pages ago--had we passed them could we have sacrificed our cousin?

It wouldn't matter whether or not we passed those, just this one, just like failing an early skill check doesn't mean you can't pass a check for that same skill later. The earlier cruelty checks are helpful for knowing if you're on the right track for being able to sacrifice someone other than yourself, though: for example, if you are sad that some random servant died after stealing your chocolates, you are not going to be cruel enough to throw your cousin to the kraken.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Note that sacrificing Charlotte while her mother is still alive sounds like a good way to discover the full extent of the latter's powers.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Vadoc posted:

Probably could've sacrificed any of the known Lumens.

Not completely certain. Selene at least says that the kraken will only be sated by a child sacrifice:

MegaZeroX posted:

It is well-known that eldritch beasts can be driven out by... sacrifice. The life-force of a Lumen or potential Lumen on the cusp of adulthood, would be the ideal choice.

The possibility exists that Selene is just lying to protect herself and/or her girlfriend from the Tuxedo Princess's wrath, though.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
This game is called Long Live the Queen, not Sacrifice the Queen-to-Be and Be on Your Merry Way. Seal the Kraken.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Not completely certain. Selene at least says that the kraken will only be sated by a child sacrifice:

The possibility exists that Selene is just lying to protect herself and/or her girlfriend from the Tuxedo Princess's wrath, though.

Even if she were lying, if we said "Hey, Selene, what about you?" she could just say "A Lumen priestess has to perform the rituals!" (and that might even be true) and if we said "Then what about Julianna?" she might refuse to help. (Or, worse, refuse either to help us sacrifice Julianna or to help us seal the kraken non-sacrificially.) There's Lucille, but we have no reason to think she won't try to kill us for suggesting it. The wife-strangler is dead, but even if we'd let him escape we know he'd just try to kill us if we even let on that we knew he was a Lumen. We don't know of any other Lumens, since Elodie 3.0 doesn't know that Togami is a Lumen or that her father is a potential Lumen. (I mean, Charlotte's siblings are presumably also potential Lumens, but if we're not cruel enough to sacrifice her I can't imagine we'd be cruel enough to sacrifice them, and if we were okay with sacrificing her we could just, you know, sacrifice her.)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

zonohedron posted:

Even if she were lying, if we said "Hey, Selene, what about you?" she could just say "A Lumen priestess has to perform the rituals!" (and that might even be true) and if we said "Then what about Julianna?" she might refuse to help. (Or, worse, refuse either to help us sacrifice Julianna or to help us seal the kraken non-sacrificially.) There's Lucille, but we have no reason to think she won't try to kill us for suggesting it. The wife-strangler is dead, but even if we'd let him escape we know he'd just try to kill us if we even let on that we knew he was a Lumen. We don't know of any other Lumens, since Elodie 3.0 doesn't know that Togami is a Lumen or that her father is a potential Lumen. (I mean, Charlotte's siblings are presumably also potential Lumens, but if we're not cruel enough to sacrifice her I can't imagine we'd be cruel enough to sacrifice them, and if we were okay with sacrificing her we could just, you know, sacrifice her.)

Not to mention how exactly our Lumen Minister might react to us sacrificing her daughter.

Speaking of which, after we finish/die next, and after we do the naval battle with boats, I wanna go back in time to the ball and accuse Lucille. Something was fishy there and I didn't like it back then.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

HGH posted:

Not to mention how exactly our Lumen Minister might react to us sacrificing her daughter.

Speaking of which, after we finish/die next, and after we do the naval battle with boats, I wanna go back in time to the ball and accuse Lucille. Something was fishy there and I didn't like it back then.

We could save accusing Lucille for an Elodie who plans to duel Togami directly, too. (Or MegaZeroX may have a planned route through the game that involves accusing Lucille; if he doesn't, and if he doesn't just go back and accuse Lucille, I'd be interested in showing that off (and incidentally passing a few other skill checks we've failed along the way).)

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 10, 2014

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Seal it, I wonder if we'll end as a prisoner of some new monarch/government, whose life is worth something as long as the ritual is performed.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Seal it. I was originally going to go with sacrifice since after the (probable) death we could just go back and take the alternative or even further back and send the expensive navy that we bankrupted Nova to build.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Ephemeron posted:

Given that our subjects are already writing hilarious/horrible poems about Elodie and the squid, I vote to seal.

If we sacrifice ourselves now, history will remember us as that naughty princess who died trying to hump a kraken. Like Catherine the Great but with more tentacles.

This is possibly the best post in this thread that didn't involve a picture of Joslyn in a Magical Girl Outfit. I'm going to second this vote.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Voting is closed.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Outfit

Magical Girl: 1

Tux: 1 - Won via RNG

Uniform: 1

Kraken

Try to seal it: 36

Sacrifice Yourself: 21

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Magic got us into this, it can get us out. Seal that bugger up!

EDIT: Bah, just missed the vote!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

We'll have to do our best to seal the kraken away, no matter how long it takes.

After all, isn't that what our magic is for? To defend the world from darkness?

I will teach you the necessary spells. You must arrange the transportation.

Very well.

As usual, vote for 2 classes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't see how anything could help us right now, but might as well continue with public speaking.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Magic got us into this, it can get us out. Seal that bugger up!

EDIT: Bah, just missed the vote!

At least you voted for the winning side? :sparkles:

Let's study Reflexes x2.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Decoration x2 Cause why not?

Can I still make my anti-tux vote, or is that already determined because I thought we were just voting for our decision to seal the kraken.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Uh, ciphering and poison. Yeah.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Broenheim posted:

Decoration x2 Cause why not?

Can I still make my anti-tux vote, or is that already determined because I thought we were just voting for our decision to seal the kraken.

You can vote for outfits still, people can vote for mood/outfit whenever they want. Though I think Elodie 2.1's death scarred you too much. You need to learn how to trust the tux again, so I'm going to throw in a vote for the tux. We need to look like we are rich so people still think we are!

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

MegaZeroX posted:

You can vote for outfits still, people can vote for mood/outfit whenever they want. Though I think Elodie 2.1's death scarred you too much. You need to learn how to trust the tux again, so I'm going to throw in a vote for the tux. We need to look like we are rich so people still think we are!

Never! The tux betrayed us! I'd rather die then wear that hideous monstrosity.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

MegaZeroX posted:

You can vote for outfit still, people can vote for mood/outfit whenever they want. I think Elodie 2.1's death scarred you too much. You need to learn how to trust the tux again, so I'm going to throw in a vote for the tux. We need to look like we are rich so people still think we are!

I'm convinced! Wear the tux and visit the treasury this weekend so we know how long it'll be before we're rich again!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
In Tux We Trust to deliver us from the kraken.

Also let's study public speaking x1 and reflexes x1.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

2x Running because boy howdy the proletariat's gonna be angry, and those fuckers with pitchforks move fast

Also, wear the magical girl outfit to make dead damned sure the sealing works (can a skill check go over 100? i don't care wear it anyway)

FelistheIdiot
Dec 10, 2011
We're going to hit a wall with public speaking, so we should do flattery and court manners on the side.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Ciphering*2 and see if we can unlock the intel garb.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

FelistheIdiot posted:

We're going to hit a wall with public speaking, so we should do flattery and court manners on the side.
Yes, this.

Also down with the treasonous tux.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The way I see it we can fix this either through some sweet public speaking, or by becoming an economics wizard and earning enough cash to keep Plan Kraken going long enough. Given our skills, the plan to most likely to succeed is economics, so study that and wear the tux for the extra bonus.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

AJ_Impy posted:

Ciphering*2 and see if we can unlock the intel garb.

This.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The way I see it we can fix this either through some sweet public speaking, or by becoming an economics wizard and earning enough cash to keep Plan Kraken going long enough. Given our skills, the plan to most likely to succeed is economics, so study that and wear the tux for the extra bonus.

Yup, yup. I second everything here.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Be a magical girl and learn public speaking so we can convince the rabble to back us for seven years of magicking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
We still have no idea what to look out for, so I guess we can just dump points into random poo poo.

Lore x2, though I'm not sure if that'll help us at all now.

• Locked thread