Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

OMG posted:

Are bière de gardes supposed to be almost flat? Like, non-existent carbonation? Had one last night, and it was pretty meh.

A Biere de Garde should be carbed like a saison. It's also a style that a lot of US breweries get wrong so you may have just had a bad interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMG
Jul 14, 2007

HatfulOfHollow posted:

A Biere de Garde should be carbed like a saison. It's also a style that a lot of US breweries get wrong so you may have just had a bad interpretation.

Alright, now I know what to actually expect. It was a Cuvée du 7ème by BFM by the way, so I blame Swiss and their Alp water.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

OMG posted:

Alright, now I know what to actually expect. It was a Cuvée du 7ème by BFM by the way, so I blame Swiss and their Alp water.

BFM BdGs are a bit different. They can certainly be flat, but I'm pretty sure it's because they tend to go north of 10%

They also tend towards harsh alcohol and vinegar, but when they hit that good spot they hit it hard.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Off work today, so I domed a couple of 10%+ beers last night:

Greenbush Delusion - krustster sent me this "imperial cream stout aged in whiskey barrels" as an extra. Pretty strong on the whiskey, the cream stout didn't stand up to it. Felt more like a porter with a shot of whiskey in it, and in fact reminded me of Foothills BBA Porter, which I don't love either. Just like more sweetness to go with my whiskey!

Bruery 8 Maids A Milking - Total Wine had them on clearance for $4.99, so I picked up one. Maybe it was just Bruery bias, but it felt like it had a slight sourness. The aroma especially was unappealing. I suppose it could have been the lactose, and the off-taste was not 'bad', it was just meh. At least it was cheap?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Last night I hit The Twisted Spoke for a couple goodbye drinks for a friend who is moving to DC this weekend. Taplist was killer as always (Parabola!) and I got to try Lagunita's High Westified finally. I'm assuming it was last year's, and I can see why people loved it. Creamy coffee, nice vanilla, didn't get much rye spice but definitely a beer to look out for if they release it again.

Also, the bartender served it in a pint glass. GOOD BAR VALUE.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I was super impressed by high Westified. At like 6.99 a bomber it's definitely the best value I've had in a while.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

LeafHouse posted:

I was super impressed by high Westified. At like 6.99 a bomber it's definitely the best value I've had in a while.

Also for an $8 pint at a bar...

OMG
Jul 14, 2007

ChickenArise posted:

BFM BdGs are a bit different. They can certainly be flat, but I'm pretty sure it's because they tend to go north of 10%

They also tend towards harsh alcohol and vinegar, but when they hit that good spot they hit it hard.

Ah, okay. This was a 7.5% beer, was slightly sour and vinegary, but the lack of carbonation made it seem like slightly sour water. I got it because it was standing next to the ã225, which I got as well and expect to be good. Well, according to untappd and untappd friends anyway.

Something non-BdG; saved 2 Arctic Soirees from shelf turddom, also got Three Floyds Wiseblood and Behemoth, Brasserie Dupont's Avril, and grabbed a random bottle which ended up being Weizentea by Birrificio Grado Plato to get to my 10% discount.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

LeafHouse posted:

I like Rye on its own but I'm not super crazy about Rye BA beers. That said high westified was wonderful. I squirreled away a bottle so it's nice to know it's still holding up

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
Sorry for the double post but....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct-goose-island-sells-original-brewpub-to-anheuserbusch-20160219-story.html

Now the GI clybourn events will be poo poo. Or non existent. Oh well.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

That explains the Cuvee De RandomShit

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

a worthy uhh posted:

That explains the Cuvee De RandomShit

That was a Fulton project, not the previously-independent Clybourn.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Compusaurus posted:

Sorry for the double post but....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct-goose-island-sells-original-brewpub-to-anheuserbusch-20160219-story.html

Now the GI clybourn events will be poo poo. Or non existent. Oh well.

I guess hopefully this helps Clybourn stay open instead of dealing with horrible lease negotiations?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

danbanana posted:

That was a Fulton project, not the previously-independent Clybourn.

It was just a dumb bad joke plz don't factcheck me

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Thanks to the two goons so far who sent boxes of beer from the Superbowl thing!

Box #1 from zonacat:
Bike Dog IPA
Mother of All Storms
Device Brewing Co - Brits in Moscow RIS

Box #2 from Furious Lobster!
Smog City Cuddlebug
Smog City Snugglebug

Very excited to drink all these beers, thanks dudes!

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 19, 2016

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

a worthy uhh posted:

Thanks to the two goons so far who sent boxes of beer from the Superbowl thing!

Box #1 from zonacat:
Bike Dog IPA
Mother of All Storms
Device Brewing Co - Brits in Moscow RIS

Box #2 from MunchE I think?
Smog City Cuddlebug
Smog City Snugglebug

Very excited to drink all these beers, thanks dudes!

Box #2 is from me unless MunchE sent the same beers.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Furious Lobster posted:

!! Thank you!!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Wouldn't that be embarrassing!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
My stuff for ChickenArise and AWU will go out early/mid next week. Bit of a delay but whatever you're getting free beer :boom:

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Furious Lobster posted:

It wouldn't shock me if three people in the same region all sent the Snuggle/Cuddlebugs (since they're delicious). With that said, I can't speak for MunchE but I will not be sending those two exact same bottles as I had planned. Good thing so many breweries had great recent bottle releases...

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Zam posted:

It wouldn't shock me if three people in the same region all sent the Snuggle/Cuddlebugs (since they're delicious). With that said, I can't speak for MunchE but I will not be sending those two exact same bottles as I had planned. Good thing so many breweries had great recent bottle releases...

I only got 1/ea of Cuddle and Snuggle so I'll be sending something else. Maybe something not sour

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

It would have been really funny if 3 people sent me the same 2 beers.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Zaepho posted:

I'm curious about this statement, other than Simplification for simplification's sake, what drove the switch (or what drove the need/desire for the simplification?)

we do everything by hand and print out barcodes on Avery labels, so having a big stack of those makes our lives easier.

checked out the new Stone taproom today; it was a Stone taproom, i guess. the most interesting thing- besides the incredibly loud, commercial-interrupted grunge Pandora station- was that what was supposed to be a soft opening for industry folks was not because one of the servers posted about it on facebook. oops. fortunately, we're going back next week to get another tour without all the extra people around.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Trip report: pineapple sculpin is better than regular sculpin. I'm enjoying it. So that's like a B+ review in my mind.

Edit: also total wine sent me a $5 coupon so I went over and used it to get Funky Buddha's Last Snow for half off. Last years was good but all the nerds are saying it was better than this years. Allahu ackbar I'm going to try it later.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 20, 2016

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Cuvee Rene Kriek is a good deal for $12. Kind of acetic, but a solid funk. BUY SOME LINDEMANS, SNOBS.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

danbanana posted:

Cuvee Rene Kriek is a good deal for $12. Kind of acetic, but a solid funk. BUY SOME LINDEMANS, SNOBS.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René actually owns more than most sours on the market and I can reliably buy it at my corner store.

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
Lagunitas apparently quietly Re-released citrusiness or however the heck you spell it as the first one hitter of the year. Just started showing up at stores yesterday. Need to go grab some that stuff was awesome last year and went quick.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Trip report: pineapple sculpin is better than regular sculpin. I'm enjoying it. So that's like a B+ review in my mind.

Edit: also total wine sent me a $5 coupon so I went over and used it to get Funky Buddha's Last Snow for half off. Last years was good but all the nerds are saying it was better than this years. Allahu ackbar I'm going to try it later.

I guess my major problem with sculpin of any variety is that in any given shop I see it in, there are at least a dozen IPAs that are just as good if not better and none of them will be $14 or $15 for a 6-pack. poo poo, some of them might be on sale for half that.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Hauki posted:

I guess my major problem with sculpin of any variety is that in any given shop I see it in, there are at least a dozen IPAs that are just as good if not better and none of them will be $14 or $15 for a 6-pack. poo poo, some of them might be on sale for half that.

That is entirely my problem with it as well. It's good but hopefully anyone reading this post has access to something not owned by abinbev and is far fresher than sculpin. I just got it because I'm a tickering whore who has to be able to have a first hand opinion on whatever I can.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Double post: apparently Toppling Goliath's pseudo sue is in distro in Florida thanks to the brew hub. So for all two of you guys who this applies to: happy hunting.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
Long time reader, first time poster. I live in Astoria, NY and my girlfriends family lives in Connecticut so we end up with a lot of Connecticut beer.

Tonight I went to the "Craft Sippin' New Britain" event at the New Britain museum of American art. It was actually my first beer festival, so was an interesting experience. It was funny that every brewery had a stout and a double IPA

Highlights:
Smoke & Dagger - Jacks Abby: I love rauchbier, so the little bit of smoke was nice in a dark lager
Lights on Summer Ale - Charter Oak: this one was a surprise. It was a light ale that tasted like roses. I'd never been impressed by charter oak before, so this was a great way to end the night.
Madame Rose -Goose Island: somehow haven't had this. A nice, light sour that was a nice contrast with all of the stouts and double ipas.

Lowlights:
Nitro White Ale - Sam Adams: tasted solely like coriander but in a bad way. Funny because I had a coworker say it was the best beer he's ever had.

Overall, was a fun first go at a pretty lightweight beer event.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

zonacat posted:

Lagunitas apparently quietly Re-released citrusiness or however the heck you spell it as the first one hitter of the year. Just started showing up at stores yesterday. Need to go grab some that stuff was awesome last year and went quick.

Hell yes I was kicking myself for only buying a six pack of it last year.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

Double post: apparently Toppling Goliath's pseudo sue is in distro in Florida thanks to the brew hub. So for all two of you guys who this applies to: happy hunting.

It's fine. I'm betting there's a local brewery doing something just as good or better.

Popped a Moody Tongue Chocolate Bourbon Barrel Barleywine. I've never had a beer that tastes more like melted milk chocolate. This is obscenely rich.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

danbanana posted:

It's fine. I'm betting there's a local brewery doing something just as good or better.

Popped a Moody Tongue Chocolate Bourbon Barrel Barleywine. I've never had a beer that tastes more like melted milk chocolate. This is obscenely rich.

Moody Tongue is horrible in my experiance. The lemon saison tastes like cleaning solution, chocolate churro stout tastes more like chocolate milk than beer, and the nectorine IPA is decent and overpriced at best.

Remember this is the same brewer who made a $100 a bottle truffle pilsner.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
So, this year's Triplicity is a very nice Tripel, and yet another winner from Four Winds. It seems like it'll age well, so I hope I can find some more.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Fat Lou posted:

Moody Tongue is horrible in my experiance. The lemon saison tastes like cleaning solution, chocolate churro stout tastes more like chocolate milk than beer, and the nectorine IPA is decent and overpriced at best.

Remember this is the same brewer who made a $100 a bottle truffle pilsner.

The nectarine IPA was tasty but had obscene over carbonation.

This beer is liquid chocolate in the best way. It's as good of a dessert beer as I can think of.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

I just drank 10 ounces of 4 Hands The Woodsman aged in apple brandy barrels. It smelled and tasted of apple brandy, to be sure. Apparently the style is imperial stout, but the mouthfeel was more reminiscent of an old ale. Very thin for a stout. I guess it was good if you like apples and brandy. I went ahead and had another 10 ounces hoping that the keg would kick so the rest of the loving beer nerds in this town would miss out. That'll teach you for truck-chasing while I'm stuck at work.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

danbanana posted:

Going to try one of these tonight. It has had rave reviews so I'm pretty excited!

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

HF BBA Everett may be one of the best barrel aged beers I've had in my lifetime. There's nothing to complain about, and every aspect of the beer (from the head to the initial mouthfeel to the flavor to the finish) is spot-on what you'd want.

The first time I'd had it was after a whole mess of stuff at a share so I was worried that I was in the end-of-share generosity zone, but a much fresher perspective today was equally as mindblowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

danbanana posted:

Is this an endorsement? I picked up a couple bottles with the intent of drinking it with desert tonight.

Instead we got derailed by a Double Daisy Cutter, Oddsides Java Chip and Crooked Stave Origin (thank you for leaving this crazyfish!). And uh this year's Sucaba which we are drinking now instead of the moody tongue.