Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Doctor Jeep posted:

are manual transmission cars that much better than automatic though? I live in europe where MT is practically the norm and I've always seen it as a hassle and automatics as better. although I don't drive so I have no personal experience with either.

They're not better at all in any practical sense, it's just that the demand for them has been reduced down to people who enjoy driving them. So you basically have a group of people saying "I don't like driving an automatic" with almost zero new car options available.

Part of the problem is that there's like 100% overlap between this market and people who want "sporty" cars, and manufacturers have been ditching manual transmissions from those models since they can get better performance from automatics or DCTs. That pushes even more of those buyers into the used market since manufacturers aren't letting them buy higher-end models with bigger engines with the transmissions that they want.

This is also why you don't see the same kind of price inflation in economy cars, where manuals are still somewhat more common. They're usually harder to sell and go for a little bit less in those cases.

edit- basically you can get almost any price you want when someone will fly in from six states away to buy your old piece of poo poo sight unseen

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 18:44 on Mar 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Doctor Jeep posted:

are manual transmission cars that much better than automatic though? I live in europe where MT is practically the norm and I've always seen it as a hassle and automatics as better. although I don't drive so I have no personal experience with either.

they have some devoted fans and in general you don't see them in north america anymore, so the people who want them typically have to go out of their way to get them. manuals generally had a huge fuel economy advantage when the alternative was 3 speed + overdrive automatics, but with 5+ gear autos and cvt, that's not the case anymore. they are even falling out of favor on supercars as the sequential double clutch systems they use now can shift far faster than any human (shift speeds are measured in milliseconds)

The_Franz has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Mar 27, 2021

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

PawParole posted:

Mormon Church bought a billon dollars worth of tesla . why does a church have 100 billon dollars?
just in case

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

PawParole posted:

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/mormon-church-100-billion-fund-buys-tesla-stock-grows-stake-2021-3-1030251777

Mormon Church bought a billon dollars worth of tesla . why does a church have 100 billon dollars?

so they can build that big ship like in Leviathan Wakes

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

they have some devoted fans and in general you don't see them in north america anymore, so the people who want them typically have to go out of their way to get them. manuals generally had a huge fuel economy advantage when the alternative was 3 speed + overdrive automatics, but with 5+ gear autos and cvt, that's not the case anymore. they are even falling out of favor on supercars as the sequential double clutch systems they use now can shift far faster than any human (shift speeds are measured in milliseconds)

I assume with a supercar, driving it is part of the fun. Shifting speed doesn't seem all that relevant.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

oxsnard posted:

ya so spot vol on SPY and the largest components of the index shot through the roof, causing... spot VIX to crater. It's rad, the disconnect is hilarious

https://mobile.twitter.com/Gold_Mansack/status/1375849194875973633

He turned 16 million into 15 billion in a few years, and he lost it all in one day lol.

PawParole has issued a correction as of 19:09 on Mar 27, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

I assume with a supercar, driving it is part of the fun. Shifting speed doesn't seem all that relevant.

Shift speed is super important to the people who buy supercars and the people who sell them. Neither group is interested in driving fun, it is entirely about conspicuous consumption and boondoggles for their own sake. You can have far more fun in a rundown old piece of poo poo with a manual and rear wheel drive than any modern hypercar.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

PawParole posted:

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/mormon-church-100-billion-fund-buys-tesla-stock-grows-stake-2021-3-1030251777

mormon church has 100 billion dollars because every mormon is obligated to tithe 10% of their income

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Shear Modulus posted:

mormon church has 100 billion dollars because every mormon is obligated to tithe 10% of their income

Isn't the mormon church like 99% of the reason South Africa turned into a racist shithole

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

But first, back to canals. Our creator did a fine job with Planet Earth but if you were to nit-pick, she perhaps didn’t think enough about the needs of the shipping and oil industries.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-03-27/suez-ever-given-fiasco-shows-civilization-is-more-vulnerable-than-we-think

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

MorrisBae posted:

Isn't the mormon church like 99% of the reason South Africa turned into a racist shithole

there weren’t many Mormons in South Africa before 1972 (mostly because white South Africans weren’t white enough for the Mormon church)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

MorrisBae posted:

i think you're thinking of the british and the dutch

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I know how I'm gonna pay my rent from now on.

e: Oops, wrong thread. May as well post it here though:

Falstaff posted:

Saw this come across my feed. Manager quits after a disagreement with his boss, boss pays him his last paycheck in the least convenient way he can imagine.

https://twitter.com/WNDU/status/1374916698101452801

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

saw this in a local news article today

quote:

The median sales price of single-family homes rose more than 10% percent in 88% of U.S. metro areas, pushing the monthly mortgage payment for a typical single-family home up to $1,040 in February, according to the National Association of Realtors.

I'm really curious how they determine the bolded part, given

a) mortgages can have different terms
b) mortgages can have different down payments

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Elman posted:

If it's an accepted form of payment in your lease, go hog wild. But I'll bet you're restricted to a check or electronic payment.

You can definitely do that to pay a ticket, though. Legal tender, bitches.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1375830319383916552

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Elman posted:

poor dude needs the money so bad he's scrubbing every penny off so he can deposit them :smith:

quote:

Flaten said his new routine is now to sit in his garage at night and clean off the pennies with a solution of dish soap, vinegar, and water. Even with the solution, it's hard to get the pennies clean.

He said it took him about an hour and a half to clean off several hundred.

"I think that’s going to be a lot of work for money I’ve already worked for," he said. "It’s going to be hours upon hours of just thing to clean this money up so that it’s even able to be spent. It’s definitely not fair at all."

:d2a:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/2603.TW?p=2603.TW&.tsrc=fin-srch

Slight dip over the past week but still around an all time high.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

PawParole posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Gold_Mansack/status/1375849194875973633

He turned 16 million into 15 billion in a few years, and he lost it all in one day lol.

Get him an account

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

quote:

FOX 5 did speak with the owner of the business over the phone. He said he paid Flaten in U.S. currency and did not want to be a part of the story.

if he did this to me he'd absolutely be part of a news story and it would be a fuckload more shocking than pulling that pennies poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

strong wind cant push a 5 million ton freighter up out of a dredged lane so far that it becomes scuttled over like 60% of its length probably i would imagine

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I bet they didn't renew thier dlc subscription and the nav went crazy

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Former DILF posted:

I have to apologize for my absence, I have been gallivanting on twitter, but please, I want CSPAM to understand that I love it for what it is regardless of the disagreements I may have had with individuals on and off this forum

also, I apologize for passing off my twitter posts as content

https://twitter.com/FormerDILF/status/1375764038148231172

That's a neat contraption! What lovely things creative and handy people come up with and build :)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/1375575310461063168

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
the date has to be photoshopped in this right?

no freaking way

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

so if its not wind then the person steering the ship deffo did something like try to steer with his feet, right?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Xaris posted:

the date has to be photoshopped in this right?

no freaking way

I google image searched and found two news articles.

https://taiwanenglishnews.com/truck-carrying-evergreen-container-causes-traffic-jam-in-china-picture-goes-viral/

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Keep the thread title until it eventually gets free

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

hahahaha no way

christ the simulation is breaking down

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Xaris posted:

hahahaha no way

christ the simulation is breaking down

It just happened, so I bet there will be news articles and FB posts flowing about this by tomorrow.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MorrisBae posted:

uh,

no

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jon Irenicus posted:

so if its not wind then the person steering the ship deffo did something like try to steer with his feet, right?

or they lost the plant/steering

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
they were trying to drift

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Shear Modulus posted:

they were trying to drift

Deja vu

I've just been in this place before

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

or they lost the plant/steering

that’s what my money is still on, it happens a lot. eventually there will be flag reports that get published regarding what happened.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Elman posted:

earned.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/andrewperezdc/status/1375602395175120900

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

i cant find the tweet that pointed it out but that incident in 1992 where 30,000 bath toys fell overboard was also thanks to the fine people at Evergreen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

DesertIslandHermit posted:

we'll be halfway through the greatest depression and the boat will still be stuck