Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

Why you are trying to blame us for something we didn't spec out, purchase, install, or setup?

I'd open every conversation with that phrase.

"The camera is broken again!?"
"We would be happy to investigate the failure in this system that we did not spec out, purchase, install, or setup."

And then bill their department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
poo poo pissing me off this morning: Focus stealing.

Why is this even a thing applications are allowed to do? Can anyone actually give me a good reason for one application to be able to steal focus from another?

I get that modal dialogs within an application can occasionally be a necessary evil, but it's really annoying when I'm trying to log in to one of my servers right as I'm freshly booting up my PC, Slack gets around to starting up, and then I've typed half my password in to #general rather than the SSH session I was typing in to previously.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The best part was we kept all of our 240p (?) analog cameras from the old system. A couple of them are super lovely and you can't see anything because of electrical interference etc.

So everytime we have an 'incident' that happens where the old cameras are, we then order a new HD camera for that area so we can you know, see, next time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

wolrah posted:

Why is this even a thing applications are allowed to do? Can anyone actually give me a good reason for one application to be able to steal focus from another?

I get that modal dialogs within an application can occasionally be a necessary evil, but it's really annoying when I'm trying to log in to one of my servers right as I'm freshly booting up my PC, Slack gets around to starting up, and then I've typed half my password in to #general rather than the SSH session I was typing in to previously.

I hate that when a user thinks their computer is locked up but there's some notification window or dialog waiting for input buried somewhere

Also: Not quite the same thing, but still...

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20110310-00/?p=11253

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wolrah posted:

Photoshop is the worst program in the world at this. Click the icon to start it up and swap to another window, it will pop back to the front at least three times before it finishes loading and allows you to use your computer again.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

buttchugging adderall posted:

Technical debt keeps biting us in the rear end but the Product team has decided that all QA automation work is tech debt work, so we shouldn't be allowed to actually fix up poor infrastructural decisions in the code as we follow a 50/30/20 features/bugs/tech debt system.

Conflict of interest. Product has no direct stake in the stability of the existing system, or code refactoring, or development infrastructure. They only care to the point where it affects new feature development (which means they don't care at all because that stuff is non-trivial to quantify). Where I am, Product has a long history of pushing the cheapest, dirtiest hack so we "can at least give [the customer] something." Naturally what we give the customer is usually a pretty lovely experience, and/or has bugs in all but the happiest paths.

The only solution my team has been able to come up that has any effect has been to aggressively, hilariously "overestimate" effort for any given thing. I put that word in quotes because our estimates have become more accurate by doing this. I wouldn't normally attach "cost of being interrupted all the time for outages or emergency bugfixes" to any otherwise unrelated story, but it's the only way Product can understand the consequences of a decade of no planning. Also, devs are ridiculously bad at estimating to begin with so in general this has resulted in us being more accurate.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Lol, I just looked up my employer on Glassdoor and all the 5 star reviews (7/25) are from 'Current Employees' and the rest range from 'OK' to 'IT sweatshop'.

I should have looked before I took this job.

:negative:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

wolrah posted:

*twitches*

A previous job had a in-house ticketing system who loved to focus steal for eveeything. That poo poo was terrible to deal with and took a lot pusback to get the dev team to change.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wolrah posted:

OSX is bad for it too when using multiple desktops. I really wish I could turn it off.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Took the helpdesk two+ weeks to replace the fan in my lovely HP laptop, only to give it back to me with sound completely broken somehow. In my last job I would have just ordered a spare and had it replaced in <30min myself but now that I'm in an org where my department alone is 3x the size of my last company, I have to let 5 different people touch it to get it fixed.

Kinda miss the occasional hands on work of small org sysadmin life. :(

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A number HP models have a speaker cable that is routed across the fan assembly, 100 to 1 they had to unplug it to get the fan in and forgot to plug it back in.

cZk
Oct 6, 2014

i am a flight risk
and i am in flight

Zil posted:

*twitches*

A previous job had a in-house ticketing system who loved to focus steal for eveeything. That poo poo was terrible to deal with and took a lot pusback to get the dev team to change.

skype for business on mac does that, so many times ive been typing as a call has came in and i hit spacebar and it answered it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Gotta love a NOC that gives you a new answer every half hour.

Their on-site guys are working.

Oh wait, they're packing up to leave shortly.

No, they're still working.

Yeah, NOC guy's colleague is talking to the on-site guys on the phone right now. Oh, I guess he can ask them for an update instead of trying to fob me off with a blind ETR almost-blatantly pulled out of his rear end in a top hat. One moment please...

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I just found out my team lead turned in his notice. His last day will be Friday :smith:

Not only is he a cool dude, but he's probably the single most knowledgeable person outside of the Architecture team and has been an incredibly valuable resource for learning this poo poo. We're about to lose SO much tribal knowledge.....

I have no idea what's going to happen moving forward. We were already the smallest team by a wide margin, now I will be the only developer left who isn't a contractor in Belarus. Oddly I'll also be the only man left other than one of the Belarus remotes.

I really want them to just break up the team and scatter us to the other teams (I'd love to go back to my old team they yanked me from two months ago), but I'm really dreading that they might bump me up to team lead and stick some of the new hires under me. I figured I'd do that eventually....just not after only six months here. Still fighting imposter syndrome hard at this job, I have no idea if I could handle that.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
just whatever you do never turn down a promotion because once you do you'll never get offered it again

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Fool posted:

A number HP models have a speaker cable that is routed across the fan assembly, 100 to 1 they had to unplug it to get the fan in and forgot to plug it back in.

I assume it was a fuckup during re-install, though my USB speaker bar also stopped working which seems like it would not be the case if the onboard speaker(s) got disconnected. :shrug:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

nielsm posted:

Printers.

Are you also having issues with high humidity and page curl causing jams? Because boy is it hard to get people to believe that it's the humidity. Of course if you get fed up and prove it by moving a "broken" printer to the server room and it works there you clearly fixed it! You broke it again after moving it back. You have some kind of Nefarious plan to remove all printers by saying they don't work in the summer even though this has never been an issue before. Oh wait my mistake it has, graph printer tickets and humidity on the same graph, they correlate). I guess you could also read that as printer problems create humidity :haw:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I bet printer sales year over year correlates nicely to global temperature increase year over year as well.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Periodically when I sign up for webinar events from our LMS vendor, they manage to get my email into the sales prospects lists and one of their reps will try to contact me. I got just such an email today. I want to punch this email.

To: Macaroni@work.com
Subject: Can we be F.R.I.E.N.D.S?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

No jury would convict you

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Macaroni posted:

Periodically when I sign up for webinar events from our LMS vendor, they manage to get my email into the sales prospects lists and one of their reps will try to contact me. I got just such an email today. I want to punch this email.

To: Macaroni@work.com
Subject: Can we be F.R.I.E.N.D.S?

User has been blocked

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What an unfortunate Moniker he has

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

~cloud~ VoIP provider is pissing me off. They normally piss me off because their service is terrible, currently attempting to figure out why there is a charge on a different bill for $120 billed at $60/hr for 2hr.

Purchasing already called multiple times over the last 2 months and wasn't able to get more than a "we'll call you back in a few days after we figure it out". Which is basically what they told me. They can't tell me what it's for other than it has to be paid. I don't want to deal with this bullshit. They already know we're leaving at the end of our terms, bonus, purchasing sat on it so long it will be an unpaid bill for 90 days in a few weeks! That means they can turn our phones off! Not that that will be all that different, a few times a week our number comes up as no longer available.

boring poo poo:
Legal has looked at our SLA, it's terrible, IT wasn't aware of this phone system until boxes arrived addressed to IT, basically they have to have more than 20 hours of down time in 2 consecutive months before there are any penalties, which is to break the contract we only have to pay 50% the remaining balance, not 100%

prediction:
CFO is going to put her foot down because she hates feeling like she's getting hosed over. They are going to kill our service, after a few days without phones legal will tell us to just pay it since the amount isn't worth it and we need phones.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

pixaal posted:

prediction:
CFO is going to put her foot down because she hates feeling like she's getting hosed over. They are going to kill our service, after a few days without phones legal will tell us to just pay it since the amount isn't worth it and we need phones.

*nods sagely* yup

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Che Delilas posted:

Conflict of interest. Product has no direct stake in the stability of the existing system, or code refactoring, or development infrastructure. They only care to the point where it affects new feature development (which means they don't care at all because that stuff is non-trivial to quantify). Where I am, Product has a long history of pushing the cheapest, dirtiest hack so we "can at least give [the customer] something." Naturally what we give the customer is usually a pretty lovely experience, and/or has bugs in all but the happiest paths.

The only solution my team has been able to come up that has any effect has been to aggressively, hilariously "overestimate" effort for any given thing. I put that word in quotes because our estimates have become more accurate by doing this. I wouldn't normally attach "cost of being interrupted all the time for outages or emergency bugfixes" to any otherwise unrelated story, but it's the only way Product can understand the consequences of a decade of no planning. Also, devs are ridiculously bad at estimating to begin with so in general this has resulted in us being more accurate.

Ideally when you make one product (we're a SaaS company) Product would have a stake in it, you know, working all the time. Our solution so far is for the leads of each team to be very, very aggressive with refusing any work that is inadequately specced out. During grooming we will mention that there are issues that need answers and if they aren't answered by planning, we refuse to put the ticket into the sprint.

This has lead to some very fun sprint planning meetings, but things have definitely gotten a lot better over the past few sprints.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

poo poo not pissing me off: being sent to Seattle for a conference in an insanely opulent hotel full of original Chihuly glass, the hotel upgrading me to an even nicer room because check-in took like one minute longer than it should have, the conference providing unlimited free food and booze, and discovering upon arrival that Washington has legal weed. Pretty good work week so far.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Weedle posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: being sent to Seattle for a conference in an insanely opulent hotel full of original Chihuly glass, the hotel upgrading me to an even nicer room because check-in took like one minute longer than it should have, the conference providing unlimited free food and booze, and discovering upon arrival that Washington has legal weed. Pretty good work week so far.

Your gonna get piss tested when you get home

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I booked a 2 week business trip yesterday on my Discover card. I get 5% cash back next month in all restaurants , and I get a $25/meal comp.

I’m going to have so much cash back next month.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ratbert90 posted:

I booked a 2 week business trip yesterday on my Discover card. I get 5% cash back next month in all restaurants , and I get a $25/meal comp.

I’m going to have so much cash back next month.
Make sure you tip well.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Weedle posted:

In this heat make sure to get Mora ice cream. You’ll thank me for it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

buttchugging adderall posted:

Ideally when you make one product (we're a SaaS company) Product would have a stake in it, you know, working all the time.

gently caress me, you'd think so wouldn't you?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Make sure you tip well.

I always do.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I got chided on an expense report that the company policy is to only tip 15%, because apparently throwing Lyft drivers two extra dollars isn't fiscally responsible.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

I got chided on an expense report that the company policy is to only tip 15%, because apparently throwing Lyft drivers two extra dollars isn't fiscally responsible.

Bastards

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I just tip from personal funds.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

I just tip from personal funds.

Yeah, I'm just gonna keep doing 20%+ and they can just not reimburse me for the tips if they feel so strongly about it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

wolrah posted:

Every goddamn IDE's debugger seems to do this. I found a setting to "turn it off" in Pycharm on linux and now instead of stealing focus it removes focus from the current window. :rolleyes:

Things I searched for this thread to complain about :

- a major bank that has case-insensitive passwords
- a less major bank with an online support system where you enter a message and it deletes the whole thing if you use a special character: "Message may not contain any of the following characters: < > \ ' " % ; ( ) & + ". Although it doesn't say so, commas and dollar signs are also forbidden.

mewse
May 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

Every goddamn IDE's debugger seems to do this. I found a setting to "turn it off" in Pycharm on linux and now instead of stealing focus it removes focus from the current window. :rolleyes:

Things I searched for this thread to complain about :

- a less major bank with an online support system where you enter a message and it deletes the whole thing if you use a special character: "Message may not contain any of the following characters: < > \ ' " % ; ( ) & + ". Although it doesn't say so, commas and dollar signs are also forbidden.

Can’t do SQL injection if you can’t enter punctuation!!

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

Avatar post combo, also welcome to Seattle the summer days are amazing right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

eXXon posted:

This isn't as big a deal as you think, especially if the account gets locked down after a low number of failed attempts. Blizzard converted all WoW passwords to be case-insensitive at some point, it drastically cut down on support calls for forgotten passwords and didn't have any noticeable effect on hacked accounts. WoW gets more hacked accounts than banks do.

The real issue is the limiting of password length. It doesn't take too long to hack any character but 6 characters long. If you gave me 200 characters lowcase only I'd feel pretty secure with my password.

I'd rather have a password of "lowtax broke his back and all he got was a lousy robot spine" than "$fJ4&g"

You have problem if your bank doesn't make you call and verify after 3 or 4 failed attempts, it doesn't really matter what your password is if the account gets locked down after a very limited number of attempts.

That said I'd much rather have a password of "Lowtax's back was broken by a dog, all he got was a lousy robot spin!" caps, special characters, and it's long!