Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Operator impressions of those ive used. I started off with Terminal/Verge/Torque/Cherub

Torque: Scales very well into midgame, lategame you either run into a lot of enemies resisting poison spit (which does little damage most of the time) or you have more than one priority target to rope in and squeeze, or the enemies are unsqueezable. Absolute god tier early on especially against progeny who have no bind immune enemies if you go up first against them.

Verge:Great early on. He can get in some extra damage with berserk and SOMETIMES stun an enemy completely for a turn. However, I think he scales terribly. The Neural Network gimmick is harder and harder to use and he simply lacks AoE damage output that you need for late game.

Terminal: Great throughout the game. Starts off with the healing you need to stay alive and later just is a good all around support character thanks to 3 utility slots and the free turn skill. Won't ever be your mvp in a run but always a solid character to use.

Cherub: Has scaling issues due to lack of dps. Relies in getting hit with counterfire but doesnt have damage reduction abilities like Axiom. Good early game for sure, but he was my first bench warmer once he hit max rank. I never got the item that upgrades subdue damage, I think that one could keep him in the action.

Zephyr: Same scaling issues as above, but is the absolute and smashing mvp in early/midgame. Awkward to use during breach, have her go first or she'll get shot up hard. I mis-skilled her as well so she was my 2nd bench warmer.

Claymore: Absolute MVP of the run. He starts off very weak, but gets better with literally every rank. I went for the skills that give his shrapnel rupture and grenade regen on every encounter. Rupture is an absolute game changer and minimizes the time to kill on tough enemies. The sticky bomb is also hilarious, especially if they run into another enemy. Had the highest kill count of all, around 250 in my run.

Axiom: Very awkward to use at first. His innate skill is kinda trash, its unreliable. (You cant ever control when rage goes off and it's unreliable even at 5 wrath). However, if you stick with him he becomes a mega tank. The ability to reduce all incoming damage to 1 is his best skill and it triggers rather often, 50-66%ish I'd say. This means you can use him to soak up fire on the frontlines. His 4 turn cooldown skill also lets you punch someone then rage up 5 times and shoot. Very useful, especially with the rapid fire unique shotgun.

Patchwork: I got her late, so i had to drag her rear end into the missions. Basically all she could do was plink 4 damage at enemies every turn (6 with rupture). But once you get the skill that makes the done strike cause stun/disrupted she becomes very very very good. It's basically guaranteed damage and a delay on an enemy, and it triggers on the melee strikes as well. Best against robotic enemies but always useful no matter what.

I didn't grab Godmother / Shelter/ Blueblood this run but im sure I will do for the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Peachfart posted:

This is a 10 dollar game that looks to be a cool demo that they wrapped a story around. The voices are fine because most of them are pretty funny, and it is good enough.

honestly i wonder if the low price point might work against it since people are gently caress brained and assume low price == bad, the game is a ridiculous steal at that price

id probably have thrown down 30-40 dollars on it and been satisfied

e: oh yeah and i misread axiom's shrug it off ability to be reducing damage by one instead of to one. loving WHOOPS. also fireaxis b-team ffs please include how often it procs in the skill description

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 26, 2020

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

That's good to know for next campaign lol, I'm flying blind. She's at 100 dodge right now with the weave so I may regret the option but the extra mobility's great too.

Yeah I didn't know about the rank 3 dodge training option at the time but now that I do I'm going bind dmg+ from now on.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

RBA Starblade posted:

Ohhh lmao, I misunderstood the phrasing entirely.

They were already disoriented but it didn't matter. Maybe I just don't get how the status effect works now.

What I think is interesting and helps make the game work is that every character has a tragic backstory and while the game is about getting past it, no one's really over it yet. I had an incidental dialogue between Godmother and Verge with her asking him straight up what he actually did to Earth in 2015 and if he regrets it. Verge just said the dossier was sealed for a reason. He was totally the sectoid commander controlling world leaders.

He flat out says he was in another conversation with I think Terminal asking him about what he did. They point out how messed up that is and he replies the backup plan if they failed to convert the governments was to kill every sentient life form on the planet. The other person points out that he saved millions of lives and he says he came to learn that doing the less wrong thing is still wrong. He wants to atone for what he did... and go to restaurants with Claymore that aren't pandering like Ufoodle is. Not Mextra-terrestrial though, that place is garbage.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

They were already disoriented but it didn't matter. Maybe I just don't get how the status effect works now.

Well dominators also have a stun, that you just have to wait out.

RBA Starblade posted:

What I think is interesting and helps make the game work is that every character has a tragic backstory and while the game is about getting past it, no one's really over it yet. I had an incidental dialogue between Godmother and Verge with her asking him straight up what he actually did to Earth in 2015 and if he regrets it. Verge just said the dossier was sealed for a reason. He was totally the sectoid commander controlling world leaders.

Yeah but they're not wholly defined by those tragic elements. Shelter actually hates using his abilities and the game is really up front about that. It's cool that this game is making me think about the ethical implications of it's own mechanics!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I accept that to some degree, but I'm just worried this is gonna be the standard for the series going forward and that the portrayal of aliens and hybrids in this game will be what we always have.

That's reasonable, for sure. I feel like if that concern has made traction here, it probably has elsewhere too. It would definitely be a big concern for me too -- I really like the world as established by EU and WotC. If they want to make the next mainline game have this sort of setting (which would be cool -- I like the tactical flavour that multiple races potentially allows for), it's definitely something I'd hope they spend a proper amount of time and consideration on.

As it is this is XCOM Futurama: Police Brutality Edition, and I definitely dig it in isolation!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
glad we finally get an xcom where we play as the bad guys.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

BobTheJanitor posted:

You can 'end turn' on a unit standing on the evac point, then it will go to the next unit in your timeline, but still start with the previous character selected for some reason. At that point you can tab to the person whose turn it is. I'm not sure if there's any point to it, though, since the person on the evac point can only select the evac action. I think if you had something to move them back up the timeline then they might get other buttons again, otherwise you'd have to wait out the whole round. Seems like whatever hack they did to get the Xcom engine to work with interleaved turns gets a little confused when you do this.

Edit: One obvious omission from any other game that uses a timeline initiative system like this is that you can't delay your turn until later in the round, which is kind of weird.
I think this is a feature to make evacuation not 100% suicidal.

If someone is on the evac point but doesn't evacuate, they have the chance to actually GTFO on every initiative count (even with no actions remaining). So you can move to the evac point and overwatch or otherwise cover the rest of your squad, or just wait there in case someone needs to get picked up/stabilized. And if your turn comes up while waiting on the evac point, you get your turn's worth of actions.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I too am unable to remove unique weapons from characters once they've equipped them. Oh well!

Known bug. A workaround is to buy an android, that should also give you some generic guns to change out weapons.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

My favorite bug in the game, Medikits multiplying like Tribbles.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I know you guys are all about the new xcom game but i have some xcom 2 poo poo on my mind.

Things i’ve found out : Arc blades can stun codex’s and stop them from cloning.
Hacking is loving awful unless you buff it to 100+.
I had a Faceless chase an enraged Muton across the entire map and slash it to death in front of a (presumably terrified and baffled) soldier who somehow managed to get mildly injured from it as well.
Enemy viper rounds can be hilariously used when you hack advent mecs.
Mimic beacons are god.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Am I crazy or is Torque holding an invisible gun in her character art

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Internet Kraken posted:

Am I crazy or is Torque holding an invisible gun in her character art

I'm not seeing it myself.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

My favorite bug in the game, Medikits multiplying like Tribbles.

Beating my score :argh:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I too am unable to remove unique weapons from characters once they've equipped them. Oh well!

I managed to remove an epic shotgun from Claymore just fine. Now he's just holding nothing and can't be assigned any weapon back.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

Whatever you think about the Saturday Morning Cartoon aesthetic of the main characters, the background fiction and world-building in this game is stellar. Even a lot of the little micro-fiction tidbits you get at end of missions are real good.

These ones were some of my favourites (from the Archon sanctuary and ADVENT bunker missions):

Loving the posters in this game too. tHe OceAn dOesn'T wAnt hIm, bUt yoU wIll eAt hIm

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Playing XCOM 2 for the first time and the OP has been very useful, especially the mod list. Going for QoL/fix mods only but Peek From Concealment looks very interesting. Does it make the gameplay significantly different/easier? Going to play with WotC if that makes a difference.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I wish there was a disability above impossible

Yoshimo posted:

Is there any way to keep playing missions without finishing the game, or continuing after you win? Or is there a hard cap on missions?

There's a hard cap. Eventually you'll get to the point where you have to do each takedown with no other choices or end day option.

Zore posted:

Managing anarchy works as a soft timer just like panic in Xcom or the Avatar project in Xcom 2.

You can actually fairly trivially stall it in the first investigation if you aggressively pursue the tools you get. In the later ones it becomes impossible to stop though due to the increase in panic generated by not doing missions

Maybe it's just because I was playing on impossible but I finished the game at zero panic due to the Major Crimes Unit, but the final group forced the issue and had no optional missions.

Zore posted:

I still find this complaint weird. Why wouldn't they sound like humans? Especially since they're all grafted with a bunch of human DNA anyways.

Also Skirmishers in XCOM 2 didn't have a voice filter and they weren't fully human either.

Because Sectoids, Vipers, and so on still make inhuman roars in combat but then go back to sounding like a random guy who works at your office when they speak? It's jarring.

Also, hybrids definitely sounded different if only due to their speech patterns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFDSFcyMpFg

Go to like 30 seconds here and listen to how the ADVENT soldiers sound.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

mach weave is so grossly superior to +1 hp its like some kind of sick goddamn joke or they accidentally put a 0 on the end of the 5, or a designer just got drunk and thought dodge scaled instead of being a percentage value or some poo poo, its nutters

due to the way percentage scaling works its also just utterly loving gross on torque.

Mach weave is weird because the tier 2 upgrade for androids is a laughable 2% dodge.

Peachfart posted:

This is a 10 dollar game that looks to be a cool demo that they wrapped a story around. The voices are fine because most of them are pretty funny, and it is good enough.

While I disagree with that second point it does feel like Ground Zeroes. I hope it gets a proper full game, even if xcom 3 isn't it.

RBA Starblade posted:

Ohhh lmao, I misunderstood the phrasing entirely.

Er, did you miss Verge's backstory? We know exactly what he used to do.

I think Terminal is a better example of "not really over it yet" when she says completely casually she expects to die within five years. Really puts a new light on that callsign.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

honestly i wonder if the low price point might work against it since people are gently caress brained and assume low price == bad, the game is a ridiculous steal at that price

id probably have thrown down 30-40 dollars on it and been satisfied

e: oh yeah and i misread axiom's shrug it off ability to be reducing damage by one instead of to one. loving WHOOPS. also fireaxis b-team ffs please include how often it procs in the skill description

Me too, it's insanely good lol.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 26, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

XCOM 2: a berseker is the size of a barn how are you idiots missing ALL of your overwatch shots?!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Also even putting aside the voice work I don't care what anyone says, the Mutons look like loving garbage.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

Cherub: Has scaling issues due to lack of dps. Relies in getting hit with counterfire but doesnt have damage reduction abilities like Axiom. Good early game for sure, but he was my first bench warmer once he hit max rank. I never got the item that upgrades subdue damage, I think that one could keep him in the action.

Cherub can't use the impact frame of course :smith:
He is specifically excluded from it, just to make him extra useless.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 26, 2020

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
I honestly like the voices not having effects. I don't know about anyone else but sometimes with vocal effects I find it difficult to pick up on what people are saying, and since it's not likely that it's toggleable in a settings menu I usually have to rely on subtitles to understand bits of dialogue, and that's hardly ideal so it's refreshing to not have to deal with that so much. It's a very minor and occasional thing, but still.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What exactly does Stunned 1 do? Stunned 2 makes them lose an entire turn, but stunned 1 seems to not do anything?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

canepazzo posted:

What exactly does Stunned 1 do? Stunned 2 makes them lose an entire turn, but stunned 1 seems to not do anything?

Enemies have 2 actions per turn like you do. Stunned one takes away one of those actions.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Stunned 1 makes you regret using verge.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Enemies have 2 actions per turn like you do. Stunned one takes away one of those actions.

Thanks, that makes sense. Is the Faceless melee attack part of a charge then? I've seen them move and attack after a Stunned 1

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

StrixNebulosa posted:

XCOM 2: a berseker is the size of a barn how are you idiots missing ALL of your overwatch shots?!

Missed a point blank 95% and a 75% one after the other.
Yet i can be shot through heavy cover from miles away while hunkered down.
Fun.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

canepazzo posted:

Thanks, that makes sense. Is the Faceless melee attack part of a charge then? I've seen them move and attack after a Stunned 1

All melee attacks can be included with movement other than the Andromedon wreck's, I believe.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

canepazzo posted:

In theory it should lose one action but aliens that have stunned 1 always run n gun for me so I have no idea myself.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

canepazzo posted:

might depend on how far away you are. I would imagine you can do a move and hit attack much like subdue. could be a bug too

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Er, did you miss Verge's backstory? We know exactly what he used to do.

No, but I mean I think he's that particular sectoid commander, and not just a rando sectoid that was mind controlling vips or whatever

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really wanna know how Faceless fared after the invasion. It was never clear how intelligent they were, but to work as undercover agents they'd have to be able to pass as humans in more than just looks, so there's gotta be some intelligence.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

Verge:Great early on. He can get in some extra damage with berserk and SOMETIMES stun an enemy completely for a turn. However, I think he scales terribly. The Neural Network gimmick is harder and harder to use and he simply lacks AoE damage output that you need for late game.

His rifle always puts in the work (take Crowdsourcing) and the stuns have saved me multiple times against those big Andromedan acidlauncher assholes.
Levitate is useful to disable aggressive high HP during breach, and gives you a hit/crit bonus for the entire encounter.
Induce panic or whatever it's called is called is ok for a good laugh occasionally.

Compared to some of the others he's very good, and fun.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 26, 2020

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The voices are good actually, especially Zephyr's, who is the best.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

Also even putting aside the voice work I don't care what anyone says, the Mutons look like loving garbage.

yeah id rather they kept their freaky faces. sectoids its either or on but i think they could have just done fine with skull faces. its a weird decision and strikes me as a sort of cowardice of some variety; oh we can't make the aliens still look like freaky xenos because theyre good now, which means they need to have discordantly human faces? its such a strange step that i do want to hear the logic behind it all.

Disproportionation posted:

I honestly like the voices not having effects. I don't know about anyone else but sometimes with vocal effects I find it difficult to pick up on what people are saying, and since it's not likely that it's toggleable in a settings menu I usually have to rely on subtitles to understand bits of dialogue, and that's hardly ideal so it's refreshing to not have to deal with that so much. It's a very minor and occasional thing, but still.

yeah i kind of thought the same thing, like its just one of those things thats done without much thought that its almost a more interesting and bold choice to go without it. aaallllmost.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tiler Kiwi posted:

yeah id rather they kept their freaky faces. sectoids its either or on but i think they could have just done fine with skull faces. its a weird decision and strikes me as a sort of cowardice of some variety; oh we can't make the aliens still look like freaky xenos because theyre good now, which means they need to have discordantly human faces? its such a strange step that i do want to hear the logic behind it all.

With the mutons I figured it's because the drugs from the respirator thing wore off and with the sectoids I figured it's because they're allowed to eat and not be exposed to the elements, and also it's just a style choice for the game.

The biggest retcon which didn't seem to have a reason behind it to me was how a lot of ADVENT troopers were apparently not vat-grown but humans that were gene modified and mind wiped, which I guess follows how the Chosen were the same thing, but there's no real hint of that in XCOM 2.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

A bug that hopefully won't get fixed, if you swap weapons around between members the size doesn't change.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

XCOM 2 just crashed on me, think I should play some Chimera Squad and see if I can't get it to crash too? :sigh:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

StrixNebulosa posted:

XCOM 2 just crashed on me, think I should play some Chimera Squad and see if I can't get it to crash too? :sigh:

Chimera Squad at least autosaves every turn.

I think I had 3 crashes total in my 25 hour campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Just beat a mission by triggering the evac condition with zephyr, who was able to evac on the same turn as her first move. Thanks Zephyr!